Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

So they arrived to a place not too far,

Where Transvestite strippers danced on the bar.

Three of who, seemed exceedingly jolly,

Ironically named Tinsel, Vixen, and Holly.

"He was singing karaoke?" a disbelieving Justin questioned Vixen's retelling of the night's events.

"Oh was he ever sweet cheeks." she locked Justin's eyes "He was crooning Elvis so velvet, had these boys salivating all over themselves." she gestured towards Woody's remaining patrons.

The blond just grinned, a little uncomfortable at the thought of Brian being pawed at. Silly of course, considering their past. Justin was definitely no stranger to sharing his partner. Although, the brunet had committed to him exclusively since the wedding; he'd always feel a smidgen of jealousy.

He looked now at his husband. The man was preoccupied with the tiny artificial Christmas tree that sat on the bar. Justin watched as Brian thoughtlessly poked and tapped it's ornaments with his slender finger.

"Blue balls." he poked at the literal ornaments and met Justin's eyes. Hazel appeared to smile.

And there Brian stood with his mind on his ache,

The sexual frustration was too much to take.

The balls on the tree, dangled symbolic and true,

Much like his own, one plastic, both blue.

Almost too quick for the blond to notice, a standing Brian slid himself the length of the bar on his elbows. Now, he was but inches from his husband's face.

The blond was surprised that he was surprised by just how strongly he smelled of alcohol. Instinctively, Justin took a step back, or several.

"Blue balls." Brian repeated "Blue, Bluuuue, Blue, Christmaaaas-s-s." he attempted to sing the Elvis holiday hit. Brian cocked his head slightly to focus on Vixen, who was staring at him amused.

"Sunshine here," he nodded towards the blond with a vicious head flip that was undoubtedly causing a head rush. "wants my Christmas very blue." Brian practically pouted as he stroked his own ornaments gingerly through his pants.

Vixen laughed. Justin didn't.

"Hey, welcome back Kinney!" The boisterous voice of Ed, the bartender pulled Brian away.

Turning, Justin addressed Vixen again. "Uh," he started slowly, unsure of just what he wanted to ask first. "just out of curiosity," he tried to remain casual "Brian wasn't dressed as Santa during his performance was he?" He eyed Vixen's own glittery Santa-esque ensemble and hoped she hadn't taken his words as mockery. To his relief, she smiled.

"Why, no." a light chuckle, "Though, I'd have quite liked to have seen that." she nodded and looked at Justin with unreadable eyes. "He was wearing his standard high and mighty stud slut suit. Armani, I think." Vixen confirmed then turned to face her drink.

Out of his peripheral vision, Justin saw Brian bring a cup to his lips. He turned swiftly, but was still too slow. 'Christ, Brian was never going to sober up, if he kept drinking.' Justin was starting to miss his sober husband.

"That's some damn fine eggnog!" the brunet complimented Ed.

Justin kept quiet while he watched the bartender duck down, evidently searching for something. A soft tap to his shoulder startled Justin slightly.

"Hey Justin." It was Jordan, or as he was known tonight, Holly. "Did Brian here tell you he judged the Ho-Ho-Hoe contest this year?" The blond just shook his head. That was just one of the items on the infinite list of things Brian hadn't shared. "I won!" Holly clapped excitedly, and turned to give Justin a 360 degree view of her frilly, over-the-top Avant Garde outfit.

Here we are!" Ed's declaration pulled all three men's attention. Looking at the object the man held in the air, excited Justin some. Brian's cell phone. He could only hope something on it would provide some answers.

"You left this." he started to hand the cell to Brian, only to be intercepted by Justin's smaller, greedy hands.

Brian opened his mouth, said nothing, then promptly shut it.

Justin dialed access to Brian's voice mail, where which two messages sat in wait.

"First message.an automated voice announced. Carl Horvath's voice took over:

"Brian, it's Carl. Listen, a few of the boys have gotten a report of some indecent exposure, a streaker on Liberty Avenue. Now, I told em' I'd handle it because the witness' description sounded...familiar. If it's you, do us all a favor kid, put on some pants. (A small chuckle) Merry Christmas. We missed you tonight, but we'll see you tomorrow."

Justin felt his face grow hot, feeling the embarrassment his husband was incapable of. He listened again for message number two.

The voice was soft, foreign, and female:

"Hello Mr. Kinney. This is nurse Gosling from Allegheny General. I'm calling to let you know that you've left your personal effects bag in our E.R. It'll be waiting for you at the head nurse's station. Thank you, and Happy Holidays."

'The hospital.' Justin reprimanded himself for not going there first. Relieved he'd finally learn what happened to Brian's finger, and ass; and excited that more than likely they'd find his missing ring and car. Justin let himself relax...just a little; fearsome of how quickly his tension would return.

He shot some half-assed, haphazard waves and Christmas greetings around the bar, then pulled his husband outside.

Minutes later they arrived unsure,

Just what else lie in store?

Into the E.R. they hastily rushed,

One cold. One drunk. Both faces flushed.

The instant they entered the hospital, Justin almost regretted it. A vibrant array of staff members flocked to them; all of whom were excitedly chattering. The blond was caught smack dab in the center of a cyclone of words. None of which he could understand as the nurses clumsily fawned over Brian's return. (Coherence and sobriety obviously didn't deter the Ol' Kinney pull) Given the fact that they were addressing his husband by name, they were definitely in the right place.

A place, where, apparently Brian had assembled himself a fan club.

The aforementioned club members were currently clapping as Justin saw the man attempting to juggle several pieces of fruit from a nearby basket. The delicious image of their very first night together emerged from the depths of his memory. He shook his head at the knowledge that obscure, uncoordinated handstands couldn't be far behind.

"Oh." an older woman cooed loudly, and pinched Justin's cheek. "You must be Sunshine, we've heard a lot about you." she finished. He wished he could said 'likewise'.

He was unsure as to what he'd wanted to focus on. The delightful fact that an intoxicated Brian enjoyed boasting about him, or the sting in his cheeks and flashbacks of his terrifying Aunt Jean pinching him senseless at family gatherings. He chose neither and chose to focus instead on the task at hand. Retrieving Brian's belongings.

Leaving the brunet happily basking in the glow of his newfound admirers, Justin approached the nurse's station.

A petite brunette with perfect posture and inviting eyes, smiled up at him. Before he'd introduced himself she spoke,"Oh, the famous Sunshine I presume?"

Justin mirrored her smile "Apparently." He said with a shrug.

"Your husband's quite the hero."

Blue eyes inquired details, the woman obliged.

"When he first came in here, he brought in an elderly lady with him. Evidently, he saved her from being damn near run over tonight."

"Wow." Justin whispered.

The nurse went on, "She was wandering downtown, Poor things got Alzheimers. He moved her out of harm's way. Slipped himself, landed hard on a patch of ice. A miracle he didn't break anything. A nearby officer drove him in his car to be checked out."

Justin stifled a laugh, he knew was wrong,

Thanks to Brian, the old lady was here.

It took all he had not to burst into the song,

Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

Despite his best efforts, a small giggle escaped. He attempted to mask it with a phony cough.

"She was lucky Mr. Kinney was there." she nodded, and held up a finger, signaling Justin to wait as she answered the phone. "Alleghany General..." her words trailed from earshot as Justin glanced back at Brian; who just waved happily and chatted up both the men and the women surrounding him.

"Here ya are." he heard the nurse address him once more. She handed him a small clear drawstring bag, examining it's contents, Justin felt a sharp pang of disappointment. No ring. No clothes. Hell, there wasn't much of anything. Just Brian's wallet, a handful of chewing gum, a parking voucher for the hospital garage and keys Justin recognized as his own.

A sense of dread found the pit of his belly as he remembered for the first time tonight that Brian had driven his SUV today. He was now even more anxious to get to the parking lot, he silently prayed that his beautiful car remained intact.

"No clothes? Justin asked.

"He arrived here in a Santa suit." The nurse said cheerily.

"I noticed his stitches and the band-aid on his finger."

The woman sighed lightly, "As for the finger I can't say, came in with the band-aid. But, as for the stitches on his..." she blushed "Well, at first we thought it was from the fall. But, after the examination, he appears to have been bitten by an animal. A dog or something."

"A reindeer?" Justin asked dryly.

"I suppose it could've been, I wasn't in the room when he was getting fixed up, but don't worry. I know they gave him a rabies vaccine just as a precaution." she said reassuringly.

"Great." the blond deadpanned.

"Hey, listen Before we go, do you think you could do me a favor?" Justin leaned in to whisper. The girl nodded. "Could you please get him to let you examine his finger?" he laughed at the absurdity of it all. "He's a little 'Holiday Happy' (he motioned drinking) prompting a giggle from the nurse "He won't let me look."

"I'll try." she offered.

"Thank you. Do I need to sign anything?" Justin inquired.

"Nope, all set." the nurse said through a smile.

Justin gave the nurse a half smile as they both walked up to Brian's side.

With the bandage removed, Justin just stared.

What else could he do?

There sat the proof of just how deep Brian cared.

His ring reading 'Sunshine' tattoo.

Taking in the elegant script encircling his husband's finger did silly things to Justin's everything. 'Fuck. How he loved this man.' He only briefly allowed himself to worry if Brian would regret the ink tomorrow. For now, while Brian swam in liquor, he would happily drown in the man's emotional downpour.

"Found the car." he dangled the keys, laughing at the brunet's reaction.

His hazel eyes twinkled, in a way not unlike an infant distracted by chiming, shiny objects.

"Time to go, say goodbye to your little friends." Justin said only half in jest.

He was fucking exhausted.

Too tired even, to protest as he watched Brian scarf down half a dozen rum balls from the decorative dish on the nurse's counter.

The brisk air sobered, but not very much.

Brian still stumbled and slurred.

His hands still groped and sloppily touched.

His vision still doubly blurred.