Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Stepping into the hallway, Justin's joints screamed, resisted. His muscles seemed to be in agreement with his suddenly hallowed shivering bones.

Even as his body protested, Justin's mind still guided him. His determination and desire to end this walked ahead of his common sense.

Almost immediately he heard his creator's horridly dry laugh. A new revolting tremor seized him as he recalled how he'd once found that sound enchanting. 'He'd been a fool'. For surely no intelligent man could've mistaken this laugh as anything but what it was... a smug, breathy escape of disgusting arrogance.

"Ah, my love." Brandon greeted.

The miniscule remnants of Ben's blood churned in Justin's stomach. Physically and metaphorically swallowing his hesitance, Justin met Brandon's eyes.

He was not about to let this man get to him.

He was far from the frightened, weakling this monster had made. Justin was alive again, had a purpose, a heart. A beautiful heart safely tucked away behind Brian's bronzed chest.

Gazing into green eyes made Justin's own wish to close. Within them he saw nothing like the warmth he loved in hazel. In fact, he saw nothing but coldness. He almost saw nothing at all.

The vast emptiness had him yearning now for Brian's stare. It's endless depth, hazel's inexplicable beauty. 'Soon. He'd see those eyes again.' he promised himself, then returned his attention to his creator.

"My boy." Brandon cooed, his voice like grated steel.

Justin had grown so used to the glorious music of Brian's heart, that Brandon's rasp assaulted his ears.

"Never since you, have I found another as perfect." Brandon said in a whisper, frighteningly resembling sincerity.

Then and there Justin decided 'If going with him would ensure Brian be left alone, alive...there were no options.' He swallowed hard when he felt icy fingertips brush his neck. Justin's flesh crawled on his bones.

"I had a companion for a while. He was as curious and power hungry as I was. I quite liked a bit of competition." he paused and leaned closer to Justin "It made for exciting fierceness in the bedroom." he purred.

The blond's nausea resurfaced.

"But," Brandon continued, removing his touch and turning to slowly pace the hall. Justin's face was relieved at those fingers' departure. "The naive imbecile went and got himself staked. He never could grasp the careless impulsiveness of man." The vampire smacked his lips together and shook his head. "Reckless creature."

Again, creator drew close to creation. "Not like you. Genius, Beauty and a talent to rival no ones."

Compliments from Brandon's lips had not the desired effect. Instead of building confidence, Justin suddenly longed to fade away.

"I went to Hollywood, though I learned their brightest star had moved to a better galaxy. So, when I heard the Big Apple's Prodigal Son had returned," he cocked his head and half smiled "I of course just had to drop by and catch up."

"You shouldn't have." Justin replied dryly.

Brandon laughed. Justin was profusely convinced that Satan's voice wouldn't sound as menacing. Pure evil lie irrevocably infused to the deepest roots of Brandon's existence. An existence as distant, dark, and terrifying as any hell was capable.

The delicate features Brandon had expected to find, rested harshly on Justin's face. Though still as breathtaking as ever, the blond's hardened defiance changed him. Not necessarily for the worse, Brandon decided.

In fact, stronger will meant stronger resistance, which for him meant twice the fun of the hunt...thrice the excitement of capture. And capture he would.

He'd allowed Justin to get this silly human out of his system. Enabled him to play make-believe while he frivolously sampled the flavors of New Yorkers. Now, it was time to collect. To once again retrieve what rightfully belonged to him. His most magnificent creation to date.

"I believe I've met my quota for kindness. I've let you spend more time with that mortal than I could stomach." he informed the other man who went rigid at his touch. A reaction that enticed the deviant in him. Nothing pleased Brandon more than reinforcing his dominance, maintaining control.

"Kind?" Justin challenged bewildered through clenched teeth. "You're nothing of the sort; you're a monster."

"A monster?" Brandon exclaimed in mock surprise "Well then, what do we suppose that makes you?" he brought his eyes to Justin's.

"I'd tell you to take a look in the mirror..." he smiled widely "But, of course we both know what you'd find, or rather what you wouldn't. Now," Brandon continued eerily calm "why don't you climb down off that pedestal before you hurt yourself."

The man's condescending tone infuriated Justin further. So angry in fact he hadn't even acknowledged the gesture when Brandon took his hands into his own.

"These adorable hands," Brandon started, pausing a moment to kiss each one, "are not as clean of blood as you pretend; you fool not even yourself."

Momentarily ashamed not only of the truth behind Brandon's words, but too embarrassed that he had allowed the bastard to humiliate him. Even before an audience of no one, Justin felt over exposed, the heated spotlight revealing the cracks in his act.

Brandon was right. 'How was he any less evil?' Still he had killed. Still he knew intimately the taste of blood and song of fear.

For the first time since he'd confronted Brandon tonight, Justin dropped his eyes. Mimicking his head, that now too faced the ground.

All of the strength he'd embraced before, had vanished. Too quickly, the blond felt himself giving up, growing weak, giving in.

Brandon stood, eyes fixed on Justin's form. A form he knew so well, yet one he no longer really knew at all.

A heightened intrigue peaked within, as he contemplated the full intimate reintroduction to said form. Nevertheless, the petite blond's body language was still easily read. Brandon had no trouble deciphering the man's hunched shoulders, loose features, and hung head. 'He was winning.'

"It pleases me to see you're planning to come without a fight." he said retrieving something from his pocket. Justin hadn't needed to look up to know it was his mother's locket.

"You can't blame me for wanting a little insurance policy..." the older vampire went on. Justin caught the movement in his Peripheral vision; as his token swayed with Brandon's fingers.

"Although, contrary to your belief, I don't want to take you by force. I've given you time to say your goodbyes to, Brian is it?" Brandon finished, voice implying he was doing Justin some kind of a favor.

Hearing Brian's name on those callous lips made Justin gag. It felt wrong, unjustifiable, impossible for pure evil to speak the name of an angel. Sac-religion at it's finest.

"You've been following him, us." Justin stated fact with no unnecessary accusation . "Ah," Brandon's eyes came alight, he lowered his voice to an excited hush; like whispered anticipation of surprise party goers. "Stargazing, moonlit strolls hand in hand. How nauseatingly cliché . It'd almost be romantic if it weren't so utterly ridiculous." Brandon straightened his posture and demanded Justin's eyes.

"He is rather delicious, for that I commend you." he practically giggled, then looked up toward the ceiling as if to ponder a complex notion. "I wonder if he taste as yummy as he looks."

Ignoring further contemplation on actually joining Brandon, Justin only focused on his heart. "I won't let you hurt him." he said firmly, with an almost unfathomable fierceness. He straightened his posture steadying himself both physically and emotionally.

He raised his head and stared darkness in the face.

Relying solely on the illumination of Brian's bright soul to light the way. The very light that had already begun to shine within Justin's own darkened life. Brian's soft, warm glow seemingly beamed from Justin's pores. Something that had not gone unnoticed by the other vampire.

"My my isn't this touching?" Brandon smiled "Playing the role of protector. I'd much conclude the only thing your Prince Charming has to fear...is you." he tapped the tip of Justin's nose like he were a small child, or puppy.

"This Professor Kinney certainly must be something. Surely I'd guessed the Ethan boy was not your mate. Though I killed him just the same. His infatuation with you..." he paused "annoyed me." he concluded with a repulsive casualness and a delicate flick of his wrist.

"Tell me Juliet," Brandon inquired almost sing-song. "what's to become of poor Romeo when he finds out what you are?"

Justin's body perked up in response to his Creator's words. He needed to kill the smug sneer on the man's face; and he had just the ammunition.

He straightened his shoulders, and didn't try to halt his own smug smirk; "He already knows...and, he still loves me."

Blue didn't blink.

"Real love. Unlike anything you've ever known. Truer than your life of lies." Justin's features hardened in time with Brandon's.

'Surely this was insanity. Tapping the cage to taunt the beast.' Especially when the beast itself contained a key to freedom. Justin thought quickly spotting his locket still in the other vampire's grasp. This particular beast possessed the ability to imprison in an instant the small blond.

Much of Justin was telling himself to stop. Then again, Justin Taylor had never been much of a quitter.

He was enjoying the shocked tension his declaration had induced. Perhaps he enjoyed it too much.

The truth tasted bitter on Brandon's tongue. He swallowed the foulness and sterned his features. He wasn't about to let Justin see his reaction. Of course he already knew that shock had been displayed; he tried now to hide the intensity of his disgust. His jealousy.

He had had no intentions of hurting this brunet human, though now he was quickly changing his mind.

Brandon cleared his throat, faux smile firmly in place. "Ah, and so the plot thickens in this epic romance. You always were one for dramatic flare. Like those shows you so adore."

Justin watched the man with narrow eyes, suspicious now of his nonchalance.

"Tell me, have you had a chance to take in many shows since you've arrived in the city?" Brandon grinned ruefully, and caught Justin's gaze. "I myself, feeling a bit nostalgic, thought I'd go see your favorite. Though imagine my surprise when I arrived at the Majestic Theater." Brandon's smile broadened at Justin's nervous shift in body language. " I wasn't disappointed mind you. True, I'd missed the night's final Phantom's showing. But I assure you, I did manage to view quite the enticing performance." he trailed the last syllable like a snake about to strike.

"How dare you follow me, invade my intimate moments!" Justin spoke through clenched teeth.

Brandon laughed. Justin didn't.

"Oh relax, it's nothing I haven't seen before." Brandon purred before continuing "Although, I must say, as hot as it was, nothing turned me on more than your playing. Yet of course I'll try to pretend you were playing for me and not him."

At the mention of his sonata, a rush of new qualms came forth. Through the commotion, he'd almost forgotten that Brandon had performed his composition for an audience. Had probably done so for years. The heated anger spurred from this fact, once again blazed. Aggressively threatening to engulf him in flames of hatred unless he soon extinguished it with confrontation.

He stepped closer to Brandon. "You've played my sonata, how could you?" he attempted not to bring tears with his words.

"Oh come now." Brandon countered, no hint of remorse in his voice. "The crowd loved it. It truly is beautiful, though not nearly as much as it's composer. Finished or not, the song is brilliant." he drew close to Justin, pressing his body tightly against the smaller vampire's. He leaned close, whispering his cool breath against Justin's. "You're brilliant." his breathy words, prematurely silenced as he crushed his mouth to Justin's.

A revoltion like he'd never known swam through Justin's veins. Brandon's ice cold lips somehow burned his entire face.

With an intentional roughness, Justin withdrew from the 'kiss'. Brandon met his eyes. Justin swallowed his disgust, then quickly spat it back into Brandon's startled face.

"I hate you." Justin stated defiantly.

Brandon's previously empty eyes were now filled to the brim. They were practically overflowing with cold fury and madness. His winterly gaze emitted an invisible frost, welding his creation to the door. Justin was suddenly reminded of Medusa's deadly stare. Shivers of ice slithered through his already stone body. They writhed furiously like the Dark Goddess' infamous snakes.

Justin's right hand seemingly defrosted, his thawed fingertips just now taking notice of the steel door to Brian's apartment. 'Brian. His world. His life.' existed but inches away. His tattered, yet healing heart, beat with worry.

Brian continuously polished his apartment's wooden floors with his socked feet.

It had been nearly ten minutes since he'd last seen the sun. Since Justin had stepped into the hall, leaving Brian in an inescapable darkness. A consistently dimming blackness filled with worry and wait.

He fucking hated waiting.

The hallway had been dreadfully quiet.

He knew first hand the capable softness in Justin's voice. Brian assumed the blond had been deliberately speaking hushed to prevent his overactive distress.

It hadn't worked.

He was a distressed mess.

Behind five minutes of silence were five more. Equally as agonizing.

It was a frightening quiet. Like the endless moment in between a skipping heartbeat and the next sound of your pulse. When you can't help but worry the muscle in your heart may never again expand.

On the eleventh minute, Brian heard the sound of someone being pushed against his door. Suddenly, he found himself begging for the peaceful silence. The thumping on metal only elevated his panic.

He went to the door.

Justin listened as Brian's worry changed into frantic determination. He too could hear the Professor's nervous pacing transform into steps that had a destination.

'Don't open the door.' the blond tried to will his partner telepathically.

It didn't work.

He stiffened a bit when he saw Brandon's hateful eyes soften with intrigue. There was no mistaking that he too had become aware of Brian's approach.

If he had not already been cold blooded, Justin knew his body would've drained of warmth.

"Ooo!" Brandon clapped his hands giddily "It seems we've attracted the attention of your little pet. Here comes your Reckless Romeo now." he continued to sing in delight.

In a swift motion, the taller vampire pulled Justin away from the door and swiveled his body to face it.

Within seconds steel disappeared. In it's place Brian stood.

"Oh Dear, it seems he is going to be a problem after all." Brandon stated simply.

Of all the sights before him, Brian Kinney saw only one thing. Blue. Crystal blue he tried desperately to read.

There was a pleading evident in his eyes. 'Go inside. It's under control.' they said. Brian ignored them.

He eventually placed his own eyes on the infamous Brandon. Brian was a bit taken aback by the man's, the monster's good looks. He understood instantly how the vampire easily coaxed his prey. Had coaxed Mikey.

Albeit, now in comparison with Justin, the other vampire could have just as easily been invisible. For a moment, he had been. Brian fixated on nothing but his Sunshine.

Instinctively, the Professor's sights honed in on Brandon's hands. Those revolting bony fingers caressing Justin's stone shoulders. He zoned further on the shiny gold laced within those fingers.

He shot Justin a panicked stare. He was fairly certain that the blond remained in control of his own mind. The weak smile dusting Justin's lips confirmed as such.

"Brian go inside." Justin said firmly.

It was not the brunet who spoke next. "Oh," Brandon almost whined "don't send him away, we haven't even gotten to play with him yet. My word, he is something alright. Simply breathtaking." the predator gushed with genuine awe. "Are you positive you're human?" he inquired with a half cocked head.

Justin loathed Brandon addressing Brian directly. Quickly he shifted out from under his creator's grasp and took Brian's hand into his own.

Brandon smacked his lips. "Now, isn't this just adorable? Really," Brandon mimicked wiping a stray tear from his cheek, "my heart, it warms."

Brian had expected a multitude of things from the demon that turned Justin. Arrogant sarcasm however, had not been one of them.

Hazel looked to blue in confusion. The blond just blinked, equally as apprehensive by Brandon's playfulness.

It indeed confused him, but nearly as much as it terrified. He had no idea what the man wanted, nor' what he'd had planned for either him or Brian Kinney. His thoughts were interrupted by that hideous cooing again.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" he happily asked the Professor "I swear we've met before. Although," he chuckled "I'm pretty sure I'd remember a face such as yours."

With this man once more addressing his heart, Justin stepped protectively in front of it.

Brandon halted his short journey towards them.

He cupped a crooked finger around his ear, another pressed to his lips. "Shh. Listen. Do you hear that?" he asked aloud. "There's love in the mortals song. How blissfully dull." he finished. "I wonder, do you think the tone would remain as lovely, if I ripped it from his chest?" His smile spread on his face like an unrestrained fire in hell.

"No!" Justin yelled, though was cut short with Brandon's sharp tongue.

"Ah, that's where I recognize you from." he lowered his head "Pittsburgh." he spoke as he peered through his lashes. "Mmm, yes." he said, closing his eyes to view the memory. "You were gorgeous even then." he remembered with an appreciative nod. "Though you weren't alone. I recall that slender young lad. His name..." he waved his hand towards the ceiling "escapes me."

"Michael." Brian growled through strained muscles and a grinding bite.

Brandon put his hands up as if to say 'OK I apologize' "Michael." the vampire parroted carelessly "In truth, he tasted bitter. Nothing spoils a meal quite like unrequited love. Honestly," he said through a sickening smile "he wasn't even worth the effort."

Justin could hear the emotions fueling Brian's actions. Regardless, the brunet was too quick to stop.

With growing trepidation, Brian crossed the threshold in a moment of blind fury.

"See. Reckless." Brandon confirmed his assessment; fangs now plainly unsheathed.

 

Chapter End Notes: