Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Broken Angel – 3

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

 

Brian laughed out loud when Daphne raced out of the gate and threw herself in his arms. “Excited much?” he asked swinging her around like some kind of

hetero love story.

“You have no idea how excited I am.” Daphne grinned. “You look better than you did yesterday.” They often spoke via web cam whenever they had a chance. “A day off is what you needed.”

“Sleep is what I needed. I sleep great when Justin does. There were no night terrors last night. I think it was knowing you were arriving today that did it.”

“The Chief sent me the pictures Justin took of the puppies. He wouldn’t tell me how many were rejected before the three Justin approved were sent.”

“He wouldn’t tell me either.” Brian smiled. “Any luggage?”

“No, just this bag. I travel light.” She held onto Brian’s hand. “Is he really doing good? I mean I know this camera thing you got him has given him something to do besides therapy, but is he really back with us?”

“He has his moments. I spoke with his doctor and it’s to be expected. I guess it’s kind of like a circuit board that’s been damaged by shaking. It takes time to settle into what it used to be. And it might not ever happen. We need to be prepared for that. His intelligence tests are off the charts so we can be grateful for that. But because he’s cognitive, he knows too much and expects too much. It’s a catch 22 kind of thing. He gets frustrated, but everyday brings about a few changes. He says a few words. Some come up mixed up, but generally we know what he’s saying. When he gets frustrated he sits with the dogs. They calm him.”

“Have you heard from his parents?”

“No.” Brian didn’t want to think about Justin’s parents. He knew that his Angel was hurt by their absence. He’d tried to ask about them but couldn’t get the words out. Brian knew what he was saying but pretended not to understand. It was frustrating for both of them.

“Sucks to be them. Justin will get better and they’ll be the losers.” She almost spit out the words. Anyone hurting her friend made her so angry she could hit someone.

“Hey there spit fire.” Brian leaned down and kissed her cheek. “Justin is lucky to have you for a friend.”

“He’s lucky he found you.” Daphne playfully punched Brian’s shoulder. “You’ve more than stood by him.” She looked up at Brian. “You really love him don’t you?”

“He’s special. As for love, what the fuck is that? I don’t know. I know he’s special and always has been for me. I know I need to see that he gets the care he needs to be the man he was meant to be.”

“But Brian...” Daphne began.

“Lets just leave it at that. It’s too nice a day to analyze things to death. Justin is my friend, my good friend. I have his back, just like he’d do for me if the roles were reversed. Time will tell if there’s more than that.”

Daphne knew better than to push the proud man walking beside her. What he’d done already for Justin went beyond friendship. Brian had changed his whole life, not that he’d ever admit it to anyone, certainly not to Justin.

Daphne squealed when she saw Justin standing on the porch waiting for them. He had an orange cat on his shoulder. He grinned and rubbed his ear telling her she was too loud. She grabbed his arms and kissed him over and over making the cat hiss and then jump down. “You look amazing.” She said grinning and kissing him again.

“Enough with the fan girl act.” Brian stood on the bottom step, Daphne’s bag in one hand, her purse in the other. “You’d think you’d never seen him before. He’s the same old Justin as he ever was.”

Justin stuck his tongue out at Brian. A new trick he’d learned earlier in the day.

“Turn him around and start him walking, he catches on quick, he just needs a boot in the ass to get him moving.” Brian moved past the two friends, unobtrusively turning Justin and then patting his ass.

“Brian.” Daphne was scandalized that Brian would talk to Justin like he did.

“Fffuck yyyou.” Justin said with a smile.

“Not lately you haven’t.” Brian replied tongue in cheek. “Maybe Daphne will put up with you.”

Justin sighed. He really would like to fuck Brian, but it sure wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.

“I want to see the puppies.” Daphne gushed. She hooked an arm through Justin’s and led him into the kitchen having followed Brian’s pantomimed directions. “Oh my gawd, they’re adorable.”

The puppies, their eyes barely open, were crawling over each other in the dog bed. Maisie was on the outside of the bed sleeping in a patch of sunlight.

I’m happy to see Daphne even if she is touchy feely. It’s not so bad when she touches me. Maisie doesn’t mind her glomming the babies, but I don’t think Cat likes her much. I wonder what Brian meant when he said what he did. He doesn’t even touch me other than like a brother, or Gus. I wish he’d at least kiss me the way he used to. When he’s sleeping I touch him and sometimes he puts his arms around me in the old way. I feel safe. But he’s usually gone when I wake up. The Chief says I’m getting better ‘cause I can say a few words. I don’t want to be Brian’s gimp ‘friend’. I want to be his lover.

Daphne had been watching Justin from the corner of her eye. She could tell he was troubled about something and that something was Brian Kinney. The man was infuriating. But at the same time he was the best thing ever that had come into Justin’s life. “Justin, I want this one.” Daphne held up one of the wiggling puppies. It was almost all black with white feet. “I’m going to call her Hope.”  

“Little girl, your mommy would tell you that you don’t have time for a puppy.” Brian spoke from behind them. “You have school and long, long hours of hospital time to put in.”

“That’s okay, Justin will keep Hope for me until I get through with that stuff. And I’ll have her all my off time.”

“Justin will, will he?” Brian looked at his Angel who was grinning and nodding. There was no way he could take that look away. “Well, I’m not paying for dog food. And you have to have her spayed. No more puppies for this group.”

“Of course I will Brian. I’m a responsible dog owner.” Daphne reached for her purse and pulled out a small pink dog collar with rhinestone hearts on it. “I even have her first collar with me.” She quickly put the collar around the puppy’s neck. Hope’s tongue licked Daphne’s nose before snuggling into Daphne’s neck. “She likes me.” Daphne whispered to Justin.

“Llloves yyou.” Justin said to Daphne, while looking into Brian’s eyes. Brian looked away first, he couldn’t stand to see the raw emotion in Justin’s eyes.

 

“Holy shit, two days this week.” Debbie greeted Brian when he walked in the diner. “Who died?”

“Good afternoon to you to Deb.” Brian kissed her cheek. “I think I’ll have a chicken salad, hold the croutons. And a coffee.” He sat down beside Ted who had been reading the paper. “Hey Ted, what’s new?”

“Not much. I saw that kid that got bashed the other day.”

“You did?” Brian kept his face guarded.

“He and some old guy were coming out of the medical clinic on Third. I was there for back therapy. I tried to talk to him, but shit he freaked out. He just stood there making weird sounds looking scared until the old guy kind of hugged him and pulled him out the door. It made me stop and think about how lucky I was. I mean I could have ended up brain damaged like he is. It’s a shame, he was kind of a sweet kid. He might as well be dead now, if that’s his life.”

Brian’s fists were clenched so tight, his nails broke the skin on his hands. The Chief had mentioned that Justin had met someone at the clinic and had reacted badly, but he hadn’t said just how badly. He wanted to scream with frustration at Ted and his thoughtless words. But he couldn’t. He couldn’t say anything without revealing his secret. His Angel was broken, but he wasn’t beyond repair. This was all the more reason to keep him away from Liberty Avenue and the gang.

Instead all he could do was stand up and leave. He didn’t dare open his mouth to say anything he was so upset.

“Where did Brian go?” Deb asked. “I have his order ready.”

“I don’t know. He just got up and left. I was telling him about seeing that kid. You know the one, Brian’s little boy toy, the one that was bashed. I mean the kid is completely wacko now. I guess Brian didn’t know.”

“Brian always did have a soft heart.” Deb muttered. “It’s a crying shame what happened to Justin. I didn’t know he still lived here. Maybe I should try and find him.”

“I don’t know Deb. The kid isn’t Justin anymore. He’s, he’s, well he’s damaged and kind of freaky.”

The baths was his first stop. There was always a willing mouth or ass there no matter what time of day. Brian sat in his car and stared at the building, not seeing it or the men who wandered in and out. Was this going to be his life? Was he setting himself up to be a caregiver to Justin who was never going to be the young man with stars in his eyes when they danced?

He was too young to put his life on hold like some middle aged queer who is resigned to looking after an aging lover, mother, friend. Insert the most likely word. He hadn’t wanted a child, yet he had a son. He didn’t want a boyfriend and he had Justin. Maybe he should invoke the trust he’d set up and arrange for Justin to be looked after by the Chief and anyone else needed. He could move permanently into the apartment on Tremont. He could move on with his life.

Brian shut his eyes, remembering Justin this morning. The blond had curled himself around him as if seeking a safe haven. Was that what he was? A safe haven? He knew Justin wasn’t mentally challenged. Testing had proven that. But he was unlikely to regain full motor control. And his brain kept short circuiting off and on sending him into a full stop until someone got him started again.

“Hey Kinney, you sleeping or coming in?”

Brian jumped startled by the rapping of knuckles on his car window. A friendly face that he almost recalled peered in. He rolled the window down. “Hey.” He sighed. “I was just thinking about something. I’m not going in right now.”

“Just saw Todd in there, he’s great for a blow job.”

“Had him.” Brian gave the man a sideways grin. “Gotta go.” Not waiting for a reply he put the Jeep in gear and back out onto the street. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.” He muttered as he drove.

In a few minutes he found himself parking in front of Jimmy Dobson’s place. He wasn’t sure why. There wasn’t really anything the lawyer could do for him. But the man had become a friend and he needed a friend who wouldn’t judge him right now.

Justin and Daphne, accompanied by Maisie and Cat, were walking in the garden. “You’ve come a long way since you left that hell hole they’d stashed you in.” Daphne believed in telling it like it is.

“Yyes.” Justin said. “Bbrian did it.”

“Brian didn’t do it, you did. Brian might be the catalyst that started you moving forward. But Jus, it was all you that’s done the work.” Daphne picked up a stick and threw it for Maisie. The dog stood there and watched Cat run to the stick and pick it up.

“You’ve got weird animals.”

Justin smiled. “Llike me.”

Daphne gently punched Justin’s shoulder. “No, like Brian, now that man is weird.”

“Llove him.” Justin bent down and took the stick from Cat. He did it so smoothly that it was almost like he was better.

“You didn’t think about what you’re doing and you just do it.” Daphne grinned. “Great. Does Brian know you can do stuff like that?”

Justin shrugged. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. “Bbbrian.” He began and then sighed.

“So, are things okay between you two? Lots of sex?” Daphne was walking backward so she could watch Justin’s face.

“Nnnoo sex.” Justin’s face clouded over. “Bbbrian.” He shook his head. He had so much to say, but no way to say it. Brian sleeps with me every night. But he isn’t really with me. He watches me, studies my face when he thinks I’m sleeping. I wonder if he’s seeing everything that’s wrong and wondering if it will ever end. Why won’t he kiss me, touch me, make love to me? I don’t need motor control for any of that.

“What’s wrong with the man?” Daphne snorted. “He could barely wait ten seconds before getting into your pants.”

“Bbbroken.” Justin muttered. “Bbbroken.”

“Well that’s bullshit.” Daphne glared. She was going to have a talk with Brian about this as soon as she could.

Justin said nothing. Once again he’d retreated into the recesses of his mind where the Prom never ended. Where Brian looked down at him with love shining in his eyes and the music and lights went round and round, never ending.

Maisie and Cat both ran toward the house. Daphne was shocked for a moment. Justin had never spaced out on her before, but she was surprised considering the topic of their conversation.

“Miss Daphne, I’ll take him.”

“Oh,” Daphne was surprised to see the Chief. “We were talking and he just kind of went away.”

“You must have been talking about Brian.” The Chief took Justin by the arm and turned him. “Come on there Justin, we’re going back inside. Maisie and Cat are worried about you. You know those two, they need all the attention in the family. They hate it when you one up them in that department.”

“The dog and cat came and got you?” Daphne asked.

“Yes, they always know when he retreats. I used to worry that he’d get into some difficulty if I were not around. But Maisie and Cat see to it that I find him quick.”

“Wow, I told him that they were weird. But it’s a good weird.” Daphne had her arm under one of Justin’s, the Chief on the other side. They slowly made their way back to the house. “Will he be like this long?”

“It all depends. His doctor said to let him come out if it naturally. He doesn’t need any kind of pressure.” They’d reached the house. “Come on Justin, we’ll go to the family room. You and Daphne can watch a movie.” He looked at Daphne. “I hope you don’t mind the movie thing. He seems more comfortable when he comes out of his fugue during a movie. I guess it’s more natural to drift off when watching something and then come back.”

“I don’t mind. Do you know when Brian’s coming back?”

“He said he would be out most of the day. I think he wanted you and Justin to have some one on one time together.” The Chief had settled Justin on the sofa and turned on the television. “I think he just needed a bit of time to himself. He works hard, too hard. He could use some relaxation time.”

“Brian, come on in.” Vanessa held the door for her friend. “Jimmy is in his office for once. I know he’ll be glad to see you.”

“Hey Nessa, where’s the brats?” Brian kissed her cheek.

“School, it’s an amazing place that takes them away for five hours a day.” She laughed. “It’s what keeps parents sane.”

“Brian, come on in.” Jimmy was stretched out on a leather sofa, and Ipod in his hands, ear buds on his chest. “I was just relaxing for a bit.”

“I see that.” Brian chuckled and sat down and then stretched out on a matching sofa. “I should get one of these.”

“It’s all in the down filling and the softest leather you can find. Nessa will give you the address of the designer.” He sighed and put his Ipod down. “What brings you here on a work day?”

“I’m taking a couple of days off. All work and all that.”

“Are you sick? I’ve never known you to take time off. Should I be worried?”

“No I’m not sick. I had a chance to take some time and I did. Don’t get too used to it, it won’t last. It’s back to the grind in two days.”

“How’s Justin and the pups?”

“All the animals are doing fine including Justin.”

Jimmy raised an eyebrow. “Oh, so you’re just slumming.”

“No, Daphne is visiting. I thought I’d give them some ‘together’ time. Justin’s been a bit down the last couple of days. I think he needs to see a friend.”

“You could take him out more. Other than to the medical clinic for therapy, he doesn’t go anywhere.”

“Who’ve you been talking too?” Brian tried not to show his resentment at the unspoken reprimand.

“I ran into Sam Jones the other day. He was picking up a few things at the bakery on Vine while Justin was in therapy.”

“Glad the two of you had something to discuss.”

“Don’t get pissy. You know you keep the boy segregated from the world.”

“It’s for his own good. He hates being in crowds of people. Hell Sam has to schedule his therapy for the first appointment of the day to avoid a lot of people on the street.”

“Is it Justin you’re protecting or is it you?” Jimmy’s voice was soft. “He’s not the cute young boy who idolized your every move anymore. He can’t walk in a straight line, barely speaks, and zones out every now and then. Christ knows he can hardly feed himself. Maybe you don’t want to be seen with him.”

“THAT IS NOT FUCKING WHAT I’M DOING.” Brian took a breath. “I’m not ashamed of him. I just don’t want him hurt. I don’t want anyone to think he’s damaged, broken, or just not right.” Brian stood up and walked over to a window. “I’m not sure what I’m doing. I watch him sleep. He’s beautiful. He looks like nothing happened. He smiles and nuzzles my neck like he used to and makes these quiet little huffing sounds. I want to grab him and kiss him like I used to. Wake him up and make love. And then he kind of spasms, moans and the night terrors arrive and all I can do is hold him still until they go away. When I smooth back his hair from his forehead, my fingers touch the fucking scar that barely covers the dent in his head. And then all I want to do is scream at the unfairness of life.

I want to rage and kill that bastard who hurt him. But I can’t do a goddamn thing. I can’t even fucking have a smoke. The smell was bothering his breathing. He’s fucking allergic to anything good. I want to drink myself senseless, or find some good shit to smoke, but I don’t dare. He might need me and I can’t fuck up. I can’t fuck up again. I might kill him this time.”

“Brian you need to see someone about this. You didn’t hurt Justin. You’ve saved him.”

“I am seeing someone. Here I am.” Brian turned from the window showing a wry smile. “I’m not stupid. I know I didn’t use the fucking bat. But if I had stayed away, things might have been different.”

“Or Hobbs might have hit him more than once and killed him.”

Silence filled the room.

“That too.” Brian’s voice was soft. “That night, that night was for me the first time I let myself have a hint that I might have a chance of happiness. For one moment in time I was happier than I’d ever been in my life. You know the kind of life I’d lived up to that point. I was a club boy, if thirty could be called a boy. I worked hard and I played harder. Sure I had Justin in my life, but he was only a small part of it. There were so many times when we were together that whatever it was that was developing, seemed real. I’m not making any sense am I?”

“You are.” Jimmy sat up. “You worked and played, but you kept to yourself like you lived in some kind of bubble. The night you met Justin was the night you met your son. Your bubble was cracking.”

“No shit.” Brian began to pace the room and then threw himself back on the sofa. “I feel things for him that I’ve never felt for anyone. He’s more than just a friend or an old fuck buddy. But he’s sick. I can’t do anything about what I feel. How fucked would that be if I actually had sex with him. I mean there has to be some kind of law about shit like that. I’m his guardian for fuck sake.”

“Yes, you’re right. There are laws about guardians having sex with their wards.” Jimmy sat down at his desk. “Talk with his doctor. Find out how far Justin has to come to be considered mentally competent. And then it’s up to you. You can dissolve the guardianship and to keep him insured, make him your domestic partner.”

“Somehow that seems so much more final than guardianship.”

“It is what you make it.” Jimmy looked at Brian. “All I know is that you have a young man in your care who is in love with you. He was in love with you before the bashing, and he’s in love with you now. What are you going to do about it?”

“I don’t fucking know what to do. He thinks he’s in love with me, but what does he know? I’m his first. We all remember our first.”

“But we don’t all fall in love with our first and you know it. Justin saw something in you that he felt was worth giving up everything he knew to pursue.  Maybe you should look inside yourself to find what it was that Justin saw. And still sees.”

 

Daphne curled up on the far end of the sofa. She watched the movie and watched Justin waiting to see what would happen. Her heart broke when she noticed tears running down her friend’s face. He was staring at the television, but she knew he wasn’t seeing it.

The balloons are shining with sparkles, the lights are dim, and Brian is holding him tenderly in his arms as they whirl and dip and glide over the floor. I’m so happy I’m sure my heart is going to burst. And then suddenly I’m sitting in the family room. The television is on playing something that’s supposed to be a comedy. I know Daphne must be close. She’s here visiting her fucked up brain-fried friend. I’m crying and I can’t stop. I want Brian to hold me, to make it all right. I want my life back. 

Daphne handed Justin a tissue. “It’s okay Justin. I know you want your life back the way it was. It’ll never be the same, but I can’t help but think it’ll eventually be better.”

“Yes it will be.” Brian stood in the doorway. “Daphne, can I have a word with Justin?”

“Sure Brian, I’ll go bake cookies with the Chief or something.”

She kissed Justin’s cheek and then Brian’s as she walked out.

“Justin, I want to apologize to you.” Brian took three steps into the room and paused. “I’ve been doing some thinking today and realized that I haven’t been clear about what kind of relationship we have. And yes I said the word relationship, that we have going for us.” Two more steps and he had Justin in his arms. Justin was trembling, but he didn’t pull away. He needed Brian’s touch.

“Let’s sit down.” Brian sat, pulling Justin down on his lap. “When I got you sprung from that hell hole, I wanted you safe and I figured that if I kept you close, you’d be safe. But I was thinking more of my feelings and not of yours. I forgot that you need more than my protection. You need to be your own man and find your own way in the world. I know you aren’t ready for that yet. But I want you to know that whatever you want, decide, or need. I’ll be there for you.”

“Yyyou. I… need you.” Justin whispered.

“I know you do Angel Boy, and I’ll be here. I’m not going anywhere. But you need more than just me. You need to get out of this house and live.”

“No.” Justin hit Brian’s shoulder for emphasis. “No.” he sighed. “Kkisss me.”

“Kiss you? I kiss you all the time.” Brian kissed Justin’s forehead. “See, that’s me kissing you.”

“Asshole.” Justin said clearly and looked up at Brian. He put one hand on the back of Brian’s head and pulled him down until their lips touched. “Kiss me.”

Their lips touched and without consciously thinking about what he was doing, Brian pulled Justin closer, the better to lose themselves in a long awaited kiss. Finally pulling apart, Brian was shaken. What he’d felt for Justin that night of the Prom all came rushing back. This wasn’t a broken Angel in his lap. This was a man, a man who had been denied their old closeness. “We can’t Justin, we can’t do this. I’m your guardian, there are laws.”

“Not a virgin princess.” Justin wiggled and looked into Brian’s eyes. “Lllove you.”

“You, you’re my Angel Boy, but shit Justin….” Brian’s words were lost when Justin’s lips found his once again.

Daphne and Sam were in the kitchen watching the monitor. Sam reached over and shut it off. “I guess something has finally been settled.” He sighed. “I was beginning to think I’d have to give Brian instructions.”

Six weeks had passed since Daphne’s visit. Brian felt he was living in some kind of la la land where everything was sunshine and roses. He knew it wouldn’t last. But he figured he might as well enjoy it while he could.

Justin’s speech had almost returned to normal. He only stuttered occasionally. The left side of his body was working great. But the right side left a lot to be desired. He’d had four fugue incidents, but they were shorter each time. His doctor was pleased and changed his medication to a lighter dose.

Maisie and her brood had taken over the back closed in porch. The weather was pleasant and it was easier to confine the pups to the porch now that they were on the move. Three more pups had collars and many visits from their soon to be new owners. Cynthia had fallen for one and Jimmy and Vanessa’s children had each picked a pup.

“Are you coming in for lunch?” Brian asked. It was a Saturday and he had gone looking for Justin, not surprised to find him with the pups. Cat was at Brian’s heels.

“Sure.” Justin was on his back on the floor. Puppies were climbing over him and falling off and climbing back on. All the while Justin was snapping pictures with the camera Brian had given him.

“How many pictures does one need of a bunch of small dogs?” Brian asked. He sat cross-legged on the floor beside Justin. “You look like you’re five years old.”

“I am.” Justin grinned and snapped a picture that included Brian holding Hope up to look into her eyes. Cat was now curled up on Brian’s lap. “That makes you a pervey old man.”

“I’m taking you to therapy today. So get your butt off the floor.”

“Really? You’re taking me?” Justin beamed at Brian and scrambled to sit up. “I thought you were working this afternoon.”

“I can do it tomorrow.” Brian stood up and pulled Justin to his feet and into his arms. “I haven’t spent a Saturday with you in a long time.”

“You’ve never spent a whole Saturday with me.” Justin laughed. “Even before all the shit happened. You’ve always been busy on Saturday.”

“I think your wee wittle brain is snapping again. I’ve spent lots of Saturdays with you.”

“Stopping by the diner while I worked doesn’t count.” Justin hit his hip against Brian’s. “Can we stop off at your apartment? I haven’t seen it yet.”

“Nosey as ever. It’s good to see you back on track.” Brian kissed Justin’s lips in a quick kiss and then smacked his ass. “Yes we can stop by the apartment. It’s nothing special, just a place to whole up when the weather’s bad and I can’t get here.”

“We could order in pizza and have dinner.”

“The next thing you know, you’ll be suggesting we spend the night. What’s Sam going to do with only the hounds to look after?”

“I’ll be enjoying the peace and quiet.” Sam laughed as he put sandwiches on the table. “Lunch time boys.”

“Chief, you don’t mind do you, if I go with Brian?” Justin and the Chief had developed a deep friendship since they had first met. The drive into the city for therapy gave them both an opportunity to talk about their thoughts and interests.

“I don’t mind in the least. I think you both need to get out of the house together and start living your lives the way things were meant to be.”

“Yeah, like that’s going to happen anytime soon. I still eat like I’m developmentally challenged. Not to mention my penchant for zoning out at in opportune moments.”

“Nice to see your verbal skills from you SAT days are still with you.” Brian reached for a sandwich. “He didn’t say we should enter a domino championship, just get out of the house.”

“I think I hate you.”

“Eat up Angel Boy. Don’t poke yourself in the eye, these sandwiches are toasted.”

Justin stuck out his tongue and then carefully took a bite of one of the sandwiches. He usually was able to manage finger food or sandwiches now. It was tougher with utensils, then he just might poke himself in the eye. Brian had seen him do it and never let him forget. 

“Seriously Chief, are you going to be okay here on your own?” Brian asked Sam. “We may spend the night in town.”

“I’m old, but not that old Brian. I’m sure the dogs and I can keep Cat out of trouble.”

“Just don’t want you thinking we don’t need you here.”

“This is my home now.” Sam stood up to get the coffee pot. “You can’t get rid of me.”

Brian sat at the table, eating his sandwich and watching and listening to Sam and Justin as they kibitzed and laughed at what the puppies were up to and things that Cat had done. He had worked late the night before. Work had taken the place of clubbing and drugs. He wasn’t sure he liked the change, though it was lucrative. He’d almost paid off the mortgage in the house and had been able to add to Gus’ collage fund. His head ached more and more these days, but he figured it was drug deprivation or something.

Next week Justin was going to be examined by the board at the medical center. If they gave him the okay, he’d be released from Brian’s guardianship. This was going to present more problems and it was time to decide what he was going to do about Justin, at least as far as health insurance was concerned.