Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Story Notes:

OMG - yes I'm actually adding something new

THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WONDERFUL VIDEO MAKERS OUT THERE ON UTUBE - YOU INSPIRE ME

Broken Angel – 1

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

I wonder what happened? Why can’t I open my eyes? Why don’t I really care? The thoughts rolled through Justin’s mind over and over before he drifted back into darkness.

Brian, who had been watching through the observation window that let him see into Justin’s room, relaxed. It hadn’t been much, but he could tell that the boy was sleeping now and not comatose. He sighed and sat back in the hard chair, his long legs stretched out, not caring if he was blocking the corridor. It was the middle of the night and other than the night janitor and Sophie the nurse in charge, he was alone with his thoughts.

It was better to be here, drifting in an out of sleep while he watched over the boy who had broken through his barriers. Had he been braver, he’d have lain beside him and cradled his broken head, infusing his lover with his sense of will. But he was a coward and all he could do was come to the hospital night after night like some kind of vampire who would slink home when dawn approached.

“He’s doing better, our Broken Angel.” Sophie said as she handed Brian a coffee. Not the crap that was in the lunchroom, but something better she brought from home. “They’re moving him tomorrow to one of the extended care rooms.”

“That doesn’t make any sense.” Brian stood up, moving closer to the window. “He’s only just come out of the coma.”

“He’s out of it, but he…. “ she hesitated. “He isn’t out of the woods yet, Hun.” She put her hand on Brian’s back. “I’m afraid it’s going to be a long time before he is and his parents, well they don’t have him covered with their insurance now. He won’t be able to get the same care.”

“Why in hell isn’t he covered?” the words were hissed in anger. Brian leaned his forehead against the cold glass. “His father owns the freaking company where he works.”

“It’s the insurance carrier. It happens all the time. Family coverage is only until the child reaches the age of 18 but can continue if they are in school. In Justin’s case, well I’m afraid this Broken Angel won’t be attending school for some time, if ever.”

Brian didn’t want to ask, but he had to form the words. “Why?” It was three months since the day his world had turned upside down. Three months of endless nights watching over Justin. “I thought he was improving. My friends said he’s up, even sitting in a chair during the day.”

“He is.” She looked sad and turned away. “I’m afraid that’s all he does. And Brian, he’s had no visitors other than yourself for a week now. I think it’s just too heartbreaking for his friends and family. “ She paused. “Brian, you need to see for yourself. There’s no point in these midnight vigils. Nothing is going to change any time soon…. maybe never.”

“No one?” Brian wasn’t sure what he was hearing so he ignored her pessimism.  He’d talked to Mikey earlier, nothing was mentioned about Justin and come to think of it, his friend hadn’t mentioned the blond for some time.

For the first time since he’d been watching over Justin, Brian entered the hospital room. “Hey there Brat.” He smoothed back sleep tossed blond hair. With the hall lights shining, almost hallowing the boy in the bed, he did look like an Angel. Blond hair that begged to be touched. Now that he was close, he could see neglect. Nothing major, but Justin’s lips were dry and cracked, his hair needed washing and oddly enough there was even some blond stubble struggling to form a mustache and beard. He seethed inside as he reached for a small pot of Vaseline on the bed table.

“Hey Angel Boy, let me smooth some of this on, it’ll make your lips feel better.” The words were whispered but somehow heard by the boy in the bed. His eyes flickered open, unseeing, but open. Brian wasn’t sure, but he thought maybe Justin’s lips turned up in an almost there smile.

Brian, Brian’s here, he came into my room. I wonder if he can see me. Does he know I want to kiss him? I hate that I can’t wake up to the world, but it really is much nicer here in the clouds. Brian’s eyes look so sad. I love him. Justin sighed, his lips felt soft. He wanted a drink of water but knew no one would give him anything until morning.

Brian watched Justin for a few more minutes, not sure if he was doing the right thing, he put some ice water in a cup, added a straw and put the straw to the now glossy lips. He was rewarded with Justin drinking thirstily before sighing again, shutting his eyes and once more falling to sleep.

He sat beside the bed, holding Justin’s hand until sounds in the hallway told him it was morning. “I’ll be back, Angel Boy.” He bent and brushed his lips over Justin’s before stand up. He needed to find out why Justin wasn’t getting the care he should be.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kinney, but Justin is getting the best care we can give. We’re short staffed and he no longer needs our full attention. Which is why he’s been transferred to a ward that can better deal with brain damaged individuals.” The nurse tried to be kind, but frankly she didn’t like Brian’s attitude, not at the end of a rather long shift.

Brian nodded his acknowledgement of her words. She’d been kind enough to let him stay all these nights. He’d thought he’d been watching over Justin, but he was as bad as Justin’s family and friends and Justin was suffering for it.  He’d let the hospital machine grind on, under the impression that it was the best for Justin. He’d let his friends hide the facts of Justin’s recovery or non-recovery from their everyday conversations. Letting them think they were protecting his sensitive nature. Brian huffed at that thought. It had been easier ignoring the gang’s conversations the way things had developed since the night of the bashing. And it was a bashing no matter what the asshole jock was spouting to anyone who would listen.  It was time to do something.

“Hey Brian.” Kiki looked up from the paper she was reading. The diner was uncharacteristically empty of patrons.  “I just put a fresh pot of coffee on. Long night or early morning?” she asked, not really expecting an answer. Brian looked like he always did, distantly gorgeous. She poured him a mug of coffee.

“Thanks Kiki.” He smiled almost shyly at the startled waitress. “I needed that. Can you wake up the cook? I’d like the breakfast special.” He looked around. “I kind of like the quietness of the place at this hour. Maybe I should make this a habit.” He laughed and taking his coffee, settled into his usual booth at the back. It was familiar and he needed to think about what he was going to do next.

Brian had almost finished his breakfast when the door to the diner opened and Debbie walked in.  She looked at Brian and then at the clock on the back wall and then back at Brian. “Late night Sweetie?” she asked as she slid into the booth. “You really should try and get some sleep. Dancing and drinking aren’t good for you.”

Brian tipped his almost empty coffee mug at her as if offering a toast. “Hey Deb, long time no see.”

“It’s six in the morning, I’m starting my shift. You’re never here this early.”

“Never is a long time.” He answered cryptic as usual.

“Have you been to see Justin yet?” she asked. All of the gang were concerned that Brian had somehow shut himself off from the boy he obviously cared about. “He’s been in that damned hospital three months.”

“Have you visited lately?” Brian returned. “And it’s been three months, four days, and he looked at the clock. “Six hours. But who the fuck is counting?” he stood up, threw some money on the table. “It’s been a slice, Deb.” He said before walking out.

It was too early to do much more than go to the loft and shower. It was a workday and he’d been getting by on only a few hours sleep each day, usually in the evenings before he headed for the hospital. Today wasn’t going to be any different.

Entering his loft, Brian relaxed. He hadn’t realized just how tense he’d been. He looked toward the bedroom but sat on his sofa, picking up one of Justin’s school texts that still sat on the coffee table. Leafing through it, he smiled as each page turned. In the margins of the book were drawings, doodles as Justin called them, of his classmates, his teacher, a bird or two probably from outside the classroom window, and of course Brian in one form or another, body parts that is. There were even a few Taylor-Kinney’s sprinkled with Kinney-Taylor’s here and there. He knew when the class had ended for the boy, for the doodles stopped, as did the rest of the world.

Nobody talks to me anymore. I’m being moved, I can tell. They sat me in a wheelchair, piled the few things of mine on my lap and off we go. I wonder if Brian will be able to find me. I wonder if I’ve been moved before because no one ever finds me except Brian. I fucking hate wearing hospital shit. I want to escape back into the real world so bad I sometimes feel I’m going to explode. Why can’t I talk? Why can’t I move unless someone moves me? Did I die? Is this some kind of first stage of Hell? All this was going through Justin’s mind as he was wheeled down hallways and into an elevator.

 

Brian stared at the woman in personnel for a moment before saying. “Let me get this straight. I can’t just add him to my medical package unless he’s my partner. And he can’t be my partner because he is considered incompetent due to the brain injury.”

“That’s right, but you could add him if you were his guardian. He’s eighteen, and of legal age, but the incompetent part means that if he was your ward, he’d be like family. It could work. I’d just need to send the documents stating you were appointed his guardian by the court.” She’d never seen Mr. Kinney so depressed before. He had always been nice to her and she hated to disappoint him.

“Thanks Sandra, I’ll just have to see what I can do about becoming Justin’s guardian.”

“My brother is a lawyer who specializes in family law. I can give him a call and set up an appointment.” She offered.

“I’d like that. See if he has some time free today.” Brian walked out the door, his mind whirling as he tried to come up with some logical explanation as to why he wanted Justin’s parents to hand over their son.

Later that afternoon, Brian walked into the foyer of an old Pittsburgh mansion from the days of the steel barons. “Mr. Kinney, Jimmy is expecting you.” He was greeted by a stately looking woman in her early thirties. “I’m Vanessa, his wife, receptionist, assistant, and mother of his children.” She giggled making her change from intimidating WASP to regular woman. “Sandra said it was important, so I made Jimmy dress up like a lawyer, he's in the garden.”

“Mr. Kinney.”  A man about five foot eight and slightly chubby, opened up a door just off the foyer. He flushed with pleasure when his wife bent and brushed some lint off of his Armani suit before kissing him on the nose. “You’ve met my receptionist, she’s far too familiar with me.” He teased, smacking her gently on the ass.

“Now Jimmy dear, be good and I’ll bring the two of you some fresh lemonade. The children will be home from school soon, so try not to be long.”

“Unusual business office.” Brian drawled. He was led into a tastefully decorated office, complete with an antique carved cherry wood desk and deep leather chairs. The library like walls were filled with leather bound law books looking almost out of place among the child like crafts that shared the shelves.

“Well, it’s more my home than an office. My law practice isn’t my main source of income. I usually only take client referrals from friends or family. That is if the case appeals to me. I’m an artist. I work in glass, blown, stained, fried in my kilns – glass.”

“Interesting.” It was then that Brian began to notice evidence of the man’s work scattered through the room. But what drew his attention was a framed sketch he recognized. It was a sketch of Molly and two friends lounging at the side of a pool.

“That’s why I agreed to talk. Justin Taylor did that sketch last summer. It’s his sister and my sister and cousin. When I saw it for sale at a fundraiser, I had to have it. Melinda, my sister was killed a week after that scene took place. Justin caught all the magic of the day. It was the last time I saw her.”

“He has talent.” Brian refused to think that Justin’s talent was gone along with everything else. “Now about my little problem.”

Two hours later, three glasses of lemonade and half a dozen finger sandwiches each, the two men had pulled together a plan.

The meeting with his new lawyer had gone well. Brian took a liking to the man immediately and knew they could be friends as well as have a business arrangement.

“I’ll have the necessary paper work drawn up and we’ll notify the Taylors. I’ll have Vanessa make the appointment for tomorrow if possible.”

“You work fast.” Brian grinned.

“I can’t imagine what it’s like for you, but I know I’d move heaven and earth to look after Nessie’s interests if the same thing had happened.” He patted Brian’s shoulder offering support. “This is only going to be the beginning, you realize that. I mean we’ll win this, but you’ve got a long row to hoe.”

“Does it really matter?” Brian asked with a shrug. He smiled and walked out to his jeep. It was too late to go back to work and he didn’t want to deal with the gang at the diner, so for once he thought he might as well go visit Justin when the boy was awake. But first he had to pick up a few things to make his Angel Boy a tad more comfortable.

Justin was miserable. He sat in a chair beside his bed because that’s where he’d been put. The room smelled and the noises made his head hurt. All he could do was stare straight ahead, the only thing he could control was his eyelids and these he kept determinedly shut whenever possible. It was like he was trapped in some kind of zoo. The other animals, some so old he was sure they were dead and some so young it made his heart ache as they moaned and drooled and generally irritated him. What bothered him the most was the number of people in the room with him. He was terrified of so many in such close quarters. Why was he in a room with other people? Why didn’t he have his own room? Where was his mother, his father, even Debbie and gang would at least give him something to think about? But the biggest question of all, was why the fuck couldn’t he make his voice work? If he could walk and shit and piss, eat and drink when told to, why the fuck couldn’t he do it without being told?

Brian walked into the ward, his face impassive as he walked past the beds, ignoring the occupants. His anger at what he smelled and saw was without bounds, but he betrayed nothing. It would take time to do something for his Broken Angel.  Justin was sitting in a chair trembling, his eyes closed.

“Hey.” He said, throwing the bags he carried on a bed that had to be Justin’s, before bending to kiss softened but dry lips. “Nice to see you awake, but this room sure as fuck sucks and not in a good way.” He was rewarded with just a glimmer of response in Justin’s eyes, before they closed again.

“So you think if you close your eyes, it’ll all go away?” Brian snorted. “You aren’t a cat Angel Boy, but we can make things better all around.” Brian reached for one of the bags and pulled out three pairs of sweat pants and three hoodies. “I figured I’d get hoodies, ‘cause I know you’re always cold. I like the blue one best, but they’re all not bad. Let me help you out of that crap they have you wearing.” Brian wasn’t sure if he was doing the right thing, but what he’d read on the internet about Justin’s type of injury, had given him a few ideas.

He put his hand on the boy’s elbow and pulled up, almost surprised when Justin stood up. It wasn’t long before he had him changed into something more pleasing to the eye than the faded cast offs the boy had been wearing. Where the fuck were Justin’s clothes, surely to gawd one of the family could have brought them here went through Brian’s mind. “I bought those ugly wooly socks you like and a pair of slippers.” Brian put them on Justin’s feet.

“Sir, I’m sorry sir, but the patients are not allowed to wear their own clothing. We don’t have the resources to launder it. I’m afraid Justin is going to have to dress in what we provide.”

Brian looked at the orderly who had spoken and glared. “Fuck that. Justin will wear what I bring him. I’ll make sure his laundry gets done. I have pajamas for him and a robe, as well as everything else he might need for three days. I’ll make sure his things are kept clean.”

“Sir, the patient will be here for a considerable time, perhaps years. No doubt your intentions are good, but experience has proven this type of thing just doesn’t last and we are stuck with dealing with clothing that isn’t suitable for institutionalized laundry facilities.” The man was trying to be kind in his reasoning with the handsome but slightly pissed off man in front of him.

“Justin will be out of here soon. Let me worry about his clothing and you worry about the rest of these people.” Brian’s arm swept the room. “It looks like they could use the attention. Justin is doing fine with me.”

The orderly had better things to do than argue with Justin Taylor’s visitor. He’d come back later and make things right.

“Justin, I’m not sure how much you understand, but I want you to know, I’ve made a decision. You can’t stay in a place like this. It’s apparent that you aren’t getting the care you need. It’s an insurance thing, I’m sure your parent’s are doing their best. I’m working with a lawyer, Jimmy Dobson, you’d like him, to have me appointed as your guardian. It’ll only be until you come back to us. I promise not to make you my love slave.” A flash of the old Justin’s sense of humor showed for the briefest moment in blue eyes that quickly closed again.

Brian came, he brought clothes, he’s such a softy. I like that he talks to me. No one talks to me. I bet Brian knows I’m really here. I bet he knows I’m trapped. My mom is going to shit when Brian tries this guardian thing. My dad won’t care though. I like Brian here, it isn’t so scary. I don’t even mind when he touches me. I fucking hate being touched.

“I brought you something else.” Brian was now sitting in a chair he’d dragged over from beside one of the other beds. “I brought you a lemon square.” He unwrapped the sweet confection and broke off a piece. “Here, open up.” Justin obediently opened his mouth to receive what was offered. “Now eat it all, you’re too thin. I suspect the food here sucks like everything else in this place.”

Justin wanted to tell him that it wasn’t the food so much as the fact he had no appetite. The lemon square was amazing, it brought back a flood of memories and he closed his eyes, the better to live when there was no pain, no being trapped inside himself.

Brian stayed with Justin until well after the boy had been put to bed. He’d made sure that Justin was showered, hair washed and body clean before putting on his new pajamas. He watched and questioned the medication given to the blond, writing down the names and dosage to look up later when he was home. The fact that Justin’s mother didn’t visit or any of his friends didn’t go unnoticed.

Later sitting in the back booth of the diner, Brian sipped coffee and ate a sandwich while he thought of what he was going to do. He was thirty years old, had a good job, made better than average money, had a decent sized savings account and portfolio, but he was by no means wealthy enough for what Justin needed. He would be someday, but not now.  For now he was going to need to use all the inventiveness only someone of his background could come up with.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Mr. Dobson, I will not sign anything giving my son to that pervert Kinney.” Craig Taylor glared at both the lawyer and the man in question.

Brian and Jimmy were both dressed impeccably in Armani, perfectly groomed. Jennifer Taylor said nothing.

“Mr. Taylor, Mrs. Taylor, I’ll give you a few minutes to rethink your decision. And then I will release to the press, the information that the beautiful boy who was bashed, now lives in extended care, in a state facility. He is given minimal care and has basically been forgotten by his family.”

“That’s not true.” Jennifer exclaimed. “I love my son, I haven’t forgotten him. It just hurts so much to see him so… so…. blank.” She looked at Brian. “Mr. Kinney, are you doing this for Justin because you feel guilty? I mean it was you who turned him. Who deliberately provoked the man who hit him.”

“Mrs. Taylor, Justin is who he is, it had nothing to do with me. I also can’t be responsible for someone’s hatred and what he does with it.  I care for Justin. I can’t abandon him to the system just because you no longer have insurance coverage.  You, your family, have the resources to care for him at home, yet you aren’t. Fine, I can understand in a way why you don’t. You’re just beginning your career and have a young girl to consider.  Mr. Taylor, you have no excuse other than you’re a homophobic prick. I understand that as well. But Justin needs someone to talk for him. He can’t do it for himself now. No one has to know about this arrangement. Not your friends and family, or mine. It will between all of us in this room.”

“I’ll sign the papers.” Jennifer said. “Craig, you might as sign them as well. Mr. Kinney has always had Justin’s back. I can see that he cares for him.” She reached over and placed her signature in all the spots indicated before passing the papers over to her soon to be ex husband.

Craig glared, began to sputter something, and then with a sigh, signed the papers as well. Without a word he stood up and left the room. Jennifer looked at Brian, tears in her eyes, “Take care of him and love him.”

“I will.” Brian replied. He still couldn’t understand why he was doing what he was. It made no sense when you sat down and thought about it. But in his heart, he knew it was the right thing to do. And if he was truthful to himself, he loved Justin unconditionally, just as the blond had loved him. They had never had a wedding, that shit was for heteros and lesbians, but he knew the vows he’d silently taken the night Justin was bashed, were real. For better or worse, in sickness and in health. Well this qualified.

The next day, Jimmy registered Brian’s guardianship of Justin with the courts and began to go through and set up the man’s will and his assets. He also called in a favor from a friend of his, one of the strongest court litigators in Pittsburgh. Who in turn began proceedings in civil court to sue Chris Hobbs and his parents on Justin’s behalf.

While Jimmy was busy doing that, Brian was making a few arrangements of his own. He still found time to stop in at the hospital before work and make sure Justin was washed and dressed properly. To kiss him on his forehead, to put lip balm on his lips and to settle him in a chair by the window so that he couldn’t see the rest of the occupants of the room.

Brian was here when the sun came into the room. He was standing by my bed. I know I smiled at him, but my lips wouldn’t move, but I smiled in my heart. He kissed me the way he kisses Gus. It wasn’t what I wanted, but was better than nothing. He brought me breakfast and watched while I ate. He brought me a latte. The fog in my head still keeps me jailed inside, but I’m remembering more, more about Brian and more about the last few weeks before whatever happened. It’s the time thing that bothers me the most. One minute I’m sitting, the next I’m in bed and lights out and then I’m sitting again. Did time pass, or did I just imagine it?

Brian decided that he needed to make things clear to Melanie and Lindsay regarding their never-ending money requests. He needed every dollar now for Justin’s expenses. It wouldn’t be forever, but it would be until Jimmy could wring some money out of the Hobbes family.

“Brian, I wasn’t expecting you.” Lindsay said as she opened the door.

“I need to talk to you and your hubby about a few things.” He said stepping through. He picked Gus out of her arms and kissed his son, making both of them smile.

“Mel left for work about ten minutes ago. You just missed her. I have coffee.” She headed into the kitchen.

“None for me, I have a meeting in half an hour.” Brian sat down at the table, the baby still in his arms. “Have you been to see Justin lately?”

“Not for a week or two, it’s just too depressing.” Lindsay shook her head. “He was so alive, always smiling, always….. well alive.” She sighed. “Now it’s like he’s there but not there. The doctors told his mother that with brain injuries, once the healing is done, you just have to accept what’s left.”

“What a load of crap. Have they taken him to any specialists?” Brian asked.

“I suppose they have. I mean there are neurologists here in Pittsburgh. I imagine they’ve looked at Justin’s case.” Lindsay shrugged. “It’s a shame though what’s happened to him.” She looked at her son. “You miss your babysitter don’t you Gus?” her words were cooed and Brian winced. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I want you to know that I’ll never let Gus do without, but I won’t be able to just hand over cash every time you want something. It has to be important for Gus. I’m short of money right now and no doubt will be for awhile.”

“But Brian, we never ask for anything unless it’s important.” Lindsay began.

“I looked through my checks for the last few months Linds. You guys average more than a thousand a month for one thing or another. Considering you don’t want me to have anything to do with my son, I think that’s a pretty healthy chunk of change. It has to stop. Your hubby makes good money.” He stood up, kissed Gus on the cheek. “I’ve got to go.” He handed over his son to the speechless blond.

“Brian, if you’re having problems at work.” Lindsay began following her friend to the door.

“Work is just fine. Later Linds.” Satisfied that he had the answers to some of his questions, Brian headed to his workday.

Lunchtime came and went, Brian had successfully brought in another client and was working on his next proposal when his long time friend Michael walked in.

“Hey Mikey, I’m busy, who let you in?” Brian continued to type on his keyboard.

“Lindsay called Ma and told her you aren’t going to give her any more money.”

“Lindsay has a big mouth.” Brian continued to work. “I’ll never let Gus want for anything.” He looked up at Michael. “Hey Mikey, have you been to the hospital lately to see Justin?”

“Na, I’m too busy. He doesn’t need me visiting, we never did get along. Besides, it’s creepy. I mean he just sits there like some kind of zombie. Ma goes sometimes and Uncle Vic says he’d go but he hates hospitals, you know from when he was stuck in one for weeks. I think his friend goes, but she has school. I don’t imagine she can get there much. Does it really matter, I mean he’s never going to know one way or another.”

“Not much of a friend to him.” Brian looked at Michael.

“You should talk, you’ve never been there. Hell, if it wasn’t for you fucking him all the time, he’d probably never been bashed.” Michael knew he shouldn’t have spoken as soon as the words left his mouth.

“GET – THE – FUCK – OUT – OF – MY – OFFICE.” Brian’s voice was a low roar.

Michael knew better than to say anything and he quickly retreated. Brian would get over what ever it was that was bothering him. Maybe he’d call later and they could go to Babylon or something. He hadn’t seen him there for some time.

Brian needed to free up some time to interview someone to stay with Justin during the day. Someone who could take him to therapy and make sure he was comfortable and happy until Brian could come home. It was temporary having Justin at the loft, but it was the best he could do for now. He was about to call an agency that had been recommended when he had another visitor.

“Brian, a Miss Chanders is here to see you.”

“Send her in, and Cynthia, Michael is no longer allowed in. See that security is made aware.”

Cynthia had worked with Brian for years, first as his secretary and now as his assistant. He’d come to rely on her and she on him. She knew he was bothered by something more than just what had happened more than three months before. She knew Brian Kinney far better than his so called friends and family. She knew him almost as well as Justin had. “You can go in Miss Chanders. He’s a bit of a bear, but he doesn’t really mean it.”

“I know, he’s kind of sweet.” Daphne smiled as she headed for Brian’s office. “Hey Brian.” She said as she went around his desk to give him a kiss on his cheek. “You were at the hospital this morning. I could tell Justin was more calm than he usually is and you put some cool sweats on him.”

“You see Justin?”

“I go every day if I can. I wanted to let you know I’m going to Harvard next week. I’m starting premed. I’m going to be a neurologist eventually.”

“Because of Justin’s brain injury?” Brian asked.

“Kind of. I mean I knew I was going to be a doctor, but I wasn’t sure what kind. Now with Justin, you know, kind of out of it, I have to see if I can help somehow.” She wiped away a tear that had escaped.

Brian led her to the sofa in his office and sat down beside her. “I’d do the same thing if I was in your position. Is there anything I can do to help?”

“I hate to leave Justin. I mean I told him. I’ve talked to him about it for weeks now, but it’s not the same as actually being gone. I just wanted to make sure that he was going to be okay. I was hoping you’d let me know how he was doing.”

“I can do that.” Brian was silent for a moment. “Daphne, this is between you and I. I have guardianship over Justin right now. His parents signed the papers yesterday. I’m going to take him out of that pit he’s in and get him the right kind of care. He needs therapy of some kind and he needs to be with people who care about him.”

Daphne threw herself in Brian’s arms and began to cry. “Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was so worried.”

“As soon as I can find someone to stay with him during the day, he’s out of there.”

“I kind of know someone. I mean he’s old but he’s really good with people like Justin. He looked after his wife for years before she died and now he’s kind of lonesome and lost. Justin even knows him ‘cause he’s a neighbor of ours. We used to go and visit him and Amy his wife all the time. She had MS, it was really sad.”

“How do you know he’d do it?”

“I don’t know, but I think he would. It’s not like he’s doing anything else. He retired from the Marines a zillion years ago, like Vietnam years ago and they didn’t recall him because he had a leg amputated the last time he was in the service.”

“From what I hear, that might not stop them. They’re running out of cannon fodder.” He sighed. “Okay, talk to him. I’d rather it was someone Justin knows. He’s had enough trauma. I think he hates it when anyone unfamiliar is close to him and I know he doesn’t like to be touched by anyone other than me and then only if he sees me before I touch him.”

“I noticed he doesn’t like to be touched. It’s something in his eyes.” She sounded sad and Brian gave her a quick hug. “I want to do something to that homophobic asshole so he has to suffer like Justin is. I wish there was someway it could happen. He barely got a slap on the wrist from the judge.”

“Don’t worry, it’ll come back and bite him in the ass eventually.” It was an uncharacteristically mild comment from Brian, but he didn’t want anyone to know that he and Jimmy were planning on suing the Hobbes, even Daphne.

“Thanks for listening Brian.” Daphne stood up and then leaned down and kissed Brian’s cheek. “Oh, I have this for you. It’s a picture someone took at the dance of you and Justin. I thought you’d like to have it.” She handed him a picture that was taken just before they kissed and showed all the love the both of them had for each other.

“Thanks Daphne.” Brian continued to sit long after Daphne had left his office, his eyes on the picture in his hand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brian, I want Brian, will he come today? Will my mother come? I hate the smells in here. I hate when the nurses touch me without even asking. I want to go home. I want to go with Brian. Why can’t I talk, why can’t I do things for myself?

When Brian walked into the ward later that night. Justin was wearing a different pair of sweats than the ones he’d dressed him in earlier in the day. Standing beside him, brushing the hair out of Justin’s eyes was a tall, thin, ramrod straight, man, whose baldhead gleamed in the evening light. He was dressed in well-worn fatigues. He turned to Brian and said. “CPO Samuel Jones reporting for duty.” And then grinned a grin that lit up his whole face. “Justin always called me Chief. I’m here for the duration, no matter how long it is. We’ll have our boy back one day.”

Brian knew then that he’d found the right person to help him.  “I’m Brian Kinney, Justin’s guardian and friend. I’d like to talk to you about what I’ve planned for now. I think Justin should hear it as well, after all it involves him.”

“I agree, no matter how Justin’s brain is perceiving things at the moment, one day he may remember this conversation.”

With Justin sitting in his chair, the two men quickly hashed out a plan for the next few weeks. It would take at least that long for more permanent arrangements to be made. The most important thing to both Brian and the Chief was to get Justin out of the situation he was now in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Three weeks later, Brian strolled into the diner. He was tired, but it was a good tired. He’d been putting in 60-hour weeks at work. As a result, he’d earned two good bonus checks that he’d put to good use immediately. Justin and Chief would be pleased when he showed them what his hard work had earned.

“Brian honey, you look tired.” Deb patted her surrogate son on the cheek. “I’ll bring you a coffee. Are you here for dinner?”

“Yes, I’ll have whatever the special is, hold the grease.” Brian sat in his usual booth at the back, barely holding back a sigh. He sipped his coffee and stared off in the distance. The last three weeks had been satisfying in so many ways. The best one being that he slept each night with Justin in his bed. Oh, not the way they used to sleep, that wouldn’t happen for a long time. But just having the blond curled up on the other side of the bed sleeping peacefully was enough for now. Being able to reach over and touch him kept him sane.

“Brian, where’ve you been?” Emmett slid into the both opposite his friend. “I never see you in the clubs these days.”

“I work Em, it’s been a busy few weeks.” Brian looked at his friend. “Have you seen Justin lately?” he wondered if anyone knew that his blond boyfriend had disappeared from the hospital.

“No, it’s the strangest thing, I stopped by about three weeks ago and the hospital said he was gone. Gone where I asked, I mean he couldn’t just vanish. No one had a clue. I called his mother and she said the same thing, he was gone.” Emmett looked around. “Could he have died and no one said anything? I didn’t want to ask. I know you and Justin were close, have you heard anything?”

“No, nothing.” Brian looked up as Deb brought his dinner and some for Emmett.

“I thought you could use some dinner too, Honey.” She smiled at her favorite customer.

“Thanks Deb. You don’t, by any chance, know where Justin Taylor is, do you?” Emmett asked. “Brian and I were just talking about him.”

“It’s so sad. His mother just says he’s gone. She and Molly moved to Atlanta last week. I don’t know what Craig is up to, but I’m sure he doesn’t have Justin. I’m almost afraid that perhaps he died and no one is saying anything.”

“If Justin had died, I’m sure all of Liberty Avenue would know.” Brian drawled. “You two have too much time on your hands.”

“Hey Ma,” Michael breezed through the door. “Brian, what are you doing here?”

“Eating dinner Mikey, what does it look like?”

“I’ve gone to your place like a hundred times and you’re never home. Did you know my key doesn’t work? I think your lock is broken.”

“My lock works just fine. I had them changed. I found I was getting too much walk through traffic when I needed the peace and quiet to work. I rather enjoy working at home.”

“But you don’t answer the door.” Michael whined.

“No I don’t.” Brian finished his dinner, took a last sip of coffee and stood up. “Hey Deb, I’d like half a dozen lemon squares to go please.” 

“That’s a lot of lemon squares.” Deb said with a smile as she put them in a small white box. “You expecting company?”

“Not really, these are for a friend. Kind of a house warming gift.” Brian paid her, took the box and left the diner.

“He’s still pissed with me.” Michael looked dejected. “How was I to know he still had feelings for Justin?”

“Everyone knew he loved the boy.” Emmett shook his head. “You just didn’t see what the rest of us saw.”

“He never goes to Babylon anymore. I wonder where he goes. I think he’s avoiding us.”

“Brian’ll get over it, Honey.” Deb patted her son’s cheek. “He doesn’t give his heart easily and having things turn out the way they did, I’m surprised he’s doing as well as he is.”

“I think Justin's dead.” Michael shook his head. “Brian just won’t admit it.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Hey Chief, Justin, is the movie any good?” Brian stepped into his loft, not surprised to see Justin and his caretaker watching television.  He didn’t expect any kind of answer from Justin, but he now turned his head toward Brian when he came into the room. It wasn’t much, but it was more than before.

“Brian, you’re home early tonight.” Samuel Jones rose to his feet. “I’ve got a fresh pot of coffee on, I’ll get you a cup before I go.”

“Better yet, bring it to the table. I’ve got some great news. Everything went through and we’re moving. No more being cooped up inside these four walls. No more worry about unexpected visitors. The house cleared escrow and it’s all ours. What’s even better, my bonus tonight will let me take some time selling the loft. I’ll be able to get a better price if we take our time.”

“I’ll list my place tomorrow.” Samuel said with a smile. “It’ll be nice to finally get to the new house.”

Brian and Samuel had searched long and hard for just the right place to take Justin for his recovery. Finally finding it in a home in the country, complete with 5 acres of land, and a guesthouse that Samuel could live in. The property was fenced and gated, had a heated pool and a sunroom that could be used as a studio if Justin ever made it that far in his recovery. Brian had high hopes. But best of all as far as Brian was concerned, was the small woodland inside the gates and the brook that bubbled along in the south corner. It was a place of mystery and magic, guaranteed to give Justin something to use his imagination on. He couldn’t wait to takes walks with his blond; maybe have picnics by the brook.

“You know Sam, you don’t have to list your place.” Brian was constantly surprised by the genuine niceness of the other man in his life.

“I know I don’t Brian. But I’ve talked with Justin’s doctors too. I know he isn’t going to wake up tomorrow and be back to normal. I’m getting up there in years, and what do I need that big house for? I might as well sell it and let someone else enjoy the place. The little house will be ship shape in no time, just the way I like things.” It was one of the things Brian liked about the old man. Both of them liked to keep the loft immaculate and tidy. “I do think we should get our boy a dog though. He needs the contact and from what I’ve read, the unconditional devotion of a dog gives his person something to focus on.”

“I’ve read that too, but Sam, I’ve never had a dog. I wouldn’t know where to start looking.”

“I think we should let Justin pick one out. I thought maybe we could take him to the SPCA after we move into the house. The right dog will find him. As for you young man, a little bit of dog love wouldn’t hurt you either.”

“I suppose a dog for Justin would be okay. He’d live outside wouldn’t he?” Brian asked.

“Not likely, Brian.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A week later, Brian made a deal with the owner of the building where his loft was situated. He traded his loft on the fourth floor for a smaller one on the main floor. Because the house he’d bought was a forty-minute ride out of the city, he needed something for the winter days when he couldn’t make it home. The trade also gave him a profit of a hundred grand that he quickly put on the mortgage of the new house.

Of course, moving to the main floor had its problems, the main one being his family and friends. To get the whining over, he asked Emmett to help him move, knowing that in short order the whole gang would arrive.

“Brian, why are you moving down here?” Michael had arrived and was standing in the doorway to Brian’s new apartment. “This place is barely bigger than my old room at Ma’s.”

“Oh, I think it’s a bit larger than that Mikey.” Brian drawled, though he privately thought Michael wasn’t completely wrong.  At 450 square feet there wasn’t a lot of room. But it was comfortable and really all he needed right now. Luckily, his minimalist decorating made fitting his furniture in the smaller place relatively easy. He’d had a Murphy bed built in to one end of the room, his main splurge.  That way he could use the place as a meeting room, or office when he didn’t spend the night. Brian was considering going out on his own and beginning his own business, though not yet. He couldn’t afford it.

“It doesn’t make any sense Brian. I mean you’re always working. I don’t understand why you’d sell your big loft for something small like this.” Michael was baffled.

“I prefer to invest my money in other things. It’s not like this is going to be forever. Now stop bitching and help me get my stuff moved. I’ll even buy pizza and beer when we’re finished.”

The Chief is here a lot. I think he’s supposed to watch me. I wonder why we moved. I miss the loft but this house is nice. The Chief took me into all the rooms. I can’t believe there’s four bedrooms. I was scared at first that Brian wanted me to sleep alone but the Chief showed me my clothes in the closet and drawers in the main bedroom. I wish I could decorate it. I wish my damn head would start working. I know I’m a little bit better. I can smile now when I want to, which is all the time, because Brian soooooo loves me. It doesn’t matter much that no one else ever comes around.