Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian  

Why the fuck did Lindsay have to show him that paper?  Now all Brian could think about was that his ex- boyfriend (yes, that's what he was) would be returning to the Pitts.  Worse than that, Justin would most likely be making an appearance at the diner and other popular gay hangouts that Brian frequented.  No doubt their paths would cross and the fucking fiddler would be gloating and taking every opportunity to flaunt their happy, idyllic relationship in his face.  Of course, being Brian Kinney he'd wouldn't give the fucker the satisfaction of showing any kind of reaction.  

Fuck, he desperately needed to get shit faced tonight.  Where the hell was Michael when he needed him?   

The buzzer rang and Brian was surprised to hear his employee and friend's voice on the other end.  

"Bri, it's me.  Can I come up?" Ted inquired.  

Brian didn't offer a response, instead, he merely buzzed him in.  

A few moments later there was a light rapping on the door.  

Brian slid the door open and remarked, "Shit, you even knock like a fag."  

"Excuse me?" Ted said, furrowing his brows together.  

"Never mind, Theodore.  What the fuck are you doing here?"  

"Just heard the news and thought I'd see how you're doing."  

"What news?" Brian countered.   

Ted visibly twitched but then boldly announced, "Seems Justin Taylor is coming home."  

"Oh, that news.  Lindsay already beat you to it.  She couldn't wait to tell me that the golden boy of Europe and Paganini Jr. are returning," Brian said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.  

Ted stepped closer, concern etched on his face.   

"Are you okay?" the older man questioned with sincerity.

"Why the fuck wouldn't I be?"   

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because the only man you've ever loved is coming back home."  

"Fuck you, Theodore.  I never loved him."  

"Uh, right, Bri.  Well, in any case, would you care to accompany me to Woody's tonight?"  

"Why, Theodore, I had no idea you had a crush on me too.  Tell me is there any one of your friends you haven't had a crush on?" Brian sniped.   

"Fuck you."  

Brian laughed.  Ted had become his confidante this past year.  In some ways, he was closer to him than even Michael.  Brian's eyes softened and he studied his friend with new found endearment.  

"Well, would do you say?  Feel like tossing a few beers together?  I'll even wait for you while you most assuredly proceed to get wasted and fuck the first hot guy or two, or three, that you see."  

"Okay, Theodore," Brian relented with a smirk.  "But only because someone has to be around to prevent you from making a fool of yourself."  

"Gee, thanks, Bri."  

Brian retrieved his black leather Armani jacket and both men bounded out the door.    

 

Justin  

Their flight was on time and the two young men boarded the small plane.  Justin made his way through the narrow aisle.  He suddenly stopped and turned to address Ethan.   

"Would you mind if I take the aisle seat?"   

The scruffy musician didn't hesitate when he replied, "Sure."  He squeezed past Justin and slid into the seat near the window.  

Justin knew Ethan wouldn't give him a problem with his request.  His boyfriend understood that he was still a little leery of flying, especially since he was always fearful that one of his panic attacks might choose to make an unwanted appearance.   

Justin was thankful when he was able to order a drink before takeoff to take the edge off his anxiety.  His azure blue eyes regarded his doting partner, who smiled and reached for Justin's hand.   

Justin sucked in a deep breath.  If only he could love Ethan like... but it was useless.  He had been over it a million times in his mind.  It wasn't easy to make changes in your life, but he knew he had to be honest.  They both needed to face the truth.   

He pulled his hand away as inconspicuously as he could while he focused his attention on his drink, and the fact that he would be in his home town in approximately eight hours.  After a year and a half, he was apprehensive about the welcome he would get.  At least he knew that his mother was pleased.  However, he couldn't help but wonder how the rest of his family and friends would greet him.  

The pilot adeptly commanded the plane from the hanger and onto the runway.  Before they knew it, they were gliding effortlessly in the air.  Justin relaxed and his heart rate slowed.  He began flipping through some magazines while Ethan settled into a comfortable position listening to his I pod.   

Three hours into the flight they hit some turbulence and the plane dipped.  Justin's stomach did a somersault.  He became slightly alarmed when the pilot's calm voice came over the loudspeaker and requested that everyone take their seat.  The plane dipped again and he heard some gasps along with his own.  

"What the fuck is going on?"  

He glanced at Ethan, who looked just as worried as him.  Their seat belts  were securely fastened, but the next sharp dip did not prevent them both from pitching forward.  

Again, the pilot's voice came over the intercom.  This time, Justin detected an underlying duress in his words.   

"Ladies and Gentlemen.  We are experiencing some technical problems.  Please stay seated with your seat belts on. The stewardesses will be checking to make sure you are..."  

The man never did get to finish his statement because all of a sudden they heard a loud boom.  People screamed as the air masks dropped from their little compartment and someone in the cockpit cursed as the plane began to buck.  

Justin heard a stewardess yell, "Put your air masks on and get down."  

Justin glanced at Ethan as they hastily fastened their air masks over their nose and mouth and compressed their bodies into a tight ball.  From their hunched over positions, Ethan's moist eyes locked with his.  They were both too terrified to speak.  

As the pilot lost all control and the plane began helplessly spiraling toward the ground an apparition of Brian's beautiful face suddenly visualized before him.  

"Oh God!" someone cried.    

A frenzy ensued with baggage and debris being strewn about the cabin, and people shrieking and panicking.  Justin gripped the arms of his seat until his knuckles turned white.  The air pressure was increasing and closing in on him, making it impossible to breathe properly.  He felt almost as if he might combust.  

"Brian" was the last word to escape his mouth before everything went black.       

 

Brian  

The head of Kinney Advertising was having a bad day.  Brown Athletics had his balls twisted.  They wanted him to change the font and color of an ad at the umpteenth hour before publication.   

Sometimes Leo Brown was a pain in the ass.  Normally, Brian wouldn't let it rattle him, but today he was in an especially pissed off mood.  Today was the day Justin was returning.   

So when Michael burst into his office unexpectedly he was teetering on the brink of throwing him out on his ass.    

"Brian, Brian!" Michael shouted.  

"Michael you are my oldest and dearest friend, but what the fuck gives you the right to barge in here?"   

"But, Brian..."  Michael said in a pleading voice.  He was shaking and looked distraught.  

Brian began to feel nauseous.  He had an ominous feeling and came around the conference table to face his old friend.  

"What is it, Mikey?"  He rested a hand on Michael's shoulder to offer encouragement.  "Is Deb okay?"  

Michael nodded because that's all he could manage.  He was currently hyperventilating and rendered speechless.   

"Calm down, Mikey," Brian instructed him.  

Michael concentrated as hard as he could and finally succeeded in finding his speaking voice.   

"Brian...it's Justin."   

Michael was almost hesitant to say anything else when he saw Brian's face contort.  

"What about him?"  

"I was at Ma's when Jennifer called.  He was on a plane heading here." 

Michael swallowed hard and continued.  "Brian, it went down.  The plane is missing; they think it may have crashed."  

Brian's fingers dug into Michael's shoulder.  His eyes grew wide and his face blanched.   

"Fuck!"