Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Justin  

He waited patiently for his mystery visitor to come into view.  As the line of people paraded into the room, he caught a glimpse of a familiar pair of legs.  He'd recognize that bouncy strut anywhere.   

Damn...  

Justin's heart sank a little in disappointment that it wasn't Brian.  However, he recovered in enough time to brandish a sunshine smile for his visitor.  She looked the same since he last saw her, except she had put streaks of honey brown highlights in her hair.  The pretty young woman's eyes twinkled with happiness as she embraced him in a warm, affectionate hug.   

"I've missed you, Jus."  

"Me too, Daph."  

"Your hair," she exclaimed, putting her hand over her mouth as she backed away from him.  And then more dramatically added, "You cut your beautiful hair."  

"Oh that..." Justin said, subconsciously rubbing his neck where his longer hair had been.  "I didn't exactly have a choice.  Everyone in the facility has these strict rules to follow, including how we dress and how we wear our hair."  

Daphne conducted a quick assessment of the other patients in the room, before letting out a giggle.  

"What?"  

"It's just that I feel like I'm in the middle of an episode of OZ.  Or better yet, an after school special."  

Justin smirked.   

"Yeah, and I'm the poster child for how to fuck up your life."  

Daphne's jovial mood dissipated.  

"You know, you really shouldn't talk like that.  You've been through a lot.  At least you're trying to help yourself now."  

Justin shrugged his shoulders and plopped himself down on a bench.  Daphne took her cue and sat down beside him.  

"It all keeps coming back to something Brian used to say," Justin said thoughtfully.  "People cause their own pain."  

They both reflected upon that statement for a moment.  

"Can you talk about it now?" Daphne piped up, her need to know all of her best friend's secrets getting the best of her.  "I mean, it's okay if you don't want to."  

Justin ran his fingers through the short strands of hair and grabbed a handful, steeling himself for their overdue conversation.  

"You've always been there for me, Daph," he began earnestly.  "I wanted to tell you so many times about the crazy thoughts in my head, but I couldn't.  Plus, you were so busy with school I didn't want to burden you with any of my shit."  

"Fuck that!" Daphne's serene brown eyes suddenly became alive, flickering with emotion.  "I'm your best friend.  I expect you to call me when you need someone to talk to.  It doesn't matter how busy I am.  I'll always find time for you, Justin."  

The blond bowed his head in regret, perceiving the undercurrent of hurt in her voice.  When he raised it, his moist eyes held a look of defeat.   

"I don't deserve your friendship.  And I certainly don't deserve anyone's love after the hell I put everyone through," he quavered.  

Daphne laid her hands on Justin's shoulders and gripped them, giving him one hard shake.  

"I don't ever want to hear you say that again," she warned.  "Now, stop with the self pity and talk to me.  Jeez, you're still such a big, dramatic queen."  

"Drama queen," Justin corrected sharply, effectively halting any tears from spilling from his eyes.  

"I know," Daphne cajoled.  "I said that on purpose."  

"To get a rise out of me?"  

"Yep," his best friend grinned.  

Justin proceeded to share the intimate details of his self-inflicted penance.  As he was divulging his innermost thoughts, Daphne noticed a young woman glaring at her.   

"What's her problem?" she asked, beginning to get irritated.  "That girl's just plain rude."  

"That's my friend, Tracey," Justin answered as he acknowledged his new friend with a wave and a smile.  

"Seems a little obsessed if you ask me," Daphne proclaimed staring back at the girl.  

"Uh, Daph, did you even hear everything I said?"  

"Yeah, Jus...I was listening.  You said you're on the road to recovery,  So, are you going to tell me how you really feel?  I mean, don't you think about the day when you can get out of this place?"  

"No, not really.  I want to go home, but I'm not sure I'm ready yet."  

Daphne interrupted him again. 

"That weird girl keeps watching us.  Doesn't she have anything better to do?"  

"Don't be so hard on her, Daph.  Her mom couldn't visit today.  Tracey's become a really good friend.  She's helped me a lot."  

"Hmmmmmm...  If you ask me, looks like she wants to be more than your friend."  

"Don't be ridiculous.  She's well aware that I'm gay."  

He attributed Daphne's cutting remarks to her being jealous.  He couldn't blame her.  He would feel just as threatened if some other guy he didn't know suddenly became her trusted confidante.  

The remainder of their visit went well and before they knew it, visiting hours unexpectedly came to an end.  They hugged each other tightly, both of them feeling like it was too soon to part with the other.  Daphne released her grip and promised that she would try to visit again since the semester was over. 

 

   
Daphne  

The CEO of Kinney Advertising was in the middle of a business call, when Cynthia buzzed in.   

"Cynthia, I thought I said I didn't want to be disturbed."  

"Sorry, boss," Brian's assistant apologized.  "But there's a very anxious young lady waiting to talk with you...a Ms. Chanders."

"Tell her I'll be with her in a few minutes."  

"Will do, boss."  

Five minutes later, Mr. GQ himself walked through the door.    

"Daphne, to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?  Need some boyfriend advice?"  

Daphne frowned at him as he whisked her into his office.  But Brian continued to taunt her.  

"As I remember correctly, your best friend provided you with some valuable pointers.  Even gave a demonstration."  

"Brian, shut up.  You're impossible!"  

"I try my best."  

"Wait till I get a hold of Justin.  He was supposed to keep that a secret."  

"Don't be too upset.  The lad was coerced into telling me what you two were up to.  But not before swearing me to secrecy, of course."  

Daphne sighed and shook her head.   

"What can I do for you?"  

"You can stop being such a prick all the time."  

"Ooo...kay," Brian responded, not really sure what she meant by that.  

"I went to see Justin yesterday."  

Then she saw it.  It was subtle, but at the mention of her best friend's name, his hazel eyes betrayed a longing and sadness.  Of course, Brian threw his mask of indifference on, but not before she had stolen a peek at the truth.  It was all she needed to see to confirm that she was doing the right thing.  

Brian turned toward his desk and began fiddling with some papers.   

"So how is the next Andy Warhol?"  

He was striving so hard to appear nonchalant, Daphne thought.  Too hard.

"He's doing okay, but he could be even better."  

Still appearing pre-occupied with his notes, he questioned, "And how's that?"  

"If you would just stop being so stubborn and go visit him.  He needs you, you know."  

"From what I hear, he's doing fine without me.  Justin's a survivor," he stated with a splash of pride.  

"I agree," Daphe said.  "But to truly heal, he needs you to tell him that you forgive him.  And that you still love him.  That would be the best medicine."  

Brian remained quiet, unable and unwilling to make eye contact with her.   

Daphne walked up to him, strategically stopping inches away from his face.  

"He loves you.  He never stopped loving you.  He's always regretted his decision to leave..."  

Brian was looking directly at her now, although he still kept silent.   

She continued, "He tried to make it work with Ethan, but he knew in his heart that he still loved you.  Please, tell him how you feel.  It would make such a difference to him."  

Daphne felt encouraged that she had finally captured his undivided attention.  It appeared as if Brian were about to say something, but decided against it.  His hand holding the papers dropped to his side and he bit his lower lip.  He looked...he looked vulnerable, she decided.  

Then, it hit her like a tidal wave.  It suddenly all became crystal clear.   

It's not that Brian was pissed off at Justin.  That wasn't why he wouldn't visit him.  The truth was visible in his expression, even though he was trying his best to remain stoic.  He was absolutely terrified of losing Justin, of having his heart broken again.   

Determined to make Brian believe that Justin's love was worth the risk, Daphne pressed on.   

"I'll never forget what he said the day after he met you.  He told me that he just saw the face of God.  Brian, the only reason he left you for Ethan was because you pushed him to do it.   You have a second chance here.  Don't you see how lucky you are?  Please, don't make the same mistake again.  Don't push him away."  

Because he looked so pained and forlorn, Daphne impulsively leaned over and hugged him.  Then, she gave Brian a gentle peck on the cheek and walked away, hoping that what she said had been enough.