Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Justin  

He leaned over and studied the sleeping figure with a mess of chocolate brown hair, that was huddled under the covers.  The rhythmic rise and fall of the breathing form was almost mesmerizing.  Last night Ethan had played at a venue where he was one of the featured trio of violinists showcasing their skills and he was understandably exhausted.  Justin smiled to himself when he remembered how the young man lying next to him had received the loudest applause from Europe's elite.  His dark eyes had glowed with pride and he gave that arrogant little smirk that meant, "I know I'm fucking brilliant, so lay it on me".   

Justin was well aware that Ethan was not a humble person and it never failed to amuse him.  His partner of nearly two and a half years knew he was amazingly talented and expected all of the accolades.  In fact, Ethan would sometimes complain to Justin if he thought his extraordinary musical gift was not being properly appreciated.  It wasn't easy dealing with the ego of a self-proclaimed genius.  

The young couple were currently residing in a beautiful villa in Rome on the last leg of the tour.  At the end of the month they would finally return to Pittsburgh.  "Home,' Justin sighed with relief.  Amidst their hectic schedule and busy lives, he had only seen his mother and sister on three separate occasions and he missed them terribly.   

He was more than ready to be reunited with his family and friends.  Of course, he already knew that there was one special person who would be missing.  Daphne was attending medical school in New York City.  Justin made a mental note to take a road trip to visit with her as soon as he could escape for a little while.  

His best friend's advice had always been invaluable, but he hadn't wanted to bother her with his latest woes.  Daphne needed to devote her energies to studying, not worrying about him.  However, these past few months had been particularly stressful and Justin had missed having someone to commiserate with.  After much agonizing and soul searching, he finally managed to figure some things out on his own.  Now his emotions were all over the place, alternating between dreading going back to the Pitts and looking forward to it.  He needed to get things settled and decided that his return trip would be the opportune time to do it.   

Justin and Ethan spent the next week and a half preparing for their journey back to the States.  Justin was truly going to miss the culture and the incredible ambiance that Europe had provided for his creativity.  But he was grateful that he had made somewhat of a name for himself during his extended stay.  It was his recent accomplishments, along with Lindsay's personal recommendation, which had secured a future showing of his most recent paintings at the Sydney Bloom gallery.  This would be his first solo exhibition in the Pitts and he was anxious to see how his artwork would be received.   

As Ethan boarded up the boxes with some of the things they had acquired, Justin was miles away.  His thoughts were preoccupied with how his life would change within the next couple of days.  He turned and watched Ethan use up the last of the tape as he silently prayed that he was doing the right thing. 
   

Brian  

Lindsay was prattling on about this and that when she suddenly became animated.   

"Have you seen this?"  

She tossed what looked like a folded up newspaper on top of his kitchen counter.   

"What's the fuck's that?"  

"Why don't you look at it," Lindsay suggested.  

"Why should I when you're going to tell me all about it in a minute anyway?"  

Brian continued pouring his much needed cup of coffee.  He hated when Lindsay intruded on him early in the morning, and on a weekend no less.  

"Justin's made the newspaper again."  

Brian instinctively glanced down but quickly discovered it was a bad idea when he saw a picture of Justin and the fiddler glaring back at him.   

"Lindsay, why do you insist on giving me an up to date account on Justin's life?  He left the 'Burgh a long time ago.  He's moved on and so have I.  I wish you would give it a rest."  

"Oh come on now. I know you still have feelings for him. "  

Brian frowned relating his displeasure with her presumptuous statement.  

"I just thought you'd want to know that he's coming back home...for good."  

Inside Brian felt conflicted by the news, but outwardly he maintained his cool composure and inquired, "So how does Gus like his new teacher?"  

"Oh no you don't."  

"Don't what?"  He arched his brows trying to look genuinely clueless.  

"Don't go trying to change the topic by distracting me."  

"Wouldn't dream of it," Brian said smirking.  

"Call me foolish but I always thought you and he would wind up together,"  Lindsay stated looking melancholy.  

"I hate to disappoint you and your romantic notions, but it's not going to happen.  To me he'll just be another fag in this wonderful city of ours," Brian said, trying hard but failing to keep the malice out of his voice.   

"B-but I just..." Lindsay faltered, affected by the unexpected vehemence in her friend's words.  

"End of story.  Now can we move on to more important matters like my son?"  

Lindsay knew that she had already pushed Brian too far, so she didn't dare say another word about Justin.  Instead, the remainder of their time together was spent talking about Gus.  

When Lindsay finally left the loft, Brian felt himself inexplicably drawn to the paper that was still on the counter.  He hesitated in unfolding it.  Once he did, there was Justin with his boyfriend, looking vibrant and breathtakingly beautiful.  He noted how the other man had his arm possessively slung around the blond's shoulders as if to announce his ownership to the world.   

Brian got a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach.  He was surprised to find that the blond could still elicit such a strong reaction in him.  Was it true?  Was he still in love with him?  Brian took a deep breath and then grasped the paper, crumpling it up as best he could, before shucking it into the garbage.   

Justin had left him.  Justin was in love with someone else who was better suited for him.  They were never meant to be together.  Love was nothing but sentimental hetero bullshit.  Brian resolved to never be fooled again by some pretty little blond boy batting his long lashes and wiggling his delectable, rounded bottom.   

Furthermore, Brian Kinney did not do love because he was not capable of being loved.  His parents had showed him many years ago that he was not worthy of anyone's love and Justin had confirmed it when he left.