Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian

Brian didn't even hesitate, he just reacted when he saw Justin falling.  He sprang forward in a valiant attempt to catch any part of the kid's body.  

As a testament to his quick reflexes, he somehow managed to secure a lock on Justin's legs.  However, more than half of the young man's small frame dangled backwards over the side of the building, his legs bent at the knees.  

Fuck!  He'd barely caught him in time.  Brian had to hold on with all his might since 80 percent of the blond's body was already being drawn towards the ground by gravity.  

"Justin!" Brian shouted.  "Are you okay?"  

No answer.   

The kid was dead weight against the building, a rag doll with his arms flailing in the wind.  He was unconscious. 

'Hopefully, he was only temporarily incapacitated from his clumsy encounter with the side of the building,' Brian hypothesized.  

Please let him be okay.  

Brian quickly assessed that they were in a precarious position.  A huge indication of the seriousness of their plight was that he couldn't move much without risking Justin's safety.  This was due to the fact that he had thrown all of his one hundred sixty-five pounds on top of the lad to thwart his descent.  

Hold on, Justin.  

Brian could barely distinguish the small crowd gathering below.  He hoped that by now some alert bystander had called 911.  As fit as he was, his arms were feeling the strain and he didn't know how much longer he could hold onto Justin.  

Sirens were blaring in the near distance.   

Hurry up, damn it!  

Suddenly, he heard groans.   

"Justin?"  

"Arghh...mmm...oh shit!  Brian?"  

"I've got you.  Hold on."  

"Why did you save me?  You should have let me go."  

"Stop talking like that.  You aren't to blame for Ethan's death."  

"Brian, you're going to fall with me.  Let me go."  

"Like hell I will."  

Justin began to twist and Brian struggled to keep him still.  

"Fuck, Justin. Stop that."  

"Let me go, I'm not going to be the cause of someone else dying."  

"Let me go!" Justin repeated.  

"Fine," Brian said, his tone laced with anger.  

"What?"  

"You want to put an end to your life so badly, by all means don't let me stop you."  

Brian unexpectedly released his vise-like grip on the younger man's legs and Justin proceeded to free fall ten stories. 

 

 

Justin  

To his surprise, his landing was cushioned by a giant sized airbag waiting below.  Several firemen immediately mounted the air mattress.    

Damn, I nearly shit my pants.  Fucking Brian.  

The firefighters were all over Justin in a matter of seconds and carried him off of the air bag to solid ground.  They escorted him to the open hull of an emergency vehicle where they began treating him for a huge cut on the back of his head and some abrasions on the back of his arms.  

A minute later, he spotted a surly Brian coming towards the ambulance flanked by two policemen.  

"That was a really shitty thing to do," Justin yelled at Brian.  

"Tough, you deserved it.  There was no way I was going to assist in your untimely demise.  I noticed the airbag below and I'd had enough of your constant bellowing, so I couldn't resist."  

"Justin Taylor," one of the cops confirmed interrupting their heated conversation.  

Justin nodded.  

"You are being remanded into police custody and are going to be taken to Allerghany Hospital for observation."  

"Fuck, you can't do that.  I have rights..."  

"Your rights went out the window when you tried to jump off that building, Sonnyboy," Brian sarcastically quipped.  

"Mr. Kinney is correct.  Legally we have the right to take you to a hospital for observation and evaluation."  

"I fell.  How can you take me into custody for that?"  

"Mr. Kinney has a different version of what happened up there.  We have no choice but to take his word and address it accordingly."  

"But..." Justin began to protest.  

"Son," the older cop interjected.  "We have other witnesses who have corroborated that you were loitering on the ledge of the building.  You can either go voluntarily to the hospital or we can strap you to a gurney."  

Justin quietly acquiesced and allowed the EMT to lead him to a seat at the back of the ambulance.  Brian started to climb in when the policeman stopped him.  

"I'll drive you to the hospital, Sir.  Officer Smith will accompany Mr. Taylor."  

"See you there," Brian called out to a sulking Justin.    

 

 

Brian  

He called Michael from the police car.  After explaining what had happened, Brian asked him to pick Debbie up and rush over to Jennifer's.  He gave him strict orders to gingerly relay the news to Justin's mother and then accompany her to the hospital. 
 

Brian was concerned about all the strain this drama was putting on Mother Taylor.  Although he wanted her to come to the hospital to be there for Justin, he had an ulterior motive, to get her examined.  Despite their differences he respected and liked the woman.  She loved Justin and had always done everything she could to protect her son.   

He couldn't fucking believe this was the second time Justin had tried and nearly succeeded in killing himself.  Brian mulled over the gravity of the situation and came to an obvious decision of what he must do.   

He arrived at the hospital just as they were wheeling Justin into a triage room.  The tall, lean cop from before was still by his side.  

Good, at least Justin wasn't going anywhere.  

Brian walked over to the attending nurse and requested, "I need to speak with you about Justin Taylor."  

"Are you a relative?"  

"No," he answered, but followed it by saying, "I'm a very close friend."  

"How can I help you Mister..."

"Kinney," he supplied for her.  "Justin's been under Dr. Vaughn's care.  This is the second time he's tried to hurt himself."  

"Thank you for the information, Sir.  We'll page Dr. Vaughn at once."  

Brian had no desire to see the wacky shrink again, but he acknowledged it was the right thing to do.  It was apparent that Justin required professional help and he wasn't above swallowing his pride to ensure that the young man would get what he needed.  

Within a half hour Jennifer arrived with Debbie and Michael.  She was a mess.  Debbie had her arms around her and was visibly on the verge of tears herself.  

"Brian," Jennifer cried and then surprised him by hugging him tightly.  She cried into his shoulder and between sobs questioned, "When is this nightmare going to end?"  

He rubbed circles on her back to comfort her as he wondered the same thing.   

Was Justin too far gone to help?  

Just then, Dr. Vaughn appeared.  He approached the small cluster of Justin's loved ones.   

"Doctor, how is he?"  

Jennifer released Brian and turned her attention to the man in white hospital garb.  

"Justin gave me quite a synopsis of what happened.  Of course, he had no choice but to tell me the truth.  The physical evidence was irrefutable.  I'm sorry to have to inform you, but he's not only been cutting his arm, he's been cutting his thigh too."  

"Oh my God!" Jennifer gasped.  Any semblance of composure she may have gathered unraveled.  Brian came to her aid yet again, protectively curling his arm about her.  

"Michael, get Jennifer some water," Debbie ordered.  "The poor thing has been through hell."  

"Let's all sit down over there," Dr. Vaughn suggested as he pointed to the row of seats in the waiting area.  

"We need to discuss our next steps."  

Brian and Debbie assisted a frail Jennifer to a nearby chair.  

"I'll do anything to help, doc," Brian said, which was the closest he would come to apologizing to the man.  

"We all will," Debbie vowed as Michael returned with the water.   "Here honey, drink some of this."   

Jennifer's hands were shaking as she sipped the water from the cup Debbie offered.  

"It's obvious that Justin cannot handle his overbearing guilt, whether it's warranted or not.  It's also prudent to state that he needs to be monitored very carefully."  

"I agree," Brian said.  "What do you suggest?"  

"There's a special program in our Mental Health department for young adults, ages twenty-one to thirty.  I think Justin is an ideal candidate for this particular program.  Many of the patients have tried to commit suicide, while others have exhibited self destructive behaviors.  Justin would be expected to attend therapy sessions twice a day; once in a group and once individually."  

"How would you ensure that he wouldn't run away?" Brian asked.  "He doesn't exactly have a good track record."  

"The facility is completely locked down.  Each patient is confined to their own room at night.  It's extremely structured and patients are closely supervised.  There are orderlies and nurses on site who enforce strict rules."  

"That sounds like a prison.  What will that do to Justin?  It might make him worse being treated like a caged animal," Jennifer complained in a tired voice, tainted with motherly fear.  

It was Brian who answered her.   

"Jennifer, I don't want to see him locked up either, but what if I'm not around the next time to prevent him from trying to kill himself?"  

Her eyes red and swollen, Jennifer took a moment to ponder all that had been said.   

"I know you're right, Brian.  I can't help but think of him as my sweet, little boy.  But I'm so scared for him, for his future.  I agree.  Do whatever you have to do to help him doctor, please."  

"Very well, I'll make the arrangements to admit him.  You're doing the best thing under the circumstances, Mrs. Taylor," the doctor assured her.  "Your son's life is at stake."  

When he left, Jennifer turned to face Debbie.   

"What would you have done?"  

"If it were Michael, I'd drag his ass to the hospital and commit him myself."  

"Gee thanks, Ma."   

"Now that that's been decided," Brian concluded, "let's get you looked at."  

"But Justin..."  

"He can wait, Mother Taylor" Brian told her.  "A nice policeman is babysitting him at the moment, anyway."  

"You need to take care of you, honey.  Otherwise, you'll be of no use to Sunshine," Debbie added.  

"You do look kind of washed out," Michael voiced in agreement .  

"Well, since it's unanimous I guess I have no choice."  

"Damn straight, you don't," Debbie remarked with her usual gruff that she reserved for the people she loved.   

The trio accompanied Jennifer to the nurses station with genuine concern for her and Justin foremost on their minds.