Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian  

He had taught Justin many things, but one thing he had not wanted the blond to acquire was his particular method of pain management.  Yet it had become a regular occurrence to be informed by his staff of Justin's nefarious activities each night.   

Of course, he could have banned him from Babylon, but the truth was he would rather have Justin in his own backyard where he could keep an eye on him, than risk the chance that the kid would engage in his pain management some place else.  At least Brian could instruct his employees to keep an eye on the younger man and protect him as much as they could without being obvious.   

However, Brian was also aware that no one could protect Justin from himself.  Occasionally, he would venture to Babylon and watch over Justin from afar.  Brian forced himself to remember that it was not up to him to be the lad's mother, friend, or keeper.  Although, he had always felt protective of the blond and old habits die hard.    

Justin  

It had been quite some time since Ethan's memorial.  But it was still too difficult for Justin to face his true emotions of the reality of what had happened.  Instead, he sought comfort by ingesting copious amounts of booze and drugs.  He tried to avoid being sober since his mind constantly drifted to Ethan and the role he had played in his untimely death.  

Sex had become another form of escape.  The rougher the better.  It didn't matter who or where.  The nameless faces of the tricks became a blur after a while anyway.   

Peaceful sleep alluded him.  If he didn't get drunk enough or stoned enough to pass out, Ethan haunted him in his dreams, converting them into nightmares.   

He felt as if he was sliding into a black hole, with no way out.    

 

Jennifer  

Justin had taken to sleeping the day away after partying all hours of the night into the early morning.  Jennifer would hear him stumbling in at around 4:30 a.m., a few hours before she had to go work; bumping into furniture, tripping over his own feet.  A couple of times she even left her room to help him settle into his own, when he was too wasted to navigate his way to his bed.  Jennifer had been quiet up until now, but enough was enough.   

She understood that her son was hurting, but he was carrying on for too long.  This had to stop.  This self destructive behavior was not like her Justin, or at least the Justin she used to know.  His recent actions reminded her of the only other time she had seen him angry, hurt, and acting out of character.   

It was after the bashing.  Justin's behavior had frightened her, just like it was making her fearful now.  She was at such a loss at the time of what to do, that she resorted to pleading with Brian to take her son.   

Even now, Jennifer still couldn't believe she had taken that gamble, although, it had paid off in the end.  It was that same concern for her son that made her pick up the phone to call someone she thought might be of help.   

Daphne answered after the second ring.  As it turned out, she had been just as concerned about her best friend as his mother was.  Between the two of them, they arranged for Daphne to make a brief trip home, with Jennifer insisting that she stay at the Taylor Residence.      

 

Justin  

He woke up at 5:00 in the evening to find Daphne sitting in a chair by his bed, staring at him.  

"Daph?" he said, rubbing the crusty sleep from his eyes. 

"What the fuck are you doing here?"  

"Is that a nice way to treat your best friend?" she complained. 

Then she pounced onto Justin's bed, threw her arms around him, and gave him a hug.  

"I've missed you," Daphne said.  

Justin hugged her back.  

"Me too...but why are you here?  Shouldn't you be at school?"  

"Fuck it.  I took a couple of days off.  I'm entitled.  Besides, I aced my mid-terms.  There's no way a couple of days of vacation are gonna destroy my GPA."  

"Okay.  But why now?"  

"Because I needed a break, but also because I've been worried about you."  

The light bulb went on in Justin's head.  

"Did my mother call you?"  

"I'm not gonna lie to you, Jus.  She did call me, but I was worried about you anyway and already thinking about coming for a visit.  Your mom only did what any other mother would do.  She's trying to help you."  

"Yeah, well I wish she would try to help me a little less.  She keeps treating me like I'm seventeen.  I'm twenty-two!"  

"Maybe if you stop acting like you're seventeen she would."  

This was why she was his best friend.  She always called him on his shit.  Justin truly adored her.  

"A lot's happened Daph," he said, looking down at the rumpled sheets.  

"I know, but you need to talk about it."  

"I can't."  

"Not even with me?" Daphne said, sounding hurt.  

It made him feel guilty.  But then again, he had a lot to be guilty about these days.  Justin avoided answering her by stating, "I need to take a shower."   

He tossed off the bedding and rose to go into the bathroom.  

Just from their short conversation Daphne knew that Jennifer had been right to worry.  Justin was in a bad place.  He had always been able to talk to her before.  The fact that he wouldn't confide in her now was not good.      

Jennifer  

Once again she had done what she thought was best.  From all appearances, it had worked.  Justin seemed happier to have Daphne at the house and had only indulged in heavy drinking one night.  The childhood friends had gone to what Justin referred to as a "breeder bar" in the neighborhood and came back at three in the morning high and giggling.   

That Sunday morning when she had to leave, Jennifer spoke candidly to the young woman when Justin was taking a shower.  Daphne was a good friend and Jennifer was grateful for the three days that she spent with Justin.  When she thanked her, Daphne smiled, but apprehensively expressed some concerns.  She told Jennifer that although Justin seemed more like himself, something about him was off.  Daphne also told her not to hesitate to call her if she needed to talk.    

 

Daphne  

Justin had insisted on driving his best friend to the bus depot.  As they said their goodbyes he pulled out a package from the trunk of the car.  He handed it to Daphne.  

"Oh my God.  Justin, I can't take this.  It's one of your favorite paintings."  

"You have to take it, otherwise you'll piss me off.  Oh, here... this too."   

He pulled a book out of his jacket pocket.   

"I thought you might like something to read on the bus."  

Daphne took the familiar, worn book from Justin's hands and glanced at the title.  

"Justin, you're giving me your favorite book of poems?"  

She tried to give it back to him.  

"Take it," Justin insisted, pushing the book back toward her.  

Daphne began to argue, but Justin's serious expression made her suddenly concede.   

"I'm really glad that you're my friend Daph.  You mean a lot to me."  

"I...don't know what to say."  

"Thank you would be nice."  

"Thank you, Justin."  Then she added on impulse, "Love you."  

"Love you, too.  Later."   

Justin attempted to crack a smile, but it came out looking more like a Mona Lisa expression.  

"Later," Daphne answered.  She studied her best friend as he walked to the car and drove away.   

Why was Justin acting so sentimental?   

Their entire exchange left her with an eerie feeling.     

 

Justin  

The very next day Justin was able to convince his mother that it was time for him to move into his own apartment.  He told her that he needed to start sifting through Ethan's things.  She agreed only after he promised to call her if he needed help or wanted to talk.  

Justin was relieved.  Daphne's little visit had actually made things easier for him.  It had managed to get his mother off his back.  His change in attitude attitude had led her to believe that he was doing better.   

Only he wasn't.  Things were worse than ever.