Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

The front door opens quickly and Craig looks almost relieved to see Justin standing there. "You're early!" He exclaims, then opens the door fully to let his estranged son inside.

Justin takes a step inside, noting how much older Craig looked since the last time he saw him. "My morning class was canceled, so I thought I could come here and you can tell me all about his schedule and stuff without feeling rushed," he explains. He glances up the staircase, "Is he asleep?" He assumed a two year old would be running around the house at this time of day.

"He's in a mood," Craig says with a tired sigh. "He's used to being in the day care, so he's just mad today."

"That sucks," Justin comments, "so he's upstairs?"

Craig nods, "Look, this is actually good. I can stop by the office before I leave to the airport."

Justin nods, "Okay. So, um.. what's his schedule like?"

Craig sighs, "Oh I don't know, Justin... he' two. He had breakfast this morning... and he's been in his room since then. He usually eats lunch around eleven... dinner at five.... in bed by seven."

Justin nods, waiting for more.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Craig clears his throat, "Look..um.. I really had thought that your mother, or Molly at least, would have told you about Kai... I didn't mean to throw you for a loop like that over the phone."

Forcing a smile, Justin shrugs, "It's done now, so whatever."

"Well," Craig picks up his duffle bag, "I'm heading to the office. There's cash on the counter by the phone if you want to order pizza."

"Does Kai like pizza?"

Craig shakes his head, "Sometimes...he's just a moody kid, Justin. He gets it from his mother."

Justin changes the subject, "Are you coming back to say 'bye' to him before you go?"

"Um," Craig looks as if he's considering it, then shakes his head, "Probably not. I'm going to head out now. Thanks a lot, Justin. I appreciate this."

Justin tries to calm his racing heart, "Wait, you're leaving now? Don't you want to introduce me to him?"

Craig tilts his head to the direction of the stairs, "He's upstairs in his room."

"Aren't you at least going to say 'goodbye' to him?" Justin asks in disbelief.

"No," Craig opens the door, "This is better, trust me. Bye, Justin, thanks again." He quickly closes the door.

"What the fuck?" Justin asks aloud to no one in particular. This wasn't the Craig Taylor he remembered growing up. Shaking his head, he looks over at the stairs and slowly goes up the steps.

 

-------------------------------------

 

Ted sighs as he enters Brian's office when he sees his boss slumped on the office sofa. "Brian? Brian? Jesus Christ, what's wrong?"

Brian tries to sound casual, "Nothing. I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

Ted shakes his head, "Well for one thing, you look like shit."

Smiling, Brian replies, "Thank you."

"This is the second time this has happened."

Ted: This is the second time this has happened.

Brian groans, "Fucking accountants. They have to keep a record of everything."

Leaning in closer, Ted confides, "I just want you to know that you can trust me. As a friend and as someone who has been through it all. I mean there is nothing I haven’t seen or done, which is why I don’t presume to judge anyone, but there’s one thing I know. The first and hardest step you’ll ever have to take is admitting you have a problem. Once you’ve done that, you’re on the road to recovery."

Brian sighs and glances over at his old friend. Something told him it was okay,  "It’s the Big C, Ted."

"Cocaine?"

"It’s bigger."

"Crystal?"

"Bigger."

"Caffiene?"

"It’s cancer, Theodore!"

Ted is stunned, "C-c-c-"

"But relax. They got it. I’m having radiation. It started this morning. Excuse me." Getting up, he quickly runs to the bathroom to vomit.

Ted pours him a glass of water. "I can't tell you how relieved I am. I mean, that you're going to be alright."

Brian takes the water, "Thanks," and lies back down on the couch.

Ted sits beside him, "Is there anything I can do?"

"As a matter of fact, you can do three things. First, keep your mouth shut or you're fired..."

Ted pretends to seal his lips.

"Second, I want you to cover for me this afternoon with Dandy Lube."

"Cover for you?" Ted asks, confused.

"Make the presentation."

"But, I..." Ted stammers.

Brian looks at Ted right in the eye, "If you could pretend that you were Pavarotti at that pathetic pasta palace, you can do this."

"What's the third?"

"Call me a cab. I'm going home."

********************************

"Mikey, just calm down!" Debbie consoles as her son is talking a mile a minute at the diner.

"But, Ma, you should have seen him! First he breaks up with Justin, then he flies to Ibiza.. he looks like shit..."

"Do you think it's drugs?" She asks as she pours someone a cup of coffee.

"I think he's sick... really sick." Michael explains, "I don't think he went to Ibiza at all, Ma!" He sits down at the counter and waits for Debbie to join him.

"What do you mean?"

"There was a message from a Dr. Rabinowitz on his machine, checking up on his surgery and to discuss follow-up treatment. So I called the hospital to see who Dr. Rabinowitz is and he’s an oncologist who specializes in testicular cancer," Michael explains.

"Oh shit!" Debbie exclaims, covering her mouth with her hand. Shaking her head, she comments, "Well, I’m sure if he wanted us to know, he would have told us..."

"Why wouldn't he tell us?! Why wouldn't he tell me? I'm his best friend!" He shakes his head, "I mean, what are we supposed to do now? Just keep our mouths shut? Act like we don’t know anything?"

Debbie nods, "If that’s what he wants, then that’s exactly what we’re gonna do."