Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

short chapter, but it's been awhile since I've updated so I wanted to add something!

sorry for the delay in posting these next few chapters...

Gus was used to going to restaurants. His mothers often took him to family-friendly places where he could run around while his moms talked boring grown-up talk. He liked running around and playing in the indoor play equipment. He also loved playing in restaurant arcades. But what he really loved, was when his daddy took him out to him.

His daddy would often take him to a grown-up place to eat where there were no arcades or play equipment. They would munch on breadsticks and talk about Superman and Batman and Spiderman... and sometimes his daddy would just sit there and listen while Gus told him about his day and what he wanted to do if he flew to the moon one day. Daddy never acted like he was tired or wanted to do something else.

Gus loved going out with his daddy.

Today was no exception as Brian and Gus walked into The Carlton Restaurant for lunch. The staff knew Brian from previous visits with clients, but they were also familair with Brian's son, Gus, and the preschooler's impeccable taste and willingness to try new things.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Kinney and Mr. Gus," The hostess greeted as they entered the restaurant.

"Hi!" Gus said cheerfully, happy to have been picked up by his father early from preschool. His mommies had told him that his daddy had wanted to talk to him about something important.

Settling down at a table, the waiter immediately places a basket of breadsticks for Gus and two menus. Gus smiles, "Thanks," and picks up his menu, "reading" it upside down as he picks up a breadstick.

Brian smiles, "So what are you in the mood for, Sonnyboy? The Atlantic Salmon or Grilled chicken?" He knew that whatever they ordered, Brian would be the one eating most of the  meal.

"Salmon."

"Excellent choice," Brian says with a nod, handing the two menus back to the waiter. Leaning back, he asks, "So what's new?"

Immediately Gus begins talking about commercials for toys he saw and would like for his birthday and then about his friend Anthony who fell off his tricyle and needed to get a bandaid, and then about a tv show where a character had a red bike and somewhere along the conversation there was mention of a rainbow and possibly a bull, but Brian wasn't sure.

"Wow," Brian comments with a nod. "Sounds like you've been busy."

"Mommy says I'm always so busy that I never stop." Gus exclaims proudly, causing Brian to smile.

"I've noticed that too."

"How was your day?" Gus asks, ever the polite child, and Brian wonders -- no, he knows-- he was never that polite when he was three.

"Busy. Not as exciting as yours though." The food arrives and Brian cuts the salmon in half and places it on Gus' plate along with al the griddle cakes.

"I like the cakes best!" Gus announces as he picks the apple bits off of one and shoves the entire griddle in his mouth.

"I can see that," Brian takes a bite of his salmon. After a few moments, Brian seizes the moment, giving himself a quick peptalk that went somethigg along the lines of Stop being a fuckin' twat and tell him, Kinney!

"Do you remember Justin's brother, Kai?" Brian asks, taking a sip of water.

"I'm older than him," Gus answers, proud to know that he was bigger than someone for a change since he was the youngest in his preschool class and was getting tired of everyone having a birthday in the classroom except him.

"Yes, you are," Brian agrees, "He's two."

"And I'm three," Gus says, reaching for his glass and carefully taking a sip before putting it back down on the table, "And three is bigger than two."

"Right again," Brian says, nodding his head and taking another bite of his meal. "So, Kai is going to be staying with Justin and I for now on."

Gus tilts his head to one side, a position that Lindsay often has done when she is trying to understand something above her head. "What happened to his house?"

"Well, it's better for Kai to live with Justin and I than where he is now." Brian explains, trying to figure out how to explain it to a three-year-old without scarring the child for life.

"Doesn't his mommy love him?" Gus asks, his face a mixture of sympathy and disbelief.

"Kai doesn't have a mommy." Brian had sent Paul in search for Kai's mother in Canada in order to cover all bases, but it would probably be a moot point since she had abandoned him.

"Does he have a daddy?" Gus asks.

"Kai and Justin have the same daddy."

"Justin says that his daddy hasn't hugged him in a long, long time," Gus comments, taking another bite of his breadstick. "He doesn't hug Kai either?"

"No, he doesn't hug Kai either," Brian remembers the conversation he had witnessed months earlier when Gus had said to Justin that Brian gave the bestest hugs in the world, and if Justin liked getting hugs from his daddy.

"That's sad." Gus nods his head, agreeing with his own statement.

"Yes." Brian takes another sip of his water, "So he's going to be living with Justin and I."

"That's good." Gus says, "You give good hugs and Jus'n does too."

"Justin."

"Yeah."

"So we thought it would fun for you and Kai to have bunkbeds." Brian says casually, knowing what was about to start.

"Bunkbeds!" Gus shrieks, causing the other patrons to turn and look at their table. Brian pretends not to notice.

"You think that'll be okay?" He asks.

Gus nods his head quickly, "Can I see them? Can I come over now?"

Brian grins, "You have to ask your mommies first." He pauses, then continues, "Gus, you know my place is yours too, right?"

Gus nods, "Mommy says I have two homes plus one."

"Plus one?" Brian asks, knowing immediately that it was probably reserved for Debbie.

"Grandma Deb!" Gus replies with a roll of his eyes that is eerily similar to Melanie's.

"Of course!" Brian asks, pretending to hit his own head. Smiling, he continues, "So you can always be with Justin and I."

"And Kai."

"Yep, and Kai." Brian smiles, taking another sip of his water and wishing that all of humanity was as easy to talk to as a three-year-old.