Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

"I can call and change my nine o'clock meeting..." Brian begins as he watches Kai run around and around the sofa for the twelfth time.

Justin forces himself to smile, "Don't worry about it, Bri. Go to your meeting." He didn't want to admit he was feeling more than a little stressed about this morning's assessment. After Kai had gone to bed last night, Justin was sure that everything was going to be perfect. He and Brian stayed up talking for hours, which was something they hadn't done in a long time. Then they made slow, passionate love, and finally fell asleep around two o'clock that morning.

And then at 3 o'clock, Kai awoke screaming at the top of his lungs. Justin stumbled into the room first since he was able to put on a pair of pants on quicker that his lover. Brian blindly ran in seconds later and knocked right into his partner, causing him to fall over. The commotion at least made Kai stop screaming, but the toddler wouldn't stop crying until Brian carried him into he and Justin's bedroom.

Everyone fell back to sleep, but at four o'clock Kai woke up again and wanted to play. Patience was quickly dwindling and finally at 5:30, everyone was back to sleep in their own rooms.

6:00 the alarm went off, and thirty minutes later Kai's internal clock woke him up and the toddler had been running around the sofa ever since.

"What time in the assessment team coming?" Brian asks, hoping that maybe there was time for Justin to convince Kai to take a morning nap.

"8:30." Justin continues to force his smile, not wanting Brian to worry about him. They were both exhausted and he knew Brian had a busy day.

"Call me afterwards," Brian says and he finishes his coffee and dumps the mug in the sink. He had a nine o'clock meeting with a prospective client, and then an extended lunch meeting with a very important three-year old. Afterwards, he had planned to take his important lunch date to the park for some special daddy and son time.

"I will. Have a good time with Gus this afternoon," Justin says, this time with a genuine smile as he kisses his partner and gently pushes him towards the door. "We'll be fine here. I'll pull out some books for Kai to look at."

Kissing him back, Brian nods, "I'll be back before dinner. Want me to pick something up?"

Justin grins, remembering the new Chinese resturant that opened near Kinnetik. "Lemon chicken?"

Brian smirks, "How did I know you were going to say that?"

The blond laughs, "Because you know me so well. Now go. I love you," he says as he practically shoves Brian out the door.

"Yeah, I feel it." Brian chuckles as the door closes behind him. He was grateful for the push though: he needed it. The older man felt torn about leaving his partner, whom he knew was a nervous wreck, and going to work. And along with that, Brian also felt, for the first time, uneasy about how Gus would react to the news about Kai. At first he didn't think it would be such a big deal, but by the way Lindsay had phrased it, maybe he hadn't given Gus as much credit as he deserved. And that made Brian feel like shit.

He hated how people seemed to assume that he didn't care about his son. He cared more about Gus than his own life. And now here he was, possibly fucking him over.

He wasn't sure how to bring up the conversation with him. Brian wasn't even sure if the munchers had already told Gus anything about Kai's new living arrangment. What always bothered Brian about Lindsay and Melanie, is that they often spoke about things in front of Gus when it wasn't always appropriate. Maybe Brian was too protective of Gus? Maybe the three year old was ready to hear and know about things that he felt weren't a child's business?

Things like this made his question his parenting abilities. And nothing felt worse than that.

Entering the parking garage, Brian takes a deep breath and gets ready to start the day.

Meanwhile, inside the apartment building, Justin starts making breakfast, grateful that at least his brother wasn't running on his toes. "Hey, Kai? How does a bagel with cream cheese sound to you?" He pulls out a bagel from a brown bag by the toaster oven, and watches as Kai continues to run around the sofa. "Kai?" He walks over, standing directly in his brother's way.

Kai nearly crashes into him, but stops before the collision occurs. The bagel is placed in front of his face. "Bagel?" Justin asks.

Kai pushes the bagel away and runs past him to the window.

"No bagel?" Justin stands up and walks back to the kitchen deciding to take pictures later today of all the different food choices. It would be easier than pulling out food items from cabinets and the fridge.

Sipping on his coffee, he was feeling better as the caffiene pulsed through his veins. "Maybe some fruit in yogurt then?" It did seem like a healthier choice, and Justin wanted his brother to be attentive during the testing this morning. Glancing over at Kai, Justin watches as his brother sways in front of his window.

He smiles softly, "At least he's not running anymore." It was always about looking on the bright side of things.