Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

"Brian!" Justin calls out as he enters the loft. The blond smiles as he watches Kai walk inside as if he owns the place, going directly to his favorite spot: the large window.

Putting down Kai's suitcase, he calls out again, "Bri?"

"Right behind you," the older man says as he stops the loft door from closing. "You got the elevator before me. I had to take the fuckin' stairs." He gestures to the pizza box he is carrying from the pizza shop across the street by their favorite deli.

"Pizza!" Justin exclaims with a surprise, but then the delicious aroma of his favorite sandwich, "Wait, is that a slow cooker rueben sandwich?"

Putting the pizza box on the counter, Brian lifts up his now free arm to show the plastic bag with the deli logo on it. "Kiss of death for you and a salad for me."

The blond laugh, "It's delicious."

"I don't know how you can eat that much sauerkraut, just looking at it makes me want to hurl."

Ignoring his lover's comment, Justin takes the bag and pulls out his warm, reuben sandwich and Brian's chicken parmesean salad. "You aren't expecting Kai to eat a medium pizza, are you?"

"No," Brian replies, walking over to lightly kiss Justin's lips, "but I figured you'd eat the rest tomorrow for breakfast."

Justin grins: Brian knew him so well. Pizza for breakfast was better than egg omeletes anyday.

"Hey, Kai," Brian says as he strides over to the window, patting the toddler's head and bending down to face-level. "How's the street looking today?"

Kai begins to sway from side to side, smiling happily.

"That good, huh?" Brian acknowledges with a smile, "I'm going to help your brother set the table." He pats Kai lightly on the back and returns to the kitchen as Justin brings down the plates.

Kai turns to the noise from the kitchen and tip toes his away across the wooden floor.

"That's new," Justin comments as he watches his brother up on his toes.

Brian shrugs, "Maybe he wants his shoes off?"

"Kai? Shoes off?" Justin hands Brian the glasses to put on the table and walks over to his brother, repeating, "Shoes off?"

Reaching Kai, he taps on the toddler's running shoes with his finger tips, "Off?"

Kai stares at his shoes and Justin taps them again, "Shoes off?"

Reaching down, the blond two-year touches the tops of his shoes, which makes Justin laugh, "Shoes, Kai. Those are your shoes. Shoes off?"He helps his brother sit down on the floor and pulls each shoe off as he says, "Shoe off! Shoe off!"

Kai laughs, kicking his feet in the air as he watches his bright red socks move rapidly in front of his face.

"Cool socks, dude." Justin comments, "Let's go wash our hands and go eat." Taking Kai's hand, he pulls him up to his feet and walks him over to the sink. "He's still doing it," Justin says to Brian, meaning that Kai was still on his toes.

Brian shrugs again, "Maybe he has a blister on his foot?" He tries to remember if Gus had ever walked on his toes. "Or maybe he's trying to dance."

Justin frowns, "It looks weird."

"He's two. Two year olds do weird things all the time. So do college students."

"Shut up," the blond smiles at Brian. Turning on the faucet, he helps Kai stand on the stepping stool they always use for Gus when he is over. "Wash hands, Buddy."

Brian finishes setting the table and the two Taylors meet him in the dining room.

"Look, Kai, Pizza!" Justin helps Kai sit in his chair. Looking over at Brian, the older blond smiles at his partner's thoughtful gesture to bringing a pizza home for the two-year old.

Sitting down beside him, Justin can't help but continue to smile as he sits down, facing Brian and sitting to the right of Kai.

"Happy?" Brian asks, though he already knows the answer.

"Yes."

"Good."

"Are you happy?" Justin asks, trying to meet the same casual tone as his partner's.

"Yes."

Relief floods his entire body as Justin nods his head and picks up his sandwich. "I love this thing." He reaches for the extra thousand island dressing Brian had left by his plate.

"God help us all."

Laughing, Justin comments, "You haven't even tried it, Brian."

"Because I value my heart valves."

"Whatever." Justin takes a bite and moans in appreciation, grinning at Brian as the older man rolls his eyes.

"This is, like, the greatest invention ever: sauerkraut, brisket, cheese, thousand island dressing..."

"Yes, and normal people enjoy it without the added mayonnaise, mustard, pickles and yellow peppers you always request inside of it."

"Normal people don't know what they are missing." He takes another bite. "How's your chicken salad?"

"Good." Actually, it was delicious. The deli across from their loft was a lifesaver from the greasy food and so-called salads that Liberty diner offered. He wished Debbie would serve this particular salad instead of a choice of House or Cesar salad.

They both look over at Kai, who is almost done with his slice of cheese pizza.

"Wow, you must've been hungry," Justin comments to his brother as Kai stops at the crust and lets the bread drop onto his plate.

"Drink?" Justin asks as he signs the word. Picking up a pitcher of water, he asks, "Water?"

Kai looks over at the clear pitcher of water and reaches for it.

"Water?" Justin signs, making no movements to pour it into his cup.

Picking up his cup, Kai brings it to his mouth, stops, and peers inside of it.

"It's empty, Kai." Justin comments.

Standing up, Brian walks over to Kai and helps him sign, "drink," as he says, "drink."

Justin praises Kai, "Drink!" and immediately pours a small amount of water into the cup.

Kai smiles, bringing the cup to his mouth and drinking the entire amount of water inside.

"Good thing he can use a cup by himself," Justin states to Brian, "I wouldn't know how to teach him if he only used those stupid sippy cups."

Brian nods, reaching over and dropping another slice on pizza on Kai's plate.

Justin opens his mouth to say something, but then stops himself and instead takes another bite of his sandwich.

Knowing immediately what his partner was going to say, Brian returns to his own chair and says, "I don't know the sign for pizza."

Justin smiles, "Me neither. We should pick up a book of food signs."

"Besides, it's going to be hard for all of us to eat at the same time and help him sign what he wants."

Justin nods his head, "I guess we need to think up a game plan."

Shrugging, Brian takes another bite of his salad, "You took pictures of your car and places you want to take him to, right?"

Justin nods.

"Is that working for him?"

"I haven't really done it with him yet."

He shrugs again, "Maybe we can take some picture of food so if he wants it, he can just hand us a picture."

"And then we show him the sign while we say the word?" Justin asks, wondering if this was going to be harder than he thought. "Maybe we should get a smaller table so one of us can always reach his hands."

Brian frowns. He liked his table. It held a lot of really nice memories, many of them including a paticular blond he was presently conversing with.

"Or we can try the pictures," Justin says with a smile.

"Never hurts," Brian replies with a shrug. Finishing his salad, he takes a sip of water. "When do you think Kai will notice the new room?"

Justin glances in the direction of the kids' room. "I don't know. That damn window is too distracting."

Brian chuckles, "He enjoys the view. I can't blame him. It's a fuckin' nice view, especially at night."

Justin can't argue with that. Sighing, he finishes his sandwich and wonders what their night will hold.