Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

Oops. I didn't cut and paste the whole document... sorry! Here is the completed chapter.

Checking the loft one last time, Brian sits down and relaxes on the sofa. He tried not to think about Melanie and her lack of faith in not only his relationship with Justin, but their commitment to Kai. He tried to think about how this may affect Gus, and how he didn't think it would but now maybe... just maybe he should've spoken to him. Brian tries not to think about a lot of things, and instead enjoys the momentary silence that would be ending in about an hour.

Meanwhile, sitting in front of Craig's house, Justin stares at the papers in his hands, wondering how his life will be changed forever. The thought terrified him, and he wondered if this was the same feeling parents had when they were close to bringing their child home for the first time. Of course Kai wasn't his child. He was his brother. But the excitement, the anxiety, the unknown... it was all there, gnawing in his gut and beating rapidly in his heart.

Opening the door, Justin slowly walks towards the house, wondering if Kai was ready for him. Outside it's quiet and Justin wonders if Craig's neighborhood has children within the community, because he has never noticed any before.

Knocking the door, it takes only a few seconds before Craig opens it, "Hey, come on in," the older man greets, barely looking at Justin and instead at the two different ties in his hands.

Justin wonders, as he closes the door behind him, if his estranged father was going to ask him his opinion on what tie to wear. Of course, Craig doesn't, and begins to put the dark gray on. "Do you have the paper?"

Justin nods, handing the temporary guardianship form to him along with another form attached, "It's signed, and I've added a contingency."

Frowning, Craig stops himself from putting the paper down and instead looks at it. "A contingency?"

"It's a notice letting you know that I'm seeking full custody of Kai." Justin explains, his voice steady and calm. He was proud at how calm he was. Inside he simply wanted to shake the older man until something snapped. 

"Really," Craig appears to read the form carefully, "And you are expecting financial support... from me?"

"No." Justin bites his tongue to keep from saying more.

"The state then, right?" Craig looks up and smirks, "Finding a way to make the system work for you."

Justin smirks back, "If I need state support, I'll ask the state for it, not you. But currently I think we'll be fine."

Craig doesn't say anything and instead hands the paper back to his estranged son.

"You can keep it," Justin says, "that's your own copy letting you know that the petition has been filed and that the court will notify us within 45 days when our court date is."

Craig shakes his head, a smile of near-amusement on his face, "You think you can take care of Kai?"

"I think I can give him a loving home to live in with people who care about it and will do everything they can to make sure he gets the services he needs, and support him to reach his fullest potential."

"You and that Brian."

Justin doesn't say anything. Paul had instructed him to say as little as possible in case Craig decided to use anything against him, though Justin was pretty sure Craig was more concerned about what this would cost him.

Craig turns to the light tapping sound by the stairs to see Kai sitting on one of the higher steps, tapping a wooden train against the railing.

Justin smiles, "Hey, Buddy!"

The youngest toddler looks over at him and grins, maintaining eye contact for a few seconds before running back up the stairs.

Justin chuckles, turning his attention back to Craig, who doesn't seem impressed or amused at Kai's eye contact or observation that Justin is there. "So is everything packed?"

Craig nods, gesturing towards the suitcase by the front door and then tossing the papers on the table. Walking over to the kitchen, Craig states, "I should be back within a week, give or take a few days. I'll call you when I know the specific date."

"Good to know," the blond nods as he heads up the stairs to retrieve his brother. "Come on, Kai!"

Reaching Kai's bedroom, Justin knocks and opens the door, "Kai?" He finds the toddler sitting on the floor holding his train in one hand, his eyes fixated on the wheels.

"You ready to go, Buddy?" Walking over, he kneels down and blocks the train with his hand.

Kai looks over at Justin's hand, smiling softly as his brother slowly begins to move his fingers back and forth. Following Justin's fingertips, Kai's gaze finally reaches his brother's face.

"Hi!" Justin greets.

Kai smiles, then returns to looking at his train.

"I'm going to put your bag in the car and then I'll be right back." Getting up, Justin heads over to the door, stopping when he notices he is being followed.

"You want to follow me?" Justin asks his brother, who is looking down at his feet. "Cool, come on."

The two Taylors make there way down the stairs and Justin explains each action to him as he picks up the bag, opens the door and walks over to the jeep. Kai shuffles behind him, occasionally smiling and other times looking at the trees swaying from the wind.

"Looks like it might rain again," Justin comments, taking Kai's hand and leading him back inside the house.

"Okay, Craig, we're going." Justin calls out, he sees Craig talking on his cell phone in the kitchen. The older man turns towards them and waves at them in a dismissive manner. Justin rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

Kai tugs at his brother's hand.

"Yeah, you're right, Kai," Justin says as he looks down at the blond head, "it's time to go."

Walking out of Craig's house, Justin closes the door behind him. "Let's go home."