Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

sorry for the delay in posting this chapter. My computer caught a virus... it was a bad one!

 

Rubbing his face in his hands, Brian wishes he had listened to the nurse and stayed home today instead of coming to the office.

"You broke up with Justin?!" Michael storms into Brian's office in a huff.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Brian asks, trying to maintain his casual demeanor when in fact all he wants to do is curl into the fetal position in the bathroom.

"Is that why you went to Ibiza? To cool off? What the fuck happened?" He presses on.

"Michael, I have a meeting... you have to go." Closing his eyes, he sits down at his desk, hoping that the floor would stop feeling like a tilt-ride.

"Justin won't tell me anything!" Michael continues, refusing to let up.

"There is nothing to tell... you have to go." Yes, he was pretty sure he was going to be sick soon.

"Brian!"

"Cynthia!" Brian shouts, hoping he doesn't sound as desperate as he feels.

"You can't kick me out!" Michael yells angerily. "Brian, what is going on?!"

"Michael, I have a meeting, you have to leave now" Forcing himself to stand up, he walks towards the door.

"Fine," Michael states, "but this isn't over." and storms off in a huff.

Cynthia is about to say something to her boss when he slams the door shut in front of her."Nevermind then," she says under her breath and returns to her desk.

***************************

"Shouldn't you be in class?" Daphne asks as she enters her apartment, tossing her backpack on the floor.

"I told the professor I had the flu." Justin calls out from behind the computer.

"What are you doing?" She asks, walking over to the desk.

"Well after going to the library and finding a shitload of books on sign language for babies and toddlers, I went online and found so much more information about speech delays."

She chuckles, "Don't you think you might be going a little overboard?"

"Don't you think Craig should be trying to get my brother to talk?" He retorts.

"Maybe he is," she says with a shrug, "It's not like you've ever spoken to him since... like... ever."

"Two years, Daphne."

"Whatever."

"I'm still pissed that he didn't tell me." Justin comments as he hits print on the computer.

"You guys haven't spoken in two years, I can't really see him picking up the phone to say 'by the way...'"

Shrugging, he comments, "It still sucks. And you know what? He acted like I already knew I had a brother... like I'm psychic or some shit like that."

She sighs, "He probably assumed your mother told you, and your mom assumed you would never need to know."

"Assumptions are shit."

"No shit?"

"Shut up," he laughs.

"What are you printing now?" She asks, taking the paper from him.

"They have an Early Intervention Program for children from birth to age three with developmental delays right here in Pittsburg. I printed off their contact information for Craig. I figure they can help give my brother some speech therapy if he needs it." Justin explains.

"Wow, you're really going above and beyond here." She comments, "Craig asked you to babysit your brother, not be his advocate."

Looking over at his best friend, Justin replies, "Well someone has to be."

 

*****************

Entering the loft, Michael sits on the sofa and waits. He decides that he will wait all night if he has to. Glancing over at the phone, he notices that the message light is blinking.

He hesitates.

He pauses.

He looks around.

He pushes the button.

A voice begins to speak, “Hello, Mr. Kinney, this is Dr. Rabinowitz from the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center. I’d like to discuss your post-surgery options. So please give me a call at 410-555-4832.”