Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

"I'm actually having fun," Justin says out loud suddenly, breaking the silence as the two men sit in Brian's new car.

Their seats reclined as far back as they can go, the roof opened, both the blond and the brunette had just spent several minutes in comfortable silence staring out into the night sky.

"You sound surprised," Brian scoffs, still staring out in the darkness.

Justin shrugs, "I don't know. I guess I didn't think lying in a car, doing nothing, would be fun. But it kinda is."

Brian pulls out a ciggerate. "We can drive some more."

Laughing, Justin takes Brian's lighted ciggeratte out of his lover's hand and brings it to his own lips, "That's okay, one heart attack is enough for me, thanks."

Brian shakes his head, "Taylor," he admonishes, "you disappoint me."

"Whatever."

Taking back his ciggerate, Brian takes a deep breath and stares out in the sky, "So what are you waiting for?"

Turning away from the night, Justin looks over at his partner, "Huh?"

"Come on, I know you're dying to tell me about all these fuckin' stars and Orion's belt and shit like that." Brian says with mock boredom.

The blond starts to laugh, "Seriously?" He couldn't imagine, in a million years, ever sitting in a porshe with Brian, showing him the stars in the sky.

"Just go for it before I change my mind, Sunshine."

Smiling, Justin looks up at the numerous stars in the sky. "Um.. okay," pointing to a scattered group, he states, "Well that's Leo minor... and that one over there is...um, Zeus's sword?"

Brian starts to laugh, "You don't know shit about astronomy, do you?"

"And you do?" Justin counters with an amused grin.

"Listen and learn, young padawan." The brunette teases as he points to the sky, "That one, right there, is not Leo Minor. That's the lynx."

"The lynx?"

"Did I stutter?" He waits for a second before continuing, "And rhat isn't Zeus' sword...fuck, did Zeus even use a sword?"

"How the fuck should I know?" Justin asks sweetly.

"That's Volans.. also known as the Flying fish. See how it looks like a fish?"

"Not really." Justin replies, "It looks like a group of...oh, I get it, a school of fish, right." He smiles, proud of himself.

Brian chuckles, shaking his head, "And you call yourself a Romantic."

"Who the fuck names a star a school of fish?"

"It's March, Justin.. pisces, remember?"

"Not very creative."

"They were sailors, Sunshine, not artists like you." Brian replies with a smirk.

"Thank God for that." Turning to his side, he smiles at his partner, "Did you take astronomy in high school?"

"You think I would remember that shit if I did?" Brian asks with a soft smile.

Shrugging, Justin tries to lean in a little closer, "Thanks for the night, Brian."

"It's not over yet."

"Well, it's what I needed, so thanks." Justin continues, he tries to lean in gracefully to kiss Brian, but it turns into a clumsy manuever. "I think this would work better outside your car."

Brian scoffs at that idea, "Yeah, if you want to be eaten by wolves."

Justin laughs, "There aren't any wolves in Pittsburgh, Brian!"

Brian puts his seat upright and looks outside calmly, "You want to test that, Sunshine?"

Sitting up in his own seat, Justin looks outside at the darkness. "Let's go home."

Smiling, Brian looks over at the blond, "You don't want to go for a walk?"

"Just drive, Brian."

Trying not to laugh, Brian restarts the engine and drives back to the main road. Taking Justin's hand in his, the brunette rests it on his thigh. "Sure you want to go home?"

Smiling softly, Justin rests his head back, "Did you have another plan in mind?"

He shrugs, "Not really." He didn't want to admit to the blond that he was tired. His doctor had warned him that it would take some time for his stamina to return. He couldn't believe he was already feeling the effects of the day and ready to put his head on his pillow.

"Then let's go home." Justin closes his eyes briefly, feeling the day's stresses melt away. "I'll be happy just lying in bed."

"Getting old?" Brian teases.

"Never as old as you," Justin retorts with his trademark smile.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you to mind your elders?"

Justin shrugs, "I guess I've never been properly disciplined."

Brian smiles, glad that after all this time, Justin's humor has never died down. "I'll have to take care of that sometime."

"I'll be waiting."

Still smiling, Brian knows he's telling the truth.

Minutes later, the silence in the porsche makes the brunette think that Justin is asleep. He is about to turn on the radio when the blond speaks up, "Brian?"

"I thought you were asleep."

"I was thinking."

"Did it hurt?"

"Shut up." Smiling, he shakes his head: the man was incorrigible. "Do you want to hear it or not?"

"I'm dying to know." Brian replies dryly, though in reality he did want to know.

"It's about Kai."

"Did something happen at Craig's?" Brian can feel the heat start to boil in his blood at the thought.

"Besides the paper? No. I was just thinking... and I guess I should have talked to you about it before... and..." Justin trails off.

"Cliff Notes, Sunshine."

Justin sighs, "It's just... Craig is going to give me temporary guardianship of my brother while he's out of town and... well... I think... well, I know I mean... it'll be good for Kai, and... I..."

"Justin, you're killing me here...." Brian pulls into the garage to check for any availability in the visitor's section.

"I want for Kai to spend more time with us." Justin says quickly. Sighing, he continues, "And I know WE have some issues to deal with between us... and then adding a kid to the mix..."

"We don't have issues," Brian retorts with disgust.

"You don't think so?" Justin asks, surprised.

"You do?"

"Well, I mean, you had cancer and instead of telling me you broke up with me." Justin reminds him.

Finding a spot, Brian pulls in, "That's history, Justin. Why are you still bringing that up?"

"Are you happy with us?" Justin asks.

"Are you?" He counters.

"Yes."

"So am I." Brian says, finally looking at Justin.

Grinning, the blond asks, "Really?"

"Shit, have you always been this needy?" Brian teases, pretending to be completely put off when Justin wraps his arms around his neck.

"I love you," Justin whispers.

"Let's go inside already, you're making my porsche nauseas." Brian comments as he unlocks the doors, "So what does this have to do with Kai again?"

Getting out of the car, Justin takes Brian's hand and the two men walk towards the elevator, "I want to spend more time with him... I think... no, I know, that I want to fight for joint custody of him with Craig."

"Just joint?"

Justin stops and turns to look at his partner, surprised, "What?"

"You really want to share your brother with a selfish asshole like Craig?" Brian asks, continuing to walk.

Justin keeps up, "Well, not really, but..."

"But what?" Brian asks, pressing the button for the elevator. "We both know Kai would be better here with us."

With us. Justin wonders if his jaw actually hit the ground.

"What?" Brian asks, looking at Justin's shocked expression.

"You really mean that?" Justin asks.

Brian nods, "Would I say it if I didn't?"