Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian absently nodded his head as the saleman raved on and on about the black porshe the brunette had chosen.

Brian had stopped listening about an hour ago and instead found himself signing form after form after form. He hadn't expected this purchase to take so long.

Well, maybe he did. But he had hoped it would take his mind of Justin. It didn't.

This purchase was not a mid-life crisis. This was not boyfriend therapy. This purchase had no attachments to it other than it was a black porsche that Brian Kinney looked absolutely hot in.

With a sigh, he wonders how pissed Justin is right now.

Meanwhile, miles away in the loft, Justin is also sighing. He's sighing as he watches Kai sway side to side in front of the large window.

At least the toddler wasn't crying anymore.

Justin felt like the world's worst brother when he parked the jeep in the parking lot. Kai took one look around and starting to scream and kick his legs. It was then when Justin realized that his brother had expected to go to his day care center.

Justin had to carry the screaming toddler, along with Kai's duffle bag full, through the lot: avoiding the judgmental stares from those going to or leaving their cars.

Thankfully, no one felt brave enough to enter the elevator with them.

Kai had calmed down once the elevator started moving, but starting to cry once again when the doors opened.

Justin carried him inside the loft and in desperation, plopped him on the floor in front of his favorite window. Kai stopped sobbing long enough to notice where he was...

And now, five full minutes later, Kai was still enjoying his perch.

Sitting down on sofa, Justin watches his brother. He didn't feel frustrated anymore; not at Kai anyways.

It felt frustrated with the situation. Justin felt as if his own brother was lost in this world. How could he help him find his way through this maze of schedules and changes in routine, and figuring out that there were other things besides windows, sliding doors and elevators to enjoy?

Maybe through pictures? Justin walked over to his digital camera and pondered. Perhaps he could start taking pictures of places Kai often went to, such as the day care center, the loft, Craig's home, and a couple of nearby parks? That way, Justin could show Kai where they would be going to, and then Kai wouldn't become upset if they arrived somewhere he hadn't expected.

Looking at his watch, he wonders what time Brian would be home.

Justin walks back to the door and aims the camera towards the main room of the house: the area Kai would first see upon entering. He smiles, "I think this is gonna help us, Kai," he calls out to his brother.

Kai presses his face against the window, seemingly oblivious to his brother's voice.

"Kai?" Justin walks over to the two-year old. "Watching the cars?" Squating down beside him, the older blond taps his brother on the shoulder, "Do you see cars?"

Kai quickly turns the opposite way with a smile on his face and starts to run.

Justin watches as Kai runs around the sofa, stops in front of the window, then repeats the sequence two more times. By the third time Justin jumps in front of him, "Let's play something else," he suggests. Taking Kai's hand, he guides him to the area that will soon become Gus and Kai's room. Justin had already ordered the glass-like dividers with wooden frames to create the space. The items should be arriving by Monday.

"Remember the mailbox?" Justin asks, tapping the box. "Open?"

Kai opens the pretend mailbox.

"Look!" Justin gestures to the plastic envelopes but Kai has already strarted to run back to the sofa to repeat his previous sequence.

Sighing, Justin wonders if Brian will be home by dinner time. Standing back up, Justin calls, "Kai, come back!"

He grabs his brother before he makes it to the window. "Gotcha!!" Swinging Kai in the air, he laughs when he hears Kai's squeals from delight.

Returning to the mailbox, Justin guides his brother's hands through the opening. "Take out," he instructs. Immediately Justin opens the opposing side and sticks his own hand in there, catching Kai's.

Kai's mouth opens in surprise and Justin bends forward to look through the opening, "Peek a boo!"

The two year old shrieks happily and runs away, only to return to the mailbox seconds later to look through the opening.

Justin laughs, peeking through, "Peek-a-boo, Kai."

Laughing, Kai runs away and returns seconds later. Justin wonders who will tire of the game first.

After several minutes, Justin realizes he's ready to try something knew. "Okay, Kai, my cheeks are starting to hurt here. Let's do something else." Lying on his stomach, he notices the roller on the side and pushes it. "Hey, it spins... look, one, two, three..."

Kai lies down on his stomach and watches the roller spin.

Justin smiles, turning to look at Kai, "Wanna count?" He stops the roller, "See, this is One."

"Ah!!" Kai argues, hitting the roller to make it spin again. It starts to spin. Justin stops it, "Look, this is Two."

"Ah!!" Kai screams, grabbing the mailbox with both hands and rolling onto his back, putting the toy on his stomach. He begins to cry when he realizes he can't see the roller in this position.

"Dude," Justin takes the toy from him, "Chill out."

Kai screams again, kicking his feet against the wooden floor.

"We're not just gonna watch this stupid thing spin, Kai," Justin tries to reason, though he's feeling his patience dwindling.

Standing up, Kai reaches for the toy.

"More?" Justin asks, trying to cumbersomely model the sign.

With a sob, Kai falls to the floor.

"Fuckin' hell..." Justin sighs, staring at the ceiling. This was not the kind of Saturday he was hoping for.