Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

so now you found me and you only gotta see
how complementary we could really be
'cuz I was made for you and you were made for me

 

"Kai," Justin calls, walking over to the window where his brother is swaying in front of. Smiling, Justin kneels down, "Cars?" Looking down at the street, he watches the cars drive by for a few moments before tapping his brother on the shoulder, "Come on, let's eat." Justin signs the word "eat," taking Kai's hand and helping him sign the word as well.

Guiding Kai to the table, Justin notices that Brian is already sitting down, his eyes closed.

"You okay?" Justin asks, rubbing his lover's back.

Forcing a smile, Brian nods, "Yeah," opening his eyes, he looks up at the blond and this time smiles for real as he admits, "I'm just tired of being tired."

Justin gives a sympathetic smile, leaning down to lightly kiss Brian's lips. "Maybe Dr. Justin can help you out later?"

Chuckling, Brian wishes it were true, but doubts he'll have any energy for anything the blond has in his mind, so instead he changes the subject, "So what are you forcing me to eat now?"

Making sure Kai is secure in the booster seat they had kept for when Gus used to need one during meal visits, Justin goes to the kitchen to retrieve the bag, "How about a croissant? I can add some butter to it."

Shaking his head, Brian comments, "No butter. A croissant is fine."

Justin nods, placing the croissant on Brian's plate and pouring him some juice.

Kai picks up his empty glass and brings it to his lips.

"Drink?" Justin asks, holding up the juice. He waits until Kai notices that his cup is empty before asking again, "Drink?" Justin signs the word when Kai finally looks up in his direction.

Lifting up the cup, Kai tries to give it to his brother, but Justin doesn't make any effort to take the cup from Kai's hand. Instead, he asks, "What do you want? Drink?" Signing the last word again.

Kai takes Brian's hand and puts his cup in it. He pulls on Brian's hand (now holding the cup) in Justin's direction.

Brian smiles softly, "Sorry, Kai. I'm with your brother on this one."

Undeterred, Kai tries to push Brian's hand again towards Justin. Brian hands the cup back to the toddler, "Show him," Brian suggests to the toddler, signing the word 'drink' as Kai watches him.

Kai tosses the cup on the floor and shrieks in frustration.

"No throw, Kai," Justin states, walking to the other side of the table and picking the cup up. He stands in front of Kai and takes his hand, helping him sign the word 'drink.' "Drink," he says. "Oh, Kai wants drink. Okay." Justin picks up the guava juice and orange juice, "Which one?"

Brian chuckles to himself, "You're relentless, you know that, right?"

Ignoring his partner, he shows Kai each carton, "Guava or orange?"

Cup in hand, Kai reaches for the guava juice.

"Good choice," Brian states, patting Kai on the back. Kai smiles as he watches Justin pour the juice into his cup, handing it back to him.

"You didn't put a top over it," Brian notices. Lindsay always gave Gus sippy cups, so they always had one or two in the kitchen. Justin however, had left the top in the cabinet.

Justin nods, "I read that sippy cups keep the tongue down and doesn't help stimulate the mouth muscles." He watches as Kai carefully drinks the juice in the cup, adding, "Besides, I only put a bit in. That way, he has to ask me for more."

Drinking his own juice, Brian doesn't say anything, but inside he finds himself impressed by Justin's determination to help Kai communicate.

Pouring himself some orange juice, Justin finally sits down at the table and pulls off a piece of danish. "What time do we have to go to the hospital?"

"One." Brian answers, annoyed that the day has to start with such an undesirable question.

"Perfect. We'll drop you off at one, then I'll take Kai back to Craig's. Craig should be home by then. Then I'll drive back and pick you up."

"Sounds like you're the perfect chauffeur."

"Yeah, I'm hot too, in case you didn't notice," Justin replies with a smirk.

"Actually, I did." Brian replies, tongue in cheek. "And as much as I would love to molest my hot chauffeur," he begins and then confesses with a sigh, "I don't think I have the energy."He looks away for a moment, not wanting to see Justin's reaction.

Reaching across the table, Justin takes Brian's hand in his, "Brian, look at me." He waits until Brian finally meets his eyes. "I don't care about that." Smiling, he adds, "I just want to be with you. I don't care if we watch tv, lie in bed or fuckin' quilt: I just want to be with you."

Brian forces a smile, turning Justin's hand palm up and tracing his fingers along each ridge. "I have a confession to make, Justin."

"What?" Justin asks, trying to quell his nervousness. Was it about Brian's cancer?

Looking back up at Justin, Brian accedes, "I don't quilt."

Justin opens his mouth, then closes it again before smirking, "Jackass."

The mood changes when Kai starts to bang on the table.

"Hey!" Justin states, "What's the deal?"

"Ah!" Kai argues, banging the table again and kicking his feet.

"I think he wants to get down," Brian suggests as he watches Kai's feet attempt to knock the chair down.

"Well that's a totally shitty way to do it," the blond comments to his lover. Walking over to Kai, he moves the chair around to face him and touches the buckle. "Open?"

Kai angerily pulls at the belt over his lap, "Ah!"

Justin signs the word again, saying, "Open."

"Ah!" Kai pulls at the belt and then reaches over to his brother, hitting his hand.

"Not hit," Justin says firmly, and then shows his brother how to sign the word, saying, "Open." He waits a few seconds and then says, "Your turn, Kai. Open."

The two year old pulls at the belt again and starts to cry. Justin sighs, watching his brother crumble in front of him. Glancing over at Brian, he comments, "I'm feeling like a complete shithead over here."

Brian smiles, "Don't give up, Sunshine. He'll get it." Turning his body around so he's directly behind Kai, Brian gently nudges the toddler's wrists up.

Kai brings both hands together, palms touching.

"Open," Justin shows him how to sign the word again, putting his palms together and then spreading them open like an imaginary book.

Brian lightly touches Kai's fingers and the toddler immediately opens his hands up.

"Open!" Justin almost screams in excitement. Quickly unbuckling the belt, Justin lifts his brother up, "Open! Open!" He can't believe it happened. Kai finally signed the word. It didn't matter that Brian helped him do it, all that mattered was that Kai was finally starting to make the connection.

Kai flings himself towards the floor and Justin puts him down, laughing, "Too much for you? Sorry." He watches as Kai runs off, circling the couch before returning to the window.

Justin wraps his arms around Brian, "Holy fuck, he signed, did you see that?!"

Brian kisses his partner, "I told you he'd get it."

"I never doubted him." Looking back at Kai, he calls out, "Dude, you rock!"

Kai presses his face against the window and hums.

Still smiling, Justin kisses Brian again. "I love you."

Smiling back, Brian nods, agreeing, "That's me, Mr. Lovable."

The door knocks before Justin can say anything to his comment.

"That's probably one of my adoring fans now," Brian states with authority, sitting back down on the chair to finish his juice. He didn't want to admit it, but he was feeling rather dehydrated this morning.

"Well allow me then," Justin replies as he walks over to the door and opens it. "Hey, Michael." Justin isn't the least bit surprised to see the brunette.

Michael however, is surprised to see the blond. "Justin! You're back!" He surprises himself by pulling Justin into a hug. "Where's Brian?" he asks.

"Right here," Brian waves, not bothering to get up.

Michael turns back to Justin, whispering, "Did he..."

Brian calls out again, "I said I'm right here! And yes, Justin knows." He hates the idea that anyone would think he would keep this from Justin now that the man was back in his life.

"Well it's about time," Michael states, wanting to be angry at Brian for not telling him sooner about the reunion, but glad that Justin is there with him. "So I guess this means you don't need a ride today?"

"Nope." Brian replies, finishing his drink and leaning back on the chair.

"Do you want to stay for breakfast?" Justin asks, hoping that Michael will decline.

"No, that's okay. I'm actually on my way to do some errands. Hey, did you get my messages about California?"

Justin nods, "Yeah, that sucks that the movie is being pushed back for another year, but I guess that's Hollywood."

Michael shrugs, "Ben says everything happens for a reason."

"Ben is very zen," Brian comments with a nod.

Justin rolls his eyes, as Brian continues with a wave of his hand, "Serenity comes when you trade expectations for acceptance."

"Jung?" Justin asks.

"Fortune cookie." Brian answers.

Michael frowns, "Sure."

Smiling, Justin opens the door for Michael, "Thanks for stopping by and checking up on him, Michael. You're a good friend."

"I'll call you later, Brian," Michael calls out and Brian waves. 

He's about to close the door when he hears, "Justin!"

"Lindsay, Melanie...and Gus!" Justin greets with a broad smile, "What are you doing here?"

Melanie holds up a bag, "Gus' idea."

"Breakfast!" Lindsay announces.

"We already ate," Brian calls out when he hears Lindsay's voice. Gus runs in the loft. "Hey, Sonnyboy," Brian greets, extending his arms as his son runs over to him for a hug. "It's good to see you."

Melanie puts the bag down, "So, Justin, you're back now?"

Justin smiles, nodding, "I'm back."

"Who's that?" Three-year-old Gus asks, pointing to Kai who has his back to them as he continues to stare out the window.

Justin walks over to Kai, "This is my brother, Kai." He gently nudges Kai's shoulder, causing the toddler to turn in Gus' direction. "Kai, this is Gus."

Kai turns back to the window and presses his face against the glass, humming again.

Gus frowns, "What's he doing?"

Justin isn't sure, but says, "I think he's pretending to be a motor."

That sounds reasonable to Gus as he turns his attention back to his father, "Let's eat!"