Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

"He's over there," Liz points out, opening the door wider so Justin can step into the classroom. He was glad he had taken Craig's car last night with him rather than wait until this evening. Driving over instead of waiting for the bus to arrive made it much easier to claim his brother.

Justin's eyes land on Kai, who is lying on his back beside the toddler sofa, staring at the ceiling. Even from here, Justin can see his tear-streaked cheeks and swollen eyes.

He walks over to him and gently kneels in front of him, "Kai?"

For a brief moment, Kai looks at him and the toddler's lower lip starts to quiver again. Justin quickly scoops him up in his arms, feeling the tension leave the small body as Kai buries his head into his older brother's neck.

Liz meets them at the door with Kai's back pack. "Get some rest, Kai," she says with a smile, which seems more relieved than anything else. "Thanks, Justin. He seems so much happier with you around."

Justin wants to beam with pride at that remark, but instead feels only anger towards Craig. "Thank, Liz. I'll be around a lot more. Say 'bye' Kai."

Kai doesn't budge from his position, and Justin knows that this isn't the time for a battle. Taking the bag from Liz, he thanks her again and leaves back to Craig's BMW.

"Okay, Kai," Justin begins, "First, we need to get you to go to sleep. You can't function without sleep, Buddy. It makes you a grouch... and you're too cute to be a grouch." He chuckles at his one sided conversation, buckling Kai into his car seat. "Close your eyes, Kai."

Closing the door, Justin hurries around to the driver's side and starts the car. Within minutes, Justin can see that his brother has fallen asleep. Smiling, Justin shakes his head. "No toddler can resist a car ride."

Driving back to PIFA, Justin parks the car and pulls out Kai's stroller from the trunk. He hopes his brother doesn't wake up from the movements, but he can't push back another afternoon of not working on his still life project.

Carefully putting Kai in the stroller, he buckles him in and hurries to one of the free studio rooms. Thankfully, he is able to find one rather quickly and parks the stroller a few feet away from his easel. He smiles at his sleeping brother, wishing that he was working on a portrait instead of an object assignment. Pulling out his supplies, he starts to focus on his work.

It isn't until an hour later when Justin hears his brother's squirming that he notices the time. "Hey, Kai!" he greets, glad that he had so much time to complete his task. He just had to make a few finishing touches and then can turn this project in, maybe even this afternoon!

Going to the stroller, he watches Kai struggle to open the buckle.

"Open?" Justin asks, signing the word and then pointing to the buckle before repeating, "Open?"

Kai takes Justin's hand and pushes it against the buckle.

"Do I look like a hammer to you?" Justin asks with a chuckle. "Open," he signs again.

Kai looks up at him with a blank expression.

"Open," Justin repeats with the sign. After several seconds, he takes his brother's hands and helps him sign the word as he says for him, "Open." Unbuckling him, Justin lifts him up and onto the floor. "I got you some crayons," he comments, walking over to his bag. He had bought the children crayons last night on his way home from Craig's house. He had also picked up some construction paper for Kai to draw on.

Setting the materials down a few feet away from his easel, Justin takes Kai's hand and walks him over to the crayons and paper. "Here, Kai, draw." He takes a crayon and shows Kai how to scribble on the sheet before handing the crayon to him.

Kai sits on the floor and starts to scribble. Justin grins, "Nice coloring, Kai," and pats his back before returning to his own work.

After a few minutes, Justin hears someone call his name.

"Justin?"

Looking up, he is more than a little surprised to see Ethan standing there. "Ethan? What are you doing here?"

Ethan walks into the studio, "Visiting my ---" he stops himself for a moment, as if forgetting who he was talking to.

Justin smirks, "Boyfriend?"

With a sheepish grin, Ethan nods, "Yes, William Stokam. He's an art student."

Justin nods. He knew William. William was a pretentious snob who felt that the world was made solely for him alone. Justin found him to be the most annoying man in the planet. "Yes, I know William. You two make a perfect couple."

Ethan seems to pause, unsure how to take that comment, which makes Justin smile.

"You have a brother?" Ethan asks, gesturing towards Kai.

Justin nods, "His name is Kai."

"I didn't know you had a brother," Ethan comments, walking over to the toddler and kneeling in front of him, "Hey, Kai."

Kai immediately runs over to Justin, nearly falling against his leg. Justin scoops him up in his arms, "You being shy?" he asks with amusement. Turning back to Ethan, he shrugs.

Ethan looks at Kai with a confused expression, "What's wrong with him?"

Turning to Kai, Justin sees that the two-year old is looking up at the lights on the ceiling, both hands flapping quickly in front of his eyes as he smiles with intense force. Taking Kai's hands, Justin pushes them down and looks back at Ethan, "Nothing is wrong with him."

Ethan seems to backtrack, "No, I just mean, well, he looks.." he gestures back at Kai, who is now looking at the lights sideways. "Weird. Does he have an eye problem or something?"

Justin has a sudden urge to pick up his easel and hurl it towards his ex-boyfriend. "He is not wierd." If looks could kill, Ethan would be dead.

Ethan nods, "Um, okay. Sorry, I guess I just have jet lag... I was in France..." he stammers, then stops, knowing it's no use. "I should go. William is waiting."

Justin nods, "Good idea."

Clearing his throat, "Nice to see you again..." and with that Ethan leaves.

Justin shakes his head, his whole body feeling hot with rage. Kai pulls his hands out of his brother's grasp and places them against Justin's mouth.

Turning to Kai, Justin frowns, watching as Kai seems to be trying to move his brother's lips into another position. He looks so deep in concentration, that Justin smiles.

Kai suddenly puts his hands down and tilts his head to one side, seemingly satisfied.

"You wanted me to smile?" Justin asks. Kissing his brother's forehead, he comments, "You're a good kid, Kai. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."