Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

"You seem... normal." Cynthia appraises as she walks into Brian's office with a stack of files. When she had arrived an hour earlier, she had found her boss sitting at his desk, without a scowl. She found herself turning around and re-entering the room to make sure she was in the right office. And now, an hour later, Brian still looked... not miserable and angry.

Tongue in cheek, Brian glances up at Cynthia and leans back in his chair, "Should I keep the horns? I shaved them off today: didn't go with my suit."

She shakes her head and hands him the files. "I'm glad you're in a better mood, Brian. I speak for all of us when i say that."

Brian watches her leave and wonders if his mood has really been that terrible the past few days. He shrugs it off, I pay them to work, not to socialize. But he did feel better this morning, and he knew (though he wouldn't admit it aloud) that a lot of it had to do with a small piece of charcoal that was sitting in his pocket. He had purposely scheduled his radiation treatment for early that evening so he could swing by Daphne's in the afternoon to see Justin. He knew his schedule and knew Justin should be there... and if he wasn't... well, maybe he'd stop by the coffee shop across the street and wait... not because he was desperate or anything... no, just because it was a nice place to get something to drink... yeah, that was it.

*****************************************************

Feeling his phone vibrate in his pocket, Justin quickly pulls it out and glances at the number. Alarmed, he sees that it's Kai's daycare.

Quietly excusing himself from class, he takes the call in the hall way, "Hello?"

"Justin Taylor?"

Justin recognizes Liz's voice, "Liz, what's wrong?"

She sighs, "Kai's a mess. His father dropped him off at seven this morning, and he was sobbing then and hasn't stopped since."

Justin's jaw drops, "It's nine o'clock!"

"I know," she agrees, and he can hear the desperation in her voice. "We called Craig at eight and he finally called back a few minutes ago. He told us to call you because he was busy with meetings... he says that Kai barely slept last night so he's probably just tired."

"Well if he isn't, I'm sure two hours of screaming will tire him out." Looking at his watch, he thinks fast on how to salvage his day, "Okay. I'll come and get him. Hopefully he'll fall asleep in the car." That way, Justin sums up, he can put Kai in his stroller and bring him back to PIFA so he can at least get some work done in one of the studios.

"That'll be great, Justin. Thank you." Liz says and her voice means every ounce of it.

"I should be there in half an hour." Saying goodbye, he hangs up and sighs before returning to his classroom to retrieve his belongings.