Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Closing the door behind him, Brian rests his head against the cool frame, grateful for the silence now greeting him in the loft. It wasn't as if Debbie tried to make noises, in fact, she purposely had tried to mute all sounds (going as far as removing her shoes and throwing out her gum), but that only made it worse.

He exhales slowly, not even realizing that he had been holding his breath for so long until his chest burned. Taking a step back, Brian turns towards the kitchen. The silence no longer feeling welcomed. He notices the flashing light and considers for a moment whether or not to listen. It could be Michael, Lindsay, Ted, Melanie...no, definitely not Melanie. Perhaps Emmett? Ben... Cynthia? It could be anyone...but Justin.

Pressing the button, he listens to the drone voice, "You have one new message. Beep." His eyes widen in disbelief when he hears the one voice he never expected, or wanted to expect, to hear on the other end: Justin.

Brian has to listen to the message a second time, because the first go around was spent just listening to the sound of Sunshine's missed voice. Now, he needed to actually pay attention to what the young man was saying.

"Hey, it's me, um..I just wanted to let you know that I'm staying at Daphne's... until I find my own place to live... so... if you find anything of mine, just... just drop it off at Daphne's... or call me... you know, if you find something...that's mine. Okay, that's all, um, hope you're okay, bye."

Brian tries not to smile. He knew he shouldn't smile. But here he was, smiling.

********************************************

"No!" Justin screams, running over to the living room and pulling Kai away from the cord behind the speakers. Kai shrieks, flapping his hands near his face before pushing his brother away.

"No touch, Kai," Justin explains, pointing to the cord, "Not safe." Standing up, he's about to walk back to the kitchen when he senses Kai moving to the speakers again. Justin quickly turns back around, "No, Kai."

Kai continues reaching for the cord, almost touching the outlet before Justin blocks it with his own hand. Why the fuck doesn't Craig have safety covers on these?! "No," Justin replies evenly. He didn't feel comfortable in this role: this sudden 'parenting-like' role. It felt weird to him. But then again, this was all new to him, and probably to Kai as well.

Kai runs off to the table and begins to push his trains into the tunnel.

Justin sighs, wishing he didn't hate those toys so much. "Wouldn't you rather play with something else, Kai? Maybe throw a ball around?" Justin smiles at the image of a ball crashing into Craig's stereo system and breaking everything in it's path.

Getting up, he walks back to the kitchen, "Dinner will be ready soon, Buddy." Turning back around, he smiles at his brother, "Hope you like pasta!"

Kai runs back to the speakers, arms outstretched.

"No!" Justin shouts, surprised at the tone of his own voice.

Dropping to the floor, Kai shrieks in despair and starts to sob: his entire body stiff as he cries out.

Rubbing his eyes, Justin sighs loudly. At least Kai wasn't reaching for the cord. Walking back over to his brother, Justin scoops him up in his arms, "Come on, Kiddo, let's start on some carrots until the noodles are ready."

**********************************************

Brian isn't sure how many times he replayed the message, but it didn't matter since no one would believe him anyway.

Sitting on the sofa, he finds himself actually looking around the loft for something of Justin's. He isn't sure how he should feel when nothing pops out at him. In fact, when it came to Justin's things, it was hard to tell sometimes where his things started and Justin's ended. They shared so many things, that the only articles that belonged to Justin soley would be his clothing, toothbrush and art supplies. Everything else had become fair game on both fronts. Even clothing, at least Brian's clothing, would sometimes appear on Justin's body on lazy Sunday mornings.

What really bothered Brian however, was that instead of deleting the message on his machine, he was instead wondering what he should bring to return to Justin. Why? Kinney are you crazy?!! Justin is happy in his own world right now, away from this shit... he doesn't need this drama.

And what bothered Brian even more, was that even if Justin didn't need to be part of this drama...Brian did. He wanted Justin back in his life. But how? He had kicked him out... told him he wanted a break. They both knew what that meant. He, Brian Kinney, had fucked up.

So now what? Does he go to Justin and tell him the truth? Why? Why do that?

Shaking his head, Brian stares at the phone, reaching to delete the message... and then stops himself. Sighing, Brian realizes, "I am so fucked."

*****************************

"Eat?" Justin asks as he signs the word. Placing the bowl of pasta wheels in front of his younger brother, Justin smiles and repeats the word with sign, "Eat."

Kai closes his eyes and smiles, shaking his head from side to side.

"Happy?" Justin asks, sitting down in front of him with his own bowl of noodles.

Kai makes a happy sound, flapping his hands on either side of his face, his soft blond locks hitting his face.

Justin laughs, clapping his hands, "Yay!" He enjoyed these moments with his brother.

Kai claps and shrieks, causing Justin to laugh harder. The older Taylor shakes his head, "I'm glad you're happy, Kai." He watches his brother pick up a wagon wheel with his finger and push it into his mouth.

"A fork would be cleaner, you know," Justin comments, picking up Kai's fork and bringing it up to Kai's eyes.

Kai takes the fork and puts it back down on the table. He picks up another wheel, not seeming to mind the mess on his fingers.

Justin shrugs, "Suit yourself, it's bath time after this anyways." Leaning back on his chair, the older blond looks behind Kai and out the window into the darkness. He wonders if Craig will be home soon. Thunder can be heard and Justin closes his eyes, "Shit." He didn't have an umbrella with him. Looking back at his brother, he comments, "Hopefully it'll stop raining by the time your dad comes home."

Kai continues to eat, and then reaches for his cup. "Ah!" He can't reach it.

Justin smiles. He put the cup out of his brother's reach on purpose. "Drink?" He asks, signing the word.

Kai stretches his fingers out, trying so hard to touch the cup. "Ah!"

"Drink?" Justin repeats, signing the word again. Taking the cup, he brings it to his own face so Kai can look at him. He repeats, "Drink," and signs it. Taking Kai's hand, he tries to physically prompt him to make the same sign, but it's clumsy and Kai isn't paying attention. "Drink?" He says again, wishing that the words would just come easy for his brother.

"Ah!" Kai argues, reaching for it again.

Justin sighs, trying not to feel discouraged as he hands the cup to his brother, "Drink," he murmurs, wishing that the two year old would just imitate the word.

Kai quickly gulps down the drink and then looks at the now empty cup.

"More?" Justin asks as he signs the word. "More?"

Kai throws the cup at Justin, "Ah!"

"I don't think so, Kai," Justin retorts, putting the cup back in front of his brother. "You want it, you ask."

"Ah!" Kai shrieks, throwing the cup at Justin again.

Picking it up, Justin puts it up to his own face and says, "Want MORE, Kai?"

"Ah!" Kai screams, becoming obviously frustrated. He looks at his hands as Justin takes them and puts them together in front of him as he says, "More."

Justin pours more water into the cup, "More, Kai, here."

Kai smiles and drinks the water. When he finishes, he looks up at Justin, still smiling.

Justin smiles back.