Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Liz smiles, "You're early!" she announces, and from the look of things, Justin is glad he is. The room is in complete chaos as toddlers are running in every direction.

"Shit, is it always this loud?" Justin asks as he watches another adult try to convince one of the toddlers to share a yellow pretend pot with another child that is sobbing loudly.

"Around this time, yeah," she admits with a shrug, "Most of the kids are getting cranky and in need of a nap... nap time starts in twenty minutes."

"Do they all go to sleep then?" Justin asks in disbelief, his eyes finding Kai. He sees his brother standing in front of the window staring at the play ground and banging the glass.

"No banging, Kai," another adult says as she kneals next to the toddler. Kai continues to bang until the woman places her hand on top of his and repeats, "No banging." Kai pulls his hand back and runs off, almost knocking into Justin who sweeps him up in his arms.

"Hey, you!" Justin greets with a smile, kissing Kai on the cheek. Kai reaches towards the floor and Justin asks, "Down? You want Down?"

"Eh!" Kai squirms.

"Down?" Justin asks again.

"Eh!" Kai shrieks louder.

"Down," Justin repeats in a firmer voice before putting his brother down and saying again, "Down." He watches Kai run off towards the toddler sofa, diving on it and rolling down onto the floor. Turning to Liz, he asks, "Is that his perch?"

She laughs and nods, "He likes going to that part of the room a lot."

Going to get Kai's bag, Justin asks, "So will Kai fall asleep when I'm taking him home?"

She shrugs, "He might. Are you going to be picking him up at this time for now on?"

It's Justin's turn to shrug, "Depends on my school schedule. Do I need to give you a set time for pick up?"

"No," Liz walks over to Kai with Justin, "I should give you our schedule though so that you know what we do here."

"That would be great!" Justin exclaims, happy to know that the child care had some sort of structure to it and didn't just let the kids run around like monkeys all day.

"Has your father contacted the county yet?" She asks, hoping not to sound too pushy, but Justin can tell that she really feels he needs the service.

"I'm not sure. I haven't spoken to him yet," Justin answers honestly, "but I'm hoping he called today."Holding out his hand, Justin says, "Time to go, Kai."

Kai reaches out and takes Justin's hand, and Justin wants to suddenly dance in happiness. Who knew such a small gesture could mean so much? Grinning, Justin walks out the door with his brother, "Bye, Liz," he calls out.

"Ever been on a bus, Kai?" Justin asks, hoping that Kai wouldn't freak out... and also hoping that his brother wouldn't fall asleep: because carrying a messenger bag, his art bag, Kai's back pack, and a sleeping toddler was not on his agenda today. "The wheels on the bus go round and round..." Justin starts to sing, watching his brother smile in the corner of his eye.

Stopping at the corner, Justin tightens his grip on his brother's hand. "We have to wait, Kai. Waiting..."

Kai starts to sway from side to side, laughing.

"What's so funny?" Justin asks, swinging his arm so that Kai has to quickly regain his balance. The two year old laughs again, turning his head towards his older brother, looking above his head and to the sky.

"We're waiting for the bus," Justin explains, "Bus. The wheels on the bus go round and round," he starts to sing again. Kai begins to jump up and down until Justin stops singing. "More?" he asks.

Kai begins to sway.

"More?" Justin asks again, and then waits. He counts to himself, willing himself not to ask again. After seven grueling seconds, Justin opens his mouth to ask again, when suddenly Kai vocalizes, "ound."

Justin grins, "Round and round!" he sings the phrase before starting the song again. In his mind, he really hopes that Craig has called the county today.