Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

"Justin," Jennifer begins with a sympathetic smile, "You're twenty years old." She was quite surprised to see her son late this afternoon in her office. Jennifer was grateful that she was in the building and not out with a client showing a house. But as much as she loved receiving surprise visits from her son on a Monday afternoon, she could see in his eyes that something was troubling him. It didn't take long for Justin to share his feelings with her.

"So what?" He asks, knowing what she was getting at.

"I know you want to be there for Kai, but you need your time to be... well, you." Jennifer tries to explain with a smile as she hands her son a glass of water.

"Mom, I know what you're trying to say," he continues, "But Craig drops him off so early and doesn't pick him up until closing time!"

Sitting down on the chair beside him, she touches his arm, "Sweetheart, I admit that when you first told me you were going to be watching Kai last week, I had some reservations. But you were right when you said 'it's not his fault who is father is,' and so I've kept an open mind. I'm sure he is a wonderful boy, and I am sorry to hear that he has been diagnosed with autism... but you're twenty years old, Justin. You can't take that on. You're still a child yourself."

Frowning, Justin pulls his arm back, "I am not a child, Mom."

She laughs softly, "You know what I mean." Seeing that he clearly doesn't, she tries to explain, "You have your whole life ahead you. You have this chance to explore and do all the crazy things college students do. You owe that to yourself, Justin."

"Mom, do you know how many children out there have autism?" Justin asks.

"Honey," Jennifer begins again, only to be interrupted.

"A lot. And one of those children is my brother." Justin stands up, "He was my brother before I found out he had autism, and he's still my brother. I'm not giving up on him like Craig has. Kai is a great kid, but his own parents never gave him a chance!"

"Justin, you aren't his parent. You have no rights to him. I know this is painful, but you can't ---"

"I can, and I will." Justin states. His voice shows not a shred of hesitation. "I'm not going to sit idly by and let Kai spend all day running back and forth in a room with kids that ignore him. He's going to get all the services he needs so he can be tell everyone what he wants, needs... all of it."

"So what are you going to do?" Jennifer asks, knowing that her son's mind was already made up. She was proud of him for standing by his brother, but she was also angry at her ex-husband for not showing Kai the same attention, and for not realizing what an amazing twenty year old son they share together.

"I'm going to talk to Craig. I'm going to make sure he's called The Alliance to start services for Kai. My classes end by one Monday through Friday, I can work on my projects and assignments in one of the studios until three or four, and then go pick up Kai from his day care by 4:30. I'll practice signs with him, and teach him how to play with toys... maybe I can get Craig to buy a toy that they have in the center, so he can practice how to play with it at home.... I'll give him dinner, and then Craig will come home and I'll go home..." seeing his mother's sad eyes, he quickly adds, "And still have time for a social life." Smiling, he sits down beside her again, "See? It's all planned out."

"And if Craig hasn't called The Alliance?" Jennifer asks. She had little faith that her ex-husband would make the effort.

"I called to remind him this morning. I plan on calling again tomorrow. If he hasn't called by Wednesday, I'll threaten to contact child welfare on his ass." Justin replies with an anything-but sweet smile.