Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

Brushing past Ted, Brian lightly pads over to the door, commenting, "We can't keep my public waiting, Theodore."

Blinking, Ted follows Brian with his eyes, his body not registering that he should be moving as well. He wonders, How does Brian do it? How does a man who has had such a difficult start in his life, just never back down? Is life truly a self-fufilling prophecy? Is it how you make it to be? Maybe he should start following Brian's 'fuck them all' attitude and just... just be.

"Ah yes, my fans have arrived," Brian mocks, tongue in cheek, as he opens the door. Emmett, Lindsay and Debbie rush in. Melanie had stayed behind, using Gus as an excuse, even though the babysitter had told them she could stay all day watching him.

Lindsay rushes over to Brian, hugging him as if he were a life preserver and she was being pushed through wild currents.

"Shit, Lindz, I'm fine," Brian manages to say as he tries to push her off of him as gently as possible while still keeping his neck attached to his own body. "Really, they caught it early."

She takes a step back and starts to cry, shaking her head, "I just... you're my Peter Pan..." she cries into her hands and Brian sighs, pulling her back into a hug. He hated these moments. He truly, truly hated them. Kissing her head, he smiles, "I'm still your Peter Pan... I'm having a ball, really."

She lightly punches his arm, "Don't joke about this!"

"Why the fuck not? It's my body." Walking over to the kitchen, he purposely moves behind the counter to put more space between himself and the well meaning guests.

Ted, still glued to the spot on the floor, watches Brian's seamless transition into the other part of the loft and admires his subtle genius. 

Deb places her hands on the counter across from him, "Brian, I know you said you didn't want anyone to know..."

"And I appreciate your willingness to respect that," Brian replies with mock sincereity.

She goes on as if he hasn't said a word, "But this is bigger than you."

Brian shakes his head. "I have cancer and it has nothing to do with me?"

Emmett leans against the counter and takes Deb's hand in his, "I think what Debbie is trying to say, Brian, is that this affects all of us."

Brian laughs coldly, "Oh, did you get a testicle ripped out of you too?" Looking at Debbie, he adds, "I always knew you had balls."

 

********************************

Sitting at a small wooden desk in Craig's bedroom, Justin starts printing off some information about the county's early intervention program, The Alliance. Justin wishes the program provided more details on what they could offer for Kai. But he figures that the contact information and basic summary of the program was enough for now.

Sighing, he hopes his brother continues to nap for another hour as he starts searching on language delays, both receptive and expressive, in toddlers. There was just too much information, Justin didn't know where to start. With another sigh, he knows he'll have to wait and talk to Craig to get more information about his brother.

Kai starts babbling in the other room and Justin smiles at the sound.  Turning off Craig's computer, Justin gets up to leave the older man's bedroom. He wonders why Craig would keep his computer in his room and not create an office with the extra room down the hall. Instead, that room seemed to be used a storage unit filled with boxes and useless objects.

Closing Craig's bedroom door, he remembers noticing that the door was closed when he first arrived as well. Maybe Craig didn't allow Kai in his room? Thinking back, Justin realizes that Kai, since yesterday, has not once walked into father's room. Shaking his head, Justin suddenly feels really sad for his brother. It's one thing to dismiss a seventeen year old, but it's an entirely different offense to ignore a two-year old.

Walking down the hallway, Justin can only feel disgust as he glances up at the white walls. There should be pictures on this wall! It digusted him.

He stops at Kai's door and takes a cleansing breath. Opening the door, he smiles as he sees his brother sitting in his crib, babbling and looking out the window in front of him.

"What do you see, Kai?" Justin asks as he walks closer. Bending forward, he rests his cheek on the railing as he turns to look out the window as well. "The wind is making the leaves move," he explains.

Kai grins, tilting his head to one side as he continues to look out the window.

Brushing his brother's hair back, Justin asks, "Did you have a nice nap?" He wishes Kai would just look at him easily, the way Gus would. He wonders if maybe his brother needs glasses. Maybe he couldn't see well?

Kai claps his hands when the wind picks up. Justin looks back at the window and becomes pretty sure that Kai sees just fine.