Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian approached his office; Cynthia got up from her desk and ran up to him, grabbed him in her arms and kissed his cheek.


“You realize I can file a sexual harassment claim against you.”


“Thank you Brian, for the promotion and the raise; you’ve made me a very wealthy woman.”


“Well, you helped make me a very wealthy man. Are you wearing lipstick?”


“No, there is no evidence on your face; it’s my word against yours for your harassment claim.”


“I hate losing you for my PA.”


“I talked with Kevin and I’m not going anywhere. We’re getting a girl to handle incoming calls. I’ll still be here for you and conduct my duties as CAO. I’m putting the girl right over there under my thumb to train her to cover for me as you PA when I’m not at my desk.”


“Am I overextending you Cyn doing both jobs?”


“For almost $7700 a week salary I can stretch a bit.” The woman smiled and went to answer an incoming call. Brian went to the break room and made a coffee. Soon Ted walked in.


“Good morning Theodore.”


“Good morning Brian; thank you for the raise.”


“We’re making a lot of money; it was time to re-cut the pie.”


“I think Gardner Vance shit on himself when he found out. He was so excited.”


“I hope he can handle the job; I don’t want to have to deal with Kinnetik Junior’s operations.”


“All those small accounts add up and will make you a lot of money over time. It was brilliant to create that department and keep the small accounts.”


“Justin rarely has a bad idea Ted. It was his idea to do it.”


“How does it feel to be a major real estate tycoon with over 3,000 units paying you money each month?”


“Ask me again when it’s 10,000.”


“Kinnetik has the cash to invest; and you two could use the write offs for sure. I’ll work wonders with the depreciations for those properties.”


“I love this country; cash flow, equity growth, depreciations, and increasing revenues when you raise the rents. The tenants pay the bills and pay for the property and we end up owning them free and clear.”


“From an accounting standpoint Brian, you should buy out Jennifer’s half of Les Amis for your best tax position.”


“Put that together and we can make a note for it; Jennifer will still manage it.”


“I’ll get right on it.”


********************


“How you doing Gus?” Justin came to the kindergarten to take a break and check on his son.


“Fine Jussin, what you doing?”


“I just came to check on you and see what you were up to.”


“I don’t know how to sell this castle Jussin.”


“Sometimes two heads are better than one; I’ll send someone who might be able to help you.”


“What do you like about the castle?”


“You can make believe with it; the colors, it’s pretty looking and he has lots of parts and things.”


“Do you think it’s a good boy toy?”


“Kathy likes it too Jussin but she plays the princess when she plays with it.”


“Maybe we can sell it as a toy for boys and girls.” Gus got an idea and ran to the computer to type it on his list of thoughts.


********************


“Kinnetik Advertising, Cynthia speaking.”


“This isn’t a joke. I put a bomb in your building set to go off in about one hour. CLICK!”


“What the fuck is this?” Cynthia hit Brian’s office on the intercom. “Brian I need you now.” Brian ran out of his office to Cynthia’s desk.


“I just got a bomb threat for the building Brian. He said it would go off in one hour. And look at this.” Cynthia turned around her PBX phone machine showing the caller ID for the last incoming call.


“It could be a payphone. I’ll call the police.” Brian went back to his office after writing down the number.


“911, what is the emergency?”


“This is Brian Kinney, owner of Kinnetik Tower or U.S. Steel tower downtown. We just received a bomb threat over the phone.”


“How many floors in your building sir?”


“64 floors, the caller with the threat called from …” Brian gave the police the caller ID number.


“Units and the bomb squad are responding now. Evacuate the building.”


“Ok” Brian got on the intercom.


“Security, we have a bomb threat for the tower. Police are on the way and want us to evacuate the building.”


“The best way to do this sir is to do a standard fire drill. How much time do we have?”


“One hour”


“I’ll leave the elevators working and instruct the lower floors to take the stairs.”


“Do it.” Brian got on the intercom.


“Debbie”


“Yes Brian?”


“We’re having a fire drill; each parent will get their child and leave for the day.”


“Shit; ok Brian.”


“I’ll be there for Gus in a minute.” Brian then pressed the number for Justin.


“Justin?”


“Yes Brian”


“Are you alone?”


“Yeah”


“We have a bomb threat and we’re evacuating the building with a fire drill. Send everyone home for the day. Don’t mention a bomb. Meet me downstairs with Gus and Lily at the limo. I’m getting them now.”


“Ok” Brian went and got Gus and Lily. On his way out he got on the company intercom.


“Attention employees of Kinnetik. This is Brian Kinney; we are having a fire drill. Everyone is to leave the tower and go home for the day. Enjoy your time off.” Minutes later Brian, Justin, Gus, and Lily were in the limo headed to West Virginia. Back at Kinnetik Tower things were getting exciting. As people left the building they could see a mob of police and the bomb squad there.


“Who got the call?”


“I did, I’m Cynthia Moore, the PA for the CEO of Kinnetik. Here is his caller ID number and I just happened to be recording incoming calls so it’s on this tape too.”


“Excellent; we’re tracing the number now.” The police detective held his ear piece close. “Do you know a Todd Armstrong?”


“He was the director of the art department at Kinnetik and was let go months ago.”


“Well the number you gave me is his cell phone number.”


“I have his address upstairs.”


“I would like his entire file Ms. Moore.”


“Follow me sir.” In the elevator Cynthia called Brian on her cell phone.


“What’s up Cynthia?”


“Brian, Todd called in the bomb threat.”


“Hang him”


“I’m sure they will Brian; a lot of companies are losing money today.”


“I’m still letting them sweep the tower for a bomb. Keep everyone out.”


“Ok Brian; I’ll call if I learn anything else.” Brian closed his phone.


“Todd called in the bomb threat Justin.”


“Your Todd who was the director of the art department?”


“That’s what the police say.”


“He’ll go to prison for the rest of his life for this.”


********************


“I’m FBI agent Arnold Tyler. This comes under terrorism detective.”


“I have units going to pick up the suspect now. We have his cell phone caller ID left with the bomb threat about 18 minutes ago. Here’s a tape with the call on it.”


“What’s his name?”


“Todd Armstrong, he’s an ex-employee of Kinnetik Advertising who owns the tower.”


“You should sweep the building anyway. Allow security and maintenance to stay there and assist unlocking doors for you.”


“We’re waiting until the building is evacuated first. They’re at the 33rd floor now with the elevator evacuation.”


“Are they doing a fire drill floor by floor?”


“Yes, top to bottom, and the lower 10 floors using the stairs. The tower should be clear in about 20 minutes.”


“Have your people take the suspect downtown to your headquarters. Is that his file?”


“Yes, here you go.”


“Who got the call?”


“I did, Cynthia Moore.”


“What did he say Ms. Moore?”


“This is not a joke. I put a bomb in your building set to go off in one hour. Then he hung up.”


“He he, he hung up all right.”


********************


“Ring!”


“Hello” Todd answered his phone but nobody was there to greet him.


“BAMB!” The police door breaker broke down the front door to Todd and Randy’s apartment and they rushed in with weapons drawn.


“FREEZE, DON’T MOVE, YOU’RE UNDER ARREST for calling a terroristic threat!”


“Oh my God! Randy!” The cops took both men and threw then on the floor; handcuffed and searched them.


“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.”  They took the cell phone as evidence and took the suspects downtown.


********************


Six hours later…..


“The tower is all clear. We find no evidence of a bomb device in the building.”


“I’ll inform the owners.” Cynthia said to the officers.


“We have two suspects downtown now; the FBI is questioning them.”


“I might want to address the media and let our tenants know its ok to come back tomorrow.” Cynthia went to the reporters waiting outside the police tape. Every station had a news crew there.


“I’m Cynthia Moore, CAO of Kinnetik. I’m glad to report no bomb was found in the building and suspects have been arrested for calling in a bomb threat to Kinnetik Tower. All our people can come back to work tomorrow morning.”


“Who called in the threat?” One reporter asked her.


“I’ll let the FBI handle that with you.”


“How much money did this cost your people today?”


“Millions at least”


“Was anyone injured in the evacuation?”


“No, we had a standard fire drill and everything went very smoothly.”


“Did foreign terrorist cause this threat?”


“No, that’s all the questions I’ll answer; excuse me.” Cynthia left to go to the garage and to her car.”


********************


The FBI agent hit the play button on the machine.


“This isn’t a joke. I put a bomb in your building set to go off in about one hour. CLICK!”


“Randy! What the fuck were you thinking calling them?” Todd was shocked to hear his lover’s voice making the bomb threat to Kinnetik.


“Is that your voice Randy Cotton?” The agent asked him.


“Yes sir”


“Did Todd Armstrong know you were making this call?”


“No sir.”


“Had I known I would have stopped him; I would have called Cynthia back and tell her he did it and it’s false. God Randy, do you know how much trouble you’re in now? Why did you do it Randy?”


“I wanted to hurt them like they hurt us. First they fire us at Kinnetik, and then they buy Vangard and hire the entire art department but us. We can’t find work and we don’t have a reference for a job. We’re fucked Todd.”


“Did you put a bomb in that building?”


“No sir.”


“Well your artistic skills can make pretty pictures for your fellow inmates at the federal penitentiary for the rest of your life.”


“I’ve lost you Randy. Good bye.”


********************


“Hello”


“Is this Brian Kinney?”


“Yes”


“I’m FBI agent Arnold Tyler. Your ex-employee Randy Cotton has confessed to making the bomb threat and we have him on tape. We’re releasing Todd Armstrong since he had no knowledge of Randy’s actions. Randy Cotton states no bomb was placed in the building.”


“Shit; thank you for calling me officer.”


“I’m glad no one got hurt Mr. Kinney. Have a good night.”


“You too.” Brian closed his phone and went to make a drink.