Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Carl heard Debbie scream and looked over to see the young boy on the floor. He ran over and tried to force air into his lungs; the passageway was blocked. With one hand he picked up Gus by his ankles raising him in the air. Then Carl slapped Gus very hard on the back; the second slap dislodged a penny from his mouth.

Very carefully Carl began to breathe air into Gus lungs. He checked and found a pulse rapid and shallow. He maintained breathing for the boy with mouth to mouth watching his chest rise and fall. Moments later Gus started to choke and wake up. Debbie had also called Cynthia who told Brian who raced to the nursery. He was relieved to find his son awake and his eyes open.

“What happened?” Brian asked.

“I was changing a diaper in the infant room and came out and found Gus passed out on the floor with a blue face.” Debbie said.

“It only happened within a few seconds Brian; I saw him less than a minute before this and he was fine. He tried to swallow a penny. Here it is.”

“How do you feel son?” Brian asked him.

“I’m ok. My back is sore.”

“I had to slap his back to remove the penny in his throat.”

“Thank you Carl. You saved my son’s life.”

“That’s the job of a kindergarten cop Brian.” Carl said smiling.

“Gus, promise me not to put anything in your mouth except food or drinks.”

“I promise Daddy. I was holding it and it fell in; then it got stuck and I couldn’t breathe.”

“OK, are you sure you’re ok Gus?”

“I’m ok Daddy, I’m sorry if I scared you.”

“How many kids are in here every day Carl?”

“Eighteen altogether Brian.”

“I want you to hire a young girl to help you. Get an intern from the college. Maybe two, one for mornings and another one for the afternoons.”

“Another pair of eyes is a good idea Brian. I’ll go ask Cynthia to get us some help.” Brian took another look at his son, hugged and kissed him and decided this situation was handled.

“Kid’s will be kids. No harm done. I’m just damn glad you’re here Carl.”

“Every cop learns emergency first aid Brian. That was a simple emergency.” Brian nodded his head and left the nursery to tell Justin what happened.

********************

“Got a minute Brian?”

“Come in Ted. What do you have for me?”

“Here’s the rough draft for the Ford contract for your review. I just came back from the U.S. Steel office speaking with the CEO.  I got them to lower the asking price because we don’t want their name on the building. I insisted on a five year lease from them for $875,000 a month for their office space. They’ll sell us this tower for 1.2 billion dollars. We pay 210 million down plus closing costs. They agreed to a 60 year mortgage owner carry back for 4% interest. We can make the monthly debt service payments with 49% occupancy without their rent or ours. That includes building maintenance, utilities, taxes and insurance. Our monthly mortgage payment is just under $4 million.”

“Sweet, add to that our real estate agent Jennifer Taylor for a 3% commission paid by the seller and we got a deal.”

“They won’t like that Brian; it cuts too deep into their down payment. They wanted 300 million.”

“Tell them I’ll split the commission with them at closing. Tell them it’s our company policy she gets all our real estate deals. It’s public record; they can see it’s true.”

“They might go for that. They haven’t even listed it yet. They’re saving 3% with only one agent.”

“Push that angle on them. I want an offer ready tomorrow afternoon for Jennifer after landing the Ford account.”

“I’ll get legal to work it up.”

“What’s this building really worth Ted?”

“Full leased and not in a recession…2.75 billion Brian or more. We’re stealing this joint. Not too many dogs are big enough to sniff this hydrant much less piss on it.”

“How old is this tower?”

“It was built in 1970. It has two separate water mains, and four separate electric feeds. Structurally it’s very sound.”

“Order an engineering study anyway.”

“They’re required to get one each year for their insurance Brian.”

“Get me a copy of the last study. Who has the top two floors now?”

“The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center leases the top five floors and they have a ten year lease. They’re the best residents seconded by U.S. Steel; leasing about four acres of office space.”

“Ok, when they move out, we move up.”

 “That’ll be in six years Brian. I’d hate to kick out a good tenet.”

“Ok, just remember we want the top floors later on. How vacant is the building?”

“There’s 28% vacancy right now. Many other clients are struggling to stay afloat.”

“If we buy the building we offer sweetheart advertising deals for our tenants. We’re invested in their success. Put the word on the grapevine to the building that if we buy it they get Kinnetik’s help in the package.”

“Brilliant Brian, that’ll be an incentive to the sellers to work with us. Do you include U.S. Steel in this arrangement?”

“All renters without exception can get help from Kinnetik; a good discount for hiring us.”

“Brian, I have Gardner Vance on line one.” Cynthia said on the intercom.

“What the fuck does he want?” Brian put the phone on speaker. “Brian here.”

“Hello Brian; how’s business?”

“Too fucking busy to chit chat; what can I do for you?”

“I’ll get to the point. I want to retire and offer you the chance to buy my company.” Brian grinned.

“Why would I want your company Vance? I already took over half your clients and we’re buried above our $200 haircuts with new business not counting your nickel and dime accounts. Most of your staff has no talent or vision and would be a liability for me.”

“Well at least buy my client list and contracts so I can close shop with a retirement. I’m throwing in the towel Brian.”

“Are you stuck with a long term lease on your offices?”

“I’ve made arrangements to cancel it early without major cost against me.”

“Put together a list of your clients and their contracts; you have to surrender their advertising deposits and their retainers. I’m not going to do your work and let you walk off with all the cash. Also make me copies of your employee’s resumes; I might need some of them especially art and video skills. I’ll send Ted over now for the information and get back to you with an offer later this week. Tomorrow I’m booked solid but I’ll look at it after that.”

“I should congratulate you for the Budweiser account.”

“Gardner, that isn’t even my biggest client.”

“Who is?”

“Trade secret; I have to go.” Brian hung up the phone smiling. “We sunk his fucking battle ship good.”

 “Let me guess, rob the company client retainers and pension fund, fire the staff, steal the clients and give Vance a small pension with a kick in the ass out the door?”

“I love it when you talk dirty Theodore. Go do it. He’s drowning in nonperformance and can’t produce for his clients. He’ll accept anything rather than end up with nothing. Get those resumes and a list of his video equipment and talent. Justin might want to go with you.”

“I’m on it Brian.” Brian got on his intercom.

“Justin, guess who we’re eating for dinner?”

 “I wouldn’t dare a guess; who?”

“Vangard”

 “No shit? I want to see what kind of art and video department he has.”

 “Ted’s headed over there now. Join him and check out their shit. Don’t let on to Vance we have Ford in our pocket.”

“Got it Brian; this is sweet.”

“He just called me for an out. We now own all of Pittsburgh business and more.”

 “What about his employees?”

“We keep who we want; most of them hit the rocks.”

 “OK; I might need all his artists Brian.”

“Your very own Schindler's List of people to save; you’re such a softie Justin.”

 “I need them if we land Ford and maybe more people too. I’ll bring them in under a trial basis on probation and if they don’t cut it we let them go.”

“I might keep one or two ad men and the rest or toast. We don’t need any other staff. We have our own legal, accounting, all that.”

“Shit Brian; Ford, this tower, now Vangard; this is one hell of a day.”

“I have to read a Ford contract. Later.”

“Later”

********************

“You’re a very fast learner Mark. Usually a student needs a month to learn that Kata. You did it in one hour.”

“Thank you master; I have a very good memory.”

“We are now going to do some basic Judo. Mainly today I will teach you how to fall without being hurt.” For the next hour the martial arts instructor showed Mark how to fall down and how to throw a grown man using his hips for leverage. The teacher was amazed with the learning ability of his pupil. This young man showed great promise. At this rate he could move up to his first belt by Friday.

“You are making remarkable progress. I would like for you to attend my studio to work with other students Mark.”

“Leave me your card sir and I’ll talk to Jerry about it. I have to have my armed bodyguard with me at all times though.”

“I understand. That will not be a problem Mark. I want you to experience sparing with people your age and of all sizes.”

“Do you have a schedule of your classes?”

“Yes, it’s on my website. The URL’s on my card.”

“I’ll talk with Jerry tonight about it. I don’t foresee a problem.”

 “Very good, our time is done for today.” They both bowed low and Master Hutu was escorted to the front door by Mark.

 “Thank you sir for today’s lesson.”

“I was very happy to do this for you Mark.” The old man walked out and got into his car. Mark went to the kitchen to see Frenchie.

“I’ m starving Frenchie.”

“Master Jerry’s running late. How about a chicken sandwich to tie you over until dinner?”

 “Do you have any Miracle Whip?”

 “I sure do; lettuce and tomatoes?”  

 “Please” Frenchie pulled out a cooked chicken patty and heated it as he made the sandwich ready. He poured a large glass of 1% milk and served it to the boy. Mark dove in because he truly was hungry. “May I have another milk?’

 “Of course master Mark.” Frenchie refilled his glass and gave him the sandwich. As Mark ate his meal, he started to read the next chapter in his acting textbook. Frenchie stayed busy in the kitchen getting dinner ready and cleaning behind him.

 ********************“

"So Marvel Comics buys Angel’s black comic concept for 700K; then we learn Ford is going to sign on with us probably tomorrow. After that Ted tells me we can buy the U.S. Steel Tower for a song with owner carry back at 4%. Then Gus tries to swallow a penny and scares the shit out of everybody. And to end the day Vance with Vangard calls me wanting to sell his company which is practically worthless. Ted has him over a barrel and we’re applying the grease now before ramming it in.” Brian completed his summary of his day to Mel. Justin listened smiling at the way Brian told it.

“Gus, I taught you not to put anything in your mouth.” Mel said.

 “I was holding it for Kathy; it was her penny. I’ll never do it again.”

“Good boy; I wish I’d known you’d be buying the tower before buying my office building Brian.”

"You can always move in later Mel.”

 “A downtown location would be great for business. I just don’t have enough clients yet to swing it.”

“I’ll make you a deal after we get in. Six months deferred rent to help you get started. Apply the difference on our retainer. Lease or sell your building. I have lots of finished unused office space there now.”

 “How much parking is there?”

 “The street parking and 600 spaces underground.”

 “Save me 2 thousand square feet as high as you can. I’ll do it.”

“Welcome to Kinnetik Tower Ms. Marcus.”