Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

At 10:15 AM Anheuser Busch III stepped out of his Gulfstream private jet at Pittsburgh International Airport. A limo was waiting for him. He was escorted by two security men and his PA. He gave the address to the driver and relaxed as the car sped away to its destination. Once arriving at the Kinnetik building he was surprised at the exterior and the neighborhood. It wasn’t plush or attractive at all. He didn’t know what to make of it. Anheuser and he people exited the limo and entered the building.

“Anheuser Busch III here to see Justin Taylor.”

“They’re expecting you sir, this way please.” Cynthia said as she led the CEO of Anheuser Busch Companies and his PA into Brian’s office. The man was very impressed with the interior of the building and the art work on display. There were also panels of advertising done by Kinnetik he recognized on the walls. Justin walked up to Mr. Busch and extended his hand smiling.

“Good morning; I’m Justin Taylor.” They shook hands.

“Anheuser Busch, Justin; glad to make your acquaintance finally. Jerry speaks so highly of you and your partner.”

“If I may introduce Brian Kinney, my life partner and founder of Kinnetik, winner of four CLEO awards.”

“Hello Brian.” Brian warmly shook hands with the man and felt his personal power. “Call me Busch.”

“Well Busch; we’re excited to be meeting you today. How can we help you?”

“Let me get to the point; we haven’t changed our company image in several years and our PR has gotten stale.  I’m very impressed with what you’ve done for Leo Brown, Eyeconics, and Marvel so far. Who else do you have for national advertising; all media?”

“We just recently signed up the Black Real Estate Network for a bold new campaign extending their target market to all people and races.  We’re very excited about that project. We’re a young company and this building is our first; we’re soon moving into the entire 46th floor of the U.S. Steel skyscraper downtown. Business is very good.”

“You’re comfortable going for diverse target market groups?”

“Very much Busch.” Brian said with confidence.

“How are you different than other agencies doing advertising and PR?”

“Just like this building is unique, so are we. We think outside the box using the most powerful tools in advertising: edge, sex, color, art, lifestyle, genius slogans and very entertaining ads.  We strive to sell our clients’ products without the consumers knowing we’re selling to them. We reach into their subconscious minds and entice them to buy.”

“Are you staffed well enough to handle an account the size of mine?”

“Not yet, but we can be very quickly. We’re poised to expand now without your account; I’d just have to ratchet it up a couple of notches.” Brian said.

“If I might add Busch; unlike other agencies everyone at Kinnetik thinks about a campaign. My art department works on new ad ideas and concepts, competing with the ad men so we use all the talent we have to dream up the best ideas. If I may brag about my people; our results have been outstanding.” Justin said.

 “The new help will handle the smaller local accounts and our more seasoned senior staff will work on the major accounts like yours would be. We have excellent photographers, models, and access to state of the art video production equipment and genius editors.” Brian added.

“I would need results with seven TV spots and 10 ads within three months; can you produce it for me?”

“Yes” Brian said. “Is that when your present PR contract expires?”

“That’s correct Brian. How do you structure your contract?”

“What's your budget for PR?”

“500 million next cycle.”

“We would go all media, national exclusive contract for one year; unlimited production of products; and retainer up front. During that year we will do our best to get hired the next year, and the next.”

“I’m very interested in expanding into diverse market groups.”

“Unlike other agencies we have many multi-racial accounts now and the talent to service them.” Brian said.

“Jerry never steers me wrong, and my instinct says to go with you. Have your attorney prepare the contract. I have another engagement now and will return at four this afternoon to close our deal.”

“We’ll be ready Busch.” Justin told him smiling.

“Very good gentlemen; see you at four.”  Anheuser Busch III and his PA left the office; Brian and Justin looked at each other stunned knowing they were now in the big leagues without being in New York.

 ********************

“All rise; the Honorable Brent Madding presiding. Be seated.” Michael got up and after the judge sat down he did too.

“The United States of America versus Michael Novotny.” Said the clerk. The judge opened his file on Michael’s case and read the arrest report.

“Mr. Novotny; it seems you were caught with your hand in the cookie jar so to speak. You were ordered not to leave Pennsylvania and you were arrested fleeing to Canada when awaiting sentencing in Pittsburgh. You’re charged with Jumping Bail and International Flight to avoid Prosecution. Were you intending to do that Mr. Novotny?”

“Yes your honor.” The judge looked up at Michael; very rarely did a defendant admit guilt this early in the legal stages of justice. Michael’s court appointed lawyer was shocked at his admission.

“Since you have now admitted your guilt how do you plea to both counts?”

“Guilty your honor.” People in the court room whispered to each other. Other inmate laughed out loud.

“Order in the court.” Everyone got quiet. “Counsel, did you advise your client to plead not guilty today?”

“Yes your honor; however Mr. Novotny has made his own decision against the advice of counsel.”

“Mr. Novotny, do you have any mental health issues that may cause you unable to make your own decisions regarding the serious circumstances you’re facing?”

“No your honor.”

“Very well; court accepts the plea of guilty to both counts; defendant is reprimanded to federal holding without bail; sentencing is scheduled for March 11th. Next case.” The judge said. The attorney looked at what had to be the stupidest client of his career. Michael had no hope now to plea bargain a lesser sentence. Without as much as an ounce of brains, Michael laid his head on the chopping block.

********************

“Let me see; Carl’s family is from Budapest, yours are Italian, Brian is Irish, and Justin is English. I see a European theme here somehow.” Emmett said as he discussed the wedding plans with Debbie.

“Carl and I don’t care how you do it Emmett. The Catholic priest will do the service; that’s enough for me. Do an English/Irish theme for the boys. That should make it simple for you.” Debbie told him.

“I already have a good idea what Justin wants from the previous wedding plans. You could wear a traditional Budapest wedding dress; it’s like a flowery spring dress; lots of colors.”

“I’d only attract flies and bees.”

“OK, we can do the Italian tradition of you wearing a veil to protect the bride from evil spirits.”

“Can I see out it?”

“Of course Deb, it’s lace.”

“I’m ok with that but don’t go nuts with the Italian crap. It’s not that important to me. I’m just happy Carl’s marrying me. Let me and Carl look plain and let the boys shine.”

“I got Justin to agree with a partial Celtic wedding ceremony; they’ll do the same vows and all like you and Carl but they’ll put a ribbon on their hands binding them together forever.”

“That sounds very romantic Em.”

 ********************

“Where are you at Hunter; lunch’s ready.”

“My car won’t start. It could be the battery or worse. I’m at the diner; I stopped for a coke.”

“I’ll be right over and give you a jump.” Ben hung up the phone and put on his coat. Minutes later he found Hunter beside his car.

“We can’t jump it the way you’re parked. Get the tool kit from the trunk and let’s take the battery out and go get it charged up.”

“OK; Ben, this car’s a piece of junk, I’ll soon have enough for a better one anyway.”

“I still haven’t got Justin’s medical bills yet.”

“Call him Ben.” Ben took out his cell phone and found Justin’s number in the memory.

“Hi Ben”

“Justin, did you get your medical bills yet?”

“I’ve been so busy I forgot to call you. My insurance at Kinnetik covered it all. Forget about it Ben.”

“Are you sure Justin?”

“Oh course, I’m not out of pocket for a dime.”

“Well Hunter’s car is acting up and I’d like to help him get a better one.”

“The guy at Liberty Motors is good. I helped an employee buy a car there.”

“Thanks for the advice; talk to you later Justin.”

“Later Ben.” Ben then stopped Hunter from taking out the battery and he called a tow truck to take the car in for repairs.

 ********************

“How’s the comic coming Angel?”

“Good Justin; but shouldn’t I be working on a real account instead of practice?”

“I told you to pretend the owner of Marvel Comics was interested in your comic. Now I’ll admit to you he is interested for real and will see what we can create for him. My first serious art job was drawing the comic Rage.”

 “Really? I sure hope he likes it.”

 “In the back of your mind; think of ways to sell Budweiser beers to black young people.”

“OK”

********************

"You’re in luck Ms. Marcus; the deadline for new ads in the city’s next issue of the Yellow Pages is this week.”

“I want a half page ad; use this photo of me. Here’s the list of my specialties.”

 “What’s the title of the ad?”

“Law Office of Melanie Marcus.”

“And this is your phone number for the ad?”

“Yes, and I have an answering service 24/7.”

“I’ll design the ad and email you a proof today.”

“Sounds good.”

********************

“Kevin Gelden”

“Ted Schmitt, CFO of Kinnetik. You resume says you were the director of human resources for Hydronics Energy Products for 12 years.  What happened with that job Kevin?”

“The owner sold the company and the new owner let many people go including myself and gave positions to his people. Here’s a letter of recommendation from the original owner.” The well dressed man gave Ted the letter. Ted read it and it was outstanding explaining the circumstances of his end of employment exactly as Kevin described.

“I see you’re married with two children. Tell me Kevin, do you have a problem working with gay people?”

“Not at all; I have a brother who’s gay. My kids love him and we often have him and his partner over to our house for dinner and Sunday lunches.”

“It says here you minored in Marketing, and your hobby is art.”

“I love marketing but haven’t gotten a break to work in the field yet. I paint with oils and draw.”

“I see you went back to school and just got your MBA.”

“Yes, I just finished the program recently.”

“What was your salary before being let go?”

“$95,000”

“I can start you at that and you’ll obtain raises quickly here. We’re a very successful company. I’m the chief accountant and been doing the HR but we’re about to expand very rapidly it seems.”

“I’m very good in a fast pace organization and take great care in hiring the best talent I can find. I don’t rush into quick decisions; I always check out the references of potential employees. I can have a smooth running HR team set up in a matter of days.” Ted looked at the man and smiled; then he reached for his intercom.

“Brian”

“Yes Ted’

“I believe I found our man for HR director; would you like to meet him?”

“Ted, we landed Budweiser and Company; I trust your judgment so sign him up. I’ll meet him later on the job.”

“OK”

“I’m hired?”

“Welcome to Kinnetik Kevin.”

 ********************

 “How does the contract look Curtis?” Busch asked his PA and attorney.

“It’s a standard contract granting them exclusive right to represent you nationally for one year, 500 million retainer, unlimited work during that time frame, rights to reject a product and send it back for replacement, with media cost extra.”

“Any trap door clauses?”

“None for either party. This is an ironclad contract; very precise and up to par.” Busch took the contract and looked it over himself. He then took out his pen and signed it. Then he signed the second copy, then the third. Next Brian and Justin both signed for Kinnetik. Justin insisted on sharing this account with Brian and sharing the bonus equally. Busch reached into his briefcase and pulled out a cashier’s check made out to Kinnetik for $500 million dollars and handed it to Justin.

“Thank you for your business. We’re going to spend the next week getting set up at our new offices then we’ll be jumping on your account at once.” Brian said.

 “I’m covered for the next 3 months. I need your work after that.”

 “We’ll have proofs for you way in advance.” Brian told the powerful man. Everyone shook hands.

“Now that we got that settled I need to get home before dinner.”

“Come back and see us soon; or we can go to you at anytime Busch.” Justin said smiling. Busch was charmed by the very young businessman and artist. He could feel great talent radiating from his being.

 “Good day men.” Busch and his PA left to enter their limo and head to the airport. Brian went to the bar and made drinks for Justin and himself.