Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

The Cessna Citation X jet pulled into Jerry and Mark’s private hanger at LAX airport. The boys helped move their luggage into the trunk of the limo and the security detail’s SUV. Minutes later they arrived at their temporary home in Malibu. As soon as the clothes were put away the boys headed out back to suit up and go into the ocean.

Brian and Justin were sitting at the dining room table with Jerry and Mark studying the initial plans for their new home. It has 16,000 square feet, two story, ten bedrooms, twelve bathrooms, a full basement, a designer kitchen, formal dining room, enclosed back porch and deck, indoor heated swimming pool with in ground Jacuzzi and an art studio/botanical garden area. Construction was estimated to last five months once they gave the go ahead. There were two fireplaces; one in the master bedroom and one in the main living room, and the plans showed a media room large enough to seat 30 people.

The exterior drawing of the house matched the same details of design as Jerry and Mark’s house with the second story enclosed instead of open glass ceilings; the roof was taller to accommodate the second floor.  Brian and Justin signed off on the house plans and would only have to decide final colors and trim details later on in the construction process. Floor tiles were already chosen when they return the plans to the builder. It would cost about $2.4 million to build the house including enclosed parking for eight cars.

“I suggest you built 200 feet from this house to the south of us; the beach in front of you will be perfect and you’ll be closest to the boat docks.” Jerry told them. “I’m going to deed the land to you guys for your permits to all be in your names; that’ll make your paperwork easier.”

“It’s really good of you guys to put up with us all this time.” Justin said to them.

“No problem, we’re happy to have the company and the kids are a blast to have around. It gives our kids someone to play with and Mark people to surf with.” Jerry told them.

“How has Devin been?” Justin wondered.

“Perfect; he and Zack play all day and cause us no problems at all. I keep an agent with them out of the house all the time.”

“It’s beautiful weather today; I wouldn’t mind jumping in the ocean myself. Come with me Brian.”

“I could use a few rays of sunlight; however, you better use some sunscreen on your delicate skin.” The lovers soon had on trunks and were in the water with the boys having fun playing and watching some of them surf. Everyone played until time for dinner and sundown. They decided to eat on the back patio to enjoy the sunset and the calm winds and warm air. With the breaking waves in the background everyone enjoyed their meal of turkey burgers, low fat cheese melted on the grilled patties and all the trimmings. Frenchie made a potato salad to die for and not a drop was left when the meal ended. Following the meal the kids went and cleaned up and dressed for the evening casually. The adults had drinks and discussed gossip back in Pittsburgh. Lindsay was not a topic of discussion. Janet played her grand piano in the background filling the home with classical music played perfectly. The music and sounds of more kids in the house made for a different environment for Brian and Justin and it was quite pleasant to experience.

In the following weeks Brian, Justin, Frank and Gus commuted to Pittsburgh to work at Kinnetik all summer; Frank did the Mustang ads and commercials, Gus did several regular ads and won two bonuses for outstanding ads he created. Ted helped Frank invest his money wisely and filed his quarterly tax return. Back in Malibu arrangements were made enrolling the school age kids in the private Montessori school in the wealthy beach community.

Within a month the new house basement and swimming pool was finished and the framing of the house was started. Very quickly the shape of a new home was visible for all to see. The noise of construction was not avoidable but the crews did stop at sundown. Progress was ahead of schedule.

Shawn still had his senior year to finish at high school; Peter and Frank enrolled in the community college for basic classes. Frank was able to finish his initial Ford ads. It was decided he could miss a day or two of college classes if he had to make more ads later.

********************

 Months later the new home was built and Justin was busy furnishing the house. Los Angeles was a great place to buy furniture, art and accessories for a home.  The place was large enough to give Brian the simplicity of furniture he desired with the family needs of durable and soft sofas for kids wanting to lounge around. Brian planned the office room and the formal living room; Justin was in charge of doing the rest of the house. The kids had a choice in choosing their bedroom sets within reason. Soon all the rooms were ready and the family was moving in their new home. Excitement was in the air as everyone explored the new digs delighted by the house and what it had to offer.

A helicopter pad was installed to ferry the Kinnetik workers to the airport quickly to their waiting private jet.  A new helicopter was purchased for Malibu. Justin contemplated learning to fly the helicopters as well as the jet. Three weeks in the new house life changed again. Brian cell phone rang with a call from Claire in the middle of the night.

“Claire, why are you calling at this hour?”

“Brian, mother had a bad stroke. She’s living on life support.”

“What happens now?”

“I have her living will instructing me not to continue life support so I’m supposed to pull the plug. Do you want to see her before she goes?”

“She won’t be able to talk to me or understand me; go ahead and let her go. Let me know the day of the funereal.”

“She doesn’t have any money to bury her either.”

“I’ll handle it; did she leave a will?”

“Yes, she divides the house between Peter and John.”

“That’s good; I guess I’ll go wake up Peter and tell him what’s going on.”

“Find out if he wants to see her before she passes away.”

“Let me call you back.”

“Ok” Brian closed the phone and put on a robe.

“Is it your mother Brian?” Justin asked him whipping at his eyes.

“Yes, she had a bad stroke and she’s dying. I have to tell Peter.” Brian put on some slippers and went to the pool area to the boy’s bedroom and knocked on their door. Frank answered it wearing his underwear.

“Frank, wake up Peter and tell him to come outside and talk to me.”

“OK Brian” A couple of minutes later Peter came out and sat with Brian by the pool.

“Your mother just called me; grandmother Kinney had a bad stroke and she’s dying. Would you like to see her before they take her off of life support?”

“Shit; is it possible?”

“Yes, we can fly to Pittsburgh this morning. She’s unconscious and won’t know you’re there. You can say goodbye to her.”

“I would like to go Uncle Brian; it’s the least I can do.” Brian pressed redial on his phone.

“Yes Brian”

“Hold off; Peter wants to say goodbye to her. We’ll fly later this morning and see you. Where’s she at?”

“Pittsburgh General, room 533.”

“It’ll be about four your time when we get in since the time zones are against us flying over.”

“I’m sorry to have bothered you Brian.”

“That’s ok; I’m glad you called. Who else have you called?”

“You’re the only one. I was going to get the priest before ending life support.”

“Debbie should know; they’re sort of friends now.”

“I have her number in mom’s address book.”

“Call them in the morning at eight; let her sleep for now. When did you last sleep?”

“I’ve been awake all night with this. I waited on the doctor’s results before calling you.”

“Try to get some sleep Claire; we’ll be there soon.”

“Ok, thank you Brian.” Brian closed his phone.

“I wonder what time it is.”

“Almost four in the morning when I came out to talk to you.”

“Set your alarm for seven; we’ll eat a bite and as soon as Justin can arrange a second pilot we’re flying to Pittsburgh.”

“Can Shawn and Frank come too?”

“Sure; I’ll bring the whole family for this one.” Brian then when back to his bedroom and sat the alarm and got a couple more hours sleep.

******************

Carl, Frank and Shawn waited in the waiting area as the Kinney family surrounded Joan Kinney’s bed with Justin beside Brian on the right and Debbie on his left. The priest Rev. Butterfield administered last rites, and Claire nodded her head instructing the nurse to end the life support machine. Joan breathed on her own for three minutes before taking her last breath very peacefully. Tears were in Claire and her boy’s eyes at the moment of death. Brian was in emotional overload and left the room as soon as it was over with Justin following behind him.

“I’m sorry Brian.”

“She was old and it was her time Justin; now we have to make arrangements for her.”

“The people who handled my dad did a good job.”

“Call them for me and start the ball rolling. Once Claire is more herself we can go pick out a casket and stuff.”

“I need to take the boys shopping for good suits.” Even Gus has out grown his best suit.

“Ok, our man at Saks will tailor them in one day; take them there. Take John too.” Devin came out and hugged his father. This was the first time the boy had seen death. Even though it wasn’t really his grandmother he was still moved by the moment since he was close to Peter. Everyone left to go eat a late lunch at a nearby restaurant treated by Brian and Justin. Justin took the boys to Saks Fifth Avenue for suits and clothes and Brian took his sister to the funeral home to set up the ceremony and things.

“Thanks for buying John a suit Brian.”

“No problem; it’s only fair since the other boys will have new suits for this occasion. Justin will pick out a nice suit good for job hunting as well.” They met the funeral director and picked out the casket for their mother, a dark mahogany all wood casket with a sealing vault. She would be interred with Jack her husband and the funeral mass would be at her church in two days. A reception was planned after the burial at Joan’s house. Brian had a crew go clean the house and get it ready for company. Joan had let it go downhill a bit in her old age.

“Claire, how will John handle a windfall of money from Joan?” Brian asked his sister.

“He worked part time through college and was able to save a couple of thousand Brian. He’s not wasteful at all.”

“This is what I’m going to do; Joan’s house is worth only about $300,000 but Kinnetik will buy it for $2.1 million so each boy gets a million from Joan. Then I’m adding four bedrooms on the back before donating the house to the Gay Youth Center for a group home. We can write off the total amount invested. Melanie will do the paper work for no charge since its family. Does Joan have any final bills?”

“Just her utilities to my knowledge Brian.”

“Are you upset she didn’t put you in her will?”

“She offered to and I said to give it to the boys; I would have done it anyway and this way they don’t get taxed on it.”

“Good thinking; John should use my accountant Ted to invest his money wisely. That’s what I’m telling Peter to do.”

“John wants to go to grad school; he can afford it now.”

“Just remind him once you start spending its can very soon be gone.” They completed the funeral arrangements and parted ways; Claire went home and Brian and Justin went to West Virginia.

********************

Brian made the arrangements to buy his mother’s house with Ted and have the additional bedrooms and bathrooms added to the house. A complete remodel would be done to the structure with upgraded appliances added and an oversize washer and dryer. The funeral happened as planned and the family and friends gathered at the house after the service. After that the group headed to the jet and flew back to Malibu without delay.