Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

“Animal Friends Incorporated"

“I’m looking for a young golden retriever female dog.”

“Let me direct your call to the canine desk; one moment.”

“Canines”

“Hello, my name’s Justin and I’m looking for a young female golden retriever for my family.”

“Calls like this always blow me away. I just took in a beautiful female retriever not an hour ago from a couple who hated to let her go but they’re moving out of state to an apartment without pets. Let me find her file. Here it is: she’s 2 years old, her name’s Danni and a pure breed with papers. She has been groomed and very well cared for. She’s one of the prettiest dogs I’ve ever seen Justin.”

“I’ll be right there to see her. What does it take to adopt her?”

“Our fee is $200 and that includes her being checked out by our vet for you. All her shots are current. They took perfect care of her. Do you have a yard?”

“We have acres and she’ll have a private fenced in area too, and we have a pool.”

“They love to swim; tell my about your family.”

“We have 3 boys; 5, 11, and 15.”

“I’ll be looking for you to arrive.”

“Ten minutes; I’m just downtown.”

“Ok”

“Good day” Justin hung up the phone and looked at Brian. “I think I found our dog; I’m going to go see her. She sounds perfect for us.”

********************

“Wow; if I was an animal I’d like to end up here.”Justin thought out loud as he entered the new facility that was clean and decorated with taste. He followed the signs to the canine section.

“Hello; I’m Justin. I called about the golden retriever.”

“Yes Justin, let me put you in a meeting room and I’ll go get her; the name is Danni.” Justin followed the man to a room made for meeting potential pets. A couple of minutes later he walked in with Danni on a leash wagging her tail and looking at Justin with her beautiful eyes smiling at him. Her teeth were perfectly white and her coat shiny and groomed. She went right to Justin smelling his hands. He petted her and instantly fell in love with her.

“This dog’s special; let me show you. Danni, sit.” The dog sat down. “Up Danni.” She got up. “UP-Up Danni.” The man said patting his chest and the dog got up and placed her paws on his chest. “Down girl.” The dog obeyed the command. “Roll over Danni.” The dog got down and rolled over. “Play dead.” Danni lay down and closed her eyes. “Good girl!” The dog got up and nudged the man’s hands. “I'll leave you two alone for a while.” He then left the room. Justin got down on the floor on her level.

“Well girl I think you’d be perfect for my family. Would you like to live in the country with a big yard, a pool and three boys to play with?” Justin rubbed her fur around her neck. Danni was beyond a doubt a very friendly dog. “Yes I think your pound days are just about over. You’re just what I’m looking for to take home and you don’t need obedience training. You’re very well trained already.” Justin took the leash and went outside the room.

“What do you think of her?”

“She’s the dog for us. When can she be ready?”

“She has a vet appointment at four but it’s routine since she’s already fixed with all her shots and I have detailed records of her prior vet visits. The last family really loved this dog. Here’s a form you need to fill out.” Justin filled out the form and gave it back to the man. “Kinney, that sounds familiar for some reason.”

“We own Kinnetik Advertising and the Kinnetik Tower downtown.”

“Yeah, I’ve read about your company in the papers. You have a son name Gus is it who made millions on an ad once?”

“Yes, that was a long time ago; he’s 11 now.”

“Looks like Danni here hit the jackpot as far as adoptions go.”  

“Can you take a credit card for your fee?”

“Yes we can. She should be available at 5 today if you want to get her then.”

“Sounds good; I’ll be here as soon as traffic permits it.”

“We’re open until eight tonight.”

“I have to go shopping for some pet supplies right now. My contractor’s installing a doggy door and a huge fenced area for her, to protect her from the wildlife. We live on and estate in the country of West Virginia.”

“Golden retrievers do good riding in a car.”

“We have a helicopter too and a jet.”

“EMS and rescue groups have trained dogs to ride choppers before. They just have to get use to it.”

“I don’t think we’ll be taking her up in it; I was thinking out loud.”

“Your payment cleared so that’s all taken care of. Is this your cell phone number?”

“Yes”

“I’ll call you if the vet finds anything but I’m not expecting a problem. See you around five Justin.”

“OK, later Danni.” Justin said petting and kissing his new dog one more time before leaving.

********************

“So how was your date with the bitch?” Brian joked with Justin as he walked into the office.

“Perfect; that dog’s the one. I did the paperwork already and bought supplies. She sees the vet today at four. She has already been trained and has the best personality you ever saw Brian. She’s a very smart beautiful dog; the boys are going to love her.”

“When do we get her?”

“I’ll get her today with the limo at five. You leave in the helicopter and go home without me. I’ll see you later.”

“How do we organize the boys to take care of her?”

“Peter is the oldest and I’ll put him in charge. They should take turns grooming, walking her and cleaning up for her and maintaining her food and water. It’ll be Peter’s job to make sure it gets done and Tray will make sure Peter does his job if I can’t be on top of it.”

“Sounds like a plan and includes Peter in the family with responsibility and authority. I like it.”

“I do have a brain despite my hot ass and natural blond hair.”

“I’d be attacking that ass right now but I’m expecting a call from Anheuser Busch III or his PA Curtis soon. It’s time to renew their contract with us.”

“I’m beginning to think it’s easier to write better copy than our competition than to write ads better than our last work for a client.”

“You can say that again Sunshine. I got scientific this time with surveys to tell me the public’s opinion of Budweiser and their other products. We’ll design the next ads around what I learn.”

“If you don’t need me I’ll go check on the art department for a while.”

“I’ll just be kissing his ass for ten minutes on the phone; go ahead and tour the department.” Justin kissed his lover and left the office. Justin entered the elevator with a security agent; they were always there like a silent shadow. Justin was so use to them he didn’t even give it a thought. He left the elevator and began to walk around looking at what everyone was working on. They had so many clients now and ads in process it was hard to keep track of just the whale clients and their campaigns.

********************

“Brian, Charles Peterson is on line five.” Cynthia announced over the intercom.

“Brian here”

“Kinney why did you have Lindsay arrested?”

“First of all I didn’t have her arrested. She was stalking Gus at school and he spotted her and told his bodyguard who had standing orders from us to call the police if she tried to see him. She got herself arrested.”

“She’s going back to Canada to serve her prison term now; 10 years.”

“She was warned Charles; she came to my home Thanksgiving Day trying to get in clearly knowing Gus would be there. I told her then to stay away or she would go to prison. I warned her Charles and she didn’t listen to me.”

“I didn’t know she did that Brian.”

“Gus is still dealing with her abuse and the last thing he needs right now is to see her. It’s painful beyond words for him to even think about it. Are you going to try to get her off?”

“I hired her lawyer again but he says it’s pretty hopeless. This was a clear major violation of her court order. I was wondering if you might write a letter requesting they be lenient with her.”

“She was stalking Gus at school. He saw her several times before reporting it. She got more bold and closer each time. Why would I want to do that?”

“At one point the two of you were very close. She did choose you to be the father of her child.”

“Everything changed when she mentally, physically and sexually abused our son.”

“Then I’m asking you for a favor Brian.”

“Brian, Anheuser Busch III is on line two.” Cynthia announced.

“I have to take this call; give my lady her attorney’s address and I’ll do it for you. Cynthia, get the address for a lawyer from Charles Peterson; Charles stay on the phone.”

“Thank you Brian.”

“Brian Kinney”

“Hello Brian, how are things in the ad world today?”

“Just dreaming up ways to get people to spend their money and drink beer; how are you?”

“Excellent Brian; I’ve already convinced the board to go with Kinnetik another year. I’ve signed your contract and sent it over night to your office. By five today my time our retainer will be wired into your account. How different can we sell beer that we haven’t already done?”

“I’ve done some extensive marketing research on public opinion of your products. From that data I’ll decide how we best move forward. I anticipated your renewed contract and already went to work on the challenge. We’ll smoke the good stuff and dream up something for you.”

“That young Mexican man sure sold a lot of beer for us. Where did you find him?”

“Actually he’s the life partner of my man in charge of Kinnetik Dallas. He just finished college with a degree in marketing and he works for us now. He could still available for work should you like to have him. He’s a great kid and very smart.”

“We might like that Brian; he’s a great image for my company. Well I just wanted to give you the good news we’re still on board for another year.”

“I’ll do my best to earn the next year Busch.  Thanks for the call.”

“You’re welcome Brian; good day.” Brian put down the phone and got on the intercom.

“Oh Theodore”

“Yes Brian”

“Watch for 1.4 billion getting wired into our account today from Budweiser.”

“Funny you mentioned it; it just came in not 2 minutes ago.”

“Can I afford to buy Canada yet?”

“Almost Brian”

“Thank you CFO for that information; join me for a coffee in the break room.”

“Be right there.”

********************

“What’s going on Brian?” Ted asked.

“Lindsay’s father begged me to write a letter to the Canadian court asking for leniency on her behalf.”

“Are you going to do it?”

“What would you do in my shoes?”

“Has Gus been harmed recently by her?”

“No”

“A side of me can understand a mother wanting to see her son. It has been many years for her. From what you told me she never spoke to him or openly let him know she was there; she only wanted to see him. Another side of me feels like she was never punished for abusing him and I’d welcome her getting a long time in the pen. But I have to consider what it will do to Gus if he gets to thinking he put her there. My feelings are, what is best for Gus? I would write the letter asking the court to limit her sentence so he won’t feel guilty putting his mother in prison for a long time.”

“For an accountant you’re pretty smart Ted.”

“Are you going to write the letter?”

“No, Gus will write the letter. He can tell the court what he wants to happen to her.”