Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Story Notes:

Your reviews and comments are very important and inspiriing to me. Even a few short words means so much. I will answer all comments; we have a lot of fun chatting in the reviews.

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Brian walked into the loft at 9 PM following having a few beers with the gang after work at his company Kinnetik Advertising. It was 17 days ago today when Justin flew to live in New York. He hung up his suit and took a long shower wishing it was a certain blond washing his body instead of him having to do it himself. Just as he was finishing with drying off the loft phone rang. He decided to let it go to voice mail.

 “Brian, call me when you get in; I need to talk to you tonight.” Justin’s soft voice sounded in the loft making Brian run to the phone and grabbing it before he hung up.

 “I’m here Justin; I was coming out of the shower. How’re you doing?”

 “Terrible Brian; this was a huge mistake coming to New York. I have no inspiration to paint. I’m so sad I don’t eat or sleep well. I want to come home if you’ll have me.”

 “Are you sure that’s what you want Justin? Oh course I’d love to have you home but what about your opportunities for the art world in New York?”

 “I never wanted to come to New York. Lindsay talked us into it. She took Gus to Canada away from you and talked us into sending me to New York. This was her dream; not mine. Would she leave Mel for a career move? Why should I do it? I know one thing; if I stay here I’m going downhill fast and we don’t want to see how I turn out.”

 “Do you want to come home tomorrow? I’ll book you an e-ticket online tonight and call you with the details; hell I’ll book it right now Justin.”

 “I wish I could come home right now. I miss you so much Brian.” Justin’s tears could be heard over the phone and it was breaking Brian’s heart. “I need to ship my stuff UPS to the loft in the morning and take a late afternoon flight from JFK tomorrow.”

 “I got a 6:10 PM with Liberty Air arriving here at 7:20 PM if that’s good for you.”

 “That’s perfect. I have another question for you. Can I work at Kinnetik in the art department? I want to work in advertising and help your company. I want to go back to school someday and major in marketing and advertising art.”

 “You’re hired after you take a few days to get settled in. Do you want to live at Britin?”

 “You didn’t put it on the market?”

 “Not yet; I was thinking about keeping it and maybe leasing it out or something.”

“I love Britin and would love to live there but I’d need wheels too.”

 “I’m sure we can take care of that. I’m really happy to get this call Justin. I miss and need you so much. Have you tricked with anyone?”

 “No; how about you?”

 “No way; I can’t stop thinking about you and wanting to be with you. We have to be more careful not to let other people come between us Brian no matter how good meaning they are. I don’t want to be the next Andy Warhol; I want to be your partner full time and work for you.”

 Your timing couldn’t be better; the art department is creating shit right now and I really need your input on some major accounts we have.”

 “I don’t need a few days to settle in Bri. I’ll need some clothes for work and I’m ready to start at once.”

 “Are you going to have any check in luggage?”

 “No; just a carryon bag.”

 “Ok; your ticket is done. Liberty Air flight 4522 to Pittsburgh leaving JFK at 6:10 Pm arriving at 7:20. It’s a first class window seat so enjoy the free drinks.”

 “I’ll eat first so I can drink without getting sick. Thank you Brian.”

 “I’m going to reopen Babylon Justin. Mickey talked me into it last week.”

 “I think you should and don’t let the haters win. Well I’m going to get some boxes and start packing up my stuff. Should I send it to Britin or the loft?”

“Send it to Kinnetik and I’ll get it delivered later to where we want it. I’m really happy knowing you’re coming home Justin. Damn the walls; I’ve missed you so much twat.”

“You too Bri. I can’t wait to get my hands on your body again. I have plans for your big cock.”

 “I have plans for your hot ass twink.”

 “Later; thank you Brian.”

 “Later” Brian hung up the phone smiling. Secretly he was hoping Justin would one day want to come home but he wasn’t going to stand in his way or his career. He knew Justin was crying by the tone of his voice. He sensed that Justin was expecting him to argue with him to stay in New York and give it a chance but in his heart he didn’t want to do that. He wanted Justin beside him as much as Justin wanted to be there. The two most important people in his life were taken away from him by Lindsay and quietly he was upset about it. It was an added bonus that Justin wanted to work in advertising too. He was in dire need of Justin’s talents at Kinnetik. The work his art department was creating was crap at best and Brian was in real trouble mentally losing it soon himself.

 Justin stopped crying the second he hung up his phone. He was thanking his lucky stars Brian didn’t make him stay in New York longer. He wasn’t totally honest with Brian; most of his things were still packed up in the same boxes that were shipped to New York in. He printed out the address for Kinnetik and called a 24 hour UPS store and arrange for them to pick up his boxes. There were some things he did need to pack up once he could find a couple of boxes for them so he did need time tomorrow to get that done after perhaps sleeping in and getting the first decent night’s sleep he would have in the big city.  After 3 days Justin knew moving to New York was a huge mistake and the remaining days was building up the courage to tell Brian his heart and mind had changed. He was very grateful Brian didn’t argue with him and that he was needed at Kinnetik too. To be honest Justin was very interested in advertising from his prior experience with the work and it was a great way to be with Brian and support his endeavors.

 Justin’s jet was 20 minutes late but not unexpected considering how airport delays go. Brian was waiting at the security exit area nearest his gate and baggage claim. When they saw each other it was at the same time Justin broke into a run and jumped into Brian’s waiting arms. Justin didn’t care who saw him as he kissed Brian with all the pent up passion he was feeling right now. They were apart less than 3 weeks but it felt like years to Justin.

 “You still don’t have any baggage?”

 “Nope; just this shoulder bag.”

 “Can you eat again? I haven’t eaten yet and I could use a bit of food.”

 “I can be persuaded to join you in a meal. Do you want to go to the diner or somewhere else?”

“I’m going to break my no carbs rule after 7 and grab a quick bit at the diner first and then we head to the loft to get reacquainted.”

 “Works for me; I’ve miss their cheeseburgers Brian. My stuff should arrive tomorrow.”

 “I got our tailor to make you a suit from your measurements and we still have your suit from the wedding reception at the loft. You can work in them until we buy some more clothes. You have two dress shirts at the loft.”

 “I got socks and underwear in this bag. I need dress shoes however.”

 “We can swing by a shoe store on the way to the diner right now.” Brian led Justin hand in hand out of the airport and soon they were in his Corvette driving back into Pittsburgh. Quickly they bought a pair of black dress shoes for the newest artist at Kinnetik Inc. and headed to Liberty Avenue and the diner.

“Fair warning Justin; Debbie’s working tonight.”

 “I have to face the gang eventually so let’s get it over with right now. I already called my Mom and told her I’d come by to see here on Saturday so I got that taken care of. She may have already told Debbie I was coming home.”

“Ted knows since I set up your new employee account today. We have to go car shopping soon.”

“It’ll be my pleasure to work under you Mr. Kinney. I’m expecting long hard hours deep into the night.” Brian smiled remembering those very words the last time Justin worked for him. Justin kept his hand on Brian’s thigh as he drove and parked the Vette at the diner. They got out of the car and with Justin in front they walked into the busy diner.

“Sunshine! Did you just get in?” Yelled the surrogate mother of all gay boys in Pittsburgh as she grabbed Justin’s neck and hugged him hard burying him into her chest. Justin was ready and took a deep breath before she made it impossible to breathe. Once she released him he could answer her.

“I just got in Debbie. Have you talked to my Mom yet?”

“She called me this morning right after talking with you. Are you here to eat?”

“Yes we are; even Brian will eat late tonight.” They walked over and with luck their favorite booth in the back was open so they sat down together.

“What do you want to drink first?”

“I’ll have a coke and water.” Justin told her.

“Bring me just a water Deb with lemon.” Brian added.

“Do you know what you want to eat yet?”

“My usual Debbie; cheeseburger with fries, mayo and no pickles.

“Give me a chicken sandwich with a side of whatever vegetable you got tonight.” Brian told her.

“I’ll have your drinks in just a second. Let me get your orders in first.” Debbie walked away toward the kitchen window and hit the bell then handed the ticket to the cook. She looked back and saw the boys kissing like they were the only people in the café. Their love made her smile. Truth be told she was worried about Brian losing both Justin and Gus in the same week. When he almost never came out to the clubs or diner she sent Michael to check on him at the loft. That was when he talked Brian into reopening Babylon.

“It’s so good to be home Brian. I should have never left in the first place.”

“That’s behind us now baby; we can start over where we left off. I hope you don’t mind going to work tomorrow because I really need you on the job.”

“Let me guess; you tell the art department what you want and they bring you their own ideas that have nothing to do with yours.”

“You got it on the first guess Sunshine. The head of the department isn’t what I want. I have to replace him as soon as possible. The quality of my people went into the gutter the day I hired him. I want to hear what you find out working in there tomorrow.”

“I’ll do what I can for you. Will he know we live together?”

“Your picture’s in my office so he probably will and the office gossip will be announcing my boytoy is working there now. He won’t know your talent or experience however. I’d like to see how he treats you on the job. I’m putting you in charge of the biggest account right off the bat. That’ll not set well with him but his work was shit. Don’t let him get to you if he talks crap.”

“If I could put up with Michael all these years I can put up with anybody.” Just then the door bell rang and Michael with Ben in tow walked into the diner.

“Speak of the devil and he appears.” Brian said as Michael noticed his best friend with the blond at the back booth and walked over uninvited and sat down across from the lovers.

“Heah boy wonder; when did you get to town?”

“I just got here.”

“How long are you staying for?”

“I’m coming home for good.”

“So New York was too much for you huh?”

“Michael, that wasn’t a very nice thing to say. Welcome home Justin; I’m glad to see you.” Ben was always the voice of reason. He reached over the table and shook Justin’s hand.

“Thank you Ben; no it wasn’t the city since I should have never gone there in the first place. My place is with Brian.”

“Well he was doing fine without you. He would have gotten over you in no time but now that won’t happen.”

“Fuck you Michael; this is Justin you’re talking to. I’ve had it with your jabs at him. Give me the key to the loft you have right now.” The tone of Brian’s voice left no argument but Michael wasn’t hearing it.

“What crawled up your ass and died Brian? We’ve always carried on like this; I’m not being serious about it.”

“No, you have always carried on like this and I’m not standing for it anymore. Give me my key now!” Michael removed the key from his ring and handed it to Brian who in turn handed it to Justin. Justin put the key on his key ring and stayed silent and out of the conversation. He knew when Brian was using this tone of voice not to interrupt him or argue with him.

“I’m sorry Brian; I was only joking with boy wonder.”

“You meant every word of it and the apology’s owed to Justin; not me.” Brian stared at his old friend trying not to let his temper get out of control. “We decided to bring Justin home; he will be living and working with me full time; we don’t need outside people telling us how to live or watching our every move. I don’t need you calling me constantly at work, the loft or on my cell phone wanting to go out and shit. Don’t call me; I’ll call you Michael from now on. Do I make myself clear?”

“OK Brian; calm down for Christ’s sake. I didn’t do anything to you.”

“If you hurt Justin you hurt me. We’re done letting other people tell us how to live our lives and what to do. You aren’t the only one who’ll get these instructions. I’m making major changes and the only one central in my life is Justin. You have the good professor and Hunter to think about and stay out of our business. Now if we got that settled you’re welcome to sit there and eat with us.”

“How’s school going Ben? I plan to start classes next semester in advertising and marketing.” Justin attempted to steer the conversation away from the conflict Michael had caused and Ben gladly helped him.

“Very good Justin; the university has an excellent marketing program. I assume you want to specialize in graphic arts?”

“You’re right; I’m going into advertising full time and working at Kinnetik starting tomorrow.” Debbie came over and sat down their meals and took Ben and Michael’s orders. As they started to eat Ted and Emmett walked into the diner.

“Oh baby! It’s so good to see you again. Look Teddy, Justin’s here.” Emmett leaned down and hugged the blond until Brian removed his arms. “You just have to love a possessive man honey.”

“Hello Justin; welcome home. I for one am damn glad to see you and hear you’re coming to work for us. Our weakest link’s the art department right now and you couldn’t have arrived at a better time.” Ted reached over and shook Justin’s hand. He was not saying all he knew but he knew Justin would soon see what was wrong at Kinnetik.

“We’ll sit in that booth and you guys can sit with Brian and Justin.” Ben then got up and moved Michael out of the booth and let Ted and Emmitt sit down. He sensed they didn’t really want to eat with Michael right now and this made it possible to change things without it being obvious.

“How is the catering business doing Em?” Justin asked his old friend.

“Marvelous honey; I have appointments coming out of my rear and I’m booked solid for the next month. You would not believe the crazy ways people want to get married these days. Are you here to stay?”

“Yes, I’ve moved home for good and I’m not leaving again.” Justin said as he grabbed Brian’s hand and kissed it.

“Will I be rebooking a gay wedding anytime soon?” Emmett smiled as he dropped the question on the boys. Brian and Justin looked at each other and laughed.

“Maybe Em; I’ll keep you informed if we decide on a date.” Justin was smiling from ear to ear on that comment coming from Brian. Michael overhead him and was beside himself with shock. He started to say something but Ben stopped him before the words formed in his mouth. “We have problems to deal with at work first before we make any major decisions about stuff like that.”

“I’m so glad you’re back. We must go out and celebrate soon. I love your hair. I hope you don’t plan to cut it again. Long hair looks so good on you.”

“Thanks; it depends how Brian wants it to look what I do with it.”

“You boys just going to squat or do you want something?” Debbie walked up to take their orders.

“We’re just having coffee and waters Debbie.” Ted told her.

“Coming right up boys.” Debbie then went and poured their drinks and brought them over.

“Heah boy wonder; do you want to work on another issue of Rage this week? I got some ideas for the next issue.” Michael tried to recover from his previous fuck up with Brian and Justin.

“I won’t have time Michael. I don’t want to do Rage anymore. You best find another artist to do the comics with.”

“But you planned to work with me when you were going to New York.”

“Things change Michael. I’m going to be too busy working with Kinnetik and soon going to school as well.”

“Well that just fucking sucks Justin. I needed that income from the comics to keep my store open.”

“Your financial problems are not our concern Michael. Justin will be too busy working for me and fucking me to do your comics so get over it right now.” Brian shot back at the immature man.

“Did I just walk into the middle of something?” Emmett asked.

“Just the same usual shit Em, don’t get up or worry about it.” Brian told him as he calmed down and finished his meal. Both Brian and Justin ate fast so they could get to the loft as fast as possible.

“Everything is ready for you Justin when you plan to start at work. I need four signatures and you’re all set to start.” Ted told the blond making him smile.

“Not that it matters but what’s the starting salary for a new artist these days?” Ted looked over at Brian not knowing what to say.

“You’re hired as the new assistant director of the art department for $52,000 a year Justin. Todd, the present director is a piece of shit and I want you to have more authority in the department from day one. I fired his crony today and let me tell you I loved doing it. Todd wasn’t too happy but his days are numbered anyway.”

“Wow; I wasn’t expecting that Brian. Do you think I can do the job of assistant director?”

“I wouldn’t have hired you if I didn’t. I have serious problems in that department and I want you in there to help me fix it pronto. I don’t have time to play politics and figure it out myself. You’ll understand once you’re on the job tomorrow. No matter what realize he can’t fire you Justin but I didn’t let him know that or that I hired you to work there as the assistant director. He’s going to try to kiss your ass and get in your good graces but don’t let him snow you. Find out what’s wrong so we can fix it and build a winning team.”

“I’ll do my best Brian; you know that.” Justin looked at his lover and grinned at him. “I plan to show you some of my best work tonight.”

“If you don’t get it right the first time you’ll have to do it again.”

“I’m counting on it.” Justin then kissed Brian on the mouth and fed him a French fry. Justin’s cell phone rang and he saw it was his mother.

“Hi Mom; yes I got in ok safe and sound. I’m with Brian now at the diner and we’re headed to the loft next.”

“Thanks for calling your mother and letting her know your plane landed safely.”

“You’re a WASP Mom; Jewish guilt trips don’t look good on you. How are Molly and Tucker?”

“They’re fine son and looking forward to seeing you Saturday. Will Brian be joining you?”

“Will you have lunch with me at my Mom’s house Saturday Brian?”

“If you want me there.”

“Brian will be with me too Mom. Can we make if for two in the afternoon?”

“Sure we can; I guess you might want to sleep in that morning.”

“I don’t want to be rushed to get up and go.”

“Well I won’t keep you since I know you just got in. Tell Brian hello for me and give him my love.”

“Will do Mom, goodbye.” Justin closed his phone. “She sends her love and hello.”

“We should go shopping for your car tomorrow too.”

“I’m happy with a used one that can carry a canvas in.”

“And I’ll be happy with a new one that will make it to West Virginia safely for years.”

“Should I get a minivan for the children?”

“Are you planning on stopping your birth control without discussing it with me?”

“Perhaps I should work for a while before you knock me up.”

“That would be a good plan Sunshine. Well boys, I have a hot date to take home right now. Theodore, I don’t have a meeting until 10 so we might be a little late getting in tomorrow. Make sure Justin’s office is ready for him and the computer is set up for him to use. You can tell Todd I hired a new assistant director but don’t tell him who it is or anything.”

“Will do boss; the guys in the art department who know Justin will be thrilled to see him too.” Brian put a fifty dollar bill on the table and they got up to leave. As they walked by Ben and Michael they said nothing but Justin waved goodbye to Ben. Michael was beyond pissed at being ignored.

“Well it’s a brighter world knowing they got back together again.” Emmitt was gushing with joy.

“Oh spare me your fucking rose colored glasses Em; he’s still the trick that won’t leave.” Michael was mad and it showed. Ben just shook his head in sadness for his lover’s attitude.

“Debbie, make our meals to go; I want to go home now.” Ben was not staying with Michael in public talking this way about his friend Justin.

“Let me tell you something Michael; they’ve been together for most of five years and you still can’t see how much in love they are and how good Justin is for Brian. You’re so jealous of him you can’t see straight and I have every right to be happy for them you damn sour puss. I was going to ask you out for a drink but I think I can find better company to spend my time with.” Emmett let him have it with both barrels. “Come on Teddy, it’s getting a bit too stuffy for me in here.” Emmett threw a five dollar bill on the table and walked out without saying another word or even giving his friend and ex-roommate a glance.

“You’ll never learn to keep your damn mouth shut will you Michael?” Debbie heard every word tonight. “I know for a fact Justin was planning to draw for Rage but you had to go and fuck that up for yourself. I hope you and Ben can get by without the added income now because that boy will not change his mind.” Debbie finished her piece and walked off to take care of other customers. Once the meals were ready she took them over to Ben and Michael. Ben handed her a twenty and they left after Ben hugged Debbie but Michael didn’t even say goodnight to his mother.

Brian and Justin ran into the loft and began to remove their clothing rapidly. In no time they were on the bed and Brian was preparing Justin for a good fucking as the boy/man moaned loud with Brian’s fingers inside him. Brian put on the condom and lubed up and slowly entered his lover with care waiting for him to adjust. Justin was incredibly tight and hot.  The first fuck was like animals; fast and rough as Brian took him from the rear pounding his lover into the mattress. Justin was in heaven with Brian inside him again. The second fuck was slow and loving as Brian took his time to make it really good for Justin and they climaxed together. They took a quick shower and went to bed after setting the alarm. Justin spooned in front of Brian with his arms around him and quickly the boy fell to sleep and sleep soundly all night long.

The next morning Brian woke up feeling Justin sucking his cock like a master. There was ten minutes before the alarm would sound. In no time Brian shot his load and moved Justin down so he could return the morning favor.  They had a quick shower and decided to get right to work on time after stopping in at the diner for coffee and a bite of breakfast. Justin had a good breakfast while Brian had toast with his coffee.  When they walked into Kinnetik Cynthia walked up to Brian and Justin.

“Todd called in sick this morning and won’t be to work today. Hello Justin, welcome aboard; it seems the art department is all yours from day one.”

“Shit; this is probably a good thing. Let’s get you set up at the department right now. Ted can get your signatures later.” Brian led his lover to the art department and the moment he walked in you could hear a pin drop in the room.

“This is Justin Taylor and he’s you new assistant director. Yes, for those of you who know him he’s also my partner. Todd called in sick today. I’m going to brief Justin what I want with your projects and he will then review what you have done so far. Get ready to show him what you have in one half hour. Justin, here is your new office and desk.” Brian led his lover into a room that was larger than Justin expected. “When you come back sometime today enter your passwords for the computer and let me know what they are. Don’t tell anyone else especially Todd.”

“Ok Mr. Kinney.” Justin said smiling as he ran his hand down Brian’s back.

“You can call me Brian at work Justin; we’re on a first name basis on the job here.”

“But I like calling you Mr. Kinney when I’m working under you sir.” Justin gave him his million watt sunshine smile and Brian knew he was going to have a very good day.

“Let’s go to my office so we can discuss the accounts and what I’m looking for with the art.” They left the department and very quickly Brian showed him the existing accounts and Justin took detailed notes as Brian described what he wanted in the art work. Nothing was particularly hard to do.

“Do you think Todd is really sick Brian?”

“Fuck no; he’s mad I fired the man he hired to be his assistant director. It’s his lover.”

“Oh shit! I bet he’s out looking for another job right now.”

“I bet he’s going to need one real soon. I was going to replace them anyway.”

“I know the art requirements Brian but not the business side of things. I can guide the artists and all, but the paperwork will be another matter for me.”

“We can find someone to do that; getting the talent I have producing is the important thing right now. Go down there and kick some asses and bring me some results this afternoon.” Justin kissed Brian and left to do his job. One by one Justin reviewed the ongoing projects the artists had created. He was beginning to see a common problem with all their work and called a group meeting.

“Guys, none of your work is following Brian’s suggestions. He told me he sent his instructions here and you aren’t following them. Does anyone know why that’s happening?” One artist who knew Justin wasn’t afraid of him and spoke up.

“Brian gives the instructions to Todd who then tells us what to do. They Brian comes down here and chews out our asses when we don’t get it right and Todd swears the instructions are now changed and blames Brian for doing it. Brian’s mad and we only get his ideas under pressure and fuck up again and again since he’s hard to understand when he’s shouting at us threatening to fire us. I don’t care if Todd fires me; that’s the truth Justin.”

“If you agree that’s how it is just nod your head.” Every member of the department nodded his head. “Ok, things are changing around here. I know what Brian wants. I’m going to work with each one of you and by the end of the day we will have ready mock ups for Brian to review for each project. Let’s go to work men.” Justin then went from team to team correcting their work. Most had to be scraped and started over again. It was apparent to Justin that Todd was creating his own ideas for the art and they were stupid; nothing was funny, edgy, or original. Justin brainstormed with the artists and they came up with some really excellent ideas and the workers jumped on the creative spirit the blond shared with them. By lunch time they were well on their way creating at least one board for Brian’s review. The entire team decided to order quick take out and to continue working. Justin had a lunch date with Brian.

“How are things in the department?”

“You have a lot of very good talent there Brian. It seems Todd ignores your directions and tells them what he wants for the art to look like and you get mad and come down there believing the artists are doing it when it’s Todd setting up the fucked work. They he gets to look good blaming you for changing the instructions on him. The problem isn’t the body of the snake; the problem is the head.”

“I expected something like that. How much time do you need to turn it around for me?”

“We threw out all of his work and started over with my direction and your instructions. The department is skipping lunch to work through and I’ll have mock ups for your review this afternoon.”

“You don’t have to rush things Justin. We have a few days to get it right.”

“I didn’t claim they’ll be finished projects; you can see them and make recommendations on a board or idea. I know each one’s a work in progress. The department’s really excited to know in advance what you truly expect and they want to show you what they can really do for you. Not one man had a kind word for Todd, Brian.”

“Do you feel capable taking on the entire department right now without Todd’s help?”

“I can handle the art and the artists Brian; I can’t do budgets and paperwork at the same time. If I can focus just working with the teams I’ll give you the results you want.”

“So if we get you a secretary to do the paperwork allowing you to do the art projects you can make the department work out?”

“You have some very smart people in there with great ideas. Todd was holding them back instead of leading them. I have a feeling you might not have a clue how good your people are in that department. I only see one person who might be marginal at best but he’s new and afraid of his job right now. I might get him to settle down and see what he really can do. I see one man who would make an excellent assistant director in my absence. You don’t need to hire one if I take on the department totally but I do want a Cynthia of my own.”

“I want to see what you produce before I make my decision. When will the boards be ready for my review?”

“Will three PM be soon enough for you?”

“That’ll be perfect Justin. I have an opening at three for you and your work.” They finished their lunch and returned back to the office.  Justin announced the three PM deadline and the atmosphere in the art department kicked into high gear getting the work ready. Nobody even took a break wanting to create the best project they could on time. Most of the artists didn’t need any more help from Justin so he spent most of his time with the nervous new guy.

“Gary, I want you to calm down and stop worrying about your job. Just concentrate on the project. Why are you so upset if I may ask?”

“Mr. Kinney said if I fuck up one more time I’d be fired. I did what Todd told me to do and then he blamed me for doing it. I’m between a rock and hard place and I really need this job Justin.”

“Brian’s my lover and I can talk him out of letting you go; so stop worrying. Let’s look at your work.” Gary’s project was a furniture store wanting to expand and attract a younger market. Brian wants an ad that will appeal to straights and gays. Todd only wanted to create an ad for straights. Justin looked at the photos created for the possible ads. “How good are you with Photo Shop?”

“I had two semesters in college. I can do anything the program can do.”

“Ok, I got an idea. Take this photo with a straight couple and superimpose this man next to the other man on the bed like their having a three way or something. Both guys are really hot looking and there’s enough room on the bed for another body. Get on it and I’ll check on it later.”

“Todd will hate it.”

“Just do it; I think Brian will love it. If not I’ll tell him it was my idea. You won’t get blamed for it.”

“Ok Justin, I’ll have it done in twenty minutes.”

“To be safe make a second board of just the straight couple trying out the bed in the store.”

“Todd told me to use the slogan ‘We have the finest beds in town.’ I have another idea.”

“What is it?”

“Where Lovers Shop.”

“Perfect Gary, couples and people looking for love will like it. Use your idea on the boards with script font. Good work Gary; that was very creative. It’s funny now, and edgy especially with the three of them in bed.” Justin walked from team to team watching their work and making small comments, encouragements and suggestions for improvements. By two forty in the afternoon all the boards were ready. Gary helped Justin take them to the conference room and set them up once he was sure the room was free. Five minutes early Justin knocked on Brian’s door.

“Enter”

“I have the mock ups ready for you in the conference room Brian.” Justin was carrying a notepad to take any notes Brian might give him on the work. Brian looked at his watch and smiled. He followed Justin into the conference room. Brian stood in front of the first board.

“This is almost perfect and exactly what I wanted. Raise the font to twenty and a shade lighter blue.” Then he walked to the second one. “This is funny and perfect. Don’t change a thing.” Next he walked to the third board. “I like the concept and idea of it but we need a younger model for the ads. This girl is too old for the products.”

“Todd selected her.”

“Well I’m removing her. Teenage girls are the highest buyers of cosmetics; not middle aged women. I told him I wanted a teenage model.” Brian then walked to the next board. “These are really good Justin. Raise the background shade two levels and don’t change a thing. The client will love it.” Then he walked to the last one. “Ha! This is fucking genius; who did this?”

“Gary, the new guy you promised to fire the next time he fucked up. He’s the one I said was marginal. Todd was steering him totally off you instructions. I had the idea of three in bed but the slogan was all his.”

“I might want to do a new photo shot with better models and all of them in bed together so the picture is excellent quality but the ideas are fucking brilliant. Tell Gary I’m very impressed and in fact tell your entire department I’ve very impressed Justin.” Just then Cynthia entered the room.

“Brian, Todd is here and he wants to see you.”

“Send him in.” Todd entered the room and was shocked when he looked at all the new mock ups for the existing accounts.

“What can I do for you Todd?”

“You have to give Randy back his job or I have to quit Brian.”

“I’m not hiring back your lover. I don’t need him.”

“Well here is my resignation and six week’s notice.”

“I accept your resignation but waive the six week notice. Go clean out your desk but first give me your keys. Remember your confidentiality clause.”

“You owe me the six weeks; it’s in my contact.”

“No, you owe me six week’s notice; I don’t owe you shit. Read your contract; hand over the keys now and get your shit and leave the property. I’ll have Ted cut your final check.” Todd removed the keys and handed them to Brian who in turn gave them to Justin who put them in his pocket. “Let me introduce you to the new director of the art department Justin Taylor.”

“You’re making a huge mistake Brian. Nobody can make them work like I can down there.”

“Thanks for resigning first. I don’t have to pay you unemployment insurance now. And don’t ask for a reference because you won’t like the one you get. Go clean out your desk now!” Todd left the room and headed to the art department fuming with anger. He was certain he could make Brian hire back his lover with the threat of leaving him. Too many projects were outstanding with close deadlines. “Come on Justin; you have paperwork to sign and Ted has a check to write.” Once outside Brian went to his girl Cyn. “Tell security to escort Todd out of the building once he has his shit packed up and to stay with him constantly.”

“Will do boss.” Brian and Justin walked into Ted’s office.

“Here is Todd’s resignation and he won’t be staying his six weeks. Cut his final check up to today. Justin is now the art director.”

“Ok Brian. Justin, here’s the contract so you can read it while I write Todd’s check. What salary will Justin be starting at?”

“The same as Todd had including the sign on bonus. Also write a moving allowance from New York too.”

“Will do boss. That’s two checks to write. Congratulations Justin; we’re delighted you’re here.”

“I hear the boss is a big prick but I know I can handle it.” Justin said grinning as he kissed his lover in front of Ted.

“I love my job.” Ted whispered smiling as he went to work on the checks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

My reward for writing is your reviews.