Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

This story is completed.  Hope you enjoyed the ride.  Feedback is welcome and appreciated.  Thank you for your support.  A special thanks to Michelle my beta and friend.

Jennifer smiled for the first time since their conversation began.  Justin had always had a stubborn streak as a little boy.  It was no surprise that he was just as determined now.

"When will you be leaving?"  

"The day after tomorrow.   So, you're really okay with this?"  

"I admit I did have my reservations, but somehow I think you'll be just fine."  

"Thanks, Mom.  I love you."  

"I love you too, sweetheart," Jennifer said as she caressed the side of her son's face with her hand.   

 

The day of their departure had quickly arrived.  Justin was filled with a sense of hope for his new path in life, but also a sense of guilt for leaving Molly and Jennifer behind.

"That's it," Brian announced.  "We're all set."

"Great.  I'll be ready in a minute.  I want to say goodbye to my family."

"Sure, take all the time you need," Brian generously stated.  "I'll wait outside for you."  He knew how the kid had agonized over his decision and didn't want to rush things. 

Justin hugged his mother and sister, reluctant to let them go. 

"I'm going to miss you both so much," he confessed.

"Take care of yourself," Jennifer said.

"Yeah, Jus.  Make us proud," Molly added. 

"Justin," Jennifer called when he was about to turn and leave.

"Mom?"

"Here, take this."  Jennifer pressed a wad of crisp bills into his hand.  "Your father would have wanted you to have this."

"Mom, you keep it.  You and Molly can use it."

"No honey, we have plenty."  She continued sadly, "Your father was a traditional man, Justin.   He was too proud to accept that his son preferred to be with men rather than women.  It was impossible for him to reconcile it in his mind.  He...he didn't hate you.  He hated the lifestyle you chose."

Jennifer curled her hand, closing his hand over the money.  

"Please...take it."

Justin looked down at his closed fist and mumbled his thanks in a voice that was barely audible.  He was definitely going to talk with Brian about moving the rest of the Taylor clan to New York, once they got settled.

While her mother and brother were having their heart to heart talk, Molly managed to sneak outside to corner Brian alone.

"Hey, Freckles," the older man greeted as he raised his brows in curiosity. 

"Brian, I want to  make sure..."

"I know," he cut her off.  "I promise to do a better job of looking after your brother, especially since I don't ever want to piss you off."

Molly gave a sly smile.  Brian was really growing on her.  Not only was she going to miss Justin terribly, but she was going to miss having Brian around as well. 

Brian ruffled Molly's hair in a brotherly display of affection.  Behind her, he noticed Justin emerge from within the ranch, his arm about his mother's shoulders.

"Ready to go, Mr. Taylor?"

Justin nodded.  The warm timbre of Brian's voice made him break out into a cheeky grin.

In an all too familiar scenario, they mounted their horses and were on their way.  It was going to take them at least a couple of days to get to Denver, where they could catch a train to New York.

 

There was a comfortable silence between the two of them as they traveled onward.  It was going to be a long and arduous journey, but Justin knew they could handle it. 

After traveling for most of the day, they stopped to set up camp.  The sun had set, giving way to a chilled night.  Brian was carefully laying his blankets out on the ground near a large boulder.

Justin stood in the moonlight admiring Brian at work.  The brunet sensed his lover's eyes boring into his back and whirled around to address him.

"I suppose we should build a fire," he said, recalling the last time they had traveled together.

"Nah, I don't think that will be necessary."

"Why the hell not?  It's certainly cold enough and we're not being hunted anymore."  He wondered what the kid was up to.

Justin stepped closer to Brian.  Soon he was face to face with him, a smile tugging at his lips.

"I thought it might be nice to find another way to keep warm."

"Hmmm..." Brian said, the light finally dawning on him.  "I like the way your mind thinks."

"Thought you'd see things my way."

And there it was, that big sunshine smile Brian couldn't resist.  He couldn't suppress his own crooked, little smile when he pulled Justin into a fierce kiss.

Some time later when they were panting and sweaty, Brian asked Justin, "So, did I sufficiently warm you up?"

"It'll do for now..." Justin said coyly.  He curled into the protective warmth of Brian's body. 

Brian pulled the blanket over both of them and wrapped his arm around Justin's waist, so that his body was shielding Justin's.

"Brian," Justin said.

"Mmmm?" Brian hummed into a mess of blond hair.

"Do you think you'll like being a businessman?"

"I've always been a businessman, only this time I'll be negotiating prices for lumber instead of my services."

"Yeah, I guess."

Justin tried to fall asleep but he couldn't.  He lay there with his eyes open and his mind racing.

"Brian, you still awake?" he inquired in a soft voice.

"Um...yeah.  A certain blond suddenly can't seem to stop talking."

"Sorry."

"Something bothering you?"

"I was just wondering, what if you don't like living with me?  We haven't known each other for very long."

Brian huffed.  Seems that Justin wasn't going to let him get any sleep tonight.

"Can you cook?"

"Yes," Justin answered.  "I'm actually pretty good."

"Hmmm...    Will you blow me every morning?"

Justin giggled, "Jerk."  He nudged Brian with his elbow.

"Answer the question," Brian pressed.  "Will you?"

"Jeez, when have I ever refused?"

"Well then, there's nothing to worry about.  We'll get along just fine."

"Is that all it takes to please you, Mr. Kinney?" Justin said, slightly amused.

"Just about."

"Hell, I would have kidnapped you had I known that."

"Hmph...now go to sleep, kid."

"Well, that's going to be a problem because I'm not really tired.  Perhaps it was all that talk about blow jobs?"

"Well, if you can't sleep I'm going to have to find some way of shutting you up," Brian warned as he propped himself up.  Then, he pulled Justin back, so he was forced to look up at him.   

"Really?" Justin said in a challenging tone, his eyes twinkling with mischief. 

Brian put his tongue to cheek and predicted, "I think New York is going to be very interesting."

"Promise?" Justin teased.

Brian grabbed both of Justin's hands and pinned them above him.  Then his mouth came crashing down on those cherry lips, until they were both light headed.  

"Promise," Brian vowed in a breathless whisper against Justin's ear.   

For a moment, Brian closed his eyes and rested his forehead against the blond's.  At the beginning of all this, he never imagined that he would find his lover, best friend and companion all in one very special young man named Justin Taylor.  

As it transitioned into the early morning hours, they melded into each other once again, under a charcoal sky.  This time it was tender, slow and sensuous.   

The early sun peeked out and brought the beginning of a beautiful day.  With no more barriers left between them, the two lovers packed up their belongings and headed towards their exciting new life...together.