Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Brian knelt on the floor next to Justin and propped him up against the wall.  He knew immediately that Molly had been right to worry.  Justin's complexion was ghastly.  His breathing was shallow and there was a gaping hole where a bullet was still lodged in his left side.  Brian grew even more alarmed when he noticed a dark, crimson stain that was spreading and beginning to saturate Justin's shirt.   

"Oh my God, Justin!" Molly gasped.

Brian grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her.  

"We have to get him to a doctor.  Can you tell me where to go?"  

She nodded and turned to stare again at her wounded brother.  His body slumped to the floor.  Molly screamed.  

Reaching out to Justin, Brian felt for a pulse and reassured her, "He's still alive.  He just passed out, probably from losing so much blood."   He wisely neglected to add that if they didn't get her brother tended to soon, he would surely bleed to death.  

"Get a towel to use as a compress."  

 Molly ran upstairs and came back with a large towel.  

"Good.  Now press it against his wound, like this," Brian instructed.

By then the house servant had reappeared and was able to help.  Together, they carried Justin to a wagon.  Molly rode in the back with her brother, applying pressure to the gunshot wound.   Brian and the servant sat up front.   

The wagon flew into motion.  It went over several bumps causing Molly to chide, "Careful!"  

"We don't have time to be careful," Brian said sharply.  

Molly and Brian waited in another room while Dr. Graham examined Justin.  They didn't dare engage in conversation or even look at each other, since they were both on edge.  

The doctor eventually came out to talk to them, imparting details of Justin's condition.  

"I need to remove the bullet and stop the bleeding."  

"Can we see him before you work on him?" Molly requested.  

"Yes, but make it brief."  

"Thank you, doctor," they said in unison.     

Molly went in first.  She came out a few minutes later with tears cascading down her cheeks.  Brian quietly passed by her to enter the room next.  

Staring at Justin's still form he remarked aloud, "You just had to play hero, didn't you?"   

He let out an uneasy breath and placed his hand over Justin's.  Moving to the side of his bed, Brian leaned forward to whisper in his ear.  

"Don't you die on me, kid.  You and I have unfinished business."     

The older man squeezed the young man's hand tightly before he left.  

An hour and a half later, the doctor informed them that the bullet had been successfully removed and the bleeding stanched.  All they could do now was wait for Justin to wake up.  However, there was still a chance of complications.  

In the meantime, the servant went to fetch Jennifer Taylor with the wagon.  Jennifer had been at a neighbor's home.  Upon hearing the news, she prayed all the way to the doctor's residence.  Jennifer pushed the door open and spotted Molly and Brian.  As she joined them in their vigil, she embraced her distraught daughter.  Jennifer tilted her head up at Brian and nodded in acknowledgment.  Brian admired her composure as she listened stoically when Molly recounted what the doctor had said.  The Taylors were certainly an impressive lot.  

For the next few hours they took turns sitting with Justin.  It was approaching eleven o'clock, so Brian suggested that the Taylor women go home to get some rest.  He promised he would watch over Justin until they returned.   

Jennifer was going to protest, but then glanced thoughtfully at her weary daughter.  The young girl had been through a harrowing ordeal and looked exhausted.   

"Alright, Brian.  We'll be back as soon as we can."  

For the remainder of the evening, Brian sat by Justin's bedside.  At one o'clock in the morning, there was still no sign of Justin waking.  Trying to fight the urge to sleep, Brian decided to talk to the unconscious young man.  

"You know, I was doing perfectly fine until you came into my life, kid.  You made me think about what was missing.  I never knew I was capable of feeling protective of someone else, or that I could need someone so much."  

Justin's eyes flickered and then opened. 

"Don't let me interrupt you," he said as if he just woke up from a nap.   His throat was dry, so the timber of his voice had a raspy quality to it.

"How much did you hear?" Brian frowned.  

"Enough," Justin answered.  Then he shyly inquired, "Do you really feel that way about me?"  

Since he had nearly lost Justin, it made Brian regret not having told the blond how he felt.  Now was the perfect time to make amends.   Brian's lip curled in and he expelled an anxious breath.   

"Ya know...I've gotten used to having you around.  But in answer to your question, you've come to mean a great deal to me.  I don't know how the fuck you did it, but you did."  

"Is that the Kinney way of trying to tell me you love me too, Brian?" Justin said sporting a grin.  

The older man chuckled.  Justin's grin was getting wider by the minute, and it thawed his heart to see the kid so happy.  Brian rubbed his hand over his face and surrendered to his feelings.   

"Fuck...I guess you deserve the truth after what you've been through."  

His fingers gently brushed Justin's golden strands from his face.  Brian hesitated as he stared into the bluest eyes he'd ever seen and swallowed hard.  He finally mustered up his courage and proclaimed in a distinct, clear voice, "I love you, Justin Taylor.  I can't imagine living life without you in it."  

Justin was flabbergasted and couldn't speak for a moment.   When he found his voice again he said,  "Wow, I never thought I'd hear Brian Kinney being all sentimental.  It's kinda weird, but nice."  

"Yeah well, just don't get too used to it, twat," Brian said jovially.  

"Wouldn't dream of it."    

 

A few days later, when he was strong enough to move, Justin returned home.  Brian accompanied him, and planned to remain at the Taylor ranch to help with his recuperation.  His mother and sister were looking forward to taking advantage of the opportunity to dote on him. 

Justin walked through the doors of his home, leaning most of his weight on Brian.  To his relief, there was barely a trace of the traumatic turn of events that had occurred that fateful night.  The local sheriff and his men, as well as the Taylor's trusted servant had all conspired with Brian while the Taylor women were visiting with Justin. 

The dead and wounded had been carted off.  However a small stain remained faintly visible on the rug where Stockwell had breathed his last breath.  Justin was still having a hard time wrapping his mind around the fact that his little sister was responsible for Stockwell's demise.  Thank God everything had worked out in the end.

Jennifer Taylor had known about her son's sexual preference for several years.  She still loved him unconditionally and wanted him to be happy.  However, it was only recently that she had been forced to come to terms with the truth.  The evidence of how he chose to live his life was becoming blatantly obvious.   

There was not doubt in her mind that Justin was in love with Brian Kinney.  In fact, he was obsessed with him.  While this notion upset her at first, her son was an adult.  He had a right to make his own decisions whether she agreed with them or not.  Since she had always trusted Justin's judgment, she reasoned that if he loved Brian, there must be something redeeming about the man.   

While she still harbored some reservations about Brian, Jennifer had to admit that he appeared to be just as enamored with her son.  When he thought she wasn't looking, he would steal a kiss from Justin, or touch his hand in a familiar way.  What convinced her the most about his sincerity was his eyes.  His hazel orbs lit up every time he looked at Justin.  There was also a tenderness there that made her believe that he would never harm her son.  

One particularly crisp Autumn day, Jennifer sensed that something was amiss.  Her oldest child approached and took her hands in his own.  He had a strange expression on his face.  Even though Jennifer had known it was coming, it was still difficult for her to hear.     

"We need to talk," her son said.   

"You're making me nervous, Justin.  Although I think perhaps I already know what you're going to say."  

"Mom, I don't think it's a huge secret that I'm in love with Brian."  He paused for a moment to gauge her reaction before continuing, "...and he's in love with me."  

"I figured as much.  But honey, he's a hired gun.  What kind of a future will you have with him?"  

"To be honest, we've been discussing it a lot.  Brian is prepared to give up this life and start fresh someplace else.  Someplace where no one will know him or us."  

"Well...I see."  

"I promise to visit and write as often as I can, but I need to live my own life."  

Jennifer appeared to be deep in thought.  Tears welled up in her eyes as she spoke.

"I suppose you're right.  It's just that...I'll miss you.  Where will you go?"  

"We've decided to go East, to New York.  I'm going to study my art and Brian has enough money saved to start his own lumber business."  

"You've thought of everything, haven't you?"  

"We've tried."   

"I just want you to be happy," Jennifer sighed.  

"Brian makes me happy, Mom.  This is my chance to have everything I never thought I could have."