Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

The house was unusually quiet, especially with Molly and Jennifer gone.  Just a few short hours ago, Brian had been forced to suffer through a ridiculous display of affection between Justin and the remaining members of his family.  The way the Taylors had clung to each other and declared their love had made him quite uncomfortable.  

He had thought he was making a clever escape from within the midst of all the sentimentality, when Molly Taylor promptly caught him by the arm.   

"You'll see to it that my brother doesn't get himself killed!" she warned.  

Brian amusingly raised his eyebrows at the young girl's bravado.  Justin's little sister had a vise-like grip on his arm, the arm of a admitted hired gunslinger, yet she was the one issuing threats.  Brian almost started to chortle, but managed to suppress his mirth.  Instead, he looked her squarely in the eyes and earnestly said,"I wouldn't worry too much, Freckles, he seems to be able to take care of himself."  

Molly thought about that for a moment before she shook her head in agreement.  "Still," she intimated in a low growl, "I'm holding you personally responsible for whatever happens."  She released her grip with an icy glare to further emphasize her point.  

"Understood," he acknowledged with a faint smirk.  

"Molly," Justin beckoned from the other end of the room.  "You and mom need to be on your way."  

The fiery redhead cast a deceivingly sweet smile at Brian and replied, "Coming."  Brian could only shake his head at her antics as he watched her leave.    

Justin was a bundle of nervous energy.  Their plan had been set into motion.  Getting his mother and sister safely out of the way was merely the first step.   

Word had been sent to Stockwell that Jennifer Taylor was ready to see him and give him an answer.  A short while later, a reply came through a scrawny blond haired messenger that Stockwell would be by first thing in the morning, close to nine.  Justin made a mental note, 'step two accomplished.'  

It was nearly ten at night when Brian insisted on going over every detail of the plan again with Justin.   Although Justin was irritated, he indulged the older man.  

"Our timing has to be perfect," Brian reminded him.  

"Yes, yes, I know.  Would you quit worrying?  You know, I'm actually starting to think that you give a damn about me, Mr. Kinney."  

"Hmph," Brian said.  "Don't flatter yourself.  Stockwell's after me too, remember?  Since I don't plan on being on the run for the rest of my life, we need to take care of this now."  

Brian noticed the dejected look on Justin's face and he immediately felt like shit.  He should really stop being such a jerk about it, but he couldn't help himself.  It scared him to think that Justin had become that important to him.  He had a job to do damn it, and he had no time to think of getting all sappy with the blond.  They both needed to be sharp for tomorrow.  

"Let's get some rest..." Brian suggested.   

Justin quietly nodded his agreement.  There had definitely been an implied "alone" in Brian's statement.  Justin was disappointed, so he mumbled goodnight and headed up the steps to his room.  He listened attentively as he heard the shuffling of Brian's footsteps come to a pause by his door.  He held his breath for a hopeful second, but released it soon after when the footsteps continued again toward the other end of the hall.    

 

At 8:50 in the morning, Stockwell and two of his hired goons dismounted from their horses.  The brash man knocked on the door to the Taylor ranch and waited, a flash of excitement coursed through his veins.   

"Get in position," Brian told Justin.  "And be careful," he added.  

As planned, a male servant answered the door to let Stockwell in.   

"Mrs. Taylor's in the parlor, sir," he politely informed them.  "She requested to speak with you alone for a moment."  

Stockwell turned to his men and instructed, "You two wait here."  The men obediently took their positions within earshot of the door.   

The servant shrewdly disappeared without calling attention to himself.   Brian checked the time on his pocket watch as he jockeyed for a better view from his hiding place.   

Stockwell drew the doors to the room closed.  He spotted Mrs. Taylor huddled in a chair, still obviously grieving.  Her shawl was drawn about her and a veil covered her eyes and nose.  She held a gloved hand with a tissue up to her face.   

"Mrs. Taylor," Stockwell began.  "I can see how this may be difficult for you, but you are making the right decision.  Let me assure you that I can guarantee the future safety of you and your daughter."  

When Craig Taylor's widow did not give a response, he stepped closer.  In one swift motion, the sitting figure stood up and unveiled itself.  Caught off guard by the rash movement, Stockwell found himself face to face with an armed Justin Taylor.  

"Don't move," Justin threatened in a deadly,serious tone.    

Stockwell managed to snap out of his initial shock and remarked, "So the prodigal son returns.  You've made a big mistake Taylor, because you should have crossed the border into Mexico while you could.  Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill you."   

"Don't you have that all wrong, Stockwell?  I'm the one pointing the gun at you."  

"So you are."  

It was time.  Brian leapt out of the shadows and stunned the first guard with a kick to the face.  He came up behind the other one who was reaching for his gun and twisted his neck.  As he tied the other guard's hands together, he wondered why he hadn't heard a shot yet.  'What the fuck was Justin doing in there?'  

Stockwell had his hands raised in surrender.  He appeared strangely calm.  

"You're really going to shoot me in cold blood, Justin?"  

The young man had his gun pointed straight at Stockwell, yet he couldn't seem to pull the trigger.  He had never killed a man before and his hands were shaking at the prospect.  

Brian charged into the room and took in the scenario.   He gaped at Justin, who seemed frozen in place.   

"Justin, what the fuck are you waiting for?  Shoot him.  He's..."  

The pressure of a gun at his temple made Brian stop talking midstream.  What..the...fuck?  

Two of Stockwell's men had snuck up on them with their guns drawn.  

Stockwell smirked and said, "You didn't really think we wouldn't figure out what you were doing, did you?  We knew you were coming back here.  I had my other men lurking outside, waiting for the right time."  

"Put the gun down, Justin, if you want your friend to live," he ordered.  

Justin looked toward Brian.  He could detect the tightness in the brunet's jaw and the flash of anger in his eyes.  Given the situation, Justin did the only thing he could do.  He took a deep breath and slowly lowered his arm.  

"Drop it!" Stockwell demanded. 

"You've truly been a thorn in my side.  I should have you shot.  However, it would be a shame to kill you both." 

Then Stockwell coolly directed his voice to a flushed Brian, "Perhaps we can strike a deal, Mr. Kinney?  I can always use a man of your talents."  

Just then a small figure revealed herself from out of the shadows brandishing a gun.  

"Molly!" Justin yelled in a state of panic.   

The brazen young girl managed to fire off a shot before one of Stockwell's men took aim at her and fired.  Justin launched himself at his sister, knocking her out of the way.  He protectively shielded her with his own body.     

Brian seized the opportunity to make his move and fight back.  A fierce struggle ensued.  Brian emerged the victor, having successfully incapacitated Stockwell's henchmen.  Huffing from the exertion, Brian glanced down to the middle of the floor and saw Stockwell lying in a puddle of his own blood.  The light was quickly going out of his eyes.  

"Justin," Brian anxiously called as he walked over to the two bodies against the wall.  "Justin!"  

"Mmmm.... "  

"Brian!" Molly cried as he approached.  She gingerly crawled out from underneath her brother.  Her face was overwrought with fear when she announced, "I think he's been shot!"