Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

 

Although Brian grumbled some lame ass excuse about not wanting his efforts to save Justin's life to be in vain, Justin suspected the truth.  The older man, whether he realized it or not, had developed feelings for him and may even be in love with him. 

 

Brian casually glanced to his left as his eyes gravitated to the willful young man riding beside him.  He was perplexed by all of these strange new feelings he had stirring inside.  As a self professed loner, he had long ago resigned himself to a lifestyle of sexual encounters with a series of nameless tricks.  He had always reckoned that he was not meant to be in an intimate, monogamous relationship.  He had even convinced himself that he preferred it that way.  Then along comes a blond haired virgin who proceeds to turn his world upside down. 

 

Right now, his thoughts were preoccupied with worry.  Imagine that.  Brian Kinney concerned for someone other than himself.  The undeniable evidence was apparent as he felt his chest tighten with anxiety over what his fair haired companion might soon have to face. 

 

Darkness was approaching and with it their journey was nearing an end as they descended upon Justin's home, or rather his family's.  Brian sensed that Justin had felt the same eerie stillness in the night air that he had.  They exchanged uneasy glances when they drew close to the Taylor ranch.  Taking in his immediate surroundings, his senses were heightened and on alert.  Something definitely didn't feel right, but Brian kept his thoughts to himself as he wondered if perhaps they were too late.

 

The two men dismounted and Brian put his fingers to his lips to shush Justin, preventing him from speaking out loud.  He motioned for the kid to follow as he cautiously headed towards the back of the house.  When Brian unholstered his gun, Justin did the same.

 

Stopping by the back door, they paused to listen for any sign of activity within.  Justin was positioned directly behind Brian and he could feel the kid's short, harried breaths at the base of his neck.  After several angst filled moments of silence, Brian opened the door and crept inside with the tense blond in tow. 

 

They began searching the house room by room.  All of a sudden, Justin collided with someone as he turned a corner.  A startled young girl with strawberry blonde tresses gasped and jumped back.  Her hand flew to her mouth as she recognized her older brother.  Her heart was racing from the shock and it took her a minute to speak.

 

"Justin!  Oh my God, it's really you."

 

"I'm sorry, sis.  I didn't mean to scare you.  It's just that the house was so quiet and we didn't know what to expect."

 

We?  It was then that Molly noticed the handsome stranger standing off to the side watching their entire exchange.

 

"We thought you were dead, too," Molly babbled.  Then she directed at Justin, "Who is he?"

 

"Oh...this is Brian.  He helped me escape."  He felt a stab of fear when he questioned, "What did you mean before when you said you thought I was dead too?"

 

It was then that he regarded his sister's appearance.  Her eyes were red and puffy, and her complexion drawn and pallid.  She was uncharacteristically garbed in a drab black dress.

 

Molly looked into Justin's face and her voice broke when she announced, "Daddy's dead.  They killed him."

 

"Stockwell?" Brian interjected.

 

Molly nodded, tears brimming in her sad eyes. 

 

"What happened?" Justin probed.

 

"We thought it was just a horrible accident.  A witness said his horse bucked and he fell off, but his foot got caught in the stirrup.  It dragged him and...and..."

 

The distraught girl was unable to finish recounting the incident.  Sobbing, she collapsed into Justin, whose arms protectively draped around her.  He stroked her hair while his mind tried to absorb all that she had said. 

 

Craig Taylor was dead.  His father was dead

 

Justin was surprised at the unexpected pangs of sorrow he felt at this news.  His eyes grew moist but he didn't shed a tear.

 

After a while, Molly's hysterics subsided.  Justin gently released her from his comforting embrace and led her to a chair. 

 

"Molly, how do you know it wasn't merely an accident?  What makes you think that Stockwell did it?"

 

"Because of what happened today.  Stockwell paid us a visit.  Only it wasn't a sympathy call, he came to threaten us.  He said that what happened to daddy was because he was a foolish man.  And since mom was now heir to daddy's estate, he hoped she was more reasonable than him.  He offered to take the ranch and land off her hands for what he considered a fair price."

 

Both men watched as Molly twisted a handkerchief in her hand and her blue orbs suddenly became alive with rage.  She consciously took a deep breath to rein in her seething emotions and stood up to pace the floor as she continued.

 

"When Stockwell was walking toward the door, he hesitated and spun around.  I'll never forget that sinister smirk on his face as he told mom that he would allow her a couple of days to mourn her loss and mull over his offer.  He said that he was certain that she would come to the right decision because you could never know when another accident might happen.  Then he cast his devil eyes upon me and added that he knew she certainly wouldn't want a pretty young thing like me to wind up all alone in the world at thirteen years old."

 

Molly's entire body was vibrating with anger when she spewed, "I hate him.  You have to kill him Justin!  He has to pay for what he did to our family."

 

In two long strides Justin crossed over to where his sister was standing.   His consoling hands caressed her shoulders.  Using a soothing voice he vowed, "Don't worry Mol.  Everything will be alright.  I'll make sure that you and mom are okay.  No one is going to take the ranch away from us or bother you ever again." 

 

With his last remark his gaze met Brian's.  There was no way he was going to let Stockwell get his father's land or hurt his family any more than he already had.

 

"Where is mom?"

 

"She's in her bedroom.  I'll go with you," Molly offered.

 

Brian waited patiently in the downstairs living room as Justin reunited with his mother.  Some time later, all three Taylors emerged.  Jennifer Taylor was an attractive blonde haired woman who seemed to posses a quiet strength.   After the proper introductions were made, she graciously shook Brian's hand.

 

"I want to thank you for saving my son's life.  He tells me that you used to work for Stockwell.  While I am not fond of your chosen profession Mr. Kinney, I'm grateful that you've decided to help us.  Justin seems to hold you in high regard and I trust his opinion."

 

They all converged in the dining area.  The cook mumbled about not being prepared for two extra mouths to feed, but she did her best, which turned out to be enough.  They shared a simple but satisfying meal of lamb and potatoes.  Conversation at the table was sparse and the time passed awkwardly.  Molly and her mother finally excused themselves.  Both females pressed a kiss to Justin's cheek before heading upstairs to retire, since the day had left them emotionally drained. 

 

Brian eyed Justin with concern when he watched him rise from his seat and leave the room.  He eventually wandered to the outside porch where the young man was brooding. 

 

Justin felt Brian's presence and exclaimed, "You would think that after everything he did, the way he treated me, I wouldn't give a shit that he's dead, but I do."

 

Brian came up behind Justin and looped an arm around his neck.  "He was your father.  Even if he was a shitty one, it's only natural for you to grieve that loss."

 

Justin shrugged Brian's arm off.  He turned and started briskly walking towards the stable. 

 

"Where the fuck are you going?" Brian demanded.

 

"I'm going to kill that son of a bitch Stockwell."

 

"Don't be a twat."

 

A pissed off Justin turned on his heels to face Brian. 

 

"Why?  You don't think I'm capable of protecting my family?"

 

"I know you are.  But..."

 

Justin shook his head and stalked to the stable door, not interested in anything else the older man had to say.  He felt a strong hand grip his wrist.

 

"Brian..."

 

"Hold on a minute, Jesse James," Brian said sharply.  "You can't just fucking waltz in there and kill the man.  We need to come up with a plan."

 

"We?  It's not your family they're threatening.  You don't need to be involved any longer."

 

"Shut the fuck up, kid.  Now listen to me.  I'm in this whether you like it or not."

 

Justin stared at Brian.  Shit!  The man was right of course.  He needed a plan and he also needed Brian's help.  Stockwell must surely have guards protecting him.  

 

"Now let's go back inside.  Between the two of us, we should be able to devise a plan that will ensure that Stockwell winds up exactly where he belongs, six feet under."