Midnight Whispers
QAF Brian and Justin Fanfiction

Over the years children grew up, older boys got embraced and Kinneyville grew rapidly. There was a waiting list of vampires wanting to live in the community and real estate values soared because of it. Investment smart vampires bought several lots to sell themselves for a substantial profit after building custom homes on them. With additional land Brian and Justin acquired over time the city grew to over 26,000 people including the campus. There was now a school system with the Kinneyville Academy being the junior and high school for the city. Parks were created for the kids and everyone to enjoy. A community swimming pool was very popular in the summer months. Many homes had pools too but it was also fun to be with a large group. A movie theatre was created which was filled every weekend showing the latest features. Carefully other food chains were allowed to open franchises in Kinneyville by proven familiars.       

“I don’t want to be the mayor anymore. I want someone else to do it.” Brian told Justin one day as they were sitting in Brian’s office.      

“If you resign I’ll step up and serve until they hold an election. Why do you want to give up control Brian?”      

“It’s the proper course of events Justin. We should hold our first elections of offices for the city council. It’s the fair thing to do. And frankly I’m sick of the petty little problems I have to deal with. Let somebody else have the fun.”      

“Do you want me to be the mayor until there is an election?”      

“Would you run for office then?”      

“I’d have to think about it. I’d hate to see the wrong people gain control and hurt what we built up. I don’t know enough about the citizens here to know what kind of politics we’re facing.”      

“That’s the funny part; we haven’t got any politics yet. It’s been a dictatorship with a willing group of citizens not complaining much about how I’ve ran things. The worse that could happen is if a group of people not qualified to get things working smoothly get in and screw things up.”      

“Do you think I can handle being mayor?”       

“I sure you can and I can help you if you need help with a problem. You like people and you might do a great job doing it. It would look good on the city’s history if we both served in office.”      

“I’ll check with my attorney Tom and see if there’s a conflict with me since I’m head of the academy too. I don’t think I’ll have a problem with it.”      

“Well I’m going to present my resignation tomorrow night at the association city council meeting and appoint you the new mayor. Which Bible do you what to be sworn in with?” Brian asked with a smile.       

“Well my family’s Protestant but I probably read the TV Guide more than anything.  I think we should be safe and not use a Bible out of respect Brian. I get sworn in without bringing religion into it.”       

“Very good Mr. Mayor; welcome to the job. That stack of shit is waiting your attention. It grows daily so I caution you not to let it get too high.”      

“Nice try Brian; you’re the mayor until tomorrow night. Get your ass to work and leave me a clean slate or no puddy for you tonight lover boy.” Justin said grinning as he kissed his vampire and left the office.      

“Get your little bubble butt back in here Sunshine. I need your help with this.” Brian yelled.      

“Yes dear?”      

“I’ve gotten a notice from the state our city doesn’t comply to the Title II, America’s Disability Act; we have to provide access ramps to all public buildings and to the downtown sidewalks. The repairs will costs millions of dollars to create and the irony is we don’t have one disabled citizen in our community in a wheelchair. How do we handle this Mr. Mayor to be?”      

“Simple; we comply with it anyway. We widen doors, build ramps, and make the public buildings and downtown areas accessible to future people who may need them. First we launch an engineering study of what has to be done and then we hold a city bond to gather the funds to do it, to be paid back over time, or we tax the citizens to pay for it up front. We comply with the law; next problem.”       

“We could try to get a waiver since we don’t have any disabled citizens here.”     

“And then we look like we discriminate against people disabled. We risk exposing how none of our citizens are disabled or aging. We better spend the money and if we ever have one disabled citizen we owe it to them to have the proper access. We don’t have a choice in the matter. Every city and town has to do it Brian. Our engineers should have mentioned this to us when we built the city in the first place.”

“OK, next problem; there isn’t enough parking downtown for popular days. What do you suggest?” Brian looked at Justin for an answer.      

“I say we legalize the use of electric golf carts by our citizens and encourage them to drive them downtown. It’ll double the number of people who can be downtown at the same time and cause no pollution.  They have to only be out only during the daytime and they must have brake lights on them.”      

“You might make a damn outstanding mayor boy. You think outside the box. That’s a super idea that doesn’t cost the city a dime. The citizens get their golf carts personally. What if they don’t buy them?”      

“We grant them a tax credit for the golf carts and every five years for a new one. We get enough taxes to afford it and it’s cheaper than creating parking lots on land worth more as commercial structures. We might have enough to meet the ADA requirements without extra taxes or a bond issue too. Another idea is public transportation like a small bus system here. We can find a way to do it. Do you have another major problem in mind?”      

“Our existing water tower runs close to becoming empty during the summer months. We need a second water tower for the city since we’ve grown so much.”      

“We are using the tower to gravity feed the pressure of the water supply to all the homes right?”      

“Right”      

“Can we add a booster pump to the city water main feeding treated water from our reservoir putting water and pressure into the system thus delaying the need for a second tower for now? It would cost a fraction of what a second tower will cost us.”       

“That might work for a while but eventually we’ll need a new tower.”      

“But for know it should stop the risk of the loss of pressure. What the hell do vampires need water for anyway?”      

“They have embraced human lovers, pools, laundry, baths, lawns to water, and shit lots of reasons.”      

“Our water department can tell us if it’s feasible to add a pump and how much time it might buy us before needing a second tower. The tower can be a future capital project we discuss at the meeting.”      

“You might like this one Justin. A group of students at the campus want to do public art and create murals downtown on bare brick walls.”        

“They have to have their pictures pre-approved and then passed by the council for acceptance but I think it’s a great idea. It would add color and image to the downtown section. What else is on the agenda this week?”      

“A couple of neighborhoods want stop signs installed; more animal control issues, a group of citizens want us to plant more city trees, another group wants us to standardize sanitation with attractive trash receptacles like green plastic bins with lids and wheels on them that can be kept in the garages until trash day; one person suggest parking meters downtown to lessen congestion there, and one concerned citizen thinks we don’t mow the public grass fast enough to suit him.”      

“How could you want to leave such important work Brian? I fear this city will fall apart without you at the helm.” Justin sat in Brian’s lap grinning at his lover.      

“Fuck that; starting tomorrow night you get to enjoy all this fun for at least a while.  I’ve done the hard work building this city all you have to do is grow some more and maintain it.”       

And so the following night at the council meeting Brian resigned and Justin became the new and 2nd mayor of Kinneyville Georgia. The council held court for over 4 hours handling problems, budget changes, and citizen’s issues. The most controversial issue was the ADA problem to be dealt with. In the end Justin convinced the council they had to comply with the act to best serve the community and protect their unique identity as he called.      

“One day the elderly mother or father of a person living here might need these access ramps and wider doors. We owe it to them to make them a reality. It’s not only the law but the right thing to do.” With a vote of 9-0 the council passed the policy to conform to the ADA without protest. Brian was impressed with Justin’s first time leading the council.       

“I should have given you the city years ago Sunshine.”      

“We’re lucky Brian; we’re a new community without major street, housing or crime problems, and we have a huge tax base to make improvements with. We have the funds to pay for a second water tower, ADA improvements, trees, and trash bins for all the citizens. The question I see coming is what to do when our present land fill is at its capacity. The figures I read show we have to do something within three years.”     

“I don’t want to waste land of a trash dump, land fill Justin. I think we’d be better off paying another community to take our trash.”

“I want to suggest a recycling center for glass, paper, and plastics. If most of the citizens will participate in it we can reduce the volume going to the land fill considerably and raise revenue from the recycling. I don’t think you bought all that extra new land for trash disposal but we might need it for that if we don’t do something. I hesitate sending our trash to another community; what if they find something that reflects badly on us?”      

“You mean like copies of ‘Vampire Weekly Magazine’ for instance?”       

“Something like that; we can’t be too careful Brian.”      

“I just thought of something really neat.”     

“And what might that be?”      

“I get to fuck the mayor tonight. I fucked the mayor…but I did not fuck the deputy.”  Brian singed to the old song “I shot the sheriff” to the amusement of Justin.      

“Shit Brian; we didn’t appoint an assistant mayor yet.”      

According to the city charter you get that honor to pick someone yourself from the council members. Who do you like?”      

“Whoever will let me dump a shitload of work on them without complaining; that’s who I’d like.”      

“Well the secretary, treasurer, and city manager are off the table.”      

“Do you want the job?”      

“For your information I’m off the council from now on.”      

“Shit, now what do I do?”

“Ask who wants the job would be my approach. Send everyone that could serve an email to see it they’re interested and go from there Mr. Mayor.”      

“This is so odd; I go to Atlanta and get carded buying a drink and I’m a mayor of another city.”       

“Forever young has its advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the advantages myself.”      

“One issue tonight gave me a bit of trouble; Councilman Arnold wanting to open the community to the general public to raise business revenue here. The closed community is why we have no crime and we best protect our unusual citizens here. I think it could be a dangerous move to do it.”      

“And I think a majority of the council would vote it down. And if an election was held it would be defeated. So his wish will not happen. You’ll see he comes up with some crazy ideas trying to make history and put his name on it. He’s the last person you want as the assistant mayor. You would have so much headache dealing with his shit.”      

“The co-founders may not always control the council and the climate of the city can change on a dime then.”      

“The closed community is a founding principal of this town; we can pass an ordinance stating future councils cannot change that condition of the city’s operations. They would have to re-charter the city to get around it and the legal cost would be outrageous for them to do it. The citizens would never permit it anyway. I don’t fear that happening anytime soon.”       

“What do we do with the request by Wal-Mart to put a store in the city?  I noticed we didn’t have that issue on the agenda tonight.”       

“I don’t want them in the city Justin. They can build a store outside the city limits and still service our community that way.”      

“Then we lose the tax revenue they could provide. I see jobs for kids on campus; a lot of jobs.”

“You’re the mayor now; you do what you want to. Be warned ahead of time you’re going get drowned with request from companies wanting to move in. For many reasons we can’t let everybody in here. Frankly I don’t see a city of rich people buying at Wal-Mart personally.”      

“You have a good point. What we don’t buy at our grocery store we buy online. I read somewhere that Wal-Mart is known to sue a city that blocks them from putting in a store.”      

“Welcome to the fun of politics Justin. You have a taste of why I said I’m done doing it. I’m going to plan another get together with friends and family before the summers over. Why are all your kids still in school?”       

“The student body agreed to 12 months of school to end it faster and get to the college quicker. They get a week off the first week in June and another week, last week of August however. It has worked out great for everyone.” After the long walk Brian and Justin entered their villa home and decided to have a drink. After two drinks the lovers went to bed and Brian got to have sex with a mayor the first time in his long life. After thinking about it he realized how much city politics might cramp Justin’s time and had a new idea. The next morning as Justin ate breakfast he raised the issue with him.      

“Justin, I suggest you hold elections for offices for the council next November. I promise you that you don’t want this job. The more I think about it I don’t want our house dominated with anymore city politics. You’re not going to have much free time; the phone will ring off the wall with bullshit from people, and it’ll hurt our ability to travel much.”      

“Ok, I’m not all that ambitious anyway. I wasn’t planning to run when we do have elections but I didn’t want the city just hanging when you quit.” Justin said smiling at Brian’s stunned face.      

“I was expecting some argument from you and you’re just going to give in like that?”      

“I’m an artist, not a politician Brian. And yes the details running a city are fucking boring as hell. The attorneys in town could serve better than I can and the city gets free legal advice.”      

“With that thinking you are acting like a politician Justin. You figured a way to get something for the town for nothing. That’s political thinking in action.”       

“That’s picking the smartest and best people to do the job. They can still get paid for lawyer work. I prefer the grandfather business to city business any day. I agree with you this will get old for me by the time the election’s held.”      

And weeks later the applicants for office came in and none concerned Brian and Justin but one. The only person running for mayor was the famous Councilman Arnold who wants to open the city to the general public.      

“Fuck Brian, he could be the next mayor if no else runs against him. I might have to run for office just to stop that turd from getting it.”      

“Go ask that new attorney in town what’s his name?”     

“Randy Magee?”      

“Yeah that’s the guy. He’s embraced and very popular with our group. He’d be dead set against an open community here. Plus you can raise the binding ordinance to never be an open community. There are enough votes on the council to pass it now before the election.”      

“The minute I do that I’ve got an enemy with Arnold, Brian. He’s going to take it personal.”       

“See if Randy will run for mayor. If he does we can make sure he wins. We didn’t spend millions of fencing to make it worthless not counting the security cost to protect our citizens. He’s a nut case wanting to open the city up to the general public and is inviting more trouble than he realizes.”      

“He owns the grocery store and wants more business. That’s his motivation Brian.”      

“All I can say is vampires and embraced lovers better never lose a majority in this city if we know what’s good for us.  Fuck I hate politics Justin.” Justin called Randy and made an appointment see him in one hour.      

“Hello Justin, how can I help you today?”      

“I want you to run for mayor. The city needs you and I can insure you’ll win it.”      

“This is unusual Justin. Why do you need me of all people?”

“Besides the fact you’re smart?  The only person running is Councilman Arnold who owns the grocery store in town. He wants to open up our community to the general public. As mayor he has a lot of power about policies and such. It would be a tragedy if he wins for all of us.”      

“Familiars see things differently than we do. I have a thriving legal practice and I’ve been hired by the city on more than one occasion. I’d be shooting myself in the foot to run for an office that pays peanuts.”      

“As the present mayor I’ll approve your application for office permitting you to remain city attorney with your legal salary. Now you get all the legal work you want. After I speak with the council members they’ll pass it too. I’ll also create an executive assistant position to handle mayor’s desk duties to take the strain of routine things away from you. We need you Randy really bad. I have to have this application signed by Friday.”      

“Oh what the hell give me the form.” Justin grinned and handed the election application to Randy. He read it, filled it in, added the clause for city attorney position to be approved if elected and signed it.”      

That Friday night, after privately speaking with the other members of the council the vote to accept Randy Magee’s application passed 8-1 with Arnold the only negative vote. The elections were held and Randy won with a land slide. Arnold got so few votes it was comical. Once the town people heard him speak of an open community they were dead set against it. Arnold was so pissed off he closed his store in protest. A vampire and his embraced lover bought the property for a good price and reopened the store in a month. Arnold moved out of the community and entered retirement. The new store owners expanded to include department store merchandise and increased sales volume by 80% luring citizens to buy from him instead of driving out of town or buying on line.      

Mayor Randy Magee knew just how to write the letters making the risk of a Wal-Mart law suit impossible. His legal expertise was invaluable to the community and Kinneyville was well served by his time in office.      

Brian and Justin enjoyed reading the town newspaper instead of always being in the paper for a change. Their grandfather business thrived full time much to everyone’s delight especially the grandchildren.