Chocolate Cake by Teinisydan
Summary:

 

Emmett’s got a new boyfriend, first Sunday dinner at Debbie’s, you know how it goes.

 


Categories: Season 3, QAF-U.S. FICTION, Brian/Justin, Family, Mel/Lindsay, One-Off Fic Characters: Brian, Debbie, Emmett, Justin, Lindsay, Melanie, Michael, Vic
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3536 Read: 2424 Published: August 24, 2018 Updated: August 24, 2018
Story Notes:

 

I decided to write something nostalgic. Well nostalgic to those who have been in this fandom and reading stories for over ten years. Remember that time when everyone seemed to write their own version of the one-shot story where one of the gang member takes a new boyfriend to Debbie’s Sunday dinner and then one way or another it’s all about Brian and Justin? I was obsessed with those stories back then but for some reason never wrote one myself. Now, ten years later, I decided to have guts and write one so here it goes.

 

 

1. Chocolate Cake by Teinisydan

Chocolate Cake by Teinisydan

 

To say that this night was full of surprises was not an accurate way to express how Dylan’s night turned out. A couple of months ago he had met Emmett. Emmett was this lovable, adorable character that had way too big heart full of goodness. The way he waved his hands as he talked made Dylan smile and the way he could analyze dildos and cock rings for two hours straight made Dylan laugh. But it was the utterly cute personality that made him fall in love with him. That was why Dylan had agreed to this whole thing.

 

Emmett had gone on and on how he wanted to introduce Dylan to his surrogate family. He had told how they all gathered together every Sunday to have dinner and good time together. The way Emmett described this whole thing, he made it sound really important and a very big deal. Dylan was not sure if he should impose. He was not a family member and he felt awkward being in the room with people he didn’t know and had never met before. But Emmett, being very persuasive, had convinced Dylan to go.

 

So on Sunday Dylan arrived alone since he had spent the whole day babysitting his sister’s kid. Emmett had suggested that he could wait a little and they could go together but Dylan liked being polite and had shook his head, telling Emmett he could find his way on his own just as well.

 

Dylan arrived at the porch and felt his heart beat in his chest. He was nervous and all those cliché questions run through his brain. What if they didn’t like him? What if he didn’t like them? What if he would be bored to death? What if he dropped a plate and embarrassed himself? What if he spilled water on himself? What if he didn’t like the food? Emmett actually had said Dylan would love the food. Apparently everyone loved Debbie Novotny’s food. And that he had nothing to be afraid of.

 

The first surprise came when Dylan pressed the door bell and the door opened. He came face to face with Justin Taylor. The intern from the art department. Dylan couldn’t help his expression of shock as he looked at the young blond. He didn’t really know him but he had heard a lot about him. Dylan worked at the reception at Vanguard and basically he knew everyone in that company a little. People talked to him, said hi every morning when they came in and bye when they left in the evening. People also started talking before they got out of the building not knowing Dylan was listening. Mostly he had heard good things about Justin. He was very talented and hardworking and good potential to become a full time employee once he graduated. Then there were the jealous people who were afraid Justin would take their job. There probably was a reason why those people were afraid.

 

“Hi,” Dylan breathed, giving a small smile.

 

“Hi, Dylan,” to Dylan, Justin seemed as shocked as he was.

 

“I um… I’m with Emmett,” he stuttered a little.

 

“Oh, of course. Come in, Emmett’s here already,” Justin stepped aside. “He has told me a lot about you. Didn’t connect it before that he was actually talking about you,” Justin smiled and offered to take Dylan’s jacket.

 

“Pumpkin!” Emmett suddenly appeared and Dylan was engulfed into his familiar arms. He gave Dylan a peck on the lips and the man relaxed a little. “Come on inside.”

 

“You didn’t tell me you knew Justin,” Dylan pointed out and gave another smile to the blond.

 

“Huh, I didn’t? Must have slipped my mind,” Emmett didn’t seem to be bothered by the fact. “Come meet everyone,” Emmett took Dylan’s hand and led him further into the small house while Justin followed them. Everyone were already seated at the kitchen table.

 

“Here we have Debbie, out lovely host,” Emmett pointed at the red headed lady who smiled widely and welcomed Dylan laughing. “Then we have Vic, Debbie’s brother,” Emmett pointed at an older man sitting next to Debbie. “And Lindsay and Melanie,” the two woman, clearly lesbians as they sat close to each other and held hands. But that wasn’t a surprise, Emmett had told Dylan they were together.

 

“Here is Teddy,” Emmett pointed at the man next to Vic.

 

“Just Ted is fine too, whatever you like,” Ted smiled making fun of Emmett with his facial expression. Emmett seemed to ignore that and moved on. “This is Michael,” a black haired man who had his back to Dylan turned around a little and said hi.

 

“And you already know Brian and Justin,” Emmett smiled.

 

Dylan stared at Brian. Apparently Emmett had forgot to mention he was friends with one of the ad execs in the company he worked at. That was just great. A whole night with Brian Kinney. This should be fun. He was one of those people Dylan did not miss after work hours. He said hi to the man and got a silent nod back. Dylan looked at Emmett and gave him a fake smile. He was so having a talk with the man after this dinner was over.

 

“Let’s sit down,” Emmett pulled out the chair next to Michael and motioned him to sit down. Emmett himself took a place next to Dylan. The chair on the other side of Emmett was empty but Dylan thought it would probably be Justin’s place since the man was helping Debbie to bring all the food to the table.

 

“We’re so glad you could join us, Dylan. I made meatloaf. Everyone loves my meatloaf,” Debbie explained as she put the meatloaf in the middle of the table.

 

“Thank you for having me. Smells amazing,” Dylan said and looked around the table.

 

When everything was ready, Debbie sat next to Vic and Justin took the empty seat next to Brian. Dylan had had a hunch for a long time now that those two knew each other outside work. Rarely, very rarely, those two left around lunch hour and came back half an hour later. It never seemed like it was a business dinner because Brian never had his briefcase with him and they seemed to always talk something else than work.

 

Emmett was the first one to dig in. He even helped Dylan and it kind of made him feel pampered. When they all had a portion in front of them the conversation started. Dylan had expected that since he was the new one, the people around the table would be interested in him and ask a lot of questions. And this was exactly what happened.

 

“So, Dylan. What do you do?” Melanie started.

 

“Um, I work at Vanguard’s reception,” Dylan answered and buttered some bread.

 

The second surprise was that when Dylan announced his profession all eyes turned to Brian and Justin. That was weird since they were talking about Dylan, not Brian nor Justin. Dylan too was forced to look at the two men. Brian seemed unfazed as he reached for his glass and sipped the water. Justin on the other hand paused his hand in the middle and hung the full fork in the air.

 

“What?” Justin furrowed his brows and pushed the fork into his mouth. But then the eyes moved away and things moved on.

 

“So what do you guys do?” Dylan cleared his throat after the awkward silence.

 

“I run the Liberty Diner, so be sure to stop by sometime,” Debbie said immediately pointing at Dylan.

 

Dylan nodded quickly. “I’ve actually been there before a couple of times. Your lemon bars are amazing,” he smiled.

 

“I’m a lawyer and Lindsay here is an artist. She also work’s at an art gallery,” Melanie smiled and rubbed Lindsay’s forearm gently.

 

“I own a comic book store,” Michael said mouth full of mashed potatoes.

 

Vic didn’t answer so Dylan thought maybe he didn’t work at all. He seemed like he could be that old. Brian nor Justin didn’t answer either but Dylan didn’t expect them to. They did work at the same place after all.

 

“A comic book store? That sounds interesting,” Dylan turned to Michael but heard Brian actually snicker. Dylan glanced at Brian but ignored it.

 

“Yeah and I actually wrote a comic book that Justin illustrated,” Michael smiled.

 

“Really, that’s fantastic. What is it about? Maybe I’ve read it,” Dylan asked. He actually liked comic books. Couldn’t say he was a huge fan but since he started babysitting for his sister he had found new interesting things.

 

Michael opened his mouth to answer but suddenly Dylan heard the answer from Justin’s mouth. “It didn’t really get a big audience. We’re sold out anyway. I mean we didn’t really get many copies,” he explained.

 

“Oh, that’s a shame,” Dylan shrugged and then looked at Emmett. “Maybe you have a copy?”

 

Emmett haltered a little but then smiled and nodded. “Sure do,” he said and Dylan knew that smile was fake.

 

This was surprise number three. There was a comic book that Dylan guessed was pretty good but obviously he was not allowed to see it for some reason. He had no doubt that Emmett would never show it to him.

 

“Did anyone hear the news about pride? They might not arrange it this year,” Vic suddenly said to change the subject.

 

“Finally, who wants to see bunch of sad fags trying to desperately get laid,” Brian commented and Dylan had hard time not laughing. Those were exactly his thoughts. He personally didn’t get the whole whoop around the holiday.

 

“Brian!” Lindsay scolded.

 

“They don’t have enough money and have trouble raising it. I heard they’re thinking about having a fundraiser,” Vic explained.

 

From the corner of his eye, Dylan saw Brian lean closer to Justin and whisper something. A smile appeared on the blond’s lips and he clearly held back a laugh. Brian himself had a smile on his lips. Justin turned his head and looked at the brunet and there was a clear connection there. Something was said with eyes only and only those two knew what it was. Dylan though maybe they’ve known each other long enough to speak without words.

 

“Maybe we could do something,” Deb suggested. “I could arrange a bake sale,” she said.

 

“Count me in,” Vic smiled.

 

“Me too,” Emmett smiled and lifted his fork up.

 

“You’re taking part too,” Deb pointed at Justin who just nodded, not arguing at all.

 

“Come on Deb, leave him alone,” Brian sighed and drank from his glass.

 

That was a surprise too. Was Brian defending Justin somehow?

 

“You need to let him out sometime,” Debbie looked at Brian sternly and Dylan saw Justin roll his lips into his mouth to hide his smile. Dylan wondered what Debbie meant by letting Justin out sometimes.

 

“Sure Deb, I’ll bake the muffins,” Justin said and drank some water too.

 

“Good boy,” Deb smiled and Brian rolled his eyes.

 

“What about you?” Debbie suddenly asked Dylan.

 

“Um, I’ve never been good in the kitchen but if you need help with anything else, sure,” Dylan answered.

 

“Bullshit, you’re going to bake a cake and that’s it!” Debbie waved Dylan off and Dylan found himself unable to say anything to that.

 

Brian snickered again.

 

“Watch it,” this time Debbie pointed at Brian. “Or you’ll be baking cookies.”

 

“They would be a hit. I’m sure everyone would love Brian cocaine cookies,” Ted snickered.

 

People laughed and Dylan couldn’t help smiling himself too although he wasn’t sure what Ted meant bu cocaine.

 

After that the conversation turned back to Dylan. He got to tell his life story shortly, how he met Emmett and about his hobbies and so on. When they had eaten the dinner, Justin got up and started collecting plates. He took them to the sink before Debbie told him to take out the chocolate cheese cake. Justin set it on the table and put a stack of small plates next to it. Everyone were very eager to take a piece but Justin started to fill the sink with water.

 

“Honey, what have I told you about doing the dishes?” Debbie looked at the blond but Justin just shook his head.

 

“Not to do them but just this last time, Deb,” Justin patted the woman’s shoulder.

 

“Well, let’s go to the living room. It’s more comfortable there,” Debbie got up once she got her slice of the cake.

 

Dylan noticed everyone get up except Brian. The man took a piece of cake but didn’t join the others. Instead he went to Justin and leaned his ass on the counter while eating small spoonfuls of the cake.

 

The conversation went on and this time they talked about something else than Dylan. The noise got so loud he couldn’t hear what Brian and Justin were talking about but he still kept an eye on them without the others noticing. Justin seemed to do most of the talking as he scrubbed the plates and Brian nodded often, smiling occasionally. Then Justin looked at the piece of cake, saying something. Brian rolled his eyes again. He took a piece of cake into his spoon and fed it to Justin. The blond flashed a bright smile and Dylan couldn’t help it when his eyes got huge.

 

That only happened because Justin had his hands in the soap water. Dylan decided this. There was no other explanation. They were almost like the boss and the intern. But they obviously knew each other before Justin started working for Vanguard. That made things confusing. Was it inappropriate after all? But no, they couldn’t be. Dylan knew they had quite a big age difference.

 

Soon Brian was done with the cake. Dylan watched as he uncharacteristically grabbed a towel and started to dry the plates. He turned his back, not leaning his ass on the counter anymore and Dylan was forced to look away. There wasn’t point in observing them when he could only see two backs.

 

“Who’s up for a smoke?” Ted asked suddenly, bringing Dylan out of his thoughts.

 

“Smoke? You don’t really even smoke,” Emmett wondered what was up with Ted.

 

“Normally not so much but I’m graving one now,” Ted got up and went to the kitchen, dropping his plate in the sink.

 

“Count me in,” Justin said from the sink, ditching his work and following Ted out, what Dylan assumed was a backdoor. Then he noticed Brian put down the towel and follow the blond without a word. Before he disappeared behind a corner, Dylan saw him pull out a packet of cigarettes from his pocket.

 

“Why don’t you take another piece, Dylan?” Debbie motioned towards the cake on the kitchen table.

 

During the evening he had noticed that Debbie was one of those people who enjoyed watching other people eat because she thought it was good for them. Dylan watched the cake. He felt pressured to take a piece and just didn’t dare to say no. So he got up and went to get another small piece. But as he moved the small piece on his plate and managed to make a mess on the table. Not exactly what he was looking forward to this evening. Chocolate cheese case and whipped cream mashed up together on the colorful table cloth. Happily the material of the table cloth seemed to be easy to clean. Dylan looked up and saw tissues next to the sink.

 

“You need some help, honey?” Emmett asked from the couch.

 

“No, I’ll manage,” Dylan shook his head and walked around the kitchen table to get some tissues. But as he took some, he happened to watch out the window into the darkness. His hands stopped in the middle of movement. Brian had pulled Justin close under his arm. His fingers were playing with the blond hair on the back of the neck while other held partly smoked cigarette between his thumb and forefinger. Then Justin turned, got up on his toes and pecked Brian on the lips. His hand sneaked behind the taller man and settled on the lower back against Brian’s black, long sleeved shirt.

 

Dylan swallowed loudly as he realized how all the reasons he had made up and believed were just proven wrong. He watched as Justin smiled up at Brian a little. The man took a drag from his cigarette and then blew the smoke from his lungs into the air. It swirled upward above their heads until it disappeared. The he gently pressed his lips against Justin’s forehead. Ted didn’t seem to be faced by this at all. He just stood there and talked something Dylan could not hear, he only saw lips moving.

 

“Everything okay?” Emmett suddenly appeared next to him and Dylan felt a warm touch on his hip.

 

“Um, yeah,” Dylan nodded and teared his eyes off the two men outside.

 

Emmett noticed what he was staring at and grinned a little. “You know, I have a feeling you’re not going anywhere anytime soon so you better get used to that. They’re like on constant honeymoon even though it’s been some years since they met,” he rubbed Dylan’s side a little.

 

“Really?” Dylan looked puzzled.

 

But Emmett scrunched his nose and shook his head. “No, they fuck like bunnies. Everywhere, every time. They have no manners when it comes to sex,” he chuckled a little. “So you’ll get to seeing that a lot. And a little hint, things get R rated it you ever come to Babylon with us,” the taller man leaned closer and smiled smugly. Dylan couldn’t help but smile and chuckle. “They’re the most bizarre couple but it works for them,” Emmett shrugged.

 

“I would have never guessed from the way they are at work,” Dylan confessed still not sure if he believed wat was happening.

 

“No, I guess you wouldn’t. It doesn’t help that you’ve got a homophobe as a boss,” Emmett twisted his mouth a little.

 

“No, it doesn’t. Even I am not out at work,” Dylan shook his head, knowing exactly what Emmett was talking about.

 

“What I’ve heard from Brian and Justin, a very wise choice,” Emmett went closer and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend. Dylan looked out the window again and saw that Ted was actually taking the few steps towards the house as Brian and Justin had locked lips what seemed like permanently. That was a slow but a very serious kiss.

 

“Will you kiss me like that once we get back to my place?” Dylan bit his cheeks, smiling a little. It looked fun.

 

Emmett turned his head and laughed shortly as he saw the tongue action. “Well, I can try, but I’ve heard nothing compares to either of their kisses.”

 

“I bet you are better,” Dylan smiled sweetly and put his arm around the tall man.

 

“You’re the cutest,” Emmett pecked a small kiss on Dylan’s nose.

 

Dylan once again looked out the window, into the darkness and so did Emmett. Justin pulled away but not before giving the brunet one final, short kiss. Then Dylan saw how his eyes caught them at the window. Apparently so did Emmett who lifted his hand up and wiggled his fingers. Justin’s lips moved as he stared back at them and then Brian turned his head and his upper body a little to see them. The brunet looked a little bored as lifted his middle finger up and made Justin laugh. The blond placed his hand on Brian’s forearm and pushed it down.

 

“Okay, I think that would be our cue,” Emmett chuckled and tugged on Dylan’s hand.

 

As Emmett helped Dylan clean the mess up he made earlier. Dylan noticed how surprised he was by the fact that his mind had been changed upside down this evening. First he had been very opposed to the idea of Brian and Justin together. Now he didn’t care. They actually seemed so natural together and if Dylan was honest, they looked beautiful together too

 

Emmett took the plate after they cleaned up and snuggled with Dylan on the couch, sharing the piece of cake. Debbie looked at them sincerely happy for Emmett and Vic continued on with whatever story he had been telling to Lindsay and Melanie before they joined them again.

 

Dylan decided that this surrogate family didn’t seem that bad after all. Not even when Brian and Justin came back inside, holding hands. But they didn’t come to sit down. Instead Dylan watched them make their way up the stairs to the second floor. Wonder what they were up to?

 

This story archived at https://midnightwhispers.net/viewstory.php?sid=4068