THURSDAY'S CHILD by Enohvee1875
Summary:

The story is complete and will be updated weekly.

Thank you Kim... Predec 2...for creating this lovely banner for me.  

jpg

While Justin is in Hollywood working on Rage the Movie, he meets someone who will rock his and Brian's world.


Categories: QAF-U.S. FICTION, Alternate Universe, Angst With a Happy Ending, Could be Canon, Family, Humor, What If Characters: Ben, Brian, Carl, Claire, Cynthia, Daphne, Debbie, Emmett, Gus, Hunter, Jennifer Taylor, Joan Kinney, Justin, Lindsay, Melanie, Michael, Original Character(s), Ted
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 66603 Read: 63918 Published: November 23, 2017 Updated: December 19, 2018
Story Notes:

There is no Justin is in this first chapter but he will show up in the next one.

I wrote an eight chapter outline for this short story over a year ago and the time has come to share. I will try to post updates weekly.

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 PROLOGUE SUMMER LOVIN' by Enohvee1875

2. Chapter 2 HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD by Enohvee1875

3. Chapter 3 BAFFLED, BOTHERED, & BEMUSED by Enohvee1875

4. Chapter 4 BLAST FROM PAST by Enohvee1875

5. Chapter 5 KICKING, SCRATCHING, AND TRIPPING DOWN MEMORY LANE by Enohvee1875

6. Chapter 6 FATHER'S DAY? by Enohvee1875

7. Chapter 7 PARTY OF THREE by Enohvee1875

8. Chapter 8 YOU CAN ALWAYS GO HOME AGAIN by Enohvee1875

9. Chapter 9 ROOM FOR ONE MORE by Enohvee1875

10. Chapter 10 NO SUGAR AND NO SPICE by Enohvee1875

11. Chapter 11 THE FAMILY CIRCUS by Enohvee1875

12. Chapter 12 THE FREAK OUT by Enohvee1875

13. Chapter 13 DADDY'S GIRL by Enohvee1875

14. Chapter 14 MURPHY'S LAW by Enohvee1875

15. Chapter 15 BLINDSIDED by Enohvee1875

16. Chapter 16 IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH by Enohvee1875

17. Chapter 17 MAMA KNOWS BEST by Enohvee1875

18. Chapter 18 FREE AT LAST by Enohvee1875

19. Chapter 19 FREE AT LAST, PART 2 by Enohvee1875

20. Chapter 20 HEIRS AND SPARES by Enohvee1875

21. Chapter 21 UPDATE ONLY by Enohvee1875

22. Chapter 22 BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER by Enohvee1875

23. Chapter 23 FAMILY MATTERS by Enohvee1875

24. Chapter 24 EPILOGUE by Enohvee1875

Chapter 1 PROLOGUE SUMMER LOVIN' by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Let's just call it what it is...a summer fling thing.

August 30, 1986

15-year old Brian Kinney smoothed a bit more product through his long dark hair.

“Not bad, Kinney.” He smirked and kissed his own reflection in the bathroom mirror.

 

“Going somewhere, Brian? I don’t think so.” Claire, his 18-year-old sister and arch nemesis, blocked the doorway. “Didn’t Dad ground you until school starts next week?  I’ll keep my mouth shut but it’s gonna cost you.”

 

Brian pushed past his sibling. “Not as much as it’s gonna cost you to keep me from ratting you out, Miss Skank. I wonder what Jack would do if he knew where you went and who you did two nights ago.”

 

“Why are you always spying on me? No wonder I can’t stand the sight of you. I hope you know that I hate your stinking guts, Brian Kinney. Why don’t you get a life?”

 

“Right back at you, Big Sis. I’d love to chat but my ride’s here. Later.”

 

Brian ran down the stairs and out of the door to the car idling at the curb.

 

 “Hey Bri my man, you showed up.  I thought you were gonna leave a brother hanging. Sweet!” 

 

“You know me better than that, Floyd. Thanks for the invite and the ride. But I’m hearing this party is for seniors so I hope nobody gives me a hard time.”

 

“You’re with me so don’t worry about it, it’s all good.  The party we are going to is about 15 minutes from Pittsburg.  As you know, it’s really a lake that the city turned into a man-made beach.  We’re here so grab those two six-packs. It’s our contribution but I intend to drink at least one of them all by myself.”

 

Brian and Floyd sauntered over to the group of young girls.

 

“So  Slick, don’t be shy. You see anything you like? I can do an intro for you cuz I’m down with all these lovely ladies. Most of us go all the way back to elementary school.”

 

Brian watched as a bevy of scantily clad young things splashed into the water. A tall bronze beauty with braids down to her butt adorned with shells and wood beads stood at the water’s edge. She and several of her girlfriends insisted that they had no intention of ruining their new swimsuits or hair with sand and salt water.

 

“Yo Floyd, how about her? That girl is hot!”

 

“Well, I didn’t know you were into Sista girls, Slick. That’s Leilani. Hey Lani, come meet my boy, Slick.  He’s new in town so I need for you to take care of him ‘cuz I gotta bounce for a minute. I see someone I need to catch up with.”

 

Leilani strolled over to the two boys and kissed Floyd on the cheek. “Hey babe, lookin’ good. Don’t worry about your boy, he’s in good hands. See you in a bit.”  The girl’s bottle green eyes scanned Brian from head to toe.  “Well aren’t you a pretty one. You are almost as brown as I am, but my tan isn’t seasonal.  So, you wanna dance, Ace? What do you do for fun? No prob, we’ll think of something. Let’s get you a drink and then we can get this party started. Time is wasting…”

 

Several of Leilani’s entourage converged on the dancing duo but she sent them packing. “I’m going to need every last one of you heifers to back off because I’m not in a sharing mood. This one is all mine…”

 

“So Ace, while you sitting there staring at your girl, why don’t you take a picture so that it will last longer.”

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to, but you’re like totally hot!”

 

“You are sweetheart so it’s okay. I’ve been told I look exotic because it’s not every day that you see a Sista girl with red hair that doesn’t come out of a bottle or green eyes that aren’t contacts.  But I do get tired of people asking me all the time: what are you mixed with?  As if I were part cat and part dog or a rum and coke. Hey, I sure can use one of those, Ace. How about you?”

 

“Lead the way, Princess.”

 

“Welcome to my first and last bash of Senior year. I hope you’ve been having a good time. What’s your name again, Stud? I haven’t seen your pretty face up in this neck of the woods before.” She supplied him with food and drinks completely unaware that the lanky good-looking brunet was a 15-year-old kid, not a rising senior.

 

Brian rolled his lips into his mouth and gave the girl a sexy smirk. “Me and my folks moved to the Pitts not too long ago.” Brian drained the red cup, rose to his feet and held his hand out to Leilani. “So Sexy Lady, do you wanna dance with me again?”

 

 They return to bumping and grinding to the music blaring from the speakers in one of the partygoers’ truck.  When they have exhausted themselves the teens decide to relax and partake of more beverages and an additional joint or two.

 

Leilani draped herself over Brian’s prone body as he exhaled several perfect smoke rings into the air. “Sooo, Man of Few Words, you’re a senior, you’re new in town, you like to party and what else do you like to do for kicks and giggles? ”

 

Brian rolls the girl beneath his body. “What we were doing earlier is all the fun I need.” Between the copious servings of booze and grass, Brian was flying high. Leilani suggested that they take to the water because it was beastly hot and skinny dipping would definitely provide relief.

 

“Sounds cool to me.” Brian pulled his tee over his head, grabbed the girl’s hand, and they sprinted to the refreshing water.

 

Brian woke with his arms wrapped around a warm soft body. When he decided to crash this party, he hadn’t really thought about getting with a girl. But some of the guys were watching her come on to him and Brian wanted to get off on the right foot with these native males. So he allowed the heckling from the guys to motivate him to step up to the Leilani and wind his arms around her.  She was really cute, smelled great, and was very willing. So why not sample the goods that were so freely offered?

 

Brian whispered to Leilani that it was time to rise and shine. He handed her the few pieces of clothing they tossed aside earlier and they dressed. It was nearly three in the morning.

.

“You know something, Stud? I like you and I wish that things were different and we that we would have more time to really get to know each other. But my people are moving to California and I guess I have to go along with them.”  The laser green eyes fill with tears and the girl began to sob drunkenly.  “I’m going to miss you and all my friends sooooo much! Do you want to meet later on today, Ace? Ummm, sorry, what’s your name again?”

 

Brian smiled and shook his head.  He didn’t remember her name either but he wasn’t going to share that little tidbit of information. “No problem, Floyd is waiting for me so I need to get back to my side of town. Maybe we’ll meet up again before you leave.” He gave the girl a brief kiss on the cheek. “It’s been real and thanks for showing me a great time.  Later.”

 

 

 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment/review. I would love to hear what you think of this first chapter.

Chapter 2 HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Justin learns that truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Justin’s POV

 “What a day! Worse than a double shift at the diner. The difference is I am making way more money and I don’t have to flirt or get groped for tips.”  As I crawl into the back seat of the luxurious town car, I thank my lucky stars and my driver, Mr. Palmer.  He is always so prompt and pleasant no matter what time of day or night his services are needed. Brett was kind enough to loan him to me for the duration of my stay while we are working on Rage the Movie. The traffic in this city is horrendous and I am still trying to find my way around in it, to no avail.

 

 “You are so very welcome, Justin. Long day at the office?”

 

“You have no idea, Sir. I am absolutely beyond knackered this evening. I finally realize why everyone who is working on this Rage project here in LaLa Land is completely bonkers. They work 12 hour days and party till dawn seven days a week. Wash, rinse, repeat. Sleep deprivation affects memory, creativity, concentration, and raises levels of stress. It’s been four months but I am still not used to this crazy pace. Sorry about the rant, Mr. Palmer.”

 

 “Think nothing of it son, because you just said a mouthful. The way some of the fools drive up and down these roads, you have to wonder if they’re drunk, high, or asleep behind the wheel.”

 

“My partner Brian always accuses me of being a walking PSA but statistics prove…”

 

My cell phone belts out the lyrics to Beverly Hillbillies theme song. I know, it’s so lame and totally cliché but I loved that sitcom. “Excuse me for a moment, Mr. Palmer. Hey Brett, what’s up! Seriously? Are you kidding me? Look, I’m on the way so I’ll see you in twenty minutes.” I disconnected the call.

 

“Is there a problem, Kid? If you need to go back to the studio just say the word and I can just turn this fancy jalopy around.”

 

“No, sir. The only problem is that the day isn’t over. Brett claims he needs all hands on deck because we need to schmooze a group of power players with deep pockets who plan to attend some dinner party he decided to throw tonight. Apparently, these moneybags are holding the cash that helps to finance this movie project that is already over budget. I would love nothing better than to tell Brett that I’m too wiped out to even think about showing my face at this celebrity who’s who tonight but he would have a fit.”

 

“Well Justin, it’s a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. Try not to party too hard because I will be here for you at 8 am sharp.  You are still a growing boy so try to get some rest so that you will be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed tomorrow.”

 

 “Will do and thanks again, Mr. Palmer. See you in the morning.”

 

I let myself into my temporary home and all I want to do is crash on my comfy bed all alone in this bungalow for a couple of hours. Then I will get cleaned up and make nice with some of Brett’s powers that be. The cottage smells lemony fresh courtesy of the hired help Brett uses to spruce up the place for events like the one he is putting on tonight. As I enter my bedroom, I see a tall slim woman dusting the nightstand and peering intently at the framed photo of Brian.

 

She was at least an inch maybe two taller than me and toned like most of the beautiful people here in LaLa Land. Her wavy auburn hair hung down to the middle of her back in a ponytail. She was wearing skintight black jeans, a snug black tee that barely covered her midsection, and black high-top Nikes.

 

“Hi, the place looks great. Thank you and let me give you something extra for your trouble. I am so sorry I left this place in such a mess this morning.”

 

The woman turned around slowly to face me. She had bold beautiful features but she was just a girl in her late teens, maybe.

 

 “Hey, how are you doing? Listen, do you mind if I ask you a question?”  She poked the tip of her tongue out and glanced at me from the corner of her eyes. “How do you know this guy, Brian Kinney?”

 

“I’ve known him three years. Brian is my…he’s…my partner but, it’s complicated. Why do you ask?”

 

The pretty teen smiled and rolled her full lips into her lush mouth. “And, when you say partner are we talking business, pleasure, or both?” 

 

I gasped as the breath I was holding left my lungs in a rush.

 

“Hey dude, just keep calm and breathe.  What’s the matter? Are you feeling okay because you look like you’ve just seen a ghost? Maybe you should sit down for a minute. Can I get you a bottle of water from the fridge?”

 

 “No thanks and I’m sorry Miss, uh, have we met because I don’t believe I know you? By the way, my name is Justin Taylor. Who are you? What is your name?”

 

The stunning teen rolled her eyes and tossed the thick locks of hair over her left shoulder. “Sooooo many questions but I’m okay with that. However, I think the polite thing to do would be to introduce myself. I am pleased to meet you, Justin Taylor. Most of my friends still call me Ginger on account of the hair when I was a little kid.  Not a day goes by that I forget to thank all the gods who heard my prayers and blessed me by toning it down a few shades. But my government name is Breeahna K. Johnson.”

 

The young woman stepped closer to me slipped a card into my sweaty palm. I scanned the information on the card quickly.

 

“Wow! You just turned two shades paler than you were a moment ago. You must not be from around here. Anywho, I would give you three guesses as to what the ‘K’ may stand for Mr. Justin Taylor, but you look like a smart guy so I don’t think you will need that many. And now that I have let you all up into my business, I have a question for you. Who do you think I am?” 

 

My knees gave out so I decided to take her advice and sit down on the edge of my king-sized bed. My mind went blank and I couldn’t form a sentence if my life depended on it. All I could do was gaze at the attractive young woman before me. Her flawless skin was light gold and the wavy hair was a medium shade of Auburn. The wide-set round eyes were a paler shade of green but those differences didn’t matter. I was staring at someone who was the image of Brian Kinney if special effects animators were to morph his features, face, and form into that of a teenaged girl.

 

This is so surreal. Maybe this is all a crazy dream. I came in the cottage and fell asleep because I like I told Mr. Palmer, sleep deprivation is like that. Not!

 

Oh my god, there is no way I can ignore this or even think about keeping something like this on the low.  Maybe I am jumping the gun and or jumping to conclusions but I don’t believe I am.  What am I going to do about Brian! 

 

It’s bad enough that I feel like he has been distancing himself from me lately. I know he’s working extra hard on several important accounts. I haven’t seen him in over a month and we used to talk several nights a week but the calls are down to a trickle. Brett assured me that I was only supposed to be here in Hollywood for six weeks but it has been longer than four months and we are still slogging our way through this project with no end in sight.

 

Brian’s recent radio silence tells me that something is up with him. In my expert opinion, he is making his way toward Mt. Kinney and is about to boot someone…me… off of it!

 

How in the name of Gay Hell do I go about telling him about this girl? How in the world is he going to handle a revelation like this?  I am going to have to talk to Brian in person because this development is way too big to discuss over the phone. I can visualize exactly what will happen. His head will explode, he will have a meltdown, and then he will have the queen out of the century. But before I tell him anything I will need a lot more information, cold hard facts, and irrefutable proof.

 

Because according to this girl’s… Breeahna K. Johnson’s…driver’s license, and the smirk on her gorgeous face, I have almost no doubt that the sixteen-year-old daughter of Brian ‘take no prisoners’ Kinney is standing in my bedroom.

 

God help us all!

 

 

TBC

End Notes:

Sorry this update took so long, but I had computer issues and I am technology challenged.

Thanks a bunch for reading. Comments, reviews, and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Chapter 3 BAFFLED, BOTHERED, & BEMUSED by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Justin and Brian roll down the rabbit hole.

 

 “Earth to Justin Taylor. Hello, is there anybody home?” Bree’ahna flicked Justin lightly on the forehead.

 

“Uh sorry, I’m just trying to regroup. Forgive me for zoning out on you Bree’ahna, but I think I’m back now. If you don’t mind, I will take you up on that bottle of water. I’m feeling a little dizzy or maybe I’m just a bit dehydrated.”

 

“You’re a teeny bit green around the gills. Just for the record, I hope you realize I am off the clock. If you toss your cookies all over this nice clean floor you are on your own. Maybe you should drop your head between your knees and take several deep breaths.”

 

Bree’anah reached into the mini-fridge and handed Justin a bottle of chilled water. He unscrewed the cap and gulped down several mouthfuls.

 

“Thanks, I’ll be okay. And if you will give me a minute, I think I will be almost ready to address the pink and purple polka dotted elephant in the corner of this room. ”

 

“Take your time, Justin Taylor.  Maybe I shouldn’t have sprung this on you the way I did but I was caught off guard. I know you must have a zillion questions for me so, give me your cell phone for a sec.”

 

He placed the mobile in the slim strong hand and watched as she quickly added and saved her number to his contacts.

 

 “Oh, by the way, I am on cleanup duty tomorrow because Brett’s place is gonna be a hot mess when the beautiful people are done partying all night long. I’m not even mad because that guy is generous and a girl can always use an extra buck or two.

 

That means I’ll probably still be here by the time you knock off but if not, feel free to give me a call tomorrow when you’re up to it so that we can hook up and chat some more.

 

So for now, I’ll leave you to your thoughts and I hope you have a good time tonight at the ball, Cinderfella.”

 

Bree’ahna sauntered toward the cottage door with a very familiar cat-like grace, smiled at the befuddled young man over her shoulder, and closed it gently behind her.

 

Justin sprawled on the couch, closed his eyes, and tried to slow down the rapid beating of his heart.

 

‘I was beginning to feel like I was watching an episode of The Twilight Zone. Talking and interacting with the girl was scary and surreal because she is so like him. Like Brian.

 

Justin gulped down the remainder of the bottled water.

 

I would be a bold-faced liar if I tried to say I didn’t have a million kazillion questions swarming around in my brain.  First and foremost, is Bree’ahna really telling the truth? Now that I can think and breathe on my own again, I recall her mentioning that she started researching Brian close to a year ago.  When I asked if she contacted or confronted him in any way, she merely gave me that patented Kinney tongue-in-cheek smirk and did not confirm or deny.  Finally, she divulged plans to pay him a visit at the end of the summer right before her senior year.

 

On the other hand, who’s to say that Brian doesn’t already know about the existence of this stunning young lady who may be his daughter? The Mr. Kinney I know, love, and would like to smother in his sleep sometimes, is one of the most private people I have ever met. He plays his cards close to his chest and his thoughts are top secret, classified, and on a need to know basis. His brain works like a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by an enigma…sort of way. He can be exhausting on a good day.

 

But whether he knows or doesn’t know won't eliminate door number three and the can of worms that is rattling around behind it.  For some reason, I had always assumed…and yes, I know what they say about what assuming can do to a person…that Lindsay was Brian’s only experiment/experience with the opposite sex. 

 

After all, Brian always made it perfectly clear that while he wasn’t the least bit confused about his sexual orientation, he was a bit curious about what all the fuss was about.

 

It is common knowledge the two BFs had a brief fling during their college freshman year.  Fortunately, at the end of a couple of months of summer madness, they came to their senses and resumed the role of ‘just besties’.  It was only a glitch therefore, the earth went back to spinning on its axis, the planets re-aligned themselves properly, and the impending apocalypse was diverted. 

 

 Ergo, if Bree’ahna is Brian’s firstborn, she would have had to have been conceived when he was fourteen no, more like fifteen years old.  Just the idea of fathering a kid when you’re not old enough to get a driver’s license squicks me out more than a little.

 

Yeah I know, stuff happens whether you take precautions or not. And don’t get me wrong because I’m not judging. And if I was, what would be the point?  On the night we met, he made no secret of the fact that he was an early bloomer. There is no shame in Brian’s game. 

 

Ordinarily, something like this would be none of my beeswax except someone made it my business and even though I want to I can’t just let it go. My brain is so totally fried right now.  I just wish I could place this conundrum on a back burner and deal with it sometime during the next 10 years or never would be even better.

 

For now, I’m going to grab some shut eye so that I will be able to mix and mingle for a few hours with the rich, the famous, and the plastic.

 

But first thing tomorrow morning, I will be contacting Brian Kinney AKA The Stud of Liberty Avenue. He has been MIA for several weeks…no return calls, texts, or emails… and that means one thing, he is working out a way to drop kick me off the infamous Kinney cliff.

 

But, over the years I learned to be proactive by downloading a current copy of the Kinney operating manual and I know him inside and out from cover to cover.

 

 If I have to call Brian every hour on the hour, so be it. I wrote the book on stalking 101.

 

Next morning at Kinnetik

“Brian, this is getting really old, really quick. If it was your pal Michael…’Brian is my best friend’…Novotny blowing up our phone lines or any of your other lovely family members I wouldn’t bat an eye. But it’s Justin. Remember him? The sweet blond guy who thinks you hung the moon.”

 

“Cynthia dear, I didn’t hear you knock but do come in any way. It is so hard to find and retain good help these days. Some employees lose their minds and become insufferably insubordinate. Others become woefully incompetent and have no problem producing substandard work. For instance, these boards submitted by my art department are a joke.”

 

Cynthia stalked over to Brian’s desk paying zero attention to the frown on her employer’s expressive face.

 

“Justin asked me to tell you it is important that he speak with you and he will keep calling until you pick up. He knows you are not on a conference call, or pitching to a client, on a business lunch, or in the bathroom. So help me, Kinney, you will take his call now!”

 

She spun on the heel of her red Manolos with military precision and marched out of the office back to her desk. The irritated woman may have mumbled something under her breath that sounded like the pig-headed idiot.

 

“Fine, put the little twat through.” Brian gripped and grumbled about uppity, bossy, blond bimbos. 

 

“Brian, finally. I thought we would play phone tag all day…wait, what did I hear you call me?”

 

“Hey Twat, long time, no hear. It is crazy in here today. We are hustling on a project that was due yesterday so I couldn’t take your calls earlier. It’s been a while so tell me, how’s it going out there in the land of stars and silicone implants?”

“Brian, are you kidding me?  I have been trying to contact you all morning but I am soooo not going there with you right now.  I have so much to tell you but I hardly know where to start but I really can’t do this over the phone. I know you are super busy so I’ll be brief. Something really big went down recently and I uhhh, met someone. And I’m…um…I’m calling because it’s really important to me that you get to meet them too…and…

 

Um Bri, are you still there? What the…can did you hear me? Did my crappy phone drop the call? Brian?” 

 

My powers of speech deserted me for a moment because I’ve forgotten that Sunshine is a ballsy little twat with a lot of nerve.  I wish I could say I didn’t see this one coming. However, I knew it was a distinct possibility the twink would find some guy that checked all the boxes on his perfect boyfriend list.

 

I am surprised he held out this long.  I’ve told him time and time again there are no locks on our door, so it appears he was listening after all. Can’t believe he’s dumping me over the phone but, I guess it’s better than a text or email.

 

“No need to get your princess panties in a twist, I’m still here Twat, and you’re coming through loud and clear.”

 

 “So Bri, is it possible that you can fly in on Friday evening so that we can all hang out together?”

 

“Sounds really hot but I have too many irons in the fire to take the time off for a three-way, Justin.” I cleared my throat and took a deep breath. “How about you give me a rain check and rest assured we will make it happen some other time.”

 

“My bad Brian, you’re confused and it’s my fault because I didn’t take the time to explain properly. I’m not trying to get you here for a hook up with some dime a dozen trick for a three-way.”

 

“Well then Sunshine, this guy you met, dare I say it might be true love? You have finally seen the light and found a prince who can make all your little princess dreams come true. Good job and thanks for taking the time to contact me and give me a heads up.”

 

“Brian, stop right there and listen to me. There is no one else. After all this time, can you really not know how I feel about you? Do you have so little faith in me that you think I would dump you over the phone? Who does that?

 

I know what has been going on in your stubborn head because I am so on to you. You have been distancing yourself from me in order to give me the option of jumping off Kinney cliff on my own before you decide to take matters into your hands and shove me off. Ain’t gonna happen, Big Guy. But seriously, please reconsider because I really need for you to make your way out here asap.”

 

“Justin, at this point in time, I can make no promises. I’ll have to get back to you and let you know if I can work something out. Gotta go. Later, Brat.”

 

“Love you, Brian. Later.”

 

Brian pressed the intercom button on his phone. “Cynthia, why don’t you earn your generous paycheck by getting me a reservation for a flight out to LA within the next 48 hours and clear my schedule for the remainder of the week.”

 

“Sure thing, Boss, I’m on it. For the record, I’m thrilled you have decided to pull your head out and check on Justin. It has been way too long. You Irish are such a hard-headed stubborn lot.”

 

“Shut it, Blondie before Theodore has one less check to cut for Friday’s payroll.”

 

“Oh please, Kinney. When will you get it through your head that I am the real boss behind this little operation? Please try to remember that you are only a figurehead with a title. By the way, you’re all set with an open ticket for your flight. You’re welcome.”

 

“Thanks, Boss Lady. Now get back to work and try to do your job for a change.”

TBC

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

I apologize for putting this story on hold for so long. I hate when writers don’t complete their stories. I had real life family issues to deal with and couldn’t get into the proper headspace for writing. Things are better now.

 

I wanted to finish the story before posting again so here it is and will be updated each week.

 

Thanks for reading, review, and commenting. I appreciate all feedback.

 

 

Chapter 4 BLAST FROM PAST by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Brian learns the meaning of the phrase for something or someone that surprises you because you had almost forgotten about it.

Justin stumbled through the doorway of his bungalow and sprawled face-down on his bed. He glanced at the clock on the nightstand and exhaled sharply.

 

“Seriously, is it really 2:46 am? The guys on my animation team insisted that we would only hang out at the sports bar on the corner for a couple of hours after knocking off this evening. We all agreed to toss back a drink or two, shooting some pool, and calling it a night. I should have known better.  Those guys party hard 24/7. Thank God it is almost the weekend and I can sleep until Monday morning.”

 

“Cutting it kind of close, aren’t you, Sunshine? You are exactly fourteen minutes away from turning into a pumpkin. Had a busy night?”

 

I switched on the lamp beside my bed. “Brian, is that really you? When did you get here? You almost gave me a heart attack. Why are you sitting in the dark? How come you didn’t let me know you were on the way? The last thing you said was that you would get back to me. How long will you be here? God Brian, I missed you so much.”

 

Justin bounced from the bed, threw his arms around Brian’s neck, and pulled the taller man’s head down for a tongue-filled kiss.

 

 “Silly Twat, have I ever told you that you talk too much?”  Brian murmured when they came up for air.

 

In record time, he stripped Justin then himself down to their birthday suits.  When he lifted the younger man into his arms, Justin wrapped his legs around Brian’s slim waist and held on tight as they stumbled their way to the king-sized bed.

 

“Now Sunshine, in zero words or less, why don’t you use that hot little mouth of yours to show and tell me how much you have missed me?”

************************************************************************************

Brian groaned and opened his bleary eyes. The morning sunlight streaming through the sheer curtains pierced his brain. He lifted his head from the pillow, slid from under Justin, and stumbled to the bathroom. After he tidied himself up a bit, he slipped into a pair of tight black briefs and made his way to the kitchen to brew a much-needed pot of coffee.

 

Insistent knocking and the pealing of the doorbell interrupted his search through Justin’s pantry.

 

“Hey Justin Taylor, open the door. My hands are full and I’m about to drop our breakfast. It is almost 10:30 so please tell me you’re not still in bed. Yo, Cinderfella…”

 

Brian yanked open the door. “It is far too early to have to deal with someone screeching at the top of their lungs. Were you raised by wolves?”

 

Brian glared at the slim motionless figure standing on the threshold. Her wide gray-green eyes met his and the full red mouth gaped open in what appeared to be a combination of shock, surprise, and disbelief.

 

“A moment ago, you were yelling like a banshee now it appears that the cat has got your tongue. Young people these days. You might as well come in and put that stuff on the counter. I assume Justin has acquired another fag hag to do his bidding.”

 

Justin padded into the kitchen and wrapped his arms around Brian’s slim waist. “Good morning, I could have sworn I heard the door.” He purred in a throaty voice as he peppered tiny kisses down Brian’s neck and back.  “I don’t know which one smells more delicious, you or that coffee.” He allowed his hands to drift down to Brian’s taut abs and would have gone lower if the man in his arms didn’t stop his leisurely explorations.

 

“Uh Sunshine, you know I’m not shy, but maybe you should hold that thought a second ‘cause we seem to have company.” Brian tilted his head toward the doorway.

 

Justin peered around the taller man’s body and nearly swallowed his own tongue. “Whoa, Bree what are you…where did you… uhh I mean, good morning what a surprise? Oh and umm Bri, this is Bree. Bree, this is…” Justin took a deep breath.

 

“Yeah right, like I don’t know who he is. You are such a WASP, Justin Taylor. Hello, Brian Kinney. Please forgive my lack of manners earlier but you caught me by surprise. May I add that it is a pleasure to meet you at last?”

 

 “Brian, this is the person I uh, was telling you about on the phone. But I didn’t intend for us to meet under these circumstances. Let’s put some clothes on first. Bree, please give us a few minutes. I promise we’ll be right back.”

 

Justin hustled Brian back down the hallway to the bedroom.

 

“Sunshine, Daphne is going to be so jealous when she accidentally learns you are cheating on her with a brand new red hot fag hag.  There’s nothing like having a ringside seat at a knock-down-drag-out, free-for-all melee of a cat fight. I haven’t seen a good one in years. But I digress. Twat, do you want to explain why this gal pal of yours is so pleased to meet yours truly?”

 

Justin threw on a pair of shorts and a tank top. “First of all Brian, when we go back out there I want you to just listen, keep an open mind, and behave! I know you will be blown away because I am still reeling, believe you me.”

 

“Justin, your friend is lovely but I didn’t fly 3000 miles to go on a play date with you and your new bestie.” Brian slid a pair of faded jeans up his slim legs, pulled a black tee over his tousled head, and followed Justin back out into the living area.

 

“I hope you two know I could hear you loud and clear. Justin Taylor, is your “it’s complicated” partner always soooooo warm and fuzzy?  Whatever, you don’t have to answer that. I knew from day one that Mr. Kinney would be a tough nut to crack but meeting up with the two of you this morning was the furthest thing from my mind.

 

Listen, I didn’t think you would have company this morning and even though we agreed to hang out, I probably should have called first. I wasn’t raised in Wasp World but I know all the ins and outs of the hive protocol and mentality. My Grammy would be so disappointed in me. Yay!

 

So anyway, I’m going to save everybody some time and a lot of energy and just do this the easy way. When we were talking the other day I dumped a lot on you.  A blind person could see that you were totally skeptical about everything I told you and that is why I came prepared this time.  Bear with me while I knock out two birds with one stone and then we can all move on from there.”

 

Bree’ahna rifled through her tote bag, pulled out a manila envelope and passed several documents to Brian and Justin.

 

The Stud of Liberty Avenue focused his attention on what appeared to be a copy of a Birth Certificate for the state of California.

 

Name                       Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston

Date of Birth           May 20, 1987

Mother’s name         Leilani Johnston age 18

Father’s name         Brian Kinney age 16

 

Brian’s normally bronze skin paled slightly then he flushed a deep red. “Is this supposed to be a joke or am I being punked? Justin, you little twat, tell your little Hollywood buddies to turn off the hidden cameras because I am not amused or entertained.”

 

“Brian listen, I swear to you that we aren’t fooling around. Please try to understand that this is serious business!”

 

“Sure it is Sunshine. Let me give you a bit of advice young lady if you came to Hollywood to become an actress think again and don’t give up your day job. What is it anyway, waitress, exotic dancer, call girl?”

 

“Brian, please don’t. Just look at her and then try not to tell me that she…”

 

 Breea’hna sighed, cut her eyes at Brian, and murmured to herself that Justin did not tell a lie when he said this gorgeous man…who was more than likely her male parental unit…put the snide in snark. “Save your breath, Taylor. Mr. Kinney, if it is not too much trouble, please take a look at the picture I gave you.”

 

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose and peered at the photo of a pretty tanned girl sitting in the lap of a young man. Justin gasped as he peered at the image. There was no doubt in his mind that the nearly unrecognizable adolescent face and body was none other than the stressed out man standing beside him. The caption on the bottom read: The Beach Bash…Leilani and Brian…August 30, 1986.

 

Brian swallowed around the knot that suddenly developed in his throat. “Where did you get this, who are you, and what are you really trying to tell me?”

 

“My name is Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston and I was born on your birthday, May 20, 1987. Is that cliché or what? I was given the picture by my mom when she had no choice but to come clean with me and give me the 411 on some things. As for who I am, well I know the idea of what I am telling you is beyond belief but, I am almost positive that I am your daughter, Mr. Kinney.”

 

 “And I am almost positive that I did not fall off a turnip truck and bump my head hard enough to just believe the words coming out of the mouths of two delusional teen twats.”

 

Brian whipped out his mobile phone as he padded his way back to the bedroom and slammed the door shut.

 

“Cynthia, I need for you to connect me with a DNA testing lab here in LA and find out if a paternity test can be scheduled immediately with the results produced like yesterday. Put me on hold, I’ll wait.”

 

“Well, hello to you too, Boss.  Tell me, have you seen any movie stars yet? I bet Justin was shocked, surprised, and amazed to see you last night. Whoa, excuse me? Did you say paternity test? Stop pulling my leg. You’ve been in La-La Land less than twelve hours. I want to know the name of the Hollywood hussy who convinced you to join Team Hetero. Silly me, that would never happen. So, I guess you’re wondering if you’ve knocked up Justin. Right? Why don’t you two wait a few days and then go to a pharmacy and buy a pregnancy test?”

 

“Cynthia put me on hold and locate that office. Stat!” Brian snarled as he shoved his feet into a pair of Gucci loafers and stalked back out to the kitchen area.

 

“Justin, I’m going to go for a walk because I need a minute or ten to decompress. I will be back shortly so don’t either of you leave this cottage because our conversation is not over. Rest assured I will get to the bottom of this fiasco when I get back.”

 

“Brian, please don’t…”

 

“Justin, let it go for now. I said I’ll be back shortly.”

 

Brian glared at the distraught young man for a few seconds then walked out the door.

 

Justin helped himself to one of the extra-large cups of Starbucks coffee. “That went well. Brian is so angry that it wouldn’t surprise me if he walked all the way back home to Pittsburgh. He was talking to his right-hand man, Cynthia. She’s probably making his reservations for his return flight even as we speak. I’m sorry Bree, Brian really hates surprises. Are you okay?”

 

“I’m just peachy. In my opinion, it could have been worse. He could have dumped these delicious cups of coffee over my head, cussed both of us out, and then walked away. I didn’t think for one moment that he was going to open his arms and tell me to come to Papa. Did you? Of course, he was going to lose it.

 

I feel his pain because I HATE…with a capital ‘H’ being blindsided. I understand completely if he was feeling a little bit pissy. How would you have reacted if some random but hot chick rolled up on you and tried to tell you that she was your long-lost daughter?”

 

“At the risk of sounding like a facetious jerk, if someone told me I had a teenaged daughter, I would say it was a miracle because I turned twenty a few months ago.”

 

“Bwah ha ha! Justin Taylor, you got jokes!  But seriously, I could’ve should’ve would’ve handled this coming out better if I had more time to prepare. I screwed up big time and now Mr. Kinney hates me and will probably never get the chance to know the treasure that I am.

 

By the way, your coffee is getting cold and yeah, I am going to need for you to take these doughnuts away from me because I’m all kinds of stressed right now and won’t stop eating them until there is nothing left but crumbs. Carbs make me blow up like a balloon and muffin tops are only cute on babies.”

 

 “You’ve got to be his kid because you are just as much of a drama queen as Brian can be on occasion.  Listen to me Bree, don’t throw in your towel yet because I got a good feeling about this entire situation. I have only known you for a very short while but, I think you are intelligent, classy, resourceful, independent, and gorgeous.  Those are a few of the qualities that impress Brian.

 

When all the dust settles and everything checks out, and Brian recovers from his breakdown, he will love you without reservation. And you can take that to the bank.”

 

Twenty minutes later, Bree and I were splitting the last doughnut when to our surprise and relief, Tropical Storm Brian blew back into the bungalow.

 

“Bree’ahna, I need to speak with your mother RIGHT now, so if you would get her on the phone and… what’s with the eye roll? Is that request going to be a problem for you, young lady?”

 

“No, I don’t have a problem with what you’re asking,” Bree muttered and did the eye roll thing again.

 

“So, the reason for your suddenly negative attitude should not be attributed to the fact that you are afraid your little scheme or ploy for attention is about to be blown out of the water? Yeah, right.”

 

Bree rolled her eyes a third time. “Whatever, because I know what I know, Mr. Kinney. Even though it’s staring you in the face, you still need tangible proof and you are entitled to it. I get that. But, I don’t see why we need to add Mommy Dearest to the mix right now.

 

The lovely lady Leilani and I don’t exactly see eye to eye on many things and contacting you is at the bottom of the list. I don’t feel like dealing with her attitude or her drama. I am an emancipated minor so we don’t need for her to be here and I sure don’t need her permission to run my own life.”

 

“Why am I not surprised to learn that you are an emancipated minor?” Brian pinched the bridge of his nose and while massaging the throbbing vein on his forehead. “Nevertheless, I insist that you give your mom a call right now so that I can speak with her. She and I need to have a long overdue talk.” 

 

“Fine by me but, I do have one condition, I want to witness her meltdown in person. Mrs. Leilani Johnston-Frasier will lose her ever-loving mind. This is going to be soooooo good.” Bree’ahna rolled her lips into her mouth then grinned from ear to ear as she punched a button on her mobile.

 

“Hey Lani, this is your daughter, Bree. I know you don’t recognize the number because I haven’t given it to you yet. I’m fine and thanks for asking. No Lani, there is no problem and unlike you, I am not in trouble. Oh yes, you are Lani, big trouble. Big! Listen, I have someone here who needs to speak with you. Hold on, here he is.”

 

Bree’ahna gave her phone to Brian.

 

“Leilani Johnston, this is Brian Kinney. Does that name ring a bell for you? I have just been made privy to some important information that I should have been aware of more than sixteen years ago. I am in town for the remainder of the week and I have taken the liberty of scheduling an appointment for the three of us…you, me, and Bree’ahna…for 10 am tomorrow morning.

 

However, you and I need to catch up first. Bree’ahna will give you the address, I will send a car for you, and you will be here in exactly one hour. I would appreciate your cooperation, Leilani. I am returning you back to Bree’ahna.”

 

“Hey Lani, this is Bree, again. Do you have something to write with or should I just send you a text?”

 

Bree jerked the phone away from her ear as a voice filled with anger, annoyance, and indignation assaulted all ears in the room. “Bree’ahna  Kinney Johnston, what in the world have you done?!”

 

“Bye Lani.  I sent you the text, see you in a few.” Bree smirked and rubbed her palms together. “She used my full government name. That means Princess Leilani is 38 hot!”

TBC

 

 

End Notes:

 Have any of you ever seen the 1999 movie “BLAST FROM THE PAST” starring Brendan Frasier and Alicia Silverstone? I thought it was hilarious.

 

I appreciate all comments and reviews so thanks for reading.

 

Chapter 5 KICKING, SCRATCHING, AND TRIPPING DOWN MEMORY LANE by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Only the barest minimum of nostalgia/warm fuzzies will be expressed by any or all of the parties involved during the following portion of this story. 

 

Justin was standing at the window when the black town car pulled up to the curb. An elegant young woman swung impossibly long toned legs out of the vehicle and swanned her way to the front door.

 

“Are you kidding me, Bree? You didn’t tell me that your mom is a dead ringer for Tyra Banks. She’s so young and gorgeous, and wow! She could be your older sister, a cousin, or a young auntie but, there is no way that woman can claim to be your mom.”

 

“Seriously, Cinderfella? What am I? Chopped liver? I can clean up good too, you know.  I never gave you the impression that my mother looked like the Crypt Keeper. After all, she had me when she was only eighteen. Anywho, Princess Leilani’s head is big enough as it is so can you please stop gushing before she strolls in here?”

 

Brian cleared his throat. “Sunshine, please go to the door and admit our guest.”

 

Justin zipped his lips and ambled off to usher in Bree’s female parental unit who has a whole lot of ‘splaining to do.

 

“Mrs. Johnston-Frazier, do please come in and have a seat anywhere you like. May I offer you something cold to drink?”

 

Let the games begin.

 

“Hey Lani girl, and welcome to the party. I really thought you would pull a no-show. This is my new friend Justin Taylor and his partner who I am certain you do recognize after all these years…”

 

“That’s quite enough, Bree’ahna.  I have asked you repeatedly to call me Mom, Mommy, Mama, or Mother because, despite the documents you were granted by the State of California, you are still not grown enough to address me by my first name.”

 

Leilani turned to the two men standing in the room. “Justin, I am pleased to meet you. Brian, you look good and it is nice to see you again.”

 

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose and squeezed his eyes shut for a moment.

 

“Thank you, Leilani. You are as lovely as you were on the day we met for the first time. But I’m going to just cut to the chase because I don’t believe in beating around the bush. I have any number of doubts but I also have 20/20 vision and I am a firm believer of the saying “Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.”  So, I have one question for you, Leilani. Why?”

 

“Brian, it is such a long story.” Leilani placed her Prada clutch on the counter as she slid with boneless grace into a straight-backed chair.

 

“You can allow me to be the judge of that. I have all weekend so feel free to begin at the beginning.”

 

“That’s fine by me, Brian. But please do me the courtesy of hearing me out before you read me the riot act, chew me up, and spit me out. Deal?”

 

Justin slipped his hand into Brian’s and squeezed lightly. Brian finally nodded as he tightened his fingers around his young partner’s smaller hand.

 

Leilani’s POV

My family and I made the move to L.A. two days after we met and parted, Brian. By the end of October ‘86, we were just about settled into a new life here in the land of sun and stars. Of course, I was still missing my friends and my old life in Pittsburgh but the art of making new friends was easy for me.

 

Everything was hunky-dory in Leilani’s little world until the day I nearly passed out during cheerleading practice. It was extremely hot on the field so the team captain made everyone take repeated breaks in order to stay hydrated. I chalked the incident up to low blood sugar. I had decided to skip lunch that afternoon because the smell of the meatloaf on my tray turned my stomach.

 

However, a few days later I was at home washing dishes after dinner when that light-headed feeling blind-sided me again. I was so dizzy and I felt my knees begin to buckle. My little sister grabbed my arm to steady me but, the scent of peanut butter and chocolate on her breath made me recoil away from her. I staggered to our guest bedroom in order to prostrate myself on my hands and knees before the pink porcelain goddess in residence there.

 

And that’s when I realized I was more than three weeks late!

 

So, as soon as my stomach settled itself, I drove to the drugstore for a six-pack of ginger ale, saltine crackers, and two pregnancy tests.

 

The next afternoon, I made a phone call to one of best my girlfriends back in the Pitts. It seems like yesterday when I remember how we chit-chatted for a bit before I got down to the reason for my call.

 

  “Hey Jillette, remember the Beach Bash in August right before I moved out here to L.A.? My boy Floyd brought this dude with him and he and I hung out all day. Yes, that really hot guy all you hating biddies were trying to cop from me. I want to send him a few pics but I don’t have an address. If you would contact Floyd and ask him to call me ASAP, I would appreciate you. Thanks, Girl.

 

 And don’t forget, when you come to visit me here in Tinsel Town during Xmas break, we are going to have a banging good time. See ya!”

 

One week later, I was lying across my bed with a cool damp cloth draped over my eyes. Between puking and moaning, I was positive that if morning sickness didn’t kill me, the shame of anyone getting to know that I allowed myself to be impregnated by a cub scout would.

 

 To my dismay, Floyd had informed me that you, Brian Kinney, was practically a preschooler. He thought it was a big fat joke and I was beyond humiliated. While I chewed him a new one, Floyd kept trying to defend the two of you by saying it was my fault I chose to jump to conclusions. While it is true that you never said you were a senior, the two of you were guilty of lying through omission.

 

Anyway, all that he said, she said, didn’t change the fact that for me, you were merely a lowly little rising sophomore who – and I’ll own it, due to my own carelessness - could claim the dubious honor of knocking up a prom queen.

 

If anyone I knew found out that you were the father of my child, not only would my reputation have landed in the toilet, I’d probably end up in jail as well.  I became an eighteen-year-old woman less than a month after we moved away and in my mind, you were this snot-nosed -God help me because I can still barely stand the thought - 15-year-old baby.

 

I decided the identity of my baby’s daddy would remain my little secret. And I compounded the wrongness of my decision by being spiteful and petty.  I decided that it would be okay to wait a few years for you…Jailbait Kinney…to grow up and become legal before presenting you with a surprise kid. 

 

I promised myself to do the right thing and keep the baby but make no mistake, no squalling crumb snatcher was gonna make me slow my roll. I told my folks some of the truth, namely that I was so upset at the idea that I was leaving my entire life behind that I got drunk at a party and can’t recall who I was with.

 

You see, in my family, a little bit of guilt goes a long way. I knew my parents would step up and more than likely raise my kid because they knew I was not about that life. I had every intention of continuing to get my kicks while I was still young and hot enough to get them.

 

I didn’t return to school after Christmas break was over. I was beginning to show so I moved in with an aunt who lived in the suburbs and completed my courses through a correspondence school for girls who had gotten themselves in a situation. But I did show up and showed out in my cap and gown for graduation with my class at my old school ten days after Bree was born.

 

Being someone’s mother was the furthest thing from my mind the entire time I carried Bree.  But I changed my tune from the moment I held her in my arms. She was screaming her head off as if she had done all the work of being born. But as soon as they handed her to me we clicked and Bree became my Mini-Me.

 

Everyone thought I would leave her with my parents when I scored the opportunity to be a make-up artist for a band. I shut them all down when I took Bree with me then and kept her with me when I modeled in Europe for a few months.

 

By the way, I gave it up that gig quicker than you can say Bob Mackie for two reasons. One, being away from family and friends sucked. And two, I was starving all the time because eating real food and staying thin enough to wear couture was a fantasy.

 

Tony was one of our photographers and he as well as the entire crew was crazy about Bree. It was like she was everybody’s baby. She traveled with us until it was time for her to start school. By that time, Tony and I had been married three years and as far as everyone was concerned, he was her dad.

 

It never occurred to either of us to tell her any different. We thought it would traumatize her and kept saying we would wait until she was a little older.

 

Some of my reasoning was due to my selfish shallow attitude. The older Bree became, the harder it was for me to look her in the face and admit that the only reason she was in existence is due to the fact her teen mom slipped up. I didn’t want to look bad in my daughter’s eyes by revealing she was the result of drinking, drugging, and sleeping with a really young guy I didn’t know from Adam.

 

And don’t forget to add to that the possibility of being accused of committing statutory rape. Can somebody at least cut me some slack because I thought everyone there was legal or close to it and I was not in the habit of having to card guys that I was interested in?

 

Brian, I thanked all the gods I knew that you were at least fifteen and that I celebrated my 18th birthday in LA instead of the Pitts.

 

Well, let’s just say that those situations were not the kind of things to brag about to an impressionable young girl or anyone else who cared about me.  I took the easy way out and I’ll say it again, I was wrong.

 

People wouldn’t know it from the way we butt heads but Bree and I weren’t always at each other’s throats. Until recently we were like peas-in-a-pod close.

 

But then Tony was in that accident last year and we thought he wasn’t going to make it.  Everything blew up in our faces, especially my own. I knew we would have a hard time explaining things but, I didn’t think I would lose the love, respect, and trust of my only child."


 I stared into the face of this drop-dead gorgeous man who has unknowingly been a part of my life for nearly seventeen years. Even down to this day, it galls me to admit how easily that younger version of Brian Kinney pulled the wool over my eyes.


 To tell the truth, even though the kid was still wet behind the ears and rhythmically challenged he was definitely a natural in the sack. Yeah, we were at the beach so I guess I should say in the grass, the sand, and the water. I remember telling myself God help us all when that baby stud is all grown up. And I wasn’t wrong. He is still beyond hot and according to word on the street, still gay. What a waste! But I will keep that info to myself because there is such a thing as oversharing.


“Anyway Brian, I never returned to the Pitts but, I had a couple friends who would keep me in the loop.  Sometimes I would wonder what I might have said if any of them ever thought to ask why I brought your name up from time to time. I never told any of my friends Bree was your daughter.


Every so often I would contact our boy, Floyd. He was the one who told me you graduated at top of your class and went to college on scholarship. Years later he mentioned you had gone gay and hung out on Liberty Ave. That sealed the deal for me and I figured I would leave you to your life and Bree, Tony, and I would live ours. It wasn’t right to make the decision for you but I just didn’t see someone with your reputation and lifestyle as daddy material. No offense.”


 “With all due respect Mrs. Johnston-Frasier, you assumed wrong,” Justin’s voice rang out with righteous indignation.  “You didn’t bother to even give him a chance to be a parent. You had no right to take away Brian’s choice.”


“Justin, we agreed to not interrupt and allow Leilani to have her say. And Leilani, just for the record, I am deeply offended by your presumptuousness.” Brian wrapped his arm around the younger man and placed a gentle kiss on the blond head.


“You are absolutely correct, Justin. And Brian, you have every right to be indignant. But allow me to state for the record, I never allowed myself to be comfortable with my decision. My conscience would eat me alive sometimes but, it is what it is.


 From time to time I would check on you Brian, and I was pleased to learn you made something of yourself. You became very successful and I would have been proud to call you Bree’s dad.”


“Thank you for the compliment, Leilani, but pardon me if I don’t jump up and give you a round of applause for that glowing testimonial. Am I supposed to be okay with the realization that you have spied on me and invaded my privacy time and time again?” Brian’s eyes narrowed as a vein throbbed in his forehead.


“Brian it’s not what you’re thinking. Everything I learned about you was common knowledge. It’s not like I hired a detective to shadow you or snoop through your life. Listen, I knew the day would come when Bree would demand answers from me. I know how bull-headed my daughter is. I wanted to know what kind of person you really were in order to protect my child. Can you understand where I’m coming from?


I was wrong to not tell you about Bree’ahna but I am not sorry. I felt like I was doing the right thing for all of us. You were still a child yourself. I don’t think you could have gotten a job to help support her if you wanted to, Brian.


I did what I thought was best because I was young, foolish, selfish, and embarrassed. I can’t undo what has been done, Brian. I can only ask for your understanding and maybe your forgiveness in time.


I feel as though I have spilled my guts enough for one day. Are we done here or do you feel the need to chew me out, Brian?”


“Leilani, thank you for coming and if I need further information from you, I will be in touch. Until tomorrow.”

 

 “Don’t worry Brian, I’ll be there for the testing in the morning. I owe you and my daughter that much.


As for you, Young Lady, you’ve punished your dad long enough. Please give Tony a call and let him know how you are doing. You know that we both still love you and miss you very much.


Justin, please don’t bother to get up, I will find my own way out. See you all tomorrow.”


Leilani uncrossed her legs, rose gracefully to her feet, and strolled out the front door. 


“Justin, I need to make several calls,” Brian uttered quietly as he closed the door to the bedroom.


Bree and I sat there staring out of the bay window as Leilani slid into the town car and drove away.


“Hey Justin, you and Brian probably need some time to digest so I’m going to bounce for now. There are some things I need to take care of today.”


“You don’t have to leave Bree, please don’t feel like I’m kicking you out. I have an idea. Text me your address so that you can ride with Brian and me tomorrow. See you around 9, ok?”


“Works for me, Taylor. See you later.”


 T B C

 

 

End Notes:

Do any of you guys remember that golden oldie MEMORY LANE by Minnie Riperton? I can’t believe she has been gone nearly forty years. November 8, 1947 – July 12, 1979.

Here’s a link if you want to check out that hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gnJk0etRM

 

Ms. Riperton and I share the same birthday and hometown, but she was blessed with the five octave vocal range, and I can barely carry a tune in a bucket.

She was beautiful, talented, and taken too soon.  RIP, Minnie…

 

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment and or review.

Chapter 6 FATHER'S DAY? by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

"Any fool can have a child. That doesn't make you a father. It's the courage to raise a child that makes you a father." Barack Obama

Justin’s POV

Brian lowered his lanky frame into the uncomfortable plastic chair next to mine in the waiting room.

 

“How do you feel, Brian? I know you’re glad it’s over. Now we play the waiting game. Are you ok,?”

 

 “I’m not certain, Sunshine. I keep expecting Jerry Springer to pop out of nowhere with that silly smirk on his tired mug and yell to the audience: Brian Kinney, you may or may not be the father!

 

Sunshine, you should have seen the look that cute little technician gave me when I sat down to have the inside of my cheek swabbed. She didn’t say a word but the expression on her face spoke volumes.

 

After she labeled the samples and tossed her gloves in the trash she just shook her head, smiled, and patted my shoulder.

 

‘Mr. Kinney… and didn’t hear this from me… you should have saved the money you just spent on those premium DNA tests to buy yourself a case of Cuban cigars and splurge on a couple of bottles of top shelf booze. That sassy young lady who was in my chair before you resembles her mom but, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles…God bless the dead…can see that you are the one who spit that child out. What? I’m just saying.

 

 By the way, test results are usually available within 24 to 48 business hours but we will put a priority rush on your file to expedite the process. Feel free to contact this office any time after 10 a.m. Monday morning.  Have a nice weekend, Dad!’

 

“You can’t imagine how badly I wished I could’ve morphed into Rage and used his mind control powers to make her cluck like a chicken for the next few days. Nice weekend? Yeah, right.”

 

Justin gave Brian a brief peck on the mouth. “Yeah, I’m proud of you Stud, for not biting off her head and stuffing it into one of those specimen vials. People have been maimed for daring to go where she went. Do you know want to know what I think? You’re being so calm, cool, and collected because in your heart you already know the truth. Am I right, Brian?”

 

“I know that is what you believe Twat, but I say you’re jumping the gun. As for me, I need cold hard facts.” Brian dropped his face into his hands. “I can’t believe this is happening. I need to get out of here so can we just round up the other player in this comedy of errors and hit the road?

 

God, Sunshine is that really your stomach growling like that?”

 

I could feel the blush stain my cheeks and ears. “Bri, I was too nervous to eat anything this morning. Leilani went home already, but Bree is right over there in the lobby area feeding the vending machine.”

 

Brian and Justin watched as the slim figure dressed in a form-fitting head-to-toe black ensemble swayed to the beat of the music coming from her earbuds.

 

 “She’s beautiful, isn’t she? Congratulations, Brian.”

 

“Brian sighed exhaled through his nose sharply. “Twat, go round up your crony so we can all get some real food into our collective bellies. Snickers and Coke at ten in the morning is just unnatural and so wrong.”

********************************************************************

 

Brett’s driver, Mr. Palmer, suggested a really nice diner in the downtown area that served a great brunch. He dropped us off and insisted that we take our time and call when we were ready.

 

Bree and I were starving so we ordered orange juice, milk, coffee, and stuffed French toast with sides of bacon and eggs. Brian splurged by adding some fruit to his usual his dry toast, egg whites, and black coffee.

 

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as Brian flirted with the totally hot waiter.

 

 Bree merely raised an eyebrow as she stared at Brian then back at me.

 

“Don’t mind him, Bree. He can’t help himself. Are you familiar with Pavlov’s dogs?”

 

“Woof!” Brian barked as he added half a cup of sugar to his coffee and winked at her playfully. “Seriously Bree’ahna, I couldn’t help but notice the tension and mild hostility between you and your mother. You resent your parents…your mom, mainly…for withholding information from you and she resents you for digging up the past…aka me…against her wishes. Do you mind if we talk about that instead of dwelling on where we went this morning?”

 

Bree nodded as she drained her glass of milk and blotted her full lips with the linen napkin. “Sure, no problem, Mr. Kinney.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

BREE’AHNA’S  POV

“Now, I don’t want you or Justin to get me wrong because I don’t hate my parents. But I was and still am still very angry and…I don’t know…kind of disappointed and confused about all this.

 

Lani and I were like best friends. Most of the time she treated me like an equal and Tony…well, he called me his princess and he will always be my dad. But, look… this will make more sense if I go back to the accident my parents almost lost their lives in a little over a year ago. Before everything changed and tore apart our happy family.

 

I got the call at school to report to the principal’s office. I thought it was for cutting class and hanging out in the senior’s lounge which was off limits to underclassmen.

 

My grandma and my auntie were there to rush me to the hospital. A truck driver ran the stop sign and totaled my parent’s car. My mom was injured and shook up but my dad was unconscious and in critical condition. He had lost so much blood and there was extensive damage. He was on the verge of kidney failure and if things didn’t improve he would need a transplant.

 

I must have been in shock because I kept screaming that I wanted to help. Daddy and I had the same blood type and I wouldn’t hesitate to donate blood and a kidney if it would keep him alive.

 

I told the doctors to test me but, my mother kept saying no. She said that we should look into contacting some of his other relatives to reduce the chance of his body rejecting the transplant. I couldn’t understand why she refused to see that I was the best candidate because I was his only child. He had no siblings or close relatives other than his elderly mother.

 

Finally, Leilani just put her foot down and insisted that it wouldn’t work and she didn’t want to subject me to all those tests and procedures unnecessarily. They decided to put my Dad on an organ donation registry, I think it was called. The family hoped for the best and prepared for the worse.

 

After a few days, Dad had regained consciousness and began to stabilize. He wasn’t out of the woods yet but he was doing so much better.

 

One afternoon, after he was discharged from ICU to a private room, I decided to visit and spend the afternoon with him. I was still furious with my mother and I thought she would not be there. But I was wrong. My parents were talking but it was more like arguing. I don’t think I have ever heard them get heated about anything before.

 

You see, Tony worshipped the ground Leilani walked on. It would gross me out when he would declare to anyone who would stand still long enough to listen that he would gladly drink her bath water. Eeewwwww!

 

 But that afternoon as I stood in the doorway of his room, he stared my mother down. He said:

Lani, time is up. Bree is not ignorant and she knows when something is not kosher. Eventually, she is going to put two and two together and question why we gave her so much push back on her offer to help save me. So, either you tell her or I will. It is your choice. We are being unfair and deceitful to keep her in the dark. She deserves to know the truth about who she really is so…’

 

That is when they caught sight of me standing there like a mannequin. At first, I couldn’t make a sound but then all of a sudden the words came exploding from my mouth.

 

“Who am I? Are you two trying to say that I am adopted? That’s crazy because I look just like the two of you. So, what is going on?”

 

My mother reached out to me but I stepped away. “Bree, we need to discuss this but not here. Not now.”

 

 “Please Bree, listen to your mother and…”

 

“No, you two tell me what is going on right now. I’m not going anywhere. What is the truth I deserve to know? Why were you both so positive I wouldn’t be a good match to help you out, Daddy?”

 

 I was so upset I didn’t realize I was screaming and out of control.

 

“Bree, Tony has loved you and helped me to raise you from the time that you were six months old. But I am sorry Bree, Tony is not your biological father.”

 

I couldn’t think or breathe. “So the two of you have been lying to me for the past 15 years? How could you? Who does something like that? What kind of people are you?”

 

 “Bree, we are your parents and your mother and I are the kind of people who love you.”

 

 A nurse bustled into the room to record patient vitals. “Have you all forgotten that you are in a hospital? I could hear you down at my station. Listen, Mr. Frazier is in no condition for such a stressful confrontation. Mrs. Frazier, perhaps you and your daughter should leave for a while so that he can settle down and get some rest.” 

 

 “Bree, I know you’re upset, we all are. Please let your mom take you home so that you two can talk and get through this. I love you Princess, and I will call you later.”

 

 “Talk? You guys had fifteen years to “talk to me!” Right now, I can’t even stand to look at the two of you. I’m out of here.”

 

I tore out of the hospital as if something was chasing me. I knew that my life would never be the same.

 

Justin handed the teary-eyed girl some napkins from the dispenser.  “Bree, you don’t have to continue if this is too upsetting for you.”

 

“No, I need to get this off my chest once and for all.” Bree sat up straight in her chair. “I avoided my entire family for a couple days. I ignored calls from my grandparents and my aunt because they all were guilty by association.

 

Three days later I confronted Leilani and demanded the truth. She told me to go the safe in her office and locate a folder of information marked with my name. The same one I showed you guys yesterday.

 

I had never seen my Birth Certificate or Social Security card before. I was only fifteen so there was no need for me to have such important documents in my possession to lose or ruin. But there it was in black and white, my full name, my mother’s name, and the name of the boy who was my real father.

 

Then my mother showed me that picture of the two of you at the party. I remember shouting that you were just a kid who looked young enough to be my brother. When she flinched, I knew I’d struck a nerve. I kept bombarding her with questions.

 

I wanted to know if you were dead. I wanted to know if you just didn’t want me because you weren’t ready to be a dad. Did you not want to explain to the people in your life the presence of a biracial daughter? When I asked if she knew where you had been all my life, she told me the same story you shared with you and Justin.

 

When Lani was done, I told her I needed to be on my own for a while. I had always been an independent child because she and my dad had never babied me. I told my mom I wanted to be emancipated and had already looked into starting the process.

 

I had to prove to the state that I could support myself which wouldn’t be a problem because I already had a job that didn’t interfere with school. I also had a roommate lined up who would share the expenses of a household. And if that doesn’t sway the court, I told my other that I would find a guy who was willing to marry me.

 

Of course, Leilani wasn’t trying to hear any of what I was proposing. But I shut her down by implying that I would run away and she would never see me again if I didn’t get her full cooperation. So she caved.

 

It took almost five months before the courts decreed in my favor. I have never asked my parents for a red cent but they contacted Tony’s mom who had her attorneys release a portion of the trust fund she set up for me to help with my expenses.

 

I kept up my part of the deal by staying on the honor roll each semester since I have been on my own. And I don’t do a whole lot of partying on the weekend because I am usually totally exhausted. Sometimes I felt bad for leaving home, but I needed my space for a while. Do you know what I’m saying?”

 

For as long as I can remember, my dad he was there for me. Tony had a studio where he worked from home. He showed up for my concerts, arranged playdates and sleepovers for me and my classmates.  He was available every year to be my date for the father-daughter dance.

 

Leilani would go out of town for business but when she was home on the weekend, it was our time. We would spend the entire day shopping at the mall and eating crap from the food court. On rainy days, she would pull out all her cases of make-up, and we would dress up in her cocktail dress and pretend to be supermodels and stomp the runway. Lani is all about the shoes…fifty-four pairs and counting. Pardon me while I wipe away my drool. All my jealous little friends thought my mom was sooooo cool for pretending not to know that I would sneak into her closet and borrow them without her permission.  

 

To make a long story short, I like being on my own. I am able to come and go as I choose but it hasn’t always easy because I really missed the three of us and the way we were as a family. I’m just too petty and stubborn to admit it to the people who gave me everything. I’m getting there so, don’t judge me.”

 

Brian glanced at the display on his vibrating mobile. “Please hold that thought, Bree. I have got to take this call.

 

Cynthia, please tell me the reason for this interruption of my personal time is related to one of those matters of life and death we agreed on?”

 

“Yes Brian, it is. I am going to need for you to tear yourself away from Justin and apologize to him for me. You need to be back here in this office by 8:00 tomorrow morning.  Yes, I do know it is a Saturday but, all kinds of stuff is about to hit the fan courtesy of that pain-in-the-patootie multi-million sporting goods account. You are going to have to do some major damage control if that happens.

 

I am in the process of booking your flight now. Your plane leaves at six thirty this evening, Brian. Please be on it!”

 

Brian disconnected the call as he returned his attention to his companions at the table. “Sunshine, duty calls so I have to get back to my neck of the woods ASAP and that means tonight. However, as soon as I get a handle on things, I will be back. If any new developments arise, I promise you will be the first to know.”

 

Justin called for their ride, Brian took care of the check, and Bree was dropped off at her door with a kiss on each cheek from her companions. Then the two men returned to the bungalow in order for Brian to pack his bags, thoroughly ravish Justin, and get to the airport in time for his flight back to the real world.

 

   T B C

End Notes:

I did some research and learned that it is very rare for the state of California to emancipate a fifteen year old youth. But I ask my readers to just suspend all disbelief as we are wont to do when reading fan fiction stories.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you would, please comment and or review. Thanks for reading.

 

 

Chapter 7 PARTY OF THREE by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

“Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow WE WILL DIET!”  Brian A. Kinney.

Monday morning at Kinnetik

Brian had every intention of contacting the DNA Testing Center when he walked into his office but he didn’t want to appear to desperately eager for the verdict. Besides, in LA it was only five in the morning. Common sense dictated that there would be no one there at the lab to respond at that time. He left a voicemail message to have his test results faxed over when the office opened for business. 

 

When Brian’s personal fax machine whirred to life and began to churn out page after page of documents, he thought he was prepared for the inevitable. However, it was still a shock to see the verdict in black and white print.

 

CONCLUSION:

 

Brian A. Kinney

 

IS NOT EXCLUDED as the biological father of

 

Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston             

 

99.99%

 

‘This can’t be happening to me. Jesus! I need a drink. Correction, I need an entire bottle’s worth of drinks. No, I need to call Justin and get through the ‘told you so, Bri’, grab the bull by the horns, and make plans to claim my daughter because it is what it is.’

 

He stuck his head out of the office door to get the attention of his assistant and right-hand woman. “Cynthia, a word please.”

 

“Good morning, Brian. You have that meeting with those idiots at nine. What can I do for you?”

 

“I am going to need your help and undivided attention for the next few minutes. First, I need for you to make me a reservation for three tonight at DELPHINE’s Restaurant on Hollywood Blvd. Have them decorate the table with some exotic flowers like tiger lilies or you can just decide what would look appropriate.

 

Oh, I almost forgot. I need for you to pick up a pair of black and red drool-worthy pumps in a size 8 medium width for my kid. Make certain to have the box gift wrapped with the store’s flashiest signature paper. I know how much you hate shopping for shoes so grit your teeth and get something nice for yourself as well.”

 

Brian gave his speechless assistant a Platinum Visa and insisted that she not take all day.

 

“Wait a minute, you are joking, right? You want me to buy a pair of designer shoes for Gus? Brian, it is Monday morning and way too early for your shenanigans.”

 

Brian held out the fax over to the stunned young woman, smirked before rolling his lips into his mouth, and waited as she quickly scanned the document. 

 

“Oh…my…god! Brian Kinney, do you know what this means? YOU ARE THE FATHER!”

 

#####################################################

 

DELPHINE’S on Hollywood Boulevard

A bubbly hostess escorted Justin and Bree to their table in a semi-private seating area and promised to send over their server immediately.

 

Justin offered Bree’ahna his arm as he whispered in her ear, “Bree, I had my doubts but I stand corrected. You do clean up good. I almost didn’t almost recognize you when I arrived to pick you up for dinner. Owwww! You’re pinching my arm. I’m a delicate little flower and I bruise really easy.”

 

 “Oh, did that hurt? You WASPs are all the same. You can dish it out but you can’t take it. I’ll have you know, I did a double-take when I let you in tonight. When you told me where we were going for dinner I figured that if you showed up in a pair of cargos and a tee I would just suck it up and deal. But all jokes aside, you look hot, Taylor. It pains me but I must admit you were born to wear that tux.”

 

“Why am I not surprised to see that you two don’t know act in polite company? Young people have no home training these days and you can’t take them anywhere nice.”

 

“Brian, what the…I didn’t know you were in town. Justin, stop laughing at me, you snake! I thought we were cool. Why didn’t you tell me he would be here?” Bree gasped.

 

“Brian and I wanted it to be a surprise. So, SURPRISE! But I’m starved so, can we all sit down and decide what we want to order? I want steak, what do you have a taste for, Bree?”

 

“You already know, Taylor. The lobster with garlic butter is calling my name. Brian, Justin mentioned that you don’t need food like the rest of us mere mortals. But can you deviate from the norm tonight and order something decadent and yummy? Pretty please?”

 

“How can I say no to such a lovely lady such as yourself, Princess Bree’ahna? I suppose I can make an exception to the rules just this once. Give me a moment, I’m still trying to choose something from this calorie saturated, lard-laden, menu of death that won’t put me in a carbohydrate coma.”

 

After the meal was over, Brian stood up and asked Bree and Justin to do the same.

 

Brian held out his arms and embraced the startled girl. “Earlier this afternoon I received some interesting information. Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston, I want you to know that I’m pleased to meet you at last and I am proud to be your father. You are my first born daughter and the very best birthday present I have ever had.”

 

Over Brian’s shoulder, Bree mouthed to Justin: ‘He smells sooooo good!’

 

“Bree, we can’t change the past but maybe we can put our heads together and figure out a way to go from here. Who knows? Your mom may have been right because I remember the sixteen-year-old kid I use to be.  I was angry, confused, and trying to find myself and where I belonged in this crazy world. During that time of my life, I was not daddy material. Would that mindset have changed when I grew up and matured? I would like to think so. 

 

The past is over and can’t be undone. Let’s give ourselves a chance to build a relationship because we want to. Not just because half of your chromosomes are mine and we have a document to verify that fact. What do you say?”

 

“I am more than happy to have the opportunity to get to know you, Brian. Thank you for accepting me into your life, and I will try to always make you proud of me.”

 

Brian reached out to include Justin in the group hug. “Are you okay, Sunshine? It looks like your allergies are acting up.”

 

“Only a little, Bri. I’m so happy for the two of you. Can we have dessert now?”

 

 The chef wheeled out a cart with a cake decorated with pink and black rosettes. The inscription read: IT’S A GIRL!

 

Justin pulled out a huge gift bag from under the cart. “Bree, this is for you from Brian and me.”

 

“Get out of here. You guys got presents for Moi?! But I don’t have anything for you either of you. You do know that our birthday was a couple months ago right, Brian?” Bree smirked and blew the older man a kiss. “I lose my mind when I see a gift bag. What did you guys get me? Duh! Maybe I should just open it.”

 

Bree laughed out loud at the overstuffed plush orange cat nestled down in the brightly colored sack. “Omigod! I love him. He can sit on the foot of my bed and keep me company when Felion…that stuck up fleabag of mine…refuses to give me the time of day.”

 

Bree gave Justin a fist bump when she pulled out a five hundred dollar gift card and waved it in the air. “I hope you know this is already burning a hole in my hot little hand. Can anybody spell shopping spree?”

 

The happy teen dug down into the bag again and pulled out a wrapped box. She shook it a few times and then began to meticulously remove the embossed paper and opened the lid.

 

“Yay! Shoes, I knew it.” Bree did a double-take and her mouth almost hit the floor. “Omigod, these aren’t just shoes! These are Christian Louboutin Red Bottoms! I have been wanting a pair like this my entire life!”

 

She squealed and kissed Brian then Justin on both cheeks. “Thank you, thank you, and thank you sooooo much! Princess Leilani is going to be pea green with envy when she sees these. Call me tacky but I am going to put them on right now.”

 

Bree preened as admired her exclusive foot ware. “I look like a million bucks and now, I can die.” She exclaimed dramatically.

 

Brian rolled his lips into his mouth. “I’m glad you like them. But, I think you have one more gift in your bag, Bree’ahna.”

 

“Wait! There’s more? You guys are too much!” Bree reached into the festive bag one last time and drew out an ornate sterling silver 8 X 10 framed document.

 

“This is the results of our DNA testing. I didn’t think you would get this so quickly, Brian. It says 99.99%, I guess that means I must really belong to you. You’re free to exhale, rest easy, and let go of all the doubt about being scammed.”

 

“Bree’ahna, I have two eyes and my vision is 20/20. Whatever doubts I had about your parentage where negligible. The purpose of the DNA testing was a necessary formality to protect your rights as well as my own.”

 

Bree’ahna tucked the plaque back into her sack. “Thank you, and I want you to know that out of all the presents you and Taylor have given me this evening, this piece of paper is worth more than anything money can buy. I do have an important question. What should I call you? I’d sound really crazy if I continue to address you as Mr. Kinney.

 

According to both my Grandmas, kids who call grownups by their first name have no manners unless they stick a ‘Miss’ or a ‘Mister’ in front of it. This code doesn’t apply if the adults are your parents. That is why it drives Lani and Tony up the wall and down the block when I do it because they know I’m going out of my way to deliberately disrespect them.

 

But you’re my father so I can’t call you Mr. Brian. That would be so weird and kind of ridiculous. You and I haven’t been around each other long enough to butt heads so I don’t want to start out by calling you ‘Brian.’ Do you feel me?’”

 

“Bree, it is very obvious to see that you have given this topic a lot of thought and consideration. The title of Mr. Kinney belonged to my father, and suffice it to say, he is no longer with us. I don’t have a problem being addressed by my first name because I am often called worse. Allow me to ask when you are speaking to him, what name do you use for the father who raised you?”

 

Bree emitted a very unladylike snort and rolled her eyes. “Seriously? For the last few years, I’ve been calling him Dad, of course. I used to call him Daddy, Pops, or Papa. It was my choice.”

 

“Then just choose, Bree. What do you want to call me? I’m going to leave it up to you.”

 

 “Okay. Because you guys are too cool for school until further notice I dub thee, Daddy B and your partner in crime is Papa J. But, between you and me, I’m freaking out a little because he’s like five minutes older than me.”

 

“Um, excuse me, Bree. There is a big difference between sixteen and almost twenty-one. BIG!”

 

 “Whatever, Papa J. You don’t look old enough to shave.”

 

The sassy miss grinned and ruffled Justin’s long hair. “Daddy B, are you sure he’s legal? If I were you, I’d card him!”

 

 “Papa J and Daddy B? I like it! Bri, what do you think of your new moniker?”

 

“Well Sunshine, you’re not going to believe this but, I’ve always had a burning desire to be named after a pimp. And people say dreams and wishes don’t come true. Thanks a bunch, Bree’ahna.

 

Okay, kiddies. It’s been fun but this is a school night and all of us have work in the morning. We need to wrap this up because this little soirée is over. That chunk of pink and black iced death you two forced down my gullet is going to cost me an extra thirty minutes on the treadmill tomorrow. Sunshine, please have Mr. Palmer bring the car around. Bree, let’s gather up all your swag so we can blow this Popsicle stand.”

 

When the town car arrived at Bree’s place the two men walked her to the front door.

 

“Papa J, when Daddy B lets you come up for air, call me tomorrow.” She threw her arms around Brian’s waist and squeezed him tightly. “I would invite you guys in but the place looks like a pigsty. See you in two weeks Daddy B, and thank you so much for tonight.”

 

Brian kissed the girl on the forehead and stared into the sparkling gray-green eyes that were the same shape as his own. “The pleasure was all mine, Bree’ahna. See you in a couple weeks.”

 

The guys made out in the rear seat of the town car all the way back to Justin’s cottage. In between scorching kisses, Justin praised Brian for giving Bree such a fun-filled evening.

 

“My place is a bit of a mess as well Daddy B. But I want you to take me to bed and make me forget that you have to be on a plane home in less than six hours.”

 

 

“No problem Papa J, your wish is my command.”

 

T B C

End Notes:

I gave Bree and Brian the same D.O.B. because I have always been fascinated when I hear about people having relatives share birthdays. My family is huge, but what are the odds that my daughter, my dad, and I were born on the same Day in November?  My brother’s two kids were born on Christmas Day exactly a year apart.

 

Hmmm, I wonder, could those stats get us a shot at a Guinness world record?

 

Thank you for reading and I would appreciate any and all comments and or reviews. 

Chapter 8 YOU CAN ALWAYS GO HOME AGAIN by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

“When one door closes another door opens, but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” Alexander Graham Bell.

 

“Justin Taylor, do you know what time it is? I am about to lose what little religion I have left. Bree’ahna K. Johnston doesn’t do early mornings. You better be in a ditch somewhere because that is the only way I will understand and or forgive you for blowing up my phone at the crack of dawn. Where are you and are you okay?”

 

“Yes, no…I mean, I think so. Bree, I’m so sorry but listen, I’m downstairs in your lobby. Two days ago they scrapped the Rage movie project and let everybody go. I’ve been up all night and I was hoping…”

 

“Holy crap, no freakin’ way! Taylor, get up here! Give me a sec, I’m buzzing you into the entrance now and my door is open so just come on in.”

 

Justin ran up the two flights of stairs, knocked once and entered the apartment. He hovered in the doorway of the color-splashed living room. “Bree, I’m here. Are you decent?”

 

“Of course not. Clothing is overrated and should always be optional.” The teen wore a pair of tight Ninja Turtles boy shorts and a tank top big enough for a toddler.

 

“You are definitely Brian’s kid. When he’s at home in the loft, he doesn’t believe in an excess of clothing either.”

 

“Taylor, sit down and focus. Did those meatheads really tank your movie?”

 

“He, who shall not be named, called the entire team in for a meeting forty-eight hours ago in order to distribute pink slips? Brett announced that Rage: The Movie was in the toilet and that he was off to work on another project. And get this, he’s not really giving up on Rage because it may still happen one-day …blah, blah, blah…but that still means we peons are left holding the bag.

 

Bree, you can’t imagine how I much I wanted to make this project happen. And now, just like that, it’s over. All this time I’ve been here… missing my friends, my family, leaving Brian just when he was beginning to reach out to me, not to mention the days when I had to push through the physical pain in my hand to meet deadlines…was almost worth the sacrifice because I thought I was accomplishing something important and really monumental. I really wanted to make Brian see me as an equal so that he would be proud of me.

 

Me, Justin Taylor, former busboy of Liberty Diner, was mingling and mixing it up with the movers and shakers of Hollywood. I was earning real money as the assistant art director for a groundbreaking Hollywood film! How can I just go back home with my tail tucked between my legs like a failure?”

 

“Papa J, you are wearing a hole into my fake fur bear rug and scaring Felion with all that pacing back and forth. So have a seat, please.

 

Now you listen to me Taylor, you didn’t fail. You’re a nineteen, my bad, twenty-year-old kid who collaborated with your partner’s best friend in order to produce and publish a comic book in your living room. That comic book was good enough to get the attention of those A-list clowns in this town and…stay with me…it was given the green light to make a movie! Are you serious?”

 

Bree scooped up her big red tabby who was weaving its way in and out between their legs and plopped the cat in Justin’s lap.

 

“The Hollywood machine failed you. And, if you ask me, that Brett guy just sucks because he could have fought a little harder to make things happen or maybe try to drum up some money from elsewhere. He was always bragging about having so much clout out here so I can’t see why he couldn’t have hooked you up with some of his producer friends who are working on other projects. If he cared about you, he would have even offered to take you along as his assistant so that you would still have a job. What a jerk!

 

Papa J, I am so sorry you had to learn the hard way that the members of the Hollywood crowd are like crabs in a barrel. It’s every man for himself out here.”

 

“I hear you, Bree and I know you’re absolutely correct. If Brian were here, he would tell me to stop acting like a whiny little twat, man up, and move on. I guess the first thing I should do is ask Mr. Palmer to give me a ride out to the studio so I can pack up my supplies and sketches before someone trashes them. Bree, I have an idea, do you have any plans this week?”

 

 “No, not really. The community center where I work is closed for two weeks. I’d be happy to hang out with you.”

 

“Cool! I want you to come back home with me tonight. While I’m at the studio, you might want to pack enough stuff for a few days to bring with you. Oh, and be sure to leave a note for your roomie to remember to water your plants and take care of Felion. Then, call me when you’re ready so I can pick you up.”

 

“Okayyyyyy. But, are you sure Brett won’t mind if the help is hanging out at his crib all week?”

 

“My bad, Bree. I thought you understood that I want you to come back home with me to Pittsburgh. Don’t worry about any expenses because everything is on me, of course. I forgot to mention that Brett was kind enough to give me a few days before I had to vacate his premises. Now, that we are finally on the same page, just nod your head and say yes.”

 

“Okay yes, and I want the window seat. What time is our flight, Papa J?”

 

“Give me a few minutes, I’m making our reservations now. Will you please print out our confirmations while I give my best friend Daphne a call? We may need her help.”

 

“Daph, hey it’s me. I know it’s kind of early for a wakeup call but this is really important.”

 

“Jus, do you realize what time it is not? The sun’s not up yet and neither am I.

What’s going on, are you hurt or in trouble? Please tell me you aren’t locked up and need bail money. I must be psychic! Last night I was just saying that I haven’t heard from you in days and I was thinking you might have put your best bud down. How’s it going out there in La La Land? Did you call to tell me how many hot guys you banged this week?”

 

“Daph breathe, and if you aren’t still in bed, you may need to be sitting down for what I have to tell you. I’m putting you on speaker because I have a very special person with me that I’d like for you to meet. Bree, allow me to introduce you to my best friend, Daphne Chanders.”

 

 “Good morning, Daphne and I’m pleased to meet you. I have heard so much about you from Taylor that I feel as if I already know you.”

 

“Now Daph, hold on to your hat and say hello to Brian’s daughter, Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston.”

 

“OMIGOD, are you shitting me, Justin?! No. Freakin’. Way!”

 

“Papa J, I think your BFF just shattered all the glassware in your cabinet.”

 

“Daph, I shit you not! Listen, don’t hate me for not filling you sooner in and I can’t give you all the 411 right now. It would take at least a couple hours to give you the nitty gritty and there is too much we need to get done before our flight this afternoon. Bree and I arrive at 11 tonight so, are you free to pick us up and bring us back to your place to crash and get you caught up?”

 

“Justin Cole Taylor, you are my brother from another mother, but if this is a prank I will hunt you down like a rabid dog and tear you from limb to limb.”

 

“Daph, check your messages, I just text you a picture. Yeah Bree, you better put your earbuds in.”

 

“OMIGOD, OMIGOD, OMIGOD… Where did this girl come from? Did she spring from Brian’s forehead fully grown like the goddess Athena?”

 

“Daph, you are such a dork! We’ll see you tonight. Later.”

 

Bree and I made it to our flight with time to spare thanks to Mr. Palmer. On the way to the airport, he did his best to boost my spirits by being encouraging and supportive.

 

“Justin, it’s a shame things didn’t work out but I believe that life is too short to hang on to bitterness, regrets, and what ifs. Don’t think of what happened as a rejection. Maybe it’s a re-direction to something twice as good. So stay positive, make the right choices, and remember that you’re still very young and have your whole life ahead of you to become a success. You are a smart, talented, and creative young man with a good head on your shoulders. There’s no way that you won’t achieve your goals, just give yourself time.”

 

“Thank you, Mr. Palmer and I hope you know that I plan to stay in touch. The next time I’m in Tinsel Town, I’ll be sure to look you up.”

 

“You do that, young man. I hope you and your buddy Miss Bree, have a nice stay. You guys take care.”

 

Bree and I boarded the plane, located our seats, and shoved our backpacks into the compartments overhead.

 

“Bree, don’t bite my head off but I have to ask. Did you let your parents know you were going out of town?”

 

Bree flicked Justin’s bangs over his eyes. “Yes, mother. I dropped in on them while you were at the studio. I told them everything that has been going on over the past week: the test results, our dinner party, and that I was going to hang out with you next week in Pittsburg. My parents weren’t thrilled but I promised to be responsible and told them I will stay in touch. My dad wants us…including Brian… to come to the house for dinner the next time he’s in town.” 

 

“Wow, that’s so awesome! And I’m feeling so relieved because the last thing I need is to be arrested for taking a minor across state lines. Orange is the new blue and all that but, the color does nothing for my complexion.”

 

“You’re a riot, Taylor. Well, we have a long ride ahead of us. Why don’t you tell me about all members of the Pittsburgh Liberty Avenue family I seem to have inherited? You’ve got me curious because, from some of the stuff you mentioned, it seems that some of them are larger than life and I’d like to be prepared. Are you up to it?”

 

“If anything will help me take my mind off the way things have gone downhill over the past twelve hours Bree, giving you the lowdown on the gang will. Let’s start with your dad’s surrogate mom, Debbie Novotny.

 

DAPHNE’S PLACE

“Justin, please grab another beer for me. I’m still reeling from your story because it’s as unbelievable as a Lifetime movie. So what’s your next step? Is there a plan B percolating in your blond brain?”

 

“At this point in time, I don’t have a clue, Daph.”

 

“We’ll work on it together. Moving right along, then. So Bree, do you think it has really sunk into Brian’s head that you’re his daughter? And are you guys telling me the truth that he hasn’t queened out at all?”

 

“Well, I don’t know my father well enough to say one way or another, but Justin says no one can make Brian Kinney do anything that he doesn’t want to do.  He said he needed proof and he paid megabucks to get it. Looks like Brian has decided to just go with the flow, for now, Daphne.”

 

“Justin, I take it no one else in our little family circus has the slightest idea that Bree exists or that the two of you are here in the Pitts?”

 

“Other than Cynthia, I don’t think so, Daph. Compared to Brian, the Sphinx is a chatterbox. He’s not one to volunteer information.”

 

“Well, all I can say is, unless you guys plan to keep Bree locked away somewhere, the cat will be out of the bag as soon as anyone who knows Brian sees her face. I can’t wait! 

 

But in the meantime, welcome to the dysfunctional family, Bree. And of course, you can crash here at my place because while I’m sure Brian will be thrilled to see you, it’s a given that he will be a teeny tiny bit pissed. How will he be able to ravish Justin for the next 12 hours if you are sitting out there in the living room with a ringside seat? Trust me, the loft is no place for you because these two can’t keep their hands or any other part of their bodies off of each other.

 

“Daphne, please…” Justin’s face flushed a rosy shade of pink.

 

“Jus, you know it true. But I’ll be good and cut you some slack, for now. I know you’re dying to throw yourself into your lover’s arms so feel free to take my car and go surprise, Brian. Whenever you and the Stud decide to come up for air you can give us a call or just come on over so that you guys can treat us to breakfast. Bree and I will be fine tonight so go, get out of here.”

 

“Thanks, Daph. You’re the best. Bree, you okay with this? I‘m not dumping you or anything but, Brian wasn’t exactly expecting us so I should give him a heads up. I may have to clean house first or talk him down from a ledge. With Brian, you just never know for certain.”

 

“I know what you’re saying, Papa J. My Daddy B hasn’t figured out how to A: explain my presence or B: he could have company and C: the games they might be playing could steal my innocence and traumatize me for life. Yeah, right. See you later.”

 

I let myself into the loft with my set of keys. The spacious living area was still tastefully immaculate and I didn’t expect it to be otherwise. I stood before the wall of windows where I have spent hundreds of hours drawing, sketching, or painting. I almost felt as if the last five months of my life spent living on the west coast happened to someone else. I was back in the Pitts, back home where…I belong?

 

Will Brian be okay with the way I have shown up here in the Pitts unannounced with his brand new almost grown daughter in tow? Is he really ready, willing, and able to explain the presence of a teenaged daughter he became aware of barely two weeks ago? It’s a done deal because she’s here in the flesh. Wallowing in negativity is pointless so no need to borrow trouble. We’ll be okay and everything will work itself out.

 

I was still standing at the window deep in my thoughts when I heard the groaning and grinding gears of the aged elevator. It halted here on the fourth floor and I turned when the door to the loft slid open and Brian appeared at last on the threshold. He was alone, thank God. I was keyed up for a confrontation and really didn’t want to have to deal with booting out a trick.

 

“Justin, what in the world are you doing here? Did I miss a message from you because I don’t believe we were supposed to meet up this week? What happened? Are you in some sort of trouble? Is there something wrong? Don’t get your panties in a bunch but, you shouldn’t be here tonight so what are you doing here in the loft?”

 

“I was waiting for you, Stud.”

 

Justin’s only thought was to get closer to the man he loved and desired more than life itself. His lips sought Brian's as the older man removed all their garments and they fell backward on the bed. Justin draped his entire length over Brian's long lean body as they writhed together on the comfortable surface and clung to each other. Brian flipped Justin onto his back and commenced kissing his way down the youth’s eager body.

 

Justin squirmed and moaned with anticipation. Brian please, no more talking and no more teasing. I need for you to take me now.”

 

“As you wish, Sunshine.”

 TBC

 

End Notes:

I appreciate all of you for reading, commenting, and leaving me reviews. Thanks a bunch.

Chapter 9 ROOM FOR ONE MORE by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Heads up, there’s a new kid on the block…

Brian and Justin were standing outside of the jeep when Daphne and Bree’ahna exited the building.

 

“Daphne my dear, you are looking as radiant as ever.” Brian kissed the girl on the cheek and tugged on one of her pigtails.

 

“You too, Brian,” Daphne blushed and rolled her eyes. “Justin, he is such a flirt and I don’t know why we put up with him.”

 

“Because I’m hot and irresistible as if you didn’t already know that. Ah, Bree’ahna, my favorite and only daughter. It is a pleasure to see your lovely face as well.” Brian murmured as he embraced the girl in his arms.

 

“Thanks, Daddy B and it’s great to see you again too.” Bree smiled and kissed her father warmly on both cheeks.

 

Justin held the door opened for the giggling girls as they clambered up into the vehicle.

 

“By the way Bree’ahna, Justin mentioned to me that you decided to take the high road by ending the radio silence between you and your parents. You did the right thing because they seem to be good people who made a big mistake. You may not feel like they deserve your forgiveness right now, but keep working on it because you deserve peace.”

 

“Daddy B, I won’t lie, and I’m not too proud to admit that I’ve been feeling much better after talking with my mom and dad.”

 

A few minutes later, the group pulled up in front of Debbie’s front door.

 

Brian exhaled sharply as he exited the jeep. “Okay boy and girls, let’s get this show on the road before I change my mind. I suppose now might be a good time for me to gird my loins because I feel like I’m on my way into the lion’s den. And it is all Justin’s fault because Debbie has been missing his face so much she can’t stand it.”

 

Brian would have preferred to remain in bed with Justin all day because food is overrated and he wanted more details on why Justin jumped ship and returned to Pittsburg. However, other than mentioning that Rage, The Movie was kaput, that he was home to stay, and hoped that Brian didn’t mind that he was accompanied by his wingman…Justin was strangely reticent and Brian wanted to know why.

 

However, Justin’s body was on LA time and the growling beast in his belly was demanding to be fed as soon as the young man opened his eyes close to midday. Of course, Brian had nothing in the fridge, and all his cupboards were bare so, they decided to walk to the diner for some coffee and a bite to eat. They were accosted by Deb who mauled Justin and demanded their presence that evening for an impromptu dinner.

 

Emmett swung the door open. “Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit. It’s God’s gift to all and I mean ALL of Gay PA. Hey Deb, it’s Kinney with an entourage and he’s only twenty minutes late.”

 

Em peered over Brian’s shoulder, shrieked, and clapped his hands in delight.

 

“Justin?! Baby is that you? Omigod! We didn’t know you were in town. I have missed your pretty little face and perky little butt all the way to the moon and back. I can’t believe you were the mystery guest Deb was hinting about all afternoon.”

 

Emmett grabbed Justin and hugged him tightly until Brian moved in to pull the youth out of his clutches. “His lips are turning blue so let the kid breathe, Honeycutt.”

 

“Kindly retract your claws, King Kinney, I was simply showing Baby some love. And, don’t call me Honeycutt.”

 

“Hey Em, I’ve missed you too. Yeah, I’m here in the flesh, and back in the Pitts. Feels like I never left.”

 

“Miss Daphne, you little hot tamale, long time no see! You look fabulous, I might add.” The tall queen kissed the girl’s hand and bumped her with his narrow hip.

 

“Thanks, Em, love you too.” Daphne chuckled and blew several kisses at the exuberant young man decked out in tangerine pleather pants and a lime green sequined muscle shirt.

 

Emmett’s light blue eyes landed on Bree. “Well, aren’t you a totally gorgeous princess? That hair and your skin are are to die for! Are you kin to Miss Daphne? Oh, please forgive me, I seem to have forgotten all my manners. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Emmett Honeycutt and I hail from Hazlehurst, Mississippi. Sweetie, you look so familiar, have we met?”

 

“Em, let them make their way to the kitchen so they can find a seat,” Debbie pushed past Emmett and herded the group toward the dining area. “The food will be ice cold by the time you are done trying to talk their heads off. The rest of us want to meet Justin’s mystery guest.”

 

Deb grabbed Brian and Justin by the hand and planted her red lips on the cheeks of the two men. “I thought I was going to have to come to the loft and drag you two out of bed. I was planning to eat lasagna this afternoon not crow. Sunshine, did you haul those bottles of wine home all the way from Hollywood? I can’t wait to have a glass or three. Daphne honey, that cheesecake looks delicious, you know you didn’t have to bring anything. How have you been doing?”

 

Before anyone could respond Deb turned to Bree. “You are absolutely stunning and I swear, you couldn’t possibly be a day over eighteen. Here you go honey, take this seat between Daphne and the boys. How did you and Sunshine meet? You’re actress aren’t you, no I bet you do modeling out there in Hollywood. Am I right?”

 

 “Not quite, Mrs. Novatny. I’m still in high school but this is my last year. I’ll be a senior this fall.” Bree smirked and rolled her full red lips into her mouth.

 

“Holy shit!” Debbie gasped and nearly lost her grip on a saucepan. Her head whipped back and forth and her eyes rapidly scanned the very similar features shared by her surrogate son and the young lady seated beside him at her table. “I don’t believe this…”

 

Emmett got up to retrieve a heavy platter from the kitchen. “Believe it, Deb, because I’m seeing and thinking the very same thing. Be right back.”

 

Brian stood and placed his hand on Bree’ahna’s shoulder. “Hold on a sec, Emmy Lou. Deb, gang, I have something to share with the group. I would like to introduce you to this very beautiful young lady who happens to be my daughter. Her name is Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston and she’s sixteen. I met her almost two weeks ago when I went to visit Justin out in Hollywood.”

 

It was as if all of the oxygen was suddenly sucked out of the room. Complete and total silence reigned as the family attempted to process the words that came from Brian’s mouth. Then, the floodgates opened and everyone spoke at once.

 

Ted nearly choked on the sip of wine he was about to swallow. “Brian, is there going to be a punchline for that joke?”

 

Mel rolled her eyes at Brian and muttered, “Brian, you are such a jerk when you’re not being a complete and total ass.”

 

“Brian, don’t be rude, you’re making Daphne and her friend uncomfortable.” Lindsay chided gently.

 

Michael’s mouth opened and closed his mouth several times. “Brian, that’s crazy talk. Seriously, are you trying to give Ma a stroke?”

 

Debbie and Emmett remained silent.

 

Brian kissed Bree on the crown of her head and gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. “No Mikey, but I am as serious as a heart attack. I’m only going to say this once, I’m not ashamed of my kid so if anyone has a problem with her being here with us I suggest that they find a way to get over it. She is a part of this family. Case closed.”

 

Ben helped himself to some Caesar salad and breadsticks as he gave Bree a friendly smile. “Hello Bree’ahna, I’m Ben Bruckner, Michael’s partner. Welcome to Pittsburgh and I’m pleased to meet you.”

 

“Hi Daddy, hi Jussin!” Little Gus left his booster chair, waved at Daphne, and climbed up on Brian’s lap for a quick cuddle.

 

Brian kissed his son and whispered in the child’s ear, “Hey Sonny Boy, have you been behaving for Mommy and Mama?”

 

The three-year-old bundle of energy nodded and scrambled over to Justin in order to plant a big wet kiss on the young man’s forehead. “I missed you, Jussin. Can we draw pictures after lunch?”

 

“Of course we can, Gus. You can even borrow my sketchbook.” Justin assured the happy toddler.

 

Gus crawled back over to Brian. His big brown eyes were trained on the unfamiliar face of the guest sitting next to his father. “Daddy, who is that girl? I like her hair.” The little boy stared at Bree and reached out to run his hand through the riot of wavy auburn tresses.

 

“Gus, this is Bree’ahna but you can call her Bree. Bree is your big sister. And yes, her hair is very pretty.”

 

Twin indignant gasps of denial escaped from the lips of two at the table.

 

“Brian, perhaps we should discuss…” Lindsay began but held her tongue when he glared in her direction.

 

Mel tucked a lock of hair behind Lindsay’s ear. “Not now, Babe. The great god Kinney is about to be bamboozled by a tween and I want a ringside seat at this show.”

 

Michael’s nasal whine cut through the thick silence hanging in the room. “Brian, this is crazy. How can you think that this girl can be your daughter when it is obvious that she’s…” He bit his tongue and held his peace when the look Debbie sent his way promised swift and painful retribution.

 

Bree’ahna didn’t miss a beat. “Justin told me you were as cute as a button Gus, and I didn’t believe him. But now that I have seen you in person, I just want to eat you up with a spoon. I’ve always wanted a little brother because a younger sister would have meant a lifetime of competition, sibling rivalry, and drama. Boys rock!”  Bree raised her hand in the air to give Gus a high five.

 

Bree tickled the toddler’s plump belly and then addressed all of the room’s occupants seated around the table.

 

“Hello, everyone and it is lovely to meet all of you. I have heard so much about you guys from Daddy B and Papa J that I feel as if I’ve known each and every one of you for years.” Bree served herself a generous portion of lasagna and garlic bread when Daphne passed the platter to her. “Oh my god, this smells so delicious. I apologize in advance for making a pig of myself, Mrs. Novatny.”

 

“Honey, just call me Debbie and don’t you dare apologize for having a healthy appetite. Are you sure you aren’t related to Sunshine? He’s the only one of my boys who eat real food like normal people. The rest of these fags are far too obsessed with keeping their girlish figures to appreciate a good meal.”

 

“Ma, really?” Michael griped then groaned in defeat as if Deb’s tactlessness was something new.

 

“Well, Deb, like my dear Aunt Lula use to say, if one doesn’t watch one’s figure, no one else will. Like most fags, we want to be seen and heard.”

 

Ted raised his wine glass in the air. ”Here, here. Em, you just said a mouthful.”

 

“All of you are way too skinny, so I want to see forks moving and mouths chewing.” Deb pointed a candy apple red fingernail at each of the men seated before her. “Sunshine, I am dying to know if you met any real movie stars while you were out there in La La Land. You were gone for six long months. It must have felt like you were living a dream come true.”

 

“Deb, it was okay, most of the time. You would have loved the weather. But after you’ve been there a while, the rose-colored glasses begin to fade to black. The same old sights, wild parties any given day and night of the week, all the superficial plastic people, and the never-ending gossip and backbiting. Month after month of the same thing starts to get really old as time goes by.”

 

Justin helped himself to a slice of pie and a generous hunk of cake. “I can’t believe I would ever say this out loud but, I’m almost glad they pulled the plug on the movie because there were too many hands in the pot. Like I was telling Michael, the powers that be wouldn’t stop until our Rage would become unrecognizable. Life out there in Hollywood was definitely an experience I’ll never forget. I learned a lot but it was time to come back to the real world.”

 

 “Awwwww, Sweetie. Sorry things didn’t work out as planned but we are all thrilled that you’re back home in the bosom of your family where you belong.”

 

“Deb uh, thanks? Listen, can we catch up more in a day or two? Bree has yawned for the fifth time in a row so Brian and I are going to drop her and Daphne off and then head back to the loft. I’m exhausted and if I sit here too much longer I’ll be snoring my head off. We have been up for nearly thirty-six hours and our bodies are still acclimated to California time. Dinner was great and it feels good to be back.”

 

Debbie drew Justin and Bree into a close embrace and kissed their cheeks. “You kids go home and get some rest. Daphne, don’t be a stranger. Brian, don’t forget to grab the leftovers I packed for all of you.”

 

“Have a good night, Deb and thanks for having us. Later, gang.”

 

Bree heaved a sigh of relief as she tugged the seatbelt across her shoulder. “You know guys, that wasn’t so painful after all. Were you two were trying to scare me by exaggerating about how stressful that family gathering was going to be?  I’ve been to get events where people have come to blows over who gets the last scoop of potato salad.”

 

Brian snorted. “We got off easy, little girl. How much would you like to bet that they’re circling the wagons and organizing a posse even as we speak? I got twenty bucks that say they’ll regroup and storm the castle within the next eight hours.”

 

“I’m going to throw my hat in the ring and say four hours,” Daphne added with a knowing smirk.

 

“I’m with Daphne. I see your twenty and I’ll raise you ten, Bri.” Justin pulled his wallet from his back pocket.

 

“Deal! I have to drop off some paperwork at the gym and then I have some work to catch up on back at the loft. You three kiddies are on your own for the next few hours.”

 

T B C

End Notes:

As always, thanks for reading and feel free to comment and/or review.

Chapter 10 NO SUGAR AND NO SPICE by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Free-for-alls and family, oh my!

 

Brian pulled into a space directly in front of the Liberty Avenue gym. “I won’t be long, but you three can come in and hang out until I’m done.”

 

“We’re coming in, of course. Bree and I want to ogle every single hot sweaty guy in this joint. Wall to wall eye candy, I love it!” Daphne leered and Bree bobbed her head frantically.

 

“Sunshine, your fag hag is such a freak and a girl after my own heart. Be right back.” Brian sauntered away toward the open office door.

 

“Daph, you do remember that this is a gay gym? If you and Bree were tossing flaming barbells in the air while running naked on the treadmill, believe me, most of these guys wouldn’t miss a rep during their exercise routines.”

 

“Ouch! Justin, that was way harsh. Take it back before I tell Bree all about your most embarrassing moments over the last fifteen years.”

 

“The two of you are totally hilarious,” Bree settled her slim frame on a bench and began to adjust the weights and pulleys on the machine. “You guys rag on each like brother and sister. You feel like spotting for me, Taylor? This is one of my favorite machines.”

 

“Sure, no problem but, please be careful, Bree. Brian will kill me if you hurt yourself.”

 

“Chillax Cinderfella, I got this and I’m way stronger than I look. My dad and I worked out at the gym on a regular basis before I left home.”

 

Daphne caught Justin’s eye and tilted her head toward a guy three feet away with fists the size of an Easter ham planted on his hips.

 

The man glowered at the trio and cleared his throat abruptly. “The last time I checked, this place was not a playground for children or babies. You three need to run along to the park where there are plenty of swings and monkey bars for all the kiddies. I’m running late and need to get my workout in.”

 

“Hey, you don’t have to be so rude. An excuse me, or a simple please goes a long way. Besides, we were here first.” Daphne sniffed and turned her back on the hulk-like creature.

 

 “Kids these days are so disrespectful and I don’t have time for it.” He pushed Justin aside, lifted Bree off the bench, and tossed the girl over his massive shoulders.

 

“Oh no, you didn’t put your hairy meat hooks on me! You don’t even know me like that!” Bree shrieked into the man’s ear. With no warning whatsoever, she twisted her body and wrapped her strong slim legs around her molester’s beefy neck. In a move to fast for the eye to follow, Bree flipped the man head over heels to the floor.

 

“You skinny little bitch! Don’t think I won’t snap your scrawny pencil neck before I crush you like a bug!” He growled, leaped to his feet, and lunged toward the girl. Justin and Daphne jumped on the man’s broad back just as Bree delivered a double kick to the man’s midsection. The behemoth dusted the floor again with a resounding thud.

 

Brian and the owner rushed over to separate the brawlers. “Justin, Bree, Daphne…what the hell…?”

 

Several spectators left various pieces of equipment to get a closer look. A few gawkers were pointing, rolling all over the floor, and laughing their heads off.

 

“Bri, Daphne and I didn’t start this but, Bree finished it. The overgrown bully wallowing on the floor will think twice about assaulting people from now on.”

 

“Kinney, you need to teach your twink and baby fag hags how to behave or at least keep them on a leash before somebody hurts them.” The stunned blond brute gasped and wheezed.

 

Brian leaned down into the guy’s personal space. “So, let me get this straight. Moments ago you assaulted, bullied, threatened, and cussed out my under-aged daughter, my partner, and his friend. Maybe, I should be the one to teach you some manners instead. Oh no, looks like I’m too late because you just got your ass handed to you by three kids who are only a third of your size.”

 

Brian glared down at the hulking form on the mat then met the eyes of his scowling offspring, his pissed off partner, and said partner’s indignant BFF.

 

Bree shrugged, “Brian, we were minding our own business when this juiced up fool lost his entire mind and tried us!”

 

Brian tried to look stern and disapproving but inside he was cracking up. “I should have known better than to think I can bring either of you three yahoos anywhere. Bree, that guy is roughly the size of Mt. Rushmore, do you mind telling me how you were able to take him down?”

 

“No problem Daddy B, I earned a black belt in karate when I was thirteen because my dad wanted me to be able to look after myself. Back home in LA, I work at a neighborhood community center where I offer self-defense classes for women and young people. The first thing I teach my students about an opponent is this: size doesn’t matter because “the bigger they are, the harder they fall.”

 

The gym was buzzing like a beehive: ‘Did she say, Daddy? How can that girl be Kinney’s daughter? How old is Kinney anyway? Did he say those three are his kids? I think I heard him say they were his chicks and his partner?’

 

Brian sighed and herded his charges toward the exit. “Let’s get you thugs out of here and back to the loft before all of you end up in juvenile hall tonight. First the family and now the gym, I can’t deal with all this idiocy. I wonder how long before the whole of Liberty Ave knows my business?

 

This incident will probably be on the front page of OUT before this day is over because the fags in this burgh can’t hold their own water. Who needs a telephone or a telegraph when you can just tell a queen? We’ll probably make the news at eleven. Move it, all of you. I have work to catch up on.”

 

 

Bree was fascinated by the loft. “I love what you’ve done with your place, Daddy B. It’s like a high-class lounge with pretty white and chrome furniture and stainless steel appliances. The high ceilings and the open floor plan is everything. Ohhhh, and this sofa is like butter.”

 

Justin hid his face in his hands. “My mom said the loft looked like a fuck pad the first time she saw this place. I can’t help but blush when I remember those words coming out of her prim and proper uber WASP-y mouth. Speaking of which, I need to show my face before she disowns me.”   

 

“Give Mother Taylor a break, Sunshine. She has come a long way.” Brian opened his laptop and began tapping on the keyboard.

 

“Justin, we need some snacks, would you and Bree…never mind, she is out like a light.” Daphne placed a throw over the slumbering teen. ”We’ll be back in a bit, Brian. Hey, do you know if that corner store sells cookie dough ice cream?”

 

Daphne yanked Justin through the loft’s door and into the elevator. “We need to talk right now because I need an explanation and a lot of clarification from you. What’s up with all the crap you were telling the gang about Hollywood not being all that? We both know that other than missing a certain someone, you were having the time of your life. So, start spilling!”

 

“Daph, I have been feeling like such a failure and I didn’t want any of the family including Brian to see how disappointed I really am. They would have babied and pitied me until I felt like screaming.  

 

Brian would have realized I only came back home because everything fell through for me out there. I told him several weeks ago that the project was extended again and looking back, that is around the time he went MIA on me. Maybe he thought I wasn’t ever coming back to the Pitts and he was working on phasing me out of his life. Could it be he was backing off to give me the chance to not have to make the choice of him over Hollywood?

 

Brian would never hold me back even if he wanted to. He told me I could move back in with him after I got back from the first meeting in Hollywood. Remember? But when I told him Brett said we had the green light for the movie deal and they wanted me as an assistant consultant, Brian only encouraged me and made me feel like a fool for hesitating. He gave me the understanding that he would be there when I returned. But what if he really didn’t mean it. What if he was hurt about the choice I made?”

 

Justin, you know that scenario wouldn’t have made a difference. Brian would have queened out and lost his mind if you had passed up that golden, no platinum opportunity like the one that fell in your lap just to stay with him. He would have hogtied you and thrown you on the plane while you were kicking and screaming.

 

But Daph, I feel so aimless and adrift because my life has taken two steps forward and twenty-two steps back. All my hopes and expectations have gone up in smoke and I’m right back where I was six months ago. An underemployed, college dropout, ex-pole dancing, bashed in the head with a gimpy hand, twink.

 

“Stop tearing yourself down like that because you are so much more. You just need to get your head back in the game. Let’s put our heads together and come up with a plan B and a few options to help you get back on track. What are you thinking about doing now that you’re back here?

 

There is nothing stopping you from going back to school to complete your degree. You told me you were able to save loads of cash because you had literally no expenses. Go back to the Art Institute and shove your six months job experience from working on a motion picture in their faces. Or register for Mellon. You are a hot commodity right not and don’t even realize it.”

 

“Yeah, I thought about that. Because there is no way I feel up to going back to the diner. I do have decent money saved and it will definitely go further here than if I tried to stay in LA until a new gig turned up. The cost of living there is ridiculous I would really like to get back to working on my art.”

 

There you go, Jus! Surely Lindsay and Sidney Bloom know people in the industry. Maybe they can hook you up with an agent. Or you can apply for a position at Kinnetik’s art department. Brian is always raving about how incompetent some of his people are. You have helped him out so many times when a fresh eye was needed to tweak a project.

 

“I was even thinking about investing some cash into the comic. Ted told Michael he is seeing some fantastic numbers. Maybe we can consider producing some collectibles, put out a special edition hardback graphic novel, do some Rage socks and screen print tees. Hey, I’m feeling more positive already.”

 

Justin scooped Daphne up as she giggled and squealed. “Justin, you’re insane. Put me down before you drop me on my head.

 

Listen, if you want to keep your real feelings about returning home between the two us that is fine with me. But just keep in mind that the family will love and support you even if you sell aluminum cans for a living. Just try to not allow yourself to become overwhelmed because of the sudden changes in your life.

 

“You sound like Bree when she was giving me a pep talk on the plane. The two of you reminded me of why they gave Hollywood the nickname of La La Land. It’s because the place is not the real. Like I told the gang, it’s a make-believe, fantasy world. The entire city is like a giant theme park filled with fake people, places, and things. But it’s exciting and crazy and colorful and the energy is off the charts.”

 

“Yeah, and the sun is always shining because it never rains in Southern California, right? Remember how we use to love that song? You know, I saw you flinch when Debbie said you were back home where you belong. I have a question, if that Brett guy had asked you to follow him would you have gone, Justin?”

 

I’m not sure, Daph. See, I spent an entire day looking for a new project to work on after Brett made his announcement. The night before I left, I went to a party where Connor James told me that Rage The Movie was like the South and would not rise again so I shouldn’t hold my breath in the hopes that anything will change.

 

 And that’s part of the reason why I’m feeling down. I’m drowning in a guilt spiral. I want to be able to say that I would have turned Brett down in a heartbeat. But I know that I would have to talk to Brian first and he would have never asked me to stay even if he wanted me to. He would have bought me a brand new designer luggage, given me a pat on the head, and told me to not forget to write.

 

Do you think I should I come clean with Brian?”

 

“That’s completely up to you, my friend. Brian is sharp and probably realized something was up because you weren’t exactly your usual sunshiny self. I think he’d appreciate knowing the truth and you know he wouldn’t judge you.”

 

One hour and fifteen minutes later…

Bree stretched her long limbs and looked around the loft until she spied Brian at his desk examining some boards.There’s nothing like a little power nap. Where is everybody?”

 

Brian snorted, “Oh, look who’s back among the living. Power nap, really? Please, you’ve been calling the hogs and sawing wood for the past fifty-five minutes.”

 

Bree sniffed and raised her nose in the air. “First of all, I have no idea what you are talking about, Father. Secondly, I’ll have you know I am a freaking little flower and I most certainly do not ever snore.”

 

“Riiiiight. Anyway, the Bobbsey Twins went out for junk food and they should have been there and back within thirty minutes.”

 

“I hope they bring back some chocolate. Uh, Daddy B, where’s the restroom? There’s probably drool on my face that you’re too polite to tell me about and I already know my hair looks like a hot mess.”

 

“Go up the stairs and hang a left, you can’t miss it. I was re-arranging my closet so ignore the mess on the floor and the bed. I’ve got to make space for my Prada Summer Collection that I’m expecting to arrive during the week. Clothes make the man so, out with the old and in with the new. I’ve been trying to teach Sunshine that mantra of mine for years. I would probably have to set him on fire to get him out of those cargo pants and graphic tees.”

 

Bree twisted her hair up into a knot on top of her head, splashed some water on her face, and exited the bathroom.

 

“I’m presentable again. If you want, I can help you bag up this stuff on the floor.”

 

Thanks for offering. My OCD is starting kick in so that would be great. Let me save these changes on the stuff I’m working on and I’ll be right there.

 

“Wow! Your closet has got some nice threads hanging out in here, Daddy B. I would definitely rock this shirt at a party.” Bree held up a black sleeveless top with silver buckles.

 

“Oh, that old thing? I only wear it when I don’t care how I look! Just joking. It’s one of my favorites and your Papa J loves it on me. If you see anything else you like, help yourself.”

 

“Ooooh, are you serious?! It’s like a designer consignment shop in here. I think I love you.”

 

Thirty minutes later…

Brian dragged a sack of items to be donated to the front door and grabbed two bottles of water from the fridge. He turned when the loft’s door began to slide open.

 

“You two twats took long enough. Did you have to milk the cow and churn the cream with your very own hands in order to produce that rocky road chunky dough crap disguised as ice cream?”

 

“Briiiiaaaannn, it's us. We all heard about what happened from Hunter. We were just leaving Ma’s place when he told us you and Boy Wonder got into a fist fight at the gym because of that girl. I had a feeling in my gut telling me that she would make trouble for you. We hurried over to make sure you were okay.”

 

“Mikey, what part of use the key for emergencies only did you not understand? It’s my fault and I have only myself to blame for not getting it back from you.”

 

Brian folded his arms across his chest and leaned on the counter as he watched the rest of his ‘family’ file into the loft.

 

“Surprise, surprise, surprise. Yay me! The gang’s all here and I can’t believe my eyes. If I knew you were coming I would have prepared some finger foods. So, why don’t you all turn around, leave, and call first next time.”

 

TBC

 

End Notes:

"It Never Rains In Southern California" - Albert Hammond (1972)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXkk65PdKyM

It Never Rains In Southern California - Tony Toni Tone(1990) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyonZcfaTM.

I have always enjoyed both versions of the song.

thanks for reading and a appreciate the comments and reviews.


Chapter 11 THE FAMILY CIRCUS by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Is this an inquisition or an intervention? You be the judge…

“Welcome gang to my humble abode! Haven’t laid eyes on you guys in what, two hours tops? Lindz, fancy seeing you here and you brought Smelly Melly along to ride shotgun for the lynching party. Where is our son?”

 

 “Our son is fine, you asshole. Look, I could care less if you were TKO’d at the gym. I just can’t believe that you…the Anti-Christ…are allowing the minion you claimed to have spawned to run amok all over town assisting you in your plan for world domination. This is so rich. Brian Kinney being lead around through the nose by a girl barely out of diapers. I wouldn’t have missed this show for all the tea in China.”

 

“Mel, you promised to be nice.” Lindsay pleaded and stepped between the two antagonists. “Brian, Michael was frantic and concerned and the rest of us were very worried so we came to check on you and help you put things in the proper perspective. I left Gus with Debbie.”

 

 “Briiiaaan, I told Ma that it’s unbelievable that those two has been here in the Pitts less than twenty-four hours and they are already making trouble for you,” Michael whined as he scanned Brian from head to toe assessing his best friend for damage.

 

“And another thing, why did she keep calling you Daddy B? That is so disrespectful to name you after a pimp. I’m so worried that I can’t think straight. What if she and her folks are trying to scam you out of your money? Have you thought about that? What kind of best friend would I be if I were to stand by and watch while you are being bamboozled by a pretty face?”

 

Brian rolled his eyes and turned to his CEO. “Et tu, Theodore? Please, share your thoughts with the group.”

 

“Sue me for being a bit worried about how any negative publicity may affect your business, Boss. I’m here to be the voice of reason and a referee, if necessary. I wouldn’t dare to question your judgment on the company you keep or who you may claim as your progeny. You would have bitten my head off and then offered to fire me. I have learned there is safety in numbers and witnesses.”

 

“Brian sweetie, listen to me. Is it fair to expect Melanie and I to feel comfortable that you are willing to allow a stranger to be around our son? I’m sure Bree is a lovely young person, but what do you really know about her? You can never be too careful these days. Are you certain you’re not just, I don’t know, being influenced by your own vanity?”

 

“Yes Lindz, you are 100% correct. I should have run multiple background checks on every database known to man to make certain that an honor roll, college-bound, sixteen-year-old girl hasn’t committed any ax murders recently.

 

What is this supposed to be anyway? A witch hunt? The lot of you are woefully unprepared to mete out justice. Nobody has bothered to arm themselves with clubs, pitchforks, or rails to run the menace out of town on. Are you kidding me? You guys are talking about the daughter I am trying to bond with. Every last one of you people is unbelievable.” Brian threw up his hands in disgust as he paced back and forth in front of his friends.

 

Justin and Daphne exited the elevator and paused at the threshold unnoticed by the loft’s occupants.

 

Justin grinned at Brian and as he bounced over to his lover and placed a kiss on the older man’s pouty red mouth. “We saw all the cars parked out front. It’s been one hour and forty-five minutes. You sooooo lost that bet, Kinney. Pay up now or would you rather I take it in trade? Hey, where’s Bree?”

 

Brian responds, “Bree’ahna? Oh yeah, silly me. I forgot that she’s in the bedroom helping me clean up my closet.”

 

“Hey Taylor, I hope you guys have something yummy for me in that bag.” Bree skipped down the stairs and smirked at the roomful of people. “Daddy B, tell your family to just keep talking and don't mind me.”

 

Lindsay turned beet red. “Brian, I can’t believe you didn’t tell us you had company.”

 

Hunter ignored Justin, plastered a smarmy grin on his face, and circled the girls. “Lookin’ good Daphne, wuz up? Who’s your friend? Wait, are you the Big Guy’s kid who dropped that gym bunny in his tracks? Sweet! How you doin’? I’m Hunter and if I’d have known two hot chicks would have been there, no way would I have skipped out on Deb’s dinner to hang out with my friends.”

 

Brian stepped closer to Bree and glared at the gangly youth. “Michael, it would be great if you and your husband can get the littlest hustler to understand that he really needs to decide which team he’s going to bat for. The poor tyke is confused and could use several months of therapy and head shrinking.”

 

“Nothing wrong with looking, Big Guy. She’s hot. I see the apple didn’t fall far from the tree but Dude, I thought you were strictly dickly? What other skeletons are hanging out in your closet? No biggie! But listen up, if you ever get tired of hooking up with your Meg Ryan wannabe, look me up. You know I’m still a sure thing.”

 

“Before you ask Kinney, I’m here because Teddy is my ride. Let the record show that I am almost in love with Miss Bree. She’s like a big brutal top in the body of a swan princess. Swoon.” Emmett sighed theatrically.

 

Bree giggled and batted her eyes at Emmett. “Thanks, Aunty Em.”

 

“Honeycutt, would you mind checking the pantry for a bottle of bleach or lye?”

 

“Of course, Sweetie. Do you need help sanitizing something?”

 

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. It’s my BRAIN. The mere thought of you fantasizing about my kid topping you is disturbing and disgusting on every level known to mankind. I may have to kill you several times before I feel better.”

 

“Bite me, Kinney! Anyway, as I was trying to say before I was so rudely interrupted, I think your brand new daughter is absolutely marvelous. As soon as I saw her lovely face I couldn’t help but be reminded of a very young Dominique Deveraux.”

 

The entire group stared at the tall young man with blank expressions on their collective faces. “Em, I don’t think we know anyone by that name. Is she a drag queen?” Daphne unwrapped a chocolate bar, stuffed half of it into her mouth, and shared the remainder with Bree.

 

“Daphne, bless your little heart, I can forgive your ignorance because you, Baby, Hunter, and Miss Bree were mere twinkles in your mamas’ eyes during the early eighties.” Em placed a hand on his cocked hip and shook his head in despair and disappointment.

 

“However, the rest of you are a bunch of uncouth Philistines. Are you really standing there trying to tell me that you don’t remember the nighttime soap DYNASTY? The divine diva Diahann Carroll dominated the role of Domenique Deveraux…the rich, ruthless, biracial half-sister of millionaire Blake Carrington. She was a thorn in the side of his ex-wife and her arch nemesis…the uber bitch of all times, Alexis Carrington Colby…played by the ravishing Joan Collins. I was only a mere child of ten but, my Aunt Lula and I did not miss a single episode!”

 

“Oh yeah, Ma loved that show,” Michael piped up. “She would make me go to bed when it came on because it wasn’t appropriate for kids.”

 

Daphne cleared her throat to get Brian’s attention. “Well um, it was nice seeing everyone again. I need to get home to do some chores and other stuff so, Bree and I are ready to be dropped off whenever you are.”

 

“Sure thing, Daphne. What I have to say will only take a minute or two.” Bree leaned against the kitchen counter and narrowed her gray-green eyes at each of the people standing around in the loft.

 

“At dinner, when I met you guys and I said I felt like we go way back for years, I meant every word. You see, Taylor has given me the crib notes on all of you and what makes you tick. I may be young but I’m not an empty-headed kid. So please beg my pardon for agreeing with my father when he said that some of you are unreal.

 

I’m not trying to judge anyone because I’m sure you guys are good people or else Papa J and Daddy B wouldn’t love all of you as much as they do. I know this will piss some of you off so I will just spit it out quickly. If I hadn’t been warned first about how Brian’s announcement would be received, I would have been like, whoa. Who’s worse his bio family or the one he chose for himself?

 

The sad part is, and don’t take this the wrong way, I don’t think some of you guys realize how vicious and cruel you act toward him. I have learned the hard way that family and friends can hurt you ten times more than complete stranger or enemies.”

 

“Bree, please accept our apologies. I’m sorry you overheard some statements and are taking them the wrong way.”

 

“Why are we sorry? She’s wrong for hiding out in Brian’s room instead of making her presence known. Brian, are you going to let her talk to us like that?”

 

“Bree’ahna, you’ve known Brian two weeks however we have known His Highness for years. He’s no angel and if you ask anyone who is acquainted with Lord Kinney, they will tell you the man is incorrigible. I rest my case.”

 

“And you are entitled to your opinion, Counselor. Lindsay, apology accepted, and Michael…I’m not done making my point. Do you think learning to deal with the knowledge that you have a grown daughter is easy? My father is trying to get to know me but some of you guys are trying to break us up and we all know why. It’s a word that begins with “j” and ends with the letter “s. Yeah, I went there because I don’t tiptoe around stuff that bothers me and I call it like I see it.

 

I was watching all of you earlier today, and yes I listened to every word that rolled out your mouths a few minutes ago because none of you were whispering. And I remembered something my WASP grandmother always says when people act clueless: forgive them because if they knew better, they would do better.

 

So I have come to the conclusion that my work is cut out for me. I forgive all of you who are meddling and or stirring the pot because I am sure it is based on love because family and real friends support each other even if they have no problem with bullying the underdog or making them feel dumb and worthless.

 

I can tell by the look on some of your faces that you don’t like me and that’s okay because you don’t know me yet. I said yet because I plan to be all up in your faces for a long time. I have to go back home to LA and tie up some loose ends but I’ll be back. Due to my jet-setting mom and Daddy B’s generosity, I must have close to a kazillion frequent flyer miles that will be redeemed between LA and Pittsburg over the next year.

 

Oh yeah, one more thing and then my rant will be over. Let the record show that I have assigned myself to watch Daddy B’s back and protect him from threats both foreign and domestic,” Bree reached out to Justin and Daphne and clasped their hands and dropped a kiss on the crown of Brian’s head.

 

“I would like to introduce Team Brian to you guys. And from now on, please keep in mind that if you want to get to him, you will have to go through the three of us.”

 

“Did I forget to mention that Bree’ahna is a black belt and will sooooo kick your collective asses if any of you mess with me?” Brian stuck his tongue in cheek and smirked at his shocked into silence clan. “Oh, look at the time. I have got to get these ladies back home and tucked in before they turn into pumpkins.”

 

Brian grabbed his wallet, keys, and phone from the counter. “Gang, feel free to see your way out. And the next time you get the urge to barge in here to save me from myself, don’t do it.”

 

The family filed out of the loft and some were reeling more than others as they left the building.

 

“The jury is still out but, I think I can learn to love most of your peeps, Daddy B. I may have to wring some of their necks first but I’ll get there.”

 

The foursome laughed and teased each other during the fifteen-minute ride to Daphne’s place. Instead of driving off and returning back to the loft, Brian and Justin were talked into hanging out a little longer.

 

“Have you people met me? Brian Kinney doesn’t do slumber parties. There’s no way I will eat junk food, play spin the bottle, or let you guys paint my nails, and braid my hair. Furthermore, I will delete all of your fag hag points if you don’t fix me a decent drink stat, Miss Chanders.”

 

“Zip it, Kinney. You know you love hanging with us because we keep you feeling as young and beautiful as you look. You can have a beer and that decadent pint of French Vanilla bean gelato Justin and I bought just for you. You’re welcome.”

 

“Brian, I thought Michael’s head was going to explode each time Bree called you Daddy B. He’s going to blow your phone up and you know he’ll probably show up at Kinnetik ranting and raving about how rude Bree was.” Justin rolled his eyes and drained his third beer.

 

“Jus, you’re the one who will have to work with him on the next issue of Rage. He’ll pout you to death.” Daphne giggled as she went to the kitchen for more beer and snacks.

 

I have an idea that may help to unruffled his feathers. I was thinking you and Michael need to add some girl power to your next Rage issue. Bree, wouldn’t you like to be a female superhero or a villainess immortalized in print? I even have a backstory so listen up, all of you. Years ago, Rage was kidnapped and forced to father female children on a mythical island inhabited by Amazonian warrior women. He escaped but retained no memories of that incident.”

 

“Daphne, you are a bigger dork than Michael.” Justin ducked when the tipsy girl tried to swat him on the head.

 

“Shut up and stay with me ‘cause I have been giving this a lot of thought all evening. The island is invaded and the women and their offspring scatter all over the globe, okay? Rage’s daughter Vigilantia… has kool-aid red hair and she rocks a neon purple and black costume with thigh high boots… locates his whereabouts and decides to join him. By day, she is a smack-talking California valley girl but at night, she morphs into a bad-ass defender of the weak in Gayopolis.

 

Valkyria is another long-lost daughter of Rage and I’m thinking purple eyes, turquoise hair, and a royal blue and silver outfit. How does that sound? I want her character to be me but make sure you make her tall with nice boobs. She’s JT’s best friend and his take no prisoners bodyguard hired by Rage.”

 

Bree tossed Justin a piece of paper towel and a black marker. “You should really be taking notes, Taylor. By the time you sober up, you will have forgotten everything Daphne suggested.”

 

“Remember, if you use any of my ideas, I will need something in writing spelling out how much of a cut of the sales and royalties that will be due to me because that issue will fly off the shelf. And you better not try to stiff me because even though you’re my BFF, I will hunt you down like a dirty dog.”

 

Daphne staggered over to Justin and attempted to kiss him on the cheek as she fell into Brian’s lap.

“You guys are totally wasted and shouldn’t get on the road tonight. I insist that the two of you ought to just crash in Bree’s room and she can share my space. I’m going to shower when she comes out and hit the sack because I have to work an early shift tomorrow. G’night, guys, love you.”

 

Brian and Justin made out all the way down the hall to Daphne’s guest room where they quickly relieved themselves of clothing and crawled into the bed.

 

Justin placed his hand on Brian’s chest and stared into the older man’s eyes. “Brian, I have a confession to make and I just want to get it off my chest but I don’t want to discuss it. I think you should know that I loved my Hollywood experience because it was fresh and new every day. I was a part of something that would have changed the world. I didn’t want to be that kid you had to keep saving from himself anymore. It felt so good to be able to finally show you that I deserved to be treated like an equal and could make my own way. Now it’s all over.

 

Daphne and I talked and she helped me to get over feeling cheated, defeated, off balance, and most of all, guilty. In the back of my mind, I knew that I would have been happy forever in LA except that there was one thing missing that I couldn’t live without.” Justin covered Brian’s mouth in a sloppy kiss. “You are the reason I came back home.”

 

Brian closed his eyes as he kissed the younger man in his arms.

‘Why am I not surprised to hear Justin really loved it out there in LA?  Why does the brat tend to over think things to death and work himself up into a lather until he doesn’t know which end is up? I’m proud of the kid for choosing to take the bull by the horns and trusting me enough to finally communicate his true feelings to me.

 

I can’t even say it bothers me that he would have stuck it out there and made a life for himself except that he would have missed me. He would have felt guilty but time would have taken care of that and eventually, the twat would have moved on.

 

Justin and I are good together but he needs a life apart from the crumbs that I am offering him at this stage of my life. So now I’m feeling guilty, too. I wonder, whose hair shirt is the scratchiest?’

 

“Well Sunshine, I kinda of noticed that you were a tad bit moody despite the warm welcome you gave me last night. I just let it ride because I thought you were tired or stressed. But now that we are on the same page, I understand and we’ll work it out.

 

I’m not going to say that you’re back home where you belong because you are meant for bigger and better places than the Pitts. But until you find your footing, my offer still stands. And if you want, I still have room in my drawers for your drawers.”

 

Brian rolled over and whispered into Justin’s ear. “Now, before I change my mind, let’s see if you’ve learned anything new you’d like to share, Sonny boy.”

TBC

 

 

End Notes:

Do you guys remember Dynasty on primetime ABC from 1981 to 1987? The eighties…big hair and ginormous shoulder pads. I still shudder at those memories. SMH…

There is one more chapter left to this tale. I thank everyone who has taken a chance on my story. Thanks for reading, commenting, and the lovely reviews.

 

Chapter 12 THE FREAK OUT by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Snips, snails, and puppy tails…

 

Justin and Brian were the making out when Bree tapped on the door to their bedroom. “Daddy B, I know it is kind of late for chit chat but, I really need to talk to you guys before you get busy in here.”

 

Bree crawled into the bed and insinuated herself on a pillow between the two men.

 

 “I’m your favorite daughter and you’ll always love me no matter what, right? Well, there’s a situation that I’ve been dealing with that’s starting to stress me out and I think I need to tell both of you about it. Is it okay if we just cuddle for a bit?”

 

Justin pulled the sheet up over his almost naked body. “Uh Bree, you might want to rephrase that question. In Brian’s world, “cuddle” is an ugly four letter word.”

 

“Are you kidding me, Papa J? Allow me to be the first to inform you that you guys cuddle all the time.”

 

“Okaaaay children, let’s just agree to disagree on that debatable topic for now. So, what’s on your mind, Bree’ahna?”

 

“Ok Daddy B, first of all, I want you to know that I’m sorry for not trusting you enough to have mentioned this to you sooner. So, my bad.”

 

“Bree, don’t worry about that. Just spit it out because you’re scaring Brian.” Justin touched the girl’s trembling hand and whispered gently in her ear.

 

“Yes, I’m trying to gather my thoughts, Taylor. See, I just don’t know how this happened because I was careful and thought I was being totally responsible, I swear. At first, I was scared and confused and really worried but now that I’ve spoken to my doctor, it doesn’t seem so awful. I know I can do this.

 

Bree placed an ultrasound photo in Brian’s numb hand. “I wanted you guys to know that I’m having twin boys and they are doing fine. I thought it would be great if I could give them your middle names. Baby A will be named Aiden and Baby B is going to be called Cole. Isn’t that cool?

 

Now, I know you’re both thinking that I’m too young to even think about raising babies but it takes a village, you know? I have you Daddy B, Papa J, my mom and dad, Aunty Em, Debbie, and the Munchers. I am keeping both babies because it’s not right to break up a matched set. They’re due late spring, I think.”

 

Brian stared at Justin with an expression of absolute confusion and panic in his round eyes. He turned red, then white, then a noxious shade of green. “Let me up out of this bed, Sunshine. I think I’m going to be sick.” Brian stumbled and nearly lost his footing as he made a beeline to the bathroom.

 

“I need my inhaler,” Justin clutched his throat and gasped brokenly. “I feel like I’m choking and I can’t breathe.”

 

Bree opened the nightstand drawer on Justin’s side of the bed. “Here you go, Papa J.” She pumped the inhaler into his gaping mouth. “I gave you two puffs so you should feel okay in a moment. I’m going to check on poor Daddy B and bring him a cool cloth and some bottled water.

 

‘I’ll be back in a flash, Taylor.” The teen patted Justin’s head and gave him a gentle smile. “I never knew that men are such drama queens. When I told my dad Tony about the babies, he was so excited that fainted on the floor. Can you believe that?”

 

Bree swiveled her slim hips all the way to the fridge while belting out a medley of Madonna’s hits.

 

“Brian, please look at me! It’s okay, really, you’re okay. Listen to me, are you awake?”

 

“Sunshine, what the hell. Why…what… did you just slap me?”

 

“I’m sorry but you were screaming you’re head off and thrashing all over the bed. I’m here Bri, and it was only a dream. Do you want to talk about it?” Justin reached out to wipe the clammy sweat from his partner’s furrowed brow.

 

“Are you insane, Justin? It’s not okay, it’s absolutely horrible. Get up and get dressed.” Brian scrambled up from the bed and threw on his jeans and a wife beater. “Go to Daphne’s room and wake up your daughter. I don’t think I can look at that girl right now. Oh my god, my life is flashing before my eyes. I need a Beam or two. no, just pour me the entire bottle.”

 

Justin stretched his pale body and snuggled back under the sheet. “You can’t be serious, nobody needs hard liquor before breakfast. It’s really too early for you to be queening out, Bri. I’m exhausted and I need coffee before I can think about moving. Why don’t you come back to bed so that I can help you forget about that silly dream?”

 

“Zip it, Sunshine. What I just experienced was so not just a dream. On the Richter scale of nightmares, it was a nine point nine. I can still feel my heart pounding in my chest.” Brian slipped his feet into his boots and ran a hand through his tousled hair. He scooped up Justin’s wrinkled cargo pants and tee shirt from the floor and flung the clothing on the bed.

 

“Justin, why are you still lying there naked? Get dressed now! I’ll meet you and Bree’ahna outside in the jeep because we need to get to Toyland asap. What time does that store open?”

 

“They open at 10 a.m. but why in the world are we going back there? We were just there yesterday and the clerk told you to check back later on in the week for the items you ordered. Anyway, that place isn’t exactly appropriate for a sixteen-year-old girl. Why don’t we just take Bree to the mall later? You said you were taking the day off so that we could hang out together.”

 

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose and rolled his eyes at the youth. “Excuse me, but did you say something about inappropriate? I’ll tell you what is inappropriate, Justin. Having twin grandsons with our middle names is inappropriate.” Brian was nearly shouting as he paced in front of the bed.

 

Do I look like grandfather material? I will not be that guy. I’m only thirty-two years old, for Christ’s sake! Somebody just shoot me now before I end up as the laughing stock of Liberty Avenue.” He moaned piteously, “Oh god, I feel sick to my stomach.”

 

Listen to me, Sunshine. Are you listening?

 

Justin nodded, pulled up his pants, and walked slowly but carefully to the bedroom door.

 

“We are going to Toyland and taking Bree’ahna along in order to get her fitted for a chastity belt. Then we are grounding her until she is twenty-five. If you don’t back me up on this Sunshine, I will not put out for a month so don’t test me. Now, I want you and the Karate Kid in the jeep in five minutes. End of discussion.”

 

Justin ran down the hall to Daphne’s room and banged on the door until Bree appeared yawning and rubbing her bleary eyes. “Bree you’ve got to get up and throw on something. Your Daddy B has lost his mind and you’re not going to believe what is going on in his head.”

 

When the teen was sufficiently covered, Justin grabbed her by the hand and towed the groggy girl out to the idling vehicle.

 

“But I’m sooooooo exhausted, Taylor. I don’t feel like going to the store to shop for toys. Daphne and I didn’t doze off until after three this morning. Then, her alarm clock went off at seven and the stupid thing crows like a rooster. Listen, you have my permission to take Daddy B back to bed and de-stress him. Then we will all feel much better. Okay?”

 

“Well, it’s about time. Would you two please get into the car? Justin, you drive because thanks to my darling offspring, my nerves are shot.”

 

“Seriously, Mr. Kinney? Your subconscious does a number on you while you’re sleeping, and now I’ve been demoted to red-headed stepchild status? Taylor told me what you’re spazzing out about. I can’t believe you dragged us out of bed because you want to explore birth control options for me. Why don’t you just get me spayed at that 24-hour vet hospital on the corner?” Bree’s eyes were spitting fire and her delicate jaw was clenched.

 

“Bree, be nice. Brian is feeling kinda shell-shocked right now so why don’t you sit here in the back seat and try not to poke the bear.”

 

Brian continued mumbling under his breath, “Gus will not become an uncle before he is in preschool. Not gonna happen.” His hands shook as he attempted to light a cigarette.

 

“Okay Brian, time out. How about we call a truce so we can parlay for a bit. This may come as a shock to you but I knew what condoms were used for long before I saw them scattered all over your loft like confetti. I dated a quarterback my entire freshman year. We learned a lot about each other but I was always careful to protect myself. Do you feel me?”

 

Bree caught Brian’s eye in the rearview mirror, smiled, and rolled her lips into her lush mouth.

 

“Justin, look at her. Did you see that? That tech at the DNA lab was spot on because I couldn’t deny paternity if my life depended on it. Honeycutt laughed like a loon when I heard him tell Debbie that I spit the girl out.”

 

“Yes, Bri. I have told you more than once that Bree is your female Mini-Me. I knew you weren’t listening.”

 

“The point I’m trying to make is I wouldn’t be so stressed if she were as homely as a mud fence. But no, with that hair, face, and body, she’s the total Kinney package. This girl rolled out of bed five minutes ago but she’s runway model ready. I almost wish she wanted to be a lesbian. I’m going to have to buy a shotgun and carry it around 24/7.”

 

Justin placed his hands on Brian’s distraught face and kissed him gently. “You hate guns so just buy her a bodyguard. Bri, Bree is nobody’s fool. I’m sure she knows how to take care of herself.”

 

“Uh hello. I’m sitting here and I can hear every word that is coming out of your mouths. I don’t appreciate being discussed as if I were invisible even if what you guys are saying is sort of a compliment.”

 

“Bree forgive us for offending you but Brian is in protector mode. He is still adjusting to the reality that you’re his flesh and blood so he can’t help feeling stressed and territorial.”

 

Bree twisted the mass of wavy auburn ringlets into a loose knot on top of her head. “Brian, do you think that I’m too stupid to take care of me? A baby is not the worst thing I could acquire if I don’t take proper precautions. Listen up guys, I like kids and babies just as much as the next person. But, a kid is not on my to-do list right now. I’m too busy being spoiled silly by the two of you and I like my life the way it is. It will be years before I entertain the thought of allowing a rug rat to cramp my style.

 

I hope you don’t think I’m judging you and my mom, I would never. But I am here because the two of you were not careful and I am so grateful that you guys messed up. However, I don’t intend to see history repeat itself, thank you very much.”

 

“See Bri, your daughter really does have her head on straight. So why don’t you calm down and just breathe?” Justin smoothed Brian’s hair into a semblance of his usual intentional state of disorder.

“Daddy B, I’ll have you know that I have a ten-year agenda. When I told your Pittsburg clan that they would get sick of seeing my face, I meant it. I hope you’ll be okay with my decision to stay awhile. After I graduate college, you can make Cynthia a partner and hire me to replace her. Then when I’m 26 or 27 you can throw me a huge wedding. You and my dad Tony can walk me down the aisle and give me away. Maybe a year later I will present you with those twin boys you were babbling about. O ye of little faith, rest your nerves. I got this!”

 

“Papa J, is that your belly rumbling? I can relate because I’m starving too. Please drive us to the diner so I can dive into one of those Pink Plat Specials you told me about. I’m ordering extra hash browns and double bacon with my meal.Yum.”

 

Bree leaned over the front seat and added in a stage whisper, “Hey Taylor, the extra is for your partner to share with me because then he’ll be able to save face.”

 

“When did you learn about the carbs don’t count if they come from someone else’s plate rule, Bree?”

 

Justin giggled and squirmed when Brian poked him in the hip.

 

“I just feel soooo sorry for poor Daddy B. There, there, there, you have my sympathy because I can only imagine how boring dry toast, egg whites, and black coffee does get to be day after day.”

 

Brian pretended to ignore the jokes and adjusted the radio station. Bree grabbed his hand, “No, leave it! That’s my jam. You gotta love Madonna! The girl began to belt out lyrics in a smooth contralto, “Like a virgin, Hey! Touched for the very…”

 

Brian’s breath hitched in his throat, “Justin, I can’t…”

 

“Bree, please don’t. I almost had Brian talked down from the ledge so continue to work with me, please.”

 

“Sorry Papa J, I sing when I’m happy and I can’t help it. I’m such a totally lucky girl to have two of the hottest dads on the east coast. By the way Taylor, I want you to call Daphne and let her know we’re going to the mall when she knocks off this afternoon. I want her to help me pick out a power suit for Take Your Kid To Work Day At Kinnetik!

 

When will we get to the diner?”

 

Bree reached over the seat to pinch Justin’s pale cheek and drop a kiss on Brian’s head.

TBC

 

End Notes:

 

When I decided to use part of the line “Thursday’s child has far to go…” from the Mother Goose rhyme as the title for my story, I had no idea that the legendary Eartha Kitt: actress, singer, dancer…and the slinkiest Cat Woman ever… penned her first autobiography and recorded a song both entitled Thursday’s Child.

 This year will be the 10Th anniversary of Ms. Kitt’s passing. (January 17, 1927 – December 25, 2008). She was 81 years young and still a purring sex kitten. We miss you, Eartha. RIP

 

Thanks for all the reviews, likes, and encouragement.

 

 

Chapter 13 DADDY'S GIRL by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

A son is a son till he takes him a wife, a daughter is a daughter all of her life.  ~Irish saying

“Your building is interesting in a weird sort of way, Daddy B. Aren’t those plumbing fixtures on the walls? When you bought this place to use for your business was it some kind of men’s locker room?”

 

“Yes and yes, Bree’ahna. Sunshine’s mom is a realtor and when I told her   I was looking for a building with personality to house Kinnetik in, she wasted no time. As soon as she showed me the place, I made arrangements to acquire this old bathhouse. It was just what I wanted so I jumped on it.”

 

 “Hey Brian, good morning. I wasn’t expecting to see you in the office today. Please introduce me to your lovely companion.”

 

“Bree’ahna, this is Cynthia Wright, my right hand and official gatekeeper of Castle Kinney. Cyn, this is my daughter Bree’ahna K. Johnston, and she’ll be in town visiting for the week.”

 

“Hello Cynthia, I have heard some great things about you. It is so nice to meet the real power behind Brian Kinney’s throne. You can call me Bree, if you like. I told my father that I want to be you when I grow up.” Bree smiled and extended her hand to the attractive woman.

 

“Brian, I like this girl already because she is definitely a firecracker and I do believe she will give you a run for your money.” Cynthia took Bree’s hand in hers and gave the slim fingers a gentle squeeze. “Just say the word Kinney, and I will hire her on the spot.”

.

“I’m very pleased to make your acquaintance, Bree’ahna. You look very professional and I love the shoes. Red Bottoms are one of my favorite brands and they make such a strong statement.” Cynthia nodded her approval of the black pencil skirt and fitted blazer that hugged the teen’s slender curves.

 

“Brian, I hate to bother you with this but, I have one of your Problem Child accounts on hold. I was double checking some of the terms on their account before I smack them over the head with a breach of contract threat. If you prefer to handle them, I’ll be thrilled to transfer the call to your line.”  

 

“Those idiots are more trouble than they are worth, but give me a couple minutes then put those clowns through, Cyn. Bree’ahna, excuse me for ditching you but, this won’t take long.” Brian grumbled as he stalked into his office and booted up his computer.

 

Cynthia returned her attention to the girl who had wandered away a bit to examine an exquisite piece of artwork on the wall. ‘God, she even moves like Brian. Blood will tell.’

 

“Hey Bree, I’m sure Brian will keep that tongue lashing short and sweet but, would you like to accompany me down to the break room for a coffee? We’ll grab one for your dad as well because he can only deal with those nitwits when he is heavily caffeinated. How are you enjoying your stay here in the Pitts?”

 

“I’ve only been here a few days. Brian and Justin have been keeping me pretty busy. We’ve been hanging out with his family and shopping. The culture shock is real because LA and the Pitts are so different and not because they are on different coasts. I’m getting a totally different vibe and it’s like saying apples and oranges are the same because they’re both fruits. Not!"

 

Cynthia pointed out the various departments in the building. “Have you decided where you plan to attend college, Bree? The last couple years of high school fly by in the blink of an eye.” Cynthia removed a canister labeled Mr. Kinney from the freezer section of the refrigerator. “This is Brian’s special blend from Hawaii. You are in for a treat, my girl.”

 

The ladies strolled back to Cynthia’s office with their fragrant beverages.

 

“Bree, Brian is still growling on the phone so I’ll leave his cup on his desk and run to the ladies room to freshen up a bit. Can I get you to do me a teeny tiny favor? If any calls come through just greet them politely and place them on hold by pressing this lighted button. I’ll only be a minute. If you like, you can just transfer the caller by pressing this yellow button. Thanks, Sweetie, I’ll be back in two shakes.”

 

The echo from the tapping of Cynthia’s heels hadn’t faded away before the phone rang. “Good morning and thank you for calling Kinnetik. How may I direct your call?” Bree transferred the call to the queue and took a sip of her latte. ‘Hey, I am liking like this.’

 

Suddenly a familiar whine out in the hallway grated on Bree’s eardrums.

 

“No, he isn’t expecting me and I don’t need an appointment because Brian Kinney has been my best friend for almost twenty years. Young lady, I’ve never seen you before so you must be a temp or a new hire. I know the way so I’ll just wait outside Brian’s office until he ends his call.”

 

Michael’s eyes bulged from the sockets when he spied Bree at Cynthia’s desk. “What in the world are you doing here? Just who do you think you are anyway? You’re just some mouthy girl who is trying to use Brian and doesn’t know her place. I still don’t really believe you’re his daughter because it’s plain to see that you’re… ”

 

“Good morning to you too, Michael Novatny.  And yeah, I believe the word you’re groping for is biracial, mixed, or half and half. Guess what Michael? In case you haven’t noticed, we’re everywhere, just like Gays and Lesbians. And another thing, where exactly is my place supposed to be? Are you trying to throw some shade at me? Why don’t you just come right out and say what you really mean? You won’t because you are a coward who is masquerading as a bully.”

 

Michael loomed over Cynthia’s desk, pointed his index finger at Bree, and hissed shrilly, “You’re asking for it, little girl. Brian is going to send you packing on the first thing smoking when I let him know how you just spoke to me.”

 

Cynthia stormed into her office and grabbed Michael’s arm. “Michael, how dare you? Are you insane? Step away from this child before I call security and have you thrown out of this building!”

 

“Take your claws out of my arm, Cynthia. Don’t you realize that by leaving HER at your desk you risk exposing Kinnetik’s company business so she can rob Brian blind? Obviously, you must not value your position or the trust of your employer very much. Besides, she doesn’t look like a child to me. Am I the only one who hasn’t been fooled by this person?”

 

 “Okay Mikey, you busted me. I’ll ‘fess up and admit that I turned 46 a few weeks ago and I’m happy that I can pass for someone 20 or 30 years younger. You know, Taylor told me that you were delusional but harmless and that’s why I’m going to let this slide. But I suggest you step back and get that finger out of my face if you want to keep it.”

 

Michael snatched his arm out of Cynthia’s grasp and crossed them over his chest. “That’s strike two for you, Missy. Brian isn’t going to appreciate hearing that you just threatened me. You just keep on digging yourself in deeper and deeper until you have enough rope to hang yourself with.” 

 

“Actually Mikey, it sounds more like a promise to me than a threat. I’m looking out for you when I say that you ought to do as Bree’ahna says so that I don’t have to explain to explain to Ma why I stood by and allowed her baby boy to be ripped to shreds.

 

Brian crowded his ‘best friend’ toward the open doorway of the office.

 

Not another word, Michael. I know why you’re here and I don’t care to hear anything you have to say. This is my place of business and yours is on the other side of Liberty Avenue, remember? I’m going to tell you for the last time, Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston is off limits. You have been warned.”

 

“Bri, I’ll see you later when you’re free to talk sensibly.” Michael stomped down the hall and out of the front door.

 

Brian glared at his best friend as the man exited the building. “Cyn, remind me that you are overdue for another raise. Thanks to Michael, you probably make more money than I do. Bree’ahna, I give you permission to just have at him the next time he gets in your face. Sunshine was right, Michael is harmless but he’s not the brightest bulb in the box.

 

“If he knew better, he’d do better so I’m not worried about him, Daddy B. I’m adorable and cute so I know he’ll come around eventually. You love him, therefore, he must have some good points or else you wouldn’t have had him in your life all these years.

 

Cynthia said you would give me a tour of the departments, so lead the way, Mr. Kinney. Oh, I almost forgot to ask what time will we be taking lunch? Taylor will be meeting us because I told him it would be my treat but you guys can leave the tip.”

 

At the loft, a couple days before Bree flies back to LA…

“I never knew I would enjoy Thai food so much, Daddy B. It was absolutely delish!”

 

Brian slid the remainder of the box of noodles onto Bree’s plate.

 

Thanks, I’m about to pop but I know I’ll be hungry again within an hour.

As you guys know, I’m going home on the weekend, but I have been doing some serious thinking for the past few days. I have decided that when I get back to LA, I’ll discuss my plans with my parents and let them know I’ll be relocating here in Pittsburg. Mom and dad knew I was leaving the state to attend college and they won’t be as concerned if they know I’m with you guys. I’m pretty sure that I’ll be applying at Carnegie Mellon because I have a 4.0 GPA and shouldn’t have a problem getting accepted when I graduate

 

Then I’ll give notice on my job, pack up my stuff to put in storage until I’m ready to have it shipped, and help my roommate Miko find a replacement. I’ll be back here in Pittsburgh in exactly a month. I keep telling you guys, I got this.”

 

“I must admit that you do appear to have all your ducks in a row, Bree’ahna. That is commendable on your part because in the world we live in, if you fail to plan then you plan to fail.”

 

Brian didn’t divulge the details of the various plans and changes he put into motion recently. For instance, the call he made to his attorney about adding Bree’ahna as a beneficiary to his estate and the college fund Ted sent him the specs on the other night.

 

“You can say that again, Daddy B. By the way, I have been meaning to ask you how do I go about applying for an internship at Kinnetik? Are there any deadlines, qualifications, or requirements I have to meet for eligibility?

 

You see, I’ve researched several other companies recently that pay their interns a slave’s wage if anything at all. So, if that is your company policy, I’m okay with that. When my ninety days is up I’m confident that if I learn as much as possible during the training period, I’ll be will be offered a permanent entry-level position. I really want to score the job because of my efforts and not just because I’m related to the boss.

 

I’m not a high maintenance chick but I do like nice things.  I’m not a user or a sponge and I have no problem with paying my own way. I have enough money saved to live on for several months but I’m going to need a decent salary sooner than later.

 

I don’t know if she mentioned it to you and Taylor but, Daphne and I agreed to be roomies and that means we will need a bigger place. I know what you’re going to say. You want me to concentrate on my studies and you’re going offer to help me. You’ve already shown me how generous you are, but I don’t want you guys to think I’m a gold digger or a leech.”

 

“Bree, we would never think that about you. I admire your independence and drive. Brian is very proud of you and in his eyes, you can do no wrong. He looks out for his own and there is nothing you can say to change his mind about that.”

 

“Sunshine is correct, Bree’ahna. In fact, I have something I need to share with you. I’m glad this information arrived before you left because I wanted to talk to you about this in person. Open it.” Brian gave the girl an envelope that was addressed to her.

 

“Daddy B, you ordered me a credit card? I’m grateful and thank you but why?”

 

“It is for child support, Bree’ahna.  I was unaware of your existence for sixteen years, but ignorance is no excuse. I know now and I feel like I owe it to you. Funds will be deposited into the account for your use on a monthly basis. If you were still at home with your parents, I would have allowed them to handle the money for you. However, you are not a child and have been taking care of yourself for a while now. You can do what you want with the money but keep in mind that you’re not too young to begin planning for your financial future.

 

Theodore Schmidt aka Ted is my CFO. You met him at Deb’s and he was at the loft the other evening. That means he’s family and a friend. Theodore will always be willing to make himself available in order to advise you on investment options. I suggest you take advantage of his services. If you ever need anything and I can’t be reached or I’m away on business, let him or Cynthia know and they will help you.”

 

“Thank you, Daddy B. I will look into your suggestion for me and make the right decision.”

 

“Um Bree, I was super impressed with your sales pitch and in my opinion, you’d make a decent ad man one day. However, I’m not trying to burst your bubble but do you have a Plan B? Internships are only offered to high school seniors and you just turned sixteen recently. That tells me you have at least two more years of high school, am I correct?” 

 

Bree cocked her head to one side and appeared to be deep in thought. “Hmmm, a plan B you say, Taylor? Well, if Daddy B were straight and we weren’t so closely related, I could offer sexual favors to get my foot in the door at Kinnetik. As you know, he’s a total hottie but, the incest thing kinda squicks me out and there are laws in every state that frown on it.

 

Nepotism, on the other hand, is unethical but it gets a pass in my book. I look at it this way, what’s the use of having family in high places if they can’t give you a leg up? I’m just saying. But no, neither of those two options are my style.

 

So, it’s a good thing I won’t need a Plan B or C because guess what? I’m a senior so GOTCHA! Tony and Lani allowed me to skip eighth grade and all I need in order to graduate is one measly credit. That means I’m able to do half days at school and work part-time at Kinnetik. Go me! I could have gone to summer school but I didn’t want to miss out on sashaying down the aisle in a cap and gown with all my peers.”

 

“Well, as Emmy Lou would say if he were here, ‘Just stick me with a fork ‘cause I’m done!’ Young lady, I think we might need to limit your association with Sunshine and his BFF because obviously, they’re a bad influence on you. It’s plain to see that you’re becoming as bratty as they are. Why don’t you contact Cynthia asap and let her help you with the intern application process? Unlike you, I have no problem with a little nepotism. She’ll probably make you her assistant and turn you into her Mini-Me. God help us all.”

 

TBC

End Notes:

I thought this was going to be my final chapter so that I could put this puppy to bed. But, my muse has told me to just sit back, shut up, and let her drive. So if you guys are still enjoying this story, I have a couple more chapters to unload before I wrap up this tale.

Thanks for reading, commenting, and the lovely reviews.

Chapter 14 MURPHY'S LAW by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

When it rains, it pours…

 

JUSTIN’S POV

Daphne and Justin sat at a booth sipping large lattes from Starbucks.

 

“Daph, I appreciate the ride to the airport. It would have been great if you could have come too.”

 

“Yeah, but I am going to need to save my vacation days for our trip with Brian to Ibiza at the very end of the month. When I spoke with Bree last night we squeeeee’d for like five whole minutes!”

 

Bree had returned to LA in order to pack up her life and relocate to Pittsburg ten days earlier when Justin received an unexpected phone call from Mr. Palmer, Brett’s driver. Three days later, Justin and Daphne were sitting at a booth indulging themselves with large coffees and cookies from Starbucks while waiting for his announcement to board his flight to LA.

 

“You’ll be so hard at work on that masterpiece for your friend and helping Bree tie up her loose ends you won’t have time to think about me. This is your first paid commission. Why do I get the feeling you’re not exactly overjoyed?”

 

“Are you crazy, Daph? What are you talking about? I’m thrilled! When Mr. Palmer called to ask me to do a family portrait as a gift to his wife for their fortieth anniversary, I couldn’t believe it.  It should take me three days if I stay focused to complete the work. I still can’t believe he’s paying me seven hundred bucks and sprang for my round trip ticket.”

 

“Well then Picasso, what’s with the face? You’ll only be gone a few days, Brian won’t have forgotten about you if that’s what you’re worried about.  I know you like the back of my hand, so spill already!”

 

“I didn’t want to say anything because it wasn’t a big deal. But the other night, I was Brian-ized and now I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.”

 

“You can straighten out this kerfuffle back when you get home next weekend. By then, Brian should be back in town after putting out the fires that threaten his bottom line and employee bonuses. You guys will talk it out because if I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a zillion times, communication is the key. It’s time for you to line up for boarding, so I’ll walk you to the gate.”

 

“Thanks again and I’ll call you when I land, Daphne. Later”

 

THREE DAYS LATER…

“Justin, listen, it’s me, Daphne. I just intercepted a call at the loft for Brian.  All I can say is you guys you need to get back here asap! Seriously, he’s in over his head and will need all the help and support that he can get but will never ask for. And you know why? Because he is a stubborn ass! Please call me back as soon as you get this message!”

 

“Daphne, I was on another call. What’s wrong? Has something happened to Brian? I have Bree on a three-way so, talk to us.”

 

“Oh Justin, thank God! I don’t know the details or any facts whatsoever but the call was from a hospital in Boston. They wanted to give Brian some last minute instructions and confirm his pre-op appointment and check-in times for Monday morning. Justin, I googled the name of that hospital and it specializes in treatments for cancer.”

 

“Cancer? Get out of here, that’s crazy! Daphne, are you sure that’s what you heard?”

 

“Justin, I’m absolutely positive about what I heard because I replayed the message twice. Do you guys have money to make reservations to fly back to Pittsburgh? If you’re low on cash, don’t worry because I can help the two of you out. I hope you believe that I would never joke about anything this serious. Justin, say something. Are you still there?”

 

“Yes, Daphne, we can hear you and I’m certain Taylor knows that you are not yanking his chain. Like me, I think he’s kinda in shock and… Are you still at the loft?”

 

No, Bree. I left immediately because I didn’t want to confront Brian before I’d spoken to you guys. Justin are you okay?”

 

“No, yes,  I don’t think so, but I’ll be better as soon as we get back home, Daph. Don’t worry, we have more than enough cash to book the flights and thanks for asking. Look, we’ll call you back and let you know when we will arrive. Later, Daph.

 

Bree, I’m on my way back to your place. I’ll text you my card number so that you can reserve us the first available flight departing to Pittsburg.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

2 hours later…

Bree slid into the window seat, closed her eyes, and leaned her head back.

 

“Omg Bree, for a minute I thought we weren’t going to make it. Between the nightmare that is Friday afternoon traffic, the mad dash through the airport like crazy people, and misplacing our confirmations, I’m about to have a nervous breakdown.”

 

“Taylor, I have a question or ten, take your pick. Stuff happens, I know that. But what is going on with…my father? Why has he shut us out? Doesn’t he know how much we care and…”

 

 “Bree, you know how people say before a breakup …it’s not you, it’s me…? Well, when you’re dealing with Brian you can rest assured it’s really him and the mountain of baggage that he brings along with him. Blame his biological family because you wouldn’t believe the number they have done on him. I don’t know all the details because Brian would rather eat broken glass than talk about growing up in the Kinney household. I met his mom once and the only thing I have to say about the woman is…not good.

 

What I have learned about Brian’s past consists of tidbits and breadcrumbs dropped by Michael and Debbie. They have been Brian’s family and support system ever since he met Michael when they were both fourteen years old kids. To be truthful, I don’t believe Brian has ever shared anything pleasant or positive about his real family.

 

Brian sincerely believes that the only person he can trust and depend on is himself. I’ll bring you up to speed and offer you some pertinent information from my latest edition of the Brian Kinney operating manual aka Brian Kinney 101.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

Daphne was pacing impatiently in front of the luggage counter when Justin and Bree waved and hurried over to the frantic girl.

 

“How was your flight?” Daphne hugged her friends and hustled them out to the curb. “Let’s go because I’m double parked and can’t afford another ticket this month.” Justin tossed their bags in the trunk and they sped away. “Sorry, I have to concentrate while I’m driving because I always take the wrong exit so no talking about the situation until I get you guys to my place.”

 

As soon as Daphne locked her front door, Justin pounced. “Daph, you’re killing me and I am losing it. Start from the beginning and tell us what you know.”

 

“Guys, yesterday I dropped in on Brian at the office and I told him I needed details so I could request time off for our trip. I let him know how excited I was about him flying the four of us out to Ibiza on his dime at the end of the month. He said he would get back to me because there may be a change of plans. He was very vague, hesitant, and almost evasive. I felt like he was blowing me off when he said he would have to cut our little chat short because he was late for a meeting.

 

So I left Kinnetik and went by the diner for a snack and Debbie was leaving so she asked me to give her a ride home. She said I was right on time and asked me to I deliver some meals she had prepared for Brian. You know how she goes on and on about him being too skinny. I was like, no problem. It wasn’t the first time that I let myself into the loft with the key Brian had given me months ago.”

 

“Really? Get outta here! When did Brian give you a key to the loft, Daph? I thought that privilege was reserved for Mikey and Lindz.”

 

“Shortly after you left for LA, Brian needed some boards that you had done some time ago for an account. You must have forgotten all about it, Justin. The client popped into town suddenly and Brian couldn’t leave to get them.  He didn’t want to ask Michael or Lindsay because they were at work and he was afraid he would never get the keys back from either of those two without a tussle.

 

So, he asked me to do it and gave me a hundred bucks for my time. Then, he insisted that I keep the key just in case since you were gone and he might need my help again. Sometimes I’d drop by if he was in for the evening and we’d smoke his primo weed, pig out on crap that I didn’t think I’d ever see Brian put in his mouth, and watch some of those black and white movies he was addicted to.

 

So, there I was loaded down like a pack mule with two tote bags of Tupperware containers. I could have told Debbie that Brian doesn’t eat that much food in a year, but why waste my breath. She said there was no way one of her boys would starve on her watch. I put everything in the freezer and was on my way out the door when I decided to wait around for Brian in case he was feeling down from missing you and wanted some company for the evening.

 

Anyway, I was putting a pan of lasagna in the oven when the house phone rang and the caller opted to record a message. Then, I freaked out, put everything away, called you, and made a beeline for the door. The rest is history.”

 

“It all makes so much more sense now. Remember what I told you two about Brian’s crappy attitude and the spat we had right before I left last week? It was two nights before I was due to fly out to LA. I was packing paint and supplies when Brian came in from work, grunted something, and walked into the bedroom. Ten minutes later, he was decked out in his sluttiest club clothes and announced that he was going out for a while. I asked him if he wanted some company to give me a few minutes and I’d be ready in no time. He shut me down and said he be back later.

 

He came in around two…as high as a kite…and I could smell at least two tricks on him. He staggered away to shower them off and passed out as soon as his head hit the pillow. I was at a complete loss because I had no idea what had set him off. He’s been all over me lately and we’ve been joined at the hip ever since I moved into the loft with him.

 

The next day, Brian announced that he had to deal with a situation or I thought he said there was an account that needed his attention. He said he was leaving the day after I took off and he would be out of town for at least three days. I knew I smelled a rat but I didn’t have a clue as to why he was acting so off. It all makes perfect sense to me now that I realize Brian was in the middle of fight or flight mode. I get it now even though I can’t believe this is happening.”

 

“The way Daddy B hustled me off the phone the other night had me all up in my feelings too,” Bree admitted ruefully. “I called him to confirm what day he was flying in so that Tony and Leilani could make dinner reservations for all of us. He didn’t have time to talk and I was all like, ouch! Was it something I said? So yeah, I was wondering if he was thinking that his life had changed too much too fast. I thought maybe he needed some space. I was all about me when my father was probably scared out of his mind.”

 

“Justin, Bree, Brian is probably so stressed he can’t think straight. But we’re here now and all we have to do is figure out what we’re going to do to get him through this. Justin, you did say Brian is probably at Babylon, right? Let’s go to the loft and if he hasn’t erased the message, you can hear it for yourselves.”

 

BRIAN’S  LOFT

Justin played the recorded message a third time and took a deep breath. “Brian is a micromanaging Alpha dog with control freak tendencies. He’s going to be at Defcon One because, in his book, our good intentions are an egregious invasion of his privacy. He has to be terrified and he’s going to strike out and try to hit us with everything he’s got. But there are three of us and we got the drop on him so I know we can take him. We’re going to kill him with kindness. Guys, I hear the elevator so that must be him. Get your game faces on. It’s show time.”

 

The trio assumed identical expressions of resoluteness on their faces as they watched Brian enter the loft.

 

“What have we here? If it isn’t the Git Along Gang and they’re back in the saddle again. Hey Sunshine, when did you and the Karate Kid blow back into the Pitts? And what’s up with the long faces? Has there been a recall on your favorite sugar encrusted breakfast cereal? Has NBC canceled that Powderpuff Dolls marathon the three of you were so giddy about?”

 

Justin pressed the button on the phone and watched as the color drained from Brian’s expressionless features.

 

“Brian, before you lash out at Justin, I want you to know it was me who ratted you out. And you know what? I’d do it again because my best friend is your partner, and my favorite roomie is your daughter and I think of you as the big brother I have always wanted. I will always be there for you whether you like it or not because we’re family. So get over yourself and let us help get you over this hurdle.”

 

“Me and Daphne know your MO, and yet you were able to herd us up Cliff Kinney. But Bri, Bree is brand new to the game and you hurt her and had her second-guessing how you really feel about your relationship with her. But I helped her see the light and now, we’re all on to you.

 

I can’t believe you had every intention of keeping us in the dark about your condition. I’m so scared and angry and all I want to do is have Bree and Daph help me kick your ass up and down Liberty Avenue. And when this is over, I just might actually follow through.”

 

‘Yeah, Daddy B, this whole deal is so uncool. Fool me once…and I know you know the rest. So we’re going to need for you to cut the crap and remember we got your back. Taylor and I have already made reservations for flights and a hotel for the duration of your stay in Boston. I know you don’t like it but I guess you’ll just have to suck it up because we will not let you go through this alone.”

 

Justin, Bree, and Daphne surrounded Brian in a group hug.

 

“Bri, we know you’re scared and we are scared for you. But for once just trust us and let us support you for a change. Start from the beginning and tell us everything so that we are all on the same page. Will you try, please?”

 

Brian squeezed his eyes shut and nodded slowly. “This stays here in the loft because I don’t want…I can’t deal with Mikey, Debbie, or Lindsay right now. Swear it all of you.”

 

“Of course, Brian, that goes without saying. Not a word and I know I can speak for all three of us. Right, Daph, Bree?

 

“I promise, Brian.”

 

“Daddy B, my lips are sealed.”

 

TBC

End Notes:

We are getting down to the wire on this story. One more chapter, maybe two and an epilogue will tie things up. 

Thank you for reading, commenting, and I appreciate the reviews.

Chapter 15 BLINDSIDED by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

The act of being taken by surprise or attacked when one is vulnerable or unprepared.

Brian poured himself two fingers of Beam and raised the glass to his mouth in order to buy time and organize his thoughts.  Several minutes passed as he stood there silently staring out of the window. However, the three youths seated tensely on the white sofa behind him waited patiently.

 

All of this has happened so fast that I still feel as if I’m starring in an episode of The Twilight Zone. I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster ride that won’t slow down and stop so that I can get off.

 

I remember the first time I noticed the discomfort. About a month before Justin and Bree arrived in Pittsburg. I was at Babylon in the back room with a trick when I saw stars and felt the earth move but not in a life-affirming way. I almost dropped to my knees which is something I haven’t done in front of an audience in more than a decade.  I felt like I was being stabbed down there and I came this close to knocking that guy on his ass. He apologized for being too rough, so I brushed the incident off.

 

The next time I experienced the pain and tenderness in my groin was the night I arrived in LA and surprised Justin in his bungalow.  I froze at once when the twinge of pain surged through my lower region. Of course, the twink noticed my reaction because he has memorized the nuances of each and every one of my facial expressions. He petted me and ran his fingers over my entire body in a soothing manner. I told him I had a minor muscle cramp from overdoing my workout the day before.

 

Bree had been gone a week when the incident happened a third time. The brat and I were in the middle of round two or three, or five when we both flinched during mid-stroke. My entire body recoiled from the agonizing the pain in my scrotum that nearly took my breath away. Justin was startled by the sound of the juvenile ringtone downloaded on his phone therefore he didn’t notice my discomfort enough to give me the third degree. I was literally saved by the bell. Justin took the call from Mr. Palmer about a commission for the man’s family portrait. The twat was grinning from ear to ear as he gave me one last sloppy kiss and made a beeline for the shower. Five minutes later, he bounced out of the loft in search of art supplies for his project.

 

I stood at the window watching and as soon as I saw him exit the building and practically skip down the street, I returned to our bed and assumed the position. I checked and manipulated every square inch of the family jewels until the discovery of a small hard knot forced me to hiss and cry out in pain.

 

What the hell? Could I have picked up a dose of the clap or something worse from somewhere? I’m as careful as I can be and had slowed down on tricking for the past few months. What in the world am I going to tell Sunshine if that is the case?

 

Things have been right as rain between us ever since he came home. Justin has signed up for two classes at Mellon and even though they’re not PIFA, the art and animation departments were nothing to sneeze at.

 

I’d just snagged two huge accounts for Kinnetik. I even made arrangements for TEAM BRIAN to accompany me as “consultants” for a client I have my eye on in Ibiza. Jennifer has found the perfect apartment for Daphne and Bree’ahna near the high school she will be attending with Hunter aka the littlest hustler.  Like I said, things were just peachy.

 

And just like that, life happened.

 

I got up from the bed and made an appointment with my doctor for the next day.

 

A couple of days later, I get called in for my test results and that’s when stuff hit the fan. I’m sitting in an office being given information I can’t seem to wrap my head around. It’s like white noise and that incomprehensible sound effect the adults on Charley Brown cartoons make when they are speaking.

 

The next thing I know, my doc is making me appointments for blood work, scans, and biopsies. And that’s when shit got real.

 

So, I really don’t need a bunch of kids standing around to hold my hands during a bedside vigil. If I really wanted to, I could simply give The Three Amigos the slip. But Justin, the pit bull Taylor, is beyond tenacious, Hurricane Daphne doesn’t drop below a category seven when she makes landfall, and Bree’ahna aka The Karate Kid can probably bench press a refrigerator in her sleep. That nosey gaggle of twats are some scary badasses and I have no doubt that the three of them would just track me down and hand me my ass when they were done. 

 

Brian wondered for the umpteenth time how the trio has managed to wrap him around their collective pinky fingers. God knows, all Justin had to do was bat those blue eyes and he was a goner. Maybe he was he drawn to their caring, sweetness, child-like antics, and capacity to love him unconditionally. On the other hand, he was impressed by their ability to speak their minds and take charge when necessary because each of them was in possession of a set of titanium balls and didn’t know the meaning of fear.

 

Brian finally turned away from the window to face his uninvited guests.

 

“Either I’m losing my touch and need to kick my insensitive asshole skills up a few notches or it must still be true that ‘fools rush in where angels fear to tread.’  Do me a huge favor and stay away from Kinnetik until further notice. My art department is all but worthless on a good day. I’m afraid the three of you will infect my other employees with your lack of proper reverence, fear, and respect for Ogre Kinney and I will have a mutiny on my hands.

 

Okay, you’ve been such patient little listeners so I’ll make a long story short and give you guys the Reader’s Digest version of what is going on.

 

Ten days ago, I found a lump in one of my testicles. I made an appointment with my doctor who immediately referred me to an oncology specialist.”

 

Was it really only ten days ago when I sat in that tastefully furnished office and saw my life flash before my very eyes?

 

I listened intently and when Dr. Sloan paused for a breath, I interjected to ask him a question.

 

“What are my chances?” 

 

“Good question, Mr. Kinney. I see you are a man that doesn’t hesitate to cut to the chase. An orchiectomy is the name of the procedure we use to remove the testicle and examine the tissue. If it is cancerous, follow up with scheduled cycles of chemo or radiotherapy is the next step. Recovery rate is as high as 99%. Great odds, indeed.”

 

“Doctor Sloan, I got to be honest with you. You see, I am not exactly gung-ho about removing a part of myself that I’m somewhat attached to. So, after you have removed my ball and determine that I’m cancer-free, do you replace it back where it came from?”

 

“No, Mr. Kinney I’m afraid that is not possible.”

 

While we were conversing, the good ole doc placed an ornately carved box on the surface of his shiny desk. It looked like it should contain an array of Godiva chocolates. Instead, it held a variety of oval silicon filled prostheses. Seriously? Replacement balls! What will they think of next? Doc assured me that he would choose one that matched my remaining ball as closely as possible. He encouraged me to pick one up and examine how realistic it felt. Not!

 

“One more thing, Doctor. What if I elect to not have the surgery?”

 

Dr. Sloan leaned back in his plush leather chair and squeezed the bridge of his nose. “If you decide to refuse the treatment you are taking your life into your own hands. If the biopsy is positive, and depending on the aggressiveness of the cancer, it can and will eventually spread throughout your entire body. Your vital organs will be compromised, and you will die, Mr. Kinney.”  

 

He told me to take a couple days to think about it and to schedule an appointment sooner rather than later.

 

“First of all, boy and girls, I don’t know if I have cancer or not. I’ve been poked, prodded, and had enough blood drawn to feed a vampire coven. My oncologist won’t know anything definite until I have gone under the knife.

 

I’ve done my research and the procedure is called an orchiectomy. My ball will be excised and biopsied, and it is no big deal. Snip, scoop, and stitch under general anesthesia and I’m in and out in less than an hour.

 

The pain and the swelling at the incision site is usually mild. I expect to return to work no later than Friday morning. After all, it is a simple short procedure with minimal side effects and downtime. I’m trying to stay positive and hopeful that the growth will be benign and that undergoing the orchiectomy would be the end of my glitch.

 

Doctors are not certain what causes testicular cancer but they have gotten pretty good at treating the disease especially if it is caught early. As far as cancers go, it is one of the more rare types. Testicular cancer seems to affect males between the ages of 15 – 35 years old.

 

Treatment can be in the form of Radiation or Chemo. So, I guess it’s a toss-up between being fried to a crisp or poisoned through a drip IV. During the course of treatment, a patient can expect intense nausea, dizzy spells, chills, fever, and hair loss. Good times.

 

 So, Ladies and Gent, the floor is open for questions, concerns, and comments for the next fifteen minutes. What else would you three like to know?”

 

Brian walked over to the cart and refilled his drink.

 

The three young people stared at Brian and then at each other.

 

Justin’s face was bone white because he hated hospitals with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. But in order to support his partner, he would rent a room in one if necessary.

Daphne was also frightened because as a college student majoring in the medical field, she knew the obstacles that would be littering Brian’s path if he had contracted cancer.

 

Bree was terrified of losing the father she was just beginning to know and love. She was having flashbacks of the days and weeks of not knowing if her dad Tony was going to make it when he was hospitalized a year ago.

 

They all decided to let Brian off the hook. He had shared way more than they thought he would.

 

“Uh Brian, we’re all good for now. Besides, until you get the procedure done next week and are notified with the results there’s not a whole lot more to discuss, anyway. Bree and I are exhausted so we are going to head back to our place. I have to work tomorrow so, I probably won’t see you until you return to the Pitts. I want you to know you’ll be in my thoughts, and I’ll be praying that the biopsy results give you a clean bill of health. Give me a hug, Big Guy.”

 

“Love you, Daddy B. and I’ll be waiting for you and Taylor to pick me up when you guys are ready to leave for the airport Sunday afternoon. I have already arranged for a car to get us there so don’t worry yourself about that.”  Bree hugged Brian and whispered in his ear, “I know you got this and don’t need us around to babysit you, but wild horses couldn’t keep me and Taylor away. Goodnight.”

 

 Justin walked Bree and Daphne out to the elevator. “Guys, text me when you get home. It’s late and we’re both drained so Brian and I are turning in. Good night.”

 

Justin locked up the loft and typed in the alarm code.

 

Brian looks calmer and more at ease already. Confession, like chicken soup, is good for the soul. I wonder if I can get Debbie’s recipe without her giving me the third degree. That woman is like the Terminator when she wants to know what’s going on with any and all members of our dysfunctional little family.

 

 “Bri, let’s put all this stuff on the back burner for now. All I want is for you to take me to bed.”

 

“Sounds like a plan especially because there’s no telling when I’ll feel up to fucking your brains out again, Sunshine.”

 

Justin was already breathing fast when he wrapped his legs around Brian’s strong slim body. He kissed his lover and touched the golden skin reverently.

 

Brian licked Justin’s lips gently with his tongue and then plunged inside to explore the sweet warm mouth completely. Brian covered the younger man with his warm body and reached for a condom and lube on the nightstand, “Here you go Sunshine, slip it on me.”

 

Justin wriggled and moaned sensuously when he felt the lube covered fingers at the entrance of his body. After a few minutes he moaned, “Bri, I need more. Please.”

 

Brian slowly eased his way into the youth and waited until Justin pushed back to let him know it was time. They rocked back and forth until they were a panting, sweating, and writhing tangle of arms and legs. You couldn’t tell where one man began and the other man ended.

 

Brian tied off the condom and tossed it in the direction of the trash can after they came screaming each other’s name. Justin clutched Brian in his arms and whispered in his partner’s ear. “More, Bri, I want more…”

 

“As you wish, Sunshine.”
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

Monday morning…BOSTON ONCOLOGY CENTER

Justin and Bree gave Brian hugs and kisses and assured him that they would be there when he was in his room after leaving Recovery. Two burly orderlies wheeled Brian away down a long hall to the elevator.

 

The OR was sterile, pristine, and cold. “God, I hate hospitals. The noises, lack of privacy, and the smell of antiseptic are making my dick soft. This place sucks.”

 

A cute male nurse skipped into the theatre and gave Brian a saucy smile. “Mr. Kinney, we are going to shave you now. Is that okay?”

 

“Just call me Brian. My father was Mr. Kinney. You are going to be up close and personal with my balls so we don’t have to stand on ceremony here. Listen, is there any way you can leave me a landing strip or something so that the tricks will realize I am a grown man and not a chicken?"

 

You’re so funny, Brian. But sorry, no can do. It has all got to go in order for your surgeon to see what he’s doing. I sure wouldn’t want to hear, ‘oops, my bad, when someone is holding a scalpel anywhere near my nads. Just saying.”

 

The nurse shaved Brian’s pubes until his entire groin area was as bare as an egg.

 

Fifteen minutes later the anesthesiologist walked in and prepped Brian to put him under.

 

“Mr. Kinney, I’m ready if you are, so let’s do this. I will place this mask over your face and then I need for you to count backward from 100 if you will.”

 

Brian shivered, took a deep breath, and closed his eyes, “99, 98, 97…”

 

And then he knew nothing more.

 

ONE HOUR LATER…

“Yes girlfriend, I know just what you’re talking about. I would kill for a plate of that Greek salad. Olives, red onions, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and those yummy beans. You know, the ones with that funny name.”

 

Cecilia, I can throw one together for our lunch tomorrow. I just can’t remember the name of those delicious beans either.  I’ll have to call my mom for a list of all the ingredients. But the name of the bean is right on the tip of my tongue. It’s driving me crazy.”

 

‘Where am I?’

I feel like I‘m underwater no, it’s more like trying to see when it’s foggy or overcast. Are my eyes even open? I am so thirsty and I hurt all over. This isn’t the loft. It smells too clean to be the back room. What is that beeping noise? Okay, yeah. I’m in the hospital. And what are those women babbling about? They’re going on and on about some stupid dish when I’m lying here paralyzed. Silly twats!

 

“Hold on Donna, let me think for a second. I know they’re not called kidney, lima, or navy beans…maybe they’re fava beans?”

 

“They’re called garbanzo beans,” Brian groaned in a completely pissed off tone of voice. “Garbanzo or chickpeas go into Greek salads. Now can one of you lovely nurses get me a drink of water before I die of thirst?”

 

“Yes, that’s right, Garbanzo beans. Thank you, Mr. Kinney, and welcome back. We had no idea you were awake because you were lying there so quiet and still. Let me get you some ice chips. How do you feel? As soon as we get you settled, your family can visit you in your private room and Dr. Swanson will speak with you about what to expect after your procedure.”

 

“Fine,” Brian grunted and drifted back off to sleep. When he awoke, he saw Bree curled up in a recliner in the corner of his room and Justin was sitting beside his bed with their hands clasped together.

 

“Mr. Kinney, I’m pleased to see you’re awake. I’m your nurse Ariel, and I hate to disturb you but I need to take your vitals. Dr. Swanson is on the way to examine your incision and speak with you.”

 

JUSTIN’S  POV

When I saw Brian lying in that bed, he seemed so…I don’t know…mortal? Without the armor of his designer clothes, the swagger, the aura of sex, he was just another person on the cancer patient floor. I wasn’t seeing the Stud of Liberty Avenue or the King of Kinnetik. Lying under those white sheets, was a man who was sick and no longer large and in charge.

 

He was just as good looking as the night I first laid eyes on his classic features despite the strain and stress of what he was dealing with. He was simply a guy trying to get a handle on the pain and suffering his body was being subjected to. He was just like everyone else in this ward…vulnerable and human.

 

I just can’t believe we are here in this place, this situation, this circle of hell. It was less than a week ago when I left for LA and he seemed fit as a fiddle. A little distant but his usual suave, debonair, and urbane self. Now we are waiting to learn if he’s facing the possibility of complications or infection from the removal of his testicle. Not to mention what the effect of weeks of chemotherapy will do to his mind and body if his results are positive.

 

This is all so surreal. Maybe all this drama is the result of a bad batch of goodies cooked up in Anita’s bathtub.  Maybe if I pinch myself, I’ll wake up. We’ll both be home in the loft under cool crisp 1000 count Egyptian cotton sheets in each other’s arms.

 

But I know that this is the real world. I want to scream and cry and lash out at everyone and everything. But like I told the girls somehow, someway I have to find the strength to not fall apart. Brian is counting on me to hold it together even if he doesn’t know it and wouldn’t admit it if he did.

 

Dr. Swanson greeted the three of us in a warm but professional manner. After he examined Brian, the nurse called Bree and me back into the room.

 

“I know you’re experiencing some pain and discomfort, Mr. Kinney. We will give you some palliative relief shortly. I see that there are redness and some swelling at the incision site but that is normal and to be expected. I will continue to check on you for the next couple days to ensure that there is no infection developing.

 

Your biopsy and other lab work have already been forwarded for testing. Rest assured that I will report back to you as soon as the results are posted. At that time, we will discuss your treatment regimen.

 

The next afternoon…

“Brian, the results were as we suspected all along.” Dr. Swanson cleared his throat and gave the three of us a small empathetic smile. “However, the good news is we caught this early.

 

To recap, the chemo will make you exceedingly ill. The side effects can be debilitating and they include exhaustion, nausea, hair loss, dizzy spells, loss of appetite, and there will probably be sexual side effects that linger on for an unforeseeable period of time after your treatment has been concluded. Do you or your family members have any questions for me at this time?”

 

Brian simply shook his head and said that he would contact the doctor if he required more information.

 

“Mr. Kinney, I can tell that you are used to being independent and strong. However, I suggest you curtail your desire to get on with your life and allow yourself to heal properly. You have family that cares for you and want you back in tip-top condition. Allow them to help you help yourself. If everything goes well, we will spring you in the morning. Let’s go over your proposed treatment plan for the next six weeks, shall we?”

 

Before Dr. Sloan bid us good afternoon a nurse attached a pouch of medication to the IV pole for Brian.

 

Bree sat the cup of ice chips on the tray next to Brian’s bed. “Daddy B, we are going to let you rest for a bit. Is there anything I can do for you before Taylor and I go down to the cafeteria?”

 

“Thanks, Bree’ahna, but I’m good for now.”

 

“Brian, I want you to listen to your doctor. I know your world is reeling, you're hurting, and may even be scared. That’s okay and you know I understand. But we will get through this. Remember what we agreed on in the loft. We…Bree, Daph, and I… are here for you. We are going to get you home and back on your feet enough for you to begin the chemo cycles. You are going to feel worse before you feel better. Let’s accept that and deal with it. I’ll be with you every step of the way. That’s what partners are for." 

 

So, hold it together I will because this is not about me. For Brian, the hits just kept on coming. Even though we had all hoped for the best and prepared ourselves mentally for the worse, it was still hard to accept. Dr. Swanson’s verdict the day after the surgery. Brian has been diagnosed with a seminoma tumor and would begin chemo in seven days.

 

THURSDAY AFTERNOON AT BRIAN’S LOFT

Daphne had spent the entire afternoon at the loft, cleaning and stocking the pantry and fridge for Brian so that he would have everything he needed during his recuperation period.

 

‘Justin, Bree, and I will definitely have our work cut out for us. Last night when we held our evening powwow over the phone, Justin kept repeating that if any of us were unaware that a sick Brian wasn’t going to be a bear, we need to stop deluding ourselves.

 

As if we were unaware that Brian Kinney could try the patience of a saint. It was going to be an uphill battle trying to do what needed to be done to help him recover. I can hear him now…do not touch me, I’m fine, I don’t need any help, I’m not hungry, thirsty, sleepy etc. And this is before the cycles of chemo.

 

He doesn’t realize how sick he’s going to be during chemo. And when the weight starts dropping off his already skinny body and his hair starts falling out, I shudder to think of his reactions. Maybe he’ll be too sick to care how awful he’ll look. Uh, yeah right. We’re talking about Brian Kinney whose ego is bigger than the loft he holds court in.

 

I think I hear them getting out of the elevator. Like Justin always says, ‘break a leg, Guys.’ It’s show time.

 

T B C

End Notes:

I did lots of research on testicular cancer. Here is one of the sites I spent time on:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/testicular-cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20352991

 

To all of the readers who are still enjoying my story, thank you. I appreciate the reviews, comments, and suggestions. 

Chapter 16 IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Team Brian circles the wagons and girds their loins.

”How did it go, Jus? Did Brian get enough rest today?”

 

“Actually Daph, he was in good spirits and admitted that he wasn’t nearly as sore as he was when he came home three days ago. The afternoon we got him home, I know he was in some serious pain because he let me help him to bed, took a couple of pills, and was out like a light.

 

Thanks again for everything you did, Daph. The place looked great and I appreciated it so much that you took the time to stock up everything we needed for the week.  I was dreading the thought of leaving Brian in order to go shopping that evening.” 

 

“It’s called stepping up, buddy. No thanks are needed.”

 

“I could tell the flight home took a lot out of Daddy B. The man looked like he was on his last legs. We tried to get him to chill another day at the hotel in Boston but he was determined to get back to the Pitts because he says he has work to do. He’s so stubborn. I’m sure Miss Cynthia and Ted were holding things down at Kinnetik but no, he was not trying to hear that.”

 

“Thank goodness, that Brian has been kind of out of it on account of the pain, stress, and exhaustion he’s been subjected to. Otherwise, there is no way you and Bree would have been able to convince him to stay here in the loft. I’m glad he put that thought out of his head about going back to work. He was insistent on seeing for himself that his business is still intact. You would think that Kinnetik is on the verge of collapse and bankruptcy. 

 

“Guys, we are going to work out some kind of schedule for tending to our patient. Brian has been pretty quiet so far but he will start getting prickly, ornery, and vocal if he feels that we are doing too much for him. He is going to feel like we are hovering if we don’t give him his space. I don’t think he has gotten it through his head that he isn’t going to bounce back overnight. But when it does, he’s going to show his true colors while he puts all of us through our paces.

 

The trick to dealing with Brian is getting him to believe that your idea was really s his idea from the start. He’s not going to ask for help and I can guarantee you that he is going to resent the help when offered. He’d rather suffer in silence instead of taking the risk of appearing weak. Remember, where Brian is concerned, less is more.

 

Don’t hesitate to flip the script on him. Pretend not to notice if he’s having a bad day because his bark is worse than his bite. Just continue to do what needs to be done and ignore it. Puppy dog eyes do work on him, so don’t be too proud to resort to any and all underhanded tactics you have at your disposal to ensure his cooperation. It’s for his own good.

 

We have one job, guys. By any means necessary, we get Brian through chemo and to the other side in one piece. And may God have mercy on our souls.”

 

“Amen, Taylor.”

 

“Ditto, Jus.”

 

 Brian’s POV

Once again, Twink and Company are chirping away like a bunch of sparrows and I can’t make out a word they’re saying. And I am almost too sick to care. It doesn’t take a degree in rocket science to figure out that they’re discussing me and what they are planning to do in order to run my life during the quest to return me to health.

 

I may not have been paying attention as closely as I should at the time when my doctor would pop in during his rounds.  But I do remember being warned that my regimen of chemo will be aggressive. The side effects of the drugs are notorious for causing hair loss, exhaustion, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness I can deal with all of those. However, the duration of the inevitable sexual issues is what I’m having trouble wrapping my head around. Can it get any worse?

 

Well let’s review, shall we? Apparently, I’ll need to avoid being around people with colds or infections because my system will be compromised and weakened by the chemo.

 

Oh yeah, according to the reams of notes, brochures, and pamphlets I left the oncology center with, the treatment of my condition can be hazardous to the health of my caregivers.  The medication stays in my system for 48 hours after the treatment and because it is a poison, it can harm healthy people in the household. Flushing the toilet twice to ensure my body fluids are disposed of properly is a must.

 

Because of the fact that I’ll be as contagious as Typhoid Mary, this will put extra work on the guys. Caregivers should wear rubber gloves while cleaning up, handling the trash, or doing laundry of the patient. Who in their right mind volunteers to sign up for a tour of duty like this? Are those kids a bunch of masochists or do they just feel sorry for poor diseased Brian Kinney, the one-balled wonder? For who knows how long, chemo like pity, will be another one of those things that makes my dick soft.

 

Chemo: day one

Justin did not let go of Brian’s cold hand until the nurse called his partner to the desk and directed the man to the treatment area. “I’ll see you this afternoon, Bri. Call me and let me know how it goes when you get to your office.”

 

Brian didn’t really feel any ill effects during or after his treatment. At the conclusion, he confirmed the next appointment, called a taxi and left the doctor’s office en route to Kinnetik. He went on to work and things went well for about an hour or so. Gradually he was beset with an overwhelming feeling of exhaustion and queasiness.

 

‘I can do this, it’s not so bad. If I say it twenty more times, I just may convince myself that I’m fine.’

 

 One hour later, Brian was barely able to leave his desk chair and make it across the room to sprawl awkwardly on the sofa.

 

“What the hell, Brian?” Cynthia yanked away the Prada jacket that Brian had been using as a blanket and shook out the wrinkles. “The client will be here for your pitch in twenty minutes and here you are curled up in the fetal position and sleeping off last night’s bender. 

 

I am so pissed at you right now, Mister. Seriously, we worked too hard on this account for you to trash. And another thing, for someone who’s been tanning his bare ass on the beach of sunny Ibiza for the last several days, you look like crap!”

 

“Well Cyn, it rained the entire week, so sue me.”

 

“Whatever! For God’s sake, Kinney. I need for you to go visit your little powder room, freshen up, and get your act together. Jesus!”

 

The glare on Cynthia’s face morphed into an expression of alarm as Brian’s face took on a sickly shade of green and his hand flew up to cover his mouth. He practically pushed the startled woman out of the way as he stumbled painfully to his restroom.

 

The sounds of retching, moaning, and flushing alternated until the shaken man returned and flopped back down on the sofa.

 

Cynthia poured Brian a glass of water and placed several wet paper towels on his forehead. “Brian, are you going to be okay?”

 

“Cyn, go find Theodore and tell him to get his ass in here, pronto. There is a situation we three need to discuss.”

 

“Excuse me!” He staggered to his feet and lurched to the restroom again.

 

 ‘I thought I could keep this under wraps but there is no way. This is the first day and I’m drained. I look like death warmed over. I can’t deal with this today.’

 

 Ted knocked and walked into Brian’s office with Cynthia following closely on his heels.

 

“Brian, welcome back. You look like something the cat dragged in. What’s going on? Cynthia says you called an impromptu meeting.”

 

“I’m going to cut to the chase, people. I’ve got the big C.”

 

 Cynthia gave him the side-eye. “Chlamydia? Really, Brian?”

 

Ted shook his head and whispered sympathetically, “Is it the Clap? That’s an easy one to fix, Big Guy.”

 

Brian squeezed his eyes shut.  “Wrong. It’s bigger.”

 

Ted sucked in a deep breath and gripped Brian’s forearm. “Brian, you can tell me and no I won’t judge you because I’ve been there. Just spit it out, is it crystal?”

 

Brian rolled his eyes at his CFO. “Are you kidding me, Theodore? It’s cancer.”

 

 “Brian, that is not funny and shame on you! Two of my cousins died from cancer.”

 

“I know that Cyn and there is no smile on my face because I’m not laughing. I was given my first round of chemo this morning for testicular cancer. Last week I had surgery at the Boston Oncology Center and after that, I returned to the Pitts. I was at home in the loft recuperating and getting ready for my first date with chemo ever since I returned. The shores of sunny Ibiza have not been graced with the presence of Brian A. Kinney’s pale and pasty but still smokin’ hot ass.”

 

“Oh my God, no Brian. But why didn’t you say anything? Why would you keep something like that to yourself? Never mind, you and I will discuss that another time. I promise you.” Cynthia swallowed and reached for a legal pad. “Tell us what you need so that we are able to assist you.”

 

“You two are going to have to cover for me starting today. Theodore, you and Cynthia will handle the presentation when the client arrives. Both of you know it in your sleep so don’t screw up or I will have both of your jobs and your balls.

 

For the next four weeks, I am scheduled for cycles of chemo. I will be leaving here each afternoon in order to do my treatments. My agenda for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday is to allow myself to be injected with a substance that poisons me while it heals me. Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday are my reprieve days.

 

I have a laundry list of side effects to look forward to. Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, vertigo, brain fog, and the possibility of kidney damage, just to name a few. Sometimes I may be able to return after the chemo, it depends on how I feel. But make no mistake, I still intend to have my finger on the pulse of this business.”

 

 “Brian, we won’t let you down and don’t you dare worry about what is going on here at Kinnetik. You just need to concentrate on your health. Most of the employees are good at their jobs and we will keep this place afloat. We will keep you posted.”

 

“Listen to Cynthia, Brian. Rest assured that it goes without saying that you expect us to keep your condition completely confidential. Does anyone else know what is going on?”

 

“Daphne is the little birdie who let the cat out of the bag. Justin and Bree’ahna were with me in Boston. So other than you two, they have clearance where I’m concerned. I may be relaying info through any one of those twats from time to time. Cyn, would you toss those files on my desk and my laptop into my briefcase? I’ll review them later this afternoon.

 

Call me a cab, Theodore. I need to go home because I feel as if I’m about to keel over. Christ! I hate it when Justin is right. I should have listened to the brat and gone straight home this morning.”

 

Chemo week two…Brian’s loft

Daphne my love, as we all know, I’m a vain, amoral, and narcissistic bastard. I’ll own it, okay? But please humor me and my diseased carcass, if you would? Have Justin find some tablecloths, sheets, a tarp, or construction paper…I don’t care…and cover every mirror and reflective surface in this loft.

 

I thought I was being proactive by allowing that barber to shave my hair down to an inch of stubble. I thought it would help alleviate some of the trauma and drama to come when I begin leaving chunks of hair in my brush, on my pillow, and in the shower every morning. I never knew my head had such a weird shape to it because it was always hidden by my hair. What was I thinking? I look like…like…

 

Daphne patted Brian’s thin back and shoulder blades. “Like a cancer survivor who chose to fight back instead of laying down? Just breathe and try not to queen out, Brian. You know that this is only a temporary setback. After the treatments are done, your hair will grow back as gorgeous as it ever was. Just try to keep your chin up because this will be over before you know it. Besides, I don’t care what you think you see in the mirror, you’re still the face of God to that hot blond guy who shares your bed.”

 

“Yeah Daddy B, you’re still all that and a bowl of chips! Now please do me a huge favor and try to eat a couple more bites of that pretty salad I slaved over just for you. You’re having a good day so far because you only tossed your cookies once. You need to try to take in more calories in order to keep your strength up. If you keep losing weight, two things are going to happen:

 

Number 1. Your head will begin to look way too big for your body. And number 2. Daphne and I will start feeling insecure when your waistline becomes smaller than ours.”

 

“Bri, I have an errand to run and Daph and Bree are going to pick up some groceries while you try to sleep a bit. Is there anything you want us to grab for you? What about those fruit pops you’ve been craving?”

 

“Sounds good. Oh yeah Sunshine, would you remind the ladies to grab a couple of hot tricks that may be hanging out in the produce aisle? I’d be grateful.”

 

“La, la, la, we can’t hear you. Later Stud, and get some rest.”

 

TWO HOURS LATER…

“Hey Bri, we made it back. Do you feel like coming out to the kitchen for a moment? We want to show you what we bought and get your opinion.”

 

“Be right there. Is there any more ginger ale in the fridge?” Brian walked slowly down the bedroom stairs and stopped in his tracks.

 

The trio struck bodybuilder poses while wearing identical t-shirts with the words TEAM BRIAN emblazoned on the front.

 

“We got a T-shirt for you too, Brian. Sorry, it’s not Prada or Armani. But if we say pretty please with cherries on top, would you consider lowering your standards and wearing it once before you recycle it into a dust rag? It would mean soooo much to me if you would make a liar out of Justin.”

 

Brian covered his mouth and looked from one beaming face to another. “You bunch of crazy twats, what in the world were you thinking when you decided to treat yourselves to buzz cuts? Don’t tell me, let me guess. Good ole Sunshine here recruited you two to join his old vigilante group, The Pink Posse.”

 

“Haha, Kinney. It’s a pixie cut, you cretin. Shame on you for mocking us for sacrificing our crowning glory in a show of solidarity and support for everyone who is battling this horrible disease. We decided to donate our luxurious tresses to a worthy cause. It’s called LOCKS OF LOVE and Pantene products is one of their sponsors so we were pretty sure the organization is legit.”

 

“Do you think we look weird? It’s only hair and it will grow back. You’re so funny, Daddy B. Did Taylor really go gangsta back in the day? I got to hear that story one of these days. Anyway, today is the first official meeting of TEAM BRIAN. Oh and guess what? We had baseball caps made up too. Aren’t they just too cool?

 

Now don’t worry, everyone’s first names are printed on the back of their shirts and hats. That was my idea, by the way. So, you should have no problem with telling the three of us apart because we all look sooooo much alike. Wink, wink, and you’re welcome. Now get over here and give us some love. Come on Daddy B, you know you want to.”

 

Brian gathered the young people in his arms and dropped kisses on all three shorn heads. His eyes were glossy from the tears he was holding back.

 

 “You guys do look almost as hot as yours truly. What am I going to do with you bunch of crazy kids? Matching tees and baseball caps, indeed. But don’t get it twisted, I draw the line at matching Vera Wangs. If I’m not careful, you guys will turn me into a flannel-wearing lesbian. Sunshine will need therapy if I go over to the dark side and lose the desire and/or inclination to meet his needs.”

 

Chemo week three:  Brian’s loft

“Now, listen to me, Bree’ahna. Are you listening?”

 

“Yes, Briiiiaaaaan, I hear you loud and clear. Just like I heard you the first three times.”

 

“Well then, what part of no do you not understand? Now I’m going to say this one more time, I will not allow you to give me a sponge bath. I know I reek but my head is spinning and there’s no way I’ll make it from this sofa to the bathroom without barfing and falling on my face. So my only suggestion to you is to leave the loft or stay downwind.”

 

“Daddy B, you and I both know I’m strong as an ox and that I can give you a hand. But you don’t want me to and I know why because it’s a man thing. Have you forgotten that Taylor won’t be home for at least a couple of hours to help you out?

 

I could just wait until Daphne gets here because she’s great at shaming and bullying you into submission. But, she has classes back to back today. And I doubt if either of us can stand your stench much longer. I can hear you rolling your eyes behind my back, you know. If you’re not careful your face will stay that way, young man.

 

What’s the deal with you, anyway? Are you feeling shy all of a sudden? Is that the reason you’re digging in your heels and giving me a hard time over something we both know you want and need? Word on the street says that half of the gay population here in the Pitts can I.D. Brian Kinney’s naked backside in the dark with one eye shut.

 

May I remind you that I know what guys look like underneath their clothes? And you may disagree with me but, there’s nothing new under the sun. In my opinion, if you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all. I’m just saying!

 

Your virtue is safe with me and I promise to stay above the belt, Daddy B. You can handle that part of your anatomy on your own, okay? I’ll even close my eyes and turn my back to preserve the one-eightieth of a teaspoon of the modesty that was bestowed on you the day you were born. Will you try to trust me?”

 

Brian leaned his head back and sighed. “You nagging little shrew! I pity the poor sap who marries you because he’ll be hen-pecked to death before the honeymoon is over. Fine! ‘Resistance is futile and overrated.’ Please use my imported sandalwood vanilla musk body wash in the water. That generic crap Justin buys makes my skin itch.”

 

“I took care of that already, Daddy B because I knew you would cave eventually. Now, lift your arms so we can get this tee off you. It’s dripping wet and yes sir, you are totally ripe. But after we’re done you’ll feel and smell so much better, I kid you not.”

 

Thirty minutes later…

“Now there you go! You’re as fresh as a daisy so I guess you can have your hot stud status back. Was that so painful? Taylor is going to want to climb you like a tree.”

 

“I keep telling the kid he can do better. He’s not even old enough to drink. Why does he want a sick old geezer for a partner?”

 

“Hold it right there, Mister. Nobody disses my Daddy B like that unless they want problems from me. Taylor is crazy about you and that’s all that matters. Why don’t you stretch out on the sofa and rest your eyes for a bit while I put all this stuff away?

 

Great, my hands are full and I think I hear someone at the door. I hope it not your best bud again. Maybe Taylor got off early and…”

 

“Hello, young lady. I’m Jennifer Taylor, Justin’s mom. You must be Bree and my son did not exaggerate because you are truly lovely, my dear. Would you mind going downstairs and assisting Justin with the produce we just purchased? I need to have a word with your father.”

TBC

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Locks of Love is a charity organization that purchases and provides hair replacement systems and wigs to low-income children free of charge.   https://locksoflove.org/about/

 

 

 

Chemo complications

 

https://www.healthline.com/health/cancer/effects-on-body

 

 I appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, and reviews. Thank you for reading.

Chapter 17 MAMA KNOWS BEST by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

"God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers." Rudyard Kipling

 

Jennifer’s POV

“Mrs. Taylor, it is nice to meet you at last. I’m not trying to be rude but my dad is resting right now. You know Brian Kinney, he works hard so that he can play harder and all that.”

 

“Sweetie, trust me, I do know Brian but I just need some confirmation on a delicate subject matter. Justin is waiting for you downstairs at the elevator so please, give me a moment alone with your dad.”

 

“Bree’ahna, Mother Taylor doesn’t bite. However, she is a card-carrying member of the WASP collective.  As long as she has no desire to sting me to death, I’m absolutely certain that I’ll be perfectly fine by the time you get back upstairs. It’s okay for you to go give Sunshine a hand.”

 

The girl nodded and slipped out of the door taking the stairs two at a time.

 

I couldn’t help myself. “Brian, Oh my God! It’s true. I was hoping that Justin was wrong.” He was thin as a rail, pale, shaky, and weak as a newborn kitten.

 

“Forgive me if I don’t get up because as you can see, I am not feeling 100% today. Oh, and please excuse the mess. Bree’ahna kept insisting that I had reached the point of no return where a ‘hoe bath’ was better than no bath at all. That girl is as tenacious as your son when it comes to getting her own way. Pardon me for being blunt but, what brings you to my humble abode on this fine day? I’m afraid that Debbie is becoming a bad influence on you, Mother Taylor. Doesn’t WASP 101 teach that it is bad form to drop in without calling first anymore?”

 

“Debbie, like most good moms, have eyes in the backs of their heads, are psychic, and can sense when their children are in danger or in pain. Extreme circumstances allow said mothers to waive, disregard, and ignore all the rules, protocol, and the wishes of someone who has more than his fair share of hubris. She gave me a heads up to check on Justin because he appeared to be stressed and not acting like himself and she was worried about you as well. And as we are both aware, Debbie was not incorrect at all.”

 

Earlier that afternoon…

When Debbie Novatny called me earlier today I thought she was contacting me about serving on another committee for the GLC. Instead, she expressed concern about Justin. I have spoken to Justin several times after his aborted trip to LA but I had not actually seen him in person for more than two weeks. He was home, safe, and happy and everything appeared to be going well in his life.

 

Debbie insisted that Justin was dragging physically when he came by the diner to grab some lunch and some lemon bars for Brian. She said Justin yawned the entire time he sat at the counter while he was waiting for his order. Debbie thought it was odd that Justin and Brian had been making themselves scarce for the past couple weeks but before she could interrogate him, Justin told her that I was expecting him and hightailed it out of the diner.

 

While it was true that I was expecting Justin this afternoon, it is not as if we had made an appointment to meet. He was coming by to pick up his passport from me. He mentioned several weeks ago that Brian was treating him, and the girls to a trip to Ibiza but something came up and the trip was postponed until the fall season.

 

Jennifer honey, I know Sunshine is a grown man and did just fine for himself the entire six months he lived in Hollywood, but I feel he’s hiding something and it has to do with Brian. La Kinney is to all intents and purposes off the grid and no one knows why. According to my Michael, Brian has taken business trips several times during the past couple weeks.

 

But he also said that Justin and Ted are all mum’s the word whenever Brian’s name comes up. When you talk to your son you’ll understand exactly what I’m trying to say to you. Please understand that I’m not being a busybody or a drama queen. I am a concerned mother and I worry about all my boys. Please try to see if you can get to the bottom of this mystery for me because I’m losing my mind.”

 

When Justin arrived I had to admit that for once Debbie wasn’t exaggerating. Justin looked worn out, worried, anxious, and stressed. I almost passed out when he removed the baseball cap and I saw that he had shaved off all of his beautiful blonde hair. He said he wanted a new look and was in a bit of a hurry so I left the room to locate his passport. I was only gone a few minutes but when I returned, he was fast asleep.

 

A bag from the local pharmacy slipped from his hand and the contents… chewing gum, peppermints, ginger candy, and two amber Rx bottles…spilled out and rolled across the floor. I assumed the bottles contained the meds Justin takes for migraines, allergies, and muscle spasms. However, to my surprise, the labels were in Brian’s name and one was for a drug named Zofran.”

 

I felt so uneasy and frightening thoughts were bombarding my brain. Justin was asleep for over thirty minutes when he awoke with a start and jumped to his feet.

 

“Sorry, Mom. I woke up really early this morning and I’m totally exhausted.”  

 

“Justin, I’m a bit worried because you appear to be thinner than you were and the extreme haircut is a bit unsettling. I haven’t seen your hair cut that low in forever. You sat down and dozed off in the middle of a sentence and you have been asleep for nearly an hour. Is everything okay with you? Are things going well between you and Brian? I haven’t seen him at all recently.”

 

“I’m okay, Mom. Did you find my passport? I need to get back to the loft and I do wish you wouldn’t have let me sleep so long.”

 

“Justin, hold on a moment because I really need to speak with you. While you were resting, your package fell and the contents went everywhere. I have to ask and I would appreciate an honest answer from you. Why has Brian been prescribed such a high dosage of Zofran?”

 

His eyes shifted and he looked away. “Mom, I’ve told you on a number of occasions that Brian is a picky eater and he has always had a delicate stomach. He hasn’t been feeling good for a while now and neither of us have been sleeping well. The pharmacist assured us that the prescription should help him feel better soon.”

 

“Justin, did you forget I volunteered for nearly a year at a nursing home when Molly entered preschool? What is going on? I know you like the back of my hand, Justin. I know you don’t remember this but, when the doctor said to take deep breaths and try to push a little harder, he was talking to me. What are you trying to hide from me?”

 

I knew it was going to be bad when his blue eyes filled with tears and the bottom lip began to tremble.

 

“Mom, I promised I would not say anything about this to anyone.”

 

“Okay Justin, just nod for yes or shake your head for no. Ondansetron is the generic name for the drug Zofran which is used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy and other surgeries. Are you trying not to tell me that  the reason this medication has been prescribed for Brian is because he has been diagnosed with cancer?”

 

His face crumbled and turned red. “Mom, he’s so sick and we’re all so scared. And he wasn’t even going to tell me. Daph found out and that’s why Bree and I flew back home a couple days after I went out to LA. Brian made us promise and swear to not breathe a word to anyone in the family. He wasn’t going to tell anyone that he contracted testicular cancer and that arrangements were already made for him to be hospitalized for a biopsy. His lab results were positive so the next step was to get Brian scheduled for rounds of chemo a week later.

 

I’m so scared for him because this is the beginning of the third week and he still has another to go. Mom, he’s practically skin and bones because he can’t keep anything down. He’s tired of chicken soup, and ginger ale, and the nausea, and throwing up every day and night. I try to help him as much as he will allow.

 

Daph and Bree pitch in and do what needs to be done. The other day Brian passed out as he was leaving the oncology center. His doctor says the possibility of anemia can be another complication that will need to be monitored closely. Mom, this whole reality is so bizarre and surreal. All I want is for Brian to feel better and recover from all this.”

 

“Honey, it is horrible to think of Brian having to go through this. You and the girls are so brave to step up and be there for him. Go splash some water on your face and get yourself together so that you can fill me in on everything. Then we will put our heads together and see what more can be done to get Brian back to himself again.”

************************************************************************

“Yes Brian, my son did let the cat out of the bag but, please don’t be angry at Justin for not keeping his word. It was through a series of random events that he was forced to reveal your situation to me. I am here to offer my assistance and being the gentlemen that you are, I am certain that you will not offend me by behaving in a rude dismissive manner to your partner’s mother.”

 

“Mother Taylor believe me, I would never think of it. Contrary to public opinion, I was not raised in a barn and I do have some manners.”

 

Justin and Bree entered the loft and began to silently unpack the grocery bags.

 

“Brian, Justin and I looked up some natural remedies for relieving nausea during chemo treatments. Ginger, lemon, chili peppers, peppermint, and spearmint are a few of the best ingredients. A guy at the health food store told us bland foods and coconut and sesame seed milk help suppress the body’s reaction to nausea as well. He suggested that you would do well to try to drink lots of water and get some fresh air every day.

 

I remembered a recipe for a Lemon Spice Gazpacho that contains ingredients which will help with reducing your nausea. It contains pureed apples, cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, mint, ginger, garlic, lemon, olive oil, other herbs, and spices.

 

I will oversee Bree and Justin in the preparation of the recipe.  We will make an extra-large batch and freeze it in portions so that it will be available for you when you need to eat. Justin told me how much you like jazz so we bought a lovely CD for you. Now just close your eyes and relax while I make you a cup of ginger lemon peppermint tea. You’re going to love it.”

 

30 minutes later…

Daphne walked into the loft. “Hey guys, whatever that is, it smells absolutely delish. Whew, what a day! Hey Just, I almost swallowed my tongue when I thought I saw your mom’s car parked…uh, hello Mrs. Taylor.”

 

“Good evening, Daphne. I was just telling Justin that the three of you can use a break so why not go see a movie or hang out at the mall or something. Now that I see all of you together, I feel better about Justin’s haircut. You all deserve to be commended for such an unselfish gesture.

 

I am on duty this evening and will sit with Brian until you young people return and resume your posts. You guys need to realize that sometimes Brian doesn’t need his partner, or his daughter, or a sister-friend. Sometimes he needs a mom who will tell him that everything is going to be alright. I will see you kids in a few hours.”

 

“Um, yes Ma’am, Mrs. Taylor. Are you ready Bree?”

“Mom, you really don’t have to…”

Jennifer pointed at the door and the trio filed out of the loft.

 

After the young people left, Jennifer filled the Tupperware bowls with the gazpacho and stored them away into the freezer. She cleaned up the kitchen and after she was done, joined Brian in the living room area.

 

“Mother Taylor, you were right, that gazpacho was refreshing and delicious. It hit the spot and will hopefully remain there long enough for me to attain some nutritional benefit. I really appreciate everything you’ve done this evening but you do realize that I’m a big boy and I really don’t need a sitter, right? Miss Molly is probably wondering where her female parental unit is at this hour of the evening. The littlest Taylor is probably waiting for her milk, cookies, and a bedtime story.”

 

“Molly is fine and thank you for your concern, Brian. She is having a sleepover with some friends tonight.” Jennifer sat down on the couch and patted the cushions beside her. “Honey, stop prowling around the room and conserve your strength. Have a seat, please. Did you forget what you told your gorgeous daughter? Mother Taylor doesn’t bite, I promise you.

 

Now tell me, Sweetie, do any of your friends or family know about what’s going on with you? I am pretty certain Debbie and Michael are still in the dark. She was the one to suggest I pump Justin for information because the two of you were MIA for so long.”

 

Brian shook his head. “I only told Ted and Cynthia because I needed them to cover for me and run Kinnetik until I get myself through the final cycle of chemo. I hate keeping Deb out of the loop but she would go into smother mother mode and stress me to death. Mikey would just weep and wail all day and I don’t think I can muster up the strength to talk him down from the ledge. And Emmett..aka the Mouth from the South…would have my business plastered over the front page of all the gossip rags in a New York minute.

 

Lindsay wouldn’t hesitate to move the Marcus-Peterson clan into the loft in order to hold my hand. While I wouldn’t mind hanging out here with my Sonny Boy, I draw the line at her husband, Melanie.  As for my bio family, I wouldn’t give them the pleasure of knowing what’s going on with me. You have yet to make the acquaintance of my mother, the pious St. Joan, and my hateful sibling, the Claire Witch. Between you and me, those two lovely ladies would probably tell me I got what I deserve and good riddance.”

 

“That is sad for them because it is their loss for not allowing you to have a place in their hearts and lives. As for Debbie and the rest of your adopted family, I know you will fill them in when you think it is the right time. They all love and care for you, don’t you know that?

 

I really do admire you for trying your best to be strong for Justin, the girls, yourself, and everyone else. This is such a trying time for you and it’s natural to be worried, overwhelmed, and afraid. But I know that you are going to come through this with flying because I say so. Haven’t you heard that sometimes mothers really do know best? They made a song about it so it must be true.”

 

Brian dropped his face in his hands when he felt the breath hitch in his throat. His eyes began to fill and the hot salty tears slid down his too thin cheeks.

 

Jennifer wrapped her arm about Brian. “Honey, it’s okay. Just let it all out if you need to.”

 

“I hate this…I feel so…disgusting and ugly…exhausted and so useless.”

 

Brian wrapped his arms around the slender waist and burrowed his face in Jennifer’s lap. Time passes before he realizes that his face is wet with tears that he doesn’t remember shedding and the noises that assaulted his ears were coming from his own mouth.

 

“Sorry…your dress, Mother Taylor…I’ll pay for dry cleaning…”

 

“Don’t you dare worry your head about that, Sweetheart.” Jennifer smoothed Brian’s hair, stroked the thin shoulders, and placed several Kleenex in his hand. “It doesn’t matter one bit to me. And I want you to know that you’re not disgusting or ugly, you’re ill. I forbid you to say or think such negative thoughts because they are unproductive, completely unfounded, and miles away from the truth.

 

You got to believe that you got this, Brian Kinney. Before you know it, you will be back to your preening, proud as a peacock, snarky, and debonair self. If you’re feeling a bit better, why don’t you tell me about your lovely daughter? You two look like brother and sister, did you know that? Justin has told me you had no idea Bree existed until recently.

 

I can see that you are extremely proud of her and she appears to be very protective of you. According to my son, Bree is as intelligent, resourceful, and loyal as you are. Justin says she calls you Daddy B and he is her Papa J. That is so adorable.”

TBC

 

End Notes:

 

The song Mother Knows Best, from Disney’s, Tangled helped me name this chapter. My favorite part of the scene is when the manipulative Mom Gothel reminds Rapunzel of all the dangers that await her outside of the tower: poison ivy, quicksand, cannibals, snakes, and the plague. Hilarious!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJvlsHlSpo

 

Natural Remedies for Nausea After Cancer Therapy  https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/natural-remedies-for-nausea/

Thanks again to everyone who is still reading my story. All comments, constructive criticism, and reviews are very much appreciated.

 

 

Chapter 18 FREE AT LAST by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Brian decides to come clean with other members of the family. 

“You’re home, Daddy B. Hold on a sec and I’ll help you out of the car.”

 

Bree hopped out of the driver’s seat of the jeep and ran around to the passenger door to assist Brian out of the vehicle.

 

Brian raised his head and slowly opened his bleary eyes.  “How did we get to the loft so fast, Hotrod Hannah? You must have broken every traffic law on the books.” Brian staggered to his feet and braced his back against the car’s door. “Okay, as soon as the pavement and my stomach stops heaving, we can head upstairs.”

 

Bree wrapped her arm around Brian’s thin waist as he slung an arm around her shoulders for support. “Take all the time you need, Old Man. We are not on the clock. I know all you want to do right now is crash because you feel like crap but, you really ought to give yourself a big round of applause and a pat on the back. You did it, Brian Kinney! You made it through your last day of chemo. In a few days, when you start feeling like your usual self, you’ll look back on the past four weeks as a bad dream.”

 

Bree raised the elevator door and Brian shuffled inside.

 

“I have a confession to make, Daughter. I did see light at the end of the tunnel until you pulled up in the jeep. That’s when I thought to myself, this is it so hold on to your ass, Kinney. You’ve survived a surgical procedure, a month of chemo, and daily harassment from three twats but, the ride home is what’s going to take you out.

 

Was it your grandmother who taught you how to drive stick? You probably ground all my gears to dust during that ten-minute ride home.”

 

“Ha-ha. You are so full of it because we both know that I’m a good driver.” Bree slid open the door and ushered Brian up the stairs to his bed. “Take a load off while I whip up something light for your lunch and a cup of ginger tea. If you can’t deal with food right now, it will be there when you get up.

 

I’ll give Taylor a call and let him know I got you home in one piece. Men! Oh crap! I got to run back out to the store because we are down to a crust of that dry wheat bread you live on and completely out of fruit for your smoothies. Here’s your headset so that you can rock out to that smooth jazz you love and I’m not quite feeling yet. You just chill out and sip your tea, Pops. I’ll be right.”

 

Michael’s POV

I am getting a bad feeling about what is going on with Brian. He hasn’t hung out in over a month. I’ve seen Boy Wonder hanging out at Babylon and Woody’s more often than I’ve seen Brian there. Justin claims Brian has been working overtime on a stressful situation ever since he came back from Ibiza. It doesn’t make sense that every time I call his phone during the day it goes to voicemail. When he does return my call it’s to tell me he will working late and can’t come out to play.

 

Cynthia, the gatekeeper, says she will have security cart me away if I darken Kinnetik’s door without an appointment. Every time I go by the loft Justin’s fag hag tells me Brian hired her to help out around the loft because his cleaning lady is on vacation. That so-called daughter Brian has claimed always tells me she will let Brian know I dropped by. Yeah, right!

 

So, it’s time for some answers. I saw Brian’s ‘Vette parked at Kinnetik earlier so I know he’s in town.  All I know is that I need to talk to Brian and I won’t take no for an answer. I’ll just wait a few doors down and across the street for Boy Wonder to return from his classes. He should be here within an hour or so. He’ll let me up to wait for Brian to come home and then Mr. Kinney will give me an explanation for the way he has been ignoring and avoiding me for the last few weeks.

 

One hour later…

I was just getting ready to leave when I saw Brian’s jeep pull up to the curb and…are you kidding me? That Bree person hops out and get this, she opens the door for some scrawny guy wearing a baseball cap, a hoodie, and jeans that are two sizes too big. The kid looks like he’s strung out on drugs and can barely stand up on his own two feet.

 

I can’t believe the nerve of this girl! Brian would have a fit if he knew she was bringing guys to the loft that look like thugs to rob him blind when he is away on business. She’s just a little whore but nearly the entire family thinks she hung the moon. Lindz and me are the only ones who can see that she is trying to use Brian. But he’s my best friend and that is not going to happen on my watch. I need to let someone know what’s going on. I’ll call Ted and tell him to get a message to Brian that he needs to come home and straighten her out.

 

I was holding on for someone to put me through to Ted when Brian’s nosey neighbor, Mrs. Nelson and her yappy poodle spotted me.

 

“Hello, Mitchell. I haven’t seen your face in quite some time. Have you been staying out of trouble? I just saw your friend Brian on the elevator trying to make his way up to his loft. I was shocked at how sickly and thin he has become. He looks absolutely awful and should really take better care of himself. If he wasn’t leaning on the arm of his lovely daughter, he would have ended up on the floor of that filthy elevator. Oh look, there she is now.”

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bree dash down the stairs, hopped back into Brian’s jeep, and sped off down the street.

 

“Wait, Mrs. Nelson. Are you saying that Bree just walked into the building with Brian?”

 

“Yes, dear. See you later, my Fifi wants to go for a walk. Have a nice day, Mitchell.”

 

“Mrs. Nelson, please let me in the building I have to check on Brian. I haven’t seen him in weeks.”

 

Mrs. Nelson might need to get her glasses changed. There was no way in the world that guy could have been Brian because the outfit he was wearing was something Brian wouldn’t have been caught dead in. I didn’t have time to wait for the elevator so I ran up the four flights of stairs. After I caught my breath, I banged on his door and called Brian’s name over and over. What has that girl been doing to him? He looked like he was on his last legs. I knew something wasn’t right.

 

She probably got him hooked on drugs or she giving him some kind of poison to kill him off slowly. I’ve got to get in this loft before that witch gets back to finish him off. My best friend is in there and he could be dying. I’m going call the cops and tell them they need to send someone over here so I can know what’s going on with Brian.

 

‘Operator, this is an emergency. My name is Michael Novotny and there is something is wrong with my friend, Brian Kinney. He’s sick and can’t come to the door. Please send an officer to 6 Tremont Ave and hurry!’

 

“Sir, we will dispatch an officer ASAP. Please stay where you are and wait for assistance.”

 

Carl Horvath was at the front desk when the call came into the police station. He told the operator that he would look into it because he knew exactly who the caller was. “Shirley, I’ll check this one out because it’s probably nothing.

 

That call is from my fiancé’s son, Michael. He’s referring to his best friend who is also one of Debbie’s lost boys. I’ll take my partner Stan along for the ride and we’ll touch base with you as soon as I find out what is going on and whether we will need additional back up.”

 

Bree’s POV

I was gone a little longer than I had planned because I decided to stop by Kinnetik to pick up some files Daddy B wanted to make some revisions on. When I pulled up in front of the loft’s building I almost lost it. There were two police cars out front and Michael was shrieking and screaming at the top of his lungs.

 

“Carl, there she is! That girl Brian took in because she says she’s his kid is the reason I had to call you out here. You need to just arrest her. She has him locked up in the loft doing god knows what to make him look like death warmed over.”

 

“Oh my god! What’s wrong? Where’s my dad? Michael, did something happen to him? I’ve only been gone twenty minutes and he was resting when I left.”

 

I ran to the stairs but that idiot grabs me from behind and pinned my arms to my sides. “Big mistake, Mikey.” I gave the whiny little twerp a headbutt, broke his hold on me, and twisted his arms behind his own back.

 

“Owwww Carl, this she-devil just broke my nose. She was trying to run away from the scene of the crime and I stopped her. Are you going to stand there and let her get away with assaulting me?”

 

“Michael you need to stand down. You had no right to put your hands on this girl who I understand is still a minor. Kinney isn’t going to appreciate hearing that you were manhandling his kid. She was defending herself so why don’t you let Stan call someone to run you to the emergency room. You need to calm down and let us…the police…do our jobs. Wait here.”

 

“Carl, if you ask me, she is a witch. Look at that red hair and those green eyes. She’s probably up there casting spells night and day to make Brian do her bidding. That’s the only way he would be suckered into believing this girl belongs to him. She came out of nowhere and she needs to go back wherever she came from.”

 

“Michael, go get yourself checked out. And for the record, the last time I saw Kinney, he had deep auburn hair and hazel green eyes. This young lady more than resembles him so if she’s a witch, Brian must be a warlock. I’m just saying.

 

Uh, Miss Bree, I’m Detective Horvath and I know your dad. Would you please let us into the loft so that we can see if he father is alright? He’s not answering the door and Michael insists that he is not looking very well.”

 

“Officer Horvath, please come in. My dad probably fell asleep with his headphones on. You see, he has been dealing with some serious medical issues for the past month. Today was his last treatment so Michael must have seen me helping him into the building after I drove him home this afternoon.

 

My father didn’t want the family to overwhelm him so he tried to keep his condition to himself. Justin, Daphne, Mrs. Taylor, and I found out by mistake and we’ve been helping him. Daddy B told Ted and his assistant Cynthia so that they could hold it down for him at Kinnetik. I’ll wake him so that you can speak with him but I have perishables in the jeep that I need to put away before they spoil. Am I free to leave?”

 

Carl was taken aback when Brian dragged himself out to the living room area and collapsed on the sofa. “Wow kid, you look like…I’m trying to be tactful…crap. For once a certain little birdie wasn’t exaggerating or stretching the truth. We were almost ready to break the door down to get to you. Are you going to be okay? Do we need to get you to a hospital? You’re a shadow of your former self so talk to me, Kinney. You don’t want me to call Debbie down here because I’m sure she hasn’t seen you recently.”

 

“I’d appreciate it if you leave Deb out of this, Detective. Okay, I’ll spilI but this is for your ears only. I just completed my last cycle of chemo.  It was testicular cancer but my odds are pretty good because they caught it early.”

 

“Son, I’m sorry and I feel bad for disturbing you. When the call came in I was on my way home and I decided to check it out because Deb would have had my balls if I didn’t.”

 

“Carl, I know and I appreciate your concern and discretion. This is all my fault because I should have told Mikey and Debbie the situation from the get-go. I couldn’t get myself in the right headspace to deal with those two, Emmett, or the girls. That group can be very exhausting.”

 

“Son, you’re preaching to the choir. Say no more because I get it. Believe you me, I do get it.”

 

“But I guess it’s time to show my face. Would you tell Debbie to make some extra food for the family dinner this Sunday? Have you noticed that woman never ever cooks enough food to feed her guests? My minions and I will show up and hopefully, I’ll be feeling well enough to spill my guts to the crew in one fell swoop.”

 

“Listen up, Kid. Michael is the one who set this ball in motion when he called the station because he was worried about you. He was channeling his Captain Astro to the rescue persona and all that. He had your entire building in an uproar while babbling about voodoo, poison, and spells. Sometimes I wonder about that boy.

 

By the way, he got way too up close and personal with that gorgeous daughter of yours but she put him in his place. That’s for sure. And another thing…and you didn’t hear this from me…but somehow his nose connected with the back of her head so he’s on the way to the ER to get examined even as we speak. I’m sure he’ll give you his version of the event but take it with a grain of salt. I’ll do my best to keep him and his mother in check and away from the loft. Is that how you want to handle this fiasco, Kid?”

 

“I think that train has left the station, Detective. Mikey and Deb are as relentless as the Terminator and the Borg combined so I might as well try to beat them to the punch. I’m just gonna bite the bullet and let the chips fall where they may.”

 

“It’s your call, Kinney. Get some rest and take care of yourself, Son.”

 

Brian crawled into bed after Horvath let himself out of the loft and clicked number ‘2’ on his speed dial list. “Mikey, when you get this message call me. We need to talk so come by the loft tomorrow after work.”

 

Michael showed up at the loft seven pm on the dot. He was weighed down with beer, pizza, and chicken.

 

“I know it’s after seven, but you could use a few carbs to fatten you up. You look terrible so will you please tell me what’s going on? Did you catch that stomach virus that’s been making the rounds through the burgh?”

 

“No, and I wish it was something so simple. Have a seat and don’t say a word until I’ve filled you in.”

 

Tears filled Michael’s soulful dark eyes and began to roll down his mournful face. “Oh my god, Brian. You can’t be serious. Not cancer. I can’t wrap my head around this. People die from cancer. You shouldn’t have gone through this all by yourself. I can’t stand the thought of you suffering here in this loft all alone. I’m your best friend. You know that, right? You should have come to us so that Ma and me could’ve been there for you. I’m scared, can you tell me that you’re going to be okay?”

 

“Mikey, listen to me. Are you listening?”

 

Michael grabbed a handful of napkins and blew his nose. “Yes, I’m listening.”

 

“That is why I felt like I couldn’t come to you first. I couldn’t handle the queen outs from you, Ma, and myself. I didn’t want you guys to worry and stress over me. Besides, I wasn’t completely alone, Justin, Daphne, and Bree’ahna hung around here and kept me out of trouble.”

 

“Those silly kids have no idea what to do for someone who is as sick as you are. No wonder you’re just skin and bones. What has your doctor said about your prognosis? Are you cured?”

 

“I have a follow-up appointment next week. If all goes well, my doctor will give me a clean bill of health and I can get back to living my life. But, I need a big favor from you. Let me be the one to tell Ma, Mikey. I’ll drop by the diner around the time she knocks off tomorrow afternoon and offer her a ride home. She’s still in shock over Vic and I’m her favorite so I want to break all this to her gently.

 

 “My lips are sealed and I’ll take it to the grave, Brian. Would you like for me to fix you a plate?”

 

“It smells good but I wouldn’t dare attempt to eat any of that stuff you bought for us to pig out on. But don’t worry it won’t go to waste because Justin and Bree’ahna will take care of it later. Would you hand me a beer? I don’t think one can will kill me.”

 

Brian placed his head in Michael’s lap and touched the bandage on his friend’s nose. “Did she break it? Word on the street says you got your ass kicked by a girl. The female of the species is deadlier than the male especially when they are trained in martial arts. I tried to warn you not too long ago but apparently, you weren’t paying attention.”

 

“Brian, it’s not what you think. I don’t know what ‘Miss Butter Wouldn’t Melt in Her Mouth’ and Horvath told you but, I didn’t really assault her. I was just trying to perform a citizen’s arrest because I thought she had hurt you and was attempting to flee the scene.”

 

“Love you, Mikey. Always have, always will. Now give me the remote, the movie is coming on.”

 

TBC

End Notes:

My computer gave me technical issues so I apologize for the delay in posting this current chapter.


I appreciate the comments and reviews from all of you who are still reading my story. Thank you for your support.

Chapter 19 FREE AT LAST, PART 2 by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Chicken soup, love, and lemon bars are good for the soul.

“Hey, Sunshine, how are you feeling today? You have the honor of being my last customer of the day. I have the order you called in earlier all packed up and ready to go. A turkey breast on whole wheat and hold the mayo for Princess Kinney and a cheeseburger with a double chocolate shake for my favorite twink.”

 

“Thanks and may I offer you a ride home, Deb? I know how you feel about Brian’s ‘Vette but don’t worry, I have the jeep today.”

 

“When I was a girl, guys called those death traps ‘chick magnets.’ But when Brian bought one for himself, I named it the ‘dick mobile.’ Haha, I crack me up, sometimes. Thank you for being so thoughtful. It has been a really long day and I’m not able to do these double shifts like I use to. I’m going to add a chicken salad to your order for his Royal Highness Kinney. And I want you to make certain he eats every single bite. He is way too thin and needs to try to get more protein and calories from off of a plate.”

 

Justin walked Deb out to the jeep parked at the curb and held the door open for her to climb inside.

 

“Well, look at what the cat dragged in. Why are you wearing that baggy hoodie and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a baseball cap on your head in all the years I’ve known you. Did they run out of Armani and Prada? You’ve got some explaining to do, mister. You missed my Sunday Dinner for the past several weeks in a row and I want to know why.

 

“Uh Deb, I’ll be right back. I want to grab a couple slices of pie for later.”

 

“No problem honey, take your time. By the way, the lemon bars were great today so tell Kiki I said to give you half a dozen on the house.” Debbie turned her attention to the man sitting quietly in the back seat beside her and didn’t miss a beat. “Now you listen to me because I have several bones to pick with you, Stud.

 

Poor Ted is in my very own little private dog house because he has been lying his head off and trying to cover for you because he’s afraid of losing his job. Em is about to have a nervous breakdown because you have been MIA from Babylon so long that the tricks are asking him when did the great god Kinney decide to retire? Michael says you have banned from Kinnetik and the loft and he is so worried he can’t think straight. Sunshine looks like someone kicked his puppy every time your name is mentioned.

 

Why have you been holing yourself up in the loft and avoiding your family and friends? I smell a rat, Kiddo. You’re getting too old to be playing hide and go seek and all these other shenanigans you overindulge in when you don’t want to be bothered with the great unwashed. You should really slow your roll and take better care of yourself because you’re looking as scrawny as …”

 

“Deb, you’re right. I haven’t been well for a while now.” Brian pulled the baseball cap off his head.

 

“Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! What the hell happened to your gorgeous hair? You’re as bald as an egg. Did your barber mess up or give you a bad dye job?”

 

“Well Ma, let me tell you. You see, most of it fell out last weekend so I had Sunshine shave off the last of it a few days ago. Look, Deb, I haven’t been hiding, or jet setting to the tropics, or taking business trips out of town. I was and am still kind of sick. Six weeks ago my doctor told me I developed Testicular cancer. I had surgery to remove the diseased cells and I started chemo a week later.

 

Before you go and get all moist on me, I’m pretty certain I’m going to be okay. The oncology team assured me that they caught it early and that was a plus for me. I’ve been trying to make it through the side effects and it’ been hard Ma.”

 

“Debbie gasped and her eyes filled with tears. “Oh my god, no. Tell me you’re just kidding and making a really tasteless joke about a serious condition. Tell me you’re just being Brian Kinney who doesn’t know what a filter is and makes it a habit to let anything come flying out of his mouth for shock value.

 

“Sorry, Ma because when I wasn’t freezing cold from the chills, I was burning up from the fevers. As for tricking and other shenanigans, I don’t have the strength or the inclination and probably won’t for the unforeseeable future. The little I’ve been able to eat comes back up before it reaches my stomach. Sometimes I couldn’t even taste what I was eating because of the mouth sores and blisters.

 

Hopefully the chemo I’ve been subjected to for the last four weeks should have me as right as rain, eventually. I got had a follow-up appointment today and my doctor says my blood work looks good and there doesn’t appear to be any complications.  He’s given me an all clear and is hopeful that it’s only a matter of time before I’m back to normal.

 

Like I told Mikey last night, I waited to tell you because I wanted the hard part to be over before I dumped any more bad news in your lap.

 

My last treatment was two days ago and I swore him to secrecy because it was my responsibility to tell you. I didn’t want anyone to know because I wanted to deal with this all by myself but the truth will out. Don’t be angry because you feel like I was being an ass about my condition. I know you’ve always been there for me Ma but…”

 

Debbie sat there for once in her life at a complete loss for words. First, her makeshift family is rocked to the core when Vic passed. Her beloved baby brother was taken way too soon. Now life has come at them sideways and is attempting to do the same to the boy, no the man she helped to raise. Not on her bloody watch.

 

“Ma, just say or do your worst and get it all off your chest. I’m a big boy and I can take it…”

 

“Shut your trap and listen to me for once in your life, Brian Kinney. All I have to say right now is I know how hard this has been and still is for you but you will beat this thing. Failure is not an option because you will have to answer to me and I will make you very sorry if you make a liar out of me. Do you understand me, Mister?”

 

Debbie carefully and gently wrapped her arms around the frail man and held him for a long while.

 

“You will continue to do whatever those doctors and Sunshine tell you to because I want you to be around for a long time. We will not lose you too. I may not always show it but, you know that I love you as much as I love my very own flesh and blood. Now that Vic is gone, you are the head of the family. Whether you believe it or not, we all love and need you in our lives in order to keep us as dysfunctional as we already are. Do you understand what I’m saying to you, Kiddo?”

 

Debbie fumbled through her enormous tote bag for a couple of napkins and proceeded to wipe the lipstick from Brian’s pale cheek.

 

“Thanks, Ma, and yes, I hear you.”

 

“Good. Now tell me what I can do to help because if you say you’re fine I won’t be held responsible for what happens next. So help me, God.

 

Oh Sunshine, I didn’t see you standing there and don’t think for one minute that I won’t deal with you two when things get back to normal. Give me a call later after you put this one to bed…alone…and let me know what would be a good time for me to come by tomorrow to check on your “non-partner” and help out a little around the loft.

 

I’ll send over a pot of my chicken soup my Nona taught me how to make when I was a young girl. She used to swear that soup could cure cancer so let’s put it to the test. Honey, get in the car and take this man home so that he can rest. If he gives you any grief, tie him to the bed and call me for backup.”

 

“Sure thing, Deb. Oh and when you get home, please give my mom a call. It’s okay, she accidentally found out about Brian’s issue too and can definitely give you more details. By the way, if Brian feels up to it on the weekend, we will drop in for dinner this Sunday and use that opportunity to get the rest of the family up to speed on what’s been happening.

 

DINNER AT DEBBIE’S

Emmett was already teary-eyed when Brian and Justin arrived because Bree, Daphne, and Jennifer had already filled him in. He had a major queen out but pulled himself together in record time. He smiled through the tears for a few seconds, stood up slowly, and walked over to pull Brian close.

 

He whispered into Brian’s ear. “You don’t have to say anything because I already know. Are you going to be okay, Sweetie?”

 

“Honeycutt, have I taught you nothing? Not even cancer can keep a fag as fabulous as myself down. I’m not 100% yet but, I’ll get there. You’re wrinkling the Prada so back off. Are the Munchers here yet?”

 

“Don’t call me Honeycutt. You look like crap but I’m glad to see that you’re still you. When you get back to your fighting weight, I’m going to wipe up Liberty Avenue with you for scaring me out of ten years growth.”

 

Michael kissed Brian and sat down beside his friend. “Brian, I heard your voice out here and thought it was my imagination. I’m so happy you made it to dinner this evening. How are you doing today, Big Guy? Can I get you a blanket or do you need to put your feet up?”

 

Brian stared at Michael for several seconds. “Hey Mikey, I’m good for now. But how is your nose? That raccoon smoky eye thing you got going on is a nice touch. How did that happen? You never did give me the details.”

 

“You must have forgotten that I told you it was an accident. No big deal. Anyway, I just got off the phone with Lindsay. She said it slipped her mind but she and Mel had a previous engagement with friends today. Come to think of it, they didn’t show at dinner last week either. I think Ma needs to give them an attitude adjustment. Lindsay mentioned something about Brian being unavailable to take Gus to park and not making time in his busy schedule to meet them for lunch. She has been really acting kind of clingy lately.”

 

Several people rolled their eyes in disbelief at Michael’s words. However, everyone at the table knew exactly what or rather who had Lindsay all stirred up.

 

Bree reported to Brian and Justin that Lind’s has dropped by the loft a couple of times during the month. However, she or Daphne turned the woman away because Brian was ill, napping, or out taking his daily treatments.

 

For instance, Lindsay showed up at loft early one morning, however, and Bree politely turned her away she took offense. As the mother of who used to be Brian’s only child, in Lindsay’s mind there was no reason she should not have unrestricted access to Brian. Unlike Michael, she wasn’t on his persona non grata list and would not tolerate being blocked by that overzealous little upstart who had wormed her way into Brian’s life.

 

Lindsay went into full-blown WASP mode when Bree offered to babysit Gus in order for Lindsay and Mel to have some time for themselves. Bree told the blonde that would be available the entire weekend and happy to spend time with her little brother.

 

‘Sweetie, while I appreciate the offer, I must let you know that Gus doesn’t do well with strangers.’

 

‘He knows Justin and Daphne and they’ll both be here.’

 

‘I see. However, he doesn’t know you and I don’t want him to be stressed and feel abandoned by both his mother and father. Surely, you understand that. Don’t you, Dear?’

 

“So the girls and my Sonny Boy ditched the family to attend a lesbian retreat with Dusty and her hoard of crumb snatchers.  I’d been dreading her reaction…tears, guilt, and drama…and not to mention the gloating and sarcasm from Smelly Melly. Looks like I was given a reprieve. Maybe someone up there does like me.

 

Maybe today wasn’t the best time for spilling my guts to Linds. I would appreciate it if all of you allow me ‘fess up at a time of my own choosing.

 

I do need to see my kid. I’ll call Lindsay this evening and let her know that I won’t be able to keep Gus but Emmett can be his manny the entire weekend. I’ll pay for their flight, hotel, and spa time so that Mel can be man-scaped. As for you Aunty Em, I’ll pay you double to watch Gus at their place as well as here at the loft.”

 

“And I accept your proposition, Mr. Kinney. A boy needs to know that his father wants to hang out with him. And sleepovers are soooo much fun. Yay!”

 

Brian noticed that Justin seemed to be slightly pissed off about the arrangements. The blond claimed that he needed some air and asked Brian to accompany him out to the backyard.

 

“Bri, I know it’s not my business but why are you rewarding Lindsay and Melanie’s nasty behavior with an all-expense paid weekend? We all know Lindsay is being petty and passive-aggressive because Bree is in the picture. This is like a slap in the face because she is being mean and spiteful to all of us. Daphne and I have taken care of Gus ever since he was a young baby. I resent her for acting as if we would allow anything to happen to Gus.

 

“Grasshopper, you must learn to choose your battles. You don’t get mad, you get even. If this is the only way I can get to spend time with my Sonny Boy, I will do what I must. It’s called beating them at their own game because nobody loses.

 

And, at the end of the day, everyone is happy because they have gotten what they want. That is what counts. I don’t feel like bargaining, bickering, or starring in the latest episode of Wrath of the Munchers. It’s too exhausting.

 

Now smile like the good little country club Wasp you were raised to be and let’s go back inside. I think I’m actually hungry for a change.”

 

Later that evening…

Justin, Bree, and Jennifer sent Debbie out to rest while they cleaned up the kitchen. All of a sudden, Justin noticed Brian’s raised voice had become increasingly strident. The other occupants in the room glanced in his direction.

 

“No Deb. I want you to stay out of it and that is final. I don’t care what you think because I know what I think. They only love my money, not me. You know that.”

 

“Calm down, Kiddo and don’t get your panties in a twist. They are your family and deserve to know what is happening in your life.”

 

“No. that is where you are so far beyond wrong it’s not funny. The people in this room are my family. I think I need some air.” Brian turned on his heel and stormed out of the house.

 

 “Ma, what just happened? What did you say to Brian to get him so upset?”

 

Michael made a move to follow his friend out of the door but Ben placed an arm over his shoulders to halt him in his tracks.

 

“Are you okay, Bri? You were having a good time tonight and the guys really missed you. Whatever it was she said don’t let it stress you, okay? Deb just doesn’t completely get it but she loves you. You know that, right?”

 

“Yeah, I know. But surely she can’t have forgotten about how it was for me growing up in Castle Kinney. Jack was a bully who hated the sight of me and went out of his way to remind me of that little fact. My only sibling has always been a spiteful petty bitch. And let’s not forget about my judgmental, passive, sanctimonious, sainted mother. Enough said.

 

They both think nothing of telling me I’ll burn in hell because I’m a dirty fag so why should I tell the Claire witch and St. Joan that I’m fighting cancer? Why give them more ammo to use against me? Joan, Claire, and her devil spawn mean nothing to me. Whatever.”

 

“Bri, if you don’t feel up to it, we can just leave. Everyone would understand and just assume you’re doing too much too soon. You can go on out to the car if you want and I’ll run in to thank Deb and tell everyone else good night.”

 

“And you’ll never forgive me for being the reason you miss out on a chunk of that Death by chocolate cake you’ve been salivating over all evening. No Twat, I’m good. I’ll rest up a bit when we get back to the loft. I was thinking that later on tonight we can boot up the computer and order some toys for my Sonny boy to have when he and Em visit next week.”

 

“Sounds like a plan. You’re a good dad, Brian Kinney. Let’s go back in and mingle before Deb and Em decide to serve dessert out here in the backyard.”

TBC

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Feel free to comment and review. Thank you for reading.

Chapter 20 HEIRS AND SPARES by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Lindsay and Bree cross swords.

 

 

 

 Brian adjusted the lapel of his Hugo Boss jacket and slipped his feet into a brand new pair of Prada dress shoes. “Not bad, Kinney. You still got it.”

 

It has been a little more than a month since Brian completed chemo. He has gained a few pounds and his clothes are no longer falling off of his body. His hair has grown out enough for him to schedule an appointment with his stylist. He still tires easily if he overexerts himself at the gym or tries to put in too many hours at Kinnetik. However, his doctor and Team Brian do not hesitate to get all over his case and nag like a pack of fishwives so it’s not worth the hassle to disregard any of their admonitions.

 

All in all, no one can deny that Brian is definitely on the mend. He is slightly concerned about the effect of the chemo on his libido but as everyone says, give it a little more time. He’ll be back in the saddle again and as long as Justin is happy he has no problem bottoming for the lad from time to time. The kid is a natural so Brian will simply bid his time and enjoy it until his situation rights itself. 

 

Brian knows he still has a way to go before he is back to being 100%. He is just happy to be doing better physically and mentally considering where he was weeks ago. He’ll never say it out loud and would rather have his tongue yanked out but he is grateful and thankful for the way his team, family, and friends stuck by him and helped him make it through hell to the other side. In the very near future, he will show his appreciation in true Kinney style.

 

The only fly in his proverbial ointment is the relationship he has with the mothers of his son. Lindsay is still being distant and petty and Mel has been stirring the pot because she is happy that Brian is in the doghouse and her wife hasn’t been singing his praises for some time.

 

Actually, Lindz is the one digging in her heels and more so than Monster Mel. Brian is past fed up with her passive-aggressive, borderline pissy attitude. Now that he is feeling better, he has reached the point where he no longer has the patience for dealing with the games she has been playing when it comes to him spending time with his son.

 

It’s as if she has decided in her pretty blond head that just because he is now willing to fit Gus in his life at his convenience, she doesn’t have to comply. More than once she insinuated that he was guilty of habitually blowing off her and Gus because his lover, his job, new daughter, and other extra-curricular activities were taking up all of his free time.

 

When Brian spoke with Lindz the month before, it was to let her know that he would indeed be spending some time with Gus during the weekend he paid for her and Mel’s retreat out of town. He wasn’t feeling quite up to a full-blown confrontation but he let her know in no uncertain terms that he meant business. Of course, she simply flipped the script.

 

‘Oh Brian, we are having such a lovely time and we are feeling completely at ease because Gus is being looked after by Emmett. Gus would have loved to visit with you but you are so busy with work and everything else that is on your plate that we didn’t want to impose. Gus requires close supervision because he gets into just about everything. Justin mentioned you had stomach issues. You probably picked up a bug or two in Ibiza and we really didn’t want to take the chance of exposing Gus unnecessarily. You can never be too careful, you know. That was the reason we didn’t think to suggest that Gus spend the weekend with you and Justin.’

 

Brian called her on her B.S.

 

Lindz immediately shifted gears and exclaimed that she hadn’t seen Brian in two months and he should have told her personally if he wasn’t feeling well enough to spend time with his son. Brian still hasn’t let her know how ill he was and until her attitude changes, he isn’t sure he will ever reveal that information to Wendy.

 

Her genteel rant continued somewhere along the lines that maybe she would have been able to understand and forgive Brian for placing her and his son on the back burner if he wasn’t behaving in such a secretive manner. Bottom line, she really didn’t appreciate being subjected to the rudeness of a certain people in Brian’s circle who have appointed themselves as his personal gatekeepers and bodyguards.

 

Brian was furious that the Moms habitually used Gus as a bargaining tool. Let the record show that once again, Lindz was the main culprit. The woman would simply pop up at the loft or Brian’s workplace usually sans her spouse with little Gus in tow. She would smile prettily and “Peter this or Peter that” before holding out her lily white hand for yet another donation of ducats for God only knows what. As an attorney, Mel is as cutthroat as they come and she makes a decent wage so why do they come up short for cash so often? Do either of the Munchers have a gambling problem or do they need to take money management classes?

 

‘I do more than my share considering the reason Gus is even in existence is that Lindz and Mel wanted a child and couldn’t do it all on their own. I was supposed to be the sperm donor who would only show up to make cameo appearances or play the role of doting uncle at the most. Or act the part of a friend of the family, to say the least.

 

Instead, I was guilted into signing on the dotted line of a million dollar insurance policy and before I knew it, I was paying a more than decent amount of child support on a monthly basis. Not that I begrudge a single penny I put into Lindsay’s greedy grasping little hand for my Sonny Boy. Would it kill them to show some appreciation by not ragging on me or my lifestyle every single time I grace their presence? Every time Mel speaks to me her face scrunches up as if she smells something dead. And Lindz never chastises her or has my back. Why does it have to be this way with those two?’

 

And another thing, why is his college BF and the mother of his child attempting to beat a dead horse when she just needs to get over it? Brian knows the answer but doesn’t really want to address the root of the problem or deal with it because he doesn’t do drama and is inclined to cut Lindsay all kinds of slack because he loves her.

 

Lindsay is going to have to understand that Bree’ahna is in the picture and the girl has made it abundantly clear that she is here for the duration.

****************************************************************

 

Bree and Hunter waved goodbye to Daphne when she let them out of her car and then proceeded to walk the rest of the way to their school. “Ooooh, has a cold front hit the state because the weather has really taken a turn. It’s only mid-September but it feels like winter. When does it actually turn cold enough to snow here in the Pitts?”

 

“You’re cold? Are you like serious, Kinney Jr.? Dude, it’s barely chilly today. I forget that you’re a West coast newbie from LA, the land of sunshine and palm trees. You just wait till next month, then tell me what you think of our lovely weather. Please, you don’t know what cold is until you’ve spent time on the streets during the winter in Pittsburg. Listen, I have swim practice this afternoon so I’ll see you tomorrow unless you drop by to check out me and the other hot guys on the team in our skimpy Speedos.”

 

“Love to but not today, did you forget I started my internship at Kinnetik this week? This girl is trying to get paid, my friend. Call me later and let me know how it goes.”

 

Bree was filing stacks of paperwork when Lindsay breezed into Kinnetik to see Brian. He was in the process of completing a meeting with some of his department heads so she decided to wait in the lobby. Through the open doorway of Brian’s office, Bree could see and hear Lindsay chatting up the receptionist about the interview she has scheduled for a teaching position at the school Bree and Hunter attend. After a few minutes, the receptionist excused herself to walk across the hall and asked Bree to man the phones while she goes on her break.

 

“Well, if it isn’t the ubiquitous Miss Bree Johnston.  Fancy seeing you here and tell me, are working hard or hardly working? I do hope you realize that Kinnetik is a place of business and you should handle your duties here with the utmost seriousness?”

 

“Good afternoon Lindsay, and it is lovely to see you as well. I’m sorry but, I don’t see an appointment here on the books for you today. Is my father expecting you?”

 

“Oh Bree, you are too adorable. No offense, but perhaps you need a few more hours of customer service training, my dear. Why on earth would you think that I might need an appointment to meet with Brian? He is one of my best friends, the father of my son, and a member of my family.”

 

“You are correct, Lindsay. I do realize that I still have a lot to learn about what goes on in the business world. However, as young and inexperienced I might be, I know that is considered bad form to drop in on someone unannounced. Chapter 1 paragraph 3 of the WASP Protocol Handbook.” Bree gave Lindsay her own version of the patented Kinney smirk.

 

Bree rolled her lips into her mouth and watched as Lindsay struggled to control the steam coming from her ears. Hey, it’s not my fault that she can dish it out but can’t take it. I was trying to be polite and professional but she decided to draw first blood. I try to respect her because she’s Gus’ mommy and all but I am not liking her very much and I know the feeling is mutual. This is not the first time we have butt heads.

 

There were a couple instances when Daddy B was feeling really bad from the chemo cycles and Miss Lindsay popped up at the loft. We knew he didn’t want to see anyone because he thought he looked like crap and felt twice as yucky. So Daphne or I had to turn her away with an excuse or sometimes an outright lie.

 

I didn’t take it personally when she glared and ordered us around like we were only the hired help. I get it, okay? People don’t like unexpected changes to pop up in their lives.

 

But, I draw the line when people try to hurt people I care about, especially when they are already feeling down.

 

Daddy B was feeling almost human one day and Taylor thought it would perk up his spirits to spend time with Gus. Lindsay was all, it’s not a good time, she was too busy, they had plans, Gus was…not well. He seemed to be running a slight fever, was cranky, had sniffles, and was maybe teething. She said he’d be better the next day but canceled the visit at the last minute.

 

Then later that same week, she came by the loft and Daddy B was at a chemo treatment and she tried to give me the third degree and then gave me the stink eye when I had no info to give her.

 

Lindsay head almost exploded that morning because she was so incensed. “Young lady, it would be greatly appreciated if you were to relay to Brian that it is imperative for him to contact me the moment he sets foot back in this office.”

 

As I said, she was just too rude for words. And yeah, I wasn’t liking her one little bit. Miss Lindsay needed to be taken down a peg or three and there was no time like the present.

 

“What are you afraid of, Lindsay? Do you just hate the idea that I exist or are you afraid of how my father feels about someone he has known less than 2 months? Do you think he will stop caring for you, someone he considers family as well as a friend or over ten years just because I am in the picture now? If that is true, I’ve got to say it, you must not think very much of the man you call your friend and father of your kid.”

 

Lindsay attempted to be even more condescending. “I’m sorry you are upset and feel we don’t trust you. I do wish you would not take it as a personal slight to you. We don’t know you and it is my duty as a mother to take care of my son.”

 

“So are you saying Brian would allow someone who might neglect Gus to have access to his kid? What about Taylor? He’s taken care of my little brother ever since he was a newborn. You are hurting him too by keeping Gus away just to get back at my father because he has claimed me. That is so not cool.

 

Lindsay, I may not look or act like a WASP but that isn’t important because looks can be deceiving. I know how to play the game. I have a Grandma who is high enough in the WASP food chain to have invented many of those games. You think I can’t figure out where your head is? I know why you have been trying to dismiss me before you even try to get to know anything about me. Why don't you just admit it to yourself that you are jealous and afraid because you think you have lost your claim to fame where my father is concerned? Just say it out loud, you are worried about me taking Gus’ place in Brian’s life.

 

Before I came into the picture, Gus was Brian’s firstborn even though he has no rights to him. You and your wife made certain of that. You guys were thinking that if something ever happened to Brian…which is not too hard to believe considering the lifestyle he has led for years…then just about everything he has would have come to Gus and to you…by default…because he’s still a baby won’t be grown for fifteen years. So, now you as his mothers, are 38 hot because you think Brian might feel the need to choose between Gus and me and make some changes. Am I getting warm, Lindsay?”

 

“You presume too much, young lady. You don’t know anything about me or what I feel for Brian.”

 

“But I have all kinds of ideas to help change that fact. Maybe we can have a do-over and arrange a small gathering for the immediate family. Daddy B, Taylor, Mom Taylor, Daphne, me, you, Mel, and Gus. I’ll be happy to set everything up. Life is too short and we should all just try to get along. Don’t do it just for me, do it for my Dad because it would make him happy.

 

You know, it might be nice to put all our cards on the table, get to know each other, and then see what happens next. A year ago, I didn’t know I had another father or a little brother.

 

“I don’t know if I am comfortable with that idea of yours. Maybe Michael isn’t wrong about you after all. My gut tells me that you are a controlling, manipulative, little schemer and I can’t imagine what Brian was thinking to allow you to infiltrate every aspect of his life. I will continue to keep Gus as far away from you as possible.”

 

“And how do you intend to pull that one off, Lindz? Bree’ahna and I are in each other’s faces nearly every day of the week.” Brian asked the startled woman quietly.

 

Brian crossed the room and dropped a kiss on Bree’s cheek. “Bree’ahna, please ask Meghan to hold my calls and would you deliver these statements to the billing department for me? I do believe the time to address Lindsay’s concerns is long overdue.”

 

 “Brian, surely you are not going to take me to task because I have voiced my thoughts and feelings. I have the right to decide whether or not I should trust a stranger before I feel like welcoming her with open arms into my family circle.

 

You and I go way back so you must remember all I have told you about how it was for me when I was a young girl. I grew up feeling like I was second best because my parents favored my older sister, Lynette. I will not stand by and allow Gus to suffer the same fate because he is no longer the golden child anymore. I am looking out for my son’s interests.

 

 Justin has told me about how he couldn’t deal with his little sister Molly. There is such a huge gap between their ages and he sometimes resented her because he had been an only child for nine years. He said she would get on his last good nerve because she was such a brat. It wasn’t until he left home to live with you that he was able to tolerate her presence.  

 

You have never given me all the details, but I have always had the impression that you were the red-headed child in your family as well. Claire was the darling in your household and did no wrong. And to this day, there is a strain between the two of you. She turned on you and had you arrested when your evil nephew falsely accused you of molesting him.

 

You of all people ought to know how deeply-rooted and damaging the effects of sibling rivalry can be.”

 

 “Lindsay, you’re a piece of work. Do you truly believe that you will succeed in your mission to keep Gus away from me out of spite disguised as concern? I let all those bogus reasons you kept inventing slide because I was giving both of us time to deal for me to deal with an unpleasant and situation.

 

You are using my son for your own agenda and I will no longer stand for it. You have made it your mission in life to cause my daughter distress. Justin is also caught in the cross fire and he doesn’t deserve it. For the life of me, I can’t understand why you refuse to believe that I am such a poor judge of character that I can’t see through a sixteen-year-old girl? But know this, if you, my best friend, and your wife don’t get your acts together, you will make a huge mistake that will in the long run come back to bite all of you in the ass.”

 

“Brian, I can’t believe you are speaking to me this way. You know that you are free to see Gus whenever you like. It is untrue that I am deliberately keeping him away from you because of spite and jealousy. I want nothing more than for Gus to have a solid relationship with you.

 

I have an appointment that I can afford to miss so I will not take any more of your time. Please try to have a productive afternoon and I hope to see you soon, Peter.” Lindsay blotted the tears from her face, kissed Brian’s cheek, and minced her way out of his office.

 

One week later…

 “Bree’ahna, you’ll never guess who called to invite Team Brian to dinner at the Muncher Mansion in order to clear the air and make amends?”

 

Justin crawled into Brian’s lap and high fived his partner. “Get out of here, are you serious?”

 

“As a heart attack. So what say you, Twat? Should we all RSVP?”

 

“I don’t know Bri. What if this is a plot to poison all of us?”

 

“Neither of those two dykes can cook worth a damn and if you ask me, poisoning the food just might improve the taste. That is why told Lindz to let me make a reservation for all of us at Chez Pascal after I check our schedules. Bree’ahna, it’s your call.”

 

“Keep your enemies closer and kill ‘em with kindness is what I always say, Daddy B. Of course, I’m in.”

 

Later that night…

Mel wrapped her arms our Lindsay and told her to stop thinking so loud and go to sleep.

 

“I really enjoyed myself tonight. I must still be kind of tipsy from that 4th glass of wine I should have passed on during dinner. I will deny this by morning but Brian wasn’t as much of an asshole this evening as we all know he can be. Maybe he was behaving because he wanted to impress Jennifer and Bree.”

 

“I don’t know about that, Sweetie. Brian doesn’t do anything that he really doesn’t want to do so maybe you are right. He was kind of mellow so it is definitely possible that those two are a good influence on him. What do you really think about Bree, Mel? Have I let my insecurities about the girl’s motives almost drive a wedge between Brian and me?”

 

“You know how I feel about the Whore of Babylon, Hon. I don’t believe there is enough wine in the world that can change my opinion of him. But as for Bree, I think she’s okay. That girl is already a shark and she isn’t even old enough to vote. I like her personality because she is smart, tough, in your face, but not in an abrasive obnoxious way. I think she has the potential to become whatever she sets her mind to when she becomes an adult.

 

 I told her that if she was serious about studying corporate law that I would be happy to mentor her when the time comes. But most of all, her loyalty to Brian is what has impressed me. I do believe she is a good kid and would look out for Gus because he is her family too. Maybe a good night’s rest will give you a better perspective.”

 

“Has Brian’s other Mini-me charmed her way into your heart too, Mel?”

 

“Bite your tongue, my little Shiksa goddess. You are almost as paranoid as Kinney. Bree and I were talking about some of the classes she is planning to take in college next year. Your over-the-hill club boy had the nerve to act as if I had designs on his still wet-behind-the-ears adolescent.”

 

“No, what in the world did he say to you?”

 

‘That cretin told me to try the white wine because it goes much better with chicken. I pointed to my plate because there was still half of my steak left on it. Then he said in that slutty way of his: Mel, if I didn’t know any better, I’d swear that you’re trying to hit on my under-aged kid. Don’t give me any ideas because up until recently I haven’t had a reason to buy a shotgun. Just saying.”

TBC

 

End Notes:

 

Have you guys ever heard of a holiday called National Siblings Day? It was invented in 1997 by Claudia Evart and is usually held on the 10th of April here in the US. Go figure. Here is a link if you’d like to learn more. 

 http://www.holidayscalendar.com/event/national-siblings-day/

 

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoy this chapter as well. Comments, reviews, and suggestions are always welcome.

 

 

Chapter 21 UPDATE ONLY by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

My computer crashed on me and now I have to wait until she comes out of the hospital. I have notes for the remaining chapter so I will do my best to wrap the story up and deliver it asap. Thanks for your patience.

I have notes for the remaining chapter so I will do my best to wrap the story up and deliver it asap. Thanks for your patience.

Chapter 22 BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

 

The family is a link to our past, and the bridge to our future. – Alex Haley

 

Debbie lit the three candles and placed them before the altar at the front of the church.

 

“St. Peregrine, it’s me again, Debbie Novatny. I’m just checking back in again to show some respect and thanks for the way you looked out for my baby brother, Vic. Thanks again for the extra years we were allowed to have with him and for not allowing him to suffer when his time came. That’s why I make it my business to present myself to you every week.  

 

I know that your job as the patron saint for victims of cancer, HIV, and AIDS etc. has you racking up some serious OT hours. But, I need some more help from you. Once again I would appreciate help from you for my lost boy, Brian Kinney. If you would continue to help him regain his health and strength, while he tries to beat this cancer, I would be ever so grateful. Amen, and I hate to pray and run but customers need their Pink Plate Specials. I’ll see you next week.”

 

“Mom, where were you? I was hunting all over this church trying to find you. You aren’t going to believe what I just heard moments ago from that Michael Novatny’s mother. You know, Brian’s pesky whiny little friend’s mom.”

 

“Yes, Claire. I know exactly who you are referring too. For God’s sake, stop babbling and tell me what you heard.”

 

“Ms. Novatny was praying at the altar and I turned my back so that she didn’t notice me in the pew. The last time I saw that woman was when John nearly got Brian in trouble and she called the two of us out on that. Anyway, she said that has been lighting candles and saying novenas for Brian for over a month. She was thanking the saints for intervening and helping Brian’s recovery.

 

Mom, she was praying to St. Peregrine because Brian has cancer!”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous Claire. Brian is far too young and health conscious to succumb to an illness like cancer. Surely my son would have had the courtesy to divulge information of that magnitude to me. I am his mother, after all. If he is ill then it may be he has contracted…and I can barely say the words as distasteful as the thought is…some sort of sexual disease due to his promiscuous habits.

 

That uncouth woman was probably just trying to get attention. She hasn’t darkened the door of this church on a regular basis for years. Why would she dare considering the type of people she associates with while condoning their deviant lifestyles?”

 

“Mom, how can you say that about the woman when you know she has been coming here for years? She mentioned that she has been praying weekly for her brother who died recently. This is a later service than the one you usually attend because you said you were not feeling well enough to make it to your regular prayer meeting.

 

Mom, why would Mrs. Novatny lie about something so serious? What if she is telling the truth and Brian really is sick?”

 

“Claire, I hate to say this but if your brother is unwell, then he brought it on himself due to the debauched life he chose to lead.”

 

“Mom, how could you say such a thing about your own son, for Christ’s sake? I don’t like the way he chooses to live but is it really our business? He helps us when we call and leaves us alone. Every month he deposits something in my account and yours. He could have made trouble for the stunt John pulled and didn’t.”

 

“Don’t you dare stand here and defend or praise your wicked brother, young lady. He is merely doing what a son should do for a sister who has fallen on hard times and his widowed mother.”

 

“Mom, I’m not defending him, I’m just pointing out that…”

 

Father Tom placed a hand on Joan’s arm. “Ladies, I couldn’t help hearing part of your conversation. May I be of some assistance? Would you like to accompany me and speak calmly in the office? This is not the time or place for debating family issues”.

 

Tom offered both women a seat and a small glass of sherry.

 

“Father, once again my son Brian has caused a disturbance in my life. Everyone has a cross to bear.”

 

“Mom, really?”

 

“How so, Ms. Kinney? I have met your son Brian, and he seems to be a nice young man. I have heard he is successful, popular, and does good things for the community.”

 

“Father, I love my son but he is an unrepentant sinner. I have recently learned that he lives a rather unsavory lifestyle. I have tried repeatedly to get him to see the error of his ways and show him from God’s word that he is destined to burn in hell if he doesn’t repent and change. He scoffs at me and ignores my pleas to help him save himself.

 

What is a mother to do? Now we have just discovered he may be ill, if my daughter heard correctly. Although, she shouldn’t have been lurking and eavesdropping on someone else’s business instead of making her presence known.”

 

“Mother, I can’t believe the words coming out of your mouth. I am going to the car.”

 

“Claire, I will see to it that your mother is delivered home safely. We are going to chat a little longer. It was wonderful to see you at the service today.”

 

“No Father, I wouldn’t think of putting you out of your way. Claire, why on earth do you want to wait out in the car? The temperature is dropping, are you trying to catch a cold or the flu?

 

As I was saying, Father, I do believe the lord is simply trying to show my son the error of his ways by giving him a wake-up call to do better before it is too late. Don’t you agree, Father?”

 

“Mrs. Kinney, I believe God loves all his children and only wants the best for them. We are all sinners and he who thinks otherwise has my blessing to cast the first stone. In our sermon yesterday once again we were reminded to be patient, forgiving, and loving when people who are close to us disappoint, betray, or anger us. We should try to see the good in people instead of judging them or dwelling on their shortcomings. Don’t you and Claire agree?”

 

“Of course, Father and I’m certain I speak for both of us.”

 

“You have mentioned to me in the past that you and your son have been estranged for years. Isn’t it about time to try to change the status of your relationship? I don’t know Brian very well but, I do believe he loves and cares for you. No matter how old a child gets to be, they never stop feeling the need for a mother’s approval and unconditional love. Is it wise to continue to hold onto past hurts and animosity until it is too late to repair a unique relationship that only appears to be broken?”

 

“Father Tom, you have given me much to meditate on this afternoon. Forgive us for taking up more than our fair share of your time. Claire and I have a couple errands to run so we will talk more at a later date.”

 

“Allow me to walk you two ladies out to your car, Mrs. Kinney. I will continue to keep you and yours in my prayers.”

 

Later that afternoon at Kinnetik…

“Mother, are you insane? I don’t feel good about this idea of barging in on Brian while he’s trying to work.

 

“Claire, I insisted that you drive me to your brother’s office so that I can get him to pray with me and hopefully intercede for him. You may wait out in the lobby if you like.”

 

Cynthia sighed and buzzed Brian’s line when she recognized the two women at the receptionist’s desk. “Brian your Mother and sister are here to speak with you.”

 

“I am almost positive that I know why she has decided to darken the Devil’s door. Send her in, Cyn.”

 

Brian held open the door to his office and beckoned his mother into the spacious room. “Hello, it’s been a while, but not quite long enough. To what do I owe the pleasure? Hold that thought, and I’ll be right with you. Feel free to have a seat or not. It’s your call.”

 

Brian returned his attention to his slightly bemused intern and gave the girl a smirk and a brief peck on the cheek. “This meeting won’t take long at all, Bree’ahna. After you leave that paperwork with Schmidt, go grab your things because your Daddy B is taking his best girl to lunch.”

 

“Um okay, Mr. Kinney? I’ll see you in a few.” Bree left the office.

 

Brian strolled over to his desk and sat down. “What can I do for you, Mom? Do you need some cash or something repaired at the house?”

 

“I came to see you, Brian. I am thankful to see that you have come to your senses because at least your latest companion is the proper gender. She is lovely but far too young for you. You just can’t help playing with fire, can you Brian? You should really be careful about fraternizing with your employees. Don’t you realize that sexual harassment charges can result in losing everything you have worked so hard for?”

 

Brian strolled over to his desk and sat down. “Thank you for the PSA, Mom. Now, will you please tell me why are you really here in my neck of the woods?”

 

“Alright, fine! Why didn’t you tell me what was going on with you? Can you imagine how I felt learning that you are recovering from cancer from that strange Novatny woman?”

 

“So are you saying that Debbie Novatny told you?”

 

“No, not exactly. Claire overheard her while she was lighting candles and praying for your recovery. And that is why I decided to have your sister drive me here this afternoon. I had a long talk with Father Tom earlier today and I felt the need to come by and maybe share a brief prayer with you. You must not forget to thank the Lord for sparing your life, Brian. It is a good thing that God is forgiving and loves all of his children no matter what. You should not ignore this wake-up call and do your best to return to God and live a blameless life.”

 

“You mean blameless like the one you and Jack gave me when I was a kid? So let me get this straight, you didn’t come to my workplace to see how I was feeling after dealing with surgeries, and chemo, and other side effects while fighting for my life for the past three months. You came to try to pray the gay away. Yes, mother, I’m here and I’m still queer. Look, I can’t deal with you right now so I’m leaving and you can pray for yourself on your way out of my building.”

 

Bree returned to Brian’s office in time to hear him erupt and see the two women scurry out of the building. “Um, Mr. Kinney, who were those two clients and what did they do to set you off?”

 

“I just saved the two of us from the clutches of St. Joan Kinney, the Ice Queen and her loyal henchman aka my sister the Claire Bitch Witch. You’re welcome. So, did you get ahold of your Papa J so that he can meet us for lunch?”

 

“Yes, he’s there waiting for us. By the way, nice segue, Mr. Kinney. But I hope you know that you can’t drop a bomb like that and just change the subject, right? You just drop kicked my auntie and Grandma out of Kinnetik! Am I the only person in this building who noticed that the Emperor isn’t wearing any clothes? Look, whatever.  But this ain’t over Daddy B, let’s go eat.” 

 

Brian’s loft the next day…

Bree and Justin were in the process of pining Brian to the floor during a mock wrestling match.

 

“There’s my girl Daphne at the door and you two haters are gonna get it. She will so kick your asses if either of you two brutes have scarred my amazing face and figure.”

 

“I’ll be right back so hold him down, Bree.” Justin scrambled to his feet, slid open the door, and came face to face with Claire Kinney.  

 

“Hello, uh Jason? May I speak with my brother, please?”

 

Brian strolled to door with Bree wrapped around his back like a spider monkey. “His name is Justin and what do you want, Claire?”

 

“Brian, I want to know if it is really true that you’re recovering from cancer and how you’re doing. I tried to stop Mom from bothering you at work but you know she has never listened to a word I have to say. Brian, she had good intentions but Mom is as proud and stubborn as you are. But she wants to do better by you. We both do. Father Tom told us off in that quiet easy-going way he has to make sinners straighten up and fly right.

 

When I overheard Mrs. Novatny talking about you I go so scared, Brian. First Daddy dies from cancer, Mom isn’t in the best of health, and now hearing you have been fighting cancer is too much to take. The boys and I won’t have any family left if anything happens to you and Mom.

 

It was terrible when Daddy was sick in the hospital. I would go visit him and he told me a lot of things he would have done differently. He wanted me to forgive him but I couldn’t. He was an awful husband to Mom but she would cover for him and defend him. He was a poor excuse of a father to us when we were kids. It was inexcusable the way he treated you. I told him he should have talked to you and at least try to make amends and he promised me he would. Did he at least make some kind of gesture to you?

 

“Yeah, I think he tried to when he met my son, Gus.”

 

“Brian, you have a son?” Claire exclaimed and glanced quickly at Justin. “But, aren’t you a …um still…not straight?”

 

“Yes, I’m still a gay fag. What does that have to do with my ability to father a son and a daughter? Claire, I would like for you to meet my daughter, Bree’ahna Kinney Johnston. Bree’ahna, this is my sister, Claire.”

 

Claire looked closely at her brother and the slim young girl standing beside him. “I saw you the other day as you were leaving Brian’s office. I knew you looked familiar when you smiled at me and offered to bring me a coffee. I just thought it was my mind playing tricks on me. It is nice to meet you, Bree’ahna. You look just like my brother when he was young except you’re much prettier. I can’t believe that I have a niece and a nephew, wow!

 

“Thank you and just call me Bree. I am pleased to meet you too, Claire.”

 

“Brian, I owe you an apology for the way I handled those bogus charges John brought up against you. I should have done more to fix things. I should have come to you first instead of turning on you the way we all did. I was spiteful and petty and looking back, I feel so ashamed of myself. I have John down in the car waiting because I wasn’t sure you would even talk to me. I want to call him up here and have him apologize to you in front of everyone in this room. That is what I should have done when Justin caught him in that web of lies.”

 

After Claire and her minions leave for home Justin let out a heartfelt sigh. “I do believe there is hope for Clan Kinney after all. Tonight was a start in the right direction, anyway.”

 

“Daddy B, I have a great idea. When do you and Taylor think it would be a good time for me to meet my Nana Kinney? I need to get her to fall in like with me so that we can all get together and do some serious family bonding. Holidays are right around the corner and we all have a lot to be thankful for this year. Yea or nay? I really want this for all of us.

 

You won’t have to do a thing because Team Brian will be all over it. I know Thanksgiving is kind of soon. I don’t want to push you too hard, fry your memory banks, and cause you to self-destruct from an overload of family and festivity.”

 

Brian stared at the girl as if she had peed on a pair of his Prada boots.

 

“Maybe we can have a blowout for the whole family during Christmas break. Taylor and Daph were telling me how it’s their favorite time of the year. I heard that you don’t participate much but it’ll be totally fun. Trust me! We’ll get a huge tree for the loft and now that Lindsay can actually stand the sight of me, Gus can hang out over here and help us decorate it. My little bro will lose his entire mind. Papa J, do you mind if I borrow one of your notebooks? I need to start making some lists.”

 

Bree hustled over to Justin’s area of the loft that doubled as his studio.

 

Brian glared at Justin “Sunshine, I smell a rat. Tell me you didn’t put her up to all this. Brian Kinney doesn’t do Xmas.”

 

“I heard that, Mr. Grinch.”

 

Justin grinned at his partner, raised his right hand, and backed away slowly. “Bri, I solemnly do swear on a stack of bibles that I had no idea your daughter was planning to do Christmas here at Castle Kinney.”

 

“Taylor, remind me to call Aunty Em. He says he’s the best party planner in the Pitts and I’m going to need his help.”

TBC

 

 

 

End Notes:

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. We will be wrapping up this story next week so thanks for hanging in there with me. Please feel free to comment or leave me a review.

Chapter 23 FAMILY MATTERS by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

Relatives and friends…sometimes you can’t live with them, and can’t live without ‘em.

 

Justin and Daphne were hanging out snacking and watching daytime television when Bree burst into the apartment. The teen knew that she would blow their minds when she revealed how she spent her afternoon.

 

“Guys, you see I was thinking about something and I want your input because I know you two have my back and won’t steer me wrong. Papa J, you’re my brother from another mother and Daph, you’re like my big sister even if you are the size of a ten-year-old.”

 

“Daphne rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue. “Bite me, Stretch. Snarkastic much? Whatev, and I’ll have you know that everyone isn’t born to parents who are half giraffe and half ostrich. I’m what they call petite, fun size, adorable, and cute as a button. Thank you very much.

 

I’m just sooooo glad my hair has started growing out because I really miss my curly mop. I remember when Brian kept queening out about the shape of his head when he shaved his hair at the beginning of chemo. I felt his pain and was able to relate due to that pixie cut I thought I was rockin’. I tried not to let it show but I was feeling all kinds of insecure some days. That cut exposed my ears and revealed to the entire world that I had more than my fair share of Elfish blood.

 

But I digress, Roomie. What did you want to run by Jus and me? It is a juicy tidbit of gossip?”

 

“Guys, you need to hang onto your hats because this is big. Okay, so you’ll never guess who I hung out with today. Go on, try to guess. No, never mind, I’ll just spill it. I invited my Auntie Claire out for a cup of coffee and then I talked her into calling my Nana Kinney and convinced her to do lunch with us.”

 

Daphne spewed a mouthful of wine across the room and Justin almost choked on the giant handful of popcorn he tossed into his mouth.

 

“Cat got your tongues or did you, two kids, just swallow them? Like Auntie Em said the other day, it’s so quiet in this room that you could hear a mouse peeing on cotton.”

 

“Bree, are you seriously telling us that you broke bread today with members of the infamous Kinney Clan?” Daphne’s eyes were the size of dinner plates.

 

“And those two harpies allowed you to leave the restaurant in one piece?” Justin made a show of examining the girl for cuts and contusions.

 

“Stop trying to feel me up and focus, Taylor. Now, I have the floor so will you two please zip it and let me tell my story? When I’m done, you guys can give me some feedback.

 

So, I called Claire a couple of days ago and asked her to meet me at a coffee shop on her side of town. I didn’t think she was quite ready to mingle with the crew at the diner. I told her we could fill in some of the blanks and maybe get to know each other a little better.

 

I was on my second blueberry walnut scone when Auntie entered the shop and spied me in one of the back booths.”

 

“Bree, I’m so sorry for running a bit late but my car was acting up this morning and I didn’t have a number to contact you. Are you sure my brother is okay with you meeting me here? I don’t want to cause any friction between you two.”

 

“Claire, Brian Kinney is not my handler or my keeper, he’s my other father. I have been on my own for a while now and Daddy B understands and supports my need for independence. Would you like for me to order you a cup of tea or coffee and a bite to eat?”

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you, Bree. Yes, I’d love a cup of tea, thanks. I can see that you’re a young lady who is old enough to work at my brother’s company and not a child. That is what makes this whole situation so surreal. I was three when Brian was born and I know how old my brother is. I’m just trying to wrap my head around the fact that I have a nearly grown niece and a young nephew I know nothing about. Do you mind if I ask how old you are so that I can do some mental math or just count on my fingers?”

 

“Not at all, I turned sixteen in May and believe it or not, I share a birthday with my dad. Will you think I’m a dork if I tell you that I was a sweet sixteen birthday present to your brother?”

 

“I think it’s cute and I would never call you dorky. Brian and I aren’t close and haven’t been for years and even though my brother lives his life out, loud, and proud, he is a really private person. I’m curious did you grow up here in Pittsburgh? Why has Brian chosen to introduce you after all this time? If you feel like I’m being too nosy just say so and I’ll back off.”

 

“I know you’re bound to have questions and that’s okay. I’ve known about you guys for a while now and I am still blown away. I was born and raised in LA and as for my dad, he didn’t even though I existed. Last year I found out that I’m his beach bash baby.”

 

“Excuse me, I don’t get it. What kind of baby did you say that you were?”

 

“My father said I didn’t owe anyone any explanations but I want you to know who I am. You said that you and my father are three years apart so he must have been a rising sophomore and you were going to be a senior when school began in September 1986.

 

Bree opened up a three-ring binder and passed it to Claire. On the first page was a photo of her parents on their wedding day. The next one was of six-year-old Bree sprawled across her parent’s lap on a picnic. Her birth certificate, a copy of Brian’s paternity test and the photo of Leilani and Brian lounging on the sand occupied the third and fourth pages.

 

“This is my mom, and she was Leilani Johnston back then. But she married my dad Anthony Frazier when I was three. Did you know her?”

 

‘Of course, I remember her. Leilani Johnston…head cheerleader, prom queen, nominated for best dressed two years in a row…is your Mom? But how? I mean, I know how but…she and her family relocated to California right before the school year started. The same weekend of the Senior Beach Bash. Ah ha…

 

I didn’t go because I had just broken up with my boyfriend and wasn’t in the mood. But it’s all coming back to me now and I recall one of my friends telling me that my little brother, who was not even close to being a senior, had crashed the party and hung out there all night long.’

 

Earlier that day, Brian and I took turns sniping at each other while he primped in the bathroom mirror. He was completely unaware that I was watching him while he admired himself from all angles. The conceited little ass!

 

Finally, I made my presence known when I tugged at the collar of his shirt. He spun around and glared at me from under those perfectly arched brows and long lashes that were completely wasted on a boy. I waved a price tag under his nose.

 

‘Well, well, well, what have we here? Where did you get the cash from to buy a fancy shirt like this or have you taken up shoplifting in your spare time, Little Bro?’

 

‘Nunya, Claire Bear. You’re not my mother or father or the boss of me so I don’t have to answer to you.’

 

‘True, but if you have been dipping in Jack’s wallet and ripping him off, well that would make you too dumb to live. It doesn’t take much to set him off when you haven’t done anything wrong.’

 

‘Listen to me, Claire. Are you listening?” Brian stepped up into his sister’s face. “I don’t have to steal from Jack to get the things I want or need. For the past three months, I have been busting my hump mowing lawns, running errands, and doing odd jobs for anyone who would hire me. Unlike you, I didn’t sit on my ass the entire summer painting my nails, watching the soaps with Mom, and eating bonbons.’

 

‘Whatever, Punk. Anyway, you’re not going anywhere today because Mom said Dad grounded you. So there!’

 

‘Ask me if I care about being grounded? Mom is sleeping off her sherry and Jack is down at the corner bar so who’s going to stop me? You? As if. Hey, I gotta go ‘cuz my ride’s here. Later and don’t wait up.’

 

And just like that, he was out the door and in the wind.

 

“Leilani and Brian? Gracious, who’d a thunk it? But he was a baby and had to have been still fifteen when…I can’t even say it’s unbelievable. As young as he was, Brian was one of the It Boys at our school. He had half of the girls in tripping over themselves and drooling over him. So, I suppose it would be safe to say that Lani never told Brian about you?”

 

For the next hour, Claire and I talked about my life in LA and I told her how I became estranged from my parents early last year when I learned about Daddy B. It was like coincidence, karma, kismet, and fate all combined together and led me to Taylor and he helped to pull my Daddy B into my life.

 

“I have a question for you, too. Why is there so much bad blood between my father, you, and your mom?”

 

Claire sighed and looked down at her clasped hands. “A lot was due to plain old sibling rivalry. Brian was the pretty one, the smart one, and the brave one. But, it was like he would intentionally stir Jack up especially when the man was in the bottle. As I mentioned the other day, he would bully mom and me but took the brunt of his anger out on Brian. I use to pray that if only Brian would just back down sometimes maybe Jack wouldn’t be so hard on him. Sometimes I kind of blamed my brother when he was a victim just like me.

 

 Brian resented my mother because she did nothing but open her Bible and crawl into a bottle when she couldn’t cope with life. When we were young, Brian would say that if Mom cared about us she would just run away and we could start over. He would call her a coward because she wasn’t there for us and was unable to do anything about the way my dad abused all of us.

 

My brother was strong and fearless and he didn’t understand that back in the day women didn’t pick up and leave their husbands. It didn’t matter how hateful and mean their men were, it just wasn’t done. Besides, Mom had never worked outside of the house a day in her life. She wouldn’t have known where to go or what to do with two kids to take care of on her own. Domestic abuse wasn’t a hot topic or frowned on back then the way it is now. It was kind of like “don’t ask, don’t tell” in the military.”

 

While Claire and I were sipping out lattes my mind was running at warp speed. I convinced my aunt to allow me to meet my grandmother that very afternoon. Instead of taking Joanie a box of Godiva chocolates…her other guilty pleasure…and some flowers, we would all sit down to a light lunch. If my Nana wasn’t a total lost cause, then I would put forth the effort and try to get to know the woman.

 

I heard Claire out and tried not to be so judgmental. “Look, I just got my mom and my dad, Tony, back in my life and we’re all in a good place again. I want Daddy B reconciled with his or rather our family but only if you guys are gonna treat him right. I’m working on my dad and if you can nudge Nana Kinney in the right direction it will be great. Family drama is real but if we take baby steps we just might be able to connect and make this happen”

 

At my insistence, Claire dug her phone out and made the call to Joan Kinney.

 

‘Mom, I know this is short notice but I would like to invite you to have lunch with me and someone who I have met recently.

 

No Mother, this is not a prank and I’ll explain when you get here. I will have a taxi at your door in 30 minutes. See you then.’

 

We both agreed it would be best to just spring my existence on the poor woman in a public place. Hopefully, she wouldn’t have an aneurysm or stroke out when she made the acquaintance of her thirty-two-year-old gay son’s sixteen-year-old biracial daughter.

 

“Actually guys, Nana Kinney took the news better than I thought she would. She turned red, stopped breathing for nearly five minutes, exhaled through her nose like Daddy B does when he is truly out and done. Finally, she apologized for thinking I was my father’s office side piece when she visited him the other day at Kinnetik.

 

The three of us had a nice salad, Nana Kinney marveled about how much I resembled my father when he was a kid, we talked about some of the sights and tourist traps in LaLa Land, and she praised my table manners. We promised to stay in touch so I would say things went well. I wonder when she’ll show up at Kinnetik again and give my dad the third degree and offer up prayers on behalf of his sinful immortal soul?”

 

“Omigod Bree, what were you thinking?” Justin and Daphne exclaimed in unison.

 

“I was thinking I could be a mediator or a buffer and see what happens. Sue me for taking the initiative and trying to become acquainted with my own flesh and blood. The more I know about them then the closer I would be to deciding if I could or should really trust them. My father seemed to accept Claire’s apology and my cousin John sounded sincere. Do you think Daddy B will feel like I went behind his back or interfered in his business?”

“Well, Brian didn’t toss the lot of them out of the loft window. As for Claire, she did seem to be really contrite. I saw Brian slip each of your cousins twenty bucks before he sent them to the corner store for a guava juice and chips and told them to keep the change.

 

Your cousin John is like fourteen now so maybe he’s starting to get his head on straight. He didn’t seem to be as belligerent as he was when he tried to throw Brian under the bus with those lies he conjured up all those months ago. He may not have been overjoyed about it but the sneaky little monster did apologize verbally and wrote Brian a letter.”

 

“Bree, don’t stress about this. Listen to Justin, take your cue from Brian, and go with the flow. He’d rather have his wisdom teeth pulled without anesthesia than to admit that he really wants his biological family in his life. He’ll just leave the ball in your court for now.”

 

“I don’t want you to think I’m being negative, Bree. I want you to try to understand why I’m a bit biased toward the Kinney Clan and why it may take a while for me to come around. I know holding grudges is petty and non-productive but every last one of those Kinneys has gone out of their way to hurt Brian’s feelings because they thought he didn’t have any. The Claire I know is an uber cunty bitch, pardon my French. But maybe she has decided to turn over a new leaf. That little shit John could have ruined Brian’s entire life, reputation, and career. But maybe leopards can change their spots after all. ”

 

 “And your verdict on my Nana Kinney?”

 

“I don’t know all the details, but she has a lot to answer for where Brian is concerned but what’s done is done and you can’t change the past.  That’s why God put erasers on pencils so that you can have do-overs and get it right the next time. You and I are on the same page where Brian is concerned. I want him to be happy and if his bio family can’t love him then at least they can give him the respect he has earned for all that he does for them and everyone else in his life.

 

So, to make a long story short, you want Team Brian’s input on whether or not a personal invite should be extended to your Nana Kinney, Auntie Claire, and the minions for the holiday party?”

 

“Yeah, exactly. The theme is going to be 1920’s and Em and I are calling it The Great Gatsby Gala 2003. I found this place where we can rent flapper costumes, decorations, and props. But I was wondering if you guys think it’s really okay with Daddy B or is he just humoring me and trying to avoid hurting my feelings?”

 

“Bree, Brian has a soft spot where you are concerned but he doesn’t do anything that he really doesn’t want to do. You can take that to the bank. I say we should send the Kinney Clan an invite and leave it up to them to rsvp or not. What do you say, Bree?”

 

Bree was frowning at her phone.

 

Daphne nudged the suddenly quiet teen. “Bad news?”

 

“My phone was on silent because I didn’t want any interruptions when I was dealing with my peeps this afternoon. I have like four missed calls and a couple of texts from Hunter.”

 

“What’s going on with the littlest hustler? He hasn’t been plotting my death or hitting on Brian lately. Being outed at his school sucks and believe me I know what he’s dealing with and how low he’s feeling.”

 

Bree pulled on a pair of boots and grabbed a sweater.

 

“He says he can’t deal with living here in the Pitts anymore and he wanted to thank me for having his back. That stupid idiot is going to throw his life away. He says he’s getting the heck out of Dodge and is on the way to the Greyhound Bus station. Are you guys riding out with me? I might need help in order to haul his bony ass back home and beat some sense into him.”

 

“So Kinney Jr, you rounded up your entire posse just to see little ole me ride off into the sunset? Sweet!”

 

“Hunter, do your dads know that you’re planning to skip town?”

 

“Duh, Blondie. Did you think I would just sneak away like a thief in the middle of the night after all those two guys have done for me?”

 

“Dude, I like Zen Ben. He’s a chill kind of guy but he doesn’t need to deal with this crap you’re trying to pull. And your dad Michael, well let’s just say I’m still trying to work out exactly what it is I feel for him. If you leave he’s going to lose it and stress my Daddy B out with his drama.

 

So, don’t try me because I will drag your scrawny ass all the back to Stepford Fag Village. You don’t want to get on my bad side so get in this car and let’s go home. You’re in a good place now and I don’t want you to blow your entire future and the past couple years of progress you have made.

 

Papa J, please grab his bag.”

 

Bree and Daphne frog marched the lanky lad outside to the parking lot.

 

“Hunter, what my little roomie was trying to say in that thugged out but loving way of hers is you aren’t alone anymore. You have an entire family who wants good things for you. Hey man, you’re feeling down and discouraged but trust us, things can only go up from here. We aren’t in your shoes but that doesn’t mean that we will just walk away and not try to help. Talk to us about it and tell us why are you bugging out?”

 

Hunter leaned against Daphne’s car and dropped his face into his hands. “Blondie here will know a little of what I’m talking about but like my Dad Michael says, he had Kinney. And before that, he came from an upper-middle-class family. He’s never been on the street or did any of the things I was forced to do to survive. You haven’t been thru what I’m dealing with and the stuff I’m going through every day of my life. None of you guys really get it and you don’t have a clue.”

 

‘You’re absolutely correct, man. Despite the things I’ve gone through, I know I had it easy when I first came out. No, I didn’t really count my blessings and sometimes I wasn’t always thankful and appreciative. I have often wondered what would have become of me if Daphne, Brian, the Family, and my mom weren’t there for me.”

 

“Hunter, listen to me because I’m a professional fag hag who has been talking Justin down from the ledge for fifteen years. Come back to our place and let’s hash this out and see if you can come up with a plan B. It’s insane to leave your family and friends and become a homeless person if there are other options. If things aren’t better by New Year’s, then do what you think you need to do. But give yourself time to clear your head.”

 

By the time the group made it back to the girls’ apartment Hunter had decided to agree to play the wait and see game. “Guys, I give you my word that I’ll stay put for now. I sent  a text to my dads letting them know to expect me home this evening.”

 

Bree gave her friend a fist bump and a tight hug. “Fantastic and go you for making the right decision.

 

“Daphne, remember when I first arrived here in the Pitts? We talked  about how the neighborhood pitched in and raised the money to keep the Hospice open.”

 

“Of course. I mentioned that Brian would have eaten glass chips before he would admit to caring enough to raise a large portion of the money donated all on his own."

 

“Yes, that’s what I heard, too. So anyway, I was thinking that it would be cool and a great way to give back to the community if there was a safe house for the gay kids who are homeless. What do you guys think? Hunter, do you have any suggestions?”

 

“Well yeah, as all of you know, I was on the street for almost four years before I landed in a Disney fairytale with my dads. It would have been nice to have had somewhere safe to go instead of having to hustle in order to feed myself. Most of the guys I knew when I was on the street had been kicked out or left home because no one wanted them. There were two choices, you go into the system or the streets.

 

So, like maybe a halfway house would be a nice start. Nothing fancy but someplace with a roof and four walls that were warm and clean. Access to a clinic for regular checkups would be a plus. The kids could maintain the place with maybe a house mother around for supervision like in college dorms, you know what I mean? There would have to be some rules like getting a job and going to school. Those kids have to learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch.”

 

“Taylor, do you think we could pitch something like this and see if it will draw some interest at Kinnetik?”

 

“It’s for a good cause and I don’t think it would hurt to try. Let’s talk with Brian and see what he has to say about the feasibility of such a project.”

 

“I’m cool with that, Papa J. Now back to the other item on my agenda. So Hunter, in three weeks we are throwing a family thing on New Year’s Eve. The theme is the roaring twenties and we’re calling it the Great Gatsby Gala. Auntie Em has been queening about because he claims all that heavy lifting ruins his manicure. He needs an assistant and that is where you come in.

 

Sir Taylor, would you do the honors, please?”

 

Justin draped a silky throw around his shoulders and placed a psychedelic lampshade on his head. “Candidate Novotny Brucker, rise and take a knee before me.”

 

“Huh? Uh, Blondie, you are so not my type and I’ll have you know I’m still holding out for your partner.”

 

Bree bared her teeth and hissed, “Just do what he says, you little freak! I’m starving. That pizza delivery person is so not getting a tip from me if those pies are cold.”

 

Hunter dropped to his knees.

 

“Sir Daphne, hand me my sword if you please.”

 

The girl rolled her eyes, bowed from the waist, and gave Justin a dust wand. “You are such a dork.”

 

“I dub thee Sir Hunter, fourth honorary member of Team Brian.” The blonde chanted in a deep baritone and tapped the youth on each shoulder. “Sir Bree, his armor.”

 

Bree placed a Team Brian tee and baseball cap on a lurid throw pillow and offered the items to the bemused but delighted inductee. At the sound of a brisk knock, she sprinted to the heavy wooden door and yanked it open.

 

“Oh, Hey Daddy B. I didn’t know Kinnetik delivers pizza. I must have missed that memo. Thank God you’re here. I was almost ready to gnaw my arm off.”

 

Dearest Bree’ahna, I can’t imagine why you’re so hungry. Chef salads with the works, strawberry cheesecake and virgin mimosas are pretty filling. Or so I have been told by a very reliable source whose usual libation of choice is a nice sherry.” Brian dropped a kiss on the girl’s flushed cheek.

 

“Diva Daphne are you still cracking that whip I loaned you and keeping all these yahoos in line?”

 

“I’m all over it, Bossman.”

 

Brian’s gaze lingered on the still kneeling newly knighted most recent member of the team and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Do I really want to know why you are in such a compromising position?”

 

Hunter smirked and saluted the older man. “Sir Hunter on deck and reporting for duty, Sir Stud.”

 

“My duty is not on your job description and way above your pay grade, mister. So back off and find some other deck to scrub.

 

“What’s going on here, Sunshine? Some roleplay? Kinky!” Brian pulled the lampshade down over Justin’s eyes and planted a kiss on his partner’s open mouth.

 

Daphne placed a hand over Bree and Hunter’s eyes. “Ew, not in front of the children. You’ll corrupt their innocent little minds. Let me send them to their rooms and you two hold that thought until I get back.”

 

“Blondie, you sure know how to pick them. Your fag hag is a total freak and I think I’m in love.”

TBC

 

 

End Notes:

 

Do you guys remember the sitcom Family Matters aka The Steve Urkel Show? For nine seasons, Jaleel White showed us that it was okay to be a geeky nerd. That kid was hilarious.

 Thanks to everyone who is still reading and enjoying the story. Please feel free to comment and or review.

 

Chapter 24 EPILOGUE by Enohvee1875
Author's Notes:

The gang’s all here.

 

Five months later…

Bree, Justin, and Cynthia breezed into Brian’s office with ear-to-ear grins on their faces. Bree buzzed him on the cheek and Justin dropped into his partner’s lap and planted a sloppy kiss on his mouth.

 

“Hey Daddy B, I’ve got something amazing to show and tell you. Before I spill and let the cat out of the bag, tell me, who’s your favorite daughter?”

 

“As far as I know, you are or do I have any more long-lost offspring I need to claim?”

 

“You’re hilarious. But listen, as you know, I volunteer two evenings as an instructor for the self-defense class at the GLC. Gotta keep my edge because I don’t want all this fineness you see before you to turn to flab now that I’m legit and have a desk job.”

 

“Yes, that is true and I recall giving you the same speech I give Theodore every other week. Don’t screw up my company or I have your balls and fire you in a New York minute.”

 

Two weeks ago, Bree sashayed into Kinnetik to model her cap and gown. Brian called Ted into his office and asked the delighted girl if she was ready to sign her new hire paperwork.

 

‘Bree’ahna, one of these days, I hope you, Sunshine, and your little brother are going to help me run the company. You need to know the ins and outs of every department…legal, sales, art, financial etc. Delegate when you need to but at the same time, you must keep your finger on the pulse of everything that is going on to run a business successfully.’ 

 

Bree was nearly vibrating with excitement. “Anywho, at the end of class the other night, one of the parents introduced me to this guy who owns a chain of dojos.  Mr. Turner asked me if I wanted a job but of course, I told him I work for Kinnetik, the best advertising boutique on the East coast. Then, I asked him who does his advertising and if he wanted to improve his sales.

 

He mentioned that he came into some money recently and wanted to grow his business. He’s got chain of six karate dojos all over the northeast. He told me that his website could use some updating and was thinking about investing in a couple commercials and maybe a billboard or two. I told him Kinnetik could help him. At first, I figured I would give the guy him a company card, try to get some basic contact info from him to see if he was serious, and then pass him over to you. But then, a light bulb went on in my head and I decided I would try to bag him on my own.

 

So, with help from Cynthia and Papa J…who did the art for my boards after I swore him to secrecy with the promise of your firstborn grandchild…we put together a pitch and showed Mr. Turner what we could do for him in the different forms of media available to fit his budget. And voila Boss, I have here in my hot little hands a signed contract waiting for you to give the stamp of approval. We got him for three years. I landed my first account! Go me.”

 

Bree yanked Justin from Brian’s lap and the duo did a happy dance all over the office.

 

“I think you’re gunning for my job so I better watch my back. Seriously, you’ve done good Bree’ahna. I am proud of you for the hard work and initiative you put into landing this account. Good job.” Brian shook the girl’s hand and pulled her in for a hug.

 

Bree waggled a finger under Brian’s nose. “Don’t even try to stiff me on my sign-up bonus, Boss. Ted has taken me under his wing and I have learned how to crunch the numbers with the best of ‘em. That check will give me plenty of cash to buy souvenirs for the entire family when we fly out to Ibiza next week after my graduation.

 

Daphne and I have been packed for a week and our bags are sitting by the door. Before the ink is dry on my diploma, I intend to be lounging on the beach working on my tan. I am so excited I could just scream. Let’s hit the town and celebrate by pigging out on something absolutely delicious.”

 

One week later…

 “ConGradulations, Miss Bree! You did it, Girl! I told you the tassel was worth the hassle!”

 

“Thanks, Auntie Em.” The girl was deluged with balloons, flowers, cash gifts, and well wishes.

 

Bree gave Lindsay and Mel a hug and placed her cap on Gus’ head. “We are all so proud of you, Young Lady.”

 

Emmett, Leilani, Debbie, Jennifer, Claire, and Joanie sniffled and passed a box of Kleenex back and forth.

 

Brian rolled his eyes and shook his head. He was still trying to deal with the fact that thanks to Bree’ahna’s machinations, bullying, and shaming, he was subjected to socializing with his mother, sister, and the devil’s spawn nephews on a regular basis.

 

Brian snorted derisively, “Okay, all of you with the Kleenex fetish, mop your faces dry and re-apply your war paint. We have reservations for the entire family at the Four Seasons. Let’s mount up and ride out before they give our private room away.”

 

The concierge met the huge party upon arrival and escorted them to the private dining area. “Kinney party of twenty, I presume. Congratulations on your daughter’s matriculation, Sir. I hope you all enjoy your meal.”

 

Brian stood up and tapped a wine glass to get everyone’s attention. “Listen up gang, I have an announcement to make. Bree’ahna I’m sorry to say there was another gift for you but we had to leave it at the loft because we were running late for your ceremony. Sunshine is the blame, of course.”

 

“As if! Don’t try to throw me under the bus, Big Guy. Everyone in this banquet room knows you primp more than a bride on her wedding day.”

 

Bree clapped her hands and squealed like a piglet. “Oooohhh! Another gift for little ole me? What it is? Can I have a hint? I‘m being greedy but I just loooovvvve me some gifts! Hey Daph, I need you and Papa J to get over here and hold Daddy B down so I can tickle him until he spills.”

 

“I’ll disown the three of you if you make me piss myself because these pants are from the Prada Spring Collection and I waited two weeks for it to be delivered.

 

Hey Theodore, would you and Emmy Lou re-start the graduation video on the projection screen from the very beginning. There’s something special on the tape that my daughter needs to see.”

 

On the screen, in front of the loft was a brand new red Jeep covered with silver and black bows and streamers. Michael was at the wheel and Brian, Justin, Daphne, Leilani, and Tony waved and blew kisses at the camera.

 

“There you go, Bree’ahna. I hope you love it. When your dad Tony and I ordered this for you, he assured me that you’ve wanted one ever since you were a toddler and that red was your favorite color. Do you want to keep it or should we send it back?”

 

Bree screamed and lunged at Brian and Tony.  “I love you guys. Omigod, you shouldn’t have but I love it! Taylor, Daphne I thought we guys were tight? How could you two have kept this from me?”

 

“Daddy B, you and Dad are two of my favorite fathers. I want you to remember that when you’re both old and decrepit but still smokin’ hot, you can count on me to take good care of you. Scout’s honor.”

 

Tony clapped Brian’s shoulder. “Thanks for all you’ve done for our daughter, Brian. She’s happy, healthy, and safe. That is all that matters to me and her mom.”

 

“It was my pleasure, Tony. Bree’ahna is a special girl and with our help, she’ll make her mark in this world.”

 

 

 

End Notes:

Well, that’s all folks! I am going to miss updating this story, but THURSDAY’S CHILD is a wrap. I hope all of you guys enjoyed reading this story as much as I loved writing it. Who knows, maybe I will revisit this universe one day…

Thanks for all the reviews, likes, and encouragement. Later.

 

 

This story archived at https://midnightwhispers.net/viewstory.php?sid=3951