Debbie You Got Some Explaining to Do! by Galesgal
Summary:

What if Michael Novotny. wasn't Michael Novotny?    What if that picture that Debbie chose in the newspaper was mislabeled?   What if i soldier with breaks in his memory comes back to claim the family that he lost a long time ago?    This is what happens.


Categories: QAF-U.S. FICTION Characters: Ben, Brian, Daphne, Debbie, Emmett, Hunter, Jennifer Taylor, Justin, Lindsay, Melanie, Michael, Original Character(s), Other Canon Characters
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 1959 Read: 3111 Published: July 23, 2016 Updated: July 27, 2016

1. I Got An Idea by Galesgal

2. Chapter 2 by Galesgal

I Got An Idea by Galesgal

Chapter 1: I Got An Idea


Deborah Grassi was pacing.     She had gotten herself into this, but like everyone said she was smart, and she came up with a way to get herself out of it.    She just needed someone to talk a few things over with.    She needed her brother.


Victor Grassi knew something was a brewing when he came back to his building and found his little sister sitting on his stoop.


“Come on in, I’ll make us some dinner.” He told her unlocking the door.


Vic loved his sister, after he had come out to his parents she had stood up for him.   She was a good kid, but just like a kid should she would have to support their wishes.   At least for now, and they didn’t want anything to do with their gay son.    So it had to be something big for her to be here now.


Debbie knew that her brother was suspicious.    She talked to him every day on the phone but to be here now, if herm other knew she’d have her head.   Well that would be until she found out why she was there, and then she’d tell her what she told her brother a few months ago.


“Okay sis, what’s going on?” he asked once he got the sandwiches ready.


“This meet Michael Novotny.” She smiled showing him a newspaper.


He looked and briefly read over the article.   Michael Novotny was a local kid who had went off to war.   He didn’t have a mom or a dad, poor kid didn’t have anyone.   Apparently he was just killed in the line of duty.


“Okay, what about him?”


“I was seeing him before he got deployed.    I didn’t want mom or dad to know.”


Vic didn’t know what to think.   Debbie and her secrets, his sister had just lost someone she loved.   By the look on her face it was the real thing, or at least she thought it was the real thing.    She had come to him for comfort.   That’s what he’d give her.


“I’m so sorry, I didn’t know you were seeing anyone.” He expressed hugging her.


“I’m going to have to tell mom, that Michael and I sort of snuck off and got married.”


“What?    How, you’re not old enough to get married.”


“No one really asks if you tell them you’re in love and you have a man about to go off to war.   They let us do it.”


“I’m sure in the beginning they will be upset, but considering what has happened they’ll understand.   Are they going to ship his body back?    You’ll get all his benefits won’t you?    You have a marriage license and all your ducks are in a row right.    The government can be strict about those things.”


“I’m pregnant!” she shouted breaking her brother from his rant.


“Oh sis.” He told her hugging her tightly.  


He really felt for his sister, he hadn’t even told her that he was leaving town.    What would she do with a baby?   His mother wasn’t ready to become a grandma.   Although she would have help from the government.    She would be alright, she would have all the money that she needed to take care of it.


Debbie Novotny was very proud of herself.    At first she was going to tell her brother, but she knew that he would keep her secret, but after a while he would convince her that what she was doing was wrong and before it all was over she would tell the truth.   No this was something that she could do.    She had already gone down to the DMV and totally legally changed her name to Debbie Novotny.     She would decline all of the benefits from the government, besides she didn’t have this marriage license and her marriage would be declared illegal because of her age.    So perfect, she had just got a little job at as a waitress at this little diner that had opened up on Liberty Avenue.    She would be okay, when her mom sent her packing she had put things into place to take care of herself.    She could do this no worries.


She was on her way.   She didn’t know if or when her parents would make her leave but she and her baby would be fine.    She had fooled Vic with her story, and he normally looks for a problem with everything.   Maybe it was because he was so in love with his new beau Henry that he didn’t have time to worry about if she was lying or not.    The guy was dead, and maybe it was wrong with using his death, but it was perfect as well.   He didn’t have any family and no one would be looking for him.   It was perfect, what was the worst that could happen.


Her family was devastated when she told them the news, they understood why she would decline benefits, and they promised to help her in any way.    She was happy, she was going to have a baby, and no one would have to know the secret of her baby’s father, even he was happy.    No one ever saw the retraction in the paper about the mix up in the photographs in the paper.   Turns out that the photo labeled as Michael Novotny was really a Peter Mcgregor, and Michael Novotny was a young black man from a town once over.   He left behind a mother, a father, and a younger brother.    Debbie was too busy planning her future to see that in the paper.


 


End Notes: I know I know another story.   I think we should just be happy that folks are keeping the fandom going.   Sure I have tons of stories, but I am doing well with my updating as of late and I’m even managing to give u something new once and a while.   Here’s something new me and my guy are working on.   I have another story but I’m not going to post that one until it’s finished.   More to come of this one today.

Chapter 2 by Galesgal

Chapter 2: Meet Mike

Arthur James was nervous.    He had been parked outside of Red Cape Comics for the last hour contemplating on going inside.    His future was inside of there and he didn’t know if or how to face it.   You see about 31 years ago I was a completely different man.    My name was Michael Novotny, and I went away to fight an awful war.    Three months in and I died, the thing is three months later I woke up.   The only thing was I woke up as a new man.

Arthur James was the name that I’ve had ever since then, but the flashes started.    The flashes started and then the memories.    My name wasn’t Arthur, my name was Michael.    I told my wife, and then we began looking into things, but then she fell ill, and she was what was important.   I wanted to spend all the time that she had left with her and our daughter.   Now she was gone, but she had told him that he needed to do this.   He had explained they would understand, but he didn’t remember her.   He thought maybe he had an English class with her, but then he perfectly understood why there love would be kept a secret, it wall all a bit taboo back then right?    Now he sat outside this store, waiting for the next chapter of his life.   All he had to do was grow some balls and go take it.

                                                                                  

*E*

Justin and Brian were trying to work on this month’s issue of Rage, but they were constantly being distracted by a newly unemployed Brian.    It wasn’t that either one of the men had a problem with him.   They knew they were pretty much to of the people in town that loved him the most, it was just that he was being quite the nuisance and they could hardly get any work done.

“Mikey do you owe anybody money?” Brian asked from his perch by the window.

“No.” he replied.

“There’s this huge black guy parked outside, he’s been out here for the last hour.   Twice he’s gotten out and headed this way, only to turn around.”

“Where?” Justin asked rising up to join his lover.

“Right there, seeing him.   He’s very nice looking for an enforcer, but he’s more than capable of beating the shit out of both of us I’m sure Justin can get away.    He has youth on his side.”

“You’re racial profiling Brian, that’s not fair.   Maybe he just wants to buy comics, and he doesn’t know how to approach us.”

“It’s a comic book store Michael. You pretty much come in and you buy comics.   Another thing, all the comic books in the world, why come to one off of liberty?    You didn’t see this guy when he stepped out of his car.   He could clearly pick you up and beat me with you.   Sunshine, you’ll get away you have youth on your side.” He joked.

“That’s not funny, but Michael you should really take a look at this guy.    I mean he’s huge, and kind of hot for an old guy.    Do you know him?” Justin asked calling his friend to the window.

Michael decided to humor his friends and go and take a look at the window.    It was true, just at that moment the guy gets out and leans against his SVU.    He’s looking at the shop intently, then all of a sudden he turns his head to one side.

“Oh shit he saw us!    Now he’s going to come in and murder us!” Michael squeaked.

“Oh God Michael will you listen to yourself, that guy isn’t thinking about us.    He probably just lost.    If he comes in just act normal.” Brian told him.

“Here he comes.” Replied Justin how hadn’t taken his eyes from the window.

 

*E*

Mike wondered if the trio inside the store thought they were being sneaky.    Didn’t they realize that from where he was standing he could see each and every time they had come and casually looked out the window?     Then again, he guessed that he must’ve been looking pretty suspicious standing out there all day.    It was now or never.    He exited his car, and approached the store.

The store was quite bigger than it looked from the outside.   The building seem to move a little deeper as you entered.   It also had a top floor.   It made him proud, maybe his son was doing quite well for himself. 

“Welcome to Red Cape Comics, may I help you?” Michael asked from behind the counter.

“I’m ashamed to say that I don’t know that much about comics, but I’m hoping to change that soon.   I’m looking for Michael Novotny? He asked as he began to look at the three men deeply.

“Oh I’m Michael welcome to my store.” Michael replied holding out his hand to shake.

“I know that’s it’s going to be hard to believe this, and you are going to have so many questions that I can’t answer, but my name is Michael Novotny, and I’m your father.

No matter how Justin tried he couldn’t close his mouth after that revelation.   He was the two gentleman as they began to stare it other with wonder.   It was quite touching, he wondered what was going on in their heads, but he couldn’t concentrate because his lover couldn’t stop laughing hysterically.

 

 

 

 

 

This story archived at https://midnightwhispers.net/viewstory.php?sid=3621