BROKEN ANGEL by Moonshadow Woman
FeatureSummary:

pngFEATURED STORY FOR JULY, 2013

jpg

 

What if Justin's brain damage from the bashing was more severe --- In this story Brian's love is shown for the young man he needs in his life


Categories: QAF-U.S. FICTION, BEST FAN FICTION CLASSIC, FEATURED STORY, Brian/Justin Characters: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 38582 Read: 139228 Published: October 20, 2010 Updated: July 24, 2013
Story Notes:

OMG - yes I'm actually adding something new

THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WONDERFUL VIDEO MAKERS OUT THERE ON UTUBE - YOU INSPIRE ME

1. Chapter 1 by Moonshadow Woman

2. Chapter 2 by Moonshadow Woman

3. Chapter 3 by Moonshadow Woman

4. Chapter 4 by Moonshadow Woman

5. Chapter 5 by Moonshadow Woman

6. Chapter 6 by Moonshadow Woman

7. Chapter 7 by Moonshadow Woman

Chapter 1 by Moonshadow Woman

Broken Angel – 1

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

I wonder what happened? Why can’t I open my eyes? Why don’t I really care? The thoughts rolled through Justin’s mind over and over before he drifted back into darkness.

Brian, who had been watching through the observation window that let him see into Justin’s room, relaxed. It hadn’t been much, but he could tell that the boy was sleeping now and not comatose. He sighed and sat back in the hard chair, his long legs stretched out, not caring if he was blocking the corridor. It was the middle of the night and other than the night janitor and Sophie the nurse in charge, he was alone with his thoughts.

It was better to be here, drifting in an out of sleep while he watched over the boy who had broken through his barriers. Had he been braver, he’d have lain beside him and cradled his broken head, infusing his lover with his sense of will. But he was a coward and all he could do was come to the hospital night after night like some kind of vampire who would slink home when dawn approached.

“He’s doing better, our Broken Angel.” Sophie said as she handed Brian a coffee. Not the crap that was in the lunchroom, but something better she brought from home. “They’re moving him tomorrow to one of the extended care rooms.”

“That doesn’t make any sense.” Brian stood up, moving closer to the window. “He’s only just come out of the coma.”

“He’s out of it, but he…. “ she hesitated. “He isn’t out of the woods yet, Hun.” She put her hand on Brian’s back. “I’m afraid it’s going to be a long time before he is and his parents, well they don’t have him covered with their insurance now. He won’t be able to get the same care.”

“Why in hell isn’t he covered?” the words were hissed in anger. Brian leaned his forehead against the cold glass. “His father owns the freaking company where he works.”

“It’s the insurance carrier. It happens all the time. Family coverage is only until the child reaches the age of 18 but can continue if they are in school. In Justin’s case, well I’m afraid this Broken Angel won’t be attending school for some time, if ever.”

Brian didn’t want to ask, but he had to form the words. “Why?” It was three months since the day his world had turned upside down. Three months of endless nights watching over Justin. “I thought he was improving. My friends said he’s up, even sitting in a chair during the day.”

“He is.” She looked sad and turned away. “I’m afraid that’s all he does. And Brian, he’s had no visitors other than yourself for a week now. I think it’s just too heartbreaking for his friends and family. “ She paused. “Brian, you need to see for yourself. There’s no point in these midnight vigils. Nothing is going to change any time soon…. maybe never.”

“No one?” Brian wasn’t sure what he was hearing so he ignored her pessimism.  He’d talked to Mikey earlier, nothing was mentioned about Justin and come to think of it, his friend hadn’t mentioned the blond for some time.

For the first time since he’d been watching over Justin, Brian entered the hospital room. “Hey there Brat.” He smoothed back sleep tossed blond hair. With the hall lights shining, almost hallowing the boy in the bed, he did look like an Angel. Blond hair that begged to be touched. Now that he was close, he could see neglect. Nothing major, but Justin’s lips were dry and cracked, his hair needed washing and oddly enough there was even some blond stubble struggling to form a mustache and beard. He seethed inside as he reached for a small pot of Vaseline on the bed table.

“Hey Angel Boy, let me smooth some of this on, it’ll make your lips feel better.” The words were whispered but somehow heard by the boy in the bed. His eyes flickered open, unseeing, but open. Brian wasn’t sure, but he thought maybe Justin’s lips turned up in an almost there smile.

Brian, Brian’s here, he came into my room. I wonder if he can see me. Does he know I want to kiss him? I hate that I can’t wake up to the world, but it really is much nicer here in the clouds. Brian’s eyes look so sad. I love him. Justin sighed, his lips felt soft. He wanted a drink of water but knew no one would give him anything until morning.

Brian watched Justin for a few more minutes, not sure if he was doing the right thing, he put some ice water in a cup, added a straw and put the straw to the now glossy lips. He was rewarded with Justin drinking thirstily before sighing again, shutting his eyes and once more falling to sleep.

He sat beside the bed, holding Justin’s hand until sounds in the hallway told him it was morning. “I’ll be back, Angel Boy.” He bent and brushed his lips over Justin’s before stand up. He needed to find out why Justin wasn’t getting the care he should be.

“I’m sorry Mr. Kinney, but Justin is getting the best care we can give. We’re short staffed and he no longer needs our full attention. Which is why he’s been transferred to a ward that can better deal with brain damaged individuals.” The nurse tried to be kind, but frankly she didn’t like Brian’s attitude, not at the end of a rather long shift.

Brian nodded his acknowledgement of her words. She’d been kind enough to let him stay all these nights. He’d thought he’d been watching over Justin, but he was as bad as Justin’s family and friends and Justin was suffering for it.  He’d let the hospital machine grind on, under the impression that it was the best for Justin. He’d let his friends hide the facts of Justin’s recovery or non-recovery from their everyday conversations. Letting them think they were protecting his sensitive nature. Brian huffed at that thought. It had been easier ignoring the gang’s conversations the way things had developed since the night of the bashing. And it was a bashing no matter what the asshole jock was spouting to anyone who would listen.  It was time to do something.

“Hey Brian.” Kiki looked up from the paper she was reading. The diner was uncharacteristically empty of patrons.  “I just put a fresh pot of coffee on. Long night or early morning?” she asked, not really expecting an answer. Brian looked like he always did, distantly gorgeous. She poured him a mug of coffee.

“Thanks Kiki.” He smiled almost shyly at the startled waitress. “I needed that. Can you wake up the cook? I’d like the breakfast special.” He looked around. “I kind of like the quietness of the place at this hour. Maybe I should make this a habit.” He laughed and taking his coffee, settled into his usual booth at the back. It was familiar and he needed to think about what he was going to do next.

Brian had almost finished his breakfast when the door to the diner opened and Debbie walked in.  She looked at Brian and then at the clock on the back wall and then back at Brian. “Late night Sweetie?” she asked as she slid into the booth. “You really should try and get some sleep. Dancing and drinking aren’t good for you.”

Brian tipped his almost empty coffee mug at her as if offering a toast. “Hey Deb, long time no see.”

“It’s six in the morning, I’m starting my shift. You’re never here this early.”

“Never is a long time.” He answered cryptic as usual.

“Have you been to see Justin yet?” she asked. All of the gang were concerned that Brian had somehow shut himself off from the boy he obviously cared about. “He’s been in that damned hospital three months.”

“Have you visited lately?” Brian returned. “And it’s been three months, four days, and he looked at the clock. “Six hours. But who the fuck is counting?” he stood up, threw some money on the table. “It’s been a slice, Deb.” He said before walking out.

It was too early to do much more than go to the loft and shower. It was a workday and he’d been getting by on only a few hours sleep each day, usually in the evenings before he headed for the hospital. Today wasn’t going to be any different.

Entering his loft, Brian relaxed. He hadn’t realized just how tense he’d been. He looked toward the bedroom but sat on his sofa, picking up one of Justin’s school texts that still sat on the coffee table. Leafing through it, he smiled as each page turned. In the margins of the book were drawings, doodles as Justin called them, of his classmates, his teacher, a bird or two probably from outside the classroom window, and of course Brian in one form or another, body parts that is. There were even a few Taylor-Kinney’s sprinkled with Kinney-Taylor’s here and there. He knew when the class had ended for the boy, for the doodles stopped, as did the rest of the world.

Nobody talks to me anymore. I’m being moved, I can tell. They sat me in a wheelchair, piled the few things of mine on my lap and off we go. I wonder if Brian will be able to find me. I wonder if I’ve been moved before because no one ever finds me except Brian. I fucking hate wearing hospital shit. I want to escape back into the real world so bad I sometimes feel I’m going to explode. Why can’t I talk? Why can’t I move unless someone moves me? Did I die? Is this some kind of first stage of Hell? All this was going through Justin’s mind as he was wheeled down hallways and into an elevator.

 

Brian stared at the woman in personnel for a moment before saying. “Let me get this straight. I can’t just add him to my medical package unless he’s my partner. And he can’t be my partner because he is considered incompetent due to the brain injury.”

“That’s right, but you could add him if you were his guardian. He’s eighteen, and of legal age, but the incompetent part means that if he was your ward, he’d be like family. It could work. I’d just need to send the documents stating you were appointed his guardian by the court.” She’d never seen Mr. Kinney so depressed before. He had always been nice to her and she hated to disappoint him.

“Thanks Sandra, I’ll just have to see what I can do about becoming Justin’s guardian.”

“My brother is a lawyer who specializes in family law. I can give him a call and set up an appointment.” She offered.

“I’d like that. See if he has some time free today.” Brian walked out the door, his mind whirling as he tried to come up with some logical explanation as to why he wanted Justin’s parents to hand over their son.

Later that afternoon, Brian walked into the foyer of an old Pittsburgh mansion from the days of the steel barons. “Mr. Kinney, Jimmy is expecting you.” He was greeted by a stately looking woman in her early thirties. “I’m Vanessa, his wife, receptionist, assistant, and mother of his children.” She giggled making her change from intimidating WASP to regular woman. “Sandra said it was important, so I made Jimmy dress up like a lawyer, he's in the garden.”

“Mr. Kinney.”  A man about five foot eight and slightly chubby, opened up a door just off the foyer. He flushed with pleasure when his wife bent and brushed some lint off of his Armani suit before kissing him on the nose. “You’ve met my receptionist, she’s far too familiar with me.” He teased, smacking her gently on the ass.

“Now Jimmy dear, be good and I’ll bring the two of you some fresh lemonade. The children will be home from school soon, so try not to be long.”

“Unusual business office.” Brian drawled. He was led into a tastefully decorated office, complete with an antique carved cherry wood desk and deep leather chairs. The library like walls were filled with leather bound law books looking almost out of place among the child like crafts that shared the shelves.

“Well, it’s more my home than an office. My law practice isn’t my main source of income. I usually only take client referrals from friends or family. That is if the case appeals to me. I’m an artist. I work in glass, blown, stained, fried in my kilns – glass.”

“Interesting.” It was then that Brian began to notice evidence of the man’s work scattered through the room. But what drew his attention was a framed sketch he recognized. It was a sketch of Molly and two friends lounging at the side of a pool.

“That’s why I agreed to talk. Justin Taylor did that sketch last summer. It’s his sister and my sister and cousin. When I saw it for sale at a fundraiser, I had to have it. Melinda, my sister was killed a week after that scene took place. Justin caught all the magic of the day. It was the last time I saw her.”

“He has talent.” Brian refused to think that Justin’s talent was gone along with everything else. “Now about my little problem.”

Two hours later, three glasses of lemonade and half a dozen finger sandwiches each, the two men had pulled together a plan.

The meeting with his new lawyer had gone well. Brian took a liking to the man immediately and knew they could be friends as well as have a business arrangement.

“I’ll have the necessary paper work drawn up and we’ll notify the Taylors. I’ll have Vanessa make the appointment for tomorrow if possible.”

“You work fast.” Brian grinned.

“I can’t imagine what it’s like for you, but I know I’d move heaven and earth to look after Nessie’s interests if the same thing had happened.” He patted Brian’s shoulder offering support. “This is only going to be the beginning, you realize that. I mean we’ll win this, but you’ve got a long row to hoe.”

“Does it really matter?” Brian asked with a shrug. He smiled and walked out to his jeep. It was too late to go back to work and he didn’t want to deal with the gang at the diner, so for once he thought he might as well go visit Justin when the boy was awake. But first he had to pick up a few things to make his Angel Boy a tad more comfortable.

Justin was miserable. He sat in a chair beside his bed because that’s where he’d been put. The room smelled and the noises made his head hurt. All he could do was stare straight ahead, the only thing he could control was his eyelids and these he kept determinedly shut whenever possible. It was like he was trapped in some kind of zoo. The other animals, some so old he was sure they were dead and some so young it made his heart ache as they moaned and drooled and generally irritated him. What bothered him the most was the number of people in the room with him. He was terrified of so many in such close quarters. Why was he in a room with other people? Why didn’t he have his own room? Where was his mother, his father, even Debbie and gang would at least give him something to think about? But the biggest question of all, was why the fuck couldn’t he make his voice work? If he could walk and shit and piss, eat and drink when told to, why the fuck couldn’t he do it without being told?

Brian walked into the ward, his face impassive as he walked past the beds, ignoring the occupants. His anger at what he smelled and saw was without bounds, but he betrayed nothing. It would take time to do something for his Broken Angel.  Justin was sitting in a chair trembling, his eyes closed.

“Hey.” He said, throwing the bags he carried on a bed that had to be Justin’s, before bending to kiss softened but dry lips. “Nice to see you awake, but this room sure as fuck sucks and not in a good way.” He was rewarded with just a glimmer of response in Justin’s eyes, before they closed again.

“So you think if you close your eyes, it’ll all go away?” Brian snorted. “You aren’t a cat Angel Boy, but we can make things better all around.” Brian reached for one of the bags and pulled out three pairs of sweat pants and three hoodies. “I figured I’d get hoodies, ‘cause I know you’re always cold. I like the blue one best, but they’re all not bad. Let me help you out of that crap they have you wearing.” Brian wasn’t sure if he was doing the right thing, but what he’d read on the internet about Justin’s type of injury, had given him a few ideas.

He put his hand on the boy’s elbow and pulled up, almost surprised when Justin stood up. It wasn’t long before he had him changed into something more pleasing to the eye than the faded cast offs the boy had been wearing. Where the fuck were Justin’s clothes, surely to gawd one of the family could have brought them here went through Brian’s mind. “I bought those ugly wooly socks you like and a pair of slippers.” Brian put them on Justin’s feet.

“Sir, I’m sorry sir, but the patients are not allowed to wear their own clothing. We don’t have the resources to launder it. I’m afraid Justin is going to have to dress in what we provide.”

Brian looked at the orderly who had spoken and glared. “Fuck that. Justin will wear what I bring him. I’ll make sure his laundry gets done. I have pajamas for him and a robe, as well as everything else he might need for three days. I’ll make sure his things are kept clean.”

“Sir, the patient will be here for a considerable time, perhaps years. No doubt your intentions are good, but experience has proven this type of thing just doesn’t last and we are stuck with dealing with clothing that isn’t suitable for institutionalized laundry facilities.” The man was trying to be kind in his reasoning with the handsome but slightly pissed off man in front of him.

“Justin will be out of here soon. Let me worry about his clothing and you worry about the rest of these people.” Brian’s arm swept the room. “It looks like they could use the attention. Justin is doing fine with me.”

The orderly had better things to do than argue with Justin Taylor’s visitor. He’d come back later and make things right.

“Justin, I’m not sure how much you understand, but I want you to know, I’ve made a decision. You can’t stay in a place like this. It’s apparent that you aren’t getting the care you need. It’s an insurance thing, I’m sure your parent’s are doing their best. I’m working with a lawyer, Jimmy Dobson, you’d like him, to have me appointed as your guardian. It’ll only be until you come back to us. I promise not to make you my love slave.” A flash of the old Justin’s sense of humor showed for the briefest moment in blue eyes that quickly closed again.

Brian came, he brought clothes, he’s such a softy. I like that he talks to me. No one talks to me. I bet Brian knows I’m really here. I bet he knows I’m trapped. My mom is going to shit when Brian tries this guardian thing. My dad won’t care though. I like Brian here, it isn’t so scary. I don’t even mind when he touches me. I fucking hate being touched.

“I brought you something else.” Brian was now sitting in a chair he’d dragged over from beside one of the other beds. “I brought you a lemon square.” He unwrapped the sweet confection and broke off a piece. “Here, open up.” Justin obediently opened his mouth to receive what was offered. “Now eat it all, you’re too thin. I suspect the food here sucks like everything else in this place.”

Justin wanted to tell him that it wasn’t the food so much as the fact he had no appetite. The lemon square was amazing, it brought back a flood of memories and he closed his eyes, the better to live when there was no pain, no being trapped inside himself.

Brian stayed with Justin until well after the boy had been put to bed. He’d made sure that Justin was showered, hair washed and body clean before putting on his new pajamas. He watched and questioned the medication given to the blond, writing down the names and dosage to look up later when he was home. The fact that Justin’s mother didn’t visit or any of his friends didn’t go unnoticed.

Later sitting in the back booth of the diner, Brian sipped coffee and ate a sandwich while he thought of what he was going to do. He was thirty years old, had a good job, made better than average money, had a decent sized savings account and portfolio, but he was by no means wealthy enough for what Justin needed. He would be someday, but not now.  For now he was going to need to use all the inventiveness only someone of his background could come up with.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Mr. Dobson, I will not sign anything giving my son to that pervert Kinney.” Craig Taylor glared at both the lawyer and the man in question.

Brian and Jimmy were both dressed impeccably in Armani, perfectly groomed. Jennifer Taylor said nothing.

“Mr. Taylor, Mrs. Taylor, I’ll give you a few minutes to rethink your decision. And then I will release to the press, the information that the beautiful boy who was bashed, now lives in extended care, in a state facility. He is given minimal care and has basically been forgotten by his family.”

“That’s not true.” Jennifer exclaimed. “I love my son, I haven’t forgotten him. It just hurts so much to see him so… so…. blank.” She looked at Brian. “Mr. Kinney, are you doing this for Justin because you feel guilty? I mean it was you who turned him. Who deliberately provoked the man who hit him.”

“Mrs. Taylor, Justin is who he is, it had nothing to do with me. I also can’t be responsible for someone’s hatred and what he does with it.  I care for Justin. I can’t abandon him to the system just because you no longer have insurance coverage.  You, your family, have the resources to care for him at home, yet you aren’t. Fine, I can understand in a way why you don’t. You’re just beginning your career and have a young girl to consider.  Mr. Taylor, you have no excuse other than you’re a homophobic prick. I understand that as well. But Justin needs someone to talk for him. He can’t do it for himself now. No one has to know about this arrangement. Not your friends and family, or mine. It will between all of us in this room.”

“I’ll sign the papers.” Jennifer said. “Craig, you might as sign them as well. Mr. Kinney has always had Justin’s back. I can see that he cares for him.” She reached over and placed her signature in all the spots indicated before passing the papers over to her soon to be ex husband.

Craig glared, began to sputter something, and then with a sigh, signed the papers as well. Without a word he stood up and left the room. Jennifer looked at Brian, tears in her eyes, “Take care of him and love him.”

“I will.” Brian replied. He still couldn’t understand why he was doing what he was. It made no sense when you sat down and thought about it. But in his heart, he knew it was the right thing to do. And if he was truthful to himself, he loved Justin unconditionally, just as the blond had loved him. They had never had a wedding, that shit was for heteros and lesbians, but he knew the vows he’d silently taken the night Justin was bashed, were real. For better or worse, in sickness and in health. Well this qualified.

The next day, Jimmy registered Brian’s guardianship of Justin with the courts and began to go through and set up the man’s will and his assets. He also called in a favor from a friend of his, one of the strongest court litigators in Pittsburgh. Who in turn began proceedings in civil court to sue Chris Hobbs and his parents on Justin’s behalf.

While Jimmy was busy doing that, Brian was making a few arrangements of his own. He still found time to stop in at the hospital before work and make sure Justin was washed and dressed properly. To kiss him on his forehead, to put lip balm on his lips and to settle him in a chair by the window so that he couldn’t see the rest of the occupants of the room.

Brian was here when the sun came into the room. He was standing by my bed. I know I smiled at him, but my lips wouldn’t move, but I smiled in my heart. He kissed me the way he kisses Gus. It wasn’t what I wanted, but was better than nothing. He brought me breakfast and watched while I ate. He brought me a latte. The fog in my head still keeps me jailed inside, but I’m remembering more, more about Brian and more about the last few weeks before whatever happened. It’s the time thing that bothers me the most. One minute I’m sitting, the next I’m in bed and lights out and then I’m sitting again. Did time pass, or did I just imagine it?

Brian decided that he needed to make things clear to Melanie and Lindsay regarding their never-ending money requests. He needed every dollar now for Justin’s expenses. It wouldn’t be forever, but it would be until Jimmy could wring some money out of the Hobbes family.

“Brian, I wasn’t expecting you.” Lindsay said as she opened the door.

“I need to talk to you and your hubby about a few things.” He said stepping through. He picked Gus out of her arms and kissed his son, making both of them smile.

“Mel left for work about ten minutes ago. You just missed her. I have coffee.” She headed into the kitchen.

“None for me, I have a meeting in half an hour.” Brian sat down at the table, the baby still in his arms. “Have you been to see Justin lately?”

“Not for a week or two, it’s just too depressing.” Lindsay shook her head. “He was so alive, always smiling, always….. well alive.” She sighed. “Now it’s like he’s there but not there. The doctors told his mother that with brain injuries, once the healing is done, you just have to accept what’s left.”

“What a load of crap. Have they taken him to any specialists?” Brian asked.

“I suppose they have. I mean there are neurologists here in Pittsburgh. I imagine they’ve looked at Justin’s case.” Lindsay shrugged. “It’s a shame though what’s happened to him.” She looked at her son. “You miss your babysitter don’t you Gus?” her words were cooed and Brian winced. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I want you to know that I’ll never let Gus do without, but I won’t be able to just hand over cash every time you want something. It has to be important for Gus. I’m short of money right now and no doubt will be for awhile.”

“But Brian, we never ask for anything unless it’s important.” Lindsay began.

“I looked through my checks for the last few months Linds. You guys average more than a thousand a month for one thing or another. Considering you don’t want me to have anything to do with my son, I think that’s a pretty healthy chunk of change. It has to stop. Your hubby makes good money.” He stood up, kissed Gus on the cheek. “I’ve got to go.” He handed over his son to the speechless blond.

“Brian, if you’re having problems at work.” Lindsay began following her friend to the door.

“Work is just fine. Later Linds.” Satisfied that he had the answers to some of his questions, Brian headed to his workday.

Lunchtime came and went, Brian had successfully brought in another client and was working on his next proposal when his long time friend Michael walked in.

“Hey Mikey, I’m busy, who let you in?” Brian continued to type on his keyboard.

“Lindsay called Ma and told her you aren’t going to give her any more money.”

“Lindsay has a big mouth.” Brian continued to work. “I’ll never let Gus want for anything.” He looked up at Michael. “Hey Mikey, have you been to the hospital lately to see Justin?”

“Na, I’m too busy. He doesn’t need me visiting, we never did get along. Besides, it’s creepy. I mean he just sits there like some kind of zombie. Ma goes sometimes and Uncle Vic says he’d go but he hates hospitals, you know from when he was stuck in one for weeks. I think his friend goes, but she has school. I don’t imagine she can get there much. Does it really matter, I mean he’s never going to know one way or another.”

“Not much of a friend to him.” Brian looked at Michael.

“You should talk, you’ve never been there. Hell, if it wasn’t for you fucking him all the time, he’d probably never been bashed.” Michael knew he shouldn’t have spoken as soon as the words left his mouth.

“GET – THE – FUCK – OUT – OF – MY – OFFICE.” Brian’s voice was a low roar.

Michael knew better than to say anything and he quickly retreated. Brian would get over what ever it was that was bothering him. Maybe he’d call later and they could go to Babylon or something. He hadn’t seen him there for some time.

Brian needed to free up some time to interview someone to stay with Justin during the day. Someone who could take him to therapy and make sure he was comfortable and happy until Brian could come home. It was temporary having Justin at the loft, but it was the best he could do for now. He was about to call an agency that had been recommended when he had another visitor.

“Brian, a Miss Chanders is here to see you.”

“Send her in, and Cynthia, Michael is no longer allowed in. See that security is made aware.”

Cynthia had worked with Brian for years, first as his secretary and now as his assistant. He’d come to rely on her and she on him. She knew he was bothered by something more than just what had happened more than three months before. She knew Brian Kinney far better than his so called friends and family. She knew him almost as well as Justin had. “You can go in Miss Chanders. He’s a bit of a bear, but he doesn’t really mean it.”

“I know, he’s kind of sweet.” Daphne smiled as she headed for Brian’s office. “Hey Brian.” She said as she went around his desk to give him a kiss on his cheek. “You were at the hospital this morning. I could tell Justin was more calm than he usually is and you put some cool sweats on him.”

“You see Justin?”

“I go every day if I can. I wanted to let you know I’m going to Harvard next week. I’m starting premed. I’m going to be a neurologist eventually.”

“Because of Justin’s brain injury?” Brian asked.

“Kind of. I mean I knew I was going to be a doctor, but I wasn’t sure what kind. Now with Justin, you know, kind of out of it, I have to see if I can help somehow.” She wiped away a tear that had escaped.

Brian led her to the sofa in his office and sat down beside her. “I’d do the same thing if I was in your position. Is there anything I can do to help?”

“I hate to leave Justin. I mean I told him. I’ve talked to him about it for weeks now, but it’s not the same as actually being gone. I just wanted to make sure that he was going to be okay. I was hoping you’d let me know how he was doing.”

“I can do that.” Brian was silent for a moment. “Daphne, this is between you and I. I have guardianship over Justin right now. His parents signed the papers yesterday. I’m going to take him out of that pit he’s in and get him the right kind of care. He needs therapy of some kind and he needs to be with people who care about him.”

Daphne threw herself in Brian’s arms and began to cry. “Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was so worried.”

“As soon as I can find someone to stay with him during the day, he’s out of there.”

“I kind of know someone. I mean he’s old but he’s really good with people like Justin. He looked after his wife for years before she died and now he’s kind of lonesome and lost. Justin even knows him ‘cause he’s a neighbor of ours. We used to go and visit him and Amy his wife all the time. She had MS, it was really sad.”

“How do you know he’d do it?”

“I don’t know, but I think he would. It’s not like he’s doing anything else. He retired from the Marines a zillion years ago, like Vietnam years ago and they didn’t recall him because he had a leg amputated the last time he was in the service.”

“From what I hear, that might not stop them. They’re running out of cannon fodder.” He sighed. “Okay, talk to him. I’d rather it was someone Justin knows. He’s had enough trauma. I think he hates it when anyone unfamiliar is close to him and I know he doesn’t like to be touched by anyone other than me and then only if he sees me before I touch him.”

“I noticed he doesn’t like to be touched. It’s something in his eyes.” She sounded sad and Brian gave her a quick hug. “I want to do something to that homophobic asshole so he has to suffer like Justin is. I wish there was someway it could happen. He barely got a slap on the wrist from the judge.”

“Don’t worry, it’ll come back and bite him in the ass eventually.” It was an uncharacteristically mild comment from Brian, but he didn’t want anyone to know that he and Jimmy were planning on suing the Hobbes, even Daphne.

“Thanks for listening Brian.” Daphne stood up and then leaned down and kissed Brian’s cheek. “Oh, I have this for you. It’s a picture someone took at the dance of you and Justin. I thought you’d like to have it.” She handed him a picture that was taken just before they kissed and showed all the love the both of them had for each other.

“Thanks Daphne.” Brian continued to sit long after Daphne had left his office, his eyes on the picture in his hand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brian, I want Brian, will he come today? Will my mother come? I hate the smells in here. I hate when the nurses touch me without even asking. I want to go home. I want to go with Brian. Why can’t I talk, why can’t I do things for myself?

When Brian walked into the ward later that night. Justin was wearing a different pair of sweats than the ones he’d dressed him in earlier in the day. Standing beside him, brushing the hair out of Justin’s eyes was a tall, thin, ramrod straight, man, whose baldhead gleamed in the evening light. He was dressed in well-worn fatigues. He turned to Brian and said. “CPO Samuel Jones reporting for duty.” And then grinned a grin that lit up his whole face. “Justin always called me Chief. I’m here for the duration, no matter how long it is. We’ll have our boy back one day.”

Brian knew then that he’d found the right person to help him.  “I’m Brian Kinney, Justin’s guardian and friend. I’d like to talk to you about what I’ve planned for now. I think Justin should hear it as well, after all it involves him.”

“I agree, no matter how Justin’s brain is perceiving things at the moment, one day he may remember this conversation.”

With Justin sitting in his chair, the two men quickly hashed out a plan for the next few weeks. It would take at least that long for more permanent arrangements to be made. The most important thing to both Brian and the Chief was to get Justin out of the situation he was now in.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Three weeks later, Brian strolled into the diner. He was tired, but it was a good tired. He’d been putting in 60-hour weeks at work. As a result, he’d earned two good bonus checks that he’d put to good use immediately. Justin and Chief would be pleased when he showed them what his hard work had earned.

“Brian honey, you look tired.” Deb patted her surrogate son on the cheek. “I’ll bring you a coffee. Are you here for dinner?”

“Yes, I’ll have whatever the special is, hold the grease.” Brian sat in his usual booth at the back, barely holding back a sigh. He sipped his coffee and stared off in the distance. The last three weeks had been satisfying in so many ways. The best one being that he slept each night with Justin in his bed. Oh, not the way they used to sleep, that wouldn’t happen for a long time. But just having the blond curled up on the other side of the bed sleeping peacefully was enough for now. Being able to reach over and touch him kept him sane.

“Brian, where’ve you been?” Emmett slid into the both opposite his friend. “I never see you in the clubs these days.”

“I work Em, it’s been a busy few weeks.” Brian looked at his friend. “Have you seen Justin lately?” he wondered if anyone knew that his blond boyfriend had disappeared from the hospital.

“No, it’s the strangest thing, I stopped by about three weeks ago and the hospital said he was gone. Gone where I asked, I mean he couldn’t just vanish. No one had a clue. I called his mother and she said the same thing, he was gone.” Emmett looked around. “Could he have died and no one said anything? I didn’t want to ask. I know you and Justin were close, have you heard anything?”

“No, nothing.” Brian looked up as Deb brought his dinner and some for Emmett.

“I thought you could use some dinner too, Honey.” She smiled at her favorite customer.

“Thanks Deb. You don’t, by any chance, know where Justin Taylor is, do you?” Emmett asked. “Brian and I were just talking about him.”

“It’s so sad. His mother just says he’s gone. She and Molly moved to Atlanta last week. I don’t know what Craig is up to, but I’m sure he doesn’t have Justin. I’m almost afraid that perhaps he died and no one is saying anything.”

“If Justin had died, I’m sure all of Liberty Avenue would know.” Brian drawled. “You two have too much time on your hands.”

“Hey Ma,” Michael breezed through the door. “Brian, what are you doing here?”

“Eating dinner Mikey, what does it look like?”

“I’ve gone to your place like a hundred times and you’re never home. Did you know my key doesn’t work? I think your lock is broken.”

“My lock works just fine. I had them changed. I found I was getting too much walk through traffic when I needed the peace and quiet to work. I rather enjoy working at home.”

“But you don’t answer the door.” Michael whined.

“No I don’t.” Brian finished his dinner, took a last sip of coffee and stood up. “Hey Deb, I’d like half a dozen lemon squares to go please.” 

“That’s a lot of lemon squares.” Deb said with a smile as she put them in a small white box. “You expecting company?”

“Not really, these are for a friend. Kind of a house warming gift.” Brian paid her, took the box and left the diner.

“He’s still pissed with me.” Michael looked dejected. “How was I to know he still had feelings for Justin?”

“Everyone knew he loved the boy.” Emmett shook his head. “You just didn’t see what the rest of us saw.”

“He never goes to Babylon anymore. I wonder where he goes. I think he’s avoiding us.”

“Brian’ll get over it, Honey.” Deb patted her son’s cheek. “He doesn’t give his heart easily and having things turn out the way they did, I’m surprised he’s doing as well as he is.”

“I think Justin's dead.” Michael shook his head. “Brian just won’t admit it.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Hey Chief, Justin, is the movie any good?” Brian stepped into his loft, not surprised to see Justin and his caretaker watching television.  He didn’t expect any kind of answer from Justin, but he now turned his head toward Brian when he came into the room. It wasn’t much, but it was more than before.

“Brian, you’re home early tonight.” Samuel Jones rose to his feet. “I’ve got a fresh pot of coffee on, I’ll get you a cup before I go.”

“Better yet, bring it to the table. I’ve got some great news. Everything went through and we’re moving. No more being cooped up inside these four walls. No more worry about unexpected visitors. The house cleared escrow and it’s all ours. What’s even better, my bonus tonight will let me take some time selling the loft. I’ll be able to get a better price if we take our time.”

“I’ll list my place tomorrow.” Samuel said with a smile. “It’ll be nice to finally get to the new house.”

Brian and Samuel had searched long and hard for just the right place to take Justin for his recovery. Finally finding it in a home in the country, complete with 5 acres of land, and a guesthouse that Samuel could live in. The property was fenced and gated, had a heated pool and a sunroom that could be used as a studio if Justin ever made it that far in his recovery. Brian had high hopes. But best of all as far as Brian was concerned, was the small woodland inside the gates and the brook that bubbled along in the south corner. It was a place of mystery and magic, guaranteed to give Justin something to use his imagination on. He couldn’t wait to takes walks with his blond; maybe have picnics by the brook.

“You know Sam, you don’t have to list your place.” Brian was constantly surprised by the genuine niceness of the other man in his life.

“I know I don’t Brian. But I’ve talked with Justin’s doctors too. I know he isn’t going to wake up tomorrow and be back to normal. I’m getting up there in years, and what do I need that big house for? I might as well sell it and let someone else enjoy the place. The little house will be ship shape in no time, just the way I like things.” It was one of the things Brian liked about the old man. Both of them liked to keep the loft immaculate and tidy. “I do think we should get our boy a dog though. He needs the contact and from what I’ve read, the unconditional devotion of a dog gives his person something to focus on.”

“I’ve read that too, but Sam, I’ve never had a dog. I wouldn’t know where to start looking.”

“I think we should let Justin pick one out. I thought maybe we could take him to the SPCA after we move into the house. The right dog will find him. As for you young man, a little bit of dog love wouldn’t hurt you either.”

“I suppose a dog for Justin would be okay. He’d live outside wouldn’t he?” Brian asked.

“Not likely, Brian.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A week later, Brian made a deal with the owner of the building where his loft was situated. He traded his loft on the fourth floor for a smaller one on the main floor. Because the house he’d bought was a forty-minute ride out of the city, he needed something for the winter days when he couldn’t make it home. The trade also gave him a profit of a hundred grand that he quickly put on the mortgage of the new house.

Of course, moving to the main floor had its problems, the main one being his family and friends. To get the whining over, he asked Emmett to help him move, knowing that in short order the whole gang would arrive.

“Brian, why are you moving down here?” Michael had arrived and was standing in the doorway to Brian’s new apartment. “This place is barely bigger than my old room at Ma’s.”

“Oh, I think it’s a bit larger than that Mikey.” Brian drawled, though he privately thought Michael wasn’t completely wrong.  At 450 square feet there wasn’t a lot of room. But it was comfortable and really all he needed right now. Luckily, his minimalist decorating made fitting his furniture in the smaller place relatively easy. He’d had a Murphy bed built in to one end of the room, his main splurge.  That way he could use the place as a meeting room, or office when he didn’t spend the night. Brian was considering going out on his own and beginning his own business, though not yet. He couldn’t afford it.

“It doesn’t make any sense Brian. I mean you’re always working. I don’t understand why you’d sell your big loft for something small like this.” Michael was baffled.

“I prefer to invest my money in other things. It’s not like this is going to be forever. Now stop bitching and help me get my stuff moved. I’ll even buy pizza and beer when we’re finished.”

The Chief is here a lot. I think he’s supposed to watch me. I wonder why we moved. I miss the loft but this house is nice. The Chief took me into all the rooms. I can’t believe there’s four bedrooms. I was scared at first that Brian wanted me to sleep alone but the Chief showed me my clothes in the closet and drawers in the main bedroom. I wish I could decorate it. I wish my damn head would start working. I know I’m a little bit better. I can smile now when I want to, which is all the time, because Brian soooooo loves me. It doesn’t matter much that no one else ever comes around.

 

 

Chapter 2 by Moonshadow Woman
Author's Notes:

The dog mentioned here is taken from a real dog and real circumstances – there are times when people should be put down.

Broken Angel – 2

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

 

It was six months to the day he’d first met his friend Jimmy Dobson when the man called. “Hey Big Guy, we have a settlement offer, a million and half. It isn’t as much as we might get if we take it to the courts, but better than nothing.”

“I agree, I don’t want Justin to have to appear in court. I know he’d hate everyone to see him like he is now. Sign the papers Jimmy and when the money shows, we’ll get together and invest it. He doesn’t need it right now.”

“But as his guardian you are entitled to use this money for Justin’s care.”

“Justin doesn’t need the money right now and neither do I. I want it set aside for future needs should it be required, you know in case something happens to me.”

“I thought you’d say that. I have a few suggestions for investment. And Brian, you should also make an update of your own financial affairs. I’d like to suggest myself and Nessie as Justin’s guardian should you have problems. Nessie and I have come to love that boy and you know the kids adore him.”

“That’s very generous of you Jimmy.” Brian sighed and brushed the hair off of his forehead; he could feel the beginnings of a headache. “I suppose I should do it.”

“Justin’s smiling now, that’s quite an accomplishment.”  Jimmy was almost as proud of the young man as Brian had been.

“He’s doing more than that. The other day I saw him moving his hand as if he was sketching. Sam’s spending time with him in the studio these days. Maybe one day soon he’ll be able to communicate with us through his art.”

“I understand that tomorrow is the big day to select a dog.” Jimmy laughed. “I thought you were getting one weeks ago.”

“The time didn’t seem right.” Brian sighed, “But the other day when Justin was looking kind of lost, I realized that for me the day would never come. I might as well bite the bullet and take him to the SPCA.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brian stopped in to see Gus before heading to the house for the weekend. He didn’t have a lot of time to spend with the toddler, but when he did, he treasured. “Hey there Gus.” He said as he swooped him up in his arms. “You’re getting to be quite the runner.” His son rarely walked, but ran everywhere, often resulting in bumps and bruises.

“Brian, how nice to see you. I wanted to ask you if you could have Gus for the weekend. Melanie and I have the chance for a weekend spa treatment. One of her clients has comp’d us the weekend at Chez Alice.”

“Some notice might be nice.” Brian drawled as he quickly reviewed how he was going to accomplish the weekend. He’d never taken Gus to the house in the country, but there was no reason why he shouldn’t. After all at his age, the kid couldn’t talk. His secret life would be safe. “You do know that my apartment isn’t the largest. I may go visit friends and take Gus with me.”

“Brian, I don’t know, I….” Lindsay didn’t know what to say.

“Linds, Gus is my son, I’m hardly going to do something inappropriate. Gus will be fine; you can call me on my cell. Get his bags ready, we’ll leave now.”

“Where do you go on the weekends, you’re never home.” She began.

“I’m home every weekend. In fact that’s usually the only place I am.” Brian laughed.

“You never answer your phone on the weekends. And I’ve stopped over quite a number of times, you never answer your door and you refuse to give anyone a key.” Her words were spit out as if they accusations.

“Linds, you know if there was a problem with Gus I’d be there in a second. I always listen to my phone messages. I’ve found that since I’ve reached thirty, I need the weekends to regroup. You do know I spend 60 hours a week working. It takes a lot out of me.”

“You’re working that many hours?” she asked.

“I need the money Linds. I need to keep ahead of all the young guys out there who would like nothing better than to one up me. Ask around, ask any of your friends, ask your wife, who by the way works just as hard as I do. Just what's required to make your mark in business.”

“I’m sorry, I was just used to having more access to you. But ever since… well ever since Justin was bashed and then… well when he died or disappeared, no one has seen you. We worry about you Brian.”

“Don’t worry about me. I’m doing okay. I’m not the man I used to be. That Brian Kinney grew up with the crack of a bat.”

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Justin sat on the porch swing. It was one of his favorite places to sit. The Chief seemed to know, because every morning that was halfway decent, and he performed the exercises that seemed to make the old man content and after he’d eaten his breakfast, he was taken to the porch for two hours of sitting and rocking. He loved the swing and being able to be part of the outside. It was almost like being part of the world around him. He could imagine himself as an oak tree, standing tall, head nodding like a bunch of daisies. He could live in the colors, the hundreds of shades of green touched with blobs of lively color. It was here his fingers began to itch for the feel of a paintbrush or the solid comfort of a sketching pencil.

Saturday morning Brian strolled onto the porch; in his arms was Gus, the toddler babbling some story that made Brian smile. “Hey there Angel Boy, I have someone who is anxious to see you.” He placed Gus on Justin’s lap, pleased when the blonds’ arms automatically closed over the boy holding him safely in place. It was a first as far as Brian knew. “Gus is spending the weekend with us. I know he’s missed his favorite babysitter. Or so Linds said. Personally since he’s barely a year old, I find it unlikely he misses much other than his dinner when it’s not on time. But what do I know.”

Justin grinned at Brian and looked down at Gus who was playing with one of Justin’s hands, making the fingers move up and down. “Dog, dog, dog.” Justin looked at Brian, questions in his eyes.

“Oh that. I kind of mentioned to the kid that you and I would head to the shelter and find us a dog. I mean you and the Chief have all this land; I think you guys could use some kind of protection. You never know, I might not get home one night if the weather's bad.”

Justin’s eyes opened wide in surprise. A dog, Brian was getting him a dog. A real honest to gawd dog that he got to pick out himself. How was he going to pick him out, he could hardly do anything for himself. Gus is wiggling, I have Gus in my arms. He smells so awesome. I can’t let him fall. He’s so beautiful. I wish I could paint him. I wish I could paint all of this.

Brian joined Justin and Gus on the swing. He took Gus from Justin and let him stand up, looking over the back of the swing while he took Justin’s hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “Let’s go find us a dog. There’s a dog shelter only a few miles from here. It’s a no kill shelter with lots of dogs. Dogs that have been rescued from all over the place. I checked it out. Do you have any idea about what kind of dog you might want?”

Brian always talks to me like I’m going to answer. He never talks down to me like they used to do at the hospital. I’m not mentally challenged, I just can’t make things work, like talking and stuff. I’m getting better; it isn’t much, but better. I’ve never had a dog. I wonder why he really thinks I need a dog. I’d like one I think, but I don’t know.

“So Angel Boy, Chief is going to make us some lunch, and while Gus is having his nap, you and I are going to get a dog.” And to Brian’s surprise, Justin leaned over to rest his head on Brian’s shoulder. Gus was delighted to be the middle of a daddy and Justin sandwich.

Two hours later, Justin was buckled up in the passenger seat of Brian’s car. He was wiggling and jumping for joy inside. On the outside he was his usual stoic self, though he couldn’t stop grinning, which in turn made Brian smile.

“I can see you’re excited.” Brian leaned over and kissed Justin’s cheek. “Well to be honest, I am too. I’ve never had a dog. I’m glad we’re doing this together.”

Family, it’s like we’re a family, Justin thought.

“Since I’m not exactly up on the etiquette of dog choosing, I asked the Chief. He tells me that we have to let the dog pick us. I hope he’s a handsome bugger and not too big and not too little. I don’t like those little yappy ones and I’m afraid that if he’s too big, he’d be too big for Gus. I’m hoping this won’t be the last weekend we have the kid. Though keeping his mother’s from discovering our home could become tricky. I’m damned if they or any of the gang are going to come here and destroy the relationship we have here.”

Relationship, Brian said relationship. I’ve never heard him talk this much. This is turning out to the best day ever. I wonder if I can touch him. Will my fucking arm move, can I reach his thigh with my fingers? Score! It worked. Oh my gawd, I think Brian has tears in his eyes.

Brian’s heart leaped when Justin touched his thigh. He blinked back tears of joy and continued to talk about the pending dog though he wanted to shout with joy. Instead he let his hand touch Justin’s, locking their finger’s together as they continued the drive.

Turning into the driveway of the shelter, Justin’s hand clutched Brian’s. He turned his head to make sure Brian was still smiling. He didn’t want the older man to do something that he hated just to make him happy. As if he could read the younger man’s mind, Brian said. “Don’t worry Angel, I’m looking forword to this little adventure.”

Holding hands, the two men walked into the dog shelter. “We’d like to adopt a dog.” Brian began.

“Well we’ve got lots.” Said a friendly looking woman who sat behind the counter. She was slightly built but almost six feet tall. “Young or old, big or little, one or two.” She grinned. “I’m Trina by the way.”

“I’m Brian, this is Justin. We’re hoping for one that isn’t too young or old, big or little.” He smiled.

“Well let’s just see what the dogs have to say. You understand that all of these dogs have been rescued for one reason or another. Some of them may never be adopted; they just can’t be reached because of their history. We’re a no kill shelter, meaning we do our damndest to find a home for every dog who comes here no matter how long it takes.” She opened a door. “As you can see, the dogs are kept in individual kennels when they're inside. It’s easier for everyone that way. Any that are here in this room have already been neutered with only one exception. And that’s because she’s too far advanced in her pregnancy to have the surgery without compromising her life. And there is another little glitch with Maisie, she has a friend who refuses to be separated from the dog.”

“I don’t suppose the kennel that Justin is crawling in belongs to a medium sized dog called anything but Maisie.” Brian asked with a sigh.

Trina laughed. “No that would be Maisie’s kennel. Your friend appears to have done what no one has been able to do. We haven’t even been able to fully examine her because of how vicious she is, not to mention her friend who is equally mean.”

Justin sat in the kennel, his back against the wall, a medium sized motley looking dog with patches of missing fur, that looked like she could explode momentarily, lay in his lap, tummy up. While a gangly orange young cat perched on Justin’s shoulder purring loudly.

“What’s the adoption policy on exploding dogs with orange friends?” Brian asked. He hadn’t seen that look on Justin’s face since before the bashing. There was no way he was going to walk out of the shelter without the whole group.

Justin was oblivious to the commotion that was going on behind him as Brian and his Irish charm did his best to convince Trina that he would be a reliable adoptive parent to Maisie and her impending brood. It took a generous contribution, and a phone call from Jimmy guaranteeing that Brian and Justin would actually live up to all of the rules that were going to be asked before the dog and cat were released.

Finally he headed back to where Justin still sat with Maisie and the cat. Apparently no one had named the cat yet. For that Brian was thankful. He didn’t think much of the dog’s name. “Okay Angel Boy, we’ve bought ourselves a herd. Time for everyone to get into these carry cases and go home.”

Justin looked at Brian and shook his head. He crawled out of the low but roomy kennel and stood up. He looked shy and then with a bit of a lurch, kissed Brian’s cheek before walking through the door. A ginger kitten on his shoulder and a pregnant dog waddling beside him.

“I guess I don’t need these.” Brian said nodding at the carry cases. “I know it’s not the regular way to travel, but we’ll head right home. It isn’t far. Oh, just why does the dog look like she’s molting?”

“She was rescued from some kids who were lighting her on fire. She’s been here less than a week and considering everything is healing well.”

“I’ll have a friend of mine check her out. I’m sure your vet has seen her, but better to have her checked over again especially since she’s going to have babies. Not too many I hope.” He looked hard at Trina. By now Justin was at the jeep. He opened the door to the back seat for the animals who jumped in as if they’d been doing it for years. Brian didn’t care how much irritation the dog and cat were going to be. To have Justin come alive even a little bit – was worth every thing. Gathering up the large bag that held the basic needs for his new family members, Brian saluted Trina with a wave of his hand and followed Justin.

Justin looked at him puzzled when Brian threw the large bag in the back of the jeep. “It’s stuff for the new crew.” He explained. “The shelter has a gift store, you can buy things and take them with you or buy things and leave them for others who maybe can’t afford to get everything.” Justin smiled. “Yes I donated some to the store.” Brian knew what the blond had wanted to ask.

We have a dog and a cat. A dog that is going to have puppies. My mother never let me have any kind of pet, not even a goldfish. Brian sooooooo loves me. I wish I could show him how much all of this means to me. Everything he does makes the fog that holds my brain in thrall, fade more and more. And Gus, wait till Gus sees the animals. Gus knows I’m here trapped inside. He talks to me and kisses me, just like his father does. I don’t know how Brian is doing all of this. I love him so much.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brian kissed Gus on the forehead and handed him back to his mother. He’d had an amazing weekend despite having to put in some late night work hours. To keep on the top of the ladder at his office it was necessary in order to generate the kind of income that would pay the expenses on the country house, Sam’s salary, Justin’s extra therapy that wasn’t covered by insurance, and still not touch his savings or Justin’s.

“He looks sleepy but happy.” Linds declared. “So do you. Would you like to come in for a tea or coffee?”

“No, I need to get back. I have a bit of work left.”

“All work and no play makes Brian a sad boy.”

“But one with money.” Brian grinned. “And from what I see, it’s what makes the world go round.” He laughed and ran back to his jeep. He wanted to get back to the house. Justin was waiting.

He actually enjoyed the drive from the city to the house in the country. It allowed him time to think of his day. To sort out what he planned for Justin and to relish the advance Justin had made in the weeks since he’d been sprung from the hospital. His Broken Angel was by no means back to his old self. He wasn’t even close. But from the statue who sat and trembled in silence, to a now alert and smiling young man, it was a contrast made in heaven.

Gus and Justin had been enthralled with the new family members. Sam, usually stoic though friendly couldn’t stop grinning as he prepared a place for the mom to be. And the cat, who was called Cat by Gus, took over the house periodically coming back to check on Maisie, but generally prowling everywhere.

Brian had been able to work in peace while Justin and Gus stared at the dog, or brushed her gently. He followed the toddler and Justin as they both made their way unsteadily outside when Maisie had bathroom breaks. Linds and Mel would have freaked if they’d seen their son going outside with Justin and the dog, no adult visible.

Sam of course kept an eye on everyone thanks to the surveillance system he’d installed. Justin, Gus and Maisie and Cat, all seemed to like the freedom.

Sunday Jimmy and Nessie along with their children, ten-year-old Mack, and eleven year old Ken, arrived for a barbeque. They came out often, for a number of reasons. It was nice to be able to let the children play in the forest and on the lawns, safe from harm. Jimmy said being there gave him ideas for his glass pieces. Brian wasn’t sure how, but whatever made the man happy.

The boys were good with Justin and Justin didn’t seem to mind them like he did anyone not familiar. Maisie and Cat as well as Gus kept all the boys busy. Brian couldn’t believe the patience the dog had considering the attention that was continually showered on her.

The wall that surrounded his property came into view, and Brian smiled to himself. It was worth all the sacrifices he had to make just to be able to come home to the young man that he loved no matter how broken he was.

The house was quiet, the lights low, by the time Brian walked through the door. He set the alarm before heading to the kitchen, which had become the hub of their little family community. “Hey Chief.” He said. “It was quite the weekend.”

“Jimmy’s family promised to take two of the pups.” The Chief laughed, setting a cup of coffee in front of Brian. “I sure hope there aren’t going to be many more than that.”

“No shit.” Brian sat at the table, stretching his long legs out and relaxing. “I have a couple more hours of work to put in before I call it a night. Is Justin in bed?”

“He could barely keep his eyes open after you left. I know we do his physical rehab each day, but it doesn’t compete with three kids, a dog and a cat. He used more muscle groups this weekend than he has in the past few months.”

“I hope it wasn’t too much for him. I’d hate it if he regressed. Should I call his doctor?” Brian sat up straight, his former relaxation forgotten in his worry about the blond in his bed.

“Sit back and relax, the kid is just fine.” Chief looked at Brian. “It’s you I’m worried about and I think Justin is as well. You look exhausted. You can’t keep this up and expect to do Justin any good when you’re in the hospital. I know you feel that you need to pay for everything, but Justin’s settlement should be helping with the costs, not just sitting in the bank.”

“The settlement isn’t going to be touched until Justin decides what he wants done with it. It’s for him to get on with his life when the time comes and he’s better.” Brian’s look was grim, he hated it when anyone tried to interfere with the plans he had, even the Chief.

Knowing when to drop the subject, the Chief stood up and stretched. It had been a busy weekend for him as well. Jimmy’s wife had helped in the kitchen, but keeping Justin secure as well as the other children, was tiring. “Miss Chanders called when you were taking Gus home. She has a free weekend coming up and would like to stay here.”

“I don’t know. No one other than Jimmy’s family knows where we are. What if somehow she lets the address slip to one of the Pittsburgh crew? Brian massaged the bridge of his nose. He needed to get to work.

“I think that both you and Justin could use some quiet time with the young lady. And she could use the time with you. I’m sure she’s busy at the university, but a weekend seeing first hand how much Justin has improved, would do her good.”

Brian thought for a moment. It would also give him some free time to quiet down the animals at the fun house: The Diner. The Chief was good with his Angel Boy, but he wasn’t there in the middle of the night when night terrors struck. Daphne wouldn’t mind sleeping with Justin. They certainly had spent enough nights together before the bashing.

It was almost three before Brian was able to shower and head to bed. He had to be up and in the office by eight for a meeting with a prospective client. It was going to be a killer Monday.

“Hey Angel Boy, what’s with the wide blue eyes? Don’t you know it’s late and you could use your beauty sleep?” Brian’s own eyes were tired, but seeing Justin waiting for him in bed, it was almost like the old days. Only then he’d be tired after a night fucking and sucking at Babylon. It had been weeks, maybe even months since he’d been there last. And the last time his dick had touch anything even remotely male was even longer.

It’s late, really late. I wonder if he was at Babylon. He never says where he is when he comes to bed late. I wish he wouldn’t go there. I wish I could be enough for him. I wish I was fucking able to talk and fuck and everything. The Chief let me listen to Daphne when she called. She wants to visit. We never have visitors from before. Before the dark place, before the hospital. I like Jimmy and Vanessa. The kids are cool too. And Gus, he let me hold Gus. I wonder how long I was in the dark place. Gus is walking now. Justin couldn’t help but smile when Brian crawled between the cool sheets, letting out a sigh of relief as he relaxed.

Brian rolled on his side to face Justin who was still watching him a tender smile on his lips. “Did you know that I can hear what you’re saying by watching you smile?” he asked, his voice soft. His eyes closed as he drifted into sleep.

Justin continued to watch the man he loved more than anything sleep. He wished a thousand times over that there was something he could do to make things better for this man who was the real Angel in this relationship. He’d been able to put enough together with what Brian and the Chief said as well as what Jimmy and Vanessa had let slip, to know that Brian had moved heaven and earth and in his parents place, hell, to have them together.

The only thing he could do, was pry himself away from the fog that held him tight in its embrace. Justin closed his eyes and concentrated on moving his hand closer to Brian. He had done it before in the car, and he did it now. The touch bringing relief to his mind and body.

A week later, Brian found himself sitting in his office in between clients. He smiled at the screen saver he’d just loaded on his computer. Gone were the days of generic screen savers. He usually had one of Gus, but today was a pile of wiggling black and white puppies. Their eyes shut, their bodies like fat black and white slugs with pink wrinkled mouths. In the middle of the pile was an orange cat, looking like he’d just delivered the babies. Off to one side was Maisie, her fur still in patches, but looking healthy and proud at what she’d just done.

“Boss, cute screensaver.” Cynthia put a file folder on his desk. “How many puppies?”

“Six at last count. It was a busy night.” He sighed. “You didn’t see this by the way.”

“See what Boss?” she giggled. “I like the one with the black ears and white face.”

“Good, it’s yours. I’ll see you get it in eight weeks or so.” Brian grinned at Cynthia’s shocked face. “Hey, there’s a lot of them. I can’t keep them all.”

“I sure don’t have time for a dog.” She said and cocked her head to one side. “I’m surprised that you do.”

“They’re not mine. I just live with the owner. I figure if I have to live with them, I should be able to find homes for a couple of them.”

“I didn’t know you were living with someone.”

“And you still don’t. It was a slip of the tongue.” But Brian knew that he could trust his assistant. They had long ago passed the stage of boss and underling in favor of friendship. Other than Justin and possibly the Chief, he didn’t think he could trust any other person.

“I’d like to see these guys.” She said. “Maybe when they get a bit older and have some personality.”

“They have personality now.” Brian smiled. He picked up the file. “Everything ready for the meeting?”

“All set Brian. Oh, and Michael has been phoning all morning. He came by twice, but security wouldn’t let him reach the elevator.”

Brian checked his cell phone. There were no calls from either Lindsay or Melanie, so that meant Gus was okay. It must have been Michael’s usual drama after a weekend of not being able to find him. He deleted all the messages from his friend without listening to them. “If he calls again, tell him I’ll stop by the diner before heading home. I’ve been requested to bring home some lemon squares.” Actually while Justin still didn’t talk, or even do much without prompting, he did love the lemon squares that occasionally found their way to the house. Since Daphne was due in a couple of days, he might as well stop into the diner. He’d get Michael off his back and bring home something to make his Angel smile.

At the house Justin watched the new family. The cat had moved to his lap, preferring Justin’s calm warmth, to the squirming group in the dog bed.  The Chief bustled around the kitchen pleased to see Justin’s hands, both of them, combing through the cat’s fur. It was better exercise than anything he could come up with.  “Justin, lunch is ready, you need to let the cat go and come wash your hands.”

Justin looked up from his place on the floor. He smiled at the Chief, but he didn’t move to stand. Making himself will his brain to send the proper signals was beyond him. His eyes clouded over as he struggled to make things work.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Why won’t things work? I want to stand up. I want to walk. I want to fucking scream. But I can’t. I’m never going to be good enough to be Brian’s boyfriend. He’s going to get sick of having a fucking moron around. The house is full of hospital stuff. And now he’s got the dogs and the cat. Brian hates shit like this. Why is he letting this happen?

The Chief could read it all in Justin’s face. He walked over and helped the boy stand. “Hey, you work in all the right places. You just need a bit of help, kind of like a ship with a bad motor. We need to program the motor.” Justin tried to pull away, angry that he had to be helped to stand. But other than a slight jerk of his body, nothing happened.  “Hands first and then lunch. It’s grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, your favorite. Or is that my favorite?” He laughed. “When you start talking you’ll probably want me to throw away all the tomato soup.”

Justin sighed. He liked tomato soup and grilled cheese, but it was getting tiresome. It was easy for the Chief because he could cut the sandwich up into bite size bits and the soup could go into a sippy cup. He wondered if Gus was eating the same kind of lunch. They were about at the same stage with hand motor control.

Cat watched his warm person walk over to the sink. He didn’t like the sink. It could be wet and he hated being wet. He walked over, jumped into the dog bed and sniffed the new puppies, taking the time to wash one of them. Maisie couldn’t keep up with her babies and Cat was always willing to help.

Justin’s hands were clean. He found himself sitting at the table unsure of how he’d gotten there. He didn’t space out as often, but it still happened. One minute he’d be watching television or sitting with the dogs and the next he’d be in bed, or on the toilet.  He looked at the sandwich and soup and remembered it was lunchtime. I wonder if Brian is eating lunch at the diner. Is he sitting in the same booth with Michael and Emmett? Do they even remember him? Did they visit him in the hospital and did he forget?

The Chief sat at the table with his charge. He said nothing, knowing that Justin already knew what was expected of him. It was painful to watch the boy struggle to pick up a piece of the warm sandwich and then find his mouth. It was even more painful watching him drink his soup. One thing was for sure, the kid had moxey. He didn’t stop until his lunch was finished, no matter how long it took. Each day was a bit better, but still it was slow going. He almost smiled when a piece of sandwich fell to the floor, only to be batted around by Cat until sufficiently subdued, it was eaten.

“Ccccaat.” Justin mumbled and then smiled. He’d been watching the orange furred animal. “Ccccaat.”

“Wow, for a first word in months, that was a good one.” The Chief took a bit of his sandwich. He never treated Justin like any of his progress was special. But rather he acted like it was expected of him. “Now just for fun, let’s have another one.”

“Fffuuck.” Justin grinned. “Yoooou.”

“No thanks. I’m straight.” The Chief stood up. “I guess your speech therapy is paying off.” There hadn’t been any speech therapy, but there would be now.

Justin blinked. Speech therapy, what speech therapy?

“I’m kidding, you aren’t that out of it.” The Chief put his hand on Justin’s shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze. “Brian is going to be pleased to hear your voice again whispering sweet nothings into his ear.”

Justin snorted. Like that is going to happen any time soon. I’d love to whisper his name. I want him to make love to me like he used to do sometimes when he was tired. Not that Brian ever thought of it as making love, but it was.

 

“Hey Deb.” Brian sauntered into the diner as if he’d been there daily instead of absent for weeks.  “A dozen lemon squares to go. And a coffee and a lemon square for here.”

“You’re eating a lemon square?” Deb snorted. “Hell must have frozen over.”

“I happen to indulge every now and then.” He slid into his usual booth. “Where’s Mikey and the gang?”

“I’m sure they’ll wander in soon. It’s almost dinner time.” Debbie wasn’t sure if she should say anything. Brian was looking more tired than usual, yet he was in a cheerful mood. “What has you so happy?”

“Life in general.” Brian added sugar to the coffee she’d given him and took a bit out of his lemon square. The Chief had called him about Justin’s few words. He’d been smiling ever since.

“Lindsay was in earlier with Gus. That boy is looking more and more like his daddy.” Debbie sat on the other side of the booth with Brian. “Maybe you should take some time away from work and see the kid once in awhile. He’s only going to be young once.”

“Thanks for that motherly advice. I see Gus as much as his mother’s allow. After all, they didn’t really want me to have anything to do with the boy. “ Brian swallowed his coffee and held out the empty cup. “One more for the road please.”

“BRIAN.” Michael walked over to the table, quickly followed by Emmett. “How long have you been here? I’ve been trying to talk to you all day. Did you know that the security guys at your work wouldn’t let me up to see you?”

“Mikey, Emmett.” Brian nodded. “I’m having a quick coffee. Feel free to join me.” He ignored Michael’s whining.

“You look a bit peaked.” Emmett reached over to feel Brian’s forehead. “You don’t feel hot, so it must just be tiredness.”

“Hands off the face.” Brian grumbled. “I work hard boys. I enjoy my work and the money is good.”

“Well the money won’t do you any good if you’re six feet under.” Debbie placed the night’s special down in front of her son and Emmett. “You know, all work and no play makes Brian a very grumpy boy.”

“Grumpy.” Brian snorted. “I’m on top of the world. And for your information, I have the next few days off. I’m planning on doing not much of anything. I’m in between campaigns. Life is good.”

“Great, let’s go to Babylon tonight.” Michael all but jumped up and down in his seat. “Tomorrow we could go to the movies, that new Batman movie is showing.”

“No can do.” Brian stood up pulling his wallet out. “I’ve got a dinner date tonight and I’m planning on an early night. Tomorrow I’m busy. And the next day I’ll be picking up Daphne Chanders at the airport. She’s spending a couple of days with me.”

“Who’s that?” Michael asked, his eyes wide with shock.

“Daphne, isn’t she that friend of Justin’s?” Emmett said. “I remember her, she’d probably like to go to Babylon. Is she your new fag hag?”

Brian only nodded, threw some money on the counter for Deb, grabbed the bag of lemon squares and left the diner. The door shut when Michael raced after is old friend. “Brian, Brian, wait up.”

He was almost at the jeep when Michael skidded to a halt beside him. “Brian, you know if you’re feeling bad about Justin, you don’t need to hide out. We all think it really sucks what happened to him. I mean in this day and age, to be bashed because you’re gay. Do you think he died or something, or did he move with his mother to Atlanta? If he moved, I could maybe get Ma to talk to his mom so you can see him or something.”

“Thanks for the offer Mikey. I know you mean well, but I’m fine. I don’t need you or your mother running interference between Justin and his mother. I meant what I said. I’m working long hours. I figured it was time to grow up, so I did. Even you and Emmett have to admit you don’t go clubbing as often as you used to. It’s called getting older. There’s a time when you just look ridiculous in a club full of young twinks.”

“I’m sure you don’t really need to make any more money Brian. Lindsay said you don’t give her as much as you used to. And if you aren’t clubbing, what do you need money for?” Michael stood to one side when Brian slipped inside of the Jeep.

“What do you need money for Mikey?” Brian asked. “I don’t question you on your spending habits or earnings for that matter. What I do with my money is my business.”

“You’re never home.”

“Same old song.” Brian put his hand out the window and flapped his fingers. “I’ll be around off and on this week. I’ll give you a call.” He backed out onto the street. He had one more stop to make before heading home. Not sure if he was doing the right thing, but wanting to bring Justin out of his funk, Brian stopped at the mall. He resisted shuddering. The things he did for his Angel.

 

The lemon squares were on the crystal dish that lately had been reserved for the sweet treat. The dog bed was in a corner of the kitchen, quiet except for the occasional slurp and squeak. Cat sat on the top of the refrigerator watching the occupants of his favorite room. Chief had gone back to his cottage. It was Justin’s favorite time of day. Brian had come home early for once and they were having dinner.

“I think you just like the attention.” Brian smirked. He had a forkful of steak that was destined for Justin’s mouth. “You are free to practice shoveling in this yummy dinner. Don’t worry about me.”

Justin leaned forward and snagged the piece of steak. Brian grinned and ate a piece off of his own plate. “Not bad steak, though I like mine a bit more rare. With the price of prime beef, it seems a shame to turn it into grey shoe leather.”

“Nnnot.” Justin said with a smile. He had a fork clutched in his hand. He made a stab for a piece of potato but ended up sending it across the table and onto the floor.

“Good thing we have a dog.” Brian drawled. “Not so much force the next time. He put a piece of potato in Justin’s mouth.  “Try again, this time forget the Mikey impersonation,” he tapped Justin’s hand that gripped the fork. “Use your fingers.”

“Fffffuck.” Justin stubbornly reached for a piece of steak with his fork, spearing it, he raised his fork in triumph, only to have Brian eat the piece.

“Thanks.” Brian grinned. “I think you’re getting the hang of it.”

“Mmmine.” Justin glared at Brian, but grinned. He put his hand on his head and made a wry face.

“So your head hurts does it?” Brian asked. He reached over to smooth his fingers over Justin’s temple, only to have his hand grabbed. Justin pulled it to his mouth. His lips were soft. He made a kissing sound.

Brian laughed and leaned in to place a kiss on Justin’s forehead. “We’re never going to finish dinner if you keep this up.”

The blond smiled and shrugged a crooked shrug.

Brian stood up. He wasn’t sure where Justin was going with this sudden interest in kissing. He wanted it to be more, but he couldn’t do anything as long as Justin was unable to function clearly on his own. “I bought you something today.”

Justin gestured toward the lemon squares.

“Not lemon squares. Those are for Daphne, we need to fatten her up.” Brian opened his brief case that had been sitting on the counter. He pulled out a small digital camera. “I know you hate that you can’t paint or draw. It won’t be forever. But I thought maybe you could practice with this. Even if you fuck up, it won’t be a catastrophe. You can take 150 pictures and then erase them all if that’s what you want.”

I can’t believe him. A fucking camera. As if that is going to make things better. But look at him. Look at his face. He’s afraid, he’s fucking terrified I’m going to reject this offer of what I don’t know. I can’t do that to him. I have to smile and pretend I like this little piece of blue metal and lens. He says I talk with my eyes, well he speaks whole volumes with those hazel eyes of his. I want him so much. All of him. I almost slipped up and let him know. I don’t want to trap him into a relationship. This friendship thing we have going for now is working. Maybe someday. Maybe Daphne can help me.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3 by Moonshadow Woman

Broken Angel – 3

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

 

Brian laughed out loud when Daphne raced out of the gate and threw herself in his arms. “Excited much?” he asked swinging her around like some kind of

hetero love story.

“You have no idea how excited I am.” Daphne grinned. “You look better than you did yesterday.” They often spoke via web cam whenever they had a chance. “A day off is what you needed.”

“Sleep is what I needed. I sleep great when Justin does. There were no night terrors last night. I think it was knowing you were arriving today that did it.”

“The Chief sent me the pictures Justin took of the puppies. He wouldn’t tell me how many were rejected before the three Justin approved were sent.”

“He wouldn’t tell me either.” Brian smiled. “Any luggage?”

“No, just this bag. I travel light.” She held onto Brian’s hand. “Is he really doing good? I mean I know this camera thing you got him has given him something to do besides therapy, but is he really back with us?”

“He has his moments. I spoke with his doctor and it’s to be expected. I guess it’s kind of like a circuit board that’s been damaged by shaking. It takes time to settle into what it used to be. And it might not ever happen. We need to be prepared for that. His intelligence tests are off the charts so we can be grateful for that. But because he’s cognitive, he knows too much and expects too much. It’s a catch 22 kind of thing. He gets frustrated, but everyday brings about a few changes. He says a few words. Some come up mixed up, but generally we know what he’s saying. When he gets frustrated he sits with the dogs. They calm him.”

“Have you heard from his parents?”

“No.” Brian didn’t want to think about Justin’s parents. He knew that his Angel was hurt by their absence. He’d tried to ask about them but couldn’t get the words out. Brian knew what he was saying but pretended not to understand. It was frustrating for both of them.

“Sucks to be them. Justin will get better and they’ll be the losers.” She almost spit out the words. Anyone hurting her friend made her so angry she could hit someone.

“Hey there spit fire.” Brian leaned down and kissed her cheek. “Justin is lucky to have you for a friend.”

“He’s lucky he found you.” Daphne playfully punched Brian’s shoulder. “You’ve more than stood by him.” She looked up at Brian. “You really love him don’t you?”

“He’s special. As for love, what the fuck is that? I don’t know. I know he’s special and always has been for me. I know I need to see that he gets the care he needs to be the man he was meant to be.”

“But Brian...” Daphne began.

“Lets just leave it at that. It’s too nice a day to analyze things to death. Justin is my friend, my good friend. I have his back, just like he’d do for me if the roles were reversed. Time will tell if there’s more than that.”

Daphne knew better than to push the proud man walking beside her. What he’d done already for Justin went beyond friendship. Brian had changed his whole life, not that he’d ever admit it to anyone, certainly not to Justin.

Daphne squealed when she saw Justin standing on the porch waiting for them. He had an orange cat on his shoulder. He grinned and rubbed his ear telling her she was too loud. She grabbed his arms and kissed him over and over making the cat hiss and then jump down. “You look amazing.” She said grinning and kissing him again.

“Enough with the fan girl act.” Brian stood on the bottom step, Daphne’s bag in one hand, her purse in the other. “You’d think you’d never seen him before. He’s the same old Justin as he ever was.”

Justin stuck his tongue out at Brian. A new trick he’d learned earlier in the day.

“Turn him around and start him walking, he catches on quick, he just needs a boot in the ass to get him moving.” Brian moved past the two friends, unobtrusively turning Justin and then patting his ass.

“Brian.” Daphne was scandalized that Brian would talk to Justin like he did.

“Fffuck yyyou.” Justin said with a smile.

“Not lately you haven’t.” Brian replied tongue in cheek. “Maybe Daphne will put up with you.”

Justin sighed. He really would like to fuck Brian, but it sure wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.

“I want to see the puppies.” Daphne gushed. She hooked an arm through Justin’s and led him into the kitchen having followed Brian’s pantomimed directions. “Oh my gawd, they’re adorable.”

The puppies, their eyes barely open, were crawling over each other in the dog bed. Maisie was on the outside of the bed sleeping in a patch of sunlight.

I’m happy to see Daphne even if she is touchy feely. It’s not so bad when she touches me. Maisie doesn’t mind her glomming the babies, but I don’t think Cat likes her much. I wonder what Brian meant when he said what he did. He doesn’t even touch me other than like a brother, or Gus. I wish he’d at least kiss me the way he used to. When he’s sleeping I touch him and sometimes he puts his arms around me in the old way. I feel safe. But he’s usually gone when I wake up. The Chief says I’m getting better ‘cause I can say a few words. I don’t want to be Brian’s gimp ‘friend’. I want to be his lover.

Daphne had been watching Justin from the corner of her eye. She could tell he was troubled about something and that something was Brian Kinney. The man was infuriating. But at the same time he was the best thing ever that had come into Justin’s life. “Justin, I want this one.” Daphne held up one of the wiggling puppies. It was almost all black with white feet. “I’m going to call her Hope.”  

“Little girl, your mommy would tell you that you don’t have time for a puppy.” Brian spoke from behind them. “You have school and long, long hours of hospital time to put in.”

“That’s okay, Justin will keep Hope for me until I get through with that stuff. And I’ll have her all my off time.”

“Justin will, will he?” Brian looked at his Angel who was grinning and nodding. There was no way he could take that look away. “Well, I’m not paying for dog food. And you have to have her spayed. No more puppies for this group.”

“Of course I will Brian. I’m a responsible dog owner.” Daphne reached for her purse and pulled out a small pink dog collar with rhinestone hearts on it. “I even have her first collar with me.” She quickly put the collar around the puppy’s neck. Hope’s tongue licked Daphne’s nose before snuggling into Daphne’s neck. “She likes me.” Daphne whispered to Justin.

“Llloves yyou.” Justin said to Daphne, while looking into Brian’s eyes. Brian looked away first, he couldn’t stand to see the raw emotion in Justin’s eyes.

 

“Holy shit, two days this week.” Debbie greeted Brian when he walked in the diner. “Who died?”

“Good afternoon to you to Deb.” Brian kissed her cheek. “I think I’ll have a chicken salad, hold the croutons. And a coffee.” He sat down beside Ted who had been reading the paper. “Hey Ted, what’s new?”

“Not much. I saw that kid that got bashed the other day.”

“You did?” Brian kept his face guarded.

“He and some old guy were coming out of the medical clinic on Third. I was there for back therapy. I tried to talk to him, but shit he freaked out. He just stood there making weird sounds looking scared until the old guy kind of hugged him and pulled him out the door. It made me stop and think about how lucky I was. I mean I could have ended up brain damaged like he is. It’s a shame, he was kind of a sweet kid. He might as well be dead now, if that’s his life.”

Brian’s fists were clenched so tight, his nails broke the skin on his hands. The Chief had mentioned that Justin had met someone at the clinic and had reacted badly, but he hadn’t said just how badly. He wanted to scream with frustration at Ted and his thoughtless words. But he couldn’t. He couldn’t say anything without revealing his secret. His Angel was broken, but he wasn’t beyond repair. This was all the more reason to keep him away from Liberty Avenue and the gang.

Instead all he could do was stand up and leave. He didn’t dare open his mouth to say anything he was so upset.

“Where did Brian go?” Deb asked. “I have his order ready.”

“I don’t know. He just got up and left. I was telling him about seeing that kid. You know the one, Brian’s little boy toy, the one that was bashed. I mean the kid is completely wacko now. I guess Brian didn’t know.”

“Brian always did have a soft heart.” Deb muttered. “It’s a crying shame what happened to Justin. I didn’t know he still lived here. Maybe I should try and find him.”

“I don’t know Deb. The kid isn’t Justin anymore. He’s, he’s, well he’s damaged and kind of freaky.”

The baths was his first stop. There was always a willing mouth or ass there no matter what time of day. Brian sat in his car and stared at the building, not seeing it or the men who wandered in and out. Was this going to be his life? Was he setting himself up to be a caregiver to Justin who was never going to be the young man with stars in his eyes when they danced?

He was too young to put his life on hold like some middle aged queer who is resigned to looking after an aging lover, mother, friend. Insert the most likely word. He hadn’t wanted a child, yet he had a son. He didn’t want a boyfriend and he had Justin. Maybe he should invoke the trust he’d set up and arrange for Justin to be looked after by the Chief and anyone else needed. He could move permanently into the apartment on Tremont. He could move on with his life.

Brian shut his eyes, remembering Justin this morning. The blond had curled himself around him as if seeking a safe haven. Was that what he was? A safe haven? He knew Justin wasn’t mentally challenged. Testing had proven that. But he was unlikely to regain full motor control. And his brain kept short circuiting off and on sending him into a full stop until someone got him started again.

“Hey Kinney, you sleeping or coming in?”

Brian jumped startled by the rapping of knuckles on his car window. A friendly face that he almost recalled peered in. He rolled the window down. “Hey.” He sighed. “I was just thinking about something. I’m not going in right now.”

“Just saw Todd in there, he’s great for a blow job.”

“Had him.” Brian gave the man a sideways grin. “Gotta go.” Not waiting for a reply he put the Jeep in gear and back out onto the street. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.” He muttered as he drove.

In a few minutes he found himself parking in front of Jimmy Dobson’s place. He wasn’t sure why. There wasn’t really anything the lawyer could do for him. But the man had become a friend and he needed a friend who wouldn’t judge him right now.

Justin and Daphne, accompanied by Maisie and Cat, were walking in the garden. “You’ve come a long way since you left that hell hole they’d stashed you in.” Daphne believed in telling it like it is.

“Yyes.” Justin said. “Bbrian did it.”

“Brian didn’t do it, you did. Brian might be the catalyst that started you moving forward. But Jus, it was all you that’s done the work.” Daphne picked up a stick and threw it for Maisie. The dog stood there and watched Cat run to the stick and pick it up.

“You’ve got weird animals.”

Justin smiled. “Llike me.”

Daphne gently punched Justin’s shoulder. “No, like Brian, now that man is weird.”

“Llove him.” Justin bent down and took the stick from Cat. He did it so smoothly that it was almost like he was better.

“You didn’t think about what you’re doing and you just do it.” Daphne grinned. “Great. Does Brian know you can do stuff like that?”

Justin shrugged. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. “Bbbrian.” He began and then sighed.

“So, are things okay between you two? Lots of sex?” Daphne was walking backward so she could watch Justin’s face.

“Nnnoo sex.” Justin’s face clouded over. “Bbbrian.” He shook his head. He had so much to say, but no way to say it. Brian sleeps with me every night. But he isn’t really with me. He watches me, studies my face when he thinks I’m sleeping. I wonder if he’s seeing everything that’s wrong and wondering if it will ever end. Why won’t he kiss me, touch me, make love to me? I don’t need motor control for any of that.

“What’s wrong with the man?” Daphne snorted. “He could barely wait ten seconds before getting into your pants.”

“Bbbroken.” Justin muttered. “Bbbroken.”

“Well that’s bullshit.” Daphne glared. She was going to have a talk with Brian about this as soon as she could.

Justin said nothing. Once again he’d retreated into the recesses of his mind where the Prom never ended. Where Brian looked down at him with love shining in his eyes and the music and lights went round and round, never ending.

Maisie and Cat both ran toward the house. Daphne was shocked for a moment. Justin had never spaced out on her before, but she was surprised considering the topic of their conversation.

“Miss Daphne, I’ll take him.”

“Oh,” Daphne was surprised to see the Chief. “We were talking and he just kind of went away.”

“You must have been talking about Brian.” The Chief took Justin by the arm and turned him. “Come on there Justin, we’re going back inside. Maisie and Cat are worried about you. You know those two, they need all the attention in the family. They hate it when you one up them in that department.”

“The dog and cat came and got you?” Daphne asked.

“Yes, they always know when he retreats. I used to worry that he’d get into some difficulty if I were not around. But Maisie and Cat see to it that I find him quick.”

“Wow, I told him that they were weird. But it’s a good weird.” Daphne had her arm under one of Justin’s, the Chief on the other side. They slowly made their way back to the house. “Will he be like this long?”

“It all depends. His doctor said to let him come out if it naturally. He doesn’t need any kind of pressure.” They’d reached the house. “Come on Justin, we’ll go to the family room. You and Daphne can watch a movie.” He looked at Daphne. “I hope you don’t mind the movie thing. He seems more comfortable when he comes out of his fugue during a movie. I guess it’s more natural to drift off when watching something and then come back.”

“I don’t mind. Do you know when Brian’s coming back?”

“He said he would be out most of the day. I think he wanted you and Justin to have some one on one time together.” The Chief had settled Justin on the sofa and turned on the television. “I think he just needed a bit of time to himself. He works hard, too hard. He could use some relaxation time.”

“Brian, come on in.” Vanessa held the door for her friend. “Jimmy is in his office for once. I know he’ll be glad to see you.”

“Hey Nessa, where’s the brats?” Brian kissed her cheek.

“School, it’s an amazing place that takes them away for five hours a day.” She laughed. “It’s what keeps parents sane.”

“Brian, come on in.” Jimmy was stretched out on a leather sofa, and Ipod in his hands, ear buds on his chest. “I was just relaxing for a bit.”

“I see that.” Brian chuckled and sat down and then stretched out on a matching sofa. “I should get one of these.”

“It’s all in the down filling and the softest leather you can find. Nessa will give you the address of the designer.” He sighed and put his Ipod down. “What brings you here on a work day?”

“I’m taking a couple of days off. All work and all that.”

“Are you sick? I’ve never known you to take time off. Should I be worried?”

“No I’m not sick. I had a chance to take some time and I did. Don’t get too used to it, it won’t last. It’s back to the grind in two days.”

“How’s Justin and the pups?”

“All the animals are doing fine including Justin.”

Jimmy raised an eyebrow. “Oh, so you’re just slumming.”

“No, Daphne is visiting. I thought I’d give them some ‘together’ time. Justin’s been a bit down the last couple of days. I think he needs to see a friend.”

“You could take him out more. Other than to the medical clinic for therapy, he doesn’t go anywhere.”

“Who’ve you been talking too?” Brian tried not to show his resentment at the unspoken reprimand.

“I ran into Sam Jones the other day. He was picking up a few things at the bakery on Vine while Justin was in therapy.”

“Glad the two of you had something to discuss.”

“Don’t get pissy. You know you keep the boy segregated from the world.”

“It’s for his own good. He hates being in crowds of people. Hell Sam has to schedule his therapy for the first appointment of the day to avoid a lot of people on the street.”

“Is it Justin you’re protecting or is it you?” Jimmy’s voice was soft. “He’s not the cute young boy who idolized your every move anymore. He can’t walk in a straight line, barely speaks, and zones out every now and then. Christ knows he can hardly feed himself. Maybe you don’t want to be seen with him.”

“THAT IS NOT FUCKING WHAT I’M DOING.” Brian took a breath. “I’m not ashamed of him. I just don’t want him hurt. I don’t want anyone to think he’s damaged, broken, or just not right.” Brian stood up and walked over to a window. “I’m not sure what I’m doing. I watch him sleep. He’s beautiful. He looks like nothing happened. He smiles and nuzzles my neck like he used to and makes these quiet little huffing sounds. I want to grab him and kiss him like I used to. Wake him up and make love. And then he kind of spasms, moans and the night terrors arrive and all I can do is hold him still until they go away. When I smooth back his hair from his forehead, my fingers touch the fucking scar that barely covers the dent in his head. And then all I want to do is scream at the unfairness of life.

I want to rage and kill that bastard who hurt him. But I can’t do a goddamn thing. I can’t even fucking have a smoke. The smell was bothering his breathing. He’s fucking allergic to anything good. I want to drink myself senseless, or find some good shit to smoke, but I don’t dare. He might need me and I can’t fuck up. I can’t fuck up again. I might kill him this time.”

“Brian you need to see someone about this. You didn’t hurt Justin. You’ve saved him.”

“I am seeing someone. Here I am.” Brian turned from the window showing a wry smile. “I’m not stupid. I know I didn’t use the fucking bat. But if I had stayed away, things might have been different.”

“Or Hobbs might have hit him more than once and killed him.”

Silence filled the room.

“That too.” Brian’s voice was soft. “That night, that night was for me the first time I let myself have a hint that I might have a chance of happiness. For one moment in time I was happier than I’d ever been in my life. You know the kind of life I’d lived up to that point. I was a club boy, if thirty could be called a boy. I worked hard and I played harder. Sure I had Justin in my life, but he was only a small part of it. There were so many times when we were together that whatever it was that was developing, seemed real. I’m not making any sense am I?”

“You are.” Jimmy sat up. “You worked and played, but you kept to yourself like you lived in some kind of bubble. The night you met Justin was the night you met your son. Your bubble was cracking.”

“No shit.” Brian began to pace the room and then threw himself back on the sofa. “I feel things for him that I’ve never felt for anyone. He’s more than just a friend or an old fuck buddy. But he’s sick. I can’t do anything about what I feel. How fucked would that be if I actually had sex with him. I mean there has to be some kind of law about shit like that. I’m his guardian for fuck sake.”

“Yes, you’re right. There are laws about guardians having sex with their wards.” Jimmy sat down at his desk. “Talk with his doctor. Find out how far Justin has to come to be considered mentally competent. And then it’s up to you. You can dissolve the guardianship and to keep him insured, make him your domestic partner.”

“Somehow that seems so much more final than guardianship.”

“It is what you make it.” Jimmy looked at Brian. “All I know is that you have a young man in your care who is in love with you. He was in love with you before the bashing, and he’s in love with you now. What are you going to do about it?”

“I don’t fucking know what to do. He thinks he’s in love with me, but what does he know? I’m his first. We all remember our first.”

“But we don’t all fall in love with our first and you know it. Justin saw something in you that he felt was worth giving up everything he knew to pursue.  Maybe you should look inside yourself to find what it was that Justin saw. And still sees.”

 

Daphne curled up on the far end of the sofa. She watched the movie and watched Justin waiting to see what would happen. Her heart broke when she noticed tears running down her friend’s face. He was staring at the television, but she knew he wasn’t seeing it.

The balloons are shining with sparkles, the lights are dim, and Brian is holding him tenderly in his arms as they whirl and dip and glide over the floor. I’m so happy I’m sure my heart is going to burst. And then suddenly I’m sitting in the family room. The television is on playing something that’s supposed to be a comedy. I know Daphne must be close. She’s here visiting her fucked up brain-fried friend. I’m crying and I can’t stop. I want Brian to hold me, to make it all right. I want my life back. 

Daphne handed Justin a tissue. “It’s okay Justin. I know you want your life back the way it was. It’ll never be the same, but I can’t help but think it’ll eventually be better.”

“Yes it will be.” Brian stood in the doorway. “Daphne, can I have a word with Justin?”

“Sure Brian, I’ll go bake cookies with the Chief or something.”

She kissed Justin’s cheek and then Brian’s as she walked out.

“Justin, I want to apologize to you.” Brian took three steps into the room and paused. “I’ve been doing some thinking today and realized that I haven’t been clear about what kind of relationship we have. And yes I said the word relationship, that we have going for us.” Two more steps and he had Justin in his arms. Justin was trembling, but he didn’t pull away. He needed Brian’s touch.

“Let’s sit down.” Brian sat, pulling Justin down on his lap. “When I got you sprung from that hell hole, I wanted you safe and I figured that if I kept you close, you’d be safe. But I was thinking more of my feelings and not of yours. I forgot that you need more than my protection. You need to be your own man and find your own way in the world. I know you aren’t ready for that yet. But I want you to know that whatever you want, decide, or need. I’ll be there for you.”

“Yyyou. I… need you.” Justin whispered.

“I know you do Angel Boy, and I’ll be here. I’m not going anywhere. But you need more than just me. You need to get out of this house and live.”

“No.” Justin hit Brian’s shoulder for emphasis. “No.” he sighed. “Kkisss me.”

“Kiss you? I kiss you all the time.” Brian kissed Justin’s forehead. “See, that’s me kissing you.”

“Asshole.” Justin said clearly and looked up at Brian. He put one hand on the back of Brian’s head and pulled him down until their lips touched. “Kiss me.”

Their lips touched and without consciously thinking about what he was doing, Brian pulled Justin closer, the better to lose themselves in a long awaited kiss. Finally pulling apart, Brian was shaken. What he’d felt for Justin that night of the Prom all came rushing back. This wasn’t a broken Angel in his lap. This was a man, a man who had been denied their old closeness. “We can’t Justin, we can’t do this. I’m your guardian, there are laws.”

“Not a virgin princess.” Justin wiggled and looked into Brian’s eyes. “Lllove you.”

“You, you’re my Angel Boy, but shit Justin….” Brian’s words were lost when Justin’s lips found his once again.

Daphne and Sam were in the kitchen watching the monitor. Sam reached over and shut it off. “I guess something has finally been settled.” He sighed. “I was beginning to think I’d have to give Brian instructions.”

Six weeks had passed since Daphne’s visit. Brian felt he was living in some kind of la la land where everything was sunshine and roses. He knew it wouldn’t last. But he figured he might as well enjoy it while he could.

Justin’s speech had almost returned to normal. He only stuttered occasionally. The left side of his body was working great. But the right side left a lot to be desired. He’d had four fugue incidents, but they were shorter each time. His doctor was pleased and changed his medication to a lighter dose.

Maisie and her brood had taken over the back closed in porch. The weather was pleasant and it was easier to confine the pups to the porch now that they were on the move. Three more pups had collars and many visits from their soon to be new owners. Cynthia had fallen for one and Jimmy and Vanessa’s children had each picked a pup.

“Are you coming in for lunch?” Brian asked. It was a Saturday and he had gone looking for Justin, not surprised to find him with the pups. Cat was at Brian’s heels.

“Sure.” Justin was on his back on the floor. Puppies were climbing over him and falling off and climbing back on. All the while Justin was snapping pictures with the camera Brian had given him.

“How many pictures does one need of a bunch of small dogs?” Brian asked. He sat cross-legged on the floor beside Justin. “You look like you’re five years old.”

“I am.” Justin grinned and snapped a picture that included Brian holding Hope up to look into her eyes. Cat was now curled up on Brian’s lap. “That makes you a pervey old man.”

“I’m taking you to therapy today. So get your butt off the floor.”

“Really? You’re taking me?” Justin beamed at Brian and scrambled to sit up. “I thought you were working this afternoon.”

“I can do it tomorrow.” Brian stood up and pulled Justin to his feet and into his arms. “I haven’t spent a Saturday with you in a long time.”

“You’ve never spent a whole Saturday with me.” Justin laughed. “Even before all the shit happened. You’ve always been busy on Saturday.”

“I think your wee wittle brain is snapping again. I’ve spent lots of Saturdays with you.”

“Stopping by the diner while I worked doesn’t count.” Justin hit his hip against Brian’s. “Can we stop off at your apartment? I haven’t seen it yet.”

“Nosey as ever. It’s good to see you back on track.” Brian kissed Justin’s lips in a quick kiss and then smacked his ass. “Yes we can stop by the apartment. It’s nothing special, just a place to whole up when the weather’s bad and I can’t get here.”

“We could order in pizza and have dinner.”

“The next thing you know, you’ll be suggesting we spend the night. What’s Sam going to do with only the hounds to look after?”

“I’ll be enjoying the peace and quiet.” Sam laughed as he put sandwiches on the table. “Lunch time boys.”

“Chief, you don’t mind do you, if I go with Brian?” Justin and the Chief had developed a deep friendship since they had first met. The drive into the city for therapy gave them both an opportunity to talk about their thoughts and interests.

“I don’t mind in the least. I think you both need to get out of the house together and start living your lives the way things were meant to be.”

“Yeah, like that’s going to happen anytime soon. I still eat like I’m developmentally challenged. Not to mention my penchant for zoning out at in opportune moments.”

“Nice to see your verbal skills from you SAT days are still with you.” Brian reached for a sandwich. “He didn’t say we should enter a domino championship, just get out of the house.”

“I think I hate you.”

“Eat up Angel Boy. Don’t poke yourself in the eye, these sandwiches are toasted.”

Justin stuck out his tongue and then carefully took a bite of one of the sandwiches. He usually was able to manage finger food or sandwiches now. It was tougher with utensils, then he just might poke himself in the eye. Brian had seen him do it and never let him forget. 

“Seriously Chief, are you going to be okay here on your own?” Brian asked Sam. “We may spend the night in town.”

“I’m old, but not that old Brian. I’m sure the dogs and I can keep Cat out of trouble.”

“Just don’t want you thinking we don’t need you here.”

“This is my home now.” Sam stood up to get the coffee pot. “You can’t get rid of me.”

Brian sat at the table, eating his sandwich and watching and listening to Sam and Justin as they kibitzed and laughed at what the puppies were up to and things that Cat had done. He had worked late the night before. Work had taken the place of clubbing and drugs. He wasn’t sure he liked the change, though it was lucrative. He’d almost paid off the mortgage in the house and had been able to add to Gus’ collage fund. His head ached more and more these days, but he figured it was drug deprivation or something.

Next week Justin was going to be examined by the board at the medical center. If they gave him the okay, he’d be released from Brian’s guardianship. This was going to present more problems and it was time to decide what he was going to do about Justin, at least as far as health insurance was concerned.

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by Moonshadow Woman
Author's Notes:

artistic license has been taken with many aspects of this chapter - I'm not a lawyer, a family counsellor or for that matter even know either to go to for advice -

Broken Angel – 4

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

 

“Done already?” Brian asked when Justin slipped into the Jeep.

“I’ve been working hard for two hours. Why didn’t you come in with me?” Justin was tired, therapy took a lot out of him.

“I was busy.”

“Doing what? It looks like you were reading the paper.” Justin did up his seatbelt after five minutes of struggling to make the connection.

“Would you hurry up?”

“You could help the cripple out you know.”

“And upset your independence?” Brian snickered, but he did lean over and kiss Justin on his cheek. “I was shopping. You’ve lost so much weight I thought I’d get you something elegant for your meeting next week.”

It was then that Justin noticed the packages in the back of the Jeep. “I can pick out my own clothes.”

“Sure you can, but I was going for a more mature look. You want to look like you are not only cognitive, but tastefully dressed like an adult, not a high school kid.”

“I would have been a University kid.” Justin’s voice was glum.

“And you will be. But right now you’re my ward and I get to tell you what to do and what to wear.” Brian laughed evilly earning himself a withering glare from Justin.

“I’m starving, I hope we’re going to eat soon.”

“How about that pizza I promised you.”

“It’s too early for pizza. How about MacDonald’s?”

“How about I slit my throat now?” Brian laughed. Justin hadn’t had any fast food for months. Sam believed in proper meals and would never give in to pleas for fast food. It didn’t take him long to find the closest MacDonald’s and turn in. “Drive thru or do you want to go in and play in the ball room?”

“Drive thru.”

“Good call, I don’t want to be kicked out when you stick your fries up your nose.”

“Ha, fucking ha. That joke is getting old.” He leaned forward anxious to see the menu board. It had been months since he’d eaten Micky D’s finest. “I want a number four and upsize the fries. And a six pack of nuggets and a coke.”

“They have salads now.”

“I have salad every day at home.” Justin’s bottom lip went out.

Brian placed the order, adding a salad for himself and a coffee.

He drove them to a secluded corner of the lot, parking under a low hanging tree. “Geeze Justin, wait until I’m parked. I don’t want this shit all over the Jeep.”

Justin, his mouth filled with hot fries wasn’t listening. “This stuff is like crack.” He managed as he swallowed.

Brian laughed and stole a fry before breaking open his salad. “Hey they put chicken on this.”

“You ordered a chicken salad. What did you expect?” Justin offered Brian a bite of his burger. “Try this.”

“No thanks.” Brian added the packaged salad dressing and then took a sip of Justin’s coke.”

“You have coffee.”

“You have coke. I wanted coke.”

RAP, RAP, RAP.

Both Brian and Justin jumped. Michael was pounding on Brian’s window. “Brian, what are you doing here?”

“Eating lunch.” Brian said when he rolled down the window. “What the fuck do you think I’m doing?”

“Hey, that’s Justin, I thought he was dead.”

“Nope still alive.” Justin said between bites of his burger. “I thought you were dead too, but I guess you’re still hanging in there.”

“What’s he doing with you?” Michael asked.

“Oh Brian is taking me to lunch.” Justin replied.

“I wasn’t talking to you.” Michael glared.

“I’m taking Justin to lunch.” Brian continued to eat his salad. “Now run along Mikey, we’re busy.”

“Does Ma know about this?” Michael began. “You never said you knew where Justin was.”

“I don’t report in to your mother or anyone else. No one asked me if I knew where Justin was. Of course I’d know. He was with me.”

“Brian’s my hero.” Justin pretended to swoon.

“Brian’s an asshole.” Michael grumbled. “You know Ma is going to be pissed. She’s always talking about this kid and what happened to him. She was even going to get some cop involved to find his mother.”

“Well now she doesn’t have to go to all of that trouble.” Brian stole the last of Justin’s nuggets. Justin made a swipe for it and ended up hitting himself on the face making Brian snicker.

“Brian, if Justin's okay, why don’t you come to Babylon with me and the guys. It’s best abs night tomorrow night.”

“I already have the best abs. I don’t need to look at a bunch of losers who just want a free drink.” Brian finished his salad and began to gather up the garbage from their meal. He put everything in the bag it came in and handed it out the window. Michael grabbed it without thinking. “Put that in the trash bin for me would you Mikey. I have to take Justin home. It’s time for his nap.”

“Nap, what nap?” Michael asked his hands full of trash. He looked at Brian and then at Justin. “What’s going on? How do you know where he lives?”

Brian started the Jeep and put it in gear. “Have to go Mikey. I’ll see you later.” Backing out of his parking spot, he ignored Michael’s protests.

“I’M TELLING MA.” Drifted into the vehicle. Brian roared out of the MacDonald’s lot.

“Busted.” Justin grinned. “I bet you’ve had me hidden away from everyone all this time. I thought it was strange that none of your friends were bugging us.” Justin took a sip of his coke. He’d managed to save it from Brian’s desire to clear the Jeep.

“I didn’t hide you.” Brian sighed. “I wanted you to be safe and cared for. Your doctor couldn’t give me any kind of a time line for you to return to us. He said you might never recover your cognitive abilities. I had to plan for it. I sure as fuck wasn’t going to have you spend the rest of your life in some state facility. The Chief and I could look after your needs better than any fucking stranger.”

“You did a lot for me Brian. More than I deserved.” Justin’s voice was quiet. “I’m still not right in the head. I might never be, but you don’t ever give up, do you?”

“I’m not giving up and neither are you.” Brian pulled into the underground parking of the Tremont apartment building. “It’s only time. You’ll return to your normal annoying self and I’ll go back to being the selfish asshole you’ve come to know and love.”

“Very funny Brian.” Justin glared at the block wall in front of them. “Did you really sell the loft?”

“Yes I really sold the loft and got a damn good price for it. I bought this place. You know that.”

“Sometimes I remember things that didn’t happen. And sometimes I don’t remember things.”

“Aaaahhhhhh, cognitive frailty in one so young. No more late nights for you young man.” Brian undid Justin’s seat belt before he released his own and got out of the Jeep. He had Justin’s door open before the blond could fumble his way to open it. “Your palace awaits Angel.”

Justin giggled and let Brian pull him to his feet. “I can’t wait. I hope it has a big bed.”

“I hope it does too.” Brian deadpanned.

“It’s your place, you know what size of bed it has.”

“I caught your cognitive frailty.” Brian laughed and twirled Justin around before kissing him soundly.

“You’re very juvenile.”

“I caught that too.” Brian couldn’t remember when he had felt so giddy. Bringing Justin back to Tremont, even if it wasn’t to the loft seemed like some kind of major milestone. “I think I’m having a flashback to your childhood.”

“My childhood?”

“Well mine sucked, so it has to be yours.” Brian opened the door to the building, holding it for Justin. “Not so far to walk. The palace doors are right here.” Sure enough, rather than a sliding door. Justin faced double doors painted deep gray.

“Only one opens, but the presentation is great.” Brian said tongue in cheek. “And what’s even better, is the fact that only you and I have a key.”

“I don’t have a key.”

“Yes you do.” Brian pulled a key ring from his pocket. “Keys to this place, keys to the house and the gate.”

“No shit.” Justin beamed. Brian had opened the door and they walked through. “Hey, not bad.” He didn’t have to move to see the whole apartment. “All your stuff fit in, even your bed.”

“It’s amazing.” Brian said. “The only thing lacking is floor space for doing handstands.”

“You sucked at handstands. This is better.” Justin was walking around touching things and generally checking everything out.  “I like the bed.”

“You always did like the bed.” Brian smiled when Justin threw himself down on the thick navy duvet cover. The kid always loved the way it cushioned him. He sat on the edge of the bed and watched as Justin wiggled and made himself comfortable. “I’m happy.” He stated.

“I’ve never heard you say that before.” Justin pulled Brian down beside him. “I’m glad you’re happy.”

“I’ve never truly been happy before.” Brian sighed. “I know we have a lot of things to work through. You’ve got school to return to and a life to rejoin. But for now, I’m happy.”

“What are we to one another Brian?” Justin dared to ask. “I know we’re friends, good friends. I know you're my guardian, but that’s about to change. But we sleep together, we kiss. What are we?”

“We kiss and we sleep. And yes we’re friends.” Brian stared at the ceiling. “I don’t know Justin. What are we? A boyfriend is too high school and I’m long past that. Partners, well, that’s a commitment that I’m not ready for and neither are you, no matter what you might think. Though we’re going to have to talk about that one. I need to make you my domestic partner in order for you to be on my insurance at work. You have to be cognitive to agree and I have to be insane to agree.”

Justin glared at Brian. “I’m sorry I asked.”

“No, you need to know. You need perimeters defined. I understand it’s something that’s part of your recovery. I just don’t know how to define them. And believe me I’ve given it lots of thought.” He sighed. “Justin, we’re friends. I mean that, you’re probably my best friend. I trust you with everything I am. I need you in my life. I know that now. I like having you in our bed, in our house.”

Justin smiled to himself. He wanted Brian to be more, but he’d heard the word ‘our’ when Brian talked about him. For now that was enough. “It’s okay Brian. I’m happy just the way things are. I’m not so sure about school right now. I don’t want to zone out in class.”

“We’re working on that with the doctor Justin. Think of it as a form of epilepsy. Having epilepsy doesn’t stop people from going to school or work.”

“Yeah, but it’s embarrassing.” Justin rolled over away from Brian’s stare.

“So is living with an eighteen year old when you’re thirty. But I’m still doing it.”

“I’m telling you, it’s like the bashing never happened.  Brian is fucking that kid again.” Michael leaned forward in the booth to emphasize his words.

“That’s not right. I saw Justin and he’s in no way able to make rational decisions. I think Brian has crossed a line that could get him into trouble.” Ted looked sanctimonious.

“Brian should damn well know better than to take advantage of Justin when he’s not well.” Debbie stood beside the booth, hands on her hips. “I’m going to call Melanie and see what can be done to protect Justin’s rights.”

Brian and Justin had both changed into comfortable sweats. They had selected three movies and Justin had made popcorn.

The second movie was almost over, when Justin fell asleep. It wasn’t unusual, he tired easily and they’d had a busy day. Brian stood up, lowered the sound on the movie, but left it on. He found a blanket and covered Justin, kissing him gently on the forehead. He had four more days before Justin’s mental competence would be declared. Four more days before he could make love to him.  Making Justin his domestic partner, that was another thing. He was going to do it. In fact he already had the paperwork ready for Justin’s signature. The whole thing would be done after the meeting at the medical clinic.

“Hey Chief.” Brian spoke quietly into the phone. “We’re going to stay over tonight. Justin fell asleep and I don’t feel like waking him and then driving back to the house.”

“No problem Brian. The dogs are all in their bed for the night. Cat is watching them. I’ll spend the night here. I don’t like to leave the animals alone.”

“Softy.” Brian chuckled and hung up. His cell phone rang, it was Michael so he let it go to voice mail and then turned it off and unplugged the land line. If they were going to spend the night at the apartment, it was going to be a quiet one. At least no one had the number of the house.

Brian turned off the lights, made sure the door was secured and joined Justin on the sofa to watch the end of the movie. Or was that to watch over Justin as he slept.

 

Jimmy and Vanessa joined Justin and Brian in the semi formal courtroom. A family court judge was there as well as two doctors from the medical clinic. The doctors testified that Justin was competent and should be released from his guardianship. The judge signed the order and that was it. Justin was now considered an competent adult.

“Cool, I can vote, get married and join the Army.” Justin said when the courts was dismissed.

“Not today Angel Boy.” Brian drawled. “I have some paperwork for you to sign. Did you bring everything Jimmy?”

“It’s all here. We’ll use the coffee shop on the top floor as our office. Vanessa will be our witness as well as notary.”

“What paperwork?” Justin asked.

“Patience oh jumpy one.” Brian drawled leading them to the elevator.

Soon they were all seated, drinks and sandwiches on the table. “Justin, we need your signature on these papers. They state that you are residing with Brian as his domestic partner. Brian’s already signed everything.” He passed over some papers marked with sticky index papers. “Sign where indicated.” He pulled out another sheaf of paperwork. “These papers are the ones releasing the funds I was holding in trust for you to you to administer.”

“Wow, I thought you only got me a million five.” Justin’s eyes had widened at the amount.

“Brian is good at investing. You made a substantial increase in the principle in the past six months. I’d suggest you consult Brian before moving much of this around. He seems to know what he’s doing.”

“And I thought he was just a pretty face.” Justin teased, surprised when he watched Brian’s face flush. He signed papers and then looked at Brian. “I know you’re not too happy about this whole Domestic partner thing.”

“We own a house and an apartment together. We live in them. We eat and sleep together. With luck we’ll do more than sleep by tonight. What else would you call us?”

“Really friendly roommates.” Justin paused. “Hey, what do you mean we own the house and apartment together?”

“You heard me.” Brian ducked his head.

“It was something Brian and I thought of when you needed care.” Jimmy’s voice was soft. “We felt that you should always be part of what was happening to you. Both of us knew that no matter what the doctors said, you were coming back.”

“Oh.” Justin sighed. “I guess it’s okay then. But I want Brian to have half of my money too.”

“That was awarded to you Angel.” Brian said.

“Then I want papers drawn up giving you half of my assets. I see that you did it for me. Including your power of attorney. Well I want the same.”

“Surprisingly enough, I thought you’d say that.” Vanessa grinned. “I had made up the necessary papers. All you have to do is sign.”

“Why do I feel like I’ve been set up?” Brian and Jimmy said at the same time.

“Wives and domestic partners know how the other half thinks. We’re always ahead of you.” Nessa smirked at her husband and Brian. Justin gave her a high five.

“This isn’t set in stone you know Brian. It’s a lot easier to dissolve a domestic partnership than it is to get a divorce.” His smile wavered for a moment. “And it’s not like this is anyone’s business other than ours. Your friends never have to know what’s taken place here.”

Brian felt a touch of sadness in his heart that Justin referred to the gang as ‘his’ friends. He realized that what the blond said was no doubt true. No one did have to know about what had transpired today. He suspected though that Daphne would know before the day was out. Justin certainly wasn’t ashamed of him and their strange relationship. He’d be bragging to Daphne as soon as he could.

Instead of saying what he was feeling, Brian said. “Why don’t we go somewhere special for lunch?”

“I was just thinking a celebratory lunch would be in order.” Jimmy and Vanessa gathered up the papers. “I’ll keep the original paperwork at my office Brian. We’ll send you and Justin copies tomorrow for your records.

Justin put aside his uneasiness at going to a public restaurant, no doubt a somewhat classy one if he knew Brian. Maybe Brian was right. It was time to put aside his nervousness and rejoin the world. After all, what could happen?

Melanie sat back in her chair and stared at the group gathered in her living room. “Michael, do you have proof that Brian is sleeping with Justin.”

“You mean fucking him don’t you?” Debbie piped up. “I’m sure they don’t do much sleeping.”

Melanie ignored Debbie, her crass nature grated. “Well, do you?”

“I haven’t actually seen them doing it. But they were pretty cozy in the car and you know Brian. It’s not like he’d keep anyone around unless he was fucking him.”

“I know for a fact that Justin still has issues.” Ted piped up. “There’s no way he’s the same boy he was before the bashing. Hell, his own parents gave Brian guardianship over the kid. They didn’t want some mental retard to deal with. Who would?”

“That’s a little harsh don’t you think Ted?” Lindsay asked. “Brian might have guardianship of Justin, but I’m sure it’s only to have him covered by insurance or something like that. He’s hardly the kind of man to have anyone less than perfect actually living with him. Let alone having sexual relations. I think all of you have to be mistaken. Brian would never have sex with someone who is mentally a child.”

“It never stopped him before the bashing.” Melanie smirked. “Justin was seventeen when Brian first picked him up. In my eyes, seventeen is by no means an adult. We all know what Brian did to him then. Perhaps if he’d kept his hands off the boy, this conversation wouldn’t be needed.”

“I have to agree with Melanie.” Michael said with a sigh. “Brian knew how old Justin was right from the first, yet he fucked him and continued to fuck him. Justin’s father had a point when he called Brian a child molester.” He looked at Lindsay. “Would you want someone like Brian having sexual relations with Gus when he’s seventeen?”

“We all know Brian is a predator. His reputation on Liberty Avenue tells us all that.” Melanie began. “What we need to do is find a way to protect Justin from him.”

“Do you know where Justin is living?” Lindsay asked.

“No, I’ve tried to find his mother, but she moved again.” Melanie stood up and began to pace. “Unless we have absolute proof about what Brian has done. Or have Justin to corroborate Brian’s transgressions; we can’t go to the police. We’d only be dismissed. We can’t take him to court without having a police report that ends with the police pressing charges.” She sighed.

“I wish there was something we could do to make Brian have responsibility for his actions.” Michael said. He was thinking that maybe when Brian realized just how stupid he’d been, he’d turn to his best friend.

“We could go to the media with the story.” Ted suggested. “I know someone on the Whispered Agenda, that paper that blows the whistle on celebrities.”

“Brian is hardly a celebrity.” Debbie said. “But I suppose he is important here in Pittsburgh. He’s always saying how great he is in the advertising world. I bet his boss won’t think so when he finds out that Brian is fooling around with some mentally handicapped eighteen year old.”

“I don’t know.” Lindsay began. “Do you really want to ruin Brian in the community? He isn’t really a bad man. He’s a good father to Gus and he has helped us out from time to time.”

“I think it’s about time Kinney gets what he deserves. The only way that bastard will understand what he’s done if it hits him in the pocketbook.” Melanie was a woman with a mission. She saw a way of getting even with her supposed rival and she was going to take it, no matter what.

Brian was early. He usually was. He liked to get a head start on the day at Ryder, read any memos and draft a few to keep people on their toes. He noticed Marty’s office light was on, but didn’t think much of it. Instead he took his two lattes and headed for his office.

“Cynthia, what are doing here so early?” He asked as he flipped on the light in his office. His assistant had been sitting on the sofa, almost as if she was hiding in the dark.

“Brian, haven’t you read this yet?” She held up the latest issue of the Whispered Agenda.”

“I never read that rag. They rarely have any truth in anything they write. If you’ll notice the inside back page is mostly retractions of stories they wrote previously.”

“Well, you’d better sit down for this. The main story complete with a picture of you coming out of Babylon slightly the worse for wear, is something you’d better deal with immediately.” She put the paper on his desk. “Marty is livid. I haven’t talked to him yet, but I’ve heard him screeching on the phone.”

“What the fuck now?” Brian began to read, his eyes getting wider and his face redder as he read a rehash of the Prom bashing. Then the suppositions put together by the paper regarding his relationship with Justin. Their description of the boy was hardly flattering, but it made Brian Kinney look like some kind of perverted child molester. Without actually saying it, the innuendos and the wildly stretched facts made fact out of fiction.

“Is Kinney here yet?” Marty shouted from his office.

“Yes Mr. Ryder.” Cynthia replied. She turned back to Brian. “I don’t know what to do to help you, but anything you need, let me know.”

“Marty.” Brian drawled as he stood in his boss’s doorway. “What can I do for you?”

“I’m not going to discuss this. I put up with your perversions because they didn’t affect the business. But now, now I have to cut my losses. You’re fired. I’m giving you six months severance. I want you out of here immediately. I’ll have Cynthia pack your personal belongings and send them to you.”

“So I’m guilty without having any chance to state my side of the story?” Brian shook his head. “It’s been a slice Marty.” He turned on his heel and left.

“Cynthia, apparently I’m fired. I’ll write down the address to have my things sent to.” Brian pretended not to notice his friend and college’s tears as he wrote out his home address.

“Boss, I can’t stay here without you.” She began.

“Don’t quit because of me. You have to live. I’ll be okay. And Cynthia about the article...”

“Don’t say a word Brian. Of course it isn’t true. Not one damn word. I know you. You’re an honorable man. I know you and Justin were becoming involved before he was injured. But I know you. You’d never do anything to hurt that boy. You love him too much.”

Brian was at a loss for words. “Cynthia.” He began.

She ran over and gave him a hug then reached up and kissed his cheek. “I’ll talk to you later Boss when things settle down.”

Brian left the Ryder Agency. On the ride down the elevator he put on the mask he used to wear to face the world. The walls were up and the mask was in place by the time he reached the lobby. Reporters from the local news station along with a camera crew were stationed on the sidewalk outside the building. Apparently the gossip rag had peaked the interest of the local real news people.

“Mr. Kinney, would you care to comment on the allegations that you have had sexual relations with a mentally challenged teen?”

Brian, impeccably dressed in black Armani, black silk shirt and red tie, walked past the reporter, as if she didn’t exist. He neither acknowledged her nor avoided her. Instead he walked to his Jeep as if she was invisible. Jumping to one side to avoid being walked over, the reporter started to shout questions at the arrogant man. Brian unlocked the Jeep, got in and locked it again. He carefully and deliberately did his seat belt up, put his sunglasses on and started the Jeep. He signaled and moved out into traffic barely avoiding the cameraman who had to jump out of the way. It wouldn’t be a good news bite.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by Moonshadow Woman

Broken Angel – 5

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

“I can’t believe it.” Justin was on top of the world he was so pleased. “No more physical therapy at the clinic.”

The Chief couldn’t help but smile as they approached the elevator that would take them to the street entrance. “That doesn’t mean you have to stop doing your exercises. You need to strengthen your hand eye coordination. But yes, we can do that at home.”

“It’s not like I don’t know what to do.” Justin began. “But coming here every day was a drag. I hate being in with all those people though it does make me appreciate how lucky I am. I mean some of them are never going to regain their old lives. At least I have a chance thanks to you and Brian.”

Sam’s phone began to vibrate. He pulled it out of his pocket and saw that it was Jimmy calling. “I should take this before we get on the elevator, it’s Jimmy.”

“Hey Jimmy, what can I do for you?” The Chief asked. He and Justin stepped aside to let others on the elevator.

Justin watched his friend’s face turn pale as he listened to Jimmy. The old man seemed to age before his eyes and Justin himself began to feel fear that something must have happened to Brian.

“I’ll talk to Justin now, we’re leaving the medical clinic. I’m sure he will want to deal with this immediately. No we haven’t heard from Brian yet. He knows we were at the clinic. Perhaps he didn’t want to disturb us.” Sam closed his phone. He shook his head and looked down at Justin. “You won’t believe the shit that’s been let loose.”

“You might as well tell me everything. It’s about Brian somehow. I can feel it.”

“Yes it’s about Brian. Apparently someone who wishes to remain anonymous, yet is a close friend of yours. These are not my words, but the words published in that rag Whispered Agenda. Has decided to let the world know that Brian is a sexual pervert and pedophile and has been abusing you sexually since he effected your release from the hospital.”

“Holy fuck.” Justin was pale. He could barely breathe, his legs began to tremble and he sat down in the hallway, leaning against a wall. Doing his best to not only control his breathing, but to remain in control of his mind when he wanted to retreat into the nothingness of his bashed brain. “I need to find Brian.”

“Jimmy wants us over at his place. He says it’s important to get this mess straightened out immediately. No doubt he’s already contacted Brian.” Sam held out his hand to Justin and pulled him to his feet.

“This is fucking insane.” Justin began. “I’m going to make sure Brian sues their asses for slander.”

“We need to find out who’s behind this that’s for damn sure.” The elevator door opened and the two of them got in. Both were silent on the way down. Each one lost in thought about the man they both loved. One like a son and one like a husband.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brian was cold inside and out. He felt like all of his life had come to a permanent stop in the middle of some kind of freak snowstorm. He pulled out his phone to call Justin and then threw it on the front seat of his Jeep. What in the hell was he going to say to him? It wasn’t something he could tell him on the phone. Was the whole fucking world insane?

For some reason he found himself in front of the diner. Maybe he should go inside and see if his so called family had heard the latest news. He wondered if one of them had been the so called inner circle ‘source’ of his supposed transgressions. He really didn’t think even Melanie hated him that much.

All sounds stopped when Brian walked through the door. “Well boys and girls. I guess you heard the news.” He said walking in, impeccably dressed, shoulders back and head high.

“Kinney, you get out of this diner NOW.” Debbie stood hands on her hips. “I knew you were trouble right from the start. What you’ve done to Sunshine is a crime.”

“Brian, how could you do that?” Michael asked. “I mean I know the little shit had you under some kind of spell, but geeze; to fuck him when he’s nutso, that’s worse than anything you’ve ever done."

Emmet jumped up from the booth and ran over to Brian throwing his arms around him. “Don’t listen to these people. I know you’d never hurt Justin. You two were meant for each other.”

Brian reached back and took Emmett’s hands. “Don’t wrinkle the Armani.” He said as he glared at the others in the diner. “I guess I know that Emmett wasn’t the ‘friend’ who pulled this little stunt.” He turned around and left, ignoring the loud babbling that filled the diner behind him.

He was going to drive away, but he couldn’t make himself get into the Jeep. He needed to think and the only way he could do that was to walk and clear his head. Hands in his pockets, not caring if he ruined the lining of his jacket. Brian turned from the diner and began to walk. No destination in mind, he just needed time alone to think about what he was going to do. His life was ruined in Pittsburgh as far as he knew. He wasn’t stupid. Once something like this was decided, it would spread like wildfire until he was on the FBI’s Most Wanted List as far as the citizens of the Pitts were concerned.

Would he do it over again? Brian thought back to the first time he saw Justin in that crowded hospital room, broken, lost and alone. Fuck yes, he’d rescue the boy again. He thought about heading for Lindsay’s but figured that Melanie would have poisoned his old friend’s mind, something she’d been trying to do for years. Though Lindsay should at least understand that what he and Justin have isn’t a perversion.

He continued to walk, only now with a purpose. He’d see Gus and Lindsay. Maybe get some kind of perspective on what’s happened.

It took him almost twenty minutes to wind his way through the streets to Lindsay’s home. He often had teased her about living in a rose garden like a good little wanna be Lesbi-WASP. But now walking through the gate and up the path to the veranda, he realized that he and Justin were happy in their home. Why not Lindsay and Melanie?

“Brian.” Lindsay opened the door to his knock. She was holding Gus. “What are you doing here at this time of the day.” She looked out onto the street. “Where’s the Jeep?”

“I walked.” He held out his arms for Gus only to find Lindsay turning away so that Gus remained with her.

“I’m sorry Brian, but Melanie doesn’t want you around Gus.”

“What the fuck are you talking about?” He began to simmer with rage.

“It’s just that with one thing and another. And you know, the thing with Justin. She doesn’t want to take any chances.”

“Any chances on me doing what? He’s my son for fuck sakes. He’s not even two years old. Lindsay, you know me better than that.” Brian was angry and saddened at the same time.

“I thought I knew you Brian. But everyone’s talking about you and Justin. And Justin, well the poor boy isn’t right. It was bad enough before the bashing, but now Brian, really.” Lindsay closed the door leaving Brian standing on the veranda alone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On the way to Jimmy’s, Justin phoned Brian at work. He didn’t call often, preferring to call Brian’s cell number, but the cell was going to voice mail. “Brian Kinney please.” He said when the receptionist answered.

“Mr. Kinney is no longer with the firm. I'm directing all his calls to Brad Smith who has taken on Mr. Kinney’s clients.”

“May I talk to Cynthia, Brian’s assistant?”

“I’m sorry sir, Mr. Kinney is no longer with the firm. I’m unable to put through any calls to Miss Moore regarding Mr. Kinney.” That said, the receptionist broke the connection leaving Justin holding a dead phone.

“Chief, I think Brian’s been fired.” Justin was devastated. He could only imagine how Brian was feeling, his job meant the world to him. He’d worked so hard at becoming the best in the business.

“Those bastards.” The Chief mumbled as he drove toward Jimmy’s home.

“I’ll call Lindsay, she might know where Brian is.”

“Linds, it’s Justin. Have you seen Brian?”

“Justin, Justin, how are you sweetie? I can’t believe you’re calling. It’s been so long since any of us have seen you.”

“Yeah, well I was busy with stuff. I didn’t see much of you guys when I was in the hospital.”

“But you weren’t really with us then honey. I’m sure we all visited as much as possible.”

“Actually, only Brian was there for me. Just like I am for him now. Have you seen him today?” Justin’s voice was no longer friendly. It was hard and tense.

“He did stop by, but Melanie really doesn’t want him here. Not when Gus is home.”

“Oh and why is that Lindsay? Is it because he’s been so good to all three of you? I know that he helps you out financially as much as he can. We’ve talked about it.  I know he hasn’t been able to do much lately, but that will change.”

“You know it’s not about money Justin. I would think that you of all people would understand that Brian isn’t to be trusted. Not that I think he’d do anything to Gus, but people talk and well, as far as Gus is concerned, we really can’t take any chances.”

“Well I hope you have a better lawyer on hand than your wife.” Justin was pissed. “Because you’ll need one when I get through with the both of you. I’ll fucking own everything you have including Gus.” He hung up the phone and looked at the Chief. “That went well.”

“I’m not sure I fully understand what’s happened. But I do know that Brian will be hurting and doing his best not to show it.”

They’d reached Jimmy’s place. Brian’s Jeep wasn’t in the parking area and Justin’s heart lurched when he realized that Brian was still alone. He needed to be with the older man. “I’m telling you Chief, if it takes every cent I have. I’m going after everyone who has anything to do with hurting Brian.” Justin’s eyes were cold blue ice. He could feel that he was barely hanging on inside, but he needed to be strong for the man he loved.

“Jimmy, Vanessa.” Justin walked confidently into the large home/office. “I don’t know what’s going on, but I want it stopped and I want to sue everyone involved for everything they have and then some.”

“I’m already on it.” Jimmy’s eyes, usually a rich brown sugar that twinkled with good humor, were a cold flat black. “This is nothing but shit. Brian Kinney is the trust worthy person I know. Vanessa and I wouldn’t hesitate to have him care for our children.”

“I think that Melanie, one of Gus’ moms, might be behind some of this. She’s always resented Brian being Gus’ father. I liked her well enough, but I don’t trust her.”

“I’ll let the investigator I hired know. He’s an old friend of mine. We can trust him to be quick and honest with everything he finds.”

“There’s something else.” Justin’s voice was harsh with emotion. “Brian has lost his job because of this. I don’t know how they can fire him for something that isn’t job related.”

“Does he have a contract with Ryder?” Jimmy asked.

“Not really. He was hired years ago and has moved up through the ranks to the position he was in. I know Brian was going for a partnership, but that was in the future. It’s only then that contracts are involved maybe. He’s never said if he’s had to sign anything with each promotion.”

“I’ll find out.” Vanessa said. She had a tray with coffee and cookies on it. “You boys need to refuel. I’m going to call Ryder and talk with his assistant.”

“I tried to do that, but they wouldn’t put me through.” Justin took a sip of coffee.

“I have her direct line. I needed it when we were setting up your trust.” Vanessa put her hand on Justin’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, Jimmy will make them pay for hurting our Brian.”

“You’re darn right I will.” Jimmy reached for a cookie. “I love these chocolate chip cookies.” He smiled at his wife. “You put chopped cherries in these.”

“Just a little added love.” She bent and kissed the top of his head. “I’ll make that call.”

Jimmy sat back in his chair when the door shut behind his wife. “Justin, I have to tell you I’m worried about Brian’s reaction to all of this. Especially if his son is involved. I got to know the man rather well when we were working together a few months back. I know he adores his son. But what is important to Brian is respect. He didn’t have it as a child or a young man, but he worked damn hard to earn the respect of his peers. To lose that respect for a lie is going to be hard.”

“I know.” Justin spoke softly. “I wish I knew where he was. I just want to let him know that I didn’t have anything to do with this.”

“He’ll know.” Sam put is hand on Justin’s shoulder and squeezed. “I’m going to see if I can find Brian. I’m sure he’s fine, but he needs friends with him now.”

“Maybe he’s at the diner.” Justin offered. “His best friend Michael should be there, he generally is. Sometimes I think he freaking lives there.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sam drove out to the house first. He wanted to make sure that the gates were secured. He didn’t really expect to see Brian there, but he needed to make certain. He also wanted to see if any reporters had discovered his main residence. When he discovered it was quiet and no one other than the dogs and Cat were home. He was relieved. Brian needed a sanctuary, especially now and this house was his sanctuary.

Seeing Brian’s Jeep at the diner, Sam felt relieved. Maybe here there would be some sanity.  He parked beside the Jeep. When he got out, he could see Brian’s cell phone on the seat. He opened the unlocked vehicle, took the cell and put it in his pocket to give to Brian when he found him inside.

Inside the diner, it was noisier than usual. Discussions were taking place at every booth and the seats along the counter. Everyone had some kind of opinion about Brian. What he didn’t see, was the man in question.

Debbie was standing at the cash register. “I’m Sam, a friend of Brian’s. Have you seen him today?”

“I certainly have and that fucker is not allowed in here. He’s barred for life. We don’t need any perverts in here. Gays have a bad enough time with the bigots.”

Sam looked at her and then at the rest of the patrons, all of whom had quieted in order to hear what this stranger had to say. “So this is where Brian’s friends and family hang out. I can only assume none of them are here. Because anyone who knows the man would be well aware that Brian Kinney is an honest and honorable man. He would no more do what he was accused of, than he would…..” the Chief looked around him. “Than he would do harm to any one of you.”

“Just a damn minute here. I’ve known Kinney since he was fourteen years old. Who are you to tell us about what Brian would or would not do?”  Debbie’s face was red with indignation.

“I’m Brian and Justin’s friend. That’s who I am.” Sam shook his head in disgust, turned with military precision and walked out the door.

Outside he took a few deep cleansing breaths before phoning Jimmy. “Jimmy my boy, we have a problem. Brian was at the diner earlier, his car is here and I have his cell. It was on the front seat. His so called friends here at the diner have all turned on him. I doubt it was pretty. I’m going to keep looking for him.”

“I’ll tell Justin later.” Jimmy paused. “I sent him up to nap in the guest room. He’s using up all his hard earned strength and I’m afraid he’ll go into a fugue state. I’ve started an injunction against that ridiculous paper. My investigator said that they interviewed two people before releasing this story. Someone called Ted Schmidt and Melanie Marcus. Now that information came from a reliable source, someone who has a beef with the paper, but dates the reporter.”

“Now that’s interesting.” Sam said. His eyes scanned the street, always looking for Brian. “I’m thinking that the best way to handle this is to go after custody of Gus using the lies of Melanie Marcus as a starting point. Even if we lose, it’ll give her something to think about. Get the investigator to look into Ms. Marcus’ background. It can’t hurt.”

“Already on it.” Jimmy replied. “You might try the river park a few blocks from Liberty. It’s where we met a few times.”

“I’ll try that. Thanks.” Jimmy closed his phone and looked at Brian’s Jeep. So far there wasn’t any vandalism, but he didn’t know how long it would last. He called a towing company. No reason to take a chance. He’d have the Jeep taken to Jimmy’s. He wasn’t going to chance having it taken to the house or to Brian’s place on Tremont.

He knew the patrons of the diner were watching him. It was interesting that none of them had the balls to come out and see what he was up to. The tow truck came quickly and Sam made the arrangements to have the Jeep taken to Jimmy’s.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Brian sat on a bench only a few feet from the riverbank. He was stretched out, his shoes almost touching the edge where the rocks headed down to the water. His feet ached and he was sure that despite his expensive Pradas, he had a few blisters. He’d never put them to the test of walking miles of concrete sidewalks before.

His mind was filled with a thousand different scenarios as he tried to figure out how the fuck his life had become shit in less than twenty four hours.  As far as Gus was concerned, as soon as he could he was taking Melanie to court. Damned if he was going to give up any rights he had to Gus. Justin, Justin was another thing. He needed him more than ever. Today finally made him sit up and take notice. Like his father always said ‘ shit or get off the pot’. Justin was his partner, his legal domestic partner. It wasn’t just a piece of paper. Fuck the insurance, they didn’t need it. He was his partner in every way.

“Hey Brian, I’ve been looking for you.” Sam sat down beside his friend.

“Hey Sam, sorry, I should have called but I don’t have my phone.”

“I have it.” Sam pulled Brian’s phone out of his pocket and gave it to him. “It was in the Jeep. I had the Jeep towed to Jimmy’s.”

“Thanks, no doubt my very best friend would have had it trashed if he’d thought about it.” Brian shrugged. “I guess things are fucked up. But I did learn something that I should have years ago. I have very few friends these days that I can count on. And the gang at the diner don’t number among them.”

“We all move on from our childhood. We make friends and we lose them. It’s life.” Sam shrugged. “You’ve got a worried young man waiting for you back at Jimmy’s.”

“I should call him. I just didn’t know what to say.” Brian’s voice was flat almost lifeless. “They won’t let me see Gus and to make my day perfect, I’m out of a job.”

“Does your job define your life?” Sam asked. He hated to see his friend hurting.

“No, not really.”

“Good because when Jimmy is through with the Ryder Agency, you’ll own it. You can shut the place down and walk away. Marty Ryder can go fuck himself.”

Brian gave a halfhearted laugh. “Jimmy’s pissed.”

“Actually it’s Justin who’s pissed. Jimmy’s just trying to restrain the lad from tearing them all limb from limb. You’ve got one little spitfire there.”

“He’s not a broken angel anymore is he Chief?” Brian smiled to himself as he thought of Justin coming to his aid.

“Not by a long shot.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Justin watched from the guest room window as Brian’s Jeep was towed into place. He’d overheard Jimmy and the tow truck driver, so he knew that it was towed here to keep it safe. Hearing those words and surmising the rest, Justin pulled himself together. It was time the gang at the diner heard his two cents worth.

He stopped at Vanessa’s desk on his way out. “Can you call me a cab Nessa?” he asked. “I need to do an errand before the Chief gets here with Brian.”

“Are you sure you’re up for it?” She asked. “It’s been quite the day.”

“Just call please.” Justin smiled. “I know what I’m doing.”

It wasn’t long before Justin was standing at the door of the diner. He wasn’t sure who was there, but he was going to make sure that at least Debbie knew Brian was innocent of the lies being told.

“SUNSHINE!” Debbie screeched when he stepped inside. She started for him but he put up his hand and shook his head.

“I’m not here to have some kind of reunion.” He looked around and found not only Michael in the back booth, but Ted and Melanie. “Well how lovely. All the little liars are here.”

“Just a damn minute here Sunshine.” Debbie began. “We’ve been worried about you.”

“Not too worried to actually visit me in the hospital, or to check on me once I was out.” Justin walked to the booth. “Just for your information. I am completely sane. I have two doctors and a judge who has given me the papers to prove I’m sane. Brian made sure I received the best treatment money can buy to get me that way. He never once, not once, treated me any way other than as a good friend from the time he sprung me from the hospital until the other night. We signed the papers making us domestic partners. It was our wedding night so to speak. And trust me it was a long time coming.”

He paused as he watched the looks on their shocked faces. “Enjoy yourselves, all of you. You will never receive a dollar from Brian again. You will never have the comfort of his friendship and guidance. You will never even see him again once we are all finished in court. You, all of you are finished being part of our lives. I’m the lucky one here. I’ve got Brian and since none of you were my friends, I haven’t lost a damn thing.”

“You can’t speak to me like that, after all I’ve done for you.” Debbie began.

“You let me live in your home. For that I thank you and I’m sure the money Brian gave you for my room and board also helped you with that decision. But turning on Brian who thought of you as not only a friend but a surrogate mother. That was unforgivable. I won’t forget and I won’t forgive.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter 6 by Moonshadow Woman

Broken Angel – 6

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

“Will the court please rise?”

“In the matter of Brian Kinney verses Whispered Agenda. This court finds Whispered Agenda guilty on all counts of libel and awards Brian Kinney an award  five million dollars.”

At first there was a hush of silence then Justin’s quiet voice said. “Thanks Jimmy, you were great up there.”

Brian stood tall and proud. It was the first of a long line of court battles, but everything else hinged on this one. Refusing to look at the people sitting in the court audience, he gave Justin a tender kiss, hugged Sam and Vanessa and shook Jimmy’s hand.

The next court day was the day after tomorrow. He was suing for joint custody of Gus. His wrongful dismissal case was being heard the next week. Marty Ryder had better be checking his bank balance because this decision made that case's outcome a sure thing.

“Brian, Brian!” Michael tried to get his attention but Brian deliberately turned to Justin and Jimmy. “We’ll leave when they clear the room.” He hadn’t spoken to Michael since that day in the diner six months earlier.

When they finally did leave. Brian and Justin refused to look at or listen to any of the pleas for attention that surrounded them. On the courthouse step, Jimmy had arranged for a short press announcement. Brian and Justin, both dressed in Hugo Boss and looking confident, stood beside each other in front of the microphones. Justin looked at Brian and spoke with assurance. “This is the first of many triumphs for Brian Kinney. Today Whispered Agenda learned a valuable lesson. Perhaps they will take this lesson to heart and do a bit of research before attempting to libel someone.” He stepped back, smiled at Brian and took his hand. The two of them walked quickly and with self-assurance to the waiting limo.

Jimmy and Sam followed Justin and Brian into the stretched car. “Vanessa is filing the papers regarding the payment schedule for Brian’s award.  She’ll meet us at the house when she’s finished.”

Brian held himself still. He was going on adrenaline and bravado. Listening to Justin testify had been harder than he’d thought. He knew the kid loved him, but hearing him tell the court about his hospital stay and what led up to it. And then how he was rescued and was believed in by Brian until he began to believe it himself. It was a combination of embarrassment and pride in the blond. And he realized that for the first time in his life, he was loved unconditionally.

He wished this could be all over with. He wasn’t looking forward to dealing with the lesbians. Though he couldn’t wait to put the screws to Ryder Advertising.

Jimmy’s phone rang. “What’s up Vanessa?”

“No shit. I’ll tell Brian. Set up the meeting for noon tomorrow in our boardroom.”

When Jimmy disconnected he turned to Brian and grinned. “Your old boss Marty Ryder is running scared. He wants to settle out of court.”

“Is this a good thing?” Justin asked. “I don’t want Brian getting less than he’s entitled to. And I mean enough that Marty Ryder is seriously hurting.”

Brian put a hand on Justin’s knee and squeezed. “Angel, let’s not be greedy.” He grinned. “He doesn’t have to be seriously hurting, hurting slightly is enough.”

“No way. It’s seriously hurting I’m going for. That son of a bitch fired you without cause. I hope we ruin him.” Justin’s eyes blazed.

“You should be a nice Angel Boy, not a Vindictive Angel.” Brian kissed his cheek.

“You're too nice.” Justin leaned against Brian. “I know I should show mercy. I will. I’ll show just as much mercy as Marty Ryder did to you.”

“Remind me to never piss off your partner.” Jimmy laughed. “Trust me Justin, I have a number in mind for a settlement from Ryder. He either meets or beats it, or we go to court.”

“Cool.” Justin wiggled with excitement.

Brian smiled to himself. His partner was an adult in so many ways, but he was still very young. “Justin aced his last exams.” Brian said to Jimmy. “He’s definitely on the fast track to getting his degree in Business Administration.”

Justin flushed. “I need something to keep my mind from going mushy. And a degree in business can come in handy.”

“Are you doing anything with your art?” Jimmy asked. “You haven’t talked about it in a long while.”

“I do a bit here and there.” Justin’s voice showed his pain. “I still don’t have the hand eye coordination I need, though my therapist says I’m improving.” He looked at Brian.

“He is improving.” Brian had taken over Justin’s therapy, learning all he needed on the Internet and coordinating it with a friend who had his degree in physical therapy. He was inventive in the various ways he had Justin work his hands. “And his photos are amazing; good enough to show.”

“Yes Daddy.” Justin teased. “I’m not interested in showing my photographs. I take them for future reference.” He looked at Jimmy and then out the window. “I’d like to be at the meeting tomorrow.”

“I suppose you’ll be leaving me at home.” Brian sighed. “I know it’s hard to believe, since I’m so ancient, but I do know how to negotiate.”

“Of course you can negotiate.” Justin picked up one of Brian’s hands and brought it to his lips. “But nothing says negotiate better than the supposed ‘child’ who you were accused of molesting. Not to mention that you are an old softy. I’m not.”

“He’s right.” Jimmy said. “You would have settled out of court with Whispered Agenda. But Justin knew that taking them to trial would create enough of a stir that your exoneration along with the settlement would be widely broadcast. It has set the tone for tomorrow as well as for your joint custody case.”

“Fine, I’m busy tomorrow anyway.” He looked pleased with himself. “I have a couple of properties to view. Sam and I are going to look at them and then pick up groceries. Who would have thought I could be so domestic?”

“Riiiiiight.” Justin could only imagine the kind of food that was going to be brought into the house. He’d have to stop at the market after the meeting. Brian’s idea about food wasn’t his idea.

“I can be domestic.” Brian laughed. “Though I figured I’d at least be a few years older before the domestic bug bit me.”

“You are NOT domestic, much as you might delude yourself.” Justin smiled. “But I love it when you try.” He had a faraway look on his face as he remembered the day before when Brian, stripped down to his partially buttoned jeans, bare chest glistening with sweat as he built a cupboard in Justin’s studio. The cupboard was barely built when Justin had Brian on the floor devouring his lips, kissing him until the older man was breathless. "You're good at woodwork."

“You just like carpenters.” Brian ruffled Justin’s hair. “If I recall.”

“Okay you two. I know where this is going. Straight men are in the car with you.”

“It’s nothing I haven’t seen before.” Sam drawled. “I live vicariously through these guys.”

“Eeew.” Justin said with a grin though he allowed Brian to pull him close as the limo continued.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Marty Ryder and his lawyer were alone in the conference room. Marty was twitchy, he knew he’d been too hasty. His clients were clamoring for Brian, the office staff were in a turmoil. They hadn’t had a decent proposal since Brian left. It was only after the first day that he’d realized that ninety percent of Ryder’s business had been brought in by Brian. He needed him back. He sure as hell didn’t need to pay Kinney any kind of wildly inflated settlement for wrongful dismissal.

The door opened and Jimmy Dobson walked in followed by Justin. Both men were dressed impeccably. “Gentlemen.” Jimmy said and sat down. Justin took a seat beside him facing Marty Ryder.

“Where is Brian?” Marty asked.

“Mr. Kinney has a previous commitment.” Justin replied. “I’m Justin Taylor, the supposed ‘child’ you referred to when you fired Mr. Kinney. I represent his interests in this matter.”

It was apparent to everyone, that Justin was no child. He spoke with a tone of voice that only a person brought up in a upper class WASP household could use. It was apparent that he considered Marty Ryder beneath him.

For the first time, both Marty and his lawyer were nervous.

“I’ll get right to the point.” Jimmy began. “So we don’t waste anyone’s time. Mr. Kinney will accept no less than three million five hundred thousand as a settlement figure. If that is unacceptable we will continue this in court.”

“Our offer is five hundred thousand.” The lawyer for Ryder said. “Your amount is ridiculous.”

“Brian is out of his mind.” Marty began. “If he thinks I’m going to give him my company because that’s what his settlement amounts to.”

“Mr. Ryder.” Justin’s voice was ice. “You dismissed Mr. Kinney in a rude and abrupt manner without taking the time to discuss the situation with him. You then took the time to let a number of major advertising firms know that you did this and why which is slander; several counts actually.”

Marty shuddered. He didn’t know how this young man knew that little fact.

“In doing so, you effectively cost Mr. Kinney his reputation as an honest man. And did your best to make sure he was unable to continue in his choicen profession. Mr. Kinney is entitled to every cent of this settlement as well as an apology.”

“We'd be willing to offer Mr. Kinney seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars and his old position with the firm.” The lawyer began.

Justin smiled, his smile reminded Marty of a shark. “Mr. Kinney will never work for or with Marty Ryder ever again. The settlement we put forth still stands.” He stood up as did Jimmy. “We'll leave you to discuss this between yourselves. Let Vanessa know when you’ve reached a decision. The offer is only open until three today.”

Justin and Jimmy left the room.

When the door closed Jimmy looked at Justin. “I’m not sure they’re going to take this. I’ve studied the company and it will severely cut into Ryder’s assets.”

“He has to hurt as much as Brian did.” Justin headed for the kitchen. “I sure hope Vanessa made cookies. I’m starving.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cynthia finished packing up her personal belongings. She’d been at Ryder almost as long as Brian had. Unlike Brian, she’d accumulated a lot of things in her office over the years. She called one of the office boys in and directed him to take the boxes down to her car.

“Are you quitting Miss Moore?” he asked.

“I like to think of it as leaving for better job opportunities.” She said with a smile as they walked to the elevator. There wasn’t a chance in hell she was going to stay without Brian. And he was never coming back. She had some savings, so she wasn’t going to rush into just any kind of job. She had time to be choosy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It took Marty Ryder and his lawyer almost thirty minutes of phone calls and discussion to realize that the negative publicity around Brian’s dismissal was something the firm didn’t need. A court case would bring everything up again and Brian’s clients were already pissed with Ryder. He’d lose more than half of them if it went to trial.

Vanessa found Jimmy and Justin in Jimmy’s studio studying his latest glass sculpture. “Hey.” Justin kissed her cheek. “The two goons ready to talk?”

“Yes and they don’t look happy.” She returned his kiss and then kissed her husband. “I like that. Where in the world did you get the idea to blend the blues and purples like that?”

“That’s all Justin.” Jimmy beamed.

“Yep, I don’t dare try and touch the glass myself for fear of suddenly poking myself in the eye or something. But I still have that internal need for color. It looks pretty cool doesn’t it?”

“It looks amazing.” Vanessa beamed.

“Time to head back into battle.” Jimmy dusted his hands and took off the heavy apron he wore over his suit.

Justin walked into the conference room ahead of Jimmy this time. “Gentlemen, have you made your decision?”

“Yes and for the record this is outright robbery.” Marty choked out.

“I don’t see a gun to your head.” Justin looked hard at Marty. “Think of this as a valuable lesson learned.”

“We agree to the three point five, spread over ten years.”

“No, you must have heard me wrong. It’s three point five in one payment made today.” Justin’s voice was clear and inflexible. “We are giving you the same amount of time to pay up as you, Mr. Ryder gave Brian to vacate his office. I think that’s only fair, don’t you?”

“Brian would give me time to pay. He knows my circumstances.” Marty began. “Where is he? He should be here, this is an important meeting.”

“I believe I mentioned that I stand for Brian.” Justin said. “After all it was my body and reputation you were besmirching when you got rid of Brian. You have until three to give Vanessa your certified check.” He turned and left the room.

“What’s wrong with that man? He refuses to listen to reason.” Marty began. “Maybe now that he’s gone we can deal with this problem like adults.”

“Three o’clock gentlemen. You don’t have much time.” Jimmy turned to leave the room. “I’d suggest you comply. Mr. Taylor has already shown his adversarial abilities in court once. You may find Mr. Kinney owning the Ryder Agency. Three point five will at least let you hold on to your business. Do you want to chance this in court? It’s certainly up to you. Mr. Kinney and Mr. Taylor will fight this without letting up and I’ll be right beside them winning again.”

An hour later, Jimmy found Justin back in his studio. The blond was rearranging pieces of glass on a large table. He wore gloves and protective goggles. “I thought I’d let you know that a bank draft has been delivered.” Jimmy grinned. “You were right. They caved.” Justin smiled shy at the ending of their second battle.

“One more major battle to go.”

“Yes, I have a meeting with the family court advisor tomorrow. I’ll be presenting Brian’s petition and all the paper work we’ve gathered. Miss Marcus will be lucky to keep her law license when all is said and done.”

“I’ll be glad when all this is over. It’s taking a toll on Brian, though he tries his best to hide it. No matter what everyone thought about him, he’s never been cold and unfeeling. He’s always been putty in the hands of anyone he’s been close to. I think they all knew it and used it for everything they could get. Brian will never admit it though. I wonder how the last six months with no money from Mr. Kinney, has felt to all of them. He must have left at least a hundred bucks or more each week for Deb in tips alone.”

“That will be in our favor. When we present our terms on the custody arrangements, both mothers will figure that in time Brian will relent. He always has before.”

“He might want to relent, but trust me Jimmy, I won’t. He's been hurt once too often by those bitches. There won’t be a repeat ever again.”

“We’ll all have his back Justin.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Damn Brian do you have to do that?” Justin stood with his hands on his hips watching his lover work.

“I’m building a wall. Yes I have to do it.” Brian wiggled his ass at Justin as he leaned down to heft another rock into place.

“But you never wear a shirt and you know what that does to me.” Justin tried not to whine.

“You channeling Mikey, my widdle Angel Boy?” Brian teased. He loved to see Justin flush.

“You were supposed to be with Sam looking at some properties.”

“We did and we both decided that this is the place we want to stay. So I’m building a wall. A great big wall. It will go all around the property and be six feet high.”

“Are you two freaking insane?” Justin shook his head as he bent down and picked up a smaller piece of rock to fit in an empty space. “It’ll take months for this wall to be done.”

“Not really since we have a crew coming in tomorrow. I just wanted to get started on this part.”

“When did you have the foundation done? I don’t remember seeing anyone working.”

“Ahhhhhh, but you aren’t all that observant when I have my cock down your throat. It was a surprise for you. We started days ago at the rear and sides of the land.”

“Oh.” Was all Justin could think of saying. Brian was right, he had been distracted every time he went near a window. His domestic partner was always distracting him. He kind of liked it.

Brian wiggled his eyebrows at Justin, making him laugh. “So how did the meeting go with Ryder?”

“Oh, seeing you all sweaty and half naked made me forget. You are richer by three point five million. And Jimmy made them pay costs as well.”

“Go Jimmy.” Brian smiled. “We’re getting closer and closer to making our dreams come true. Have you decided yet where we are going to live when we aren’t here?”

“I don’t care. Wherever you are.”

“I’ll be with you Angel Boy.” Brian lifted another large rock. “Find someplace for us that’s warmer than the Pitts. We’ll be there January thru June.”

“I was thinking Tahiti.” Justin said, sitting on a large rock, the better to admire his very own sex god.

“Tahiti's good. We’ll go there after we deal with the lesbians and find a place that suits.” He paused. “Why Tahiti?”

“We’ll get a place on the ocean and secluded enough to keep you without clothing most of the time. Think of it as inspiration for me.”

“I’m always willing to help you in your art.” Brian laughed. “We’ll pack lots of sunscreen for you.”

Brian had spent the last six months working on their home. It was five thousand square feet of never ending repair and renovations. He loved it. He’d never had the time to do anything other than work for Ryder. He’d thought that’s all that mattered in life. Now he was finding joy in working with his hands. He hadn’t smoked or done any kind of drugs since Justin came to live with him. He rarely had a drink and his body was developing into something to be proud of because of it. He’d always been good looking, but now he was drop dead gorgeous thanks to his clean living.

Stress lines were gone from his face and he carried himself differently. It was only lately that he realized he’d always walked around as if someone was going to attack him. It had to be a leftover behavior from his childhood. Since he had rescued Justin and the boy had recovered, Justin had shown him a strength of will that was extraordinary. He cared for Brian, watched out for him and showed him everyday how much he was loved. Even after all these months, the feeling never got old as far as Brian was concerned.

Justin knew that no matter what money they received, it wouldn’t be enough to live on forever. Not the way Brian liked to spend. He was going to get his degree in business and put it to use increasing their wealth. He was surprised that Brian felt no great need to go back into advertising. In fact his lover had declared that he was never going to do it again. He insisted that it was time for a change in his life and had been writing a book when he wasn’t working on the house.

Justin didn’t care. As long as Brian was happy. And Justin knew the older man was happy and what’s more Brian didn’t mind admitting it. Something he never would have done before the bashing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Mel, I think we need to discuss this with Brian before we go to court. It just isn’t right to drag him through a court case after everything that’s happened.” Lindsay handed her wife a cup of tea before sitting at the kitchen table herself.

“I’m not talking to that son of a bitch. He wants to take Gus away from us and I’m damned if I’m going to let him but it can cost me dearly.” Her face was twisted in an angry snarl making Lindsay draw back in surprise.

“What are you afraid of Mel? You know Brian really doesn’t have any rights. He did sign the papers when Gus was born. What can he do now? Of course we should apologize for believing that stuff with Justin”…. Her voice trailed off.

“I didn’t file the papers.” Melanie mumbled. “At the time a lot was happening. I forgot to file them and then it was too late. I didn’t think it would matter.”

“Oh dear.” Lindsay looked over to where Gus was playing in his playpen. “I didn’t know that.”

“And the amount of money he gave to us in the first year of Gus’ life was well over ten thousand dollars. It all adds up to the fact that he's not only Gus’ father, but that he supported him as well. We took the money; therefore, we acknowledged his place in the child’s life.” She sighed. “When I went to the paper with Brian’s story, I didn’t think I could be traced, but I was with one thing and another. I’m going up before the Bar for what I knowingly did. I love Gus, but I don’t know now whether it’s all worth it. I could lose my license to practice law.”

“Melanie, you don’t mean that.” Lindsay was appalled at what her wife said. “Gus is our son.”

“No, Gus is yours and Brian’s, I’m just his part time caregiver. It’s always been like that and you know it. Now I’m going to lose my career over the kid and your old flame.” Melanie pushed herself away from the table. “I don’t think it’s worth it.”

Lindsay sat at the table alone. Tears fell unnoticed as she watched her son playing. The woman she thought she loved was some kind of stranger and now she didn’t even have Brian to turn to. She’d ruined that. She only had herself to blame.

Reluctantly, Lindsay got on the phone and called Jimmy Dobson. It was time to make things right.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Justin walked into Jimmy’s office. Lindsay sat in one of the chairs across from his desk holding Gus who was anxious to get off his mother’s knee.

“Hey Gus.” Justin knelt down and held out his arms. The child threw himself into Justin’s arms.

“Da Da?” the boy looked over Justin’s shoulder.

“Your daddy isn’t here right now. But he wants you to know that he misses you and loves you very much.” Justin kissed Gus on the forehead.

“Where is Brian? We have things to discuss.” Lindsay began, her voice haughty.

“Sorry Linds, but you forfeited the right to ever see or talk to Brian again. He doesn’t want anything to do with you. I represent Brian’s interests in this matter.”

He turned to his friend. “Jimmy have you explained the custody agreement?”

“Yes I have.” Jimmy sat back. He rather enjoyed letting Justin take over. “I’m afraid that Miss Peterson doesn’t want to sign the necessary papers.”

“It’s up to you Linds. You won’t see Brian in court any more than you’ll see him now. He’s already met with the judge and it has been agreed that his statement will stand as is. He’s been investigated by Child Protective Services and passed with flying colors, as have I as Brian’s life partner. Our home has been approved as well. We’re all set to go.”

“This agreement is ridiculous. He wants joint custody. He wants Gus for six months of every year, from July 1st to December 31st. He’s a baby now, but when he’s in school that means I won’t see him on his birthday, or his first day of school or thanksgiving or Christmas.”

“Indeed.” Justin said. He was sitting on the sofa with Gus leaning into him, the child’s head on Justin’s shoulder. “Since Brian is Gus’ father I think that’s fair. The child needs at least one parent with integrity in his life even if it's only for six months of the year.”

“This isn’t Brian speaking, it’s you. I won’t sign anything without speaking to Brian.”

“Maybe it’s time you played the tape for Lindsay.” Justin suggested. “Brian's rather clear about his demands.”

Jimmy pushed a button and suddenly Brian’s voice was heard.

“Da DA?” Gus sat up.

“Not yet baby.” Justin whispered.

"Jimmy, Justin has my full power of attorney to act on my behalf in this matter. I do not want any contact with Melanie Marcus or Lindsay Peterson. When the papers have been signed, make sure that they're aware that Justin and only Justin, will pick up Gus at the beginning of each period and will deliver him when the time is up. If it's necessary for medical reasons or reasons of emergency to contact me during the time period that Gus spends with his mothers, then they'll contact your office Jimmy and you in turn will let me know what’s up.”

There was silence in the office.

“He sounds so cold and hurt.” Lindsay sniffed.

“Yes he does. It hurt him more than you can know when you believed the lies that were spoken and withheld Gus from him.” Justin shook his head. “He expected that you of all people would know him better.”

“But to lose Gus for six months each year and those particular six months....” Lindsay didn’t know what to say.

“Where is your wife? Shouldn’t she be here?” Justin asked.

“She’s in court today. She couldn’t come on such short notice.” Lindsay looked down at her hands. “I wanted to settle this without going to court.”

“It’s out of your hands Lindsay once Family Court and Child Protective Services are involved. They and they alone have to make the decisions based on what’s best for Gus, and not you or Brian either for that matter.”

“Then what’s the point of signing these papers?” Lindsay asked indicating the file on Jimmy’s desk.

“It adds a positive light to what the Family Court has to say. They’ll know that you care for your child as does Brian and we have agreed.”

“I love Gus with all my heart.” Lindsay replied.

“As does his father.” Justin kissed the child again. “As do I. Had you and Melanie been reasonable, Brian would have been as well. But you chose to keep him away from his son. You used Gus as a tool to manipulate Brian. It has ended. The courts will make it clear just what rights you have and Brian has. No more manipulation.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by Moonshadow Woman

Broken Angel – 7

Author: Elsa Rose Bryant

 

“Dad, why do we have a fence made of rocks?” Gus at four was as inquisitive as always. “It’s like a castle.”

 

“We even have a princess.” Brian joked. “Her name is Justin.”

 

“Daaad.” Gus said but giggled. “Poppa has blond hair just like the princesses in my books.”

 

“See, I told you we have a princess.” Brian ruffled the boy’s hair as they continued to walk. “I like rocks. I built this fence to keep all the bad guys out and the good guys in.”

 

“Did it work?”

 

“It has so far.” Brian grinned. “Sonny get your furry ass back here.” He called to the dog that is one of the pups from Maizie’s brood. “I don’t know why those dogs keep chasing Cat, one of these days they’re going to lose a nose.”

 

“You always say that.” Gus giggled. “But they have noses. We’ve got more dogs than anyone in my whole class.” Gus attended a nursery school in preparation for kindergarten the next year.

 

“One dog for each kid. It’s a rule.” Brian laughed at the kids and dogs chasing each other in the kitchen garden.

 

“We’ve got lots of kids too.” Gus loved all the boys and girls who lived with his daddies. It was like having lots and lots of big brothers and sisters. “How come they don’t have to go live with their mothers part of the time like I do?”

 

“We’ve talked about this before Gus. Your mothers and I made an agreement to share you. You can decide when you’re older if you want to stay longer with us or with your mothers. But for now this is the way things are. Besides some of the other kids don’t have any parents that want them. Poppa and I are they’re only parents. He and Justin had adopted and brought home the first of their brood when they’d made the initial Tahitian trip. In the next couple of years, they’d added to the group.

 

“Aunt Cynthia says you are an old softy.” Gus giggled. “I told Poppa and he said you were too.”

 

“Aunt Cynthia and Poppa are full of s.. sugar.” Brian smiled. “Let’s catch up with the gang before Sonny tears up all the doggy toys.” Sonny had a desire to destroy all stuffed dog toys and worked hard at ripping them up spreading stuffing from one end of a room or yard to the other.

 

“How come Aunt Cynthia calls you Boss?” Gus had asked this question before. Brian often wondered why.

 

“Because she works for me and Poppa. She looks after all the stuff we don’t like to do in the office.”

 

“But her little girl calls you Da.”

 

“Emmy is my little girl, just like you are my little boy. She’s your sister, just like Bray is your brother.” He was referring to Justin’s son by Daphne.

 

“Bray is just a baby, he doesn’t count as a brother. I like Emmy though, she’s cool.” Gus ran ahead to join the older children who were playing soccer with the dogs and each other.

 

“Hey stud.” Justin appeared from behind the garage. “We’ve got quite the game going on. Do you want to join?”

 

“No, you guys are too much for me.” Brian pretended to limp.

 

“Bray is finally sleeping. I thought I’d steal a few minutes of no baby. Cynthia and the Chief said they’d deal with him.”

 

“He's a demanding little bugger, just like his daddy.” He looked around. “Where’s Emmy?”

 

“Nap time.” He looked up at Brian and batted his lashes. “Want to have a nap too?”

 

Brian laughed and pulled Justin close for a kiss. “Sounds like a plan.”

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

Two and half years earlier

 

Justin ran in the house. “BRIAN, BRIAN.” He was jubilant. “WE DID IT, WE DID IT.”

 

“Calm down Angel. We did what?” Brian had been on the treadmill. He strolled out of the exercise room a towel around his neck.

 

“Lindsay signed the papers. We have Gus every year for six months until he gets sick of us.”

 

“No shit.” Brian couldn’t help but grin. “So we have two months to go before he’s ours for six months.”

 

“Two months to get ready, to find our home in Tahiti and get back here.” Justin wiggled in Brian’s arms. “Let’s get packing.”

 

“Hold on Angel Boy, we need to get some ducks in a row. We need someone we can trust to handle our business dealings here in the States. The Chief will have our back as far as the house is concerned and Jimmy and Vanessa will do the legal stuff. But we need someone like Cynthia for all the rest.”

 

“Why not Cynthia?” Justin asked.

 

“She wouldn't want to work for me like this. The girl has moxie.”

 

“Ask her.”

 

“That’s ridiculous.”

 

“Chicken.”

 

“Okay, okay, I’ll ask.”

 

Brian and Justin both were nervous. Brian had called Cynthia at home and was surprised when she agreed to come to their home. She was the first person other than Jimmy and Vanessa to see their sanctuary.

 

“Hey Boss.” Cynthia said with a grin as she gave Brian a hug. “Hey Justin.”

 

“What no hug for me?” Justin pretended to be hurt.

 

“Of course I’ll give you a hug.” And she did. “Now boys, I need a coffee and all the gossip and news since I saw you last.”

 

“You might want a drink for this one.” Brian drawled.

 

“Nope, I’m alcohol free. I want to be inseminated in a week. I’ve decided my biological clock is on full alarm. It’s the perfect time for a baby. I’m going to pick one at the Womens’ Clinic, the father that is.”

 

“Oh, well then...” Brian looked disappointed.

 

“We wanted you to be our Executive Assistant or Girl Friday, or PA or what ever.” Justin blurted out. “We need you and your organizational skills.”

 

He handed her a cup of coffee and found the cookie jar in the kitchen. “Have a seat.” Brian sat down and indicated a chair for Cynthia. “I didn’t know you’d left Ryder until I called earlier today.”

 

“Yes, I’m not going to work for Bob or Brad.” Cynthia snorted. “We were a team, they're no talent tyrants.”

 

“We would like you to come and work for us in the same way you did when I was at Ryder. We have a number of business interests and we need someone to keep track of everything including our finances. I know you have a degree in Accounting.”

 

“I do, I don’t like doing accounting, but I can do it.” She grinned at them. “It’s a deal with one condition. I want your sperm Brian. I might as well have you as a father to my child. You would share parental rights, and Justin too. I could even live here. The place looks large enough.”

 

“Woah.” Brian’s eyes were wide as were Justin’s. “That was unexpected.”

 

“You always wanted another child.” Justin blinked and then smiled. “Daphne said she’d have one for me when she’s finished her premed. It’s not like we can’t afford it and….”

 

“Stop right there Angel Boy.” Brian looked at Cynthia. “I’m not fucking you.”

 

She laughed. “Damn, so much for that plan. “You can go to the clinic with me next week and donate into a cup. The doctors and staff will do the rest.”

 

“We could put an addition on so that Cynthia would have her own suite of rooms.” Justin added. “I’ll use that software program I just bought to design something.” He looked at Cynthia. “We only have a few weeks to find a place in Tahiti before we get Gus for six months. You’d have to get the bids for the project and work with the contractors until we get back.”

 

“So Angel Boy, you think this is a done deal. You’re very free with my sperm.” Brian wasn’t sure this was such a good idea, but Justin was right, he did want more children.

 

“Pretend it’s the old days. You were always squirting into one orifice or another.”

 

Cynthia groaned and hid her eyes.

 

“I wouldn’t talk Angel.” Brian pulled him down onto his knees making Justin laugh. “I couldn’t imagine anyone I’d rather have a child with. Cynthia it’s a deal.”

 

Later that night as Justin lay in Brian’s arms. “We’re really going to have a baby with Cynthia. A little brother or sister for Gus.” Justin snuggled closer. “I’m happy Brian. And kind of nervous at the same time.”

 

“Why? It’s Cynthia who has to do all the work.” Brian grinned. “And when the little rug rat comes, you can help change diapers and feed it.”

 

“Special needs gimp here.” Justin waved a hand erratically. “Don’t want to drop the kid on his head or stick the bottle in his ear.”

 

“Special needs gimp that can work on getting more control. I notice you do damn good with my dick.”

 

“Not really, you just don’t seem to mind inconsistent hand jobs. As long as the result is the same, you’re happy.”

 

“I thought you were being inventive.”

 

“Your glass is always half full as far as hand jobs are concerned.” Justin smirked and leaned over to nip at one of Brian’s nipples. “I love that about you.”

 

“Our plane leaves right after I jerk off into a cup. Apparently they keep the leftovers on hand in case the first time doesn’t take.” Brian shuddered. “The yuck factor is high in this whole thing. And what do you tell the kid when he asks how he came to be.”

 

“I’m sure you’ll come up with something. You’re the man who makes magic with words.” Justin let his hand find Brian’s cock, he squeezed and for once it wasn’t too hard a squeeze. He was getting better at hand control.

 

“Sam sure was happy when we told him.” Brian said. He sighed when Justin touched him and rubbed his hands over Justin’s arm. “I think he wants to be a Grandpa.”

 

“And why not? We are a rather unorthodox family, but we’re family.” He kissed Brian’s chest. “And best of all, our little family is filled with not only trust, but a lot of love.”

 

Cynthia moved into one of the guest rooms on the weekend. She and Justin worked on finalizing the building addition plans until they were satisfied. Brian was in touch with a realtor in Papeete the capital of Tahiti. He was looking for property on the small end of the island. It was more remote and offered more possibilities for seclusion. He was writing and enjoying it. And he knew Justin would fall in love with the island and maybe use it for inspiration to do some kind of art. He’d already arranged for satellite Internet service. As long as wherever they bought had electricity and running water he’d be happy.

 

Jimmy, Vanessa and their children stopped by on Sunday night. The kids brought the two dogs they’d adopted. The gardens were full of barking and laughing. The six adults sat on the rear patio. Justin had made a large pitcher of iced tea and everyone was relaxing. “I’m going to have to start charging for annoying calls.” Vanessa joked. “This week alone I’ve had more than forty calls from various members of your old group.”

“I suppose we have Lindsay to thank for letting them know that I could be reached through you guys. I’m sorry about that.”

“I was joking; I don’t mind. I must say they're all inventive in finding ways of insisting that you be contacted.”  Vanessa laughed. “I’m thinking of writing them all down and giving them numbers. Maybe start some kind of notice board on the Net.”

 

“We should compare notes. I’m sure I’ve heard all the excuses to get to Brian.” Cynthia laughed. “And boy were there some doozies.”

 

“No doubt it’ll get worse once I have Gus for my portion of the year.” Brian looked at Justin. “Justin insists we never tell them our address or phone number.”

 

“I have to agree with Justin.” Sam said. “Nothing good would come of it. The less those people know about your lives, the better it is as far as I’m concerned.”

 

“Once I’ve settled in, I’m going to have an office line. You could refer them to that and I’ll deal with all of them.” Cynthia offered. “The line won’t be traced to this address because we’ll be ordering it through the numbered company and that address is your office.”

 

“I’ll do it. We’ll set it up later.” The two women looked pleased with themselves. Both of them were strong women. No one would get past either one of them.

 

 “Things sure have changed since my day.” Sam said with a smile. “But I don’t mind. I’m looking forward to all the action around here.”

 

“You mean we don’t give you enough action old man?” Brian joked.

 

“Not that kind of action Mr. Kinney.” Sam laughed and so did the rest of them.

 

“How is the house hunt going in Tahiti?” Vanessa asked.

 

“We have three possibles lined up to see.” Justin replied. “Brian will make the final decision. All of them are waterfront. All of them are somewhat secluded. It’ll be interesting to see them and decide.”

 

“What about Cynthia?” Vanessa asked. “She may be pregnant while you’re gone.”

 

“I think I can answer that.” Cynthia said. “I'm an independent woman, much like Brian, only female. I think it's highly unlikely I’m going to go all needy just because I’m carrying a child. It’s been done since the beginning of time. Yes I expect hormonal changes, but I’ll deal. I’ll keep the boys posted as to what’s happening as the baby develops.”

 

“She’ll have me around if she needs a masculine influence.” Sam said with a smile.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 Two weeks later

 

“I love this place.” Justin was curled up next to Brian on a huge hammock. They were on the main veranda facing the water of their new Tahiti home.

 

“You just like to be waited on.” Brian teased. Their new home came complete with a compliment of workers, though Brian suspected the real estate agent was related to most of them.

 

“Of course I do. I like to think we’re supporting the local economy.”

 

“Half an hour more and then back to the books for you. I’m going to write while you study.” Brian knew Justin was responsible enough to continue his studies each day, but he liked to encourage him. It was easy to slack off in the tropics.

 

“Amura, would you like more tea?”

 

“No more for me Hereiti.” Justin smiled at the young girl who insisted on calling him Amura, the word for ‘big smile’. “How are your lessons going?”

 

“Very good.” She smiled, her shy smile. “I will show you my note book later in the day.” With a slight bow, she faded back into the house.

 

“You’ve made a conquest.” Brian teased. “Does she know you’re gay?”

 

“Hmmmm, I’m always wrapped around you. I think she’s figured it out. Not to mention that the girl is barely twelve. Sex isn’t on her mind as much as it's on yours.”

 

“I’m glad you found those online courses for her. She’s rather brilliant mathematically.”

 

“She’s a genius.” Justin managed to pull himself away from Brian without spilling them both on the floor. “Hey I’m getting better at this.”

 

“And about time, my ass has bruises that will never go away.”

 

“You are such a drama queen.” Justin danced away from Brian’s reach. Both he and Brian were wearing a wrap around sarong. Brian told Justin he was going to start a new trend in the Pitts by wearing them there in the nice weather.

 

Justin kept smiling as he walked into the house. It was open to the elements on all sides, yet could be closed off during storm times. He loved it. It was everything he thought of when he thought of the islands. The man who had designed and had it built had spared no expense. And now it was theirs.

 

They’d only been in Tahiti less than two weeks, yet the butterflies and birds that lived in the trees around their house had captivated him. How anyone could resist putting color to canvas in an attempt to capture the feel of the place was beyond him. For the first time since the bashing, he was painting.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

Two weeks later

 

“Amura Enterprises.” Brian had named the company he and Justin had formed to manage their affairs Amura Enterprises or Big Smile Enterprises, which is what Amura translated into. Cynthia loved the name and it was better than saying ‘Kinney’ residence.

 

“I’m looking for Brian Kinney. I was given this number.” Lindsay tried to keep the nervousness out of her voice.

 

“I’m sorry, but Mr. Kinney is unavailable at the moment. Would you like to leave a message?”

 

“Uhm, I’d like to speak with him about his son.”

 

“Is Gus ill, or hurt?” Cynthia asked.

 

“No, no Gus is alright. I just wanted to talk to Brian about him.”

 

“Mr. Kinney will be available to Gus July 1st. I’m sure they will have lots of time to bond.”

 

“Look, I WANT TO TALK TO BRIAN NOW!” Lindsay’s anger roared.

 

Click!

 

Cynthia had disconnected.

 

A few minutes later the phone rang again.

 

“Amura Enterprises.”

 

“This is Fedex, we have a delivery for a Brian Kinney, could I confirm the address please?”

 

“I’m sorry, but Mr. Kinney does not accept any deliveries unless previously arranged.” Cynthia smiled to herself. This one had to be Ted.

 

Click!

 

Cynthia disconnected.

 

It went on like that all day. Cynthia barely had time to organize the office and get some work done that Brian had requested. She could appreciate now what Vanessa had been going through. Just before leaving for the day, she put a call into Brian.

 

“Hey Boss.”

 

“Hey yourself. Working hard?” Brian sipped a red colored drink that Justin handed him.

 

“Just another day at the office. Oh and by the way, you’re going to be a father again. Everything's right on schedule.”

 

“How could I expect any less from the two of us? We were always well organized and worked as a team. Our kid couldn’t be any less.” Brian grinned at Justin who rolled his eyes up.

 

“We have a young girl here who needs to continue her education in the States. I have permission from her parents for her to live with Justin and I. I’ll be sending an email with the particulars of her studies and requirements that need to be met. Would you handle this for us please?” Brian and Justin wanted to give young Hereiti a chance to be everything she could be.

 

“Ahhhh Boss you said please.” Cynthia giggled. “Oops sorry, hormones.”

 

“Right.” Brian disconnected and then turned to Justin. “We’ll be going back soon. Can you believe the household we’ll have? Maisie and her brood, Cat, Gus, Cynthia waddling, Hereiti and Sam.”

 

“We’ve got tons of room.” Justin danced around the large open space that was their home. “And now we have a daughter.”

 

“We have a guest who is twelve and a girl.” Brian clarified.

 

“We have an almost daughter.” Justin continued to dance. “Hey I’m almost as good as you at dancing. The heat must be good for me.”

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

July 1st - Pittsburgh

 

Justin was waiting in Jimmy’s office for Lindsay to arrive with Gus. The custody arrangements were clear. He would be delivered and picked up at the lawyer’s office. She was to bring Gus and any toys or clothing that he was particularly attached to. Everything else during his time with his father would be provided.

 

She was to include a written list of any vital information required to keep the child healthy and happy.

 

Justin was nervous. He hoped that the woman wouldn’t make a scene. It would be bad for the child and irritating for him.

 

The door opened and Lindsay was shown in. She was carrying Gus who wanted to walk. “Brian had better be here.” She hissed as she put the child down.

 

“No, Brian doesn’t want to see you. You know that. I’ll take Gus to our home.” Justin squatted down. “Hey little guy, you look handsome today.”

 

Gus ran into Justin’s arms. “Da Da come?”

 

“We’re going to Daddy right now.” He smiled at the boy. “Where are his things?”

 

“There aren’t any.” Lindsay replied.

 

“What about a bear or blanket or sleep thing of some kind?”

 

“A child shouldn’t become attached to meaningless objects.” She sniffed. “I was told Brian would provide for him. Well ... let him do just that.” She turned and walked out the door.

 

“Mama?” Gus asked watching his mother leave. “Mama bye bye.”

 

“Mama goes byebye.” Justin agreed. “Let’s go find your daddy.”

 

“Da Da!” Gus held out his arms to Brian who walked through the door. He’d been waiting in another office and watching everything on a monitor.

 

“Gus.” Brian picked his son up and kissed him. “You're such a big boy now.”

 

“Yah, big boy.” Gus agreed.

 

Justin was busy snapping pictures of his two favorite men. “Time to go home Gus and see your new sister. Her name is Hereiti.”

 

“Hiri?” Gus looked around.

 

“Close enough. Hereiti is in school, we’ll pick her up on the way home.” Brian smiled and waved at Vanessa and Jimmy who were standing by Vanessa desk. “We’ll see you guys on the weekend for the barbeque.”

 

“We’ll be there.”

 

Justin waited for Brian to strap Gus into his car seat. “We have an hour before picking up Hereiti. Where do you want to go?” Justin asked.

 

“Take us to the mall where that build a bear place is. Gus needs a bear.” Brian sat in the passenger seat so that he could watch his son. It had been a long time since he’d seen him last.

 

Justin couldn’t help himself, he leaned over and kissed Brian soundly. “I told you, you’re an old softy.”

 

The hour spent at Build A Bear provided a lot of fodder for Justin’s camera. Brian let Gus walk in the mall until the boy was tired. And then he lifted him in his arms and they began the process of making Gus a bear. At the end, Brian convinced Gus that the bear needed to wear a leather jacket and hat and a pair of blue jeans. Gus spotted sneakers and they were added to the bear. Justin found pajamas for the bear. He suspected that Gus was going to want to have his bear dressed for bed eventually.

 

Gus was sleepy after all the activity, but he woke up when they parked in front of Saint James Academy. All the bustle of school letting out held his interest. He looked surprised when the door opened beside him and a young girl scrambled in. “Hey Dads.” Hereiti had decided that since Brian and Justin were fathers to Gus, then they could be her father as well. Her own father didn’t mind, she’d asked him before she’d left Tahiti.

 

“Hey there Princess.” Brian and Justin said.

 

“Gus, hi, I’m your sister Hereiti.” She smiled at the boy who looked at her shyly. “I love your bear. Did you make it?” She recognized the bear since Brian and Justin had taken her to the store to make one for her first week in Pittsburgh.

 

“Love Bear.” Gus said and patted where the bear’s heart was. “Love inside.”

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

“Sorry, you’re on the banned list.” The bouncer at Babylon, pushed his hand against Ted’s chest.

 

“Why?” Ted had been too shocked to ask at the last three clubs, but this was Babylon and he was known here.

 

“Word’s out that it was you that started that shit about Kinney. Stuff like that makes us all look bad to the straights out there. At your age Schmidt, you should know better.” The bouncer stood by to let in two more men. Both of them pushed roughly past Ted.

 

“For how long?” Ted asked, he was shaken that it was known who had told on Brian with the gossip rag.

 

“Life you loser.” The bouncer turned his back on Ted effectively dismissing the man.

 

“Hey Teddy.” Emmett bounced up to his friend. “You coming in?”

 

“No.” Ted replied, there was no way he was going to let Emmett know he was banned from the club. “I’m busy tonight.” He turned and walked away, not waiting for Emmett to answer.

 

Things had been bad for him for the past few months. It was all the fault of Brian as far as Ted was concerned. He wasn’t sure how Kinney had managed to wiggle out of the mess he’d been in, but wiggle out he had.

 

He needed to get in touch with Justin. Maybe the kid could make things right. He’d always been an easy touch back in the old days.

 

“Ted, how’s it going?” Ted looked up surprised to see Michael out so late.

 

“Not bad.” Ted stopped. “You’re out late.”

 

“I’m meeting Emmett at Babylon.” Michael replied. “Why don’t you come?”

 

“Can’t.” Ted didn’t elaborate. “I haven’t seen you in the diner lately.”

 

“I’ve got a second job.” Michael admitted. “I need to help Ma with some expenses.”

 

“I thought she did okay at the diner.” Ted was sure Debbie was still working the same number of shifts.

 

“Her tips have been way down. She figures that for some reason she’s short close to two hundred a week.”

 

“Wow, that’s a lot.” Ted was shocked at the amount. “I can’t believe business has been that bad.”

 

“That’s the weird thing. Ma says business is the same as always. She just doesn’t understand why she isn’t making the same tips as before.”

 

“Hey, did you hear about Melanie?” Ted asked. “She’s on probation with the state bar and her company. Lindsay had to get a job teaching again.”

 

“Yeah, Ma was telling me Brian took Gus away from them. I can’t believe he did that. Brian isn’t the kid type.”

 

“It’s just for six months. Brian only has Gus part of the year.” He looked around as if checking whether someone would over hear them. “Between you and I, Melanie and Linds are enjoying this kid free time. Mel has more time to hang with Linds, no late nights working. They’re going to Vegas this weekend on some lesbian tour thing. Mel figures Brian will be sick of having a kid around full time after this six months and he’ll hand over Gus and forget about this stupid custody thing.”

 

“I don’t know. Brian’s pretty stubborn. I wonder if he’s working?”

 

“If he is, it’s nowhere around here.” Ted shrugged. “He burned those bridges but good when his book was released.” It had been an expose of the advertising world.

 

“No shit. I saw on ET that it’s going to be a movie. I wonder who’ll play Brian.” Speculation on Brian’s book and the subsequent movie deal had fed the gossip queens on Liberty Avenue for weeks. Michael looked at Ted. “He still won’t talk to me. I think it’s Justin who’s keeping him away. I bet if it wasn’t for that little shit, Brian would be at the diner now.”

 

“I don’t think so.” Ted looked at Michael. “Mel and I have been trying to talk to Brian for a while now. We can’t get past Cynthia. Did you know she’s working for Brian and Justin?”

 

“I know. I’ve talked to her to. Even Ma has talked to her. The only person I know who has talked to Brian is Uncle Vic and he won’t say anything other than Brian is doing fine, Justin is doing fine, Gus is doing fine.”

 

“I see a theme here.” Ted snarked. “So everyone is one big happy family and the rest us can go jump in the lake.”

 

“That’s about it.” Michael shrugged.

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

Years later

“Our first high school graduate.” Brian looked pleased as he and Justin, Gus, Emmy and the other children filed into seats to watch Hereiti graduate from Saint James. All of the children as well as Brian and Justin were tanned with a golden glow. Their Tahiti times kept them all dusky, even Justin. Brian helped the youngest member, Bray, to settle beside Gus.

 

“Hey dad.” Gus whispered. “Hereiti is the smallest one up there.” He was always teasing his oldest sister about her slight body size and small stature. “I want lots of pictures.” He pulled out his camera and began snapping.

 

“No teasing your sister.” Emmy said.

 

The ceremony started and everyone was silent as they watched the first Kinney graduate.

 

Brian and Justin held hands, both lost in thought as the past years ran through their minds. Neither one had anything to do with any of the old gang. They only stayed in Pittsburgh during the school year and during all vacation times they headed to their Tahiti home.

 

Brian was now a well-known author, having had three best sellers and two movies made from his books.

 

Justin was an acclaimed artist in various media. He sold out in all of his shows wherever they were held.

 

“You were right.” Justin whispered. “The best revenge in the world is being successful. But you forgot to mention the children. The children make it even better.”

 

October 29, 2010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Thank you to all of you who followed this story and added a few words of encouragement. It meant a lot to me. 

This story archived at https://midnightwhispers.net/viewstory.php?sid=1469